ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Gallbladder Surgery (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=278856)

bevischief 11-23-2013 05:50 AM

Gallbladder Surgery

Mine's not playing well with others and me. Tell me more. Debating how much more I want to deal with this.

Ace Gunner 11-23-2013 06:17 AM

DIY save some cash

Lex Luthor 11-23-2013 06:48 AM

Don't wait for it to suddenly flare up and force you into unplanned emergency surgery. When that happened to me it was the worst day of my life, and the doctor told me later that I could have died. My gallbladder had turned necrotic and pumped so much poison into my body that I was in agony by the time I made it to the emergency room. I was in so much pain that I thought I was dying.

The surgery to remove the gall bladder is simple and you recover quickly. Get it done. It's a no-brainer.

bevischief 11-23-2013 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 10213105)
Don't wait for it to suddenly flare up and force you into unplanned emergency surgery. When that happened to me it was the worst day of my life, and the doctor told me later that I could have died. My gallbladder had turned necrotic and pumped so much poison into my body that I was in agony by the time I made it to the emergency room. I was in so much pain that I thought I was dying.

The surgery to remove the gall bladder is simple and you recover quickly. Get it done. It's a no-brainer.

I know the waring signs when to go to the ER. Not there yet. I live about 3 blocks from the nearset ER.

Mr_Tomahawk 11-23-2013 07:25 AM

Go ask Your lover, Tyler Bray.

Eleazar 11-23-2013 07:29 AM

It's laproscopic, you'll be home in a day or two at most. Sometimes same day.

Scorp 11-23-2013 07:51 AM

In and out. 5 hr. ordeal. Was eating a double cheeseburger 15 minutes after leaving hospital.

mikeyis4dcats. 11-23-2013 07:54 AM

Surgery itsself takes about half an hour. Single small incision. You'll be back to work in 2 days. Just get it done before the misery sets in.

My wife had an attack while we were in Mexico, and they got her meds to make her comfortable. She didn't have surgery, and a couple of months ago had another attack, much more severe. Since she is pregnant, she can't have the surgery until the second trimester or preferably after birth.

BlackHelicopters 11-23-2013 08:36 AM

Use a discount coupon at a local surgical center. Go for the cheapest rate.

Gonzo 11-23-2013 09:02 AM

Easy surgery. Two or three little 1/2 inch incisions. Out of the hospital same day.

Maybe they can get your pap-smear done at the same time.
;)

Scorp 11-23-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 10213171)
Maybe they can get your pap-smear done at the same time.
;)

"You are going to feel a little pressure now."

cdcox 11-23-2013 09:16 AM

It won't get better on its own. You'll have to get it out sooner or later. So every time you have an attack from this day forward, it will be one that you didn't have to endure.

Lex Luthor 11-23-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 10213106)
I know the waring signs when to go to the ER. Not there yet. I live about 3 blocks from the nearset ER.

Great idea: Wait until the last possible moment so that you can maximize your pain and your risk of complications. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will turn necrotic at a time when it's very convenient.

Stop being a pussy. Just go get it taken care of. Laparoscopic surgery is so easy and non-invasive that you'll wonder why you put it off.

threebag 11-23-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorp (Post 10213127)
In and out. 5 hr. ordeal. Was eating a double cheeseburger 15 minutes after leaving hospital.

This.

Quit smoking cigarettes that night I had mine removed. That was four years ago.

J Diddy 11-23-2013 10:09 AM

You've got a lot of gall asking that shit around here!

Bladder get it taken care of or else you'll be pissing giant blades of grass that are yellowish in color and pooping razor blades.

Mr. Laz 11-23-2013 11:33 AM

no biggie for me

5 cuts about 1-inch long on stomach. One of them is inside belly button so you can't even see it. Took about 4-5 hours for surgery part with a couple days of being sore. About a week for my digestive system to adjust.

KCFaninSEA 11-23-2013 11:37 AM

Had mine out a few years ago. Wasn't to bad. Abdomen area felt like Mike Tyson punched me 1000 times but that only lasted a couple days. Much better without it. Your crapping will never be the same.

Imon Yourside 11-23-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCFaninSEA (Post 10213404)
Had mine out a few years ago. Wasn't to bad. Abdomen area felt like Mike Tyson punched me 1000 times but that only lasted a couple days. Much better without it. Your crapping will never be the same.

