ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs and Chris Jones working towards a long term deal. . (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=330348)

DTVietnam 04-03-2020 06:19 AM

Chiefs and Chris Jones working towards a long term deal. .

not sure how valid this source is. .

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> are planning to keep DL Chris Jones.</p>&mdash; Chiefs Daily (@chiefsdaily15) <a href="https://twitter.com/chiefsdaily15/status/1246047349031526401?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 3, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> &amp; Jones will work towards a long-term deal even though it will be very tough. Both sides have interest. Let’s see what happens. <br><br>News came from <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@AdamSchefter</a></p>&mdash; Chiefs Daily (@chiefsdaily15) <a href="https://twitter.com/chiefsdaily15/status/1246048289885167616?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 3, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://media1.giphy.com/media/h1uCv...&rid=giphy.gif

TribalElder 04-03-2020 06:20 AM

lets go!

DTVietnam 04-03-2020 06:23 AM

he says Adam is the source but nothing on Adams page..anyone know if this is a reliable source (Chiefs Daily)

Hog's Gone Fishin 04-03-2020 06:24 AM

40 million dollar contract

5 mill a year for 8 years.

tyecopeland 04-03-2020 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTVietnam (Post 14884255)
he says Adam is the source but nothing on Adams page..anyone know if this is a reliable source (Chiefs Daily)

Pretty sure schefter reported a couple months ago that the chiefs wanted to keep jones.

RealSNR 04-03-2020 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 14884257)
40 million dollar contract

5 mill a year for 8 years.

Hell yeah Veach is a genius!!!!!!!

DTVietnam 04-03-2020 06:30 AM

We might be able to run it back if The Landlord and Reek can find a way to overcome their offseason differences

Rasputin 04-03-2020 06:31 AM

Brett Veach is going be legendary GM of all time.

He is working on getting us out of cap hell that John Dorsey put us in and he has revamped this defense to go along with this offense so it's balanced and our special teams contributes and this GM is young and makes bold decisive moves. Also he doesn't put himself out there like look at me he stays in the shadows and lets everyone else take the credit.

He deserves his place in the CROH when it is time for him to retire and that should be many years from now.

Dunerdr 04-03-2020 06:53 AM

This is what theyve said the whole time. Actions sort of say otherwise. What else are they gonna say as long as hes still on the roster?

Mecca 04-03-2020 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rasputin (Post 14884268)
Brett Veach is going be legendary GM of all time.

He is working on getting us out of cap hell that John Dorsey put us in and he has revamped this defense to go along with this offense so it's balanced and our special teams contributes and this GM is young and makes bold decisive moves. Also he doesn't put himself out there like look at me he stays in the shadows and lets everyone else take the credit.

He deserves his place in the CROH when it is time for him to retire and that should be many years from now.

The Chiefs were never really in cap hell dude.

seaofred 04-03-2020 07:01 AM

Schefter did a #AskAdamSchefter thing on twitter and one of the questions was about Jones. That is where the guy in the OP got his info.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Q: What are the chiefs planning on doing with Chris Jones? <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AskAdamSchefter?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#AskAdamSchefter</a><br>- <a href="https://twitter.com/Elliott_Duncan?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Elliott_Duncan</a><br><br>A: <a href="https://t.co/JpzgzTiaUs">pic.twitter.com/JpzgzTiaUs</a></p>&mdash; The Boardroom (@boardroom) <a href="https://twitter.com/boardroom/status/1245815474249662474?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 2, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

smithandrew051 04-03-2020 07:08 AM

I’d love to keep him.

I can also be on board with trading him. My fear with trading him is that we’ll have to take lesser compensation at this point. If someone wanted to make a strong offer, wouldn’t they have already done so? If you liked Chris Jones enough to give up a first, why would you risk him signing a long term deal with the Chiefs?

Chris Meck 04-03-2020 07:12 AM

yeah, I still don't see how it's possible.

Mecca 04-03-2020 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 14884318)
yeah, I still don't see how it's possible.

To get a long term deal?

