ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Tesla Cybertruck (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=326896)

aturnis 04-15-2022 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 15814556)
Yeah, that's one Area where the Tesla would supposedly blow this Away. 500 miles is the claim for the cyber truck

Actually every metric other than looks and regular bed...

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

aturnis 04-15-2022 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 15814592)
Once they figure out range and fast charging the sky is the limit.

After seeing the Ford there's no way I'd get a Tesla. I actually use my truck to tow and work, not tool around town shopping at Target.

Which is why you should get the Tesla and not the Ford. The Ford range is incredibly limited, asking with payload and towing capacity. Tesla is designed to make those things plausible. F150 is designed to beat pavement princess or non hauling work truck.

aturnis 04-15-2022 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 15814667)
Electric Hummer EV blows them both away.

https://www.gmc.com/electric/hummer-ev

Hummer is a sitting duck at I've 9,000 pounds. TERRIBLY designed. Goes to show there's nothing to their ULTIUM Battery platform except a can that will accept a prismatic cell "placed like this OR like this".

GM is screwing the pooch. Just the battery weighs more than a Honda Civic.

Wouldn't buy any stock!

aturnis 04-15-2022 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 15814822)
How do these other elect vehicles go cross country? Tesla has the Supercharger Network that makes it possible but what are you supposed to do with other EVs?

Use terrible 3rd party chargers that are slow and don't work more than half the time! [emoji51]

aturnis 04-15-2022 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 15815168)
Did you have a .50 cal gun mounted on the back? Because I'd definitely add that as an option.

More fitting if the Cybertruck isn't it? Looks like the Halo Warthog and would more than fit in on any battlefield.

backinblack 04-15-2022 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 16248239)
They don't have a choice. It's 100% electric by 2030 or cease to exist. They are doing the right thing. Unfortunately range and cost will be big issues. Not to mention negative margins.

No automaker that is currently making ICE vehicles will be 100% electric by 2030, that’s foolishness.

aturnis 04-15-2022 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 15815184)
This Ford truck is actually something that could get me into a truck. I don’t need heavy towing but I do need carrying capacity for my woodworking hobby and other various household projects. So the range wouldn’t bother me and a major reason I haven’t gone truck is the gas usage so this could be just what gets me in a truck.

Same. Never owned a truck due to economics and conscience of pollution. Couldn't deal with the restrictions and price if the F150 Lightning though

aturnis 04-15-2022 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 15815753)

The difference in purchase price is far more than fuel mileage. And that part won’t change with an electric.

Yes it will. Cost to drive my Model 3 300 miles is less than $10, and that's with marked up electricity from a supercharger. Charging at home, which comes with 100% range every morning and so the gas station is even less. Maybe $9?

Even if the Cybertruck has a 200kWh battery pack, it should cost $24 for those 500+ miles.

aturnis 04-15-2022 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 16248207)
I could be wrong but I think Tesla is going to surprise people with a different design truck they will unveil just before launch that won't look like it was recycled from Robocop

Doubtful. They'll wait for you to change your mind like most did when Dodge Rams first changed their stilling drastically.

It won't take long for men to realize a Cybertruck beats an F150 and approaches F250 in every category, drives like a Porsche, has options you've never thought of, cheaper to own and looks like a damned military vehicle.

aturnis 04-15-2022 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backinblack (Post 16248268)
No automaker that is currently making ICE vehicles will be 100% electric by 2030, that’s foolishness.

Not at The scale they are currently. They've all been contracting in size since 2017 though, so that will accelerate eventually. If they can figure out how to build electric cars that won't bea nightmare to warranty(big if), they should be fine. Less unit volume, but if they are talented engineers, their margins should go up substantially.

Lzen 04-15-2022 04:52 PM

aturnis, did you just get a job as a tesla salesman?

backinblack 04-15-2022 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 16248281)
Not at The scale they are currently. They've all been contracting in size since 2017 though, so that will accelerate eventually. If they can figure out how to build electric cars that won't bea nightmare to warranty(big if), they should be fine. Less unit volume, but if they are talented engineers, their margins should go up substantially.

Most of the reason why electric cars won’t be dominant over ICE cars for more than a decade at the very least are out of the automakers control. Infrastructure to support a majority of electric cars for one.

I know people really want ICE cars dead, but it’s not as close as you are praying for.

aturnis 04-15-2022 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 16248294)
aturnis, did you just get a job as a tesla salesman?

