ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Hall of Classics (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   ****OFFICIAL Chiefs vs 49ers Super Bowl LIV Game Thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=328782)

Chiefspants 07-23-2020 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javabean (Post 15081565)
If you want to read an article critical of Saleh, here you go.

That was Simms main point about Saleh’s Cover 3 defense. When you have great personnel, you don’t have to be particularly creative with it. You roll it out and dare the offense to beat it. With a good pass rush (and the 49ers had an all time one - one we didn’t fully appreciate in real time) they can relentlessly attack the QB and force an opponents that offense to rely on quick plays that keeps the plays in front of the D.

What Simms has pointed out is that in the three 10 point 4th quarter comebacks we’ve seen in the Super Bowl have all been in the last 6 years and pulled off against Cover 3 defenses. His theory defenses get gassed quicker due to the extended half time show (Belicheck openly says this is the reason why defenses can’t be expected to shut down an offense all game in the SB) because eventually they’ve allow the opposing QB/offense more time to sling it downfield AND the offense knows exactly how to attack the D if they get enough time to execute.

I’ll give Andy credit for this. He took a lot of flak in this thread for never abandoning the run and taking what the 9ers gave him in the 1st half. But by the 4th quarter, the Niners D had been on the field for 70 plays and were absolutely too gassed to stop our offense. This is where I still put most of the blame on Kyle and secondary blame on Jimmy on the Niners. Kyle should have taken every opportunity to score and to go up 3 possessions on KC when he had the chance. Really, I’ve only seen Harbaugh, Bill, and even O’ Brien operate with that offensive urgency against the Chiefs. You will not beat Pat by shutting him down all game. You beat him by scoring, and scoring a lot.

Frazod 07-23-2020 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 15080839)
Hey all - I've noticed that a few folks have been deleting their posts that came directly after Pat's 2nd INT. Please don't do this. This thread is legitimately a fantastic primary source on the Chiefs' 2nd Super Bowl Championship. I know some folks may think they were too critical of Pat in those posts, but those posts represented the lowest point of the Super Bowl and a very hard moment after our half-century long wait to get back to the SB. With that said, those low posts during that time make the subsequent comeback that much more satisfying to read. If anyone is giving you grief for them, ignore them. We were all in this ride together and 50 years of heartbreak is something that's hard to bounce back from in that moment.

Seriously, I've read a lot of game-threads and instant reactions of the Super Bowl online. Chiefsplanet's is the best one and it isn't close, especially coming from a place that had a shared community like this for so long. Reading us share our incredible 4th quarter comeback is still one of my favorite things to do on a low day.

I'm still kind of amazed how calm I was throughout the entire game; I actually posted something to that effect late in the game. I never yelled or screamed or threw anything; never posted any doom or gloom even after Pat's second pick. I've gotten more worked up over hundreds of regular season and playoff games in the past. Hell, I didn't even get all that emotional after it was over. It was frankly kind of anti-climactic from how I always envisioned it. I think knowing we were finally the team with the best QB and that he could come back from any deficit in the blink of an eye did it. Also, I had no strong feelings about San Francisco, so unlike a game against Denver, Pittsburgh or New England there was no hate factor involved.

Chiefspants 07-23-2020 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15082184)
I'm still kind of amazed how calm I was throughout the entire game; I actually posted something to that effect late in the game. I never yelled or screamed or threw anything; never posted any doom or gloom even after Pat's second pick. I've gotten more worked up over hundreds of regular season and playoff games in the past. Hell, I didn't even get all that emotional after it was over. It was frankly kind of anti-climactic from how I always envisioned it. I think knowing we were finally the team with the best QB and that he could come back from any deficit in the blink of an eye did it. Also, I had no strong feelings about San Francisco, so unlike a game against Denver, Pittsburgh or New England there was no hate factor involved.

This is one of my favorite quotes reading through the thread. Happened when the Niners were starting their drive after Mahomes 2nd INT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14770034)
It ain't over yet, ladies. But the defense needs to step up right ****ing now.

Rain Man 07-23-2020 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15082184)

Y'know, the weird thing is that I was exactly the same way. I simply watched the game and I enjoyed it. When Damien broke left to clench the win, my wife and I hugged and I grinned really big, but that was it. I figured I'd start bawling or something as fifty years of waiting unleashed itself. But no. I just grinned.

Oddly, I actually feel more emotion about it afterwards. If I think about the big plays in the playoffs and the Super Bowl, I'll actually tear up sometimes four months later.

I never thought it would be like that. Maybe it's like Disneyland for the first time, or taking a big trip. When it's happening you're focused on enjoying it in the moment, and then later you really start appreciating what it was.

I'll tell you this, though. For the rest of my life I'm going to remember flying off that hotel room bed onto my feet and yelling when that kickoff fumble flew out into Darwin's hands against the Texans.

crispystl 07-23-2020 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 15082272)
Y'know, the weird thing is that I was exactly the same way. I simply watched the game and I enjoyed it. When Damien broke left to clench the win, my wife and I hugged and I grinned really big, but that was it. I figured I'd start bawling or something as fifty years of waiting unleashed itself. But no. I just grinned.