It would actually lower his cap number this year since you can fanagle the numbers around.

wazu 04-03-2020 07:14 AM

Whatever Veach decides I'm good with.

Rasputin 04-03-2020 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 14884298)
The Chiefs were never really in cap hell dude.

If you say so but working with $177 if that's accurate isn't very good either bro.

Mecca 04-03-2020 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rasputin (Post 14884324)
If you say so but working with $177 if that's accurate isn't very good either bro.

That is mainly because of the deals Veach signed.....

TomBarndtsTwin 04-03-2020 07:23 AM

So, basically, absolutely zero new info.

Just the same thing we already knew.

Rasputin 04-03-2020 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 14884325)
That is mainly because of the deals Veach signed.....

That won us a Super Bowl so I'm giving Veach credit where credit is do.

We are also keeping much of the team intact for another glorious run to the Super Bowl so we got that going for us thanks in part by Brett Veach. Am I wrong? You can continue to pointlessly point out anything you want but still Veach is making us Super Bowl Champions and for that I am grateful and Dorsey was fired for a reason or two so I'm going assume and no ****s given if I'm wrong that partly was because of deals he made that were hurting our cap space and Clark Hunt felt the need to fire him in place for Brett Veach and it's paid off.

Chris Meck 04-03-2020 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 14884319)
To get a long term deal?

It would actually lower his cap number this year since you can fanagle the numbers around.

yeah, but the bill comes due regardless. If the cap hit is less this year, it'll be more next year, and the year after that.

And in the next year or so we're going to have Mahomes' deal on the table.

I don't see how you can pay 1/2 of your front 4 $45 million per.

Dante84 04-03-2020 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seaofred (Post 14884300)
Schefter did a #AskAdamSchefter thing on twitter and one of the questions was about Jones. That is where the guy in the OP got his info.

This. It sounded like Schefter was speculating, not reporting a new lead. womp womp.

Wisconsin_Chief 04-03-2020 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 14884321)
Whatever Veach decides I'm good with.

This is pretty much all that needs to be said.

For the first time in 25 years, I'm not the least bit worried about what the Chiefs do in the off-season.

We have the best QB on the planet, one of the best head coaches in NFL history, a 2 time Super Bowl winning defensive coordinator who completely changed the culture in one single year, & Clark and Mathieu to lead that unit on the field. Not to mention one of the best young GM's in football.

No matter what happens with Chris Jones, the Chiefs will win the AFC West next year and be right in the mix to win another Super Bowl title. It is such a great feeling to know that we don't have to stress over every single move they make anymore.

Red Dawg 04-03-2020 08:01 AM

I don't see how this can happen and not screw our cap totally up. The only way is if Chris came down on his demands. He was offered 100 for 6 and declined last year. 810 reported that.

TomBarndtsTwin 04-03-2020 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief (Post 14884364)

For the first time in 25 years, I'm not the least bit worried about what the Chiefs do in the off-season.

We have the best QB on the planet, one of the best head coaches in NFL history, a 2 time Super Bowl winning defensive coordinator who completely changed the culture in one single year, & Clark and Mathieu to lead that unit on the field. Not to mention one of the best young GM's in football.

No matter what happens with Chris Jones, the Chiefs will win the AFC West next year and be right in the mix to win another Super Bowl title. It is such a great feeling to know that we don't have to stress over every single move they make anymore.

:clap: Well said.

Good post, noob.

HemiEd 04-03-2020 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin (Post 14884329)
So, basically, absolutely zero new info.

Just the same thing we already knew.

Yeah, water is still wet

BigRedChief 04-03-2020 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 14884319)
To get a long term deal?

Maybe. Eventually Mahomes $40 million contract needs to be paid and we are going to lose essential players. Thats our life as fans going forward. But.............we have Patrick ****ing Mahomes. Life is good! :thumb:

BigRedChief 04-03-2020 08:24 AM

Quote:

Agreed. Solid n00b post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin (Post 14884385)
:clap: Well said.

Good post, noob.

ThyKingdomCome15 04-03-2020 08:37 AM

Clearly KC is the place to be. This is special.