Lol. No, but they do have me rock hard and rich! Just ready for the age of abundance.

aturnis 04-15-2022 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backinblack (Post 16248298)
Most of the reason why electric cars won’t be dominant over ICE cars for more than a decade at the very least are out of the automakers control. Infrastructure to support a majority of electric cars for one.

I know people really want ICE cars dead, but it’s not as close as you are praying for.

Infrastructure claims are oversold. 90% of charging will happen in garage. Literally the biggest hurdle is charging for apartment dwellers.

backinblack 04-15-2022 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 16248303)
Infrastructure claims are oversold. 90% of charging will happen in garage. Literally the biggest hurdle is charging for diamante dwellers.

and what happens when 300 million electric cars are simultaneously charging over night on our current electrical grid?

notorious 04-15-2022 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 16248254)
Which is why you should get the Tesla and not the Ford. The Ford range is incredibly limited, asking with payload and towing capacity. Tesla is designed to make those things plausible. F150 is designed to beat pavement princess or non hauling work truck.

That thing is not a work truck.

ToxSocks 04-15-2022 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 16248254)

Then maybe Tesla shoulda designed a truck that appeals to men who do blue collar work for a living.

srvy 04-15-2022 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 16248169)
This is wildly inaccurate. So much so that I question so the claims you make, including having them on your land. Seems motivated by a chosen narrative by a dishonest actor.

The only one spreading bullshit in this thread is you. You are flat out lying on contractors and the 2-hour radius that as phony as it gets. You sound like an around-town handyman.

Aturnip returns with bullshit.

notorious 04-15-2022 05:49 PM

I am the second most excited person in this thread about electric trucks, but Tesla better actually talk to someone that uses their truck for actual work when designing the final product.

Think crew cab on at least a 2500 frame, with a usable 6.5-8’ pickup or flatbed.

I’m intrigued by the low maintenance and longevity.

mr. tegu 04-15-2022 05:56 PM

Tesla Cybertruck

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 16248371)
I am the second most excited person in this thread about electric trucks, but Tesla better actually talk to someone that uses their truck for actual work when designing the final product.

Think crew cab on at least a 2500 frame, with a usable 6.5-8’ pickup or flatbed.

Why though? I’m fairly certain there are far more truck buyers that couldn’t care less about actual work performance in their truck than those that do care. An 8 ft bed especially is overkill unless they want to have bed length options. People are very used to small beds and they are very popular. Of course the flip side is that those guys that just buy a truck for looks or status or whatever may be hard to get off their preferred make.

Buehler445 04-15-2022 05:56 PM

Quote:

I need low cost of ownership. I’ll be in. But it has to be proven in the field. I’m no beta tester.

notorious 04-15-2022 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 16248389)
I need low cost of ownership. I’ll be in. But it has to be proven in the field. I’m no beta tester.

The current Tesla concept truck is for the dude that tools around the city in his 1500 High Country and loses his shit if the pickup bed liner gets scratched from hauling his wife’s IKEA purchases.

aturnis 04-15-2022 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backinblack (Post 16248311)
and what happens when 300 million electric cars are simultaneously charging over night on our current electrical grid?

Grid is already overbuilt. It has to be built for max demand everywhere but Texas apparently, lol.

Grid is built to supply your home with the rating of your panel. Your car will take only 30-40 amps and charges over a number of hours. You aren't charging 300 miles each night, most likely under 80 most nights.

That coupled with the decrease in demand from led light bulbs and other more efficient appliances over the years makes it really a moot point.

If there is any issue beyond this, it'll be more than offset by the massive amounts of battery storage about to hit the grid over the next decade.

Chief Pagan 04-15-2022 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backinblack (Post 16248311)

Wind farms generate a lot of power at night and if you are spending 8 or 12 hours recharging the vehicle overnight, the demand isn't that high and there isn't a lot of other demand at night.

Trying to fast super charge a lot cars during the day I could see being a bigger issue.

Chief Pagan 04-15-2022 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 16248398)
Grid is already overbuilt. It has to be built for max demand everywhere but Texas apparently, lol.

Grid is built to supply your home with the rating of your panel. Your car will take only 30-40 amps and charges over a number of hours. You aren't charging 300 miles each night, most likely under 80 most nights.

