ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football FedEx asks Redskins to change name (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=332194)

Deberg_1990 07-03-2020 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 15049807)
this statement is signed REDSKINS LMAO

they're not changing shit - this statement is a low key **** you

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EcApAhNW...jpg&name=large

They wouldn’t have even put this out if they had no intention of changing

Granted, their hand is being forced financially from Fedex, Nike, etc....

RealSNR 07-03-2020 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 15049815)
No. The Chiefs fan base is strong enough they don't care about this shit.

Cancel culture ain't coming here.

Dude, I don't want the Chiefs name to change, but the fans have very little power in deciding this shit.

Snyder and the fans thought they were in charge with Redskins. And then the money arrived at the party, and then they had nothing.

Hammock Parties 07-03-2020 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15049824)
Dude, I don't want the Chiefs name to change, but the fans have very little power in deciding this shit.

Snyder and the fans thought they were in charge with Redskins. And then the money to the party, and they had nothing.

DC is different. Period.

redfriday 07-03-2020 09:46 AM

Latest news from the Redskins.
https://babylonbee.com/news/redskins...n-better-in-dc

Shag 07-03-2020 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 15049817)
They wouldn’t have even put this out if they had no intention of changing

Granted, their hand is being forced financially from Fedex, Nike, etc....

I don't think that's true at all. They can't say nothing in this day and age - they have to give the appearance that they're taking it seriously. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends in the standard "We talked, they're cool with it, and we gave them a bunch of money."

ToxSocks 07-03-2020 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 15049812)
Braves, Indians, Chiefs—They’ll all be history quickly. There’s simply no consequence to getting rid of the names and imagery

Braves, Indians and Chiefs don't directly refer to someone's skin color, nor were they used as a slur in the 1800's-1900's to summarize a type of people.

It's a pretty damn important nuance.

It's very simple to me: Society wouldn't tolerate a "Blackskins" team. Most of us would agree it's in poor taste.

Society would go ape shit over a "Whiteskins" team.

Why is Redskins any different?

vonBobo 07-03-2020 09:56 AM

Texas Rangers: brutal racists, the klan of the border.

WhawhaWhat 07-03-2020 09:59 AM

Washington Sentinels please.

Rain Man 07-03-2020 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15049833)
Braves, Indians and Chiefs don't directly refer to someone's skin color, nor were they used as a slur in the 1800's-1900's to summarize a type of people.

It's a pretty damn important nuance.

It's very simple to me: Society wouldn't tolerate a "Blackskins" team. Most of us would agree it's in poor taste.

Society would go ape shit over a "Whiteskins" team.

Why is Redskins any different?

Yeah, the interesting part of this is that people on all sides become so entrenched that there's no reasonable discussion. I have misgivings about replacing names like Braves and Chiefs. I don't think they're inherently disparaging terms, and I view with skepticism the notion of "embracing diversity" by deleting public references to a culture. I think people view the Redskins name as the opening salvo of a larger war and they want to hold the line, but defending the name "Redskins" is a folly.

It would appear to me that the line of reasonableness falls somewhere between Redskins and Braves. Redskins is clearly over the line. Maybe Indians is as well, though I find it hard to view it as a racial thing when we've also got the Vikings and patriots that are the same concept. I think Braves is under the line because it's not about Indians, it's about warriors and it's clearly honorific. Braves is equivalent to Cowboys and Oilers and Packers.
It's not racially motivated, but rather is vocationally oriented. Chiefs is closer to the line than Braves, but still under it for the same reason. As others have noted, I think the issue lies with the tertiary activities like the chop and the horse and that sort of thing.

Others may have different opinions about where the line is, of course, but our challenge is that we don't know what the rule is for changing. Does it change if more than 50 percent are offended? Or do we change if one person out of our 300 million is offended?

Or are the only opinions that count those of the population being portrayed? I'd be fine with that as a decision rule, but if that's the case then I don't want to hear the opinions of the non-portrayed population. We put the question to our population of Native Americans and let them decide. And then we go to our Scandinavian population about Vikings and our tiger population about Bengals.

tk13 07-03-2020 10:34 AM

Stephen A. Smith says live on ESPN that a source tells him the name is going to be changed.

GloucesterChief 07-03-2020 10:35 AM

If they change the name then Synder will lose any respect he had among the Skins fans. They will be flying banners calling for him to sell the team. Defending the name is the only thing they praised him for and the only thing keeping from a full out fan revolt.

I am betting the fanbase doubles and triples down on the Indian iconography.

dj56dt58 07-03-2020 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 15049510)
This is gonna get real ugly. I mean real ugly and it could cascade across every league and every name someone is offended by.

I knew this was coming......

This is what happens when you allow things that will start a slippery slope

Kman34 07-03-2020 10:40 AM

Would the name “Allskins” be offensive?? You know they are coming for the Chiefs next.. Hopefully having the new face of the NFL keeps them at bay for awhile..

Chieftain 07-03-2020 10:40 AM

Renaming the team to Washington Generals would make the most sense but then I see there is a basketball team with the same name who exists only to play exhibition games against the Harlem Globetrotters.

Chieftain 07-03-2020 10:43 AM

I was talking to a friend of mine who is very knowledgeable about the history of the NFL and who is no liberal by any means. He said that the term Redskin was used back in the day as a slur to refer to Indians similar to how the use of the N word refers to Blacks.