ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Stranger Things (Netflix)... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=300312)

Baby Lee 07-05-2022 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois (Post 16357801)
I sometimes feel that the miniseries format often stretches scenes in a way we aren't comfortable viewing. We've been conditioned by the 90 minute movie format to experience things in a fast-forwarded fashion. Exposition and character development are rushed and perfunctory. When the story is told over 10 hours we are shown a lot more character development, but not always in a well written manner. Sometimes they just say the same thing they would have said in the short format, but repeat it 4 times to fill the time of a 10 hour format.

In short: I hear what you are saying Mr. Plow.

I don't think it's how short or long these types of scenes are, more how captivating and efficient and useful.

They could have used that same extended scene to say something passionate and novel about love, or whatever they wanted to convey, and if it drew you in, you wouldn't notice the time elapsed.

My personal bugaboo in the opposite direction, has anyone gone back recently and watched the opening minutes of Con-Air? It's almost like a comic book panel, one-shot pitch of the entire backstory for whomever Nic Cage's character was

Bam - out of jail
Bam - off to honkey tonk
Bam - girlfriend
Boom - endless love
Bash - bad guy
Bam - local ruffian
Zowee - In front of the judge
Wowee - Locked back up

Like 30 seconds elapsed. . . . I'm sure it was more like 5 minutes, but still you get the point.

Iowanian 07-05-2022 05:44 PM

This isn’t the kind of show I typically give a second thought, and hadn’t. My kids harassed me into trying it and I’m now about halfway through season 3. It’s different and I enjoy the 80s stuff because in theory they’d have been about my age during those years.

Bowser 07-05-2022 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 16358060)
This isn’t the kind of show I typically give a second thought, and hadn’t. My kids harassed me into trying it and I’m now about halfway through season 3. It’s different and I enjoy the 80s stuff because in theory they’d have been about my age during those years.

The set designers and the people in charge of the props have done an unbelievable job recreating the mid-80's. Definitely part of what drew me in to watching.

Dunerdr 07-06-2022 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 16357925)
Or Dustin can wake up when he's 11 and it was all a dream. LMAO

*Wakes up with no teeth on a D&D board*

Clyde Frog 07-06-2022 02:38 PM

Spoiler!
:rolleyes:

KCUnited 07-06-2022 05:59 PM

https://i.imgur.com/Ds7QPvk.jpg?1

KCUnited 07-06-2022 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 16357772)
I may be a bit tainted because Mike & Will are two of my least favorite characters. "Mike, remember you are the heart. YOU ARE THE HEART!"

Throwback 80s writing

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jRNJluKik2s" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr. Plow 07-06-2022 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 16359332)
Throwback 80s writing

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jRNJluKik2s" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Don't you dare bring the Goonies into this! :)

lawrenceRaider 07-07-2022 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clyde Frog (Post 16359056)
Spoiler!
:rolleyes:

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-conte...2/say-what.gif

Spoiler!

chiefzilla1501 07-08-2022 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 16357924)
It'd be epic if they all died, and discover there is an alternate world beyond the upside down that's a lot like heaven.

The downside up?

chiefzilla1501 07-08-2022 05:34 AM

I know people have predicted Jonathan die. And now it’s will which seems more plausible. But that seems pretty unfair to Joyce. She was the center of tragedy (or at least my the fear of it) for all of the first 3 seasons.

Clyde Frog 07-08-2022 09:56 AM

Stranger Things (Netflix)...

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 16359711)
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-conte...2/say-what.gif

Spoiler!

Disclaimer: “The Boys” newest ep spoiler in the response. Don’t want to ruin it for you if you didn’t already see it.

Spoiler!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baby Lee 07-08-2022 11:33 AM

<iframe width="820" height="410" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EukSKjfHXNs" title="Eddie Munson - It's My Year" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ChiefBlueCFC 07-08-2022 12:04 PM

Finished part two last night. I can finally come into this thread without fear of spoilers now haha

Spoiler!

rydogg58 07-08-2022 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 16357772)
I may be a bit tainted because Mike & Will are two of my least favorite characters. "Mike, remember you are the heart. YOU ARE THE HEART!"

Both of them are my least favorite as well. I guess it's because Will spent damn near all of season 1 as a blinking christmas tree light, and Mike is just a whiny little bitch. I care about them so little that I kept forgetting their names.

And when he told him that he was the "heart" of the team, I rolled my eyes and asked my wife why anyone would think that. It was just a stupid plot device that felt too forced and we were just supposed to believe it, just because.

Tribal Warfare 07-08-2022 03:56 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yXnk3n-qNrI" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rausch 07-08-2022 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rydogg58 (Post 16361669)
Both of them are my least favorite as well. I guess it's because Will spent damn near all of season 1 as a blinking christmas tree light, and Mike is just a whiny little bitch. I care about them so little that I kept forgetting their names.

