ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports ***Official Bushwood Country Club Lounge*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=184595)

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-12-2013 04:39 PM

What an epic choke. Only Sergio.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-12-2013 04:40 PM

This is why I argued against the Hot Hand Fallacy in that other thread.

Braincase 05-12-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9677640)
What an epic choke. Only Sergio.

Sergio van de Velde...

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-12-2013 04:43 PM

It could be worse. Some years back they had a World's Worst Golfer contest at Sawgrass, and this dude put 30 straight in the water, ended up with like a 63 on the hole.

KC_Connection 05-12-2013 04:43 PM

Check out the OP in this thread and its mention of Sergio. LMAO

Some things never change.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 05-12-2013 04:45 PM

Linginturd has putted terribly. Career scrub

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-12-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 9677645)
Sergio van de Velde...

Totally different. Van de Velde's choke was one of horrific luck and awful club selection. That bounce off the grandstand is one of the worst breaks in the history of golf.

Sergio just gagged over two straight short irons from perfect lies.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-12-2013 04:48 PM

Here's the World's Worst Golfer playing 17 again:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i_3G8_VNfPw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-12-2013 04:50 PM

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Sergio being Sergio.

Braincase 05-12-2013 04:51 PM

And he's wet on 18. Looks like it's Tiger FTW.

BlackHelicopters 05-12-2013 04:51 PM

Sergio, still an ass.

Braincase 05-12-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9677672)
Sergio, still an ass.

How will he blame Tiger for this?

TribalElder 05-12-2013 04:59 PM

Sergio didn't run up and leap to see the splash.

disappointing

he's a douche

BlackHelicopters 05-12-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 9677681)
How will he blame Tiger for this?

Tiger isn't nice to me.

Braincase 05-12-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9677694)
Tiger isn't nice to me.

And... Tiger walks away with 1.7 million bucks. I have a feeling Lindsey Vonn will be treating him right tonight.

BlackHelicopters 05-12-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 9677738)
And... Tiger walks away with 1.7 million bucks. I have a feeling Lindsey Vonn will be treating him right tonight.

Anal

MahiMike 05-13-2013 02:25 PM

Well that sucked. Glad I left early. Now I can't turn on Golf Channel all summer. Don't wanna hear the verbal blow jobs headed Tiger's way.

Golf was better when Tiger was out of it. They even twisted the Sergio saga.

KC_Connection 05-13-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 9679072)
Well that sucked. Glad I left early. Now I can't turn on Golf Channel all summer. Don't wanna hear the verbal blow jobs headed Tiger's way.

Sorry, but Tiger Woods is golf. He's the best player ever to play the game and for a period of 16 years now has shown why.

Sergio Garcia, on the other hand, is a whining waste of potential. A headcase of a player who should probably keep his mouth shut next time.

OnTheWarpath15 05-13-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 9679072)

Your golf takes are just as bad as your football takes.

Tiger deserves all the "verbal blow jobs" the media are willing to give. Dude is crushing the FedEx standings, and has won 4 tournaments quicker than any other time in his career.

Just because you're butthurt that the mental midget you wanted to win did exactly what everyone expected him to do - choke, and then whine about it - doesn't make yesterday any less spectacular.

Sergio's not a victim - he's a ****ing loser with a loser mentality.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-13-2013 05:17 PM

Tiger Woods may end up being the best who has ever played, but he's not there yet.

MahiMike 05-13-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9679183)
Your golf takes are just as bad as your football takes.

Tiger deserves all the "verbal blow jobs" the media are willing to give. Dude is crushing the FedEx standings, and has won 4 tournaments quicker than any other time in his career.

Just because you're butthurt that the mental midget you wanted to win did exactly what everyone expected him to do - choke, and then whine about it - doesn't make yesterday any less spectacular.

Sergio's not a victim - he's a ****ing loser with a loser mentality.

Oh rully? How would you feel if every friggin week the media does nothing but non stop suck Tigers dick? Sure he's good but there are a ton of great players on the tour. Even when Tiger is out of it, they cut to every one of his shots. I hate that fugger.