Well crap.

bevischief 11-23-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 10213191)
Great idea: Wait until the last possible moment so that you can maximize your pain and your risk of complications. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will turn necrotic at a time when it's very convenient.

Stop being a pussy. Just go get it taken care of. Laparoscopic surgery is so easy and non-invasive that you'll wonder why you put it off.

Just started a new job and the off season for us is now and everyone have has to take their time off.

Earthling 11-23-2013 12:12 PM

I think its possible to use a coat hanger and get that rascal out of there. But seriously I wouldn't put it off too long. Good luck.

Mosbonian 11-23-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 10213463)
Just started a new job and the off season for us is now and everyone have has to take their time off.

Well, you're playing chicken with something you shouldn't. It's simple and easy to get done and depending on how well you recover you could go back to work within 2 days at the latest.

The only thing you have to do is remember to keep within 2 minutes of a bathroom after eating for the first few weeks of the surgery.

And KCFANinSEA is correct, your crap will never be the same after that.

unlurking 11-23-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 10213191)

This.

I spent 24 hours in the hospital on antibiotics and painmeds waiting for the inflammation to go down before they could operate. Apparently laparoscopy becomes a less likely option the larger your gallbladder gets.

Also, nobody warned me about this or explained laparoscopy to me at the time (pretty out of it on meds), and it kinda freaked me out. Apparently they pump air into your abdomen to make it easier to see and move around inside you. When they're done, they release as much as they can, but you often get sewn up with air bubbles still inside that can move around your body. When I first woke up and couldn't yet move, I had a horrible pain in my shoulder. I thought they dropped me off the operating table or something. Apparently it was just a gas bubble, but it hurt like hell.

Mosbonian 11-23-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 10213540)
This.

I spent 24 hours in the hospital on antibiotics and painmeds waiting for the inflammation to go down before they could operate. Apparently laparoscopy becomes a less likely option the larger your gallbladder gets.

Also, nobody warned me about this or explained laparoscopy to me at the time (pretty out of it on meds), and it kinda freaked me out. Apparently they pump air into your abdomen to make it easier to see and move around inside you. When they're done, they release as much as they can, but you often get sewn up with air bubbles still inside that can move around your body. When I first woke up and couldn't yet move, I had a horrible pain in my shoulder. I thought they dropped me off the operating table or something. Apparently it was just a gas bubble, but it hurt like hell.

They told me all about it....told me when I woke up to say a number from 1-10 for a pain scale. They would adjust my meds based on my number...when I came out I said 7....and 5 seconds later I was feeling no pain. Now, when that gas bubble decides to leave the best thing your family can do is leave the house.

RINGLEADER 11-23-2013 03:07 PM

What the other guy said about not waiting.

If you have stones and one gets into the tubes connecting your gallbladder to wherever it goes to you're in a world of hurt. I had stones and took care of it electively. Was in and out in two hours. My stomach looked like it had been with a baseball bat and felt even worse but after a couple days it wasn't so bad. A week or so later and good as new.

If it goes bad and you can't do the laproscopic surgery you get the big "L" cut and it can be a week or more in the hospital.

Mosbonian 11-23-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 10213873)
What the other guy said about not waiting.

If you have stones and one gets into the tubes connecting your gallbladder to wherever it goes to you're in a world of hurt. I had stones and took care of it electively. Was in and out in two hours. My stomach looked like it had been with a baseball bat and felt even worse but after a couple days it wasn't so bad. A week or so later and good as new.

If it goes bad and you can't do the laproscopic surgery you get the big "L" cut and it can be a week or more in the hospital.

Nevermind the fact that you also run the risk of having to spend a week with a tube coming out of your stomach to help drain remnants of the poison in your system.

TribalElder 11-23-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCFaninSEA (Post 10213404)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 10213512)
Well, you're playing chicken with something you shouldn't. It's simple and easy to get done and depending on how well you recover you could go back to work within 2 days at the latest.

The only thing you have to do is remember to keep within 2 minutes of a bathroom after eating for the first few weeks of the surgery.

And KCFANinSEA is correct, your crap will never be the same after that.

Please elaborate on the changing of the poo

Does the removal of the gall bladder take away the enjoyment or control of bowel movements? The **** are you guys talking about? What changes ? Shitting is now streamlined? Just wondering ROFL

notorious 11-23-2013 03:48 PM

JFC, after reading this thread I might have mine removed and I have never had a single problem with it.

