ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft CB Greedy Williams not a 1st round pick? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=322240)

JakeF 04-08-2019 05:22 PM

CB Greedy Williams not a 1st round pick?

GREEDY WILLIAMS
DB, LSU TIGERS

The Athletic's Dane Brugler reports that "several teams" don't have first-round grades on LSU CB Greedy Williams.
Williams (6'2/185) sits on the Round 1/2 borderline, but this report indicates opinions are all over the place. After a dominant 2017 collegiate season, Williams allowed the lowest catch rate among SEC cornerbacks in 2018, but some draft analysts are concerned with his slender frame and how that projects to his tackling ability. Despite the critique, NFL Media's Lance Zierlein says Williams has the potential to be a team's CB1.

Per Rotoworld

staylor26 04-08-2019 05:23 PM

I’ll take him at 29

Bowser 04-08-2019 05:23 PM

Good, let him drop to 29 with no questions asked.

ToxSocks 04-08-2019 05:23 PM

There's always a few of these DB's that we CPers think are first round talents who end up slipping to the top of the 2nd.

I feel like Adderly is going to slip. Maybe this guy too /shrug.

ToxSocks 04-08-2019 05:24 PM

To be fair, 185lbs is pretty slender for a 6-2" defender.

OnTheWarpath15 04-08-2019 05:26 PM

I've read reports that he's being pushed down purposely. I'll try to find the tweet. Referenced another player being pushed up that maybe didn't deserve it.

OnTheWarpath15 04-08-2019 05:26 PM

Also, we don't seem to care about tackling ability - we drafted Marcus Peters.

OnTheWarpath15 04-08-2019 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15 (Post 14198453)
I've read reports that he's being pushed down purposely. I'll try to find the tweet. Referenced another player being pushed up that maybe didn't deserve it.

I can't find it, but damn if this kid doesn't get compared to Marcus Peters a lot. Lack of tacking and attitude.

ToxSocks 04-08-2019 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15 (Post 14198458)
I can't find it, but damn if this kid doesn't get compared to Marcus Peters a lot. Lack of tacking and attitude.

He's rail then though, unlike Peters who's well built for the position.

I think Adderly looks kinda smallish out there, and this guy is an inch or two taller and 20lbs lighter.

JakeF 04-08-2019 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15 (Post 14198455)
Also, we don't seem to care about tackling ability - we drafted Marcus Peters.

I thought that's why we dumped him too.

Bowser 04-08-2019 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 14198447)
There's always a few of these DB's that we CPers think are first round talents who end up slipping to the top of the 2nd.

I feel like Adderly is going to slip. Maybe this guy too /shrug.

Brings up a question - if (big if) Williams and Adderly are both still there, which one should we take?

Bowser 04-08-2019 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14198466)
Brings up a question - if (big if) Williams and Adderly are both still there, which one should we take?

Hockerson/Fant!

/DJLN

ToxSocks 04-08-2019 05:36 PM

Quote:

I like Adderly's game better.

But the Chiefs will take a DL, both will drop to the 2nd, then we'l spend all night discussing how the Chiefs can trade up to grab one, only to see them not trade up at all.

frozenchief 04-08-2019 05:47 PM

I'd rather see us get Byron Murphy from UW.

Best22 04-08-2019 05:50 PM

Looks like Greedy Williams wasn’t “Greedy” enough in the kitchen!

Needs to get bigger!

Angry fan 04-08-2019 05:53 PM

Greedy Williams needs to live up to his name and pick off 10 balls a season. I don't care if he blows coverages regularly. As long as he picks off 10 balls a season and lives up to his name.

Quentin Jammer didn't live up to his name. What a shame!

Best22 04-08-2019 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angry fan (Post 14198505)
Greedy Williams needs to live up to his name and pick off 10 balls a season. I don't care if he blows coverages regularly. As long as he picks off 10 balls a season and lives up to his name.

Quentin Jammer didn't live up to his name. What a shame!