I enjoy it more when the winner changes every week.

As for Sergio, he is a victim. Of the media. Because they always take Tiger's side. He knew what he was doing when he pulled that club out. Idiot fans have no respect for the other guys.

MahiMike 05-13-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9679164)
Sorry, but Tiger Woods is golf. He's the best player ever to play the game and for a period of 16 years now has shown why.

Sergio Garcia, on the other hand, is a whining waste of potential. A headcase of a player who should probably keep his mouth shut next time.

I dunno. I find it refreshing when these guys actually say what they mean. This guy finally does that and gets dinged for it.

I loved it when he said he was glad him and Tiger weren't playing together on Sunday.

TribalElder 05-13-2013 08:23 PM

I had my worst 9 this year today

Really poor shots. Only a few solid swings.

Hooking everything really sucks

KC_Connection 05-13-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9679402)
Tiger Woods may end up being the best who has ever played, but he's not there yet.

He's going to end up with the most PGA Tour wins by a wide margin. Only time will tell whether he'll beat Jack's majors record, but that's obviously within reach as well. I think you can easily make the argument that he is.

KC_Connection 05-13-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 9679484)
I dunno. I find it refreshing when these guys actually say what they mean. This guy finally does that and gets dinged for it.

I loved it when he said he was glad him and Tiger weren't playing together on Sunday.

Oh, I love when an athlete is honest, but that isn't necessarily a good thing when it makes you seem like a mentally weak whiner.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-13-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9680534)
He's going to end up with the most PGA Tour wins by a wide margin. Only time will tell whether he'll beat Jack's majors record, but that's obviously within reach as well. I think you can easily make the argument that he is.

You can, but the raw numbers argument is a simplistic one that ignores the history of golf and the generational ebb and flow. The truth is that a vast majority of the PGA Tour does not really care if they win tournaments or not. The explosion of junior golf in America and prize money on tour created an entire generation of golfers who are happy with top fives and cashing massive paychecks.

The players years back had to win to eat and that created a much better brand of player. It also created a much more competitive environment.

Tiger is a great player and I can accept the argument that he's the GOAT, but I don't agree with it because he's playing against a lot of guys who don't treat it as a life-and-death situation.

Jack Nicklaus won 18 majors against primary competition like Gary Player, Arnold Palmer, Ray Floyd, Lee Trevino, Tom Watson, Billy Casper, Johnny Miller, Seve Ballesteros, and several others.

The best player of Tiger's generation who isn't him is Mickelson, and his resume pales compared to everyone on that list, save Casper, Miller, and Seve,

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 05-13-2013 10:36 PM

Depth must have been shit though

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-13-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy Was Offsides (Post 9680600)
Depth must have been shit though

The 200th best player in the world wasn't as good, but the top 10 players weren't even a comparison.

Compare this list to one from the 80s, 90s, or 00s.

http://www.golfdigest.com/images/mag...generation.jpg

TimeForWasp 05-13-2013 10:41 PM

John Daly was a big whiner.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 05-13-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9680614)
The 200th best player in the world wasn't as good, but the top 10 players weren't even a comparison.

Compare this list to one from the 80s, 90s, or 00s.

http://www.golfdigest.com/images/mag...generation.jpg

Yeah but there had to be a reason a group was able to separate themselves like that. I've seen some of those leaderboards and it's ridiculous. Jack Nicklaus had 73 top 10s in majors. That doesn't tell me Jack Nicklaus is twice the golfer Tiger is, it tells me the depth was horrid. It was always the sam handful of guys. I wasn't alive though, so who knows. Just seems that way

tk13 05-13-2013 10:46 PM

The win totals are obviously the most important statistic... but people do probably forget how dominant Nicklaus' numbers are. Tiger will probably never quite reach the all-around level of dominance unless he goes off and wins something like 20-25 majors.

Tiger would have to finish in the top 10 in every single major from now until he turned 46 to pass Jack's total of top 10 major finishes. He really has just over half the number of top 3, top 5, and top 25 major finishes as Jack. He'd have to finish top 5 in the next 25 majors to match Jack.

