ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV *The NEW Movies Thread* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280244)

mikeyis4dcats. 08-28-2023 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 17072679)
The Nike movie is incredible.

I cried when Matt Damon gave his speech to Jordan.

too bad it was a lot of fiction.

KCUnited 08-28-2023 07:51 AM

I was thoroughly entertained by Bullet Train over the weekend

Nothing new or mind blowing but its fun for what it is

oldandslow 08-28-2023 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 17048541)
I've been on a bit of a WWII kick since Oppenheimer. So I re-watched Darkest Hour.

I watched it once and under-appreciated it.

1. Gary Oldman is goddamned brilliant. Chamberlain is a tough egg to crack, and he hit it. There were a shitload of mannerisms, mumbling, doddering, etc that he could have stumbed on and he ****ing killed it.

2. Lilly James is PROFOUNDLY attractive.

3. Ben Mendelsohn was really good. I didn't even notice him the first time around, but he's ****ing good. Pretty much every time I see him in something, he exceeds expectations.

4. I don't know what the real story is (probably not what was shown on screen), but the subway scene was goddamned compelling. The writing and camerawork were tight as hell and Oldman oozed charisma. I honestly don't know how you make that scene any better.

5. Of course the never surrender speech is rousing, but if they're going to hit all the other stuff, that is a foregone conclusion.

You have to be in the right mood to watch it - it's British, so it can be a bit dry, but it's really ****ing good if you're in the right frame of mind.

Watched this last PM based on your rec...and you are absolutely correct. Just a terrific movie.

Oldman was fantastic.

Buehler445 08-28-2023 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldandslow (Post 17076498)
Watched this last PM based on your rec...and you are absolutely correct. Just a terrific movie.

Oldman was fantastic.

Glad you liked it. It's getting some age on it now, but seems like it is an underappreciated movie.

ThaVirus 10-09-2023 08:33 AM

I’m a few years late but I watched Uncut Gems last week and thought it was good. Adam Sandler in a non-comedic role was refreshing.

KCUnited 10-09-2023 09:37 AM

I watched Reptile over the weekend and found it entertaining

It was pretty obvious early on where it was going which kind of killed the suspense or any potential twists but I thought it was well made and performed. I especially enjoyed the use and placement of the incidental music to help build the suspense

Nothing groundbreaking though but enjoyable nonetheless

And Alicia Silverstone was rocking a thicc mom bod

Spoiler!

ToxSocks 10-09-2023 10:47 AM

Went to the movies Friday night and watched "The Exorcism: Believer".

I thought it was a worthy sequel, while understanding it's impossible to recapture the magic of the original.

A bit of a slow burn for much of the movie, it had my wife falling asleep. In her words, "it sucked".

I thought it did a decent job of pushing the boundaries on what we "expect to happen" and throwing some slight curveballs. The two little girls did an excellent job.

I think the exorcism itself was good, but too short. Simply wasn't enough focus on the exorcism considering the run time on the movie. I think they did a good job on the exorcism, just wasn't enough of it.

With that said, i'm not sure the bi-racial angle was necessary at all, and it forced a narrative at the end of the movie that i'm surprised the MAGA culture hasn't whined about already.

The bi-religious angle was also odd, as the movie tried to blend catholicism and... voodoo? I'm not sure what it is that "the blacks" were supposed to be practicing as i don't recall it ever being defined in the movie. I think we're suppose to assume it's some sort of Haitian voodooo/witch craft, but again, i don't know.

In Summary: Too much time developing characters and not enough time being a horror movie. Good for a few jump scares, the little girls did awesome, the possesed versions of themselves were well done. It was a quality movie and well produced for the most part. Didn't feel cheap or rushed. It lacked some magic and at the end of the day, was not immune to "The Message" as Black Man Good, White Man Bad permeated through out the movie and ultimately ended on it.

ThaVirus 11-19-2023 09:17 PM

Alright so over the last couple weekends I watched Fast X, The Meg 2 and Everything Everywhere All At Once.

Fast X and The Meg 2 were huge pieces of shit.

