ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   **** "Expert" Mocks **** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=336297)

duncan_idaho 01-13-2021 10:10 AM

**** "Expert" Mocks ****

I thought it might be good/fun to have a "pro" mock repository for draft nerd season.

So, I think Dane Brugler is pretty outstanding at the mock draft game. Probably the best guy available. If you have The Athletic, it's always worth reading.

Post good/interesting/funny ones you run across. I can update the OP with links and such as they come.

Dane Brugler | 1.13.21 The Athletic

Chiefs take Kadarius Toney, WR, Florida (1.32) and Dayo Odeyinbingo, DE, Vanderbilt (2.64).

Brentley Wiseman | 1.15.21 Draft Network

Chiefs take Wyatt Davis, OG, The Second State University of Ohio (1.32), Elijah Moore, WR, Ole Miss (2.64), and Walker Little, OT, Stanford(3.95).

Duncan’s Most Recent

Terrance Marshall Jr, WR, LSU (2.39), Teven Walker, OL, Oklahoma State (2.64), Dabo Odeyingbo, DE, Vanderbilt (3.73), Jabril Cox, LB, LSU (3.95), Jeremy Ruckert, TE, The Second State University of Ohio (4.128)Shaun Jolly, CB, Appy State (5.160), Josh Bell, OT, Marshall (7.222)

I’ll keep updating this as the draft nears. Love this current group but think all of these guys rise as the draft approaches.

O.city 01-13-2021 10:24 AM

It would be hard for me to take a WR with Wyatt Davis sitting there. Man the more I read about him, I think he's gonna be a really good player.

OKchiefs 01-13-2021 10:35 AM

I used to get so caught up in wanting this position or that position, but now I just want the BPA in the 1st and 2nd if possible. Veach has found IMO a lot of good role players, but through his 3 drafts so far I'm still not seeing many "star" type players. Obviously that's a little difficult with not having a 1st round pick until 2020 and picking so late in the round, but I think this would be a good time to start adding some real impact players regardless of the position.

There are likely a few positions you can count out for rd 1 like QB and RB, but beyond that I want to see us take a top talent that slipped who can hopefully hit the ground running and not take 2-3 years to develop like we've seen with several of our recent higher picks.

TambaBerry 01-13-2021 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKchiefs (Post 15473232)
I used to get so caught up in wanting this position or that position, but now I just want the BPA in the 1st and 2nd if possible. Veach has found IMO a lot of good role players, but through his 3 drafts so far I'm still not seeing many "star" type players. Obviously that's a little difficult with not having a 1st round pick until 2020 and picking so late in the round, but I think this would be a good time to start adding some real impact players regardless of the position.

There are likely a few positions you can count out for rd 1 like QB and RB, but beyond that I want to see us take a top talent that slipped who can hopefully hit the ground running and not take 2-3 years to develop like we've seen with several of our recent higher picks.

That's because up until recently we have made awful picks

duncan_idaho 01-13-2021 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15473204)
It would be hard for me to take a WR with Wyatt Davis sitting there. Man the more I read about him, I think he's gonna be a really good player.

Believe he blew out a knee in the title game. Could affect his stock a bit.

The only knock I've seen on him is that he has never played C and is probably a G-only player. I like him a lot but can't see them using a 1st on a G... could see it on an OL, but I'd expect it to be someone who can play T. Teven Jenkins at Oklahoma State is interesting as a guy who has played LT, RT, and G.

Dante84 01-13-2021 12:30 PM

There used to be a site that compiled all the major mock draft results into a big spreadsheet. I forget what that was, or if anyone is doing something similar.

staylor26 01-13-2021 12:36 PM

Toney and Odeyinbingo would be an excellent pair for our first 2 picks. Sign me up for that.

Haven’t seen anybody on CP talk about Odeyinbingo, but he’s a nice sleeper type of pick that I’m sure the NFL is higher on than the pundits.

staylor26 01-13-2021 12:40 PM

Quote:

Some draft picks will “hit the ground running” like CEH, Thornhill, Sneed, Nnadi etc.

Some can be productive in a minor role while they develop like Hardman, Gay, Saunders etc.