Jerm 05-13-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9677655)
Totally different. Van de Velde's choke was one of horrific luck and awful club selection. That bounce off the grandstand is one of the worst breaks in the history of golf.

Sergio just gagged over two straight short irons from perfect lies.

People tend to forget that...yeah VdV horribly mismanaged that hole but that bounce was such a god awful break...one of top 2 or 3 in golf history.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-13-2013 10:47 PM

I wish I could have been around for more of it, but I think that people really underestimate how ****ing awesome Jack Nicklaus was at golf.

In the early 1960s he won the PGA long drive competition with a 340+ yard bomb using a 43" steel shafted persimmon driver and a wound balata ball with the compression of a mush melon.

That's probably a 410 yard drive today.

No one broke that record for 20 years.

RippedmyFlesh 05-13-2013 10:49 PM

I think the field was more top heavy when Jack played.
After 10-12 guys while he played it's slim pickings.
Today's fields are deeper. Before the start of a major today you can go through
a list of 25-30 players you could foresee winning. I don't think during Jack's time you would go nearly that deep. And it's not Tiger's fault that
Tiger>>>>rest of field Jack>>his competitor's
If Tiger get's Jack major record he should be goat.

tk13 05-13-2013 10:49 PM

In that list of 70's majors... Jack finished in the top ten in 35 of those 40 events. Then when he turned 40 he won two more majors.

Jerm 05-13-2013 10:49 PM

Oh and the U.S. Open is at Merion....yeah go ahead and give Tiger the trophy now.

He's getting closer and closer to his early 2000s form which is scary...

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 05-13-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9680647)
The win totals are obviously the most important statistic... but people do probably forget how dominant Nicklaus' numbers are. Tiger will probably never quite reach the all-around level of dominance unless he goes off and wins something like 20-25 majors.

Tiger would have to finish in the top 10 in every single major from now until he turned 46 to pass Jack's total of top 10 major finishes. He really has just over half the number of top 3, top 5, and top 25 major finishes as Jack. He'd have to finish top 5 in the next 25 majors to match Jack.

See... I would think the parity in today's game would favor Woods. Guys like Scott who finally got his first major. Donald, Westwood, and Sergio with 0. Mickelson had less than he should have. Who's gonna be a guy after Tiger that gets 7 or 8 majors? McElroy? Maybe.

Jerm 05-13-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9680650)
I wish I could have been around for more of it, but I think that people really underestimate how ****ing awesome Jack Nicklaus was at golf.

In the early 1960s he won the PGA long drive competition with a 340+ yard bomb using a 43" steel shafted persimmon driver and a wound balata ball with the compression of a mush melon.

I'd love to see what guys like Nicklaus, Palmer, Player, Trevino, Seve, etc. could do with today's equipment and on today's manicured courses.

Nicklaus would absolutely destroy...

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-13-2013 10:54 PM

The top heaviness of those fields matter because so many players today are terrified of winning.

Today's players are far more athletic, but they aren't better golfers. They have the mental strength of a lobotomized chicken. They can't perform in anything less than perfect conditions, and golf is a sport that requires massive levels of mental strength.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 05-13-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9680676)
The top heaviness of those fields matter because so many players today are terrified of winning.

Today's players are far more athletic, but they aren't better golfers. They have the mental strength of a lobotomized chicken. They can't perform in anything less than perfect conditions, and golf is a sport that requires massive levels of mental strength.

Well the courses play significantly harder. You could argue it was easier to play under pressure back then

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-13-2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy Was Offsides (Post 9680664)
See... I would think the parity in today's game would favor Woods. Guys like Scott who finally got his first major. Donald, Westwood, and Sergio with 0. Mickelson had less than he should have. Who's gonna be a guy after Tiger that gets 7 or 8 majors? McElroy? Maybe.

How many times did those guys finish second to Tiger?

Phil did in the 2002 US Open. Sergio did in the 1999 PGA. Other than that, I don't believe any of them did. Those guys haven't lost majors because Tiger hoovered them up; they lost them because they failed in clutch moments.