All At Once was an interesting non-superhero take on the multiverse. And I love Michelle Yeoh.

Frazod 12-08-2023 04:00 PM

This looks like it could be really interesting.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i48f4AvS-Pk?si=XXWCxhZedoUUoe-y" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pointer19 12-11-2023 05:21 AM

Anybody seen "Leave the World Behind" yet? It's popping up on a bunch of social media and such. Kind of a believable doomsday scenario.

BigRichard 12-11-2023 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pointer19 (Post 17273200)
Anybody seen "Leave the World Behind" yet? It's popping up on a bunch of social media and such. Kind of a believable doomsday scenario.

I am always a sucker for any end of the world type movies and the cast is a great cast of characters. I will check it out.

AdolfOliverBush 12-11-2023 10:03 AM

"Strays" is on Peacock. It's very, very filthy, and hilarious. I knew it was rated R, but damn.

Hammock Parties 12-11-2023 11:04 AM

Quote:

it's an anti-white obama-produced load of garbage

Cheater5 12-11-2023 11:19 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UcHSH8Yx0DM?si=XnvVsG_pKIzruH6v" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I pushed through this drudgery simply because I thought Willem Dafoe could save it. It tries so hard to be avant garde, but it comes off like a third year film student's attempt to be deep with too many layers that defy logic. The premise; an art thief is trapped inside a multi-million dollar high rise apartment and spends several weeks attempting to escape. He does dumb shit and wastes days daydreaming and / or hallucinating. He finally chooses possibly the most difficult course of action to try to escape.

My wife fell asleep for an hour woke up and said "this stupid shit is still on?" and that's how I felt too at the end. Suspend all logic, critical thinking and common sense if you want to watch it. If you're an art house dork who wears small round-framed glasses, smokes clove cigarettes, has numerous pet cats and won't shut up about that one time you visited the Marc Sleen museum in Brussels-- this is for you.

rydogg58 12-11-2023 11:22 AM

Quote:

We watched it the other night. It started out interesting but didn't end that way. The only thing believable about it was that I would expect that family to be as clueless and oblivious to the outside world as they were.

Other than that, it was dumb. Halfway through the movie I wasn't sure if the wife was going to **** the other guy when they were dancing, and her husband was going to **** the daughter. And what the **** could a hacker hack to change the animals behavior? I'm still not sure what that was even supposed to mean.

Just avoid it. It made zero sense and unfortunately they all lived.

ToxSocks 12-11-2023 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush (Post 17273602)
"Strays" is on Peacock. It's very, very filthy, and hilarious. I knew it was rated R, but damn.

Was a bit disappointed with this one tbh. Probably a me thing, i wouldnt dissuade anyone from watching it.

AdolfOliverBush 12-12-2023 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 17274413)
Was a bit disappointed with this one tbh. Probably a me thing, i wouldnt dissuade anyone from watching it.

I think my "state of mind" at the time made it funnier to me than it normally would've seemed. I wouldn't sit through it completely sober.

Hammock Parties 12-13-2023 10:35 PM

Quote:

it's actually really good, and the ending had me ****ing rolling

check it out, preppers! we all need to follow the tao of kevin bacon.

Fish 12-13-2023 11:35 PM

This should rile up the nutters...

<iframe width="595" height="335" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aDyQxtg0V2w" title="Civil War | Official Trailer HD | A24" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigBeauford 12-14-2023 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 17278695)

<iframe width="595" height="335" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aDyQxtg0V2w" title="Civil War | Official Trailer HD | A24" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Alex Garland so you know there is going to be a really dumb takeaway.

Hammock Parties 12-14-2023 09:29 AM

Bone Tomahawk...jesus christ... LMAO

Buehler445 12-14-2023 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 17278915)
Bone Tomahawk...jesus christ... LMAO

You hadn’t seen that one? Christ.

I watched it on someone’s recommendation in here. It was pretty hardcore.

Hammock Parties 12-14-2023 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 17279570)
You hadn’t seen that one? Christ.

