ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Have you ever used a personal trainer? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=343838)

SuperChief 05-16-2022 12:42 PM

Have you ever used a personal trainer?

Long story short, my wife and I are both starting a new journey w/ fitness and food. We're seeing a dietician soon to get some help with the food part, but we've also been considering getting a personal trainer (either one for both of us or separate - either option is on the table).

Does anyone here have experience with one? What are some good questions to ask to make sure I get the "right" one? Any tips to set us up for success in this process?

Hog's Gone Fishin 05-16-2022 12:44 PM

Why pay for all that when you have all the expertise right, Here!

I'll get you started.

I want 100 jumping jacks done and then eat a friggin salad.

There, you're welcome.

dmahurin 05-16-2022 12:46 PM

I talked with/worked with one a little bit at the gym. Planet fitness has one available for all members. 10 bucks a month gets you gym access and a trainer to help guide you out when starting. Even if you want a different gym, 10 bucks a month to have access to a trainer is cheap.

smithandrew051 05-16-2022 12:46 PM

Billay gave me free training.

Kind of a weird experience though. I wore more leather masks and fuzzy handcuffs than any other workout I’ve ever had.

The camera in the corner of the room was a little odd. I assume he was making demo videos for other clients.

seclark 05-16-2022 12:49 PM

Watch out for your cornhole
sec

ToxSocks 05-16-2022 12:50 PM

At the very least they work to help you stay on track. I've seen people have improved results by switching to a personal trainer. It's like hiring one makes you feel more required to stick to your workouts and diet. A combination of the trainer holding you more accountable, and your wallet holding you more accountable.

Anything you can do to help you get into "workout mode" and stay there.

lewdog 05-16-2022 12:52 PM

I used to BE a personal trainer. Worth the money to learn what you are doing and be held accountable for showing up. After you get a routine and start making yourself accountable, you won't need a trainer.

Health is your biggest asset. If you need to pay someone to get started, you're worth the investment.

Rainbarrel 05-16-2022 12:56 PM

The participation trophy a 3-way

dmahurin 05-16-2022 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 16296269)
I used to BE a personal trainer. Worth the money to learn what you are doing and be held accountable for showing up. After you get a routine and start making yourself accountable, you won't need a trainer.

Health is your biggest asset. If you need to pay someone to get started, you're worth the investment.

I had meniscus repair/cleanup about a year ago. Everything feels fine but I still don't "trust" it if that makes sense. Any good stretches/strength things you would recommend?

lewdog 05-16-2022 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmahurin (Post 16296287)
I had meniscus repair/cleanup about a year ago. Everything feels fine but I still don't "trust" it if that makes sense. Any good stretches/strength things you would recommend?

Holy **** I'm not giving you exercise advice over the internet for that.

#liability

Dunerdr 05-16-2022 01:03 PM

My wife was a personal trainer when we met. I used her to make 2 children. Does that count?

dmahurin 05-16-2022 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 16296298)
Holy **** I'm not giving you exercise advice over the internet for that.

#liability

Come on, live a little.

lewdog 05-16-2022 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmahurin (Post 16296306)
Come on, live a little.

Stretching is pretty over-rated. Do a dynamic warmup instead to get loose and then lift weights with very slow and controlled form for your knee. The variety of exercises are up to you and your prior lifting experience.

dmahurin 05-16-2022 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 16296312)
Stretching is pretty over-rated. Do a dynamic warmup instead to get loose and then lift weights with very slow and controlled form for your knee. The variety of exercises are up to you and your prior lifting experience.

Have you seen the knees over toes guy on YouTube? Is he bullshit or is any of that stuff decent advise?

lewdog 05-16-2022 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmahurin (Post 16296317)
Have you seen the knees over toes guy on YouTube? Is he bullshit or is any of that stuff decent advise?

Not really. What's he saying?

Vladimir_Kyrilytch 05-16-2022 01:26 PM

Why would I use a personal trainer when i have glutes like these? I think it would just embarass the man.

SupDock 05-16-2022 01:32 PM

I am torn on this. I think there are a lot of good trainers and a lot of bad trainers. I think the accountability is a good thing, and having someone giving you feedback is also good. Also some people have no idea how to safely use equipment, so a trainer is very helpful.

Assessing your goals is quite important.
If you are someone that really struggles with being motivated at the gym, a trainer can be very helpful to ensure you efficiently use your time.

There is no shortage of information available to lead you in your fitness goals.

I will say that many of them have no idea what the literature says in regards to exercise physiology (there is a lot of conflict in the literature though).

My wife wanted to hire a trainer to gain strength. The trainer she spoke to wanted her doing cardio for 30-40 minutes before starting her time with the trainer.
This makes absolutely no sense. You want someone who is exercise naive to waste their energy for 40 minutes prior to strength training? That’s a recipe for burnout and low energy strength training.

SupDock 05-16-2022 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmahurin (Post 16296287)

If you look up “knee rehab pdf” you should get some good information. You probably need to go to physical therapy.

chiefzilla1501 05-16-2022 01:37 PM

I’ve used an impersonal trainer. Knew his stuff but was kind of a dick.

chinaski 05-16-2022 01:38 PM

Yes. Couple scenarios.

The first one was really good, but I didn't take it seriously enough at the time. Still though, I saw some pretty good results. Twice a week.

Second round was through a Commercial Gym. I took it much more seriously and worked out on my own as well. I saw results, but I chalk a lot of that up to my own initiative.

I'm in pretty decent shape. I eat pretty clean, run and work out religiously.

Interestingly enough, I saw the best results when the gyms were closed during the pandemic. Body weight exercises, running etc. Lots of pushups, pull-ups, dips etc. I was in the best shape of my life, and I did it on my own.

FWIW, I was 264lbs at my peak. 40inch waist, XL and XXL Shirts. Right now I am about 185, 32inch waist and wear a Medium shirt. I got as low as 169lbs, but I think I was too thin.

Trainers are great, but you can do it on your own.