Oddly, I actually feel more emotion about it afterwards. If I think about the big plays in the playoffs and the Super Bowl, I'll actually tear up sometimes four months later.

I never thought it would be like that. Maybe it's like Disneyland for the first time, or taking a big trip. When it's happening you're focused on enjoying it in the moment, and then later you really start appreciating what it was.

I'll tell you this, though. For the rest of my life I'm going to remember flying off that hotel room bed onto my feet and yelling when that kickoff fumble flew out into Darwin's hands against the Texans.

Same for me too. My wife and son always joked about what I would do if we actually WON, but it wasn't anything crazy, just a sense of pure satisfaction.

Frazod 07-23-2020 08:16 PM

Quote:

I was a drunken emotional mess when they beat the goddamn Colts at Arrowhead in the 2018 playoffs. Finally staked those dreamcrushing pricks and got the no winning at home monkey off our backs. That’s the happiest I’ve ever been after a Chiefs game.

DJay23 07-23-2020 08:39 PM

Quote:

Same here. Two plays choke me up. The Sammy Watkins 60 yarder that all but clinched the AFCCG. WHen you watch the replay after Watkins crosses the goal line, the camera cuts to Mahomes with his arms raised and the crowd going bananas in the background. The other is the Damien clincher.

THose two plays in the moment I was excited, jumping up and down, giddy with excitement. Not a tear to be found. But now, I get choked up watching those two plays.

Coogs 07-23-2020 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJay23 (Post 15082308)
Same here. Two plays choke me up. The Sammy Watkins 60 yarder that all but clinched the AFCCG. WHen you watch the replay after Watkins crosses the goal line, the camera cuts to Mahomes with his arms raised and the crowd going bananas in the background. The other is the Damien clincher.

THose two plays in the moment I was excited, jumping up and down, giddy with excitement. Not a tear to be found. But now, I get choked up watching those two plays.

My two were the pass to Watkins in the Super Bowl that gave us 1st and goal on the 10. Down 3, a tie was in the bag. But I just knew we were going to score and go up by 4. That is when I thought that holy shit, this is gonna happen again in my lifetime.

The other was the Mahomes TD right before half against the Titans. I knew the Titans record under Vrabel when tied or ahead at halftime was unblemished. FG ties us. Mahomes run put us ahead. Second half was nerve wracking, but I still felt confident at that point.

Chiefspants 07-23-2020 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 15080990)
I've read some rumblings that many think that hit caused Jimmy G a slight concussion. I wouldn't be surprised because he was legitimately night and day from that point.

Do you remember when Alex used to unravel a bit after taking a few shots? Usually it'd end up with him getting happy feet, be quicker to run the ball, and abandon clean pockets. IF Alex got hit AFTER that, these tendencies would magnify themselves on an exponential level.

I would argue we first started seeing Jimmy unravel after taking a hit from Hitchens on the previous drive. Not only that, the hit from Hitch was immediately followed up with another hit from Fenton. After that drive, it felt like we started seeing Happy Feet Jimmy where he was quick to release the football, ignore secondary targets (he missed a wide open George Kittle on the 3rd and 5 where he took that shot from Niemann AND a wide open Bourne from Fenton's busted coverage on the 3rd and 10 overthrow to Sanders) but once he got lit up from Ben, it felt like it was straight up curtains at that point.

I am so happy we scored a TD and that Andy planned to go for it on 4th down had Williams not made it in (though I would have been a nervous disaster). Because the Niners could have played their game through Mostert to set up a game winning field goal, a touchdown forced Jimmy to throw, and basically locked the title in for us.

Quote:

This is exactly how I feel. My respect for the Niners has gone up immensely since the Super Bowl. Shanny Jr's offense is legitimately fun to watch, it's a hugely creative evolution of his Dad's game. They can attack you with multiple home run hitters (Mostert, Samuel, Sanders last year), and if they use those threats as a misdirect, Jimmy can roll out and hit a wide open Kittle or Juice, both of whom can gash your defense for 15-20 yards at a time. They were simply a machine last year.

Couple that with their defense, a defense many of us did not give due credit coming into the game (a few did, if you go back through the Let's talk about the 49ers thread). That pass rush had all time talent and they allowed the fewest 20+ yard plays than any D had in the last decade. That pass rush crushed pockets with ease and had the potential to force a turnover on any opposing offensive play. They were as complete of an opponent as we've had in the last two seasons, with one big exception, they lacked a quarterback who can lead the team on a game winning touchdown drive. Something Chiefs fans know all too well is almost always a requirement in the postseason.

They were a combination of the 97' Chiefs and Broncos, basically the perfect cathartic opponent we could have had after decades of playoff futility. The final game of the season could not have been drawn up any better. They felt like the perfect counterbalance to us, the ultimate pass rush vs Patrick Mahomes, and a dazzling running game against a defense that had been gashed by the run repeatedly. The fact it was against the franchise that had delivered us so many game-manager QB's and a coach who was the direct descendant of our biggest rival made the match-up that much sweeter. From a league perspective, the fact that we were seeing a coach who had revolutionized Walsh's WCO against a coach that had revolutionized the run heavy Shanahan variant of the WCO made the match-up a marquee one from the get-go.

