ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Remembering to appreciate Mahomes Magic (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=346490)

BigRedChief 12-12-2022 09:14 AM

Remembering to appreciate Mahomes Magic

Let’s be honest, despite all the negativity on the field and among Chief fans in here, in the long run, the only thing we all will remember about this game is the Mahomes Magic no look TD pass.

Let’s focus on what’s important, besides the win, appreciation of seeing our teams HOF QB making plays no one has ever seen before. How far we have come....:clap:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Mahomes magic! 🪄<br><br>📺: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/KCvsDEN?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#KCvsDEN</a> on CBS<br>📱: Stream on NFL+ <a href="https://t.co/TzmdzbFm9o">https://t.co/TzmdzbFm9o</a> <a href="https://t.co/AVyeGJYeHV">pic.twitter.com/AVyeGJYeHV</a></p>&mdash; NFL (@NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1602056800911491072?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 11, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Molitoth 12-12-2022 09:15 AM

Don't read the comments on twitter, as everyone is claiming that it was NOT no look and that Mahomes sucks because he threw 3 INT's.

I hate that cesspool.

displacedinMN 12-12-2022 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 16662743)
Don't read the comments on twitter, as everyone is claiming that it was NOT no look and that Mahomes sucks because he threw 3 INT's.

I hate that cesspool.

who cares what they say.

I also think, that mckinnon was a little surprised, but now realizes the greatness that is Mahomes

BigRedChief 12-12-2022 09:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I hate that cesspool.

Mahomes Magic no look scoreboard

Fansy the Famous Bard 12-12-2022 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16662772)
No look scoreboard

He looks as if he's casting a spell in that picture.

Best22 12-12-2022 09:25 AM

Team is young and 10-3 and people are acting like we’re in the midst of a collapse like the 1995 Raiders

Sure, a team that has a game like that isn’t gonna win a Super Bowl. Just like a team that blows a 9 point lead to Tannehill and loses 35-32 isn’t going to win a Super Bowl either…you never know what’s gonna happen in January

wazu 12-12-2022 09:30 AM

Sometime this season, after the Colts game, I just decided I'm going to stay as positive as possible when watching games, even when bad stuff is happening. It would be a crime to spend this golden era of Chiefs fandom just angrily yelling at my TV. Just sit back and know that Mahomes is going to make it all okay.

MahomesMagic 12-12-2022 09:32 AM

Get to the playoffs and that guy is our QB and Andy Reid is calling plays.

I'm good with that.

AdolfOliverBush 12-12-2022 09:58 AM

I'd like to thank Orlando Brown Jr. for making this play possible.

Rainbarrel 12-12-2022 09:59 AM

That's about when Broncos went, "Oh no, not this again F-O-C-U-S"

Eleazar 12-12-2022 10:06 AM

Come on, that dude is a ****ty poster

crayzkirk 12-12-2022 10:13 AM

Yeah, it's good to remember that this won't last forever and we are watching a premier talent on our team.

For me, I think the years of disappointment get brought back up when things start going wrong. A flood of negative emotions gets me going down that negative path and it's hard to stop the slide once I get on it. The reaction happens like playing a record/tape/bluray. Almost a Pavlov dogian response...

I think 'Because Chiefs' should be categorized as a form of PTSD...

BigRedChief 12-12-2022 10:14 AM

Seth Kysor is thinking along the same lines in his column this am
———————————————————

We're normalizing Patrick Mahomes. We really shouldn't

On an off day, Mahomes still showed that he's unlike anything we've ever seen in the NFL. And we can't forget what we're watching in real time.

So yes, we could talk about a number of frustrating things (defensive execution, coaching errors, some really poor decisions from Mahomes) that led to the Chiefs’ win over the Broncos being MUCH closer than it should have been. But that would be breaking the (totally self-imposed) rules. So we’ll talk about some of that stuff later in the week, and we’ll dissect some bad decision-making by the Chiefs’ quarterback at that point.

But first, we need to talk about Mahomes. I mean REALLY talk about him. Because somewhere along the way, stuff like this got normalized.

Possible paywall for the rest
https://open.substack.com/pub/mnchie...m_medium=email

Bearcat 12-12-2022 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 16662787)
Sometime this season, after the Colts game, I just decided I'm going to stay as positive as possible when watching games, even when bad stuff is happening. It would be a crime to spend this golden era of Chiefs fandom just angrily yelling at my TV. Just sit back and know that Mahomes is going to make it all okay.