Clyde Frog 05-16-2022 01:40 PM

I also used to be a trainer. Adding to what Lewdog said…

Do:
- ask if it’s ok to exchange numbers w your trainer so it’s easier to work out any schedule changes.
- Clearly communicate your goals to your trainer, up front, even if you feel embarrassed by how “little” they are. It’ll help them formulate a plan to help you reach them.
- Let them know of schedule changes as far in advance as possible.
- Let them know what kind of reinforcement motivates you.
- Show up on time for sessions. Best to show up 10-15 minutes early so you can put your stuff in a locker and get a warm up in to maximize the time you are paying for.
- Take pics, for you, of your self at set intervals. You might not feel the changes or see them in the mirror when you’re looking at your self each day but you will certainly see them over time and it will keep you motivated.

Do not:
- Text your trainer at random ass times without a valid reason. They have lives and other clients.
- Lie to your trainer about what you ate and drank if you are not seeing results.
- Drink a bunch before an early morning session then come in hungover or still drunk. Even if you can’t smell it, you stink and the trainer has to work closely w you. It’s gross.
- Let a cheat meal turn into a cheat day, then a cheat week, then lose everything you gained because you you gave up.

I cannot stress this enough: Diet and lifestyle change is the hardest part of any weight loss regimen. You can bust your ass in the gym and then do nothing else but be sedentary, drink a bunch or soda/alcohol and eat like shit then you’ll see minimal results.

Going back to clearly defined goals; Diet for losing weight is different than for being ripped and muscular. Know what you want so you have a path to get there.

It’s a long journey just don’t get frustrated and give up if you slip up. Keep pushing through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vladimir_Kyrilytch 05-16-2022 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 16296375)
Yes. Couple scenarios.

The first one was really good, but I didn't take it seriously enough at the time. Still though, I saw some pretty good results. Twice a week.

Second round was through a Commercial Gym. I took it much more seriously and worked out on my own as well. I saw results, but I chalk a lot of that up to my own initiative.

I'm in pretty decent shape. I eat pretty clean, run and work out religiously.

Interestingly enough, I saw the best results when the gyms were closed during the pandemic. Body weight exercises, running etc. Lots of pushups, pull-ups, dips etc. I was in the best shape of my life, and I did it on my own.

FWIW, I was 264lbs at my peak. 40inch waist, XL and XXL Shirts. Right now I am about 185, 32inch waist and wear a Medium shirt. I got as low as 169lbs, but I think I was too thin.

Trainers are great, but you can do it on your own.

You kinda sound sexy. Wanna date? Ill take you to the recent Star Wars flim and pay for your popcorn.

Shoes 05-16-2022 01:42 PM

Highly recommend a personal trainer to help get you started, a few benefits:

-Having a set training program helps immensely knowing what exercises you're going to be working on over a set # of weeks so you can track progress. I don't recommend going to the gym and making up a workout as you go. You'll be more efficient and effective with a plan.

-Setting tangible short term and long term goals orientated to your specific fitness needs. Touched on it above but make sure you are tracking your weights so you can see where you are improving. Progress photos or measurements can help too, at times it can be hard to see the progress you are making day in and day out until you look back so I think this is crucial.

-Accountability, as Lew mentioned it can be daunting trying to get into a new routine and stick with it but having a third party to keep you accountable can help.

-Being more confident completing your exercises correctly and safely. It can be a little nerve wracking at first going to the gym especially if you have little experience, but after a few sessions those nerves will fade away. Extremely important to make sure you are doing your exercises in a safe manner.

Good luck and keep us posted.

chinaski 05-16-2022 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vladimir_Kyrilytch (Post 16296382)
You kinda sound sexy. Wanna date? Ill take you to the recent Star Wars flim and pay for your popcorn.

Appreciate the offer, but if I am going to get hit on by a dude here, I'd prefer it to be Billay. He's got tenure I think.

Vladimir_Kyrilytch 05-16-2022 01:45 PM

Is lewdog a physical fitness guy? I knew there was more to lew than the common jew knew. Lou: is it possible for a guy like me to do a pull up? I have 14 pounds of dead weight that most men dont have. Its my atypically large penis. Advice?

Vladimir_Kyrilytch 05-16-2022 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 16296392)
Appreciate the offer, but if I am going to get hit on by a dude here, I'd prefer it to be Billay. He's got tenure I think.

Billay has a wait list. I signed up 7 years ago and I'm not even near the front of the line.

smithandrew051 05-16-2022 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clyde Frog (Post 16296380)
I cannot stress this enough: Diet and lifestyle change is the hardest part of any weight loss regimen. You can bust your ass in the gym and then do nothing else but be sedentary, drink a bunch or soda/alcohol and eat like shit then you’ll see minimal results.

This is very true.

My saying is “nothing in moderation”. I don’t miss the bad stuff I used to eat, as long as I don’t eat/drink it EVER. I can’t enjoy something in moderation. If I have it once, I make excuses for why I can have it again.

My diet method is I pick something new to change every 4-6 months. So far, I’ve given up all pop, most sweets, chips, fries (was harder than I imagined), breaded chicken (only grilled or baked), sugar/creamer in my coffee, and I limit my red meat. I could have never given up all of that at once without being miserable. I started with pop, then did swim thing else every 6 months. My weight was never completely out of control (maybe 10-15 pounds overweight), so I could be patient. I’m relieved that I’ve been able to stay at a great weight for myself and really active. My son deserves it.

Bearcat 05-16-2022 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupDock (Post 16296361)
I am torn on this. I think there are a lot of good trainers and a lot of bad trainers. I think the accountability is a good thing, and having someone giving you feedback is also good. Also some people have no idea how to safely use equipment, so a trainer is very helpful.

Assessing your goals is quite important.
If you are someone that really struggles with being motivated at the gym, a trainer can be very helpful to ensure you efficiently use your time.

There is no shortage of information available to lead you in your fitness goals.

I will say that many of them have no idea what the literature says in regards to exercise physiology (there is a lot of conflict in the literature though).