I thought Will was a decent enough character seasons 1 and 2. This season it's like the only direction he got was "be brooding and gay." We get it. Why don't they pull that love story off like the Popular kid and the bean pole girl? Now that I think about it the stoner brother has about as much range as Keanu without the charm.

I thought the red head did a good job. I loved the new Metal D&D guy. Hopper was pretty good. I think the story was twice as good as seasons 2 and 3 but for some reason the execution wasn't. The dialogue was George Lucas bad for quite a bit but I enjoyed the new big bad and thought the actor did a great job. The tubby curly haired kid really pulled it off. He's a solid little actor as well.

Overall I think it's the best season since the first even if a few characters seemed to have little to do.

Baby Lee 07-08-2022 08:26 PM

https://i.imgur.com/ahyEbEC.jpeg

Valiant 07-09-2022 11:08 AM

Spoilers.

My main gripe. Eddie died needlessly. He wasn't saving anyone by staying or running.

And did the redhead coming back to life stop the gate from opening fully?

Rausch 07-09-2022 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 16362213)

And did the redhead coming back to life stop the gate from opening fully?

Spoiler!

Like the last few seasons everything is in a 1/2 assed state...

KCUnited 07-09-2022 01:02 PM

It definitely felt like the finale was overworked and self indulgent but still highly enjoyable.

My biggest gripe was the Vecna and Eleven interaction when he had her restrained. They nailed everything about Vecna. The perfect menacing character. Costume nailed and everything. Then you have him engaging in some long winded conversation. It was like a death metal state of the union address.

Minor gripe I know, it was a fun season to watch.

KCUnited 07-09-2022 01:20 PM

Vecna is the Skeletor I’ve always longed for

Rausch 07-09-2022 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 16362298)
It definitely felt like the finale was overworked and self indulgent but still highly enjoyable.

My biggest gripe was the Vecna and Eleven interaction when he had her restrained. They nailed everything about Vecna. The perfect menacing character. Costume nailed and everything. Then you have him engaging in some long winded conversation. It was like a death metal state of the union address.

Minor gripe I know, it was a fun season to watch.

Big plot holes and nonsense in this season yet overall was much more enjoyable than the last 2.

They seem to have forgotten that 11 could barely communicate when our heroes found her. Yet, years before that she's having long conversations with the villain. They have to tell the story somehow but part of me wishes they would have had those communications be mental or something to explain it.

RustShack 07-11-2022 09:05 PM

Spoiler!

EDIT- Added spoiler just in case, even though it’s probably been long enough and you shouldn’t be reading this thread if worried about spoilers.

RustShack 07-11-2022 09:07 PM

Another reason I went back to watch is because people were saying Will got a bloody nose at the end, but I’m pretty sure he didn’t. It was just a shadow.

listopencil 07-11-2022 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 16357330)
I feel like it makes more sense to kill Nancy.

Nancy is slowly starving herself to death so she should be gone soon anyway.

Rausch 07-12-2022 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 16364783)
Nancy is slowly starving herself to death so she should be gone soon anyway.

Her face is cute as a button but looking like you have cancer isn't hot unless you're a sadist...

Jamie 07-12-2022 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 16362213)
Spoilers.

My main gripe. Eddie died needlessly. He wasn't saving anyone by staying or running.

I guess you could argue he prevented the bats from killing the others while they were being held in the vines, though that does beg the question of why the vines didn't just choke them out in the first place.

ToxSocks 07-12-2022 04:53 PM

Finally reached Chapter 8. Hoping to finally wrap this up so i can participate in this thread. To this point i've surprisingly been able to hide from spoilers. Ive been binge watching all week, starting at season 3. Hope to wrap it up tonight.

ToxSocks 07-13-2022 09:30 AM

So Vecna is awesome. I love great monster design and he's a good one. Much better than the Hamburger Monster of season 3.

As far as Eddie's death goes, i like to think that he ran away from the trailer to lure the bats away from being able to enter through the portal. Had he fled through the portal the bats woulda chased him into the real world. That's what im going with at least. Otherwise, yeah, that death was pointless and stupid.

TomBarndtsTwin 07-13-2022 10:42 AM

Eddie HAD to die. He was a tragic character from the beginning. I mean, if he had lived, what kind of life would he have come back to in Hawkins? There would still be a manhunt for him since half the town (and now apparently the news media) blames him for opening some 'portal to hell'. I think the Duffer brothers did the best they could with killing him off in the upside down. And at least they gave him an epic guitar solo that will always be remembered before he died. So there's that.

