ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Falcons taking calls on Julio Jones (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=338036)

Dante84 04-26-2021 05:37 AM

Falcons taking calls on Julio Jones

Quote:

A hamstring injury limited Jones to just nine games last season, though he still put up strong numbers when he was on the field. He caught 51 passes for 771 yards and three scores as the Falcons finished the year 4-12. From 2014-19, Jones missed only four games and averaged 104 catches and 1,564 yards per season. SI Link.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Falcons?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Falcons</a> have received calls from teams inquiring about possible trades for All-Pro WR Julio Jones, sources say. A trade could not happen for cap reasons before June 1, but teams know Atlanta’s brutal cap situation and are calling. A deal won’t happen now, but later? Maybe.</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1386643899859578881?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 26, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">From NFL Now: The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Falcons?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Falcons</a> have been receiving calls on All-Pro WR Julio Jones, and while it&#39;s somewhat unlikely they get the value they would want, it&#39;s not impossible. A look at how it would work... <a href="https://t.co/kZArO6t578">pic.twitter.com/kZArO6t578</a></p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1386740597604724742?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 26, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Falcons?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Falcons</a> have been listening to trade offers for star WR Julio Jones, per <a href="https://twitter.com/peter_king?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@peter_king</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@AlbertBreer</a>. Atlanta has one of the worst cap situations in the league and trading Julio effective after June 1st would create $15M in cap space and save the big dead cap hit for 2022.</p>&mdash; NFL Update (@MySportsUpdate) <a href="https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1386642052549644288?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 26, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

From Peter King:
Quote:

Surprises? Keep an eye on Atlanta. I can’t predict any bombshells. But a few things would not surprise me. Most notably, the Falcons putting the framework of a trade together for star wideout Julio Jones, and making the trade effective June 2. That way, Atlanta could split Jones’ cap charge between 2021 and 2022 instead of getting bashed with it all this year. So if such a trade happens, I expect it could involve a future pick or picks, nothing this year. (A future second-round pick as compensation seems fair to me.) Because such a trade wouldn’t be official till June, no picks in this draft could be involved. As for the interested team or teams, I would guess Las Vegas; Jon Gruden couldn’t resist Antonio Brown, and I doubt he could resist Julio Jones. New England too, and a couple of teams with clear receiver needs—Tennessee and Baltimore.

Now, the Falcons don’t really want to trade Julio Jones. He’s a franchise legend. But he’s 32, entering his 11th season, coming off a banged-up year with seven games missed due to injury, and the Falcons are in cap jail. If they could off-load his money and cushion it by splitting it between this year ($7.75 million) and next ($15.5 million), Atlanta’s cap charge on Jones this year goes down by a tad more than $15 million.

One final note here, to be very clear: I am not reporting the Falcons will trade Jones, or will probably trade Jones. I am saying it would not surprise me if it happened.

Dante84 04-26-2021 05:42 AM

Maybe a reverse Tony G trade?

I’d imagine they would prefer to send him to the AFC. I wonder what compensation would look like for him.

YayMike 04-26-2021 05:52 AM

Offer one of our seconds? My goodness. Imagine if we added 2 all pros with our first two picks....geeeeezzzzzz

RealSNR 04-26-2021 05:55 AM

Broke dick.

Beef Supreme 04-26-2021 05:58 AM

At some point we have to worry about the cap. I realize Brat Wurst is a wizard and all that, but there has to be a limit to his powers.

rabblerouser 04-26-2021 06:18 AM

We do have 2nds...but would he restructure to be here?

TribalElder 04-26-2021 06:20 AM

Julio Jones's entire career has been wasted by Atlanta

lcarus 04-26-2021 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme (Post 15644948)
At some point we have to worry about the cap. I realize Brat Wurst is a wizard and all that, but there has to be a limit to his powers.

As a 1 or maybe 2 year rental though....we'd be tough to beat.

Dunerdr 04-26-2021 06:40 AM

This post pulled his ****ing hamstring.

smithandrew051 04-26-2021 06:41 AM

Hard to say what the compensation would be on this one.

He’s 32 and missed time last year due to injury. Prior to that though, he only missed 4 games over the previous 6 seasons.

Obviously, he’s one of the best ever. He’s a freak athlete, so as he declines with age he’ll still be very athletic.