My wife wanted to hire a trainer to gain strength. The trainer she spoke to wanted her doing cardio for 30-40 minutes before starting her time with the trainer.
This makes absolutely no sense. You want someone who is exercise naive to waste their energy for 40 minutes prior to strength training? That’s a recipe for burnout and low energy strength training.

Yeah, torn as well.

I did a good amount of research on my own, so on one hand I'd say a personal trainer could save time, but only if they're good... I feel like there would still be things I'd go home and research if only getting one opinion on the matter.

My initial thoughts...
- Think an infinite game. Not "90 days to a better you" where you make a ton of huge changes all at once. It's one thing if you do have an immediate goal (lose 20 pounds for a specific thing), but so much of it is about balance and sustainability.

- If you're looking to gain muscle, it's all about progressive overload, and at least for a beginner, you don't need to lift 6 days/week. The general rule I've seen is anywhere from 10-20 sets per muscle per week, and much over 5 sets per muscle in one workout is excessive and probably has no more ROI. I personally did 3 days/week full body for a while with good results.

- Diet... again, sustainability. Don't deprive yourself, but look at moderation. Counting calories has always worked out far better than not for me when needing to lose a few pounds.

- Feed your good habits with things that keep you going down that path. Walked/jogged consistently for a couple months? Buy a better pair of running shoes or ear buds for jogging or a nice smart watch.
Lift for a few months? Buy some home gym stuff for new exercises or accessories for the gym.
Sure, reward yourself with a beer sometimes, just don't be too self destructive... and feeding the good habits has worked really well for me because it keeps things new and you don't want to waste the dollars invested once it becomes a habit (as opposed to spending $2k on a treadmill day one).

Think of it as how athletes get paid... performance first, set the habit, then buy that shiny thing. Motivation and results should come first, IMO.

penguinz 05-16-2022 02:03 PM

A good personal trainer is worth much more than what you will actually be paying them. A bad personal trainer can make you never want to lift again.

Make sure you go with one that has been recommended by people you trust the opinions of.

As far as your knee, It is 98% mental. Not much physical therapy needed for a meniscus repair. Just make sure your PT knows so they ease you in on the leg exercises until you get the strength back up and feel confident in it.

notorious 05-16-2022 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vladimir_Kyrilytch (Post 16296395)
Is lewdog a physical fitness guy? I knew there was more to lew than the common jew knew. Lou: is it possible for a guy like me to do a pull up? I have 14 pounds of dead weight that most men dont have. Its my atypically large penis. Advice?

Only 14 pounds?

Should have never relaxed the requirements to join Chiefsplanet. :shakeshead:

SupDock 05-16-2022 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 16296427)
Yeah, torn as well.

I did a good amount of research on my own, so on one hand I'd say a personal trainer could save time, but only if they're good... I feel like there would still be things I'd go home and research if only getting one opinion on the matter.

My initial thoughts...
- Think an infinite game. Not "90 days to a better you" where you make a ton of huge changes all at once. It's one thing if you do have an immediate goal (lose 20 pounds for a specific thing), but so much of it is about balance and sustainability.

- If you're looking to gain muscle, it's all about progressive overload, and at least for a beginner, you don't need to lift 6 days/week. The general rule I've seen is anywhere from 10-20 sets per muscle per week, and much over 5 sets per muscle in one workout is excessive and probably has no more ROI. I personally did 3 days/week full body for a while with good results.

- Diet... again, sustainability. Don't deprive yourself, but look at moderation. Counting calories has always worked out far better than not for me when needing to lose a few pounds.

- Feed your good habits with things that keep you going down that path. Walked/jogged consistently for a couple months? Buy a better pair of running shoes or ear buds for jogging or a nice smart watch.
Lift for a few months? Buy some home gym stuff for new exercises or accessories for the gym.
Sure, reward yourself with a beer sometimes, just don't be too self destructive... and feeding the good habits has worked really well for me because it keeps things new and you don't want to waste the dollars invested once it becomes a habit (as opposed to spending $2k on a treadmill day one).

This is spot on.

notorious 05-16-2022 02:07 PM

Don't have food in the house you shouldn't be eating.

My wife is horrible about bringing sweets home. FFS STOP!!!!!

We all have our moments of weakness. Make it harder to relapse on the bad stuff.

lewdog 05-16-2022 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vladimir_Kyrilytch (Post 16296395)

Are you calling me a Jew?!

loochy 05-16-2022 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 16296514)
Are you calling me a Jew?!

Don't hire a Jew personal trainer

SuperChief 05-16-2022 03:07 PM

Thanks for chiming in, folks! I really appreciate the input and advice.

My wife and I both have experience lifting weights, so the main thing we're looking for is the accountability part of the arrangement. Personally, I'm the least motivated person in terms of lifting and cardio, so I am desperately needing someone to help me get started. I'm confident that, over time, I'll be able to pick up the routines and workout plans quickly and be able to take it over for myself.

Slow and steady, though. I'm absolutely looking more into the "lifestyle" changes that some have mentioned already. I'm headed down the right path w/ nutrition (no soda, veggies w/ every meal, fairly clean eating overall), but it's the fitness part for which I need a swift kick in the arse.

ToxSocks 05-16-2022 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 16296427)

This strategy works well in my household. My wife treats "workout season" as an excellent time to splurge on all new excersice outfits and shoes etc.

Counter Point: My fitbit is such a motivational workout tool that i have a hard time going max effort w/o it on. If i can't gloat about my calorie burn and remarkably low heart rate to effort ratio, then i'm not into it.

"Look baby, i just had a 700 calorie workout and my heart is still in cruising speed...Pffff im a goddamn finely tuned machine".

SupDock 05-16-2022 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 16296536)
This strategy works well in my household. My wife treats "workout season" as an excellent time to splurge on all new excersice outfits and shoes etc.

Counter Point: My fitbit is such a motivational workout tool that i have a hard time going max effort w/o it on. If i can't gloat about my calorie burn and remarkably low heart rate to effort ratio, then i'm not into it.

