ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Tarantino: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=315719)

'Hamas' Jenkins 09-02-2019 01:49 PM

Watched it last night by myself, as my kids were out of town and my wife was at work.

That may have been the most singularly enjoyable movie experience I can remember. What a great catharsis, especially after watching the second season of Mindhunter.

"Everybody all right?"

"Well...the ****in'' hippies aren't; that's for goddamn sure."

ROFL ROFL

'Hamas' Jenkins 09-02-2019 01:51 PM

When I saw the Lee-Cliff scene you know what I thought of? The Bruce Lee-Mike Tyson thread on here. It's clear that Tarantino and Cliff share my sentiments as well.

BigRedChief 11-01-2019 03:06 AM

Brad Pitt Confirms Tarantino’s Plan for Extended ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’ Miniseries

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/09/tarantino-plans-extended-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-netflix-miniseries-1202162622/

https://www.slashfilm.com/once-upon-...-extended-cut/
A Netflix miniseries version of Tarantino's "The Hateful Eight" premiered on the streaming service in April.

MelGrif 11-01-2019 08:35 AM

I haven't watched it yet, but the opinions were divided as I understood...

Miles 11-01-2019 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14566430)
Brad Pitt Confirms Tarantino’s Plan for Extended ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’ Miniseries

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/09/tarantino-plans-extended-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-netflix-miniseries-1202162622/

https://www.slashfilm.com/once-upon-...-extended-cut/
A Netflix miniseries version of Tarantino's "The Hateful Eight" premiered on the streaming service in April.

Nice :thumb:

Baby Lee 11-30-2019 09:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm gonna drop this here, and ask if anyone else got a vibe from this scene, connecting to a previous iconic scene?

For some reason I'm still sussing out, my mind went here, and I wonder if it did for anyone else. . .

https://static.rogerebert.com/upload...11250301AR.jpg

scho63 11-30-2019 12:10 PM

I watched this yesterday and I'm still not sure what to make of it. Still processing everything and I may watch it a second time just to capture anything I might have missed first go around. He did however get in the "hot feet" scene with Margaret Qualley sticking her dirty feet all over the windshield.

Did I love it? Absolutely not

Did I hate it? Absolutely not

It was very strange in so many ways and unlike all the of the Tarantino movies I've seen.

I need to take a pass on rating it for the moment.

Baby Lee 11-30-2019 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 14624579)
I watched this yesterday and I'm still not sure what to make of it. Still processing everything and I may watch it a second time just to capture anything I might have missed first go around. He did however get in the "hot feet" scene with Margaret Qualley sticking her dirty feet all over the windshield.

It was very strange in so many ways and unlike all the of the Tarantino movies I've seen.

I think that's a wise take.

I was scrupulous in avoiding being spoiled until I watched it.

There were many things I kind of expected, that I really really liked. There were many things that were unexpected that I didn't like as much, but as time passes I think I didn't like them as much because I didn't expect them, . . . and perhaps expected something else, perhaps more than them not being good ideas or excellent scenes.

I certainly have thought about it a lot, and that is promising. There is a lot to chew on, . . . far more than you register in the moment.

Baby Lee 11-30-2019 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 14624583)
There were many things I kind of expected, that I really really liked. There were many things that were unexpected that I didn't like as much, but as time passes I think I didn't like them as much because I didn't expect them, . . . and perhaps expected something else, perhaps more than them not being good ideas or excellent scenes.

Expanding on this, without overly spoiling until I'm sure we're in a spoiler space for this film . . . The most controversial unexpected development [we know the one], I wasn't on board with the execution of it as I watched, . . . but after a bit and thinking on the statement it was making, I'm nearly gobsmacked in the elegiac nature of the attempt. The portent of that, and what came after [both in the film and the imagination] nearly chokes me up reflecting on it. And once I got past the moment of experiencing it, I'm starting to come around on the execution as well.

OnTheWarpath15 11-30-2019 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 14624579)

Margot Robbie in the theater as well.