In terms of my own mental state - I was a nervous wreck through the game, but I was never angry, even after the 2nd INT. The only thing I could think of was "what if this virus I'm hearing about cancels the NFL after a SB loss? That'd be so #BecauseChiefs." My wife was actually more down about the game than I was at that point. The comeback for me, felt surreal, I still couldn't believe it played out that way. I always wondered if I'd cry too, but my amazement over the fact that the Kansas City Chiefs had won the Super Bowl just stood above all else.

mlyonsd 07-23-2020 10:18 PM

Quote:

The feeling when Damien broke the killing run, to know it was over, after all those years, this year's playoff comebacks....knowing we were SB champs....I went outside on my dad's deck and just started yelling.

Evidently I was the only Chief fan within miles because nobody else was yelling back.

displacedinMN 07-25-2020 12:57 PM

Any word on rings? Nothing I have seen has been officially released.

With that said-If the ring companies/yearbook companies (jostens etc) would have the same problem as they are with yearbooks-it could be a while for them to be received.

Factories were being closed because of CV19. Many schools have not received yearbooks yet. Supposed to be delivered in May.

DaFace 07-25-2020 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 15080839)
Hey all - I've noticed that a few folks have been deleting their posts that came directly after Pat's 2nd INT. Please don't do this. This thread is legitimately a fantastic primary source on the Chiefs' 2nd Super Bowl Championship. I know some folks may think they were too critical of Pat in those posts, but those posts represented the lowest point of the Super Bowl and a very hard moment after our half-century long wait to get back to the SB. With that said, those low posts during that time make the subsequent comeback that much more satisfying to read. If anyone is giving you grief for them, ignore them. We were all in this ride together and 50 years of heartbreak is something that's hard to bounce back from in that moment.

Seriously, I've read a lot of game-threads and instant reactions of the Super Bowl online. Chiefsplanet's is the best one and it isn't close, especially coming from a place that had a shared community like this for so long. Reading us share our incredible 4th quarter comeback is still one of my favorite things to do on a low day.

If you have specific examples, link them. I'm happy to undelete as long as I don't see a legitimate reason that they were deleted.

MMXcalibur 07-25-2020 01:12 PM

Five and a half months later, and I still can't believe we won the Super Bowl.
The "Chiefs Super Bowl Champions" towel hanging next to our bed seems like some mean practical joke.

Hammock Parties 07-25-2020 01:51 PM

the best thing about this thread is how shitty and late OP was

:D

Raiderhater 07-25-2020 01:54 PM

Just got done rewatching this. I was going to start with the divisional game and work my way up to it but, I wasn’t seeing the full game on YouTube.

Pitt Gorilla 07-25-2020 02:10 PM

All 2019 Playoff Games began airing on NFL Network last night. All Chiefs games are included, although I don't know the exact times.

Chiefspants 07-26-2020 03:21 AM

https://sports.yahoo.com/kyle-shanah...045927019.html

Great article about Kyle Shanahan’s interview with Chris Simms today. It’s interesting hearing him breakdown WASP’s impact from the opposing perspective and hear just how critical Chris Jones’ first deflection was (it may have won us the game). Hearing him breakdown how he called a flooded RPO after diagnosing a blitz (overloading our D) still makes me think he outsmarted himself and should have stuck with the run and dared us to stop it. Their run game was flat out lethal and so many other variables can go wrong in the passing game.

The whole interview is pretty solid. Have to think Kyle is going to be as prolific as his Dad. It gives me great joy that we were able to take his team down after watching his Dad crush our playoff dreams.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 07-26-2020 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 15085681)
https://sports.yahoo.com/kyle-shanah...045927019.html

Great article about Kyle Shanahan’s interview with Chris Simms today. It’s interesting hearing him breakdown WASP’s impact from the opposing perspective and hear just how critical Chris Jones’ first deflection was (it may have won us the game). Hearing him breakdown how he called a flooded RPO after diagnosing a blitz (overloading our D) still makes me think he outsmarted himself and should have stuck with the run and dared us to stop it. Their run game was flat out lethal and so many other variables can go wrong in the passing game.

The whole interview is pretty solid. Have to think Kyle is going to be as prolific as his Dad. It gives me great joy that we were able to take his team down after watching his Dad crush our playoff dreams.

Jones has three deflections in the fourth quarter. He is the most impactful player on this team not named Mahomes

TwistedChief 07-26-2020 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 15084647)
If you have specific examples, link them. I'm happy to undelete as long as I don't see a legitimate reason that they were deleted.

If you're going to start undeleting deleted posts, you must begin with the first one in the Patrick Mahomes draft thread. "Bust."

It's the Chiefiest post ever and deserves to stand the test of time.

TwistedChief 07-26-2020 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 15084703)
the best thing about this thread is how shitty and late OP was

:D

You waited 11 minutes to signify the 11pts we were going to win by. It was a brilliant maneuver, to be honest.

displacedinMN 07-26-2020 09:10 AM

Conf Championship on now.

SB on later today

NFL network

Bowser 07-26-2020 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 15085810)
Conf Championship on now.

SB on later today

NFL network

Looking forward to hearing the crowd scream out SAMMYYYYYY right before Mahomes hits him on the 60 yard TD bomb.