"Look baby, i just had a 700 calorie workout and my heart is still in cruising speed...Pffff im a goddamn finely tuned machine".

Im the same way. When I was running in the cool weather I would be so annoyed when I forgot my watch that I almost wouldn’t work out.

T-post Tom 05-16-2022 03:18 PM

I hear Eric Berry is looking for a job. In addition to training, he’ll be happy to polish any excess football helmets you may have about.

ToxSocks 05-16-2022 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 16296524)

My wife and I both have experience lifting weights, so the main thing we're looking for is the accountability part of the arrangement. Personally, I'm the least motivated person in terms of lifting and cardio, so I am desperately needing someone to help me get started. I'm confident that, over time, I'll be able to pick up the routines and workout plans quickly and be able to take it over for myself.

Slow and steady, though. I'm absolutely looking more into the "lifestyle" changes that some have mentioned already. I'm headed down the right path w/ nutrition (no soda, veggies w/ every meal, fairly clean eating overall), but it's the fitness part for which I need a swift kick in the arse.

Sweet.

I mentioned in another thread that my wife and I (and now my son) are basically groundhogs.

We emerge from our holes to workout when spring hits, then we hibernate again in the winter. Been that way for well over a decade now, lol.

We make it a point to eliminate alcohol, chips and soda. Aside from that we eat however the **** we want. I understand that isn't the BEST thing to do, but so ****ing what.

We're staying in shape. Looking good for our age. Keeping our "beach bodies" ready to go for the next hot summer beach day.

At this point im too old and too busy to give a **** about 6 pack abs or looking perfect in my Calvin's. Eat good, live how you want. Just eliminate the pointless REAL bad shit. Booze, chips, soda.

I just feel like calorie counting and stressing over that shit simply puts too much stress on a person and sets forth some often difficult and unrealistic expectations. Im not saying it's not effective, just that i'm past the point of caring, and i can see gains and FEEL gains w/o it.

InChiefsHeaven 05-16-2022 03:40 PM

I'm gonna blow the trumpet for Orange Theory Fitness. It's a coach led class style workout, about an hour per workout. I've been doing it for 4 years. Oddly I have not lost much weight, but I have gained a tremendous (for a 51 year old guy) amount of muscle, balance and stamina and I've lost a lot of fat. I'm not a six pack abs guy, but I look good in my clothes and my arms are pretty stout.

The workouts are fun, and they also have (how many per year depends on the membership you sign up for) a BMI index scale that will let you know your fat and muscle content so you can track your progress. You work out with a heart monitor and you can see the amount of calories, your heart rate, and the amount of time your heart is at 84% or higher, which is the "orange zone". It really helps to see what your body is doing as you work out. The studio I'm at is like a family. I go on the same nights every week so I have gotten to know many of the other members, and that helps for accountability as well. They also have consultations with the coaches, and all of our coaches really know their stuff.

Diet and routine is key. You can't outwork a bad diet. That's frankly been my biggest stumbling block. BUT...I don't drink nearly as much as I used to, and my wife and I both are eating clean and cooking at home. We rarely go out to eat, and if we do, it's even more rare that it's a fast food thing.

Basically, it ain't cheap, but if you consider how many times you go in a month and divide your cost by that, it's hella cheap for a coached workout in a friendly environment that gives solid results, IF you stick with it. There's probably a studio in your area. I highly recommend at least giving them a call. I think they give you a free workout so you can see what it's all about. I used to be a planet fitness guy, but I didn't really know how to push myself. I am now able to run (Never used to do that) and I am lifting much heavier weights than I ever used to. For what it's worth, they have an annual Transformation Challenge that they do, and this year, I took 2nd place...which was bloody amazing to me.

Give it a try and good luck!

SupDock 05-16-2022 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 16296556)
Sweet.

I mentioned in another thread that my wife and I (and now my son) are basically groundhogs.

We emerge from our holes to workout when spring hits, then we hibernate again in the winter. Been that way for well over a decade now, lol.

We make it a point to eliminate alcohol, chips and soda. Aside from that we eat however the **** we want. I understand that isn't the BEST thing to do, but so ****ing what.

We're staying in shape. Looking good for our age. Keeping our "beach bodies" ready to go for the next hot summer beach day.

At this point im too old and too busy to give a **** about 6 pack abs or looking perfect in my Calvin's. Eat good, live how you want. Just eliminate the pointless REAL bad shit. Booze, chips, soda.

I just feel like calorie counting and stressing over that shit simply puts too much stress on a person and sets forth some often difficult and unrealistic expectations. Im not saying it's not effective, just that i'm past the point of caring, and i can see gains and FEEL gains w/o it.

I think it depends a lot on the person. I have spoke with a lot of people that struggle with their weight. Many of them are convinced they are in a calorie deficit and cannot lose weight because “that’s just how my body is”

Calorie counting is the only solution I see to this issue, and even with tracking most people still don’t accurately track.

ToxSocks 05-16-2022 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupDock (Post 16296580)
I think it depends a lot on the person. I have spoke with a lot of people that struggle with their weight. Many of them are convinced they are in a calorie deficit and cannot lose weight because “that’s just how my body is”

Calorie counting is the only solution I see to this issue, and even with tracking most people still don’t accurately track.

Oh for sure.

InChiefsHeaven 05-16-2022 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupDock (Post 16296580)

One thing I have learned over the last 4 years is...counting calories is not the be all end all. You have to look at what you are eating. In fact, my coaches have been having me eat MORE than I thought I should, concentrate on protein and when I lift, I lift as heavy as I can. Quality reps over quantity, and time under tension, so go slow. It ain't a race, and it's about your body, not the fitness model on YouTube. That's just me, but I really saw improvement this year. I don't even get on the scale anymore, I go by how my clothes fit.

