ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cardinals ***Official 2015 STL Cardinals Thread*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=289085)

raybec 4 05-06-2015 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11482357)
Brc, at this point, Bourjos could do what Heyward is doing right Now in the field and at the dish especially.

Love Bourjos speed but he's not going to make the throws Heyward makes

BigRedChief 05-06-2015 12:05 PM

Heard Mo doing an interview on the radio today.

Marco will probably have two rehab starts

Talked about Reyes.......... Throwing 94-97mph in the 6th-7th inning. He has improved his work ethic. Some of the current staff is working with him to teach him what he needs to do to have a successful long career. Mo said there is no one to compare him to. We have never had anyone with his skill set on our MLB staffs or farm system. When pressed on his ceiling he said....."On one of the best pitching staffs in MLB, he would be the #1 starter."

DJ's left nut 05-06-2015 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 11482852)
Heard Mo doing an interview on the radio today.

Marco will probably have two rehab starts

Talked about Reyes.......... Throwing 94-97mph in the 6th-7th inning. He has improved his work ethic. Some of the current staff is working with him to teach him what he needs to do to have a successful long career. Mo said there is no one to compare him to. We have never had anyone with his skill set on our MLB staffs or farm system. When pressed on his ceiling he said....."On one of the best pitching staffs in MLB, he would be the #1 starter."

Yeah - the kid's going to be damn good.

I wouldn't trade him for Hamels. Hamels and all of Hamels contract? Sure, I'd probably do that. But there's just not enough value added with his contract in tow to make it worth dealing the only true ace-level prospect we have in this system.

The Cards aren't going to suddenly start putting up 5 runs/gm - the guys we have and the guys behind them in the system just aren't those kinds of hitters. They're going to have to win by simply keeping guys off the board.

If we can answer their Bryant with a Jose Fernandez kind of talent, then we've neutralized their best shot. Sure, it's not as sexy as big flies, but it wins ballgames.

We have Carpenter in his prime for 2 more seasons. Behind him we have Wong and Adams at the big league level with Piscotty as an okay prospect and Grichuk as an interesting but flawed player. After Holliday/Molina are no longer difference makers and Carpenter begins his decline phase, this team's going to be pretty lean offensively in fairly short order. They'll have to win games on the arms of Wacha, Martinez, Reyes, Marco and Kaminsky.

I said he could be the next Matt Harvey and I absolutely believe it. You can't deal Reyes.

O.city 05-06-2015 12:25 PM

Don't worry dj, by then Heyward will be the man. :)

BigRedChief 05-06-2015 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 11482872)
Yeah - the kid's going to be damn good.

I wouldn't trade him for Hamels. Hamels and all of Hamels contract? Sure, I'd probably do that. But there's just not enough value added with his contract in tow to make it worth dealing the only true ace-level prospect we have in this system.

The Cards aren't going to suddenly start putting up 5 runs/gm - the guys we have and the guys behind them in the system just aren't those kinds of hitters. They're going to have to win by simply keeping guys off the board.

If we can answer their Bryant with a Jose Fernandez kind of talent, then we've neutralized their best shot. Sure, it's not as sexy as big flies, but it wins ballgames.

We have Carpenter in his prime for 2 more seasons. Behind him we have Wong and Adams at the big league level with Piscotty as an okay prospect and Grichuk as an interesting but flawed player. After Holliday/Molina are no longer difference makers and Carpenter begins his decline phase, this team's going to be pretty lean offensively in fairly short order. They'll have to win games on the arms of Wacha, Martinez, Reyes, Marco and Kaminsky.

I said he could be the next Matt Harvey and I absolutely believe it. You can't deal Reyes.

I've been asking just what are we going to do in 2017?

Holiday/Peralta/Molina/Waino are done

Lynn gets a big deal or he's gone

Jay, Grichuk, Bourjas, Martinez and Adams rookie deals are up.

Carp is on the decline.

That said..........I'm not in favor of a win now at all costs with our two year window. Trade Reyes/Kaminsky for a top level pitcher now.

DJ's left nut 05-06-2015 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 11482957)
I've been asking just what are we going to do in 2017?

Holiday/Peralta/Molina/Waino are done

Lynn gets a big deal or he's gone

Jay, Grichuk, Bourjas, Martinez and Adams rookie deals are up.

Carp is on the decline.

That said..........I'm not in favor of a win now at all costs with our two year window. Trade Reyes/Kaminsky for a top level pitcher now.