The Franchise 04-03-2020 08:53 AM

Has he even signed his franchise tag yet?

The Franchise 04-03-2020 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 14884374)
I don't see how this can happen and not screw our cap totally up. The only way is if Chris came down on his demands. He was offered 100 for 6 and declined last year. 810 reported that.

Funny that 810 is the only one that’s reported that.

TribalElder 04-03-2020 09:26 AM

Does anyone know what the cutoff date is for coming to an agreement with a tagged player? Seems like that is a thing, that you have to make a deal by a certain date or it has to wait until after the season.

I could definitely be wrong about that but seems like I heard that at one point.

The Franchise 04-03-2020 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 14884572)
Does anyone know what the cutoff date is for coming to an agreement with a tagged player? Seems like that is a thing, that you have to make a deal by a certain date or it has to wait until after the season.

I could definitely be wrong about that but seems like I heard that at one point.

July 15th

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04-03-2020 09:30 AM

I think he hasn’t signed it yet because he’s hoping a long term deal can be reached. Also rumors are Chiefs May be bringing Breeland back as well. Every move Veach has made this offseason is a 1 year deal

Dunerdr 04-03-2020 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 14884587)
I think he hasn’t signed it yet because he’s hoping a long term deal can be reached. Also rumors are Chiefs May be bringing Breeland back as well. Every move Veach has made this offseason is a 1 year deal

wheres the rumor coming from? just fans speculating or an actual source talking about it?

TribalElder 04-03-2020 09:53 AM

Quote:

I wondered if they were working to free up money to get Breeland back

Shields68 04-03-2020 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 14884632)
I wondered if they were working to free up money to get Breeland back

My understanding is that it is not enough. To bring Breeland back, most likely have to sign and trade Jones. Breeland is probably looking at 10+, so 5 in cap space ...

Dunerdr 04-03-2020 10:00 AM

it looks like sammy got us just enough to sign the draft class if im not mistaken.

tyecopeland 04-03-2020 10:08 AM

Quote:

Signing it doesnt change anything as far as working on a long term deal. They'd still have until July to finalize a deal regardless of if hes signed his franchise tag or not. I think there is some implication with possible trades that he has to be signed for a trade to actually happen though.

OKchiefs 04-03-2020 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shields68 (Post 14884643)
My understanding is that it is not enough. To bring Breeland back, most likely have to sign and trade Jones. Breeland is probably looking at 10+, so 5 in cap space ...

If Breeland was going to get 10+ he would have signed somewhere by now. I think it's pretty clear the market for him isn't what he thought it was. There are still quite a few other veteran corners out there that are muddying the market and keeping the value down. I'll be shocked if he gets close to $10 million.

OKchiefs 04-03-2020 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 14884654)
it looks like sammy got us just enough to sign the draft class if im not mistaken.

True, which would lead you to believe more moves have to be coming. We have to have room to add a veteran corner and some other veterans here or there to fill out the roster.

IowaHawkeyeChief 04-03-2020 10:26 AM

Quote:

It's always a good post for a NOOB when antifreeze and ingestion is not mentioned.;)

rabblerouser 04-03-2020 10:28 AM

Get it done, Veeeeeeeeeotch!

Shields68 04-03-2020 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKchiefs (Post 14884704)
If Breeland was going to get 10+ he would have signed somewhere by now. I think it's pretty clear the market for him isn't what he thought it was. There are still quite a few other veteran corners out there that are muddying the market and keeping the value down. I'll be shocked if he gets close to $10 million.

Maybe. But the money we just freed up is probably headed to the draft class. So he is going to have to do something else to free up any money for Breeland. Would think he would want something long term at a minimum averaging 7-8. That and whatever we do with Jones we have to keep his cap number for this year at the franchise tag number.

Be very impressed if able to bring back both Jones and Breeland.

tyecopeland 04-03-2020 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 14884654)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shields68 (Post 14884751)
Maybe. But the money we just freed up is probably headed to the draft class. So he is going to have to do something else to free up any money for Breeland. Would think he would want something long term at a minimum averaging 7-8. That and whatever we do with Jones we have to keep his cap number for this year at the franchise tag number.