Bowser 07-26-2020 09:54 AM

The look on Tannehill's face when Sorenson levels him. LMAO

Chiefspants 07-26-2020 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 15085682)
Jones has three deflections in the fourth quarter. He is the most impactful player on this team not named Mahomes

Would not have even been mad if he won MVP.

displacedinMN 07-26-2020 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 15086001)
Would not have even been mad if he won MVP.

Could have been split 3 ways

RunKC 07-26-2020 12:17 PM

The only thing that makes me cringe when watching this game is our LB’s not named Damien Wilson.

Those reverses were so easy bc they had blockers ready for Clark but not anyone else. They knew Hitchens and Ragland were slow so they could use less blockers to send everyone the other way. They knew those guys couldn’t catch up.

That’s gonna change with a guys like Willie Gay Jr running 4.46

DaFace 07-26-2020 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 15085736)
If you're going to start undeleting deleted posts, you must begin with the first one in the Patrick Mahomes draft thread. "Bust."

It's the Chiefiest post ever and deserves to stand the test of time.

Done.

KChiefs1 07-26-2020 03:52 PM

Chiefs are down 10 at the beginning of the 4th quarter.

Can they pull another one out of the hat?

KChiefs1 07-26-2020 03:58 PM

Another Mahomes interception.

Not looking good.

siberian khatru 07-26-2020 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 15086299)
Another Mahomes interception.

Not looking good.

OVER-RATED

displacedinMN 07-26-2020 04:15 PM

Sticky this thread!

displacedinMN 07-26-2020 04:16 PM

Kelce ****ING WIDE OPEN

Dartgod 07-26-2020 04:45 PM

I think we might just pull this off.

Rain Man 07-26-2020 04:58 PM

That's the Chiefs' fourth Super Bowl win so far in 2020. I'm loving it.

Dartgod 07-26-2020 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 15086368)

Four? More like eight in my house.

Bearcat 07-26-2020 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 15086352)
I think we might just pull this off.

Well, they better... I already bought a bunch of memorabilia.

suzzer99 07-26-2020 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 15086368)

I'm at about 9. Pretty much every time I get drunk gamepass comes out at the end of the night.

Rain Man 07-26-2020 05:08 PM

Don't post spoilers to my next four or five, guys. I want to be surprised.

JohnnyHammersticks 07-26-2020 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks (Post 14770269)
The doubting pussies in the Super Bowl game thread will live forever in infamy and it will be FREAKING GLORIOUS

Pretty prophetic, if I do say so myself.

My question is, how did the doubting pussies not know that they were setting themselves up for a lifetime of humiliation and regret? Did they not watch our other playoff games? Had they never seen Mahomes play before the SB?

Did they somehow not realize the gravity of it all? That this game thread will be bumped for the next century? Did they not realize that even if we win twenty more championships, this specific SB game thread will outlive all of us? This thread will be bumped by the grand-kids of people who haven't even been born yet.

Dartgod 07-26-2020 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 15086373)
Don't post spoilers to my next four or five, guys. I want to be surprised.

I don't want to spoil anything, but you might want to be sure not to miss the last eight minutes of the game.

Chiefspants 08-14-2020 05:47 AM

Do you know how great it is to NOT have to read articles like this after a crushing playoff loss?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ins/113142304/

Quote:

Nick Bosa said he hasn’t been able to watch the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl even once. Jimmie Ward needed to wait more than a month to pop in that tape and has watched it maybe 20 times.
The Super Bowl loss that came after San Francisco blew a 10-point fourth-quarter lead over the Kansas City Chiefs still hovers over the 49ers six months later as they begin preparations for what they hope will be a title run this time.

“We all have that ingrained in our brain,” defensive lineman Arik Armstead said. “It’s all motivating us and pushing us to get back there. I think we had such an amazing year last year and we want to continue to get better and move forward. I know we’re all excited to get back to work and try to get back to Super Bowl and win this time.”
I swear I read articles like this after 03, 13, and 97. All years where we didn’t get back in the playoffs after those soul crushing losses in the playoffs. 97 is particularly foreboding, as Dave Szott openly said they’d be careful that loss wouldn’t “break the team.” Some teams just don’t bounce back from losses like that.

It’s also been nice to see literally zero of the Niners blaming the refs for the game. The opportunity is there for them to do it, but they all seem to know they got beat and lost the game in the 4th quarter.

KChiefs1 08-14-2020 05:57 AM

It’s on again tonight!

Dayze 08-14-2020 06:38 AM

not just blowing a 10pt lead; but blowing it with like 7:30 to go in the 4th.

Chiefspants 08-14-2020 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 15113545)
not just blowing a 10pt lead; but blowing it with like 7:30 to go in the 4th.

You have a 1st and 10, up 10, with 9 minutes left in the Super Bowl. You also have a running back who rushed for 220 yards 2 weeks before. What do ya do?

I know the Niners coaching staff has argued that Chris Jones should have received the accolades that WASP has - but if you keep the ball on the ground, the risk for a batted ball (or a drop, INT, overthrow, etc) and a stopped clock evaporate instantly.

displacedinMN 08-14-2020 06:49 AM

Stuff like that destroys a team. It is in their head. How has Atlanta been since that debacle?