Most players don’t live up to their name

KU QB Kale Pick only threw one interception in his illustrious career

Kiimo 04-08-2019 05:57 PM

You should mention that Dane Brugler's mock had the Chiefs passing on Greedy Williams to take ROCK YA SIN.

Quote:

29. Kansas City Chiefs – Rock Ya-Sin, CB, Temple
The Chiefs’ splashy free agent signing on defense was Tyrann Mathieu, but that still leaves holes at pass rusher and cornerback. With Kansas City expected to run more zone looks under defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, Ya-Sin would be a logical fit.
And here's the rest of the Chiefs' picks

Kansas City Chiefs
1 29 CB Rock Ya-Sin
2 61 WR Andy Isabella
2 63 EDGE Jaylon Ferguson
3 92 OG/C Connor McGovern
5 167 LB Emeke Egbule
6 201 SS Khari Willis
6 214 DL Amani Bledsoe
7 216 RB Mike Weber

As far as tackling Rock Ya Sin is kind of a badass. Two time state champion wrestler, he's no Marcus Peters.

Kman34 04-08-2019 06:40 PM

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/AzlU.../1783889.0.jpg

Iconic 04-08-2019 06:48 PM

He absolutely is. Some prefer Murphy to him but that's really just preference. Murphy is a more polished product.

I prefer Greedy, IMO he has insane upside. PP level.

Tribal Warfare 04-08-2019 06:51 PM

From what I read he's more concerned about the glamour being an NFL player and doesn't surround himself with "good character" individuals

Simply Red 04-08-2019 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenchief (Post 14198492)
I'd rather see us get Byron Murphy from UW.

yes - he's a nasty piece of shit.

farmerchief 04-08-2019 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic (Post 14198587)
He absolutely is. Some prefer Murphy to him but that's really just preference. Murphy is a more polished product.

I prefer Greedy, IMO he has insane upside. PP level.

only concern I have with him, is if a 225# RB comes around the corner to his side, will he square up and meet him and make the tackle, or do an "ole'", like Marcus Peters preferred to do?

Sofa King 04-08-2019 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 14198472)
I like Adderly's game better.

But the Chiefs will take a DL, both will drop to the 2nd, then we'l spend all night discussing how the Chiefs can trade up to grab one, only to see them not trade up at all.

This. A lot of truth here!

Hog's Gone Fishin 04-08-2019 07:25 PM

Report is he's the best cover guy in the draft but he's a pussy.

nychief 04-08-2019 07:28 PM

um.. everybody is lying from here until the draft is over. GW goes in the first... prolly the top half.

Chief Roundup 04-08-2019 07:28 PM

Quote:

To me you take Greedy knowing that if you can't get the FS type you want then you can always sign a Boston or whomever as a stop gap. There are no players at CB that are available.

Chief Roundup 04-08-2019 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmerchief (Post 14198609)
only concern I have with him, is if a 225# RB comes around the corner to his side, will he square up and meet him and make the tackle, or do an "ole'", like Marcus Peters preferred to do?

Insert you favorite Mexican Bull Fighter waving the flag. He is not a tackler.

neech 04-08-2019 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 14198648)
Insert you favorite Mexican Bull Fighter waving the flag. He is not a tackler.

Peters 2.0

A solid cover guy but won't tackle that's the trade off. If I recall Deion Sanders wasn't a tackler and he is considered one the best CB's in football.

185 lb's and 6'2 is a small frame for the NFl though.

RealSNR 04-08-2019 09:30 PM

Did somebody say Gritty?

https://assets3.thrillist.com/v1/ima...ing_mobile.jpg

Rain Man 04-08-2019 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 14198641)
um.. everybody is lying from here until the draft is over. GW goes in the first... prolly the top half.

This is a good point. I bet 27 teams are leaking that they don't have a first-round grade on Nick Bosa.