Iconic 11-30-2019 05:43 PM

I disliked it right up until the car scene where the Tate murder stuff began. Everything before that was just weird... and some of it just flat out made me uncomfortable.

BigRedChief 11-30-2019 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15 (Post 14624763)

He’s had a thing for feet in several of his movies.

BigRedChief 11-30-2019 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic (Post 14624822)
I disliked it right up until the car scene where the Tate murder stuff began. Everything before that was just weird... and some of it just flat out made me uncomfortable.

seemed like a pretty standard Tarantino movie to me. His movies are weird. What exactly was “weirder” to you about this one?

scho63 12-01-2019 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15 (Post 14624763)

:doh!: How did I miss that?

See I do need to rewatch.

BWillie 12-15-2019 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14370920)
For what it’s worth, your previous post sold me... gonna check it out tomorrow night

Although I did hear that Bruce Lee’s family is very unhappy with how he was portrayed as some arrogant jerk... SHAME ON YOU QUENTIN

That part was hilarious.

Easy 6 12-20-2019 06:35 PM

Finally got around to this today, wow... just loved everything about it, it leapt to my #1 Tarantino movie of all time in a single bound

It all resonates so perfectly for me, he ties together so many different strands and themes... the Manson murders as a vehicle to tell a modern fictional western, the always spot on dialogue, the music, the nostalgia

It was a genuine trip, blew off several phone calls because I didn’t wanna pause it... gonna watch it again tomorrow

banecat 12-21-2019 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14668067)
Finally got around to this today, wow... just loved everything about it, it leapt to my #1 Tarantino movie of all time in a single bound

It all resonates so perfectly for me, he ties together so many different strands and themes... the Manson murders as a vehicle to tell a modern fictional western, the always spot on dialogue, the music, the nostalgia

It was a genuine trip, blew off several phone calls because I didn’t wanna pause it... gonna watch it again tomorrow

That f**king ending. I think that it's one of his best works

Easy 6 12-21-2019 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banecat (Post 14668648)
That f**king ending. I think that it's one of his best works

It’s a damn shame that ending didn’t happen in real life

But yeah it’s such an impressive piece of work from a master at the top of his game

Why Not? 12-21-2019 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14668662)

Same with Basterds. Nobody does “endings that we all wish were real” better than QT.

BWillie 12-21-2019 03:33 PM

I want a gif of Leonardi Dicaprio yelling at hippies in a robe with a frozen margarita in a blender.

banecat 12-21-2019 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14668662)

But yeah it’s such an impressive piece of work from a master at the top of his game

Or Roman could've been home, and have been the only victim. I could've lived with that piece of shit dying

banecat 12-21-2019 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 14668711)
Same with Basterds. Nobody does “endings that we all wish were real” better than QT.

This

Megatron96 12-21-2019 07:07 PM

Finally saw this movie a week ago. Pretty good. Probably a top ten Tarantino movie.

Though I get what KAJ meant about his characterization of Bruce Lee. It was overdone. Made him into a caricature, more of a cartoon version of Bruce.

But it's a movie, and I get why T. played it that way. Thankfully the Bruce scene is just a segueway and wasn't an ongoing part of the movie.

Should be added to the list of top 2010's movies.

Easy 6 12-21-2019 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 14670125)
Finally saw this movie a week ago. Pretty good. Probably a top ten Tarantino movie.

Though I get what KAJ meant about his characterization of Bruce Lee. It was overdone. Made him into a caricature, more of a cartoon version of Bruce.

But it's a movie, and I get why T. played it that way. Thankfully the Bruce scene is just a segueway and wasn't an ongoing part of the movie.

Should be added to the list of top 2010's movies.

I loved how well Moh imitated his speaking cadence and voice inflections... it was dead on

That said, Quentin shouldn’t have went where he did with it...leave Bruce alone!

BigRedChief 12-22-2019 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 14670125)

Since he's only made 9 movies, thats a given.;)

scho63 12-22-2019 10:42 PM

I'm gonna rewatch this tomorrow or Tuesday without interruption and absorb all the nuances and a few of the items I missed first go around.