Chiefspants 08-14-2020 10:10 AM

By the way - if you haven’t - give the 9ers broadcast a listen on gamepass. Greg Papa gives a HOF worthy broadcast but what really makes it stand out is Tim Ryan’s analysis. For a rival broadcast, it’s about as fair as it gets (some homerism, of course, but it’s minimal). And Tim and Greg genuinely give great calls to Chiefs highlights.

A good example was the DPI on Kelce. While Kurt Warner was lamenting a “bad NFL rule” on Westwood One that allows QB’s to take advantage of easy DPI’s (I think Warner was trying to balance Harlan’s obvious KC bias he had in the game lol). Ryan went into detail about how great of a play Kelce made and that he made a perfect, veteran move to engage contact and that it was, ultimately, on Moore for not turning his head around. Both Papa and Ryan had massive praise for Kelce throughout the game (a stark contrast from 9er fan homerism that since he’s not Kittle, he must suck).

They also suspected Damien’s sweeps right were all a ploy to gas/put hits on Sherman. Papa literally says “expect the Chiefs to try to go over the top on a tired Sherman sometime this quarter.” You could just tell that both of these guys have exceptional IQ’s of the game (and even seemed ahead of Shanny in some capacities).

They were pretty much ready to dare the Chiefs to stop their run up 20-10 (after Jimmy's high incompletion on 2nd and 9) They went on to not hide their criticism of Kyle's playcalling in the 4th quarter. At the beginning of the Niners drive up 20-17, Ryan said the worst possible thing they could do was stop the clock and at worst, immediately give the ball back to a warmed up Mahomes. They said this was the time to lean on their team's biggest strength and hottest player (Mostert) they were baffled that Shanny went to the air on 2nd and 3rd and 5 of that drive. Before the final drive, they pointed out that with 3 timeouts, nothing was preventing the Niners from running the ball and playing their normal offense down the field. They said the Niners shouldn't go for home runs and give the ball back to Mahomes with any time left, but get into their rhythm. Instead, they eventually turned it over on downs with 2 batted balls in that series. Hearing that kind of criticism from their own team's announcers was... a bit refreshing?

They were pretty bummed by the end, but that's to be expected. It pains me to admit, but their analysis also ran circles around Kendall’s from start to finish (and I like him more than most).

SupDock 08-14-2020 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 15113832)
By the way - if you haven’t - give the 9ers broadcast a listen on gamepass. Greg Papa gives a HOF worthy broadcast but what really makes it stand out is Tim Ryan’s analysis. For a rival broadcast, it’s about as fair as it gets (some homerism, of course, but it’s minimal). And Tim and Greg genuinely give great calls to Chiefs highlights.

A good example was the DPI on Kelce. While Kurt Warner was lamenting a “bad NFL rule” that allows QB’s to take advantage of easy DPI’s (I think Warner was trying to balance Harlan’s obvious KC bias he had in the game lol). Ryan went into detail about how great of a play Kelce made and that he made a perfect, veteran move to engage contact and that it was, ultimately, on Moore for not turning his head around.

Another moment was on the previous drive, when Jimmy’s pass sailed high on 2nd and 9 and he got tattooed by Hitchens. Papa and Ryan seemed to think that play illustrated the risks of the Niners passing in Q4. Ryan broke down how normally that’s an easy completion but Hitchens forced a quick throw that could have been an INT. You could tell they both were ready to stick to the run by that point.

The last thing is that they suspected Damien’s sweeps left were all a ploy to gas/put hits on Sherman. Papa literally says “expect the Chiefs to try to go over the top on a tired Sherman sometime this quarter.” You could just tell that both of these guys have exceptional IQ’s of the game (and even seemed ahead of Shanny in some capacities). It pains me to admit, but their analysis also ran circles around Kendall’s from start to finish (and I like him more than most).

I'm not too familiar with gamepass, is this a subscription?

Chiefspants 08-14-2020 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupDock (Post 15113841)
I'm not too familiar with gamepass, is this a subscription?

It’s on NFL.com. They sometimes offer free passes (just gotta look out for it). It’s EDIT: $99 a year, but I’m only paying for this month before cancelling the night before opening day. They have full rebroadcasts of every game (and listening options from several broadcasts) as well as the All 22. Perfect listening material for my 45 minute commute.

SupDock 08-14-2020 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 15113849)
It’s on NFL.com. They sometimes offer free passes (just gotta look out for it). It’s $25 a month, but I’m only paying for this month before cancelling the night before opening day. They have full rebroadcasts of every game (and listening options from several broadcasts) as well as the All 22. Perfect listening material for my 45 minute commute.

Thanks for the info!

displacedinMN 08-14-2020 10:39 AM

After hitchens hit him-grappolo was grabbing his head. I think we covered that somewhere.

Iowanian 08-14-2020 10:41 AM

Stop being so negative. The Chiefs are going to WIN.

DRM08 08-14-2020 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 15113549)
Stuff like that destroys a team. It is in their head. How has Atlanta been since that debacle?

Valid point, although it seems like the Niners have a stronger foundation for future success. Guess we will see how it goes for them.