That coupled with the decrease in demand from led light bulbs and other more efficient appliances over the years makes it really a moot point.

If there is any issue beyond this, it'll be more than offset by the massive amounts of battery storage about to hit the grid over the next decade.

Uh, California's grid is not massively over built and how does everyone charge their cars on days that are also peak demand?

Although forest fires aside, it might be in better shape than Texas.

Chief Pagan 04-15-2022 06:12 PM

Yes, the grid could use industrial scale battery storage.

It could also use more long distance, super high capacity transmission lines.

Neither is especially easy to come by.

aturnis 04-15-2022 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 16248337)
The only one spreading bullshit in this thread is you. You are flat out lying on contractors and the 2-hour radius that as phony as it gets. You sound like an around-town handyman.

Aturnip returns with bullshit.

You're being an ass. Been in commercial construction for almost 20 years headline multi million dollar projects. Literally worked with thousands of companies and individuals. Depending on your geography, 98% of your work is probably inside of a 90 mile radius. Especially if you're based in a city which of course is where most work is done.

aturnis 04-15-2022 06:17 PM

Quote:

Have you not looked at the specs? It radically outperforms an F150. In many categories it's closer to a 250.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2019/1...ord-f-150.html

aturnis 04-15-2022 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 16248405)
Yes, the grid could use industrial scale battery storage.

It could also use more long distance, super high capacity transmission lines.

Neither is especially easy to come by.

Battery storage will not be an issue. Iron is cheap and plentiful. Large scale would be nice, but enough people will install them in their homes along with solar to create some buffer.

I don't think high capacity lines are a huge issue. Honestly, battery storage should create enough microgrids to keep production close to consumption.

Lzen 04-15-2022 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 16248411)
Battery storage will not be an issue. Iron is cheap and plentiful. Large scale would be nice, but enough people will install them in their homes along with solar to create some buffer.

I don't think high capacity lines are a huge issue. Honestly, battery storage should create enough microgrids to keep production close to consumption.

I like they idea of solar. As a matter of fact, I'm looking very seriously into getting my home on solar real soon.

Lzen 04-15-2022 06:31 PM

The thing about battery storage is that it is still quite expensive for homeowners. Plus, I looked into teslas batteries and they aren't even available for my area.

aturnis 04-15-2022 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 16248400)
Wind farms generate a lot of power at night and if you are spending 8 or 12 hours recharging the vehicle overnight, the demand isn't that high and there isn't a lot of other demand at night.

Trying to fast super charge a lot cars during the day I could see being a bigger issue.

This. Superchargers won't be the norm for charging. Long trips and convenience mostly.

Superchargers will eventually all have as much local production as is feasible(canopy solar, nearby field maybe) and high capacity storage themselves. It will help, but super high throughout chargers like Cali will have to draw from the grid. Cali already overproduces energy, they just need a place to store it to flatten the duck curve and deal with high demand charging locations.

They already have the highest density of EVs anywhere but maybe Norway. They should have more data than anyone to make it a smooth transition.

aturnis 04-15-2022 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 16248424)
The thing about battery storage is that it is still quite expensive for homeowners. Plus, I looked into teslas batteries and they aren't even available for my area.

The focus is now scale. All of their products are basically ordered years out. The problem up until now has been if you fulfill battery demand, you reduce the number of cars you can build.

They're must of the way through solving this by making the car structure itself tragically more efficient in weight with gig castings and structural battery. This should move 80% of vehicle demand to iron based cathode lion batteries. Iron is plentiful and this alleviates demand of nickel for large and performance models.

Gravimetric and volumetric energy density don't matter much to stationary storage, so iron will suffice here as well.

Looking forward, the only bottleneck Tesla has yet to solve is battery minerals. Govts should be opening regulations for domestic production and all signs point to Tesla getting into mining for themselves, so I expect them to accelerate that industry as well.

If it's not obvious to you yet, it should be glaring at some point between now and 2025.

aturnis 04-15-2022 06:49 PM

Costs for storage shouldn't really be a problem either. Only reason their costs are up so much currently is supply chain and high demand.

Lithiums gone through the roof, but that should incentives more production plus their own mining efforts. Capacity is increasing with 2 new factories brought online. Crappy they have to temper demand, but if the line gets too long, it'll leave a bad taste in customers mouths.