Be very impressed if able to bring back both Jones and Breeland.

According to spotrac and overthecap we are still up against the cap. With somewhere around 3-4 mil in space but not counting robinson or sherman.

RINGLEADER 04-03-2020 11:23 AM

Chiefs could have probably $40 million in cap space by:

Restructure (salary into signing bonus) Clark and Mathieu
Cut LDT after June 1
Extend Chris Jones and Travis Kelce (though both players may not want that)

jjchieffan 04-03-2020 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shields68 (Post 14884643)

It's enough if they give him more than a one year deal. Give him 3 years for $25 million. Give him a $9 million signing bonus and league minimum this season. Cap hit would be around $4 million.

OKchiefs 04-03-2020 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 14884904)
Chiefs could have probably $40 million in cap space by:

Restructure (salary into signing bonus) Clark and Mathieu
Cut LDT after June 1
Extend Chris Jones and Travis Kelce (though both players may not want that)

As much as I'd be fine with cutting LDT, could we really replace him with anyone better this year?

Mecca 04-03-2020 12:36 PM

Breeland isn't getting 10 a year, Chris Harris barely got that.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04-03-2020 12:42 PM

Kelce will not sign an extension until Kittle does just an FYI

Megatron96 04-03-2020 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKchiefs (Post 14885098)
As much as I'd be fine with cutting LDT, could we really replace him with anyone better this year?

This. I'm doubtful that there's an upgrade replacement for LDT out there this season. And Andy's blocking schemes can be pretty complex; is there a OG out there that can pick up his schemes that quickly, especially if there's no OTAs/abbreviated TC this season?

As for LDT himself, I don't think we can really judge his abilities on his performance for most of last season. It was his first season back from breaking his leg; it was always going to take most of of or all the season for him to get back to his pre-injury form. It'd be interesting to see how he performed in the playoffs vs. the first 8 weeks of the season to see how he trended. I'm betting he was significantly better in the playoffs.

Which could mean that he could be solid in the upcoming season as his confidence in his leg has grown.

Dunerdr 04-03-2020 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 14885122)
This. I'm doubtful that there's an upgrade replacement for LDT out there this season. And Andy's blocking schemes can be pretty complex; is there a OG out there that can pick up his schemes that quickly, especially if there's no OTAs/abbreviated TC this season?

As for LDT himself, I don't think we can really judge his abilities on his performance for most of last season. It was his first season back from breaking his leg; it was always going to take most of of or all the season for him to get back to his pre-injury form. It'd be interesting to see how he performed in the playoffs vs. the first 8 weeks of the season to see how he trended. I'm betting he was significantly better in the playoffs.

Which could mean that he could be solid in the upcoming season as his confidence in his leg has grown.

I think they like LDT. Another year healthy, hope Rankin can come back healthy. iIf you can upgrade center, LDT is now your worst linemen. and thats a pretty damn nice place to be.

PurpleRiders51 04-03-2020 12:57 PM

https://media2.giphy.com/media/dYZuq...IxJ/source.gif

BossChief 04-03-2020 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14884407)
Maybe. Eventually Mahomes $40 million contract needs to be paid and we are going to lose essential players. Thats our life as fans going forward. But.............we have Patrick ****ing Mahomes. Life is good! :thumb:

By that time we will be replacing guys like Kelce, Fisher, Schwartz and others with younger, cheaper options.

Mecca 04-03-2020 01:00 PM

I think people are kinda missing that we're 2-3 years away from having to use high picks on OT's.

BossChief 04-03-2020 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 14885141)
I think people are kinda missing that we're 2-3 years away from having to use high picks on OT's.

We’re also 2-3 years away from Mahomes having a really big cap hit.

Dunerdr 04-03-2020 01:16 PM

Quote:

And we arent really in "dire" need of IOL either. It would be a very nice upgrade, but we basically won the superbowl with what we have except we lost wis. We will get Rankin back at some point and i expect him to start at LG.