I know a couple times watching on my computer I got distracted.

I'll finally be able to comment and rate in fairness and objectivity.

banecat 12-23-2019 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 14673789)
I'm gonna rewatch this tomorrow or Tuesday without interruption and absorb all the nuances and a few of the items I missed first go around.

I know a couple times watching on my computer I got distracted.

I'll finally be able to comment and rate in fairness and objectivity.

I haven't watched Hateful Eight. I just can't find the time to sit down and watch it. And Kill Bill is the only other film that I haven't watched of his. I'd say that Inglorious is the best work that he's done, and Jackie Brown is my favorite.

Pulp fiction is the second on both of those lists from my book. It's not easy to rank his shit. It's all good stuff. I've heard that Once Upon is a love letter to LA, and, or Hollywood. The latter can be both as it is part of the area

If QT pens a love letter to that, then he's writing one to himself as well. He's part of that area and scene. It feels like an homage of his work that he's done whilst doing more work. You can tell that he loves his work and what he's been lucky enough to be apart of

He'll do one last film after this. This should've been his last one, but if he can build upon this with his next one, then just wow. But with all of that being said, I still would like to see what you say after another view as you analyze it

Easy 6 12-23-2019 06:12 PM

I appreciate your choice of Jackie Brown as your favorite, because it was MY favorite until this came along... JB is probably down a ways on most people’s list, so it’s rare to find someone else claiming it as their #1

ToxSocks 12-23-2019 06:27 PM

I'll have to re-watch it. I watched it this weekend but may have watched it too late at night and found myself dozing off. What i mostly remember is the acting being superb and the ending not being what i expected.

Easy 6 12-23-2019 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 14675163)
I'll have to re-watch it. I watched it this weekend but may have watched it too late at night and found myself dozing off. What i mostly remember is the acting being superb and the ending not being what i expected.

Yeah it’s the acting, and exquisite look back at that era, that makes this movie... there’s no far out Tarantino action until the end

Pitt and Leo have never been more believable and relatable, and every other performance is just dead nuts nails IMO... the hippy chick Cliff meets, Pacino killed it, Robbie was a naive vision to behold, Moh as Lee, yeah there isn’t a sour acting note in the whole thing

banecat 12-24-2019 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14675143)
I appreciate your choice of Jackie Brown as your favorite, because it was MY favorite until this came along... JB is probably down a ways on most people’s list, so it’s rare to find someone else claiming it as their #1

The only thing that I can come up with is that it's basically a love story. As close as QT's gonna to ever make, and it has a bittersweet ending unlike most love stories do. People don't like that. And it wasn't as tried and true back then, realistic endings

Otter 12-26-2019 01:01 PM

Saw this one over the Christmas holidays and thought it was pretty good. As far as Tarantino movies go I'd rate it:

1. Reservoir Dogs
2. Inglorious Bastards
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
The rest with the Kill Bill duo fighting for scraps at the bottom of the barrel.

This film would have made the perfect summer pop corn flick at a drive-in with the sunny Hollywood vibe and soundtrack.

7.5 overall.

Halfcan 12-26-2019 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14675143)

I just watched Jackie Brown this weekend. I saw it years ago and thought it was okay, but not that great. It has aged well though and I enjoyed it a lot more this time around for some reason.

I think Tarantino must have a foot fetish- Bridget Fonda'a feet in Jackie Brown and plenty of dirty foot action in his latest.

scho63 12-26-2019 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 14677861)

I think Tarantino must have a foot fetish- .

He does and he openly admits it. :LOL:

Prison Bitch 12-26-2019 07:29 PM

Pulp was phenomenal.

The others are really meh. What exactly is his schtick? Making historical movies with slapstick endings? Once Upon is ok (rented it the other day) but realllly slow the first hour and the ending is more humorous than serious art.