ToxSocks 05-16-2022 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven (Post 16296595)
One thing I have learned over the last 4 years is...counting calories is not the be all end all. You have to look at what you are eating. In fact, my coaches have been having me eat MORE than I thought I should, concentrate on protein and when I lift, I lift as heavy as I can. Quality reps over quantity, and time under tension, so go slow. It ain't a race, and it's about your body, not the fitness model on YouTube. That's just me, but I really saw improvement this year. I don't even get on the scale anymore, I go by how my clothes fit.

Idk how i feel about that whole low and slow vs light and fast debate.

IMO, they're both effective strats as long as you're reaching atrophy and working out consistently.

Atrophy and consistency are what REALLY matters. Its up to you the path you wanna take to get there.

SupDock 05-16-2022 03:54 PM

Quote:

This is mostly wrong, at least if your primary goal is weight loss. I’m not saying it’s wrong for everyone, it’s just usually wrong in my experience when dealing someone who has struglgled for years with losing weight. People know what it means to eat healthy, they just can’t sustainably do it.

The only thing at you lose weight is with a calorie deficit. All the diets, all the workouts are just mechanisms to create a deficit. Someone who cannot succeed with weight loss needs to find a long term way to create deficit

When I am counseling on weight loss, sometimes I don’t even talk about macro quality. People need to focus on volume eating. They need to find low calorie high volume foods so they can feel full. To me this is a different conversation than someone who is looking for dietary changes to be more healthy.

ToxSocks 05-16-2022 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupDock (Post 16296602)
This is mostly wrong, at least if your primary goal is weight loss. I’m not saying it’s wrong for everyone, it’s just usually wrong in my experience when dealing someone who has struglgled for years with losing weight. People know what it means to eat healthy, they just can’t sustainably do it.

The only thing at you lose weight is with a calorie deficit. All the diets, all the workouts are just mechanisms to create a deficit. Someone who cannot succeed with weight loss needs to find a long term way to create deficit

When I am counseling on weight loss, sometimes I don’t even talk about macro quality. People need to focus on volume eating. They need to find low calorie high volume foods so they can feel full. To me this is a different conversation than someone who is looking for dietary changes to be more healthy.

My guess is his coach is having him eat more lean proteins etc. What may feel like more could in fact be, calorically less.

stevieray 05-16-2022 04:04 PM

My wife is my personal trainer, if you know what I mean.

Seriously though, good fortune to you and your wife.

Doing something for your health is always better than doing nothing.

Bearcat 05-16-2022 04:09 PM

Quote:

That's the beauty of progressive overload... you can only bullshit yourself for so long.

I started lighter on a lot of stuff, sometimes to get the movement down and sometimes just not knowing where I was in terms of reps. But, if I'm at 12+ reps in a set, I'm adding weight. And with each workout I'm trying to add one more rep and then level up on weight.

Outside of simply not doing the exercise correctly (such as not having a full range of motion), eventually there's no where to hide. I could do a bunch of quick or sloppy reps, but eventually I'd be at a weight where I'm just kidding myself if I'm still doing the movement correctly.

SupDock 05-16-2022 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 16296607)
My guess is his coach is having him eat more lean proteins etc. What may feel like more could in fact be, calorically less.

This is my thought too. Protein also has a big thermic effect (burn more calories to metabolize)

The problem is when someone is trying to lose weight and they are start doing protein shakes, eating nuts, eating granola.

These foods are healthy, unfortunately they don’t fill you up. It is so easy to overconsume on liquid calories and foods that are calorically dense.

SupDock 05-16-2022 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 16296630)
That's the beauty of progressive overload... you can only bullshit yourself for so long.

I started lighter on a lot of stuff, sometimes to get the movement down and sometimes just not knowing where I was in terms of reps. But, if I'm at 12+ reps in a set, I'm adding weight. And with each workout I'm trying to add one more rep and then level up on weight.

Outside of simply not doing the exercise correctly (such as not having a full range of motion), eventually there's no where to hide. I could do a bunch of quick or sloppy reps, but eventually I'd be at a weight where I'm just kidding myself if I'm still doing the movement correctly.

This is again correct. The question of 10 reps to failure or 20 reps to failure is a good one. I tend to shoot for the 10-12 rep range. I start heavy based on my previous performance, and decrease the weight with each set shooting for failure in the 10-12 rep range

I like 10-12 reps because it takes less time, and technically your rest period should be shorter too.

I also found out that I was doing a lot of ego lifting with poor form. I have gotten pretty decent biceps and have yet to max out my adjustable dumbbells. Bench press and legs have created some challenges, so I just try to do more isolation work.

ToxSocks 05-16-2022 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupDock (Post 16296641)
This is again correct. The question of 10 reps to failure or 20 reps to failure is a good one. I tend to shoot for the 10-12 rep range. I start heavy based on my previous performance, and decrease the weight with each set shooting for failure in the 10-12 rep range

I like 10-12 reps because it takes less time, and technically your rest period should be shorter too.

I like 8-10 reps. Mental thing i guess.

6 Reps always feels like too little, even if i need help getting the bar back on the rack.

I'm only a fan of 12+ reps if im doing dumbbell exercises. But if im doing Barbell i'm always aiming for that middle ground sweet spot.

SupDock 05-16-2022 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 16296648)
I like 8-10 reps. Mental thing i guess.

6 Reps always feels like too little, even if i need help getting the bar back on the rack.

I'm only a fan of 12+ reps if im doing dumbbell exercises. But if im doing Barbell i'm always aiming for that middle ground sweet spot.

That’s why I love going to failure. Because you know you worked it hard enough. Technically within 1-2 reps of failure is as good, with a little better recovery.

This is based on the current data I know of at least.

ToxSocks 05-16-2022 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupDock (Post 16296654)
That’s why I love going to failure. Because you know you worked it hard enough. Technically within 1-2 reps of failure is as good, with a little better recovery.

This is based on the current data I know of at least.