Max being 'brought back to life' (if you wanna call it that) is kind of stupid. It trivializes her death and sacrifice. Now I guess if they're using that for the plot device of 'well, because she isn't totally forever dead' the portal between dimensions isn't totally forever open, then I guess I see it a little bit, but still think there's a better direction they could have gone with than that (IF that is even what they're doing).

Can't wait to see what they do with Season 5 . . . . .

ToxSocks 07-13-2022 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin (Post 16366454)
Eddie HAD to die. He was a tragic character from the beginning. I mean, if he had lived, what kind of life would he have come back to in Hawkins? There would still be a manhunt for him since half the town (and now apparently the news media) blames him for opening some 'portal to hell'. I think the Duffer brothers did the best they could with killing him off in the upside down. And at least they gave him an epic guitar solo that will always be remembered before he died. So there's that.

This was the obvious and only possible conclusion once they decided that the public found him responsible for the murders. They couldn't have him being a wanted murderer for the rest of his life.

listopencil 07-13-2022 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin (Post 16366454)

Max being 'brought back to life' (if you wanna call it that) is kind of stupid. It trivializes her death and sacrifice. Now I guess if they're using that for the plot device of 'well, because she isn't totally forever dead' the portal between dimensions isn't totally forever open, then I guess I see it a little bit, but still think there's a better direction they could have gone with than that (IF that is even what they're doing).

Can't wait to see what they do with Season 5 . . . . .

They'll have to rescue Max to invalidate the death to close the portal. With lots of little adolescent emo moments thrown in.

BlackOp 07-13-2022 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 16366531)
This was the obvious and only possible conclusion once they decided that the public found him responsible for the murders. They couldn't have him being a wanted murderer for the rest of his life.

Yeah...killing him off then the earthquake explained away any residual plot hangover for season 5...other than One is still kicking.

Shame...he was a really strong character addition but what were they going do...have him hiding for another entire season.

Mr. Plow 07-14-2022 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 16366634)
They'll have to rescue Max to invalidate the death to close the portal. With lots of little adolescent emo moments thrown in.

You're the heart! YOU'RE the heart! YOU'RE THE heart! YOU'RE THE HEART!!

Bowser 07-14-2022 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 16367782)

*Metallica power-riffing intensifies*

listopencil 07-14-2022 07:14 PM

Quote:

I was watching on my PC so it was nice to be able to skip those scenes with a few clicks. Really cut down on the 3 hour 45 minute run time of the finale.

chiefzilla1501 07-15-2022 07:31 AM

Quote:

There is a lot of talk on twitter from DUngeons and dragons enthusiasts that say vecna is not the main boss. There is a five headed dragon. Will draws a picture of this dragon which has mike holding a shield with a heart and a sword. Foreshadowing.

Bowser 07-15-2022 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 16369037)
There is a lot of talk on twitter from DUngeons and dragons enthusiasts that say vecna is not the main boss. There is a five headed dragon. Will draws a picture of this dragon which has mike holding a shield with a heart and a sword. Foreshadowing.

*fishpicker avatar-ing intensifies*

WhawhaWhat 07-21-2022 10:37 PM

I just finished Stranger Things. The Russia storyline was the biggest waste of time ever. It was a good season though better than 3 but I liked 2 the best. All of the seasons are pretty good though.

That episode with Max almost dying earlier in the season had me in the edge of my seat. So good. Hope she doesn't die in a future episode because I like her character.

markdis 07-24-2022 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 16377099)
I just finished Stranger Things. The Russia storyline was the biggest waste of time ever. It was a good season though better than 3 but I liked 2 the best. All of the seasons are pretty good though.

That episode with Max almost dying earlier in the season had me in the edge of my seat. So good. Hope she doesn't die in a future episode because I like her character.

Thanks for the spoilers STFU . Still looking forward to watch the last season.
Just reading here the article about smart iptv and thinking if i need one.
What is your opinion on iptvs? Which one is the best from your experience?

Mr. Plow 07-25-2022 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markdis (Post 16379704)
Thanks for the spoilers STFU . Still looking forward to watch the last season

Don't come into a thread about a show that's been out for a couple months until you've watched it if you don't want spoilers.

RustShack 07-26-2022 02:22 PM

Quote:

What the hell were you expecting us to talk about in this thread?

cabletech94 07-26-2022 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 16382367)
What the hell were you expecting us to talk about in this thread?

I think it was badass when Metallica showed up in the tour bus to help the kids out. Very well warranted!! Oh yeah, and the plot twist that Vecma is really Hoppers’ son……

……completely out of nowhere!!!

Sure-Oz 07-26-2022 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 16380393)
Don't come into a thread about a show that's been out for a couple months until you've watched it if you don't want spoilers.