Easy 6 12-27-2019 08:50 PM

Lots of honest and legit takes on this, everyone’s entitled to see art as they wish

Championing his more far out fare is fine, they’re arguably his best works... but there’s something to be said for his more grounded works like Jackie Brown, Once Upon, even going back to his incredible True Romance script

He does realistic crime as well as anyone... Cliff Booth/Ordell Robbie types will always be more interesting to me than Pai Mei and Beatrix Kiddo

Why Not? 12-27-2019 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14679325)
Lots of honest and legit takes on this, everyone’s entitled to see art as they wish

Championing his more far out fare is fine, they’re arguably his best works... but there’s something to be said for his more grounded works like Jackie Brown, Once Upon, even going back to his incredible True Romance script

He does realistic crime as well as anyone... Cliff Booth/Ordell Robbie types will always be more interesting to me than Pai Mei and Beatrix Kiddo

If you just insulted Pai Mei, I may have to do the five point palm exploding heart technique on you.

Figuratively speaking, of course.

Easy 6 12-27-2019 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 14679352)
If you just insulted Pai Mei, I may have to do the five point palm exploding heart technique on you.

Figuratively speaking, of course.

Your so called art is only fit for Japanese fatheads!

Deberg_1990 12-27-2019 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14679325)

No love for Death Proof?

It’s grown on me a lot over the years.

BigRedChief 04-03-2020 07:45 PM

Quentin Tarantino Says He Might Write A ‘Once Upon A Time’ Novelization

Quentin Tarantino’s Oscar-nominated “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” has been available for months now. But that doesn’t mean fans and the filmmaker, especially, are done talking about it. In fact, Tarantino is talking about how he may revisit the story for a new project, completely separate from the “Bounty Law” series that he wants to direct. He’s talking about expanding the ‘Once Upon a Time’ story into the world of the printed page.

Speaking on the Pure Cinema Podcast (via IndieWire), Tarantino briefly mentioned a new project that he’s been thinking about, which also ties back into his most recent feature.

“I hadn’t thought about that until recently. But now I’m thinking a lot about it. I might be writing a novelization to ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood,’” the filmmaker said.

Obviously, as we’ve seen with other novelizations of films (cough ‘Rise of Skywalker’ cough), the expanded page count allows for a filmmaker to delve a bit deeper into the characters and plot of his film. And considering we know that there are tons of deleted scenes that didn’t make the final cut of the film (but maybe could make it on Netflix), there is a lot of material that Tarantino has lying around that could make for the definitive story of “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.”

Another interesting aspect of this proposed novelization is how the filmmaker would actually be involved in the writing. Often, as with just about every other novelization of a feature film, a third-party writer is hired to take the story and expand on it for the paperback edition. It’s incredibly rare to see a filmmaker actually take the idea of a novelization and use it for his own means of expanding the story.

Easy 6 04-03-2020 08:22 PM

Watched this 4 times in the last 8 days on Starz, and love it more every time... none of them were ever more believable

Why Not? 04-03-2020 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14886194)
Watched this 4 times in the last 8 days on Starz, and love it more every time... none of them were ever more believable

It’s so great. Watched it again Wednesday night and will probably watch it again this weekend

rabblerouser 04-03-2020 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 14886247)
It’s so great. Watched it again Wednesday night and will probably watch it again this weekend

I've come to the conclusion that it's probably the best movie of the last 10 years.

Why Not? 04-04-2020 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 14886305)
I've come to the conclusion that it's probably the best movie of the last 10 years.

I wouldn’t spend tons of time arguing against you on that.

vailpass 04-04-2020 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 14677820)
Saw this one over the Christmas holidays and thought it was pretty good. As far as Tarantino movies go I'd rate it:

1. Reservoir Dogs
2. Inglorious Bastards
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
The rest with the Kill Bill duo fighting for scraps at the bottom of the barrel.

This film would have made the perfect summer pop corn flick at a drive-in with the sunny Hollywood vibe and soundtrack.

7.5 overall.

