ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Christopher Nolan's 'Tenet' (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=323063)

JD10367 09-08-2020 01:43 PM

Slightly less confusing than I expected, slightly less muffled audio than I expected, but Nolan still deserves a punch in the balls.

BigBeauford 09-08-2020 03:04 PM

Someone else put this better than I could: Denis Villeneuve does the things I used to expect from a Nolan movie, but better. After his last two turds, Nolan movies are no longer must see for me.

Frazod 09-08-2020 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 15153959)
Slightly less confusing than I expected, slightly less muffled audio than I expected, but Nolan still deserves a punch in the balls.

I've just learned to loathe Nolan. I swore after suffering through the odious Interstellar that I'd never watch another one of his movies. Then Dunkirk came out, and I figured what the hell, it's a war movie based on actual events, should be straightforward. But no, he had to time jump the events instead of telling a coherent, linear story. I know his fanboys think it's all brilliant and visionary. Whatever. I think it's just annoying.

He's made some great movies that I really liked, but at some point he became less concerned about making great movies and more concerned about the need to continually outsmart himself by making each movie more ridiculously and needlessly convoluted than the last. And now he's running shit backwards with muffled dialogue? Yeah, **** that.

comochiefsfan 09-08-2020 03:18 PM

Other than The Dark Knight, The Prestige is Nolan’s best film. By far imo.

listopencil 09-08-2020 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15154143)
I've just learned to loathe Nolan. I swore after suffering through the odious Interstellar that I'd never watch another one of his movies. Then Dunkirk came out, and I figured what the hell, it's a war movie based on actual events, should be straightforward. But no, he had to time jump the events instead of telling a coherent, linear story. I know his fanboys think it's all brilliant and visionary. Whatever. I think it's just annoying.

He's made some great movies that I really liked, but at some point he became less concerned about making great movies and more concerned about the need to continually outsmart himself by making each movie more ridiculously and needlessly convoluted than the last. And now he's running shit backwards with muffled dialogue? Yeah, **** that.

I think he was skimming through old video in his editing room one day and saw something that he thought looked cool when he ran it backwards. Then he just thought, "That looks cool. I'm gonna make a movie about that." And that's all this is.

Frazod 09-08-2020 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comochiefsfan (Post 15154157)
Other than The Dark Knight, The Prestige is Nolan’s best film. By far imo.

I still think Batman Begins is the best of the trilogy. It's the only one I'll still occasionally watch. I personally think that Dark Knight was when he started to go off the rails.

Prestige is awesome. I really liked Insomnia, too.

BigBeauford 09-08-2020 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15154190)
I still think Batman Begins is the best of the trilogy. It's the only one I'll still occasionally watch. I personally think that Dark Knight was when he started to go off the rails.

Prestige is awesome. I really liked Insomnia, too.

If you haven't, do yourself a favor and watch "Memento". Its his best work IMO, and Guy Pierce is one of Hollywood's most underrated actors.

KC_Connection 09-08-2020 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 15153336)
Perhaps it depends what on the theater sound settings some. But not all? Your telling me you could make out every line during the sailboat scene? Or when soldiers were wearing masks?

Some of it was accent related? For instance John David Washington I could make out pretty well for most of his dialogue, but the British guys I had some problems with at times.

I saw this in a brand new theater with state of the art sound too. I will say that the bass was extremely heavy so it potentially can drown out dialogue.

Dane can probably explain some of the sound issues better.

I could hear everything fine for the most part, yeah. Didn't make understanding the movie for most of it any easier, though.

Frazod 09-08-2020 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 15154499)
If you haven't, do yourself a favor and watch "Memento". Its his best work IMO, and Guy Pierce is one of Hollywood's most underrated actors.

I've seen it. I liked it, just not as much as some of his other earlier stuff.

RN47 09-09-2020 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15154143)

Bringo.:thumb:

sully1983 09-09-2020 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 15150302)
I’d like to see Nolan go smaller scale again like Insomnia. A film I really liked.

He doesn’t need to go full scale audio/visual assault every time.

Kinda agree at this point. While I enjoyed TENET, it'd be refreshing & cool if he went smaller scale these days.

Would love for him to make a modern day British gangster film.

BigBeauford 09-09-2020 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sully1983 (Post 15155218)
Kinda agree at this point. While I enjoyed TENET, it'd be refreshing & cool if he went smaller scale these days.

He can't write worth a shit, so this would probably suck. The best British gangster flicks are brilliantly written.

Deberg_1990 09-09-2020 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sully1983 (Post 15155218)

Its pretty obvious he desperately wants to make a Bond film.

except it would run in reverse or deal with time ****s in some manner.

JD10367 09-09-2020 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 15155275)
Its pretty obvious he desperately wants to make a Bond film.

except it would run in reverse or deal with time ****s in some manner.

Daniel Craig goes back in time in a Delorean to stop Libyan terrorists, and on the way he saves Buckbeak the Hippogriff. But he’s wearing a Bane mask for the whole film so you can’t hear a word.

Discuss Thrower 09-09-2020 04:32 PM

/r/FanTheories material here, but **** reddit so I'mma post it here.

Nolan has a meta narrative with his recent films, particularly Inception, Interstellar and Tenet, signaled by the fact that those films themselves are conducive to meta-textuality themselves as well as that they plausibly exist within the same universe.

Inception spoiler:
Spoiler!

Interstellar spoiler:
Spoiler!

Tenet spoiler:
Spoiler!

Spoiler!