OKchiefs 04-03-2020 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 14885191)
And we arent really in "dire" need of IOL either. It would be a very nice upgrade, but we basically won the superbowl with what we have except we lost wis. We will get Rankin back at some point and i expect him to start at LG.

Just because that exact formula worked last year that doesn't mean it will work again. What happens when interior pressure gets Mahomes injured again, except this time it's for more than 2 games? Or what happens when Mahomes has an off game, and the interior OL is getting their shit pushed in as always so we're not able to lean on the run game?

Mecca 04-03-2020 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKchiefs (Post 14885218)
Just because that exact formula worked last year that doesn't mean it will work again. What happens when interior pressure gets Mahomes injured again, except this time it's for more than 2 games? Or what happens when Mahomes has an off game, and the interior OL is getting their shit pushed in as always so we're not able to lean on the run game?

You can't have elite players everywhere, the biggest hole on the team is coverage LB. it's why every damn team we play throws to their backs and TE's over and over.

Coogs 04-03-2020 01:34 PM

Quote:

In 31 games, Mahomes has proven his off game is usually good enough to win. Case in point would be the last game we saw.

Dunerdr 04-03-2020 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 14885221)
You can't have elite players everywhere, the biggest hole on the team is coverage LB. it's why every damn team we play throws to their backs and TE's over and over.

This. Worst case Rankin and Wis are a wash imo. Rankin came in and did work for a guy who had only been in the system a few weeks. Wis was a street mid season free agent.

And they got their S pushed in in the super bowl, but so did green bay and everyone else who played san fran in the playoffs. I'm not taking a first second or probably even third round center/guard unless hes a truly elite prospect. Like running back the value just isnt there. In fact im personally 5x more likely to go running back before guard, or center. The demand just isnt there to take them high.

Halfcan 04-03-2020 01:46 PM

Quote:

:doh!:

FAX 04-03-2020 02:15 PM

C'mon Veachy ...

Get this done.

Everybody!! Send Jones a tweet and tell him to make a deal. And, if necessary, to fire his agent.

FAX

OKchiefs 04-03-2020 02:15 PM

Quote:

Mitchell Schwartz and Eric Fisher will both be free agents in 2 years. I could see us re-signing one but not both. So if we wait 2 years, are we relying on a rookie to man one of the tackle positions?

YayMike 04-03-2020 02:17 PM

Quote:

Absolutely!

Halfcan 04-03-2020 02:21 PM

I hope Jones retires a Chief. He is on a HOF trajectory.

TRR 04-03-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Wouldn’t it be nice for 3rd rounder Dorian O’Daniel to live up to his potential this season? I was high on him coming out of the draft. I watched Ben Niemann’s entire career at Iowa, and never would have dreamed he’d see an NFL field more than O’Daniel.

OKchiefs 04-03-2020 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRR (Post 14885444)
Wouldn’t it be nice for 3rd rounder Dorian O’Daniel to live up to his potential this season? I was high on him coming out of the draft. I watched Ben Niemann’s entire career at Iowa, and never would have dreamed he’d see an NFL field more than O’Daniel.

That would be nice. It would have been nice to have seen him last season as a coverage backer on 3rd down, but alas that never happened. If he couldn't even get on the field towards the end of last year I don't have much faith that he can finally put it together this year, but I hope I'm wrong. It would be interesting to know what specifically his problems have been.

ChiefRocka 04-03-2020 02:44 PM

Ain't no advertising dollars for Mack with Trubisky.
Now Christopher Jones and Mahomes = $$$

Chris Meck 04-03-2020 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 14885126)
I think they like LDT. Another year healthy, hope Rankin can come back healthy. iIf you can upgrade center, LDT is now your worst linemen. and thats a pretty damn nice place to be.

Rankin was a small improvement over the complete dumpster-fire that Wylie is.

That's not nearly good enough.

We have ONE real unicorn, and that's Patrick ****in' Mahomes.

We must do a better job of protecting him.

Nothing else is as important. Not ****ing linebackers covering RB's, nobody can score fast enough to keep up with us that way as long as that's all they've got.