Mosbonian 11-23-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 10213921)

Does the removal of the gall bladder take away the enjoyment or control of bowel movements? The **** are you guys talking about? What changes ? Shitting is now streamlined? Just wondering ROFL

Well...your concern about stream is valid. Sometimes depending on what you eat, it becomes more of a stream.

For the most part, it doesn't change bowel habits. But sometimes what you eat can cause it to be one of those "hurry up and get to the bathroom" situation.

Imon Yourside 11-23-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 10213540)
This.

Ya i've heard about those. Always ask the doctor to squeeze the air out of you before sealing you back up.

steve_minor 11-23-2013 06:21 PM

Just do it ... I had mine taken out. Surgery is simple and recovery is super fast. You will feel like a champ the day after surgery. DON'T BE FOOLED ... Take it easy. I was running up and down stairs the day after without pain. The next day I was stuck in bed. :)

When a stone gets stuck the attack can be horrible!!!

Good Luck

bevischief 11-23-2013 08:23 PM

No stones.

Captain Obvious 11-23-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 10214048)
But sometimes what you eat can cause it to be one of those "hurry up and get to the bathroom" situation.

This. When going out to eat, you will need to be selective about what you eat. And your plans after you eat.

cosmo20002 11-23-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 10213101)
Mine's not playing well with others and me. Tell me more. Debating how much more I want to deal with this.

Toughen up, buttercup. Rub some dirt on it. Walk it off.

Iowanian 11-23-2013 09:37 PM

Get it done if it's needed.

Not that big of a deal and you'll feel a lot better...........but probably have the shits for a year.

threebag 11-23-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 10215102)
Get it done if it's needed.

Not that big of a deal and you'll feel a lot better...........but probably have the shits for the rest of your life.

FYP

It doesn't matter what you eat. Plan on visiting the shitter soon after eating.

Mosbonian 11-23-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious (Post 10214856)
This. When going out to eat, you will need to be selective about what you eat. And your plans after you eat.

Yeah....I never recommend eating Mexican or Chinese for the first few weeks after gall bladder surgery. Unless of course you get it as take out and eat at home.

Even then....you designate one bathroom in the house as yours and tell everyone else enter at your own risk.

bevischief 11-24-2013 03:59 AM

My wife has crohn's disease and one surgery down to fix it and a trip to the Mayo Clinic.

ptlyon 11-24-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 10215576)
My wife has crohn's disease and one surgery down to fix it and a trip to the Mayo Clinic.

Damn dude, good luck! :huh:

BlackHelicopters 11-24-2013 08:57 AM

Best of luck to you

Brock 11-24-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious (Post 10214856)

Wish somebody would have told me this.

bevischief 11-24-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 10215847)
Wish somebody would have told me this.

This is one reason I have been fighting against this.

unlurking 11-24-2013 11:02 AM

I have to disagree with the "shits" thing being permanent. It is tough at first, long term is dependent on diet. It was explained to me that the gallbladder creates the bile that breaks down grease and fats. Without it, they kind of flow through your system without breaking down (read very quickly!).

I was pretty much back to normal after a few years. Did increase fiber/greens though and tried to decrease fat for basic health reasons anyway, so that may have helped.

unlurking 11-24-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 10215864)

Just plan on lots of greens/fibers. Also, SMALL meals for a while. What worked for me for the first couple years after was just breaking my lunch into two small and kept tons of small snacks like granola bars at my desk.

KCFaninSEA 11-24-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 10213921)

The gall bladder emits a biel that breaks down grease/ oil. If you eat a greasy / oily diet the food will run through you like Carl Lewis. That is how it was explained to me by the doctor. I had mine removed years ago and still have to be careful, especially if I go out to restaurant.

Brock 11-24-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 10215864)

Not a huge deal, but eating barbecue at the tailgate is OUT for me. I've switched over to a mostly whole foods diet and don't have a lot of trouble anymore.

notorious 11-24-2013 11:10 AM

Getting your GB removed should help people lose weight if the grease doesn't get broken down.

I already shit like a champion, if I had my GB removed I would be dangerous.

Gracie Dean 11-24-2013 02:40 PM

the longer you wait, the worse the poison in your body and you might have to have IV antibiotics before they can remove the GB. Very true about the restroom issue.