Either way, you don’t draft for day 1 year 1. It’s a terrible philosophy with unrealistic expectations. I’ve tried to explain this over and over and you still don’t get it.

I also don’t agree that none of the guys Veach drafted have star potential.

CEH, Thornhill, Sneed, and Gay all have star potential. They’re just still young. Again, your expectations are just unrealistic. There’s a pattern here.

staylor26 01-13-2021 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 15473327)
Believe he blew out a knee in the title game. Could affect his stock a bit.

The only knock I've seen on him is that he has never played C and is probably a G-only player. I like him a lot but can't see them using a 1st on a G... could see it on an OL, but I'd expect it to be someone who can play T. Teven Jenkins at Oklahoma State is interesting as a guy who has played LT, RT, and G.

Sounds like he didn’t blow his knee out, but just re-injured his knee.

I love Davis, but he wasn’t great in the playoffs, so between that and the injury his stock will likely drop a little.

htismaqe 01-13-2021 01:37 PM

Quote:

Yuck. Davis is probably best-suited at guard and would end up being 2nd-string behind Wylie and LDT while Toney could easily become the starter opposite Hill.

No way I'm taking a guard over a WR in the 1st round.

htismaqe 01-13-2021 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15473562)
CEH, Thornhill, Sneed, and Gay all have star potential. They’re just still young. Again, your expectations are just unrealistic. There’s a pattern here.

I said this in another thread the other day. Not every star player is a star right off the bat. Neither Kelce nor Hill were. These guys need 2-3 years to develop.

O.city 01-13-2021 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15473703)
Yuck. Davis is probably best-suited at guard and would end up being 2nd-string behind Wylie and LDT while Toney could easily become the starter opposite Hill.

No way I'm taking a guard over a WR in the 1st round.

That wr would be the 4th of 5th option too though. Unless he jumps a few guys.

I’d have no problem replacing a g with a pick at 32.

Tribal Warfare 01-13-2021 09:12 PM

Quote:

Wyatt blew out a knee

htismaqe 01-14-2021 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15474672)
That wr would be the 4th of 5th option too though. Unless he jumps a few guys.

I’d have no problem replacing a g with a pick at 32.

Watkins and Robinson are gone. Toney would be the instant #2 WR outside with Hardman inside and Hill on the other side.

And you're not replacing a guard. You assume that Toney can't win a starting job and then turn around and assume Davis can. Kind of a double standard, no?

O.city 01-14-2021 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15474989)
Watkins and Robinson are gone. Toney would be the instant #2 WR outside with Hardman inside and Hill on the other side.

And you're not replacing a guard. You assume that Toney can't win a starting job and then turn around and assume Davis can. Kind of a double standard, no?

I don't think Davis would have to beat out anyone, I think he'd straight up be plugged in there. I think they'll overmake the interior OL.

I woudln't be opposed to Toney or any WR I'm just not keen on it being a first rounder after we just burned a 2nd on Hardman.

DaneMcCloud 01-14-2021 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15474989)

I'm not sure that Robinson is gone. The Chiefs can pay him the same as this year and use their Exception so he doesn't count against the cap.

I think he's worth $2 million a year but unfortunately, they've needed him to play at a higher level than his actual ability because Watkins has so many games and when he's not missing games, he's been ineffective.

If EB gets a gig, then sure, I could see him follow him but if he's willing to come back for $2 million again, I think he's still on the roster.

htismaqe 01-14-2021 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15475129)
I don't think Davis would have to beat out anyone, I think he'd straight up be plugged in there. I think they'll overmake the interior OL.

I woudln't be opposed to Toney or any WR I'm just not keen on it being a first rounder after we just burned a 2nd on Hardman.

Wyle is a RFA. LDT is under contract.

You really think they're just going to kick them to the 2nd string and get new guards in a year when the salary cap is tight?

They're going to need a new center if they don't resign Reiter and Schwartz may need to be replaced due to injury. I'm not sure why you'd expect them to do something at guard when they may already be changing at 2 out of the 5 positions.