They should deliver 1.5M cars this year and grow 50% yoy for awhile. They are also in the process of ramping or building 4 separate high volume factories currently that are 100% Tesla owned and operated. So eventually they should be the world largest producer of batteries in addition to largest consumer.

srvy 04-15-2022 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 16248406)
You're being an ass. Been in commercial construction for almost 20 years headline multi million dollar projects. Literally worked with thousands of companies and individuals. Depending on your geography, 98% of your work is probably inside of a 90 mile radius. Especially if you're based in a city which of course is where most work is done.

I'll put my 40 years plus working on some of the biggest high profile projects in the KC Metro area. That doesn't even include state-federal projects including highways bridges prisons army and airforces bases. In the last 15 years in the energy field pipeline hydro and overland transmission of electric.

The construction industry travels and travels in cold environments where batteries lose near half their capacity. They have a lot to fix to be reliable in the field.

aturnis 04-15-2022 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 16248450)
I'll put my 40 years plus working on some of the biggest high profile projects in the KC Metro area. That doesn't even include state-federal projects including highways bridges prisons army and airforces bases. In the last 15 years in the energy field pipeline hydro and overland transmission of electric.

The construction industry travels and travels in cold environments where batteries lose near half their capacity. They have a lot to fix to be reliable in the field.

Got a lot of experience with electric cars do ya?

srvy 04-15-2022 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 16248451)
Got a lot of experience with electric cars do ya?

I don't but the people who run businesses in those fields that have studied the feasibility do not like what they see.

aturnis 04-15-2022 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 16248466)
I don't but the people who run businesses in those fields that have studied the feasibility do not like what they see.

They've done no studies, at least not with good cars or good data. I haven't seen many studies that don't use outdated data or flat wrong data. Even the govt uses old data and entirely the wrong numbers. Either they refuse to think, or it's important to them that this transition happens on their terms. I vote the latter.

srvy 04-15-2022 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 16248469)
They've done no studies, at least not with good cars or good data. I haven't seen many studies that don't use outdated data or flat wrong data. Even the govt uses old data and entirely the wrong numbers. Either they refuse to think, or it's important to them that this transition happens on their terms. I vote the latter.

:rolleyes: you're a waste of time.

aturnis 04-15-2022 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 16248473)
:rolleyes: you're a waste of time.

Not really. Govt still talks like transmission lines are going to melt. Still take the kWh contained on a gallon of gas multiplied by total gallons to determine kWhs needed for electric cars. It's completely dishonest.

aturnis 04-15-2022 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 16248476)
Not really. Govt still talks like transmission lines are going to melt. Still take the kWh contained on a gallon of gas multiplied by total gallons to determine kWhs needed for electric cars. It's completely dishonest.

Same as they did for solar/wind for years. Old data and ignore the declining trend in costs. Same as had been done for batteries.

notorious 04-15-2022 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 16248407)
Have you not looked at the specs? It radically outperforms an F150. In many categories it's closer to a 250.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2019/1...ord-f-150.html

How can you look at that Tesla and see “work”?

That is a weekend warrior delight. It’s only a concept car, so I’m not going to crap on it too much.

Look at my posts. I am pumped for an electric truck, and not the ford version in particular. I want a usable vehicle.

Chief Pagan 04-15-2022 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 16248411)

I don't think the country has the political will to build much in the way of high transmission lines. Between NIMBYism land owners and intense lobbying from interest groups, for example, eastern power companies that don't want competition from cheap great plains wind farms.

So batteries it will be.

Grid batteries don't have to be high tech/light weight, and costs will no doubt drop. It's not really a question of technology. It's more a question of whether the country can invest in its future.

The free market isn't really interested in forward thinking and solving these types of problems.

See Texas experiment in turning its electrical grid over to private sector and what happens when the temperature drops below freezing.

California's legislature being captured by PG&E didn't turn out any better.

I wish I had a bit of your optimism.

(Just what are you smoking? ;) )

Especially when the country is so politically divided and you get people acting out of spite just to 'own' the other side even when it's not even in their own self interest.

aturnis 04-15-2022 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 16248555)
I don't think the country has the political will to build much in the way of high transmission lines. Between NIMBYism land owners and intense lobbying from interest groups, for example, eastern power companies that don't want competition from cheap great plains wind farms.

So batteries it will be.

Grid batteries don't have to be high tech/light weight, and costs will no doubt drop. It's not really a question of technology. It's more a question of whether the country can invest in its future.