We need to improve that interior line. Rankin is not a wash with Wisniewski, that's completely stupid. Wylie is complete ass, and Reiter is a back-up at best. LDT wasn't looking great, but perhaps it's issues from the injury.

We need at least two upgrades from guard to guard.

And we need a blue-chip corner. And we need a cover backer. It'd be nice if O'Daniel would develop.

But don't you dare put your SB aspirations on Martinis ****in' Rankin being good enough.

Halfcan 04-03-2020 09:46 PM

Anyway...back to Jones.

I want this guy in Red for his career.

Dante84 04-03-2020 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 14886156)
Super Bowl Champion Rankin was a small improvement over the complete dumpster-fire that Super Bowl Champion Wylie is.

That's not nearly good enough.

We have ONE real unicorn, and that's Patrick ****in' Mahomes.

We must do a better job of protecting him.

Nothing else is as important. Not ****ing linebackers covering RB's, nobody can score fast enough to keep up with us that way as long as that's all they've got.

We need to improve that interior line. Rankin is not a wash with Super Bowl Champion Wisniewski, that's completely stupid. Wylie is complete ass, and Reiter is a back-up at best. Super Bowl Champion LDT wasn't looking great, but perhaps it's issues from the injury.

We need at least two upgrades from guard to guard.

And we need a blue-chip corner. And we need a cover backer. It'd be nice if Super Bowl Champion O'Daniel would develop.

But don't you dare put your SB aspirations on Martinis ****in' Rankin being good enough.

FYP

JakeF 04-03-2020 10:33 PM

Andy likes to keep the same players for as long as possible. Not surprised.

eDave 04-03-2020 10:33 PM

Did we sign this Pro Bowler yet?

RealSNR 04-03-2020 10:43 PM

Can't wait to see what Super Bowl Champion Gehrig Dieter can do for us this year!

Rausch 04-03-2020 10:45 PM

Quote:

We’re beyond the point of needing to. The doc’s play slipped this year and our c and otherG are ass. Pat’s mobility makes them look respectable.

When his ankle was hurt he got killed back there...

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04-03-2020 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 14886359)
We’re beyond the point of needing to. The doc’s play slipped this year and our c and otherG are ass. Pat’s mobility makes them look respectable.

Yea cuz Erving sucks ass

Baby Lee 04-03-2020 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTVietnam (Post 14884249)

Every time I see this gif, I get this mental image.

<iframe width="637" height="358" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jqQwkRz87QA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dlphg9 04-03-2020 11:13 PM

Quote:

Im wondering if having a shit brick playing center is the reason why LDT didn't look very good. Having a bad center can make the whole interior line look bad. The C is responsible for shifts and other things. Draft a good C and the whole line will improve.

smithandrew051 04-03-2020 11:18 PM

Quote:

Did he get killed back there?

Chiefs allowed one of the lowest sack rates in the league and the 7th fewest QB hits.

Our running game struggles mightily because of our interior OL. I’ll never argue that.

Our pass protection isn’t as bad as some believe though. Even with Cam Erving starting games at LT and Mahomes being hobbled for most of the season, we still ranked among the best in sacks allowed and QB hits allowed.

If you think our pass protection is THAT bad, I’d love to see a stat that backs that up. Granted, Mahomes was hurried and hit a lot in the Super Bowl, but the 49ers DL is not the norm.

smithandrew051 04-03-2020 11:25 PM

Just to clarify my point.

I don’t think we have a great OL. I just don’t think the pass protection specifically is as bad as some believe.

I think we may be biased as Chiefs fans:

1. Every hit on Mahomes seems worse to us, because we realize exactly how important he is.
2. We were spoiled in the early 2000’s with an unrealistic idea of what an OL should look like.

If there is a stat out there that confirms that our pass protection sucks, I’d absolutely accept that. I just haven’t seen a stat that says that.

Also, the Mahomes mobility argument doesn’t really convince me (at least not after this year). He practically played on one leg for most of the year and we still ended up with some of the best pass protection numbers in the league.