DaneMcCloud 01-14-2021 11:51 AM

The Chiefs just need to hit on one late round offensive lineman, which is something they've done several times throughout Reid's tenure. The Patriots did it this year in Michael Onwenu and other teams have done it as well.

I'd rather see them go that route than waste a 2nd rounder on a guard or center when they should be spending those early picks on Skill guys like WR, LB, CB, S or DE, not in necessarily in that order.

Hoover 01-14-2021 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15475522)
The Chiefs just need to hit on one late round offensive lineman, which is something they've done several times throughout Reid's tenure. The Patriots did it this year in Michael Onwenu and other teams have done it as well.

I'd rather see them go that route than waste a 2nd rounder on a guard or center when they should be spending those early picks on Skill guys like WR, LB, CB, S or DE, not in necessarily in that order.

Yeah, but hitting on a guy like that means drafting them in the 5th, working with them for at least a year. That's been the model. Which is Allegretti IMO.

The problem with the offensive line is that we don't have Jack shit at center, and when that's the case your line sucks.

htismaqe 01-14-2021 03:32 PM

We're gonna probably need a center. Somebody will pay Reiter more than he's worth given how good the offense is.

I wouldn't be opposed a C at the end of the 2nd or in the 3rd but I'd really prefer to focus on the high impact positions first.

I just don't think G is that huge of a need and I don't think the Chiefs do either.

DaneMcCloud 01-14-2021 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 15475956)
Yeah, but hitting on a guy like that means drafting them in the 5th, working with them for at least a year. That's been the model. Which is Allegretti IMO.

Fulton was a 6th round selection that played in 16 games his rookie season due to what else? Injuries. He learned to play center, then left in free agency in which he snagged $7 million per from the Texans. He's pretty much been an Iron Man in his career, missing only 5 starts out of 112.

LDT was another 2014 6th rounder but didn't play his rookie season. He's started every game he's been healthy since 2015 and signed a huge extension a few years back.

Allegretti was a 7th rounder in 2019 that's stepped in and played well since taking over for Remmers, who was stepping in due to the injury to Osemele.

It took Fisher more than a full season to become acclimated at Left Tackle while Austin Reiter sat behind Mitch Morse until he was called upon to start in place of Morse, in which he claimed the starting Center position full time in 2019.

Considering the Chiefs have a pretty daunting cap situation in front of them in 2021, I doubt they'll be signing any offensive lineman to start in 2021, nor will they spend high draft picks on linemen when they need skill players at so many other positions, so they'll likely continue drafting guys late and signing cheap street Free Agents that can step in and provide average play if necessary.

The bottom line is that outside of a serious need at tackle, Reid likes to develop late rounders as opposed to taking some guy high in the draft and hope he's ready to start Day 1 because he doesn't want to pass on Game Changing players.

Hoover 01-14-2021 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15476051)
Fulton was a 6th round selection that played in 16 games his rookie season due to what else? Injuries. He learned to play center, then left in free agency in which he snagged $7 million per from the Texans. He's pretty much been an Iron Man in his career, missing only 5 starts out of 112.

LDT was another 2014 6th rounder but didn't play his rookie season. He's started every game he's been healthy since 2015 and signed a huge extension a few years back.

Allegretti was a 7th rounder in 2019 that's stepped in and played well since taking over for Remmers, who was stepping in due to the injury to Osemele.

It took Fisher more than a full season to become acclimated at Left Tackle while Austin Reiter sat behind Mitch Morse until he was called upon to start in place of Morse, in which he claimed the starting Center position full time in 2019.

Considering the Chiefs have a pretty daunting cap situation in front of them in 2021, I doubt they'll be signing any offensive lineman to start in 2021, nor will they spend high draft picks on linemen when they need skill players at so many other positions, so they'll likely continue drafting guys late and signing cheap street Free Agents that can step in and provide average play if necessary.

The bottom line is that outside of a serious need at tackle, Reid likes to develop late rounders as opposed to taking some guy high in the draft and hope he's ready to start Day 1 because he doesn't want to pass on Game Changing players.

I agree with all of that, but we need a Center, so either Williams is the man after a year of seasoning, or we are going to use a high pick on one. I think its too big of need. I actually feel pretty good about G.