The free market isn't really interested in forward thinking and solving these types of problems.

See Texas experiment in turning its electrical grid over to private sector and what happens when the temperature drops below freezing.

California's legislature being captured by PG&E didn't turn out any better.

I wish I had a bit of your optimism.

(Just what are you smoking? ;) )

Especially when the country is so politically divided and you get people acting out of spite just to 'own' the other side even when it's not even in their own self interest.

Honestly, best if govt stays out of it. Economics should incent deployment. All we need is production at scale and materials. Scale production is in it's early stages. Best thing govt can do is incent clean battery mineral mining domestically. Emphasis on clean.

DaFace 04-20-2022 07:55 PM

This is just a concept car, but they'd sell a ton of these if they ever brought them to production. ROFL

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/q72dA533sCg" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

backinblack 04-20-2022 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 16254835)
This is just a concept car, but they'd sell a ton of these if they ever brought them to production. ROFL

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/q72dA533sCg" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You could do it yourself, Ford sells the electric motor used in that truck as a crate motor now. Though I don't how the hell you convert the motor to electric, hope you know a good shop.

Great Expectations 04-21-2022 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 16248394)
The current Tesla concept truck is for the dude that tools around the city in his 1500 High Country and loses his shit if the pickup bed liner gets scratched from hauling his wife’s IKEA purchases.

Sounds perfect for me, I’m glad I ordered one a few years ago. Hopefully I’ll have it in 12 months or so.

notorious 04-21-2022 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 16255192)
Sounds perfect for me, I’m glad I ordered one a few years ago. Hopefully I’ll have it in 12 months or so.

Nice. When it comes in please give us a review. I hope Tesla does a 3/4ton work version.

GeorgeZimZam 12-16-2023 05:55 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/br1ZN7QY/IMG-1122.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Bb3qNXKs/IMG-1124.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Y0NSw1Hh/IMG-1131.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/5N3t7qgr/IMG-1134.jpg

Pablo 12-16-2023 05:59 PM

I imagine some folks think that entire photoshoot looks absolutely badass.

I also imagine those folks eat cucumbers with their buttholes.

Pablo 12-16-2023 06:01 PM

That's gayer than two dudes sharing a banana split

Sassy Squatch 12-16-2023 06:01 PM

So are we pencilling this thing as a massive flop yet or are we still waiting for reasons?

Pablo 12-16-2023 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassy Squatch (Post 17282295)
So are we pencilling this thing as a massive flop yet or are we still waiting for reasons?

The main reason will be the LBGTQ+ demo doesn't have a high enough income to finance it

DaFace 12-16-2023 06:43 PM

It looks dirty even when clean, but I guess that's part of what they're going for.

DaFace 12-16-2023 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14612994)
Starts at $40k, though. That's impressive.

<div class="tenor-gif-embed" data-postid="7427834453665079625" data-share-method="host" data-aspect-ratio="1.40678" data-width="100%"><a href="https://tenor.com/view/maury-well-welp-funny-nod-gif-7427834453665079625">Maury Well GIF</a>from <a href="https://tenor.com/search/maury-gifs">Maury GIFs</a></div> <script type="text/javascript" async src="https://tenor.com/embed.js"></script>

Eleazar 12-16-2023 07:07 PM

The stainless looks pretty bad there, and I see what people are saying about how it appears that the doors' lines don't really align with the body panels.

And I guess I still don't understand why they would go to market with this.

Is it some sort of an attempt to prove they can sell anything that says Tesla on it? Why not make it look attractive in some way? Why bring a truck to market that apparently has little off-road capability?

The cars demanded to be taken seriously, why not make a truck that does as well?

vonBobo 12-16-2023 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleazar (Post 17282370)
The stainless looks pretty bad there, and I see what people are saying about how it appears that the doors' lines don't really align with the body panels.

And I guess I still don't understand why they would go to market with this.

Is it some sort of an attempt to prove they can sell anything that says Tesla on it? Why not make it look attractive in some way? Why bring a truck to market that apparently has little off-road capability?

The cars demanded to be taken seriously, why not make a truck that does as well?

Elbo wanted a vehicle that "looks like the future", his words. The vehicle needed regular truck functionality but he wanted it to represent a new industry and not just compete with the existing.