Luke Donald is the perfect example of what I'm talking about. That guy will be a top 20 OWGR player for years, but he'll never win a major. Westwood doesn't have it, and neither does Sergio.

To be honest, McIlroy is a mentally weak player too, but he's so damned talented that when he's on he can lap a field.

The truly great players are the ones who can win w/o their best game, and Rory can't fight his swing or confidence and perform.

KC_Connection 05-13-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9680650)

Oh, I'm a big fan of Jack. He was excellent for so, so long in this sport. But what Tiger has done so far is incredibly impressive too and he isn't anywhere close to done apparently.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-13-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy Was Offsides (Post 9680681)
Well the courses play significantly harder.

Bullshit.

The entire course setup is perfect, the ball spins less off the driver, which is far more forgiving, while going 25 yards farther. Ball travels farther on every club, and you don't need a super spinny balata to hold greens due to improvement in multilayer ball design, CNC milling of club surfaces, and micrometer tolerance of modern enginerring.

A 6500 yard course from 1975 is a 7400 yard course now. The 6500 yard course also didn't have watered and striped fairways, rough w/ perfect consistency, and bunkers with perfectly manicured sand.

KC_Connection 05-13-2013 11:02 PM

To be honest, I'm not even really sure which of the two is the best. Sort of like comparing Bonds to Ruth, it's hard to judge dominance in different eras accurately. But I do think you can make an argument for both right now.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 05-13-2013 11:04 PM

I'm not saying they should have more because of Tiger, I'm saying it's harder to win one now than it was back then. Deeper competition. You see a lot of guys nowadays with just one major. If twenty years goes by and nobody sniffs 10 majors, it'll say a lot about what Woods accomplished in his era

KC_Connection 05-13-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 9680660)
Oh and the U.S. Open is at Merion....yeah go ahead and give Tiger the trophy now.

He's getting closer and closer to his early 2000s form which is scary...

Having success at TPC Sawgrass for the first time since then is a pretty damn good sign.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-13-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy Was Offsides (Post 9680709)
I'm not saying they should have more because of Tiger, I'm saying it's harder to win one now than it was back then. Deeper competition. You see a lot of guys nowadays with just one major. If twenty years goes by and nobody sniffs 10 majors, it'll say a lot about what Woods accomplished in his era

Then how do you explain the period from 1981-1997?

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 05-13-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9680705)
Bullshit.

The entire course setup is perfect, the ball spins less off the driver, which is far more forgiving, while going 25 yards farther. Ball travels farther on every club, and you don't need a super spinny balata to hold greens due to improvement in multilayer ball design, CNC milling of club surfaces, and micrometer tolerance of modern enginerring.

A 6500 yard course from 1975 is a 7400 yard course now. The 6500 yard course also didn't have watered and striped fairways, rough w/ perfect consistency, and bunkers with perfectly manicured sand.

I'm no golf historian, so I'll defer here.... but I still think jack's era is overrated.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-13-2013 11:10 PM

The USGA is going to have their hands full with Merion. If they stay with the graduated rough around the greens that course is going to get slaughtered.

philfree 05-13-2013 11:25 PM

Jack is still the best in my book. The equipment and ball improvements have been dramatic and make a huge difference. IMO Tiger hit just when the equipment really made a leap and he was one of the first to take advantage of it. It fit him like a glove and he kicked ass with it.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-13-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9680762)
Jack is still the best in my book. The equipment and ball improvements have been dramatic and make a huge difference. IMO Tiger hit just when the equipment really made a leap and he was one of the first to take advantage of it. It fit him like a glove and he kicked ass with it.

