ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Science Driverless cars could change everything (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285182)

Chief Pagan 08-21-2023 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckeyeTheDog (Post 17065976)
What am I going to do when the AI driven automatic car always drives through Popeyes and orders me a chicken sandwich?

Joking- but there is so many new ways to make money here- even starting with new free time and decisions to make when you’re in the car. And so so many ways for the government to tax this activity. Trust me, they will more than make up for there loss of revenue from traffic tickets, etc.

This is a concern.

Chief Pagan 08-21-2023 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 17066370)
With human-driven cars we have accidents and crashes that are caused by human error one way or another. With network driverless cars I can wreck all the cars at once

This is a nightmare.

Chief Pagan 08-21-2023 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katipan (Post 17066479)
In theory driverless cars would reduce the douchey accidents like tailgating.

When driverless cars drive 3 miles an hour on icy streets instead of 30 mph, commuters are going to scream and are going to go back to their own dangerously driven cars.

Chief Pagan 08-21-2023 12:54 PM

Actually, if I owned a fleet of driverless cars, I'm not sure I would even rent them out in snowy, icy conditions.

If somebody rear-ends your vehicle, the amount you get paid doesn't cover all the losses. Loss of use of vehicle, employee time to get vehicle repaired etc.

DaFace 08-21-2023 01:37 PM

Interesting bump. It seems like a lot of AI technologies (driverless cars, ChatGPT, etc.) are able to go from 0% awesome to 95% awesome pretty quickly, but that final 5% is super important yet difficult to achieve.

We've come a long way since this thread in terms of designing cars that can stay in their lanes and not hit anything in front of them, but things are still a little iffy in terms of being able to literally never have an active driver.

I still think we'll get there eventually, but it may still be a bit before we start removing steering wheels from cars.

HemiEd 08-21-2023 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 17066542)
Interesting bump. It seems like a lot of AI technologies (driverless cars, ChatGPT, etc.) are able to go from 0% awesome to 95% awesome pretty quickly, but that final 5% is super important yet difficult to achieve.

We've come a long way since this thread in terms of designing cars that can stay in their lanes and not hit anything in front of them, but things are still a little iffy in terms of being able to literally never have an active driver.

I still think we'll get there eventually, but it may still be a bit before we start removing steering wheels from cars.

Well said

Balto 08-21-2023 02:02 PM

Quote:

It really does seem like its 100% of cars need to be driverless or it will just always have issues.

Chief Pagan 08-21-2023 02:09 PM

Quote:

Well, driverless cars carrying passengers are an actual thing in SF without a human driver ready to take over.

:hmmm:

I guess you can argue they shouldn't be. Or it's not ready to be deployed by the millions.

I do think some of it will be legal and social. If the standard was just being demonstrably safer than humans it would be one thing, but the standard will be higher than that.

And than as the previously shown article pointed out, they still do occasionally have what might be loosely called common sense problems. Like the best way to navigate construction zones or getting out of the way of emergency vehicles in congested urban environments.

Otter 08-21-2023 02:28 PM

Just wait until I hack into that matrix and start playing GTA with RainMan on his way to the office.

DaFace 08-21-2023 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balto (Post 17066595)
It really does seem like its 100% of cars need to be driverless or it will just always have issues.

And we probably need to start designing roads with driverless in mind. Relying on visual cues gets...messy.

-King- 08-21-2023 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 17066464)
Instead of bumping this old thread, I actually considered starting a new one in D.C. ROFL

It's weird that some people think this is a political issue.

Hog's Gone Fishin 08-21-2023 02:53 PM

On a positive note, I would assume that not a single driverless car has received a DUI.

HemiEd 08-21-2023 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 17066597)
Well, driverless cars carrying passengers are an actual thing in SF without a human driver ready to take over.

:hmmm:

I guess you can argue they shouldn't be. Or it's not ready to be deployed by the millions.

I do think some of it will be legal and social. If the standard was just being demonstrably safer than humans it would be one thing, but the standard will be higher than that.

And than as the previously shown article pointed out, they still do occasionally have what might be loosely called common sense problems. Like the best way to navigate construction zones or getting out of the way of emergency vehicles in congested urban environments.

Did you read post 56 and the article about that very thing. It is current.

HemiEd 08-21-2023 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 17066655)
It's weird that some people think this is a political issue.

If you can't see how it could be, that is on you. LMAO

Chief Pagan 08-21-2023 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 17066642)
And we probably need to start designing roads with driverless in mind. Relying on visual cues gets...messy.

Well sure, if we had special roads that only had driverless cars and were specifically designed for driverless cars.

And bikes and pedestrians were either prohibited, or were at least required to carry transmitters...

That would make it an awful lot easier.

But I don't think it's viable to wait until for that to happen.

I've actually wondered if Japan or South Korea might not get driverless cars on a large scale before the US just because they have a more business friendly environment.