Mecca 08-14-2020 10:45 AM

I've had gamepass for free for like 6 months, it was worth jumping on when Corona started, the freebe ends at the end of August though.

ChiefsFanatic 08-16-2020 05:40 AM

Quote:

A good example was the DPI on Kelce. While Kurt Warner was lamenting a “bad NFL rule” on Westwood One that allows QB’s to take advantage of easy DPI’s (I think Warner was trying to balance Harlan’s obvious KC bias he had in the game lol). Ryan went into detail about how great of a play Kelce made and that he made a perfect, veteran move to engage contact and that it was, ultimately, on Moore for not turning his head around. Both Papa and Ryan had massive praise for Kelce throughout the game (a stark contrast from 9er fan homerism that since he’s not Kittle, he must suck).

They also suspected Damien’s sweeps right were all a ploy to gas/put hits on Sherman. Papa literally says “expect the Chiefs to try to go over the top on a tired Sherman sometime this quarter.” You could just tell that both of these guys have exceptional IQ’s of the game (and even seemed ahead of Shanny in some capacities).

They were pretty much ready to dare the Chiefs to stop their run up 20-10 (after Jimmy's high incompletion on 2nd and 9) They went on to not hide their criticism of Kyle's playcalling in the 4th quarter. At the beginning of the Niners drive up 20-17, Ryan said the worst possible thing they could do was stop the clock and at worst, immediately give the ball back to a warmed up Mahomes. They said this was the time to lean on their team's biggest strength and hottest player (Mostert) they were baffled that Shanny went to the air on 2nd and 3rd and 5 of that drive. Before the final drive, they pointed out that with 3 timeouts, nothing was preventing the Niners from running the ball and playing their normal offense down the field. They said the Niners shouldn't go for home runs and give the ball back to Mahomes with any time left, but get into their rhythm. Instead, they eventually turned it over on downs with 2 batted balls in that series. Hearing that kind of criticism from their own team's announcers was... a bit refreshing?

They were pretty bummed by the end, but that's to be expected. It pains me to admit, but their analysis also ran circles around Kendall’s from start to finish (and I like him more than most).

Most radio and television pundits have harped on Shanahan's play calling, saying he should have just ran the ball and it would have been an easy win.

But, although the 49ers had a good average yards per carry, the Chiefs had just shut down the running back who had the single greatest stretch of games in playoff history, and was being considered unstoppable by most experts.

Our defense absolutely had the ability to stop the 49ers run game. And, going to the passing game had the potential to catch us off-guard. On one play, Jimmy G looked like he threw the ball away, but it was later determined that the receiver ran the wrong route, and had he run the correct route would have been wide open because Fenton was absolutely confused on the coverage. It likely would have resulted in a TD or at least a very long competition off the catch and run. I think Turning Point and Chris Simms both broke down the play, showing Fenton out of position and the receiver, which I think was Borne, running the wrong route.

Then Chris Jones started knocking down passes like a man possessed. On two of the tipped passes, the receiver was wide open and would have had an easy 1st down, and could have helped change the outcome of the game.

If Jones doesn't knock down those passes, and Borne runs the correct route, it's likely those radio and television experts would be talking about Shanahan's genius play calling, and how he used the threat of his dominant run game to surprise the defense, putting the game on Jimmy G's shoulders after barely allowing him to throw the ball in the two previous games.

I said this earlier in the thread, but I really think it's Saleh that should be getting more of the blame than Shanahan. His defense gave up 21 points in about 6 minutes of game time in the 4th quarter. Yet, no one even mentions his name when talking about our comeback.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Chiefspants 08-16-2020 02:34 PM

In traditional circumstances I would be 100% in agreement - especially if you have a top ten QB. However, in the 49ers position I think you have to rely on the strength of your football team (ranked 2nd in the league) - especially since the time remaining is very much operating as a 12th teammate at the point on the field.

It reminds me of when Haley would refuse to hand the ball off to Charles and would instead opt to have Matt Cassel chuck the hall in spite of having zero trust in Matt. It also makes me think of the 2013 and 2017 playoff games where Andy ran the ball seven? times despite having a lead in the second half. Am I remembering right that Andy only gave the ball to Kareem three times in the 2nd half in the 2017 game against the Titans?

Don’t get me wrong, with Mahomes I really could not care less if Andy chucks the ball 50 times in the 2nd half up by 20. Whatever. It’s Pat. He can be trusted. But Jimmy? I don’t see it. Shanny did a similar thing in their loss against the Ravens earlier in the year. It was 4th and 1, Mostert had shredded the Ravens all game in the pouring rain and what does Shanny call? Two passes on two different 4th and 1’s, one of which Jimmy flat out missed a wide open receiver. The play calls can be perfect on Shanny’s end, but at the end of the day if you’re trusting Jimmy to deliver over Mostert and Kittle (who’s blocking), you’re probably out thinking yourself. At a certain point, it doesn’t matter if the defense knows what’s coming, you just gotta rely on your guys to beat them. I think some coaches (even great ones) forget that when they try to fool a defense by giving up their bread and better, they underestimate the gift they’re giving to their opponent by moving away from the dominant part of their team. Heck even Tyrann said the defense was thankful the 49ers moved away from the run.