I watched it on someone’s recommendation in here. It was pretty hardcore.

Loved every minute of it.

Loved how ****ing stupid they were.

Sacrificed the sheriff, white hat and probably broke-leg dude too, to rescue one woman.

Granted, since the town doc was a drunk, maybe her fate was to save a whole lot more lives in the community.

And maybe sacrificing three men to take out the whole tribe of trogs was worth it.

Either way, the frontier sucked. ROFL

Also, who's to say they even made it back to town? LMAO

I would ****ing love a sequel where a cavalry goes around trying to extermine all the trogs. All out war.

DJay23 12-14-2023 09:16 PM

Quote:

It's a good movie in that it's got some good acting and lots of doomsday eye candy. It kept our attention throughout, which what else can you ask of a movie nowadays? I liked the ending, girlfriend did not.

Hammock Parties 12-14-2023 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJay23 (Post 17280022)
It's a good movie in that it's got some good acting and lots of doomsday eye candy. It kept our attention throughout, which what else can you ask of a movie nowadays? I liked the ending, girlfriend did not.

I absolutely had side-splitting laughter at the ending.

Made me want a bunker. I'm not having my ****ing teeth fall out. Stay inside if shit ever goes down, period.

KCUnited 12-16-2023 10:25 AM

I enjoyed LtWB

Sure I get some of the chatter

It has the helpless-without-his-smartphone white husband and dad

The angry at everyone, judgmental white Karen wife and mom who has an underlying touch of jungle fever when in the presence of a strong, intelligent, capable black male

Doofus teenage white son

Traditional white little sis no one listens to

Strong, intelligent, capable black male

Strong, sassy yet vulnerable black daughter

White doomsday prepper who'll pull a shotgun on anyone at anytime to defend what's his

But none of those are inaccurate portrayals in society so unless you're super insecure about yourself its just a regular ol movie. I appreciated the filming style and the score. I thought the ending was well done.

Plus they had me at Misled by Kool & The Gang early in movie. That song is fire (she's as heavy as a Chevy LMAO)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HOIF17uIyos?si=vJuCnx7i9sBVuSwB" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ToxSocks 12-20-2023 02:31 PM

Quote:

****ing terrible movie. Ending was garbage. 2-hour and 20 min run time and THAT was the payoff at the end? 2hour snooze fest. Kevin Bacon got like 10 minutes of screen time. The ship running ashore was the only interesting thing to happen in this movie.

Cheater5 12-20-2023 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 17281481)
I enjoyed LtWB

Sure I get some of the chatter

It has the helpless-without-his-smartphone white husband and dad

The angry at everyone, judgmental white Karen wife and mom who has an underlying touch of jungle fever when in the presence of a strong, intelligent, capable black male

Doofus teenage white son

Traditional white little sis no one listens to

Strong, intelligent, capable black male

Strong, sassy yet vulnerable black daughter

White doomsday prepper who'll pull a shotgun on anyone at anytime to defend what's his

But none of those are inaccurate portrayals in society so unless you're super insecure about yourself its just a regular ol movie. I appreciated the filming style and the score. I thought the ending was well done.

Plus they had me at Misled by Kool & The Gang early in movie. That song is fire (she's as heavy as a Chevy LMAO)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HOIF17uIyos?si=vJuCnx7i9sBVuSwB" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

None of those were inaccurate portrayals? Lol. K. Agree to disagree. This movie was a disappointment— but anymore I find most are poorly written and insultingly dumb.

Stryker 12-20-2023 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17266483)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i48f4AvS-Pk?si=XXWCxhZedoUUoe-y" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ok, that is original and AWESOME!

Stryker 12-20-2023 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 17278695)

Ok, HOLY SHIT! Looks AWESOME!

Hammock Parties 12-21-2023 12:50 AM

Finally saw "The Postman" after 26 years.

Loved every second of it.

Was it perfect? No. A lot of cheese. But a lot of heart, and you can't beat that final shot.