:clap:

I have such a long view of things these days, that it just doesn't matter. For years it was "fight and claw for every win, hope you end up around 10-6, then pray for a playoff miracle".... and a game like yesterday really mattered towards that goal (not that they were ever going to do anything in the playoffs).

Now... they'll be in the SB conversation most years. They'll most likely win another one, maybe two, maybe 3+ as long long as Mahomes is healthy and they don't completely **** up the rest of the roster. It's obviously not fun to watch them with their heads up their asses, but I'm not going to throw shit at the TV over it either.

And kind of like how they say you live up to your paycheck, we have lived up to the success and get angry about not being the 1 seed or maybe only making it to the AFCCG in a year where we traded Tyreek, turned over that unit, and turned over the secondary.

I believe we used to call Patriots fans spoiled dipshits for complaining about things like that. LMAO

BryanBusby 12-12-2022 10:24 AM

I think the thing is, everyone wants to make it an either or sort of thing when really it can be both.

Pat can have a pretty bad day, but still be an incredibly good passer. It happens and it happens to them all.

scho63 12-12-2022 10:31 AM

Those three INTs were all EXCELLENT catches by the D.

Last week he threw a duck that should have been picked.

This week guys made some unbelievable snags. Jewell looked like a WR the way he snagged the two he caught and Surtain, an All Pro made a twisting dive to get under the ball before it hit the ground by a nanosecond.

Let's not act like they were horrible passes.

Molitoth 12-12-2022 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 16662869)
Those three INTs were all EXCELLENT catches by the D.

Last week he threw a duck that should have been picked.

This week guys made some unbelievable snags. Jewell looked like a WR the way he snagged the two he caught and Surtain, an All Pro made a twisting dive to get under the ball before it hit the ground by a nanosecond.

Let's not act like they were horrible passes.

The first 2 were great defensive plays, but that last one was thrown into like quadruple coverage if I remember correctly...

I remember it being a REALLY bad decision.

I could be wrong?

Monticore 12-12-2022 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 16662877)
The first 2 were great defensive plays, but that last one was thrown into like quadruple coverage if I remember correctly...

I could be wrong?

Not the first time he has done it this year like that throw to Kelce earlier this year that people rave about He missed his window by a foot and the LB drifted off his guy more than Pat expected, I’m fine with it.

Mecca 12-12-2022 10:48 AM

Quote:

I hate that cesspool.

Mahomes is a victim of his success, you win an MVP, a SB, SB MVP, win 80% of your games you start and go on a pace to shatter all the records...fans of other teams get jealous and want to pick him apart, especially if they have a QB too.

Grim 12-12-2022 10:48 AM

Quote:

I could be wrong?

The first and third INTs were bad decisions by Mahomes.
Jewell showed some great reflexes on the first INT but he was in a good position to make the play.

Wallcrawler 12-12-2022 10:50 AM

Oh.

According to Pete, Mahomes should have walked home from Denver.

Wisconsin_Chief 12-12-2022 11:06 AM

It's pretty crazy what a spoiled fanbase we've become, myself included. Everyone's pissed off after we beat the Broncos for the 14th straight time (utterly amazing) but it was *only* by 6 points and everything didn't go perfectly. We have our 10th consecutive winning season locked up, are on the cusp of a 7th straight division title, right in the mix for the top seed in the conference. In a "retooling" year none the less.

I always told myself if we ever became a legit top flight organization with a real QB, I would appreciate every second of it. A little reflection is definitely in order for many of us. It will never, ever get better than this football wise. To expect it to is being completely unreasonable.

DaFace 12-12-2022 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief (Post 16662964)
It's pretty crazy what a spoiled fanbase we've become, myself included. Everyone's pissed off after we beat the Broncos for the 14th straight time (utterly amazing) but it was *only* by 6 points and everything didn't go perfectly. We have our 10th consecutive winning season locked up, are on the cusp of a 7th straight division title, right in the mix for the top seed in the conference. In a "retooling" year none the less.