This is just not true. Tiger was one of the last adopters of a titanium driver and an even later user of a graphite shaft. Those advances actually hurt him in comparison to the field.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-13-2013 11:31 PM

Tiger's clubs in 1997 and 2000 (IIRC):

'97

King Cobra Stainless Driver
Titleist PT 3 Wood
Mizuno MP 29 Irons (Titleist and Nike both ripped them off and rebadged them)
Cleveland Wedges (sans ferrule on one of them)
Scotty Cameron Ping Anser rip-off

DG X100 shafts

I believe the biggest change to 2000 was the integration of Vokey wedges and a steel shafted Titanium Driver. Don't know if it was the 975D or if he'd gone to the piece of shit Nike first gen driver by then.

philfree 05-13-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9680765)
This is just not true. Tiger was one of the last adopters of a titanium driver and an even later user of a graphite shaft. Those advances actually hurt him in comparison to the field.

Well you are the Tiger Woods expert so I'll defer. I do know what it was like to play with a set of Gene The Machine Litler's though. Probably closer to what Jack played with.

Jerm 05-14-2013 12:05 AM

The golf ball makes a TON of difference in today's game as well...the old ball forced guys to be more creative and actually play different shots and become shotmakers. It wasn't just grip it and rip it and spin from 3' rough like it is today.

Guys are going to continue to bomb it 5 miles and obliterate courses as long as the equipment companies keep developing new balls.

This morning on The Morning Drive John Cook was talking about how he used to hit a 6 iron to the 17th and never hit anything less than an 8 to it...that's nuts.

On Thursday Mickelson hit a FOUR IRON off the tee at 18 and was still able to reach the green comfortably. It's way out of hand...

I wish they'd introduce a tour spec ball...will never happen though.

Jerm 05-14-2013 12:30 AM

It was also funny to hear Skip Bayless (I know) act like he knows golf and knows what he's talking about by trying to insinuate the Tiger/Sergio beef started at Medinah at the '99 PGA because of Sergio's little air kick after the miracle behind the tree shot and he spouted some bullshit about Sergio holing a putt and pointing at Tiger and smack talking him or something. He's a moron.

The rivalry didn't really start until 2000 and the Battle at Bighorn when Sergio celebrated like he'd won the Masters and really rubbed in Tiger's face. That was when shit got real...

KC_Connection 05-14-2013 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 9680825)
The rivalry didn't really start until 2000 and the Battle at Bighorn when Sergio celebrated like he'd won the Masters and really rubbed in Tiger's face. That was when shit got real...

Yeah, that was back when Tiger was simply not losing and completely dominating fields. He had won three majors in a row going into that and won at Firestone by 10+ shots. That Sergio win in the exhibition was probably where it all started for Woods.

Jerm 05-14-2013 01:35 AM

Yup and his comments at the 02 U.S. Open really amped shit up too...he basically insinuated the USGA and golf showed Tiger favoritism.

I just wonder if any of these guys realize how vindictive Tiger is and his memory...hello Colin Montgomerie, Stephen Ames, Vijay Singh just to name a few.

MahiMike 05-15-2013 06:42 AM

And the latest on this controversy. I knew Tiger knew what he was doing...

http://www.examiner.com/article/mars...s-championship

Marshals say Tiger lied about an incident that happened Saturday during The Players Championship. There have been barbs traded between Sergio Garcia and Tiger Woods over the incident that happened on the second hole during the third round, and on May 14 ESPN broke down the details.

Sergio Garcia has been vocal in his frustration over being paired with Tiger Woods, and things got worse after Saturday's incident. Garcia said that a shot of his went awry because Tiger pulled out his club during Garcia's swing preparation and the crowd cheered, disrupting his swing and concentration.

For his part, Tiger Woods' response was that the marshals said that Garcia had already hit, so he was clear to make his shot. He went so far as to say, “I hear [Garcia's] comments afterward, and it's not real surprising that he's complaining about something.” Well, Tiger may have thought the marshals would stay quiet on this one, but they didn't.

Marshals say Tiger lied about speaking to them. Two marshals have said that Tiger didn't ask them anything, and that they aren't allowed to speak to the players. Marshal Gary Anderson was the first to speak up, and chief marshal John North says he was present as well and backs up Anderson's remarks. North says he was disappointed to hear Woods say what he did, and adds that he thinks it “lacked character.”