:D

Also, David Brin's take on it will leave you happy it was made the way it was made. It could have been a LOT worse. There's also a fun site about the novel's backstory that's interesting to read.

And as a FORMER postman, it definitely hit me right in the feels.

Rausch 12-22-2023 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJay23 (Post 17280022)

Just watch "The Day After." It's a fairly realistic end-of-it-all flick that may not have held up as far as special effects or stock film go but the setting and story hit home.

BigRichard 12-24-2023 06:10 AM

Just watched The Iron Claw last night. Pretty good movie but nothing out of this world or anything. Solid 7/10 I would say. It seems like they glossed over some of the story after reading up on it. I probably watched some of their matches when I was a kid but don't remember the story at all. Very tragic for the family.

ChiliConCarnage 12-24-2023 06:42 AM

Blue Beetle on Max

I thought this was supposed to be pretty decent. There's no reason to watch it for the super hero part, you've seen it before.

It's got a nice family dynamic. Between that and the campy humor that misses a bunch.. it really feels like a movie where the main characters should be 10-12 year olds. I thought it was pretty cruddy if you're watching as an adult for adults.

Frazod 12-24-2023 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 17291937)

Was it perfect? No. A lot of cheese. But a lot of heart, and you can't beat that final shot.

Also, David Brin's take on it will leave you happy it was made the way it was made. It could have been a LOT worse. There's also a fun site about the novel's backstory that's interesting to read.

The Postman always got a bad rap. Much like Solo paying the price for Last Jedi, it got savaged by critics still angry over Waterworld, which truly did suck. Also, I think people were expecting radioactive zombies and mutated monsters, and Postman was a realistic portrayal of how a post-nuclear war society might actually function and had no sci-fi/fantasy elements.

I saw it in theater and enjoyed it. It wasn't great, but it was good.

Hammock Parties 12-24-2023 12:33 PM

Wow. Oliver Stone's JFK was ****ing amazing. Amazingly well shot, too, and great score. Costner squoze some tears out of me at the end.

No doubt that the CIA took out Kennedy. Back and to the left. That shot could only have come from the fence.

Gonna have to watch Nixon and W. now.

Pepe Silvia 12-24-2023 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 17295573)
Wow. Oliver Stone's JFK was ****ing amazing. Amazingly well shot, too, and great score. Costner squoze some tears out of me at the end.

No doubt that the CIA took out Kennedy. Back and to the left. That shot could only have come from the fence.

Gary Oldman looked just like Lee Harvey Oswald.

Hammock Parties 12-24-2023 04:00 PM

Also the analysis of the photo on LIFE was quite interesting. No question that photo is fake.

Stryker 12-24-2023 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 17291937)

That was a very good movie. Glad you finally got around to seeing it.

Stryker 12-24-2023 07:56 PM

Speaking of which, I got up early this a.m. before in-laws coming over for Christmas and watched "Beverly Hills Cop". Had not seen that movie in forever! Guess I needed a freshen up so I can look forward to the new one coming out next year on Netflix. Fun watch as I had remembered. :thumb:

crayzkirk 12-25-2023 04:25 AM

Quote:

I thought it was okay; kept waiting for something to happen or some explanation as to what or who was causing it. Probably a lot more realistic than what most end of the world movies are like. Slow descent into chaos.

DJJasonp 12-25-2023 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 17295988)
Also the analysis of the photo on LIFE was quite interesting. No question that photo is fake.

Careful, that’s a dog whistle for zedong

Hammock Parties 12-27-2023 01:27 PM

Wow. I learned so much last night. I had a basic understanding of the Cuban Missile Crisis but not how complicated it became and how truly dangerous it was.

We really came incredibly close to nuclear war. The Kennedys and especially Adlai Stevenson are American heroes for being the coolest heads in the White House. The scene with Stevenson in the Security Council is almost verbatim what happened IRL.

The Costner character is complete bullshit unfortunately but a fine enough analogy for White House Counsel Ted Sorensen.

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PqM102xIbIs" title="Thirteen Days OFFICIAL TRAILER (Kevin Costner, Bruce Greenwood)" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bowser 12-27-2023 01:29 PM

Good movie, I had completely forgotten about it.