I always told myself if we ever became a legit top flight organization with a real QB, I would appreciate every second of it. A little reflection is definitely in order for many of us. It will never, ever get better than this football wise. To expect it to is being completely unreasonable.

The Broncos have lost most of their games this year by one score. The difference between a "dominant" team and a "horrible" team is often just in how they close out games.

Was this our best showing? Obviously not. But it was unlikely to be a blowout anyway. A W is a W.

crayzkirk 12-12-2022 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 16662845)
I believe we used to call Patriots fans spoiled dipshits for complaining about things like that. LMAO

Agreed... Of course, the AFC West isn't a total disaster zone like the East was during the Patriots dominance. Plus it always seems like there were a number of questionable calls that always seemed to favor one team over the other.

Probably just my own bias however being friends with the NFL Commissioner seemed to have some perks.

The defense is my main frustration; again, drafting at the bottom of each round makes it difficult to find those premier players. Moving up to the top of the first round to draft a dominant edge rusher is going to be mostly impossible.

BigRedChief 12-12-2022 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief (Post 16662964)

THIS!
We were all on here bitching and moaning for years if we only had a great QB. Wellll that time has arrived.

Imon Yourside 12-12-2022 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush (Post 16662816)
I'd like to thank Orlando Brown Jr. for making this play possible.

LOL No

loochy 12-12-2022 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razaele (Post 16662831)
Come on, that dude is a ****ty poster

lol, yeah, they way that OP capitalized "Mahomes Magic" made the first thing I thought of the dude that is obsessed with COVID vaccines.

loochy 12-12-2022 02:17 PM

we won't be able to truly apprecaite this until it's gone

ChiefsFanatic 12-12-2022 02:24 PM

Quote:

Criticizing Spags and the defense every time they coach and play like shit ISN'T being negative.

Not being a blind homer is NOT being a bad fan.

The excuses for the defense are ridiculous, but I don't think The Spags Ball Washing Brigade is full of bad fans.

I mean, the excuse gymnastics it takes to actually blame Mahomes because the defense gave up 4 TDs to a ridiculously bad offense, is off the charts ignorant, yet some good fans have actually gone down that path.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk

J Diddy 12-12-2022 02:26 PM

Quote:

I could be wrong?

From what I recall I remember the same. I also remember an almost overwhelming determination not to run. Even if it is was there (I can't cite the specifics so I might be totally wrong). I know he wouldn't have got the first down if he tried to run for it on the flip to JM.

notorious 12-12-2022 02:26 PM

Mahomes is amazing and we are lucky to have him.

If you take away the risky "dumb" throws, you take away a huge part of what makes him great. That instinct to fire away is what wins a LOT of games, even the big ones.

notorious 12-12-2022 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 16663343)

Enjoy it.

Every single day.

Eleazar 12-12-2022 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 16663336)
lol, yeah, they way that OP capitalized "Mahomes Magic" made the first thing I thought of the dude that is obsessed with COVID vaccines.

Glad someone got it LMAO

HC_Chief 12-12-2022 02:31 PM

IMO the TD to JJSS was just as impressive (if not moreso; McKinnon gets a ton of credit as well for excellent YAC in OP)

BigRedChief 12-12-2022 04:37 PM

Quote:

I know and that sucks.

I’ve been a fan since Lenny “the cool” era. That means the 80’s are included in my fandom. There was a lot of losing. Bad losing. Years of it.

Don’t get me wrong, watch a game with me or look at my posts in chat, and I may complain the whole game about something. But, after the game, especially now, you realize this is the golden era of Chiefs football. Nothing in my fan lifetime will be better than the Mahomes era. This is the cake. Desert. And I love cake. :thumb:

CasselGotPeedOn 12-12-2022 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 16662922)
Oh.

According to Pete, Mahomes should have walked home from Denver.

A good rule of thumb is that Pete is a compete reerun.

stevieray 12-12-2022 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crayzkirk (Post 16662841)
Yeah, it's good to remember that this won't last forever and we are watching a premier talent on our team.

For me, I think the years of disappointment get brought back up when things start going wrong. A flood of negative emotions gets me going down that negative path and it's hard to stop the slide once I get on it. The reaction happens like playing a record/tape/bluray. Almost a Pavlov dogian response...

I think 'Because Chiefs' should be categorized as a form of PTSD...

Not me.