Woods won The Players Championship while Garcia imploded over the final round, finishing eighth. Clearly Garcia and Woods won't be planning vacations together or anything like that after this, but Sergio Garcia must feel a bit vindicated after the marshals said Tiger lied about what happened. Tiger Woods perhaps simply thought the marshals would stay mum on what did or did not happen on the course, but things didn't play out that way.

Many have remarked on watching footage with a split-screen of the incident, and Woods is definitely getting a lot of criticism over this one. Did Tiger Woods intentionally pull his club at the precise moment that it would most likely disrupt Sergio Garcia's shot? Should he have just stayed quiet? Should the marshals have said Tiger lied about talking to them? Many are saying that the way this has played out has made them lose respect for Tiger, just as his reputation was gaining solid recovery.

Garcia Bronco 05-15-2013 07:12 AM

Sergio lost because on the two last holes he put 3 in the water. Best of luck to him.

Braincase 05-15-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 9683984)

Marshals say Tiger lied about an incident that happened Saturday during The Players Championship. There have been barbs traded between Sergio Garcia and Tiger Woods over the incident that happened on the second hole during the third round, and on May 14 ESPN broke down the details.

Sergio Garcia has been vocal in his frustration over being paired with Tiger Woods, and things got worse after Saturday's incident. Garcia said that a shot of his went awry because Tiger pulled out his club during Garcia's swing preparation and the crowd cheered, disrupting his swing and concentration.

For his part, Tiger Woods' response was that the marshals said that Garcia had already hit, so he was clear to make his shot. He went so far as to say, “I hear [Garcia's] comments afterward, and it's not real surprising that he's complaining about something.” Well, Tiger may have thought the marshals would stay quiet on this one, but they didn't.

Marshals say Tiger lied about speaking to them. Two marshals have said that Tiger didn't ask them anything, and that they aren't allowed to speak to the players. Marshal Gary Anderson was the first to speak up, and chief marshal John North says he was present as well and backs up Anderson's remarks. North says he was disappointed to hear Woods say what he did, and adds that he thinks it “lacked character.”

Woods won The Players Championship while Garcia imploded over the final round, finishing eighth. Clearly Garcia and Woods won't be planning vacations together or anything like that after this, but Sergio Garcia must feel a bit vindicated after the marshals said Tiger lied about what happened. Tiger Woods perhaps simply thought the marshals would stay mum on what did or did not happen on the course, but things didn't play out that way.

Many have remarked on watching footage with a split-screen of the incident, and Woods is definitely getting a lot of criticism over this one. Did Tiger Woods intentionally pull his club at the precise moment that it would most likely disrupt Sergio Garcia's shot? Should he have just stayed quiet? Should the marshals have said Tiger lied about talking to them? Many are saying that the way this has played out has made them lose respect for Tiger, just as his reputation was gaining solid recovery.

Rex Hoggard was covering this on the GOlf Channel this morning. There were apparently three marshalls, and one didn't say anything, but apparently the other two were conversing, and said something to the effect that Sergio had shot in their conversation that Tiger overheard.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 05-15-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 9683984)

ROFL

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-15-2013 10:00 AM

This shit isn't new or related solely to Tiger. Seve had several "allergy" flareups during the Ryder Cup, and he and Paul Azinger had a pretty tense exchange over it.

Gamesmanship has always existed as part of the underbelly of golf. One of the reasons why Mickelson has fared better than Tiger when paired against him over the last several years is b/c Butch Harmon told him many of his secrets. Phil won't let him putt out first unless it's an absolute tap-in, because once he finishes people rush ahead to the next hole, and Tiger uses that to his advantage.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-20-2013 09:55 AM

After several trips to the range to sort out some issues, I thought we could use this thread as a sort-of sounding board.

What is the biggest issue that gives you trouble with your swing?

I've always had issues with maintaining my spine angle. Consequently, I had to save too many shots with my hands and it often resulted in inconsistent, slightly thin contact. I've been working really hard on maintaining the angle of my spine on the downswing this spring. It's a tough sensation, because I feel cramped on the downswing, and my left foot wants to spin out to myself space to clear, but it works.

