ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Falcons taking calls on Julio Jones (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=338036)

wazu 04-26-2021 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 15645165)
Thus the question marks. You'd notice them if you paid attention.

Fair enough. I've just seen a lot of comments in this thread from people who have this perception that Julio Jones can't stay healthy. He puts up monster numbers almost every year. And he does that while having a "questionable" designation. This causes stress for fantasy owners but it doesn't seem to matter on gameday. Last year was his standout "injury" problem year where he only played in 9 games. (But still out produced Hardman by like 200 yards.)

TomBarndtsTwin 04-26-2021 09:46 AM

Since there seems to be a lot of comparing Jones to Watkins going on in this thread, just posting for reference:

https://www.nfl.com/players/sammy-watkins/stats/career

https://www.nfl.com/players/julio-jones/stats/career

One of these things is not like the other . . . . . . .

Rainbarrel 04-26-2021 09:51 AM

Throwing two balls at the same time will not get you on the refs good side.

ToxSocks 04-26-2021 09:51 AM

Jones gets the stereotype of being often injured because he is often injured.

It just doesn't always cost him games so it doesn't show on the stats sheet. But he's seemingly always dealing with nagging soft-tissue injuries that he plays through.

With that said....many nagging soft tissue injuries or not....the dude still plays and still produces. At least until he doesn't...which could happen at anytime. It's certainly a calculated risk.

pugsnotdrugs19 04-26-2021 10:11 AM

I’d do it for sure but at a certain compensation cost that probably is lower than he may go for.

Chris Meck 04-26-2021 10:16 AM

I'm not sure it's a good idea money-wise.

I'm also not sure that Jones would want to come here and be the #3 option, which is what he would be. It's also not a great offense to walk into if you're planning on upping your value in a year. It's complicated, and you're not going to put up big numbers right away.

Unless he wants to come and get a ring and just contribute, I doubt it.

IowaHawkeyeChief 04-26-2021 10:17 AM

hard pass unless they actually cut him, which may happen if no offers are given for that salary hit, then if he wants a one year prove it deal to get a ring, sure. The pats didn't have a dynasty by signing players in the last years of their prime, well, unless they were cheap...

Otter 04-26-2021 10:22 AM

No thanks, Chiefs just cut Sammy Jones. Don't need to replace him.

wazu 04-26-2021 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 15645226)

:rolleyes:

ForeverIowan 04-26-2021 10:28 AM

JFC with the people comparing Julio Jones to Sammy Watkins. Julio is a future HOFer. Sammy is a #2 WR in this league who cant stay healthy. You absolutely make a move for him if the Falcons are taking calls.

TomBarndtsTwin 04-26-2021 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 15645226)

Comparing Jones to Watkins is a bit of a disservice.

Minus last year for Jones (the outlier year), one guy plays through injuries, one guy doesn't.

The numbers from the last 5 years speak for themselves.

Not advocating for the Chiefs to trade for him and take on that big cap hit, but calling him Sammy Watkins is pretty damn disrespectful considering what he has done in his career.

He typically plays through nagging injuries unlike 'wounded vag Sam' (yes, that's his actual Native American name)

Dante84 04-26-2021 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief (Post 15645218)
hard pass unless they actually cut him, which may happen if no offers are given for that salary hit, then if he wants a one year prove it deal to get a ring, sure. The pats didn't have a dynasty by signing players in the last years of their prime, well, unless they were cheap...

Someone will trade for him, no way he gets cut.

Dante84 04-26-2021 10:41 AM

The recency bias (1 injured year) + Chiefs fans' PTSD of injured players (Schwartz, Watkins, Berry, etc..) is really clouding some judgement in here, I think.

Is there a valid reason for concern with him coming off a hamstring injury at age 32? Sure, so evaluate and don't get over your skis on trade compensation. Brett won't do that, so I'm not worried.

Is he Sammy Watkins, or even in the same realm? No way, man.

htismaqe 04-26-2021 10:44 AM

The difference NOW is that Jones plays through injuries and Watkins doesn't.

That doesn't change the fact that Jones is oft-injured because he absolutely is. And while the willingness to play through them may always be there, there will come a time when Jone's 30+ body simply won't be able to do that anymore. Those nagging injuries will eventually become issues that result in lost playing time, as we saw last year. These are the types of guys we should be avoiding, not inviting.

O.city 04-26-2021 10:45 AM

A pick (probably a 2) and his cap hits, at his age?

Nah.