I think Veach should make an offer for whatever he thinks Julio is worth at this age, and see what happens. I wouldn’t break the bank for him though. Julio is a luxury, but we’ll be fine with a WR in the draft since we have Kelce and Hill.

Dante84 04-26-2021 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 15644967)
Hard to say what the compensation would be on this one.

He’s 32 and missed time last year due to injury. Prior to that though, he only missed 4 games over the previous 6 seasons.

Obviously, he’s one of the best ever. He’s a freak athlete, so as he declines with age he’ll still be very athletic.

I think Veach should make an offer for whatever he thinks Julio is worth at this age, and see what happens. I wouldn’t break the bank for him though. Julio is a luxury, but we’ll be fine with a WR in the draft since we have Kelce and Hill.

That’s where I’m at. I trust Veach regardless.

If we do it, I’d be fine with giving up either 58 or 63 this year and keeping our picks for next year.

Coochie liquor 04-26-2021 06:46 AM

If he could stay healthy we’d be deadly.

tredadda 04-26-2021 06:56 AM

While I wouldn't be against it, I would only do it if we don't give up too much and Jones is willing to play for less. He's not the same player he was when he was 27 nor should we pay him like he is.

UChieffyBugger 04-26-2021 07:08 AM

Jones, Reek and Travis would have a case of being the best pass catching trio EVER to play together in this league surely??? Would be totally unfair :D . Next year there's a chance we could get an extra 3rd if EB finally gets hired so giving up a second or third could be easy for Veach tbh.

Sassy Squatch 04-26-2021 07:08 AM

Wouldn't involve any picks this year since the Falcons can't actually trade him until after June 1st.

tyecopeland 04-26-2021 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 15644981)
Wouldn't involve any picks this year since the Falcons can't actually trade him until after June 1st.

Wonder if teams could pull off an nba style trade where they draft a player the other team wants and then make the trade after.

Couch-Potato 04-26-2021 07:46 AM

Bring him 2 kc!!!

Honestly, I'd be willing 2 pay quite a bit.

2nd + Hardman for sure, what else?

Orlando Brown + Julio Jones is the best potential offseason I can imagine lol

Hoover 04-26-2021 07:52 AM

Wait until they cut him.

Then if you want to bring him in do it.

I'm sure as hell not trading them Hardman. I know he has not lived up to the CP expectations, but I'm not ready to give up on the kid, and he has two more years on that rookie contract.

Couch-Potato 04-26-2021 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 15645019)
Wait until they cut him.

I'm sure as hell not trading them Hardman. I know he has not lived up to the CP expectations, but I'm not ready to give up on the kid, and he has two more years on that rookie contract.

Hardman vs Jones, Jordan vs Lebron, Ali vs Frazier, debates that will live on for the ages.

wazu 04-26-2021 08:14 AM

Quote:

Wait until they cut him.

Hardman?! Oh hell they can have Hardman! I'd much rather that than a second round pick. (Would be okay with either, though.)

O.city 04-26-2021 08:16 AM

He's 32 and is always injured.

We just got rid of a WR just like that. No thanks.

ThaVirus 04-26-2021 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 15644959)
Julio Jones's entire career has been wasted by Atlanta

Eh, he went to the Super Bowl. There have been better WRs who haven't gotten that far.

Actually, he made one of the best catches I've ever seen in that SB, too. Shame it didn't end up mattering in the end.

smithandrew051 04-26-2021 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couch-Potato (Post 15645033)
Hardman vs Jones, Jordan vs Lebron, Ali vs Frazier, debates that will live on for the ages.

For clarification, he means:

Mecole Hardman vs Julio Jones

Michael B Jordan vs LeBron James

Tatyana Ali vs Joe Frazier

smithandrew051 04-26-2021 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 15645040)
Eh, he went to the Super Bowl. There have been better WRs who haven't gotten that far.

Actually, he made one of the best catches I've ever seen in that SB, too. Shame it didn't end up mattering in the end.

The extension and toe tap on that catch was a thing of beauty. Only a handful of players in league history make that play.

Chiefspants 04-26-2021 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 15645040)

That catch should have been the end of it.

So happy Shanny Jr. learned absolutely nothing from that game.

TLO 04-26-2021 08:52 AM

Kick the tires.

TomBarndtsTwin 04-26-2021 08:57 AM

You know, the Chiefs are looking for a bigger #2 receiver . . . . . . . .