Coochie liquor 04-09-2019 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Best22 (Post 14198512)
Most players don’t live up to their name

KU QB Kale Pick only threw one interception in his illustrious career

If players lived up to their name then Chris Jones name might be Marcus peters instead

arrowheadnation 04-09-2019 06:59 AM

I heard his "thing" (other than tackling) is that he quit on his team last year. To those that say that, it's a little different when you're out of the running for a national title and decide to shut it down to avoid an injury that could derail your multi-million dollar future as compared to quitting on an NFL team (his mother was a single mother and he is already the father of a 2 year old BTW). That would get you kicked out of the locker room or cut. Even when football is involved, there are bigger things than football. I'd be glad to take him at 29. Deion never tackled and he is in the HOF.

BossChief 04-09-2019 08:33 AM

He’s pretty much the consensus top cover corner in the draft.

If he’s there at 29, it would be really hard not to take him,

O.city 04-09-2019 08:42 AM

Tackling for a CB is pretty far down the list for me but I think i'm pretty much alone in that assessment.

RunKC 04-09-2019 08:46 AM

Hard for me to fully believe this considering everyone in this business lies in April. I wonder if this is a few teams trying to shit talk him so he falls down the board to their pick.

DJ's left nut 04-09-2019 08:52 AM

Been sayin' it since draft season kicked off - this is a pretty poor CB class and Williams is a fringe first round player. Murphy's the only guy that I'd give a definite 1st round grade among the CBs.

I'd probably take Williams at 29 if he's there because if he's still sitting there, the rest of the NFL has probably picked clean the guys I'd consider blue chip talents and he'd fit our scheme well. Of similarly situated prospects, he'd probably be the best guy sitting there.

But I wouldn't go dancing through the streets thinking we stole one by any means. He reminds me a bit of Eli Apple and I'm not sure he's clearly any better than someone like Trayvon Mullen, who nobody seems to see as a 1st rounder and some are putting in the 3rd.

DJ's left nut 04-09-2019 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14198469)
Hockerson/Fant!

/DJLN

If it's Greedy or Hock, I'm taking Hock.

Fant's a closer call due to fit rather than talent. But I don't think either guy falls that far. Fant is such a perfect fit with the Packers and I think Hock will go somewhere between the Jags and the Bills; the Jags, Lions and Bills could all really use him and he's the most complete TE talent in this draft by far.

Titty Meat 04-09-2019 09:18 AM

Hockerson is a god damn beast and Fant is pretty good.

We should go dancing through the streets if Hockerson fell to us.

pugsnotdrugs19 04-09-2019 09:21 AM

When I think of LSU corners, Greedy feels more like a Morris Claiborne type than PP... so I’m iffy on him to say the least.

Whether I pick him or not probably comes down to the meetings they’ve presumably had with him. Get a feel for the character and go from there.

CoMoChief 04-09-2019 09:24 AM

Peters wasn't the reason why the D was terrible during his last days.

Yes he sucked at tackling, but the secondary overall was better when he was on the field and the D sure as hell made more plays (sometimes game saving) when he was on the field.

You can always bulk up in the weight room, he has the frame/size to gain 15 lbs of muscle.

If Greedy is there at 29, Veach would be a ****ing moron not to draft him...assuming they don't trade up into the mid/late teens for someone like Ferrell, which I wouldn't be opposed to either.

ToxSocks 04-09-2019 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 14199144)
He’s pretty much the consensus top cover corner in the draft.

If he’s there at 29, it would be really hard not to take him,

Well, according to the OP he's far from the consensus top corner.

pugsnotdrugs19 04-09-2019 09:34 AM

I’m not saying I wouldn’t take him at 29, but if he’s sitting there at said pick, why do they have to take him? Shouldn’t we assume he’s fallen that far for a reason?

It wouldn’t be a Derwin James scenario.

DJ's left nut 04-09-2019 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 14199202)
When I think of LSU corners, Greedy feels more like a Morris Claiborne type than PP... so I’m iffy on him to say the least.

Whether I pick him or not probably comes down to the meetings they’ve presumably had with him. Get a feel for the character and go from there.

Greedy's more flexible than Claiborne. Claiborne just looked so damn stiff that it wasn't a surprise that he couldn't do much in man.