Bruce Greenwood is the definition of "underrated actor".

Cheater5 12-27-2023 01:44 PM

Allow me to shed a little different historical light on the Cuban Missile Crisis. The whole fiasco began as a major US intelligence failure in that the missiles were already there and ready before the US had a clue. Those missiles could take out everything from Texas to DC quicker than the US could mount any kind of response, if only the Soviets decided to pull the trigger and blow us away.

Kennedy's first response was to dither for a week and not tell the media or even the military that a quarter of the country's population had a big unstoppable nuclear bullseye on it. After diddling for a week, JFK announced the situation to the world, threatened to respond to missiles from Cuba with bombers over Moscow (without being clear as to who would be sending them with the whole US government drifting downwind in an ash cloud), and to enforce a naval blockade of Cuba, which in itself was technically an act of war. When the Russians agreed to pull the missiles out of Cuba, JFK was advertised as a strong young hero who saved his country. What got left out of the media hype was how JFK almost got the USA vaporized and wound up making the country weaker.

First, the Russian freighters hauling more missiles to Cuba which turned around and went home were escorted by a half dozen Soviet diesel subs. As part of the blockade enforcement, former naval officer JFK ordered those subs persecuted mercilessly by our ASW assets. Those subs were constantly harassed by subs, ships, and aircraft until they gave up trying to hide and just proceeded to Cuba or back home on the surface. What the Americans did not know (again, intelligence failure) was that each of those boats carried among other armaments two nuclear torpedoes, and that the Soviet command/control protocol for nuclear release bore no semblance of similarity to ours. Those young submarine commanders had complete autonomy to initiate nuclear warfare on their own against the USA if they felt threatened by an act of war. Our harassment of their subs in international waters to enforce an illegal blockade was an act of war, but fortunately for us all six Russian sub commanders acted prudently and held their fire when the POTUS acted foolishly. I see this as roughly parallel to recent threats to launch airstrikes on Russian manned air defenses as if there would be nothing to worry about from the Russian nuclear arsenal afterwards.

Second, the negotiating chip which convinced Kruschev to remove his missiles from Cuba was Kennedy's promise to remove the US missiles from Turkey, from whence the USA had a nuclear advantage similar to negotiating with a gun to Kruschev's head. The missiles in Turkey predated the arrival of Soviet missiles in Cuba. By withdrawing missiles from Cuba in return for a parallel US withdrawal from Turkey, Kruschev removed the Turkish threat to his country at no real cost. Kruschev was the shrewd negotiator, not JFK. I see this as parallel to the victory claim by POTUS that he forced Assad to hand over his WMDs to Russia while ignoring the new flood of Russian military hardware into Syria to enable more effective killing of rebels and civilians with explosives instead of fickle chemicals.

Third, while the USA did withdraw missiles from Turkey, no provision was made to ensure that the Soviet missiles in Cuba actually went anywhere other than out of the view of our spy planes. I see this as the equivalent as declaring victory based on a handover of chemical weapons that no US observer witnessed, or may happen in the form of swapping out older and less effective chems for new and better ones. With the new influx of Russian arms, and quietly keeping the chems or even upgrading them would retain what little strategic deterrent Syria has against Israeli nuclear weapons.

Fourth, the USA fundamentally misunderstood Soviet combat doctrine. Even up through the mid-1980s, the Americans clung to the fantasy that nuclear warfare would be a gradually developing thing, beginning with limited use of tactical weapons by one side out of desperation, responded to with theater range weapons of larger scale before progressing to ICBMs after a breakdown of political negotiations. The American belief in this fantasy was so strong that the limited attempts at an anti-ICBM system were deployed to protect our missile silos against a surprise first strike. The Russians deployed their anti-ICBM attempts to protect cities, not silos, because they intended their silos to be empty from the moment a war started. We thought their MiG-25 which defected to Japan was laughably inept because its electronics were built around old school vacuum tubes, but the Russians built it that way on purpose because tubes are impervious to EMP effects, and they intended to battlefield to be nuclear from the very beginning. The US superiority in delicate electronic sensors did little to impress the Soviets because they focused on superiority in things that would withstand all but a nearby nuclear detonation - infantry, armor, artillery, aircraft dedicated to ground attack or visual dogfighting, unguided rockets, and simple transport vehicles containing no sensitive electronics at all. That "nuke 'em first then conquer then with what you've got left" mentality was misunderstood and underestimated by a POTUS who cavalierly committed acts of war.