MahiMike 05-20-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9693980)
After several trips to the range to sort out some issues, I thought we could use this thread as a sort-of sounding board.

I've always had issues with maintaining my spine angle. Consequently, I had to save too many shots with my hands and it often resulted in inconsistent, slightly thin contact. I've been working really hard on maintaining the angle of my spine on the downswing this spring. It's a tough sensation, because I feel cramped on the downswing, and my left foot wants to spin out to myself space to clear, but it works.

For me it's flexibility. I was never very flexible but now that I'm older and 6 mos removed from shoulder surgery, it's tougher than ever. I found out it literally takes me 50 balls to warm up. If I go swimming or do yoga, it's quicker.

But finally with a lot of hard work, playing 3 times a week, my swing is coming around. I hit the best 6 iron of my life yesterday to 6 feet on a par 3. Nice birdie.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-20-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 9694264)
For me it's flexibility. I was never very flexible but now that I'm older and 6 mos removed from shoulder surgery, it's tougher than ever. I found out it literally takes me 50 balls to warm up. If I go swimming or do yoga, it's quicker.

But finally with a lot of hard work, playing 3 times a week, my swing is coming around. I hit the best 6 iron of my life yesterday to 6 feet on a par 3. Nice birdie.

Check out the Titleist Performance Institute's website. They'll likely have a set of specific exercises to help strengthen your shoulder girdle, possibly adding range and flexibility as well.

OnTheWarpath15 05-20-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

I've fought a long backswing for as long as I can remember. When I get long, I come down steep and over the top, and/or I end up opening my hips way early and pulling the piss out of the ball.

I've had some video taken, and what feels parallel to me is actually John Daly-esque. Actual parallel feels like doing a 9-3 drill.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-20-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9696069)
I've fought a long backswing for as long as I can remember. When I get long, I come down steep and over the top, and/or I end up opening my hips way early and pulling the piss out of the ball.

I've had some video taken, and what feels parallel to me is actually John Daly-esque. Actual parallel feels like doing a 9-3 drill.

Are you extremely flexible or do your hands break down at the top? I know all about those monster pulls, as I have a problem with taking the club away on an outside arc with a shut face and then re-routing semi-ish on plane. When I turn the club over I can hit some massive pull hooks.

Funny that you mention 9-3. I know it's a GolfWRX thing, but it also reminds me of Dave Pelz's clock for pitch shots. ****ed up my short game like none other, because it put way too much "hit" in my swing.

O.city 05-20-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9696069)

I had to shorten up as I would get too flippy at the top at times and lose the angle on the way down and could get my forearm back on plane.

Shortening up allowed me to e a lot more aggressive thru the ball and take the left side out if play when I need too (which is always, I hate hitting a right to left shot)

Question though, any of you guys ever heard of the golf machine stuff?

philfree 05-20-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

My feet went bad last June and I didn't hit a ball for 9 months. Last fall I went to the 'Foot Doctor' here in Springfield and for a small fee ($400.00) I got some custom orthotics. I thought they would help but only to an extent. I was wrong and they have helped me a 1000%. I'm golfing with no pain. Hell I can run around like a kid. As giddy as a school girl!

I haven't played enough to know what my swing trouble is at this point but I did play my first '18' in almost a year. I played alright. I had hit a few buckets and then played a few '9s' alone just getting shit together and then I played '9' keeping score all leading up to my round. I played alright. It seems with this Cleveland driver I can hit a huge hook though. I guess if I struggle it's not with mechanics so much as with tempo. I just have to swing slow and I seem to hit it pretty well.

So I guess my swing issue is tempo!:)

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-20-2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9696280)
I had to shorten up as I would get too flippy at the top at times and lose the angle on the way down and could get my forearm back on plane.

Shortening up allowed me to e a lot more aggressive thru the ball and take the left side out if play when I need too (which is always, I hate hitting a right to left shot)

Question though, any of you guys ever heard of the golf machine stuff?