TomBarndtsTwin 04-26-2021 08:58 AM

Obviously, this probably isn't happening . . . . . . . but for shits and giggles, could you imagine the amount of people that would completely lose their shit if the Chiefs actually managed to trade for Julio??

It would be a mind**** and glorious to watch the fallout from. LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO

htismaqe 04-26-2021 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 15645036)
Hardman?! Oh hell they can have Hardman! I'd much rather that than a second round pick. (Would be okay with either, though.)

I actually agree with him.

I'd rather have a guy that can suit up than one that can't, regardless of talent level.

ToxSocks 04-26-2021 09:01 AM

Quote:

Hell no i wouldn't trade them Hardman either.

And why in the world would anyone give up on him? What is there to even give up on? A good player that's lightning fast, an absolute weapon as your 4th-5th option?

Hardman can be aloof at times and hasn't quite gotten the chemistry with Pat down yet, but the skills are all there.

-King- 04-26-2021 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15645037)
He's 32 and is always injured.

We just got rid of a WR just like that. No thanks.

Tbf before last year he played 15, 16, 14, 16, 16, 15 games in the 6 years before that.

Dante84 04-26-2021 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15645082)

I'd rather have a guy that can suit up than one that can't, regardless of talent level.

While it's worth noting that he was out a significant time last season, I don't know that holds true historically:
Quote:

A hamstring injury limited Jones to just nine games last season, though he still put up strong numbers when he was on the field. He caught 51 passes for 771 yards and three scores as the Falcons finished the year 4-12. From 2014-19, Jones missed only four games and averaged 104 catches and 1,564 yards per season. SI Link.
Definitely need to rely on Rick and his team of doctors to determine if the juice is worth the squeeze here.

-King- 04-26-2021 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15645084)
Hell no i wouldn't trade them Hardman either.

And why in the world would anyone give up on him? What is there to even give up on? A good player that's lightning fast, an absolute weapon as your 4th-5th option?

Hardman can be aloof at times and hasn't quite gotten the chemistry with Pat down yet, but the skills are all there.

If all you consider as skills is speed. Then yeah. But as of now, he's a good gadget player, poor receiver. Hence us looking for a #2 WR right now.

O.city 04-26-2021 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 15645086)
Tbf before last year he played 15, 16, 14, 16, 16, 15 games in the 6 years before that.

Yes, and clearly, guys get more healthy as they get older.

-King- 04-26-2021 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15645096)
Yes, and clearly, guys get more healthy as they get older.

Never said that. But as of now, last year seems like the outlier

wazu 04-26-2021 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15645082)

Julio Jones had more yards than Hardman last year even though he only played in 9 games. Before that he had 1400 or more yards for like 6 straight years. (Something Hardman will never do, even if they expand to 20 game seasons and he never gets hurt.)

ToxSocks 04-26-2021 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 15645091)
If all you consider as skills is speed. Then yeah. But as of now, he's a good gadget player, poor receiver. Hence us looking for a #2 WR right now.

He's shown to have some of the most reliable hands on the team and has had made big plays in big situations.

He's a slight framed slot receiver. They want a bigger, stouter WR on the outside. What they want on the outside has nothing to do with Hardman. They've ALWAYS had a "type" that they want on the outside and Hardman doesn't fit that description.

I don't know where you're getting this poor receiver shit from.

And don't bother with this "he's a poor route runner" bullshit because that's a made up argument if i ever heard one.

No one on this forum is watching all-22 film of all of Hardman's routes, and even if they did, i'd still question if they knew what they were even looking at.

New World Order 04-26-2021 09:20 AM

Julio is still elite. Yes please.

Rainbarrel 04-26-2021 09:21 AM

Rather grow/pay my own drama.

In58men 04-26-2021 09:21 AM

Did we trade for this piece of shit yet?!?!?

Get it done Bert Verch!!

-King- 04-26-2021 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15645104)
He's shown to have some of the most reliable hands on the team and has had made big plays in big situations.

He's a slight framed slot receiver. They want a bigger, stouter WR on the outside. What they want on the outside has nothing to do with Hardman. They've ALWAYS had a "type" that they want on the outside and Hardman doesn't fit that description.

I don't know where you're getting this poor receiver shit from.

And don't bother with this "he's a poor route runner" bullshit because that's a made up argument if i ever heard one.

No one on this forum is watching all-22 film of all of Hardman's routes, and even if they did, i'd still question if they knew what they were even looking at.

Most reliable hands? Wut?