Apologize for pissing on this movie recommendation, but the parallels from that era's crises to the ones we face today are obvious. So much misunderstanding or outright ignorance of Russian/Soviet doctrine by an administration that refuses to think ahead and act clearly.

AdolfOliverBush 12-27-2023 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 17295573)

I love JFK. It has one of the best casts and some of the best editing you'll ever see in a movie, but keep in mind that much of that movie is fiction, by Oliver Stone's own admission. The Donald Sutherland character, for example, didn't exist in real life.

Hammock Parties 12-27-2023 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 17303460)
Good movie, I had completely forgotten about it.

Bruce Greenwood is the definition of "underrated actor".

Yeah there's great respect for his subdued portrayal of JFK.

Compared to...

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/22z4cQVWKRg" title="Shot Daaaaahhn" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hammock Parties 12-27-2023 02:00 PM

Quote:

What the Americans did not know (again, intelligence failure) was that each of those boats carried among other armaments two nuclear torpedoes, and that the Soviet command/control protocol for nuclear release bore no semblance of similarity to ours. Those young submarine commanders had complete autonomy to initiate nuclear warfare on their own against the USA if they felt threatened by an act of war. Our harassment of their subs in international waters to enforce an illegal blockade was an act of war, but fortunately for us all six Russian sub commanders acted prudently and held their fire when the POTUS acted foolishly
Yes, this part was fascinating, too. They definitely glossed this over in the movie.

Quote:

Running out of air, the Soviet submarine was surrounded by American warships and desperately needed to surface. An argument broke out among three officers aboard B-59, including submarine captain Valentin Savitsky, political officer Ivan Semyonovich Maslennikov, and Deputy brigade commander Captain 2nd rank (US Navy Commander rank equivalent) Vasily Arkhipov.

An exhausted Savitsky became furious and ordered that the nuclear torpedo on board be made combat ready. Accounts differ about whether Arkhipov convinced Savitsky not to make the attack or whether Savitsky himself finally concluded that the only reasonable choice left open to him was to come to the surface.

During the conference, McNamara stated that nuclear war had come much closer than people had thought. Thomas Blanton, director of the National Security Archive, said, "A guy called Vasily Arkhipov saved the world."

BWillie 12-27-2023 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 17303458)
Wow. I learned so much last night. I had a basic understanding of the Cuban Missile Crisis but not how complicated it became and how truly dangerous it was.

We really came incredibly close to nuclear war. The Kennedys and especially Adlai Stevenson are American heroes for being the coolest heads in the White House. The scene with Stevenson in the Security Council is almost verbatim what happened IRL.

The Costner character is complete bullshit unfortunately but a fine enough analogy for White House Counsel Ted Sorensen.

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PqM102xIbIs" title="Thirteen Days OFFICIAL TRAILER (Kevin Costner, Bruce Greenwood)" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Learning alot about history....from movies.

Hammock Parties 12-27-2023 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17303613)
Learning alot about history....from movies.

I hope you watch the movie and enjoy it. ROFL

We need more American heroes today like JFK and RFK and Adlai Stevenson. Were they perfect? No. But someone out there thought they were worthy of being lionized.

Instead we're stuck with Bidens, Schiffs and AOCs.

Hammock Parties 12-28-2023 01:14 PM

No Way Out with Kevin Costner! Awesome movie, great twist! The movie that made Costner a star! And Sean Young's TITS!

I'm on a Roger Donaldson kick after watching Thirteen Days. His films definitely have a certain something that keeps you glued to the screen. Almost a subdued visceralism, like a diet Paul Verhoeven.