I presume you mean "I'm now in favor..." because that sentence is contradictory otherwise.

Personally, I'm in my early 30s still - I'm going to live for a long time yet. Moreover, I've realized that getting to the playoffs is far far more important than having a 100 win ballclub. If you get to the playoffs 4 times with 90 win teams, you'll be the hot/lucky team and win a pennant in one of them. If you get to the playoffs twice with 100 win teams...well the odds say you're still likely not going to win the pennant. Once you get there, the difference in the teams is largely inconsequential.

I want to maximize the number of times we're in the dance. Selling out to give yourself an incrementally better shot at success over the next 2 years while all but assuring you have a much smaller chance of even getting there over the next 5 is just a bad gamble.

I'm not 80 and I'll have decades of watching this team ahead of me. I'm not okay with pissing away several years and scorching the earth for the instant gratification of having a 35% chance of making the WS instead of a 30% chance for the next 2 seasons.

seclark 05-06-2015 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 11483499)
I presume you mean "I'm now in favor..." because that sentence is contradictory otherwise.

Personally, I'm in my early 30s still - I'm going to live for a long time yet. Moreover, I've realized that getting to the playoffs is far far more important than having a 100 win ballclub. If you get to the playoffs 4 times with 90 win teams, you'll be the hot/lucky team and win a pennant in one of them. If you get to the playoffs twice with 100 win teams...well the odds say you're still likely not going to win the pennant. Once you get there, the difference in the teams is largely inconsequential.

I want to maximize the number of times we're in the dance. Selling out to give yourself an incrementally better shot at success over the next 2 years while all but assuring you have a much smaller chance of even getting there over the next 5 is just a bad gamble.

I'm not 80 and I'll have decades of watching this team ahead of me. I'm not okay with pissing away several years and scorching the earth for the instant gratification of having a 35% chance of making the WS instead of a 30% chance for the next 2 seasons.

I'm w/dj except for the early 30's part.
sec

O.city 05-06-2015 03:24 PM

I would tend to think Reyes, especially with the trade of Miller and Jenkins, is untouchable.

BigRedChief 05-06-2015 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 11483499)
I presume you mean "I'm now in favor..." because that sentence is contradictory otherwise..

I'm not in favor of blowing the future, for a 2 year window. All those things I listed are just facts. The Cardinals and Mo have proven they know how to put together a club.

I've seen my team win 4 world series's. Including seeing one won live with my son a 5th generation Cardinal fan. Thats more than the average fan will ever experience. So, I have no expediency in my fandom.

I agree there is no need to be average for 5 years just to give us a better % chance these next two years.

DJ's left nut 05-06-2015 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 11483575)
I'm not in favor of blowing the future, for a 2 year window. All those things I listed are just facts. The Cardinals and Mo have proven they know how to put together a club.

I've seen my team win 4 world series's. Including seeing one won live with my son a 5th generation Cardinal fan. Thats more than the average fan will ever experience. So, I have no expediency in my fandom.

I agree there is no need to be average for 5 years just to give us a better % chance these next two years.

Ah.

So:

"That said..........I'm not in favor of a win now at all costs with our two year window. Trade Reyes/Kaminsky for a top level pitcher now"

probably should have had a semi-colon where the period is? Or do you not believe that Trading Reyes/Kaminsky is a win now at all costs move?

BigRedChief 05-06-2015 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 11483599)
Ah.

So:

"That said..........I'm not in favor of a win now at all costs with our two year window. Trade Reyes/Kaminsky for a top level pitcher now"

probably should have had a semi-colon where the period is? Or do you not believe that Trading Reyes/Kaminsky is a win now at all costs move?

Should just put a "or trade our top talent". Trading a Reyes is defintely a win now **** the future move.

jd1020 05-06-2015 06:32 PM

Seems like a pretty generously wide strike zone tonight.

jd1020 05-06-2015 06:40 PM

Who needs a challenge anyway, right?

Mi_chief_fan 05-06-2015 06:57 PM

"Tying run at 2nd base, Pete Kozma up to bat."

ugh.....

jd1020 05-06-2015 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mi_chief_fan (Post 11483991)
"Tying run at 2nd base, Pete Kozma up to bat."

ugh.....

Can't be as bad as what the Cubs do to **** shit up and allow the first run to not only get on base but score from 1st.

It's confirmed that Lester can't throw to or catch at 1st.