I’m with you. I rented this a few weeks ago, got bored after 20 minutes and turned it off. Got home from a long hike the other day and this came on Starz, figured maybe I was in the right mood to watch a slow movie.

I kept waiting for the movie to start and an hour in I realized this was it. Some old-school Hollywood homages, Decaprio crying every now and then, Pitt being Pitt, and repeat. The vintage cars were cool and the Bruce Lee scene was funny. Other than that it was Decaprio and Pitt and I never forgot that’s who I was watching. Not the usual characters Tarantino creates. Seemed to go on forever.

2 hours in I got a phone call and haven’t gone back. Just don’t care.

Props to those of you who got something out of it. It’s last on my Tarantino list and I’m a big fan of his, Decaprio’s, and Pitt’s work.

Easy 6 04-04-2020 07:52 PM

Well into this again for the umpteenth time, we’re headed to the Spahn Ranch right now... the vibe there brought to life just like you’d imagine it

BigRedChief 04-04-2020 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 14887712)
I’m with you. I rented this a few weeks ago, got bored after 20 minutes and turned it off. Got home from a long hike the other day and this came on Starz, figured maybe I was in the right mood to watch a slow movie.

I kept waiting for the movie to start and an hour in I realized this was it. Some old-school Hollywood homages, Decaprio crying every now and then, Pitt being Pitt, and repeat. The vintage cars were cool and the Bruce Lee scene was funny. Other than that it was Decaprio and Pitt and I never forgot that’s who I was watching. Not the usual characters Tarantino creates. Seemed to go on forever.

Props to those of you who got something out of it. It’s last on my Tarantino list and I’m a big fan of his, Decaprio’s, and Pitt’s work.

everyone has an opinion but dude, come on, last? LAST?

rabblerouser 04-04-2020 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 14887712)

Are you ****ing insane?

That movie is GREATNESS. The part where Rick Dalton is talking to Mirabella Lancer and he realizes that he really connects with the Easy Breezy character in his western book is GOLD.

Then in his trailer : "you had to have 8 whiskey sours? You ****ing alcoholic...you get your shit together or I'm blowing your brains out all over your pool tonight!"

I also loved the part where Cliff Booth (Pitt) goes to Spahn Ranch and visits George Spahn.

The way the whole thing culminates and peaks in the last 20 minutes...greatness.

The only thing that I took issue with was the "acid-laced cigarette". Everyone knows you can't smoke LSD.

rabblerouser 04-04-2020 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14887747)
Well into this again for the umpteenth time, we’re headed to the Spahn Ranch right now... the vibe there brought to life just like you’d imagine it

Yup.

rabblerouser 04-04-2020 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13585824)
Tarantino's 1969 Summer of love in LA/Manson pic has added

Al Pacino
Damian Lewis
Luke Perry
Emile Hirsch
Dakota Fanning
Clifton Collins Jr
Keith Jefferson
Nicholas Hammond in supporting roles for a lineup that already includes:
Leonardo DiCaprio
Brad Pitt
Margot Robbie
Burt Reynolds
Timothy Olyphant
Michael Madsen
Tim Roth
Dewey Crow as Manson

This is going to be one epic movie.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ELeMaP8EPAA" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen="" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

1967 was "the summer of love".

Deberg_1990 04-05-2020 10:07 AM

Pitts Cliff Booth made the movie for me. I found the Rick Dalton stuff kinda boring.

But every scene involving Cliff was magic.

gblowfish 04-05-2020 10:29 AM

I guess the story is what you have to call "suspending belief." I enjoyed the tap ins to late 1960's culture (Mannix, Combat, Matt Helm) and the cars were way cool. Thought Leo's character was a big mish mash of Robert Conrad, Chuck Conners and James Garner. And between this movie and Hunters on Netflix, Pacino has morphed from a Mafia Godfather to a little old Jewish man. Very strange. The guy who played Bruce Lee was a hoot too.

DeepPurple 04-05-2020 02:08 PM

I'm as real as a donut, Mother ****er!!