I waited 50 years for another Super Bowl and was at both the Texans & Titans comeback playoff games. Couldn't have scripted it any better, even the comeback in the SB. Uphill. all. the. way.

They more than scratched that itch. I just don't get that upset with them anymore. It IS extremely hard to win in this league, even with the oh so once in a lifetime talents like Pat and Kelce. It's all just glorious to watch and be a fan of.

Lenny and Co hooked me for life.
Mahomes and Co are the cherry on top.

IowaHawkeyeChief 12-12-2022 09:00 PM

Quote:

No doubt, I can't imagine some of the newer and younger fans having never really experienced Chiefs football before Andy Reid and even more so before Mahomes. They may have went mentally insane if they get this mad and crazy in the GDT over this team...

Demonpenz 12-12-2022 09:01 PM

the thigcat and that one bearded tight end

BigRedChief 12-13-2022 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 16664137)
Not me.

I waited 50 years for another Super Bowl and was at both the Texans & Titans comeback playoff games. Couldn't have scripted it any better, even the comeback in the SB. Uphill. all. the. way.

They more than scratched that itch. I just don't get that upset with them anymore. It IS extremely hard to win in this league, even with the oh so once in a lifetime talents like Pat and Kelce. It's all just glorious to watch and be a fan of.

Lenny and Co hooked me for life.
Mahomes and Co are the cherry on top.

We are brothers from another mother. :clap:

KC_Connection 12-13-2022 02:08 AM

The GDT was trashing him for a good hour after he threw his two picks on Sunday even after this ridiculous pass. Picks are going to happen with his playing style, but it really feels like too many still take what he is and what he does for granted.

We'll never see a player as good as him again in this franchise. Enjoy it while it lasts.

PAChiefsGuy 12-13-2022 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Best22 (Post 16662776)
Team is young and 10-3 and people are acting like we’re in the midst of a collapse like the 1995 Raiders

Sure, a team that has a game like that isn’t gonna win a Super Bowl. Just like a team that blows a 9 point lead to Tannehill and loses 35-32 isn’t going to win a Super Bowl either…you never know what’s gonna happen in January

This is really getting old.

Just because some fans weren't happy with defense's bad performance and Mahomes throwing the ball around like he was playing Madden when Chiefs were up 27-0 doesn't mean we think Chiefs are in the midst of a collapse like the 1995 Raiders.

They can do better and they would be the first to admit that.

True longtime Chief fans been through a lot over the years. To act like any of us don't appreciate Mahomes -- is ridiculous.

Rasputin 12-13-2022 04:05 AM

The best flattery for Mahomes is that kids are in back yards trying immulate every play Patrick Mahomes makes that's incredible. So these kids are our future NFL stars that may actually be better than Patrick because they are doing his things at an early age. This means football future is bright all thanks to its savior Patrick Mahomes II. He really reserectected a lot of fans interest.

Monticore 12-13-2022 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rasputin (Post 16664471)
The best flattery for Mahomes is that kids are in back yards trying immulate every play Patrick Mahomes makes that's incredible. So these kids are our future NFL stars that may actually be better than Patrick because they are doing his things at an early age. This means football future is bright all thanks to its savior Patrick Mahomes II. He really reserectected a lot of fans interest.

My brother was never a big football fan , now he is a huge chiefs fan , will he still be a fan after Pat is gone probably not but it is pretty wild how one guy has brought a bunch of new fans to the game .

Coogs 12-13-2022 06:12 AM

Quote:

Not us old farts. We've already seen 45 to 50 years of what it takes to truly apprreciate this now. And trust me, we do!

Wallcrawler 12-14-2022 12:17 PM

I don't care WHAT the outcome is.

If that kid wants to throw the ball, I'm 1000% ready to live and die with the outcome, because 99% of the time the result is going to be positive, and about half the time, I'm struggling to keep my eyebrows from climbing off my head in amazement at what he just did.

That's an elite unit that made 3 huge plays to get those picks.

Those weren't Fred Warner in the SB picks. Not many linebackers in the league are going to get to those passes like Jewell did. The Surtain II pick was just ****ing batshit insanely good.

They get paid to play too.

jerryaldini 12-14-2022 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 16664488)
Not us old farts. We've already seen 45 to 50 years of what it takes to truly apprreciate this now. And trust me, we do!