I don't quite see that from Greedy. Honestly I'm not sure exactly what I don't like about him - he just doesn't seem terribly aware out there at times. The athleticism is good, the agility will play. He just kinda loses the thread at times.

Like I said - at 29 I'd probably gamble and see if we can get him to engage more often because he does have starting CB physical tools. But there's more bust potential there than most guys with his attributes because you can't have a space cadet on an island. It just doesn't work - he'll burn you at the worst time every time.

Buckweath 04-09-2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 14199207)
Peters wasn't the reason why the D was terrible during his last days.

Yes he sucked at tackling, but the secondary overall was better when he was on the field and the D sure as hell made more plays (sometimes game saving) when he was on the field.

You can always bulk up in the weight room, he has the frame/size to gain 15 lbs of muscle.

If Greedy is there at 29, Veach would be a ****ing moron not to draft him...assuming they don't trade up into the mid/late teens for someone like Ferrell, which I wouldn't be opposed to either.

More like if every player on that defense was playing at Peters' level, it would have been the best defense in the league.

The guy was a baller.

DJ's left nut 04-09-2019 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 14199221)
I’m not saying I wouldn’t take him at 29, but if he’s sitting there at said pick, why do they have to take him? Shouldn’t we assume he’s fallen that far for a reason?

It wouldn’t be a Derwin James scenario.

Yeah, there are scenarios where Greedy at 29 may not be the best guy on the board. Not a lot of them, but they exist.

Though I can't get myself as down on him as some of the draft guys are; I'm not putting folks like Ya Sin or Oruwariye ahead of him as I've seen from a few of these dudes.

He's a solid developmental prospect who's just not quite as the obvious 'Day 1 starter' as the building consensus was when the draft season kicked off, IMO. And even if he is the top CB in the class (though I don't believe he is), that's a testament to the weakness of the CB crop this year more than it is Greedy's prospect status. It just isn't a very good CB class.

pugsnotdrugs19 04-09-2019 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14199227)
Greedy's more flexible than Claiborne. Claiborne just looked so damn stiff that it wasn't a surprise that he couldn't do much in man.

I don't quite see that from Greedy. Honestly I'm not sure exactly what I don't like about him - he just doesn't seem terribly aware out there at times. The athleticism is good, the agility will play. He just kinda loses the thread at times.

Like I said - at 29 I'd probably gamble and see if we can get him to engage more often because he does have starting CB physical tools. But there's more bust potential there than most guys with his attributes because you can't have a space cadet on an island. It just doesn't work - he'll burn you at the worst time every time.

I just watched his full game against Ole Miss last year where he was almost exclusively on Metcalf. Did a solid job. No big plays that I can recall. Had one stupid penalty and drew an OPI from Metcalf as well.

Looked very fluid in press man and ‘sticky’ on a play-to-play basis. The game got a little out of hand eventually on the scoreboard and I think their defense started to let off the gas, playing more off zone.

Wish he would’ve covered Brown more than he did to get a better look against a solid route runner.

DJ's left nut 04-09-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 14199242)
I just watched his full game against Ole Miss last year where he was almost exclusively on Metcalf. Did a solid job. No big plays that I can recall. Had one stupid penalty and drew an OPI from Metcalf as well.

Looked very fluid in press man and ‘sticky’ on a play-to-play basis. The game got a little out of hand eventually on the scoreboard and I think their defense started to let off the gas, playing more off zone.

Wish he would’ve covered Brown more than he did to get a better look against a solid route runner.

I was so bummed out seeing Kristian Fulton return to LSU. He was my under the radar CB prospect in this draft. I actually thought he looked better on most plays than Williams did.

I actually think Fulton is a better long-term bet than Williams is and I think he could easily play himself into the 1st round this year. That kid looks outstanding.

pugsnotdrugs19 04-09-2019 09:57 AM

Also looked at some of Greedy’s Georgia game—very patient at the LOS. Pretty much shut down Ridley from what I saw. Definitely a press man corner through and through.

If you take him, you hope this staff and the tougher minded defenders they’ve brought in will rub off on him as he becomes a ‘pro’.