DaneMcCloud 01-14-2021 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 15476188)
I agree with all of that, but we need a Center, so either Williams is the man after a year of seasoning, or we are going to use a high pick on one. I think its too big of need. I actually feel pretty good about G.

I completely disagree that the Chiefs need to reach for a Center but we'll see what happens in just a few short months.

duncan_idaho 01-14-2021 04:56 PM

Where they take a C/IOL might come down to how good they feel about Darryl Williams.

If they don’t spend a day 1-2 pick on one, it’s possibly a sign they think Williams is ready to give them something solid.

Just a lot of variables. If they think Schwartz will be back and healthy, that changes the OL complexion a lot. If they trust Niang and LDT to be upgrades from 2020 options, that also shakes it up.

DaneMcCloud 01-14-2021 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 15476268)
Where they take a C/IOL might come down to how good they feel about Darryl Williams.

If they don’t spend a day 1-2 pick on one, it’s possibly a sign they think Williams is ready to give them something solid.

Just a lot of variables. If they think Schwartz will be back and healthy, that changes the OL complexion a lot. If they trust Niang and LDT to be upgrades from 2020 options, that also shakes it up.

Plus, there will be more available options next year since the 13 Tackles and 6 guards, including LDT and Niang, that opted out this season will be playing in 2021.

If there had been an additional 19 guys to choose from this season, maybe the Chiefs wouldn't have needed to get down to their 4th option at LG, RG and RT to complete the season.

It's still amazing to me that they were essentially 14-1 with one "pre-season" game while beating the Buc, Saints, Bills and Ravens - all 2020 playoff teams - in their home stadiums, along with the Dolphins and Patriots on the road.

If the Chiefs win the Super Bowl, there will be no doubt that this is the Andy Reid's greatest coaching job of his entire career, bar none.

Direckshun 01-15-2021 01:44 AM

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles...t-weissman-4.0

Chiefs
Wyatt Davis
IOL, Ohio State

The Chiefs need to get more physical up front along the offensive line. Wyatt Davis has the athletic ability, size, and strength to be a difference-making guard from day one, and ensures that Patrick Mahomes has all of the time in the world to continue to make magic. This would be one of my favorite picks in the first round.

Chiefs
Elijah Moore
WR, Ole Miss

Chiefs
Walker Little
OT, Stanford

duncan_idaho 01-15-2021 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 15477070)

Chiefs
Wyatt Davis
IOL, Ohio State

The Chiefs need to get more physical up front along the offensive line. Wyatt Davis has the athletic ability, size, and strength to be a difference-making guard from day one, and ensures that Patrick Mahomes has all of the time in the world to continue to make magic. This would be one of my favorite picks in the first round.

Chiefs
Elijah Moore
WR, Ole Miss

Chiefs
Walker Little
OT, Stanford

OP updated.

Dane and Mecca are going to send him hate mail.

I think we’ll see a lot of mocks take that route. I don’t think it’s close to what KC will do.

Tribal Warfare 01-15-2021 02:18 PM

My stance is DGAF protect the Mahomes investment, if it means drafting an IOL or RB with high draft capital so be it.

htismaqe 01-15-2021 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 15477950)
My stance is DGAF protect the Mahomes investment, if it means drafting an IOL or RB with high draft capital so be it.

Not in the first. Especially not this year.

Bowser 01-15-2021 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15478019)
Not in the first. Especially not this year.

Is there a center worth taking a shot on at the end of the first round? That's the only position on o-line I would consider grabbing if the value is right.

htismaqe 01-15-2021 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 15478076)
Is there a center worth taking a shot on at the end of the first round? That's the only position on o-line I would consider grabbing if the value is right.

Not in my mind, no.

The sweet spot of IOL is around midway through the 2nd to the end of the 3rd, at least the way I see it.

duncan_idaho 01-15-2021 03:11 PM

Agree with ht. Mid-2nd through end of 3rd can net you Creed Humphrey or Josh Myers or Alex Lindstrom. Not a huge gap in performance on them.