Nothing like going to failure and then realize your spotter is over there flexing in the mirror..."hey a little help here?!?!?!"

suzzer99 05-16-2022 04:27 PM

Go to the gym and watch the personal trainers first. Pick one with good energy. I see so many that are basically just phoning it in. Not giving any instruction. On their phone while the client is doing reps. Zero energy.

stevieray 05-16-2022 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupDock (Post 16296641)
I start heavy based on my previous performance, and decrease the weight with each set shooting for failure in the 10-12 rep range

Interesting.

I do the same, but increase the weight between reps.

Bearcat 05-16-2022 04:34 PM

Jeff Nippard does a lot of study-backed videos and one was around how rep ranges for size, strength, and endurance are quite a bit larger and overlapping than the generic <3 reps, 4-8, 8-12, 12+.

I try for 8-12, but concentrate on when I can up the weights... I have adjustable dumbbells that increment 5lbs, so I may only need to get to 10 reps before upping 5lbs and doing 8 reps.

Also just bought a cable rack thing that goes up by 10lbs per side, so if I'm doing two armed curls, I'm probably looking at making my way up to 12 or more reps since I'd be adding 20lbs.

Much more than 12 and I'd feel like I'm doing endurance work (the reason p90x and those don't work, along with how they just obliterate smaller muscles). I have some of that built in, like a warmup squat/overhead press or lighter weight flys, but as mention, also don't want to waste time and reps in that range for heavier lifts.

SupDock 05-16-2022 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 16296659)
Interesting.

I do the same, but increase the weight between reps.

I go down so I can keep my reps in the 10-12 range. Otherwise my last set would only be a couple reps. You want “time under tension” which is why the number of reps matter. If you go to failure, you will generally struggle to hit the same reps with the same weight on the next set. That is why I drop the weight.

There is definitely more than one way to have success though. I am not really trying to hit a personal record.

A fascinating transition for me, was when I was getting closer to my goal weight, I had to increase my calories to keep up my performance while exercising. I had never had that experience. It was weird transitioning to needing to eat more.

Bearcat 05-16-2022 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupDock (Post 16296667)
I go down so I can keep my reps in the 10-12 range. Otherwise my last set would only be a couple reps. You want “time under tension” which is why the number of reps matter. If you go to failure, you will generally struggle to hit the same reps with the same weight on the next set. That is why I drop the weight.

There is definitely more than one way to have success though. I am not really trying to hit a personal record.

I'm playing with that some now, because I recently moved on from a more beginner full body routine to targeting muscle groups.... and I know the whole "to failure" is a debate and some think a couple less than failure is fine.

I don't tend to go to complete failure, but then it makes me wonder when I'm not needing to lighten up the weight towards the end (not that I don't feel like I've had a good workout, but still have some in the tank).

Then again... one more rep, a little more weight... forever.

ToxSocks 05-16-2022 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 16296686)
I'm playing with that some now, because I recently moved on from a more beginner full body routine to targeting muscle groups.... and I know the whole "to failure" is a debate and some think a couple less than failure is fine.

I don't tend to go to complete failure, but then it makes me wonder when I'm not needing to lighten up the weight towards the end (not that I don't feel like I've had a good workout, but still have some in the tank).

Then again... one more rep, a little more weight... forever.

Well, if it's Bench Press we're talking about, there's no going to failure w/o a spotter. So in a lot of instances going to failure isn't even an option therefore a rep or two short of failure is the best you're going to do.

And i sure AF ain't going to failure with any rep that involves weights being lifted over my head. So things like Dumbbell shoulder presses will always be a few reps short of failure.

Bicep curls, chair dips etc are all "failure-fair-game".

Bearcat 05-16-2022 04:51 PM

Quote:

A fascinating transition for me, was when I was getting closer to my goal weight, I had to increase my calories to keep up my performance while exercising. I had never had that experience. It was weird transitioning to needing to eat more.

Interesting.... that's basically the reason I don't count calories now. Until I plateau for a while, I'm sure I could eat more and not gain any gut, but as long as the workouts are improving, I'm not all that worried about it.

And it's good motivation to lift, being able to eat more. :D

InChiefsHeaven 05-16-2022 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupDock (Post 16296602)

That is a good point. When I started, I was really wanting to lose weight. But as I went along, I realized that muscle burns fat, and in my case, I was doing Orange Theory 4 times a week. The older I get, the longer recovery time I find I need. Now, I'm at 3 times a week, but it DOES mean I have to watch my intake. I guess what I meant was, some calories are better than others. I used to use Fitness Pal, which wanted me to consume like 1800 calories a day, which was very difficult. My coach wanted me to concentrate on protein,and bump up to about 2300 to 2500 a day. I settled on 2300, and that seemed to do the trick for me.

Like I said, I really haven't lost a ton of weight, but I'm definitely more fit than I was. In fact, in many ways I'm in better shape now than I was 20 years ago, except for the recovery and joint shit and back pain that seems to come with 51 years on the planet. Right now I'm about 205. Started at 215. So, occasionally I'd dip below 200 but for the most part, I seem to be a 205 pound guy. At 5'10", most people are surprised I weigh over 200, so that's proof enough for me. I'm not trying to be a fitness model, I just want to be in shape and healthy. OT has definitely helped me get there. But, ya gotta stick with it.

At the end of the day, you have to do what's right for you. The trainers at OT work with people individually, cuz one size definitely does not fit all.

Discuss Thrower 05-16-2022 05:00 PM

Couldn't commit to a personal trainer due to cost, which sucked because I believed their coaching of proper technique was unlike anything I've ever experienced.

SupDock 05-16-2022 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven (Post 16296703)
That is a good point. When I started, I was really wanting to lose weight. But as I went along, I realized that muscle burns fat, and in my case, I was doing Orange Theory 4 times a week. The older I get, the longer recovery time I find I need. Now, I'm at 3 times a week, but it DOES mean I have to watch my intake. I guess what I meant was, some calories are better than others. I used to use Fitness Pal, which wanted me to consume like 1800 calories a day, which was very difficult. My coach wanted me to concentrate on protein,and bump up to about 2300 to 2500 a day. I settled on 2300, and that seemed to do the trick for me.