Honestly, this vehicle was never intended to be for regular truck buyers.
But a lot of truck owners don't need a truck for anything more than an ego boost so maybe the cyber truck makes a lot of sense.

UteChief 12-16-2023 10:51 PM

Who can sit in the second row? It looks like it has no headroom. Perhaps som Oompa Loompas will be happy.

ThyKingdomCome15 12-16-2023 11:16 PM

Looks like an 80's attempt to look futuristic. Quite hideous and tacky.

suzzer99 12-17-2023 02:37 AM

Saw one of these on the highway today. The reflection in the stainless steel wiggles all over the place. Not a clean line on the car.

BWillie 02-19-2024 12:39 PM

Gave up on Cybertruck. Tesla said unless younare on pre-order list its going to be 3 years.

They are letting me transfer my free supercharger from my Model S to a Model Y. Model Y is not that sexy but so much utility. Its big. Long range model still goes 0 to 60 in 4.4 seconds. 330 miles of range. And you get $7500 tax rebate.

After its all said and done after taxes will only cost around 48k.

philfree 02-19-2024 01:51 PM

I could swear that I saw one of these here in Springfield yesterday. Looked like it might have been a test model.

Pitt Gorilla 02-19-2024 03:25 PM

I welded it myself!

Eleazar 02-19-2024 03:46 PM

Does the rear seat have as little headroom as it appears to have?

suzzer99 02-19-2024 05:33 PM

https://jalopnik.com/why-tesla-cyber...-of-1851257091

Tesla Cybertrucks Are Rusting Despite Being Made Of Stainless Steel

Quote:

Owners say they are noticing orange stains on the stainless steel panels of their new Cybertrucks.

It seems the stainless steel panels of the Tesla Cybertruck are not really stain “less,” and are turning out to be no less susceptible to stains than stainless kitchen appliances, which easily develop grease and water stains. Some Tesla Cybertruck owners are reporting persistent orange stains on the exterior of their EVs, which could be early signs of rust and corrosion, according to Futurism.

Despite the recent release of these Tesla EVs — and the little road time they’ve been subjected to — Cybertrucks are already developing imperfections on their body panels, leading owners to debate what’s causing the early signs of rust on forums. From Futurism:

One Cybertruck Owners Club forum member says they started noticing small orange flecks appearing on his truck after driving it in the rain for just two days.

“Just picked up my Cybertruck today,” they wrote. “The advisor specifically mentioned the cybertrucks develop orange rust marks in the rain and that required the vehicle to be buffed out.”

The Cybertruck owner posted followup photos after washing the vehicle down with soap, and they didn’t inspire much confidence, showing body panels already pockmarked with small orange spots.

Another user noticed similar orange specks on his truck after driving it through rain in Los Angeles.

“They documented the corrosion, and told me they’ll give me a call next month when the tools have arrived and they can perform the service/repair,” the user wrote after taking their vehicle to their local service center. “The Cybertruck has 381 miles on it, and has spent much of the 11 days in my custody parked in front of my house.”

Debate raged in response to the threads, with some arguing that the discoloration could be due to carbon dust, stray filings, or other contaminants.

The stainless steel construction of the Cybertruck has proven to be a headache not only for Elon Musk and Tesla assembly lines, but for early adopters as well. Owners say the EVs are not actually stain proof, and even the Tesla Cybertruck manual confirms the steel panels are susceptible to such corrosive substances as grease, oil, tree resin, dead insects, etc., which should be washed off quickly to prevent corrosion.

The forum thread from the Cybertruck Owners Club even declares that rust spots and corrosion are “the norm,” which doesn’t inspire confidence in the long-term prospects of the boxy EV touted as bulletproof by Musk. Despite its name and what it implies, stainless steel is susceptible to staining and marring. It’s not exactly stain- and rust-proof, but is merely resistant to these, as the German tech experts at Notebook Check explain:

Refining steel does not automatically mean making it stainless. Depending on the proportion of chromium, titanium, nickel, nitrogen and other additives, this results in very different properties. These range from better formability and a maximum degree of hardness to permanent rust resistance, even against acids.

The choice of additives and the subsequent shaping of the components with a particular type of steel is, of course, always a question of cost. And Tesla may have made the wrong decision here with the Cybertruck.

Tesla’s cleaning recommendations for the Cybertruck also confirm the impression that the steel grade is one of the less resistant variants.