Next I'll be watching The Bounty, I know the score is legendary.

BigRichard 12-29-2023 08:07 PM

Usually anything with Michelle Yeoh is a going to be pretty good.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oU8f8QrUCOM?si=dEap6B9pElRvxqxZ" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Msmith 12-30-2023 03:22 PM

Saw Wanka. Decent movie with original plot. It adopts the songs from the first movie. The Loompa Loompa was restored back to the original one as well.

Hammock Parties 12-30-2023 07:04 PM

The Bounty - 1984

Such an amazing story. I knew it was a famous story about a mutiny. I didn't know the ****ing descendants of the mutineers are alive today on Pitcairn Island, or that the dudes they kicked off the boat ate one bite of bread a day for weeks until they reached civilization almost dead.

Command performances by Sir Anthony Hopkins, Mel Gibson and native tits.

The Butler - 2015

Interesting "true" story about a black butler in the white house, who used to pick cotton in the 1920s and saw his daddy shot dead by slavers in the fields.

A lot of it was made up garbage, but it was interesting seeing the different perspectives on race wars between older generations of blacks and newer ones.

Also everyone who played a President was fun to watch. Alan Rickman as Reagan was cast against type and wonderful to watch.

DJJasonp 12-30-2023 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush (Post 17303487)
I love JFK. It has one of the best casts and some of the best editing you'll ever see in a movie, but keep in mind that much of that movie is fiction, by Oliver Stone's own admission. The Donald Sutherland character, for example, didn't exist in real life.

That is completely false.

“Mr X” was/is Fletcher Prouty.

And link to stone saying it’s mostly fiction?

DJJasonp 12-30-2023 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 17304825)
No Way Out with Kevin Costner! Awesome movie, great twist! The movie that made Costner a star! And Sean Young's TITS!

I'm on a Roger Donaldson kick after watching Thirteen Days. His films definitely have a certain something that keeps you glued to the screen. Almost a subdued visceralism, like a diet Paul Verhoeven.

Next I'll be watching The Bounty, I know the score is legendary.

No way out is one of my all time favorites and one of the biggest mind blowing endings.

If your sticking with Costner, the untouchables is in my top 3 all time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThaVirus 12-31-2023 09:23 AM

Haunting in Venice was fun enough if you enjoy a whodunnit

MarkDavis'Haircut 12-31-2023 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 17303645)
I hope you watch the movie and enjoy it. ROFL

We need more American heroes today like JFK and RFK and Adlai Stevenson. Were they perfect? No. But someone out there thought they were worthy of being lionized.

Instead we're stuck with Bidens, Schiffs and AOCs.

They are all terrible.

Rausch 01-01-2024 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJJasonp (Post 17308054)
That is completely false.

“Mr X” was/is Fletcher Prouty.

And link to stone saying it’s mostly fiction?

Most of Stone's flicks are pure fiction. Great movies but pure fiction.

DJJasonp 01-01-2024 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 17313210)
Most of Stone's flicks are pure fiction. Great movies but pure fiction.

Stone has done a ton of work on the JFK assasination.

trailer for his updated documentary on it:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KH3F7rT_eNQ?si=7NNqMifytiDlvaCp" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hammock Parties 01-01-2024 01:19 PM

Bridge of Spies...fascinating look into the intelligence community.

ChiliConCarnage 01-01-2024 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 17308721)
Haunting in Venice was fun enough if you enjoy a whodunnit

Agreed, if you liked the previous films, you'll probably like this one as well. Nothing spectacular but a decent watch.

ThaVirus 01-04-2024 02:16 PM

Damn, The Creator on Hulu was such a good watch. Really tugged at the ol’ heart strings.

Bowser 01-04-2024 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 17318560)
Damn, The Creator on Hulu was such a good watch. Really tugged at the ol’ heart strings.

Was planning on firing that one up tonight

Buehler445 01-04-2024 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 17318560)

Really? I wasn’t going to catch it because it looked like it was trying too hard. Maybe I’ll fire that one up.