I had mine out, then had horrible RR issues. It was after that they discovered the Crohn's and other complications. I asked my doctor if having the GB removed caused the Crohn's (I knew nothing about it then...know way more now) He said no, the Crohn's likely caused the GB mess.

BWillie 04-24-2024 10:24 AM

So I'm wondering if Im having this problem. I wake up in the middle of the night with back pain. Gets worse progressively thru the night. Lately its even moving to the front a little bit but on the right OR left side. If I poke myself on the right side I dont feel any tenderness though.

I haven't really tried to eat real healthy food for a day and see if it subsides so I will try that in the interim. Ive had nocturnal back pain for about a year now. Then in the day it goes away but lately it is lasting longer after I wake up.

cabletech94 04-24-2024 03:32 PM

i miss gracie dean, aka noswad. i hope wherever she is she is at peace.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-24-2024 04:16 PM

Is bevis still kicking?

dlphg9 04-24-2024 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17491844)
So I'm wondering if Im having this problem. I wake up in the middle of the night with back pain. Gets worse progressively thru the night. Lately its even moving to the front a little bit but on the right OR left side. If I poke myself on the right side I dont feel any tenderness though.

I haven't really tried to eat real healthy food for a day and see if it subsides so I will try that in the interim. Ive had nocturnal back pain for about a year now. Then in the day it goes away but lately it is lasting longer after I wake up.

If it's the gallbladder then the pain would be under the lower right side of the rib cage. Usually it starts there and radiates directly through to your back.

big nasty kcnut 04-24-2024 05:04 PM

Gallbladder surgery sucks but you get over it. I feel way lighter and I only poop alot during work.

stumppy 04-24-2024 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabletech94 (Post 17492289)
i miss gracie dean, aka noswad. i hope wherever she is she is at peace.

I was wondering where she was, didn't know if she passed away or what. It looks like one of her last posts was in this thread. Been a long time.

TEX 04-24-2024 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 10215874)
I have to disagree with the "shits" thing being permanent. It is tough at first, long term is dependent on diet. It was explained to me that the gallbladder creates the bile that breaks down grease and fats. Without it, they kind of flow through your system without breaking down (read very quickly!).

I was pretty much back to normal after a few years. Did increase fiber/greens though and tried to decrease fat for basic health reasons anyway, so that may have helped.

The gallbladder doesn't create bile, it stores it. When you get your gallbladder removed the bile runs freely from your liver to your bowels. Versus storing it in your gallbladder and just using it when you to digest fatty foods. Once your gallbladder is removed, the free flowing of bile into your bowels can create digestive issues in some people.

I had an issue with my gallbladder several years back. Had a gallbladder attack landed in the hospital they gave me antibiotics, told me that I should get it removed when the inflammation goes down. I opted instead for controlling it with a strict non-fat diet. 3- 4 years later I can pretty much eat anything within a reason. I did change my eating habits and I ate a lot of small meals rather than big ones. But like I said now it's pretty much normal but I got into my diet so much that I've stayed on it. It's basically a Mediterranean diet low fat low carb. No Dairy hardly at all. Had an ultrasound on my gallbladder and most of my stones have dissolved, or have been excreted without getting stuck in my bilary system.

dlphg9 04-24-2024 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 17492624)
The gallbladder doesn't create bile, it stores it. When you get your gallbladder removed the bile runs freely from your liver to your bowels. Versus storing it in your gallbladder and just using it when you to digest fatty foods. Once your gallbladder is removed, the he the free flowing of bile into your bowels can create digestive issues in some people.
I had an issue with my gallbladder several years back. Had a gallbladder attack landed in the hospital they gave me antibiotics, told me that I should get it removed when the inflammation goes down. I opted instead for controlling it with a strict non-fat diet. 3- 4 years later I can pretty much eat anything within a reason. I did change my eating habits and I ate a lot of small meals rather than big ones. But like I said now it's pretty much normal but I got into my diet so much that I've stayed on it. It's basically a Mediterranean diet low fat low carb. No Dairy hardly at all. Had an ultrasound on my gallbladder and most of my stones have dissolved, or have been excreted without getting stuck in my bilary system.

That's all well and good for someone with an inflamed gallbladder, but doesn't really help someone with gallstones.