Like I said, I really haven't lost a ton of weight, but I'm definitely more fit than I was. In fact, in many ways I'm in better shape now than I was 20 years ago, except for the recovery and joint shit and back pain that seems to come with 51 years on the planet. Right now I'm about 205. Started at 215. So, occasionally I'd dip below 200 but for the most part, I seem to be a 205 pound guy. At 5'10", most people are surprised I weigh over 200, so that's proof enough for me. I'm not trying to be a fitness model, I just want to be in shape and healthy. OT has definitely helped me get there. But, ya gotta stick with it.

At the end of the day, you have to do what's right for you. The trainers at OT work with people individually, cuz one size definitely does not fit all.

That’s exactly right. And I am generally speaking about people who aren’t workout and aren’t interested in gaining strength. For someone who is exercising, creating a calorie surplus with adequate protein, there is some evidence they can recomp their body by losing fat and gaining muscle simultaneously

Bearcat 05-16-2022 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 16296692)
Well, if it's Bench Press we're talking about, there's no going to failure w/o a spotter. So in a lot of instances going to failure isn't even an option therefore a rep or two short of failure is the best you're going to do.

And i sure AF ain't going to failure with any rep that involves weights being lifted over my head. So things like Dumbbell shoulder presses will always be a few reps short of failure.

Bicep curls, chair dips etc are all "failure-fair-game".

I didn't have a lot in terms of free weights, but can do most anything with the cable/rack setup. I can bench from it, which gives full range of motion. It's not like a Smith machine, so you still have to stabilize the weight, and I probably can't kill myself if I do go to failure.

The physics of it probably isn't exactly the same... the weight isn't 1:1 (it's fairly close though) and you don't have that initial stabilizing and moving the weight forward, but it's pretty damn close.

It's nice for things like shoulder press and triceps extensions, too.

I still mix in dumbbell press and behind the head dumbbell extensions and such... I have found those help even more with stabilizing weight and of course have more range for the former without a bar across your chest.

Rain Man 05-16-2022 06:16 PM

It's 20 percent cheaper to hire a personal esteem trainer to make you feel good about being overweight and out of shape.

Titty Meat 05-16-2022 06:26 PM

Just find a site that that sends tren

SupDock 05-16-2022 06:36 PM

There is a pretty good app called “Strong” that lets you create custom workouts, track sets and reps.

It is what I use to try and make sure I’m working out harder than last time.

It is free to use if you only utilize 3 custom routines. I like it.

stevieray 05-16-2022 06:45 PM

Quote:

Ya, that was the trippy part. You lose weight first then add muscle, and most of your gains are in the first two years. I was drinking protein shakes and losing weight(fat)

It's been a good system for me. On that third set when I can start going past 10-12 reps is when I jump everything up ten pounds, and that third set becomes a bitch all over again.

That said, I'm gonna try your method. It's always good to switch up your routine from time to time.

Eureka 05-16-2022 07:02 PM

Look at a personal trainer as a tutor in college or like taking a college course. You will get to keep the knowledge you learn and it's personalized to yourself. There are tricks and tips you are going to learn in those 5-10 sessions.

"Super Chief you have bad form when you do this particular exercise. Try angling the weight like this"

It's stuff like that which will help you succeed in the gym. Seems like getting a personal trainer to work with you both together would be better as you can work and grow as a team on your new adventure.

Eating healthy will go a long way in making you feel better in the gym. Good luck and have fun.

Holladay 05-16-2022 07:03 PM

Unless you want to be cut like models, just do the basics. Bike/row/treadmill 20 min, basic weights (curls, squats, bench x 3 sets...I use a machine for the squat/bench due to no spotter) daily. It takes 30 min. Watch what you eat (no snacking). I do this at the gym at 4:30 every day. When I get home and other things get in the way, I know at least I got in a decent workout, thus is a "good day". If I can, later in the evening, do a 20-30 min bike in front of the TV.

Try and set goals. Mine was to burn 10 cal/min rowing through the 20 min period. It took me 3 months. Next up, bench 225 for 5 reps (granted on a machine). It will take me another 3 months.

Start slow, easy and light weight and build from there. I try and do basic light stretching before bed.

It is not fun but I am trying to make it a habit. It does take discipline. It is good that you and your wife are willing to try and put in the time. You can play off each other and encourage. You expect her and she expects you. Hold each other accountable.

In the end, it is all between your ears...mind game. A trainer might help encourage and help with issues. But the basics are the basics.

My go to when I don't feel like going to the gym...a strong cup of coffee 30 min prior. Prolly not recommended, but works for me.

Pop Quiz: what is the heaviest weight in the gym?

Megatron96 05-16-2022 07:06 PM

You might want to look into Orangetheory if there's one close enough to you. It's something like $180/month, which breaks down to just $15/session if you go just three times a week.

I was a member for 4 years, before a rash of injuries (unrelated to working out) forced me to cancel my membership last year. I'll probably reup later this year if my health remains stable until then. But without question those 4 years marked the healthiest I've been since college when I stopped playing soccer. I lost a ton of weight, returned to about 85% of my 20-something strength, and regained a lot of real-world stamina and strength.

Basically, it's a scheduled workout combining both cardio and strength training with a group of other clients and one or two qualified trainer/instructors. Each workout is different, so it's hard to get bored (in 4 years I never repeated a workout and most of the time I was going at least 4 times/week). They professionally design the workouts, so no more guessing what you should next or even how or what to train from one day to the next.

Also there's a nice social aspect as well as a bit of competitiveness if that's your thing.

For example, i was going to the 7am class a lot at first right after work and ended up having several friendly competitions with another client. It started out with who would lose more weight in thirty days, then who would have a better heart rate average, who could hold a plank longer, row farther in 10 minutes, and so on. Loser would buy the other a smoothie or something next door. I'm competitive, so this worked out very well for me.

As for results, well I lost 27 lbs. in the first 40 days. I ran a sub-7 minute mile 2 months after my first day for the first time in over a decade. I cut over 100 seconds from my first mile run from that first week.