Funnily enough, I would trust Matt Ryan in that situation way more than Jimmy - but Falcons fans hilariously all called Kyle to keep chucking the ball and blow the lead in the 4th - which he did. It was basically a massive salt filled celebration on the Falcons subreddit after the game.

The thing that interests me the most is that Andy was actually quicker to rely on the run in the 2nd half of the Titans game with Mahomes than he was 2 seasons ago with Alex. It has to help that both the Titans and Niners allowed the Chiefs red carpet access to the running game due to their very justified fears of Patrick.

DaneMcCloud 08-16-2020 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 15113849)
It’s on NFL.com. They sometimes offer free passes (just gotta look out for it). It’s $25 a month, but I’m only paying for this month before cancelling the night before opening day. They have full rebroadcasts of every game (and listening options from several broadcasts) as well as the All 22. Perfect listening material for my 45 minute commute.

$25 a month?

I’ve paid $99 a year since 2018.

Chiefspants 08-16-2020 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15116721)
$25 a month?

I’ve paid $99 a year since 2018.

Good call. I got mixed around because it immediately became free once I agreed to monthly installments. I’ll make the edit!

Buehler445 08-16-2020 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 15116714)
In traditional circumstances I would be 100% in agreement - especially if you have a top ten QB. However, in the 49ere position I think you have to rely on the strength of your football team - especially since the time remaining is very much operating as a 12th teammate at the point on the field.

It reminds me of when Haley would refuse to hand the ball off to Charles and would instead opt to have Matt Cassel chuck the hall in spite of having zero trust in Matt. It also makes me think of the 2013 and 2017 playoff games where Andy ran the ball seven? times despite having a lead in the second half. Am I remembering right that Andy only gave the ball to Kareem three times in the 2nd half in the 2017 game against the Titans?

Don’t get me wrong, with Mahomes I really could not care less if Andy chucks the ball 50 times in the 2nd half up by 20. Whatever. It’s Pat. He can be trusted. But Jimmy? I don’t see it. Shanny did a similar thing in their loss against the Ravens earlier in the year. It was 4th and 1, Mostert had shredded the Ravens all game in the pouring rain and what does Shanny call? Two passes on two different 4th and 1’s, one of which Jimmy flat out missed a wide open receiver. The play calls can be perfect on Shanny’s end, but at the end of the day if you’re trusting Jimmy to deliver over Mostert and Kittle (who’s blocking), you’re probably out thinking yourself. At a certain point, it doesn’t matter if the defense knows what’s coming, you just gotta rely on your guys to beat them.

Funnily enough, I would trust Matt Ryan in that situation way more than Jimmy - but Falcons fans hilariously all called Kyle to keep chucking the ball and blow the lead in the 4th - which he did. It was basically a massive salt filled celebration on the Falcons subreddit after the game.

The thing that interests me the most is that Andy was actually quicker to rely on the run in the 2nd half of the Titans game with Mahomes than he was 2 seasons ago with Alex. It has to help that both the Titans and Niners allowed the Chiefs red carpet access to the running game due to their very justified fears of Patrick.

I think a lot of Reid’s deal is with Alex they were sitting on the short stuff/run game. Throwing the ball (intermediate/deep -Smith. Ya ****). But everyone is scared of Mahomes so the run was ther e

Why Not? 08-16-2020 07:37 PM

Quote:

Always liked Tim Ryan on NFL radio when he did that a few years back.

suzzer99 08-16-2020 08:24 PM

Quote:

I'm listening to the HOU playoff game now. I never really heard Kendall much since I live outside of KC and it's too hard to sync internet radio to the TV. Yeah he doesn't seem to add much at all. They need to get a better color guy.

Frazod 08-21-2020 10:19 PM

This just popped up on my YouTube feed; if it's been posted here, I haven't seen it. Funny as hell. Enjoy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/o0DiFzPzkko" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stryker 08-21-2020 10:26 PM

I cannot even begin to tell you guys how many times I have watched this game. I am actually watching it right now. It is just an unbelievable game and we WIN EVERY TIME! Jesus Christ it is soooo our time! Feels so good to be a Chiefs fan right now. I work for a hospital and I wear my 3 Chiefs masks with pride around so very many Saints fans - hell YES!

MMXcalibur 08-22-2020 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15124611)
This just popped up on my YouTube feed; if it's been posted here, I haven't seen it. Funny as hell. Enjoy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/o0DiFzPzkko" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I subscribe to Urinating Tree.

He's hilarious and pulls out one of these "Week in Review" after each NFL weekend.

RoyalsAndSaints 08-22-2020 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stryker (Post 15124620)
I cannot even begin to tell you guys how many times I have watched this game. I am actually watching it right now. It is just an unbelievable game and we WIN EVERY TIME! Jesus Christ it is soooo our time! Feels so good to be a Chiefs fan right now. I work for a hospital and I wear my 3 Chiefs masks with pride around so very many Saints fans - hell YES!