A decade of Steve Fuller, Bill Kinney , Todd Blackledge, and Steve DeBerg for those that go way back! One playoff game, a 35-15 drubbing by the Jets!

Rainbarrel 12-16-2022 11:57 AM

In his third NFL season, Jalen Hurts has emerged as an MVP candidate, helping catapult the Philadelphia Eagles to a 12-1 record, the best in the NFL. However, former quarterback and current NBC Sports analyst Chris Simms doesn't believe Hurts' value is at the level of the league's elite passers.

"There's just no way he's more valuable to his team than (Patrick) Mahomes, (Joe) Burrow, or (Josh) Allen. No way," Simms said.

Not only would Hurts not receive an MVP vote from Simms, but he also thinks the Eagles' machine would keep rolling undeterred without him.

"If you put Gardner Minshew in, the Eagles, they'd still be really damn good, I'm sorry," Simms said.

Simms cites the Eagles' depth, which seemingly reaches throughout the team, as why he believes Hurts isn't as impactful to the team's success as he seems. But, Hurts' numbers speak for themselves.

Through 13 games, Hurts has already hit career-highs in passing yards (3,157) and passing touchdowns (22) and is averaging a career-best 68 percent completion percentage. Hurts has rushed for 686 yards and 10 touchdowns on the ground, averaging 4.9 yards per carry.

The 24-year-old also leads the NFL with a 108.4 passer rating and holds the league's lowest interception percentage at 0.8.

Perhaps Simms is only piggybacking off comments made this week by Dallas Cowboys' linebacker Micah Parsons, who also questioned Hurts' MVP hype. Or he's trying to justify his quarterback rankings posted ahead of the 2022 season, where he had a plethora of questionable players ranked ahead of Hurts.

AdolfOliverBush 12-16-2022 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainbarrel (Post 16669417)
Through 13 games, Hurts has already hit career-highs in passing yards (3,157) and passing touchdowns (22)

In 13 games? Matt Cassel laughs at those shitty stats.

ToxSocks 12-16-2022 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainbarrel (Post 16669417)
But, Hurts' numbers speak for themselves.

Through 13 games, Hurts has already hit career-highs in passing yards (3,157) and passing touchdowns (22) and is averaging a career-best 68 percent completion percentage. Hurts has rushed for 686 yards and 10 touchdowns on the ground, averaging 4.9 yards per carry.

This shit just makes me cringe.

"Hey guys, if you compare his numbers this season to how shit he was the prior two seasons, his numbers speak for themselves! MVP!"

jjchieffan 12-16-2022 01:57 PM

He really is so amazing. I often wonder if I'll ever be able to enjoy football again after he retires. Realistically speaking, it's very unlikely that we ever see anything like this again. And how can we be satisfied seeing less after years of seeing such greatness?

loochy 12-16-2022 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 16669571)
He really is so amazing. I often wonder if I'll ever be able to enjoy football again after he retires. Realistically speaking, it's very unlikely that we ever see anything like this again. And how can we be satisfied seeing less after years of seeing such greatness?

You're talking about Jalen Hurts, right?

TripleThreat 12-16-2022 06:15 PM

Quote:

This is all facts. People really underestimate the age we are living in with Mahomes and even with Kelce..... Kelce is going to leave soon but Mahomes will still be here for at least another decade... That just sounds cool.

Unfortunately some fans have their expectations set so high that they don't realize those expectations are no longer a reality if/when Mahomes retires. So enjoy it, because your expectations are only what they are because of who is behind center and the big man holding the clipboard.

RealSNR 12-16-2022 07:33 PM

I'd be okay with Hurts winning MVP, but only because a RB hasn't won the award in awhile!

Coogs 12-16-2022 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerryaldini (Post 16666747)
A decade of Steve Fuller, Bill Kinney , Todd Blackledge, and Steve DeBerg for those that go way back! One playoff game, a 35-15 drubbing by the Jets!

I go a little further back than that. I've watched all 4 Super Bowls the Chiefs played in, and a few other NFL and AFL Championship games/seasons prior to those.

Trust me. I appreciate this guy. I've seen some of the best the NFL has to offer, probably starting with Johnny Unites. I'd take Mahomes over any of them!