I love 1968 and '69 music. I graduated high school in '68, this movie is right up my alley. I didn't think that many people would really dig it. I'm glad some of you like it. I guess you have to be a fan of the 60's to really get into it. I've got a small section of a wall at home with about 25 photos of shows and movies I like from the 60's and such.

https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...05&oe=5EAF8250

Easy 6 04-05-2020 02:38 PM

Yeah I wasn’t born until 71 but can still relate to so much of this movie, all of those Bounty Law style westerns were still showing regularly in syndication

I read Vincent Bugliosis definitive book on the Manson saga as a very young teen, so that was familiar as well... and all the rest of it too, really, all of those cars were still on the road as a kid, all that music was still on the radio

Bruce Lee was still huge, I used to OD on his movies... and though Tarantino portrayed him badly, it was still cool to see him brought back to life so perfectly

Yeah this flic just clicks with me, might just put it on again today if I get tired of shark week...

Rain Man 04-05-2020 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 14888265)
Pitts Cliff Booth made the movie for me. I found the Rick Dalton stuff kinda boring.

But every scene involving Cliff was magic.

In an odd coincidence, I just watched the movie last night for the first time. I'd wanted to see it in the theaters but never had the timing right to do it.

I agree on Cliff versus Rick. If you completely took Rick out of the movie it wouldn't have made a negative impact. Cliff was the interesting one. In fact, the movie was coming close to losing me during that big extended filming scene in the middle where Rick was on the set of the western.

I also don't get Tarantino's love of ridiculous violence like the flame thrower use. I don't think it added anything and it took me out of scene because it was so unrealistic. I'll admit that I did laugh at Cliff slamming that one woman's face against every single thing in the house, though.

I'll comment on the ending in a spoiler in case someone hasn't seen it.

Spoiler!

Deberg_1990 04-05-2020 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14888764)
In an odd coincidence, I just watched the movie last night for the first time. I'd wanted to see it in the theaters but never had the timing right to do it.

I agree on Cliff versus Rick. If you completely took Rick out of the movie it wouldn't have made a negative impact. Cliff was the interesting one. In fact, the movie was coming close to losing me during that big extended filming scene in the middle where Rick was on the set of the western.

I also don't get Tarantino's love of ridiculous violence like the flame thrower use. I don't think it added anything and it took me out of scene because it was so unrealistic. I'll admit that I did laugh at Cliff slamming that one woman's face against every single thing in the house, though.

I'll comment on the ending in a spoiler in case someone hasn't seen it.

Spoiler!

It’s another film in QTs revisionist history catalog. With a hyperextended reality.

Similar in Vein to Inglorious Bastards and DJango Unchained.

It’s what QT wishes how things would have ended up.

It’s what he does. Every movie he’s made has his own version of reality. You either run with it or you don’t.

DaneMcCloud 04-05-2020 04:14 PM

Quote:

I agree on Cliff versus Rick. If you completely took Rick out of the movie it wouldn't have made a negative impact.

While Cliff was the soul of the movie, Rick was the heart of the movie. Without Rick, there would have been no Cliff.

I'm surprised to see so many people pan LDC's performance and character. For me, it was absolutely mind blowing to actually SEE a real TV Series, Lancer, acted out by actors, who themselves are being portrayed by actors in a TV series within in a movie.

The way LDC seamlessly transitioned from Rick Dalton in Bounty Law to a criminal in Lancer, then back to Rick Dalton the person was simply amazing, IMO, and his performance was absolutely stellar.

As much as I've loved Brad Pitt's characters over the years, I always see Brad Pitt in the role. I didn't really see Cliff when Pitt was onscreen, I saw Pitt.