Yes. Way, way, way too technical for my liking. I read some of the guys on GolfWRX (I lurk there, occasionally hit up the BST) who subscribe to that and my eyes just glaze over. I don't know how anyone could ever pull the trigger with so many ideas running through their head. I tried the Encyclopedia Texarkana as well. Gave me the worst case of the shanks I've ever had.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-20-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9696329)
My feet went bad last June and I didn't hit a ball for 9 months. Last fall I went to the 'Foot Doctor' here in Springfield and for a small fee ($400.00) I got some custom orthotics. I thought they would help but only to an extent. I was wrong and they have helped me a 1000%. I'm golfing with no pain. Hell I can run around like a kid. As giddy as a school girl!

I haven't played enough to know what my swing trouble is at this point but I did play my first '18' in almost a year. I played alright. I had hit a few buckets and then played a few '9s' alone just getting shit together and then I played '9' keeping score all leading up to my round. I played alright. It seems with this Cleveland driver I can hit a huge hook though. I guess if I struggle it's not with mechanics so much as with tempo. I just have to swing slow and I seem to hit it pretty well.

So I guess my swing issue is tempo!:)

Given how light those Cleveland drivers and shafts are it wouldn't surprise me if you needed to step up a little bit in flex.

philfree 05-21-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9696624)
Given how light those Cleveland drivers and shafts are it wouldn't surprise me if you needed to step up a little bit in flex.

I had it made with an X-stiff shaft but you may be right.

O.city 05-21-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9696622)
Yes. Way, way, way too technical for my liking. I read some of the guys on GolfWRX (I lurk there, occasionally hit up the BST) who subscribe to that and my eyes just glaze over. I don't know how anyone could ever pull the trigger with so many ideas running through their head. I tried the Encyclopedia Texarkana as well. Gave me the worst case of the shanks I've ever had.

Yeah, you really have to implement one thing at a time to work on otherwise, yeah becomes a jumbled mess.

My swing coach all thru high school and college was a GM guy so he was a lot more versed in it that I, but I really like the two plane philosophy a lot more. Bent right wrist flat left wrist etc as well, but I tried to read the book myself am yeah, it's gets a bit crazy.

A lot of the bigger guys implement some of the stuff that I've seen, but they aren't full on homer Kelly guys.

Donger 05-21-2013 07:44 AM

What's the consensus on this (if there is one)?

The R&A and United States Golf Association have confirmed that the ban on anchored strokes will come into effect from January 1, 2016.

Golf's governing bodies proposed the ban last November and Rule 14-1b has now been given final approval after consideration of comments and suggestions made during the 90-day consultation process.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/gol...#ixzz2Tw1EcoQE

O.city 05-21-2013 07:54 AM

I think the long putters are an absolute disgrace to the game and shouldn't be used, but that's just me

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 05-21-2013 09:26 AM

2016? GTFO.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-21-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9696861)
I think the long putters are an absolute disgrace to the game and shouldn't be used, but that's just me

Absolutely.

Minute movement of the hands is an essential part of the putting stroke. Taking the hands out of the stroke is, to me, like someone using an anti-slice tee.

The only mistake the governing bodies made is not acting on it sooner. They made the same mistake with square grooves twice and the COR on the driver.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-21-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9696845)
What's the consensus on this (if there is one)?

The R&A and United States Golf Association have confirmed that the ban on anchored strokes will come into effect from January 1, 2016.

Golf's governing bodies proposed the ban last November and Rule 14-1b has now been given final approval after consideration of comments and suggestions made during the 90-day consultation process.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/gol...#ixzz2Tw1EcoQE

To answer your question more specifically, O-City and I are in the minority from what I've seen.

Donger 05-21-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9697285)
like someone using an anti-slice tee.

They make those?

Old Dog 05-21-2013 11:36 AM

I'm so flipping frustrated right now with my golf game it isn't even funny. I can't seem to hit a drive that doesn't fade, but of course when I line up to the left to play the fade it goes straight as a string. It has to be something simple, it's just got me bamboozled right now..../rant