In particular, oil and acidic soiling, such as tar or bird droppings, should be cleaned immediately with an alcohol-based solvent. Immediately afterwards, rinsing with clear water or a pH-adjusted soap is recommended. This type of cleaning should be necessary after every longer ride.

Some Cybertruck owners say their fellow Cybertruckers are blowing things out of proportion, and one said it’s a good idea to not “...drive it in the rain, or get it wet.” Others expressed anger that Tesla’s options for protecting the steel panels cost thousands of dollars. The Cybertruck’s price upon its release was already more than originally advertised, so dishing out more money for a Tesla wrap is hardly ideal. Others are in favor of their Cybertrucks developing orange stains, saying that they’re looking forward to the patina the stainless steel may develop.
Lol "don't get it wet".

Sassy Squatch 02-19-2024 05:35 PM

LMAO Good ****ing grief, that last paragraph. Some folks will stan no matter what

Bowser 02-19-2024 05:37 PM

Looks like the SUV version of the SUX6000 from Robocop

BWillie 02-19-2024 05:38 PM

Always wondered how a steel panel with no paint or traditional clear coat is not going to rust.

Pablo 02-19-2024 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassy Squatch (Post 17410226)
LMAO Good ****ing grief, that last paragraph. Some folks will stan no matter what

Elon is a genious bro, you don't even understand bro

Zebedee DuBois 02-19-2024 05:47 PM

IMO the only reason to get one of those ugly trucks is for the perceived status.

Pitt Gorilla 02-19-2024 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois (Post 17410252)
IMO the only reason to get one of those ugly trucks is for the perceived status.

Have someone in my family who is always spending money in an effort to get people to look at/notice him. This is the ultimate "look at me!" purchase.

Tribal Warfare 02-19-2024 05:54 PM

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/A1B5EJ/tim...ams-A1B5EJ.jpg

Reminds me of the Van Damme's car in TimeCop

BWillie 02-19-2024 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 17410261)
Have someone in my family who is always spending money in an effort to get people to look at/notice him. This is the ultimate "look at me!" purchase.

Well yeah, that's a known and most common reason why people buy expensive things. Did you think someone buys a Gucci bag for its functionality?

Outside of the Cybertruck though thats not the main reason people are buying Teslas anymore. They are very affordable for what you get.

Pablo 02-19-2024 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 14615548)
I dunno. I work for a living and I don't see any reason it's not a superior work truck, especially from a fleet owners financial perspective.

Near limitless life on the body

All the utility of a 2500

Best driver safety assistance system in the world

GPS nav and search

Always on LTE connection likely to eventually go on crazy fast SpaceX satellite network

Incredibly well written software purpose written for specific tasks by mining loads of data for information

1/4 the fuel cost

Maintenance costs nearly gone entirely

With the tailgate down it'll handle 4x8 plywood laid flat with room to spare

Entire bed covered with t slot bolt channels and various other tie down points.

110v/220v outlets

Built in air compressor with utility ports

This is all standard and with almost no knowledge of the storage potential of the main cabin, frunk or rear bed rails.

If they solve full self driving, and laws change to suit, your employees can complete paperwork, schedule, answer email and texts, coordinate plans and orders/deliveries while traveling.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I wonder how this dude is enjoying his $40,000 2500?? Surely he has one already.

suzzer99 02-19-2024 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois (Post 17410252)

Status as a moron.

suzzer99 02-19-2024 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 17410262)
Reminds me of the Van Damme's car in TimeCop

Or the death probe in 6 Million Dollar Man.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...yNDM@._V1_.jpg

Chief Pagan 02-19-2024 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleazar (Post 17410076)
Does the rear seat have as little headroom as it appears to have?

I was wondering what makes this a 'pickup' and not a SUV?

Is lack of headroom in back the reason?

BigBeauford 02-19-2024 10:11 PM

I like a lot of what Elon Musk does, but this project seems like the result of not enough pushback from his team.

Eleazar 02-20-2024 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 17410535)
I was wondering what makes this a 'pickup' and not a SUV?

Is lack of headroom in back the reason?

https://electrek.co/wp-content/uploa...y=82&strip=all

Someone is also selling a $24k camper shell for it

https://i.insider.com/65451797b78891...jpeg&auto=webp

notorious 02-20-2024 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 17410267)
I wonder how this dude is enjoying his $40,000 2500?? Surely he has one already.

LMAO