Yet LDC was essentially playing three different characters in the film and I saw each and every one of those and not Leonardo Di Caprio.

vailpass 04-05-2020 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14888726)
Yeah I wasn’t born until 71 but can still relate to so much of this movie, all of those Bounty Law style westerns were still showing regularly in syndication

I read Vincent Bugliosis definitive book on the Manson saga as a very young teen, so that was familiar as well... and all the rest of it too, really, all of those cars were still on the road as a kid, all that music was still on the radio

Bruce Lee was still huge, I used to OD on his movies... and though Tarantino portrayed him badly, it was still cool to see him brought back to life so perfectly

Yeah this flic just clicks with me, might just put it on again today if I get tired of shark week...

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 14888917)
While Cliff was the soul of the movie, Rick was the heart of the movie. Without Rick, there would have been no Cliff.

I'm surprised to see so many people pan LDC's performance and character. For me, it was absolutely mind blowing to actually SEE a real TV Series, Lancer, acted out by actors, who themselves are being portrayed by actors in a TV series within in a movie.

The way LDC seamlessly transitioned from Rick Dalton in Bounty Law to a criminal in Lancer, then back to Rick Dalton the person was simply amazing, IMO, and his performance was absolutely stellar.

As much as I've loved Brad Pitt's characters over the years, I always see Brad Pitt in the role. I didn't really see Cliff when Pitt was onscreen, I saw Pitt.

Yet LDC was essentially playing three different characters in the film and I saw each and every one of those and not Leonardo Di Caprio.

Having Easy's background knowledge on the Manson story and/or Dane's in-depth grasp of theater may have made this a different viewing for me. I came in looking for a Tarantino roller coaster ride and that didn't happen.

I really enjoy most everything Pitt, Leo, and QT have made. I was picturing another QT non-linear piece with his rich dialogue and "wow" moments typical of his films. There was some of that but it appears this one was nuanced in ways that didn't line up with me.

Easy 6 04-05-2020 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 14889004)
Having Easy's background knowledge on the Manson story and/or Dane's in-depth grasp of theater may have made this a different viewing for me. I came in looking for a Tarantino roller coaster ride and that didn't happen.

I really enjoy most everything Pitt, Leo, and QT have made. I was picturing another QT non-linear piece with his rich dialogue and "wow" moments typical of his films. There was some of that but it appears this one was nuanced in ways that didn't line up with me.

If you can’t dig this movie... EAT SHIT

Just tell me Jackie Browns in your top 3 and we’re still cool :D

Deberg_1990 04-05-2020 05:25 PM

Quote:

The way the integrated Leo's Dalton inside real tv shows and movies was superb.

Like 'The Great Escape' and the FBI Files tv show . I didnt realize that was actually Burt Reynolds until after i had seen the movie.

rabblerouser 04-05-2020 05:29 PM

Quote:

In fact, the movie was coming close to losing me during that big extended filming scene in the middle where Rick was on the set of the western.

One of my favorite parts.

"Poor Easy Breezy."

BigRedChief 04-05-2020 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14889027)

Bottom 3

Reserviour Dogs
Pulp Fiction
Inglorious Bastards
Once Upon a time in Hollywood
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Django Unchained
Kill Bill Vol. 2
Jackie Brown
Deathproof

Why Not? 04-05-2020 09:22 PM

Quote:

Honestly thought it was some of the best acting I’ve ever seen.

Why Not? 04-05-2020 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepPurple (Post 14888667)
I'm as real as a donut, Mother ****er!!

I love 1968 and '69 music. I graduated high school in '68, this movie is right up my alley. I didn't think that many people would really dig it. I'm glad some of you like it. I guess you have to be a fan of the 60's to really get into it. I've got a small section of a wall at home with about 25 photos of shows and movies I like from the 60's and such.

https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...05&oe=5EAF8250

To really love this movie, as I did, I think you needed to check off at least a couple of these boxes:

Have been alive during the 60’s: missed it by 7 years

Love American history: check

Love great acting: check

Love Tarantino films: check

Easy 6 04-05-2020 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14889450)
Bottom 3

Reserviour Dogs
Pulp Fiction
Inglorious Bastards
Once Upon a time in Hollywood
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Django Unchained
Kill Bill Vol. 2
Jackie Brown
Deathproof

We’re all welcome to our own tastes, they’re all incredible works... I just tend to enjoy his more grounded fare that’s all

smith11 04-06-2020 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 14889048)
One of my favorite parts.