ThaVirus 01-04-2024 10:08 PM

It definitely did take itself seriously. And I’m sure the story was some sort of allegory for racism or the war in the Middle East or something but whatever.

It looked beautiful, the child actor who played Alphie did an incredible job, and I was intrigued by the world building.

Spoiler!

Bowser 01-05-2024 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 17319086)
It definitely did take itself seriously. And I’m sure the story was some sort of allegory for racism or the war in the Middle East or something but whatever.

It looked beautiful, the child actor who played Alphie did an incredible job, and I was intrigued by the world building.

Spoiler!

Agree with all of this. My takeaway was it was a shot at American Imperialism with a dose of white nationalism thrown in for good measure. Basically, it was a Hollywood film made in 2023.

But like you said, it was a gorgeous film with solid effects, and it largely kept my attention throughout. Alphie was the highlight, and I didn't expect the emotional hit at the end.

BigRichard 01-17-2024 06:19 AM

I thought this looked pretty good.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3PsP8MFH8p0?si=Jkjw1f9xXjw0yZbD" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheater5 01-18-2024 12:10 PM

The Society of Snow on Netflix.

This is the best movie I have seen regarding the 1972 Andes plane crash carrying 45 people from Uruguay to Chile. I was very impressed with how they filmed it and also the attention to detail and authenticity. After watching it, I think it's much better than anything that Hollywood could have produced. Definitely worth your time and a good break from CGI superhero / fantasy bullshit.

Even though this trailer is with subtitles, I watched it dubbed in English and it was great.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pDak4qLyF4Q?si=gjusCNJjD9faADKN" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rydogg58 01-18-2024 09:20 PM

We watched The Holdovers this past weekend because it was on our brand new Peacock subscription. I didn't have much desire to watch at first, but damn this movie was so sneaky good. Giamatti was excellent in this, and the progressive relationship with Mary and Angus just drew me in. For me it was easily the best movie of 2023.

DJJasonp 01-19-2024 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 17343000)
I thought this looked pretty good.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3PsP8MFH8p0?si=Jkjw1f9xXjw0yZbD" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just saw this trailer yesterday. I’m definitely in on this. And “ready or not” (same director) was fantastic!

mikeyis4dcats. 01-22-2024 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rydogg58 (Post 17345307)
We watched The Holdovers this past weekend because it was on our brand new Peacock subscription. I didn't have much desire to watch at first, but damn this movie was so sneaky good. Giamatti was excellent in this, and the progressive relationship with Mary and Angus just drew me in. For me it was easily the best movie of 2023.

yeah we stumbled over it. Good flick.

Frazod 01-26-2024 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17266483)

I forgot all about this, and judging by the reviews, that's a good thing. The IMDb ratings are terrible. General consensus seems to be "great idea, horrible execution."

BigBeauford 02-01-2024 09:13 AM

I really am not into the newst MI movie. It's just too goofy, and some of the sequences drag on way too long. Haley Atwell is an absolute dime, but she wasn't great here.

Stryker 02-01-2024 08:26 PM

India's version of John Wick?

Monkey Man

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4ACGMuot29Q?si=EBNjYWjmMPPtOiVe" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shiver Me Timbers 02-03-2024 04:53 PM

Watched "Dumb Money" on a flight today. Pretty entertaining.

Buehler445 02-03-2024 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiver Me Timbers (Post 17381684)
Watched "Dumb Money" on a flight today. Pretty entertaining.

Meh. Fell flat for me.

Coogs 02-04-2024 09:32 AM

My wife and I went to "Boys in the Boat" last night. Totally enjoyed the movie.

Frazod 02-04-2024 12:30 PM

Finally got around to watching Ford vs. Ferrari last night. Damn that was good.

Perhaps the funniest part was Jason Bourne fighting Batman, only as real middle-aged men. LMAO

BWillie 02-04-2024 08:17 PM

Watched Dark Waters today with Mark Ruffalo and Anne Hathaway. Highly recommend