Even if you don't stick with it forever, OT an teach you a lot about how to design workouts that are extremely efficient, proper forms, appropriate expectations and the like. It seems kind of pricey on the surface, but you get a lot of value for your money, imo.

P.S. another issue people don't think about is how well you get along with your trainer. The nice thing about OT is that each class time is usually the same trainer. So Monday at 8am is pretty much always going to be steve or Tracy or whoever. 9am will be someone else usually. So you have a great opportunity in the first month or so to figure out which trainers you like; who gets you/motivates you best. All just by clicking on whatever class you want on the schedule, as all classes online let you know who's teaching every class. Each OT employs several (up to a dozen?) trainers, so you probably will find a couple that work best for you and your wfe.

SupDock 05-16-2022 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holladay (Post 16296860)
Unless you want to be cut like models, just do the basics. Bike/row/treadmill 20 min, basic weights (curls, squats, bench x 3 sets...I use a machine for the squat/bench due to no spotter) daily. It takes 30 min. Watch what you eat (no snacking). I do this at the gym at 4:30 every day. When I get home and other things get in the way, I know at least I got in a decent workout, thus is a "good day". If I can, later in the evening, do a 20-30 min bike in front of the TV.

Try and set goals. Mine was to burn 10 cal/min rowing through the 20 min period. It took me 3 months. Next up, bench 225 for 5 reps (granted on a machine). It will take me another 3 months.

Start slow, easy and light weight and build from there. I try and do basic light stretching before bed.

It is not fun but I am trying to make it a habit. It does take discipline. It is good that you and your wife are willing to try and put in the time. You can play off each other and encourage. You expect her and she expects you. Hold each other accountable.

In the end, it is all between your ears...mind game. A trainer might help encourage and help with issues. But the basics are the basics.

My go to when I don't feel like going to the gym...a strong cup of coffee 30 min prior. Prolly not recommended, but works for me.

Pop Quiz: what is the heaviest weight in the gym?

Coffee is a great idea. Most preworkouts have caffeine. I have started using preworkouts and notice a difference in my energy and output.

You mention doing basic workout daily? Meaning you squat, bench, etc every day?

Holladay 05-16-2022 07:14 PM

I try and keep the work outs as efficient as possible. Thus for the aerobic side my fall back is rowing (when I can't swim). Very much all body with the exception of pecs and biceps (I do rowing sets curling instead of the normal pull). You can do all sorts of exercises: lat pull downs, tricep extensions, dips, shoulder shrugs etc. A good row does pretty much all of them with the least amount of time and low impact on the joints.

Stewie 05-16-2022 07:16 PM

I joined Dale's gym (now Will Shield's place) in 1986. Spent a few sessions with a trainer and nutritionist. Worked out for about a year.

Learned all I needed to know in a short time and still follow those guidelines.

Holladay 05-16-2022 07:19 PM

yea, not so much squats, but yes bench. Again, it is a nice machine, not free. I don't over do it either. I do 10/8/6 at a weight, curl 10/8/6 at what ever weight, row 20 min, go back to the bench and do another 10/8/6 at incline or flat what ever I didn't do the first time and at a lower weight.

Holladay 05-16-2022 07:26 PM

What is a preworkout?

I live out in the sticks, thus no trainer available and I only see one person, if that, at the gym at a time.

I subscribe to the KISS principle...Keep It Simple Stupid. I feel in those 30 mins, I work every muscle group to a fair degree. That is all I want. I also keep moving. I pace when I am on the phone etc. I try and get at least 10k steps in a day. I did 20k a few times and they say that is like walking 9.4 miles:) I was a little sore the next day.

I figure what I am doing is not for everyone, but it sure can't hurt. I might be a bit boring, but I am not there to be entertained. My goal is to lose weight, increase energy and get toned. Nothing huge. Make it a life style habit.

I sure dick around the "Planet" more then 30 min a day:)

Holladay 05-16-2022 07:27 PM

Quote:

Spent a few sessions with a trainer and nutritionist. Worked out for about a year.

Learned all I needed to know in a short time and still follow those guidelines.
Good idea!

SupDock 05-16-2022 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holladay (Post 16296894)
What is a preworkout?

I live out in the sticks, thus no trainer available and I only see one person, if that, at the gym at a time.

I subscribe to the KISS principle...Keep It Simple Stupid. I feel in those 30 mins, I work every muscle group to a fair degree. That is all I want. I also keep moving. I pace when I am on the phone etc. I try and get at least 10k steps in a day. I did 20k a few times and they say that is like walking 9.4 miles:) I was a little sore the next day.

I figure what I am doing is for everyone, but it sure can't hurt. My goal is to lose weight, increase energy and get toned. Nothing huge. Make it a life style habit.

I sure dick around the "Planet" more then 30 min a day:)

Pre-workout is basically a powder That you add to water before working out. Generally has a stimulant, and a “pump” ingredient. Often has creatine. Supposedly helps your workout.

Pre Workout Powder; Kaged Muscle Pre-Kaged Sport Pre Workout for Men and Women, Increase Energy, Focus, Hydration, and Endurance, Organic Caffeine, Plant Based Citrulline, Fruit Punch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099LMHRN3...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Decent example.

SupDock 05-16-2022 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holladay (Post 16296872)
I try and keep the work outs as efficient as possible. Thus for the aerobic side my fall back is rowing (when I can't swim). Very much all body with the exception of pecs and biceps (I do rowing sets curling instead of the normal pull). You can do all sorts of exercises: lat pull downs, tricep extensions, dips, shoulder shrugs etc. A good row does pretty much all of them with the least amount of time and low impact on the joints.

You almost have me convinced. I have been eyeballing the Concept 2 for a while.

I wish I had regular access to a lap lane.

mr. tegu 05-16-2022 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 16296524)

Do you track your weights and progress? Helps to have every single exercise laid out with reps and weight you do so you can see progress but also prevent yourself from getting comfortable.