BeMyValentine 01-15-2021 03:24 PM

What round would you take Nick Niemann?

htismaqe 01-15-2021 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeMyValentine (Post 15478132)
What round would you take Nick Niemann?

ROFL

DaneMcCloud 01-15-2021 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 15477070)

Chiefs
Wyatt Davis
IOL, Ohio State

Chiefs
Elijah Moore
WR, Ole Miss

Chiefs
Walker Little
OT, Stanford

This is about as realistic as me buying the Chiefs from the Hunt Family tomorrow.

staylor26 01-15-2021 11:51 PM

I was more open to OL in the 1st when it looked like we were getting a 3rd round comp pick.

I felt more comfortable filling our other needs then, now I want a WR or EDGE in the 1st. There will be value there.

Bowser 01-16-2021 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15478533)
This is about as realistic as me buying the Chiefs from the Hunt Family tomorrow.

Hook a brotha up with a lifetime suite at the stadium, Mr. NFL Owner Sir?

Bowser 01-16-2021 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15478865)
I was more open to OL in the 1st when it looked like we were getting a 3rd round comp pick.

I felt more comfortable filling our other needs then, now I want a WR or EDGE in the 1st. There will be value there.

I've really gotten on the Pringle bandwagon. Not saying we shouldn't bolster the WR corps, especially if both Watkins and Robinson don't make it back, but I feel the kid has earned a shot at the #3 or 4 spot. I think I want a young stud pass rusher on the other side of (a healthy, hopefully) Clark in the first or second.

Chris Meck 01-19-2021 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15478865)

I'm leaning Edge myself.

Chris Meck 01-19-2021 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 15479025)
I've really gotten on the Pringle bandwagon. Not saying we shouldn't bolster the WR corps, especially if both Watkins and Robinson don't make it back, but I feel the kid has earned a shot at the #3 or 4 spot. I think I want a young stud pass rusher on the other side of (a healthy, hopefully) Clark in the first or second.

I'm leaning edge too, but I think Clark has a crohns issue or something similar. I don't think it's going to get better.

duncan_idaho 01-28-2021 03:53 PM

Here's an updated one I did today from PFN. I trade down a BUNCH once I got into the second round.

1.32 - Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State. Mayfield also was on the board. I took the more proven, more versatile player.
3.72 - Dayo Odeyingbo, DE, Vandy.
3.95 - Marquez Stevenson, WR, Houston
4.101 - Tyree Gillespie, S, Missouri (very versatile, can play single high, good hitter/tackler)
4.119 - Payton Turner, DE, Houston (another big DE with versatility and scheme fit)
5.158 - Quinn Meinerz, C, Wisconsin-Whitewater (My new crush, no way he lasts this long after Senior Bowl performance).
6.163 - Austin Watkins, WR, UAB (also won't last this long after the Senior Bowl)

Chris Meck 01-28-2021 05:40 PM

Quote:

um.

Sneed and Clyde look like stars already from the 2020 draft, and that's not counting solid contributions from Danna and Wharton. Add in Gay, who we knew was raw but a physical freak of a talent and I'd say that's a pretty good draft at the back of each round.

I don't think you're very realistic.

kccrow 01-28-2021 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15473556)
Toney and Odeyinbingo would be an excellent pair for our first 2 picks. Sign me up for that.

Haven’t seen anybody on CP talk about Odeyinbingo, but he’s a nice sleeper type of pick that I’m sure the NFL is higher on than the pundits.

I think Joe Tryon-Shoyinka from Washington should be in the conversation as well as Odeyinbingo.

I like Tryon alot more, just not quite sure if he'll be there at 64.

duncan_idaho 01-28-2021 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 15516513)
I think Joe Tryon-Shoyinka from Washington should be in the conversation as well as Odeyinbingo.

I like Tryon alot more, just not quite sure if he'll be there at 64.

He went top 50 in that mock I ran there.

Translating his skills to pass rush production sounds like it’s a bit of a question with him.

KChiefs1 01-29-2021 11:57 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fTSa_HzLTFQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KChiefs1 01-29-2021 12:15 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vOBhfunolwo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>