"Poor Easy Breezy."

love how tarantino references obscure stories in the background of the main story....dalton's co-star in the TV pilot was a real life character james stacy, played by timothy olyphant...as the production winds down for the day they show stacy hopping on his motorcycle and riding off

in real life stacy had a bad motorcycle crash and lost limbs and had a promising acting career derailed...

eDave 04-06-2020 04:02 AM

Going to have to watch it again I guess. Was kinda meant for me first time through.

lawrenceRaider 04-06-2020 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 14889004)

I need to watch this one again. We really enjoyed it, and I think it could be my favorite QT movie.

DeepPurple 04-06-2020 08:51 AM

One of the greatest uses of a song in a movie. At 4:00 Vanilla Fudge You keep me hangin on. They happen to be the first concert I ever attended, 1968.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2B65iGsBrso" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pepe Silvia 04-06-2020 09:20 AM

Watched it again last night, even better the second time imo.

vailpass 04-06-2020 09:24 AM

Quote:

If you can’t dig this movie... EAT SHIT

:D

Let's just agree that the opening scene in Basterds was one of the most engaging opening scenes in any movie ever.

gblowfish 04-06-2020 09:29 AM

When I was watching and Sharon Tate goes to the house party, Steve McQueen shows up. My first thought was "Hey, that's Captain Winters from Band of Brothers!" He did look similar to McQueen. I never would have put those two together. Good casting.

Pepe Silvia 04-06-2020 09:35 AM

Quote:

Just tell me Jackie Browns in your top 3.

Didn’t know you listened to the Delfonics?

Deberg_1990 04-06-2020 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepPurple (Post 14889843)
One of the greatest uses of a song in a movie. At 4:00 Vanilla Fudge You keep me hangin on. They happen to be the first concert I ever attended, 1968.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2B65iGsBrso" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The ending is amazing the way it plays with your expectations. It uses your knowledge of the real life events to build tension, then when the events change its this huge tension release and pretty funny the way it plays out.

I actually read something awhile back that said it didn’t play as well with younger audiences who didn’t know the real events of that night. Some were just confused by it.

BigRedChief 05-13-2020 12:38 PM

Kill Bill 3 as his last film?

https://www.nme.com/news/film/kill-b...ks-2666915?amp

Uma Thurman and Quentin Tarantino are in talks for ‘Kill Bill Vol. 3’
"I'd love for them to figure it out," said one of the first film's key actors

rabblerouser 05-13-2020 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 14889928)
Didn’t know you listened to the Delfonics?

"Probably the same person who killed Beaumont..."

Deberg_1990 05-13-2020 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14968945)
Kill Bill 3 as his last film?

https://www.nme.com/news/film/kill-b...ks-2666915?amp

Uma Thurman and Quentin Tarantino are in talks for ‘Kill Bill Vol. 3’
"I'd love for them to figure it out," said one of the first film's key actors

Ok, that would be kick ass

rabblerouser 05-13-2020 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 14968981)
Ok, that would be kick ass

Agreed

Frazod 05-13-2020 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 14889911)
When I was watching and Sharon Tate goes to the house party, Steve McQueen shows up. My first thought was "Hey, that's Captain Winters from Band of Brothers!" He did look similar to McQueen. I never would have put those two together. Good casting.

Damian Lewis is the host of a new series on Smithsonian Channel about spies. It's still kind of jarring to hear him speak in his natural British accent. I'll always think of him as Captain Winters.

Bowser 05-13-2020 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14969325)
Damian Lewis is the host of a new series on Smithsonian Channel about spies. It's still kind of jarring to hear him speak in his natural British accent. I'll always think of him as Captain Winters.

Or Brody in Homeland

Or Axe in Billions

Guy is pretty good at what he does.