If he was a good WR, Reid would find a way to make him work and get him on the field. Instead if we get a #2 WR that can play 16 games, Hardmans touches will come few and dad between. He'll be even more of a end around/jet sweep guy than he was last year.

ToxSocks 04-26-2021 09:22 AM

What we can ACTUALLY see from Hardman based on his 2 seasons. Not made up shit like, "oh i think he's a poor route runner".

Hardman:

Pros:

Blazing fast (stretches the defense, forces them to play honest)
Good/great hands
Home-run hitter after the catch
Plays big in big moments
Versatile slot player who's an asset in WR screens (which the Chiefs rarely run), end-rounds etc.
He can be used as a gadget player, but is not limited to being one.

Cons:
Seems to have trouble knowing where to be in a zone
Doesn't have the best chemistry with Pat
His size may be a factor in his ability to get off the press, thus limiting his role on the outside.

ToxSocks 04-26-2021 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 15645115)
Most reliable hands? Wut?

If he was a good WR, Reid would find a way to make him work and get him on the field. Instead if we get a #2 WR that can play 16 games, Hardmans touches will come few and dad between. He'll be even more of a end around/jet sweep guy than he was last year.

Yes. Some of the most reliable hands.

Obviously not on par with Kelce. Tyreek has his share of missed opportunities but will give him the nod based on sheer volume.

But are you going to try to argue that Pringle and Robinson have better hands? LMAO

And Reid DOES find a way to make him work and get him on the field.

Hardman fills a specific role on this team. And he's damn good at it. Getting a Julio Jones etc won't change anything about his role or production.

The Franchise 04-26-2021 09:26 AM

Where are fitting his $15 million dollar cap hit?

Chris Meck 04-26-2021 09:28 AM

Julio is a great WR on the back end of his career.

I'd rather not give away draft capital to get him. If he was a FA I'd be interested.

We really should be trying to get younger and more talented at WR, so that those guys are ready to shoulder the load as Hill and Kelce inevitably decline in the future.

Although I expect Hill to be productive well into his mid-thirties, he will likely slow down some.

Kelce probably has 3 more seasons at peak performance before he slows down.

Jones would help in 2022, but I'd like to solve the positional issue for the next few years rather than just for now.

New World Order 04-26-2021 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 15645125)
Where are fitting his $15 million dollar cap hit?

Restructure to 2022?

big nasty kcnut 04-26-2021 09:28 AM

I don't want bork laser to take this deal rather have larry Fitzgerald

-King- 04-26-2021 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15645122)

Obviously not on par with Kelce. Tyreek has his share of missed opportunities but will give him the nod based on sheer volume.

But are you going to try to argue that Pringle and Robinson have better hands? LMAO

Hardman fills a specific role on this team. And he's damn good at it. Getting a Julio Jones etc won't change anything about his role or production.

So if we have a WR2 that plays 16 games, and CEH gets more involved in the passing game, how exactly do you think Hardman won't see his touches reduced?

And Hardman led the team in drops. Idk why you think he has good hands. https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/lead...e=NFL&rank=232

Dunerdr 04-26-2021 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 15645086)

He suited up for a lot but was banged up more than that indicates.

Chris Meck 04-26-2021 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15645122)

I think the covid year really hurt Hardman's development. This is a really complicated offense, and his mental processing isn't always there yet, as we've seen. But I'm not nearly as down on him as some people are.

I agree with your assessment.

-King- 04-26-2021 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 15645134)
He suited up for a lot but was banged up more than that indicates.

Yeah I agree. He's always nicked up but he played and still dominated unlike Sammy who flat out couldn't play.

stumppy 04-26-2021 09:35 AM

Didn't we just get rid of a broke dick #2 wr?! For the last couple years hasn't he been one of those players who can't practice all week? Has to wait til game day until he knows if he'll play that week?

wazu 04-26-2021 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 15645144)
Didn't we just get rid of a broke dick #2 wr?! For the last couple years hasn't he been one of those players who can't practice all week? Has to wait til game day until he knows if he'll play that week?

He had 1400 yards in 2019. What a brokedick.

wazu 04-26-2021 09:38 AM

Prediction: No matter where Julio plays this year, he will end up with more than double the yards of Mecole Hardman.

ToxSocks 04-26-2021 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 15645132)
So if we have a WR2 that plays 16 games, and CEH gets more involved in the passing game, how exactly do you think Hardman won't see his touches reduced?

And Hardman led the team in drops. Idk why you think he has good hands. https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/lead...e=NFL&rank=232

Because of the role he plays. Has his production changed at all the last two seasons? Maybe you should ask yourself why it hasn't, no matter who's lined up outside.

ChiefBlueCFC 04-26-2021 09:41 AM

pls do it brat verch

-King- 04-26-2021 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15645153)
Because of the role he plays. Has his production changed at all the last two seasons? Maybe you should ask yourself why it hasn't, no matter who's lined up outside.

Yeah because we have a WR2 that missed half of the games. Of course a WR3/4s production will be higher those years. What do you think to a happens to a WR3/4s production when the WR2 doesn't miss half the games?

ToxSocks 04-26-2021 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 15645136)
I think the covid year really hurt Hardman's development. This is a really complicated offense, and his mental processing isn't always there yet, as we've seen. But I'm not nearly as down on him as some people are.

I agree with your assessment.

I think Hardman's biggest obstacle is the mental part of the game. That's what shows up on the televised recordings of the games. He yings when Patrick expects him to yang, or he pulls up when Patrick expects him to keep going.

He was raw when we draft him and everyone knew that. Then all of a sudden people seemed to have forgotten that.

He could probably stand to add 10lbs like Tyreek did so he could hold up against press coverage on the outside as well.

stumppy 04-26-2021 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 15645146)
He had 1400 yards in 2019. What a brokedick.

Thus the question marks. You'd notice them if you paid attention.

ToxSocks 04-26-2021 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 15645162)
Yeah because we have a WR2 that missed half of the games. Of course a WR3/4s production will be higher those years. What do you think to a happens to a WR3/4s production when a WR2 doesn't miss half the games?

Production doesn't work like that.

How many targets was Watkins getting when he was healthy and playing, vs Robinson/Pringle when they took over on the outside?

I'd be surprised if there's a deviation greater than +/- 1 or 2 targets.

You're acting like healthy Sammy Watkins was gobbling up targets when quite frankly he had stretches where they never threw his direction.

wazu 04-26-2021 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 15645165)
Thus the question marks. You'd notice them if you paid attention.

Fair enough. I've just seen a lot of comments in this thread from people who have this perception that Julio Jones can't stay healthy. He puts up monster numbers almost every year. And he does that while having a "questionable" designation. This causes stress for fantasy owners but it doesn't seem to matter on gameday. Last year was his standout "injury" problem year where he only played in 9 games. (But still out produced Hardman by like 200 yards.)

TomBarndtsTwin 04-26-2021 09:46 AM

Since there seems to be a lot of comparing Jones to Watkins going on in this thread, just posting for reference:

https://www.nfl.com/players/sammy-watkins/stats/career

https://www.nfl.com/players/julio-jones/stats/career

One of these things is not like the other . . . . . . .

Rainbarrel 04-26-2021 09:51 AM

Throwing two balls at the same time will not get you on the refs good side.

ToxSocks 04-26-2021 09:51 AM

Jones gets the stereotype of being often injured because he is often injured.

It just doesn't always cost him games so it doesn't show on the stats sheet. But he's seemingly always dealing with nagging soft-tissue injuries that he plays through.

With that said....many nagging soft tissue injuries or not....the dude still plays and still produces. At least until he doesn't...which could happen at anytime. It's certainly a calculated risk.

pugsnotdrugs19 04-26-2021 10:11 AM

I’d do it for sure but at a certain compensation cost that probably is lower than he may go for.

Chris Meck 04-26-2021 10:16 AM

I'm not sure it's a good idea money-wise.

I'm also not sure that Jones would want to come here and be the #3 option, which is what he would be. It's also not a great offense to walk into if you're planning on upping your value in a year. It's complicated, and you're not going to put up big numbers right away.

Unless he wants to come and get a ring and just contribute, I doubt it.

IowaHawkeyeChief 04-26-2021 10:17 AM

hard pass unless they actually cut him, which may happen if no offers are given for that salary hit, then if he wants a one year prove it deal to get a ring, sure. The pats didn't have a dynasty by signing players in the last years of their prime, well, unless they were cheap...

Otter 04-26-2021 10:22 AM

No thanks, Chiefs just cut Sammy Jones. Don't need to replace him.

wazu 04-26-2021 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 15645226)

:rolleyes:

ForeverIowan 04-26-2021 10:28 AM

JFC with the people comparing Julio Jones to Sammy Watkins. Julio is a future HOFer. Sammy is a #2 WR in this league who cant stay healthy. You absolutely make a move for him if the Falcons are taking calls.

TomBarndtsTwin 04-26-2021 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 15645226)

Comparing Jones to Watkins is a bit of a disservice.

Minus last year for Jones (the outlier year), one guy plays through injuries, one guy doesn't.

The numbers from the last 5 years speak for themselves.

Not advocating for the Chiefs to trade for him and take on that big cap hit, but calling him Sammy Watkins is pretty damn disrespectful considering what he has done in his career.

He typically plays through nagging injuries unlike 'wounded vag Sam' (yes, that's his actual Native American name)

Dante84 04-26-2021 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief (Post 15645218)
hard pass unless they actually cut him, which may happen if no offers are given for that salary hit, then if he wants a one year prove it deal to get a ring, sure. The pats didn't have a dynasty by signing players in the last years of their prime, well, unless they were cheap...

Someone will trade for him, no way he gets cut.

Dante84 04-26-2021 10:41 AM

The recency bias (1 injured year) + Chiefs fans' PTSD of injured players (Schwartz, Watkins, Berry, etc..) is really clouding some judgement in here, I think.

Is there a valid reason for concern with him coming off a hamstring injury at age 32? Sure, so evaluate and don't get over your skis on trade compensation. Brett won't do that, so I'm not worried.

Is he Sammy Watkins, or even in the same realm? No way, man.

htismaqe 04-26-2021 10:44 AM

The difference NOW is that Jones plays through injuries and Watkins doesn't.

That doesn't change the fact that Jones is oft-injured because he absolutely is. And while the willingness to play through them may always be there, there will come a time when Jone's 30+ body simply won't be able to do that anymore. Those nagging injuries will eventually become issues that result in lost playing time, as we saw last year. These are the types of guys we should be avoiding, not inviting.

O.city 04-26-2021 10:45 AM

A pick (probably a 2) and his cap hits, at his age?

Nah.

CoMoChief 04-26-2021 10:46 AM

Chiefs would have a Madden Ultimate Team in real life on offense if Jones was traded to KC.

ATL should do Jones a solid and trade him to us....his career has been a total waste on that franchise...a shame.

htismaqe 04-26-2021 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 15645258)
The recency bias (1 injured year) + Chiefs fans' PTSD of injured players (Schwartz, Watkins, Berry, etc..) is really clouding some judgement in here, I think.

Is there a valid reason for concern with him coming off a hamstring injury at age 32? Sure, so evaluate and don't get over your skis on trade compensation. Brett won't do that, so I'm not worried.

Is he Sammy Watkins, or even in the same realm? No way, man.

It's not recency bias.

Jones actually missed more games in 2013 than he did last year. He's actually had hamstring, foot, and ankle issues multiple times over his career.

I don't know how much stock you put into this type of analysis but I've found Sports Injury Predictor to be reasonably reliable at predicting injury outcomes for players. They nailed the results of the Dee Ford trade to SF.

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/pl...lio-jones/4692

They have Julio Jones with a 94% of missing a game due to injury and the over/under at 2.4 games. He's considered a "high risk" player.

Dante84 04-26-2021 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15645265)
The difference NOW is that Jones plays through injuries and Watkins doesn't.

That doesn't change the fact that Jones is oft-injured because he absolutely is. And while the willingness to play through them may always be there, there will come a time when Jone's 30+ body simply won't be able to do that anymore. Those nagging injuries will eventually become issues that result in lost playing time, as we saw last year. These are the types of guys we should be avoiding, not inviting.

I agree, and will defer to Veach and the Chiefs' medical staff on that determination.

We are in the unique position of being set up to win now AND in the future, which is pretty rare. Each year we'll have to play a delicate game of calculated risks to ensure that we did enough to get to the mountain-top without mortgaging our future ability to sustain.

This is one of those moves that, if they're comfortable, could be slam dunk for '21 & '22 SB runs.

Chris Meck 04-26-2021 10:50 AM

I'd really rather restock the position in the draft, and let those players grow into roles.

pugsnotdrugs19 04-26-2021 10:50 AM

I think a 2022 3rd rounder is the most I can give for him given the cap, age, injuries.

And that’s IF you don’t draft a WR in R2.