As a Saints fan, it felt so good watching the Niners fail like that. We certainly were pulling for the Chiefs. :toast: :Royals:

Frazod 08-22-2020 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyalsAndSaints (Post 15124809)
As a Saints fan, it felt so good watching the Niners fail like that. We certainly were pulling for the Chiefs. :toast: :Royals:

It was such a shame that we didn't get to play the Saints in the Super Bowl in 2019. Instead of the game the universe wanted to see, we were stuck with the game the Goodell wanted us to see.

The final score would have probably been 84-80. :D

RoyalsAndSaints 08-22-2020 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15125047)
It was such a shame that we didn't get to play the Saints in the Super Bowl in 2019. Instead of the game the universe wanted to see, we were stuck with the game the Goodell wanted us to see.

The final score would have probably been 84-80. :D

The SB we never had, could’ve been a Madden video game!

Bearcat 08-25-2020 04:52 PM

The prints are ****ing expensive, but the same guy who did a Royals WS painting just came out with the Chiefs SB version.

https://www.leopoldgallery.com/artis...at=WilliamRose

https://www.leopoldgallery.com/Art_I...dium/CH001.jpg

smithandrew051 08-25-2020 05:30 PM

Who won the Super Bowl? I hope it was the Kansas City Chiefs, which is my favorite team.

Hammock Parties 08-29-2020 11:43 AM

We did it guys.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Egmtu56W...pg&name=medium

Baby Lee 08-29-2020 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyalsAndSaints (Post 15124809)

My cousin is a huge Saints fan [and I must admit residual affection from the erections incurred by The Doom Patrol], so I feel your pain. Though I mostly enjoy my own joy, . . you understand.

All year the past two years she's been talking a lot until the playoffs [and fortunately or unfortunately, she managed to attend both of the last two play off losses], and I just quietly kept telling her, wait 'til you get a load of our new guy.

She's not a fan, but she gets it now. ;)

DaneMcCloud 08-29-2020 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 15116794)
Good call. I got mixed around because it immediately became free once I agreed to monthly installments. I’ll make the edit!

I received a renewal notification from NFL Game Pass yesterday which has new pricing for 2020.

Instead of $99.99 dollars for the year, it's been lowered to $79.99.

IMO, it's worth every penny.

Chiefspants 08-29-2020 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15137621)
I received a renewal notification from NFL Game Pass yesterday which has new pricing for 2020.

Instead of $99.99 dollars for the year, it's been lowered to $79.99.

IMO, it's worth every penny.

100%

Speaking of quality entertainment, America's Game for our SB winning season comes this week on Wednesday.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Yes. I&#39;m told there will be an America&#39;s Game for the Chiefs plus a coaches show (ala the Pats&#39; &quot;Do Your Job&quot;) this year, with both scheduled to premiere September 9 on NFL Network. More details will come later. <a href="https://t.co/gMzBus4Ywx">https://t.co/gMzBus4Ywx</a></p>&mdash; Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) <a href="https://twitter.com/TerezPaylor/status/1293300728568651778?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 11, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

JohnnyHammersticks 09-09-2020 06:02 PM

Still have the original broadcast of the SB on my DVR. I've re-watched the entire game 3 times, as well as catching a few re-broadcasts on NFL Network. My plan was to watch it again tomorrow as soon as the closing bell rings at 2:00pm my time, then delete it and start with a clean slate tomorrow night. New season and not living in the past and all, you know? Now I'm really getting cold feet about deleting it. Feels like dumping a girlfriend who's really good in bed. Is this something I'm going to regret doing?

Chiefspants 09-09-2020 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks (Post 15156255)
Still have the original broadcast of the SB on my DVR. I've re-watched the entire game 3 times, as well as catching a few re-broadcasts on NFL Network. My plan was to watch it again tomorrow as soon as the closing bell rings at 2:00pm my time, then delete it and start with a clean slate tomorrow night. New season and not living in the past and all, you know? Now I'm really getting cold feet about deleting it. Feels like dumping a girlfriend who's really good in bed. Is this something I'm going to regret doing?

Please find a way to share it with me. Weirdly I WANT the SB copy with commercials lol. Watching those old 90’s SB’s with commercials adds so much to the overall experience.

JohnnyHammersticks 09-09-2020 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 15156294)
Please find a way to share it with me. Weirdly I WANT the SB copy with commercials lol. Watching those old 90’s SB’s with commercials adds so much to the overall experience.

I'm relatively tech-savvy but that's over my pay grade. If you can figure something out that's feasible I'm game though. Would give me a reason not to delete it tomorrow. It's on a DirecTV receiver.

Chiefspants 09-09-2020 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks (Post 15156309)
I'm relatively tech-savvy but that's over my pay grade. If you can figure something out that's feasible I'm game though. Would give me a reason not to delete it tomorrow.

Same. Unsure if it’s even possible - but I’m happy to be your alibi for keeping it a while longer :)

Sofa King 09-09-2020 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks (Post 15156255)

Why the **** would you delete it? Try to fill up the whole damn thing with SB victories if you can.

KCTitus 09-09-2020 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 15156352)
Why the **** would you delete it? Try to fill up the whole damn thing with SB victories if you can.

+1

Dont delete SB victories... bad juju

JohnnyHammersticks 09-09-2020 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 15156352)

I like the way you think, my man. I like the way you think. :hmmm: