ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Fumbling into the end zone (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=336451)

KC_Connection 01-19-2021 06:04 PM

Fumbling on the 1 yard line is literally the worst thing you can do in football. It should be penalized.

Why Not? 01-19-2021 06:08 PM

Yeah not only do I not have a problem with the rule, I think it's a great rule! It's the ultimate risk vs reward. Take the ball where you advanced it and live to fight another down or 4 depending on the scenario, stretch for the TD and if you get any part of the ball over that line...you get the glory, but if you stretch for it and it gets knocked out and out of the end zone....**** you, you suck! It's how most things should be.

Beef Supreme 01-19-2021 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyecopeland (Post 15491939)
I'm of the mindset that the sideline should be ruled the same throughout. If a player reaches for a first down and fumbles and the ball goes out of bounds they get the ball where it was fumbled. I think it should be the same at the endzone. Now if the ball goes out the back of the endzone I could see it being a touchback. Because the defense had lost opportunity to recover the ball since there was less field to get to it.

That's because you're an idiot.

I guess you probably think that if you are backed up in your own endzone and the quarterback takes the snap and fumbles out the side of their own endzone they should get to keep the ball and get it where he fumbled it out of bounds.

The Franchise 01-19-2021 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 15491826)
Did you watch the halftime show on CBS?

Those ****asses were crying whale tears.

They wouldn’t have said shit if we did it.

Megatron96 01-19-2021 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 15492190)
Yeah not only do I not have a problem with the rule, I think it's a great rule! It's the ultimate risk vs reward. Take the ball where you advanced it and live to fight another down or 4 depending on the scenario, stretch for the TD and if you get any part of the ball over that line...you get the glory, but if you stretch for it and it gets knocked out and out of the end zone....**** you, you suck! It's how most things should be.

You've obviously met my ex-wife . . .

Why Not? 01-19-2021 06:12 PM

ROFL
Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 15492195)
You've obviously met my ex-wife . . .

Kman34 01-19-2021 06:12 PM

JFC... Just let the defenses have this one thing..

chiefzilla1501 01-19-2021 06:12 PM

Yeah, the rules can be tweaked. But the people griping about the rule don't consider why it's there. It's there because for decades players would intentionally fumble on desperation plays. A lot of that is solved by the fumble forward rule but not all of it. Coaches will find a way to game this to their advantage.

In this case the defense made a huge play and they should be rewarded. The offense made a mistake. Mistakes shouldn't be rewarded.

Megatron96 01-19-2021 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 15492200)
Yeah, the rules can be tweaked. But the people griping about the rule don't consider why it's there. It's there because for decades players would intentionally fumble on desperation plays. A lot of that is solved by the fumble forward rule but not all of it. Coaches will find a way to game this to their advantage.

In this case the defense made a huge play and they should be rewarded. The offense made a mistake. Mistakes shouldn't be rewarded.

How do you explain Derek Carr then?

digger 01-19-2021 06:15 PM

It's the same as a punt, you lost possession, the other team gets the ball. Changing this rule would bring up all the reasons the rule is in place into play. And that would **** the game even more than this good rule. If he had just tucked we wouldn't be talking about it. They(CLE) got snake bit twice in big games over this.

sd4chiefs 01-19-2021 06:19 PM

I think it is a horrible rule unless it helps the Chiefs win a game.

DanT 01-19-2021 06:22 PM

As I've said earlier, I support the current rule, but just for the sake of informing alternative rules, here's an old webpage that explains the concept of "expected points" and includes a graphic showing expected points for a first down at various field positions. (It's out-of-date, but shouldn't be too far off.)

http://archive.advancedfootballanaly...ed-points.html

A first down for a team at their opponent's 1-yard line is worth about 6 points. If you penalize the team, say, 20 yards but let them keep the ball, the point expectancy would be about 4 points if they are still past the line-to-gain after the penalty was enforced. So, a 1st and 10 from there would be only about a 2-point swing against the fumbling team.

The current rule gives the ball to the opponent at their own 20, which is worth about 0 points for the opponent. So, the current rule basically amounts to a 6-point swing against the fumbling team. Proposed alternative rules that involve letting the fumbling team keep the ball would tend to amount to much smaller swings against the fumbling team.

jdubya 01-19-2021 06:23 PM

Everybody loves the rule until it goes against them lol. It applies to almost all rules.

Beef Supreme 01-19-2021 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdubya (Post 15492220)
Everybody loves the rule until it goes against them lol. It applies to almost all rules.

If that rule went against us, i would be pissed at the dumb mother****er who fumbled, not at the rule.

stevieray 01-19-2021 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 15491986)
Bill Cowturd specifically.

Everyone needs to STFU about changing rules that have been in place forever and that align with the other rules in the game.

Cowher doesn't like the Chiefs.

He picked them to lose at home.

I don't understand the logic of the offense being rewarded for fumbling in this situation.