This. I avoided the thread until after I watched it

notorious 07-26-2022 07:03 PM

Quote:

https://c.tenor.com/vJ88uI6epgcAAAAC/running-scared.gif

notorious 07-26-2022 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabletech94 (Post 16382591)
I think it was badass when Metallica showed up in the tour bus to help the kids out. Very well warranted!! Oh yeah, and the plot twist that Vecma is really Hoppers’ son……

……completely out of nowhere!!!

Who would have know the guitar chords from "One" were Vecma's weakness?

These writers are pure money.

Mr. Plow 07-27-2022 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 16382744)
This. I avoided the thread until after I watched it

I didn't watch any of this season until after the 2nd part came out. I stay the hell out of this thread because logically, there are going to be spoilers that I don't want to see. It's precisely why I'm staying out of the Better Call Saul thread.

WhawhaWhat 07-27-2022 04:46 PM

Quote:

You're welcome.

WhawhaWhat 07-27-2022 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 16383235)
I didn't watch any of this season until after the 2nd part came out. I stay the hell out of this thread because logically, there are going to be spoilers that I don't want to see. It's precisely why I'm staying out of the Better Call Saul thread.

I didn't watch season 2, 3 or 4 until after all of season 4 was out.

CoMoChief 07-31-2022 07:51 AM

I just started watching this so Im behind a little. Midway thru S3.

Show's starting to get a little repetitive and predictable.

I do like the police chief character though.

CoMoChief 07-31-2022 07:51 AM

I just started watching this so Im behind a little. Midway thru S3.

Rausch 07-31-2022 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 16389107)

Yup.

To me S3 was the low point. Season 4 is the best since the 1st season. IMO the best thing Netflix has ever made...

WhawhaWhat 08-04-2022 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 16389819)
Yup.

To me S3 was the low point. Season 4 is the best since the 1st season. IMO the best thing Netflix has ever made...

The entire Russia storyline in season 4 pissed me off to no end.

The fat lazy sheriff goes to Russia and somehow turns into Rambo. :rolleyes:

Simply Red 08-04-2022 10:27 PM

do you guys like the Demogorgon?

Simply Red 08-04-2022 10:28 PM

Do you guys like Funko pops?

Simply Red 08-04-2022 10:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
you like?

Simply Red 08-04-2022 10:33 PM

and they glow super bright - but don't have a powerful enough blacklight yet - arriving in 2 days from Amazon - yeah boyee! anyhow - super rare pops (to a degree a grail in the making)

Simply Red 08-04-2022 10:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and this...

Simply Red 08-04-2022 10:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
last one - but yeah - sick ass collectible!

lcarus 08-05-2022 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 16395753)
you like?

I have basically stopped collecting Funko Pops recently. I collected quite a lot of them from 2014-2020 and I just can't get more until I sell a bunch. Space is a factor. 99.9% of what they produce just doesn't appeal to me anymore. MCU, Star Wars, anime, and repeating the same characters over and over and over.

I do like those though.

The Franchise 08-05-2022 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 16395730)

Congrats on not paying attention.

unlurking 08-05-2022 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 16395949)
I have basically stopped collecting Funko Pops recently. I collected quite a lot of them from 2014-2020 and I just can't get more until I sell a bunch. Space is a factor. 99.9% of what they produce just doesn't appeal to me anymore. MCU, Star Wars, anime, and repeating the same characters over and over and over.

I do like those though.

Same. Only thing I still have left is a Deadpool.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-0kvv...=2&imbypass=on

lcarus 08-05-2022 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 16396268)
Same. Only thing I still have left is a Deadpool.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-0kvv...=2&imbypass=on

Lol they've made so many random Deadpools I lost count a long time ago. I do remember when those DC, Marvel, Star Wars, and Disney subscription boxes were fun though.

Bowser 08-05-2022 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 16395730)

This is a thing

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/8PfpcZfG36o/maxresdefault.jpg

Simply Red 08-05-2022 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 16396723)
Lol they've made so many random Deadpools I lost count a long time ago. I do remember when those DC, Marvel, Star Wars, and Disney subscription boxes were fun though.

Spider-Man is dropping in September - that one may actually be a collector corps box worth picking up..

Mr. Plow 08-10-2022 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 16383235)
It's precisely why I'm staying out of the Better Call Saul thread.

I'm through episode 7 of Better Call Saul and I'm trying to get through the season as quickly as possible after figuring out that my DVR recorded all of the episodes. Well, all but the 6th episode for some stupid reason; couldn't even watch it on demand on the AMC app. Every episode was there EXCEPT #6. I ended up paying for the damn thing. I'm fighting to stay out of that thread which is why I'm posting in this thread.

But now I'm going to stay out of this thread because I don't trust any of you. :p

Pasta Little Brioni 08-18-2022 06:49 AM

Master of Puppets....