ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Handy-Man Corner (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=99538)

RJ 04-05-2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 7541008)
I believe that RJ is a flooring guy. You might try sending a PM.

Right you are, sir. Notorious is also in the wood flooring business.

NewChief 04-05-2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ (Post 7541054)
Dude, do NOT use Orange Glow or Murphy's or anything like that if it's a factory finished bamboo. Is your micro fiber pad a Bona-KemI? If so, keep using it and don't worry about an occasional streak. The Bona won't hurt your floor, the other stuff will.

Also, have you checked the manufacturer's website? Most of them have a care and maintenance page. That's the best advice to go buy. Follow their instructions and you won't have to worry about voiding the warranty on the finish.

FYI, I seem to talk to a few folks every year who are trying to figure out how to un-**** up their wood floors after cleaning them with the wrong products.

Like I said, I stuck with the plain microfiber sweeper/mop (from Target) and nothing but small squirts of water to dampen it here and there to this point. I've stayed away from any and all solutions or chemicals due to what I read online.

I'll definitely look up the bamboo maker's website as well. Thanks!

NewChief 05-03-2011 08:22 PM

Weird question, but that's what CP is for:

With our new addition, I have a massive wall. If you knew my wife, you'd know that a massive wall means a massive piece of art which means a massive hit to my bank account. I about have her talked into hanging some pieces of driftwood that washed up at my parent's house (or as I call it to make it sound more attractive to her: "native, hand-selected driftwood from my ancestral home") as art instead of buying a piece.

Anyway, I'm thinking power wash the shit then hang it. Anyone have other ideas? I don't think it needs varnish or anything on it, since it's going to be inside.

Here's the basic look (though our pieces are about 12' long):
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_pWBNTgsZgD...179%5B1%5D.jpg

Bugeater 05-03-2011 08:29 PM

How solid is it? When I think of driftwood, I think soft and a powerwasher might tear it up.

NewChief 05-03-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 7617712)
How solid is it? When I think of driftwood, I think soft and a powerwasher might tear it up.

Good question. I drug it out of the lake a couple of weeks ago during low water while we were there for Easter. I didn't pay any too much attention, but I'm going to pick it up tomorrow afternoon. It felt fairly solid still, but you're right that the outside layers might get torn up.

Phobia 05-03-2011 09:12 PM

I would apply a flat spray poly personally. That driftwood patina is what makes driftwood beautiful. Deep cleaning it would be detrimental from where I sit. But I would absolutely do something to seal it up.

Bugeater 05-03-2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 7617737)
Good question. I drug it out of the lake a couple of weeks ago during low water while we were there for Easter. I didn't pay any too much attention, but I'm going to pick it up tomorrow afternoon. It felt fairly solid still, but you're right that the outside layers might get torn up.

If you're happy with the color, just hose any dirt off of it and call it good. If it's grayed out and you want to restore more of the natural color, then powerwashing would be good but you'll definitely want to exercise caution with it.

jspchief 05-03-2011 09:41 PM

Even a spray poly is going to alter the color a bit. I'd avoid any finish, or at the very least test an inconspicuous area.

notorious 05-03-2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ (Post 7541058)
Right you are, sir. Notorious is also in the wood flooring business.

I heard my name. What's going on?

Phobia 05-03-2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 7618051)
Even a spray poly is going to alter the color a bit. I'd avoid any finish, or at the very least test an inconspicuous area.

I'm concerned about organisms residing inside of the wood and then cleaning it in the future. You seal the boogers in and make it easier to clean and avoid incidental stains while running the risk of darkening the wood an indistinguishable shade or two. I take the risk at my house.

notorious 05-03-2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ (Post 7541054)
Dude, do NOT use Orange Glow or Murphy's or anything like that if it's a factory finished bamboo. Is your micro fiber pad a Bona-KemI? If so, keep using it and don't worry about an occasional streak. The Bona won't hurt your floor, the other stuff will.

Also, have you checked the manufacturer's website? Most of them have a care and maintenance page. That's the best advice to go buy. Follow their instructions and you won't have to worry about voiding the warranty on the finish.

FYI, I seem to talk to a few folks every year who are trying to figure out how to un-**** up their wood floors after cleaning them with the wrong products.

Homerun RJ.

Get some Bona Kemi Swedish floor cleaner and never look back.

Take that Orange Glo and set it on fire. That shit will make a floor look good short term, but it will completely **** it in the long run. Murphy's will kill any chance of doing a screen and recoat down the line.

Bona Kemi. Bona Kemi. Bona Kemi.

TimeForWasp 05-03-2011 11:39 PM

Grease spots on a concrete shop floor

sprinkle dry quickcrete and rub it in with your foot and sweep up the excess.

stumppy 05-04-2011 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsNow (Post 7618304)
sprinkle dry quickcrete and rub it in with your foot and sweep up the excess.

Or try the same thing with a little powdered laundry detergent.

Iowanian 07-07-2011 08:00 PM

latest project

2 Attachment(s)
since this spring, i've been building a small cabin for my family on a small private lake a few miles from my house.

It's not quite done, but we've been staying. Here are a couple of photos.

Iowanian 07-08-2011 07:33 AM

I'd like to make a couple of hanging lights out of old oil lanterns or coleman lantern. Is there any particular "right way" to do that other than cutting up the top and mounting it around a porcelin fixture?