ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music Megadeth > Metallica (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280999)

Deberg_1990 09-25-2020 10:44 AM

Yea. I had heard a little about Becker over the years. I’ll have to give that a watch over the weekend. Thanks

L.A. Chieffan 09-25-2020 12:16 PM

Yesterday was the 30th anniversary of, as a few have already mentioned, the greatest thrash album of all time Rust In Peace. I still remember being 11 years old and begging my friends older brother to drive us to the mall and buy the CD and blast it in his shitty car. He hated it, he was more of a Ice Cube Public Enemy guy but I was obsessed. Saw Mustaine and boys many times over the years after that and yes the Menza Friedman era was the best.

But anyways after the Black Album Metallica pretty much went to shit, the exception being maybe Death Magnetic. And comparatively when they played live Megadeth blew them out of the water. Shit Lars can't even drum still lol

htismaqe 09-25-2020 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 15191974)
Yesterday was the 30th anniversary of, as a few have already mentioned, the greatest thrash album of all time Rust In Peace. I still remember being 11 years old and begging my friends older brother to drive us to the mall and buy the CD and blast it in his shitty car. He hated it, he was more of a Ice Cube Public Enemy guy but I was obsessed. Saw Mustaine and boys many times over the years after that and yes the Menza Friedman era was the best.

But anyways after the Black Album Metallica pretty much went to shit, the exception being maybe Death Magnetic. And comparatively when they played live Megadeth blew them out of the water. Shit Lars can't even drum still lol

Megadeth from RIP on was just no longer a "thrash" band. Even the new stuff with Chris Broderick and others was just "more".

L.A. Chieffan 09-25-2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15191997)
Megadeth from RIP on was just no longer a "thrash" band. Even the new stuff with Chris Broderick and others was just "more".

True that, after the success of Black Album Dave definitely went a different direction. But an album like Dystopia is miles better than anything Metallica has put out in 30 years

htismaqe 09-25-2020 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 15192016)
True that, after the success of Black Album Dave definitely went a different direction. But an album like Dystopia is miles better than anything Metallica has put out in 30 years

Yep, Dystopia and Endgame are amazing.

DaneMcCloud 09-25-2020 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 15192016)

Dystopia is bad ass. I still prefer Marty's playing to any of the other guys he's had in the band but I do like Kiko better than the rest.

I'm really looking forward to hearing Dirk on drums because while it seems like the metal community worships Chris Adler, I didn't hear anything special from him on that album. It was fine, which is expected but it wasn't mind blowing or anything even close to that.

DaneMcCloud 09-25-2020 12:54 PM

As for Metallica "versus" Megadeth, they're two completely different bands with completely different styles and IMO, the only thing they share (beyond Dave in Metallica for 4 minutes) is that they're both classified as Metal bands.

Countdown to Extinction is nothing like the Black album. Megadeth's musicianship has always been lightyears ahead of Metallica's but Hetfield's voice just so perfectly fits the genre, whereas Dave's falls into that Billy Corgan category.

Kirk Hammett isn't a very technical player, nor does he draw upon several musical genres like Marty and Kiko have done over the years. Hammett's just a blues-based guy using Blues shapes and a wah while guys like Marty and Kiko are influenced by Eastern, Indian, Middle Eastern and Classical music when composing their solos.

Lars is certainly a groundbreaking drummer but the guy can't keep time to save his life.

htismaqe 09-25-2020 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15192037)
Dystopia is bad ass. I still prefer Marty's playing to any of the other guys he's had in the band but I do like Kiko better than the rest.

I'm really looking forward to hearing Dirk on drums because while it seems like the metal community worships Chris Adler, I didn't hear anything special from him on that album. It was fine, which is expected but it wasn't mind blowing or anything even close to that.

Marty will always be the pinnacle for me too but even after he left, the DNA of the band was altered. They never really went back to the old "Dave first" formula. Every new guitarist they added was unique in his own right. Even The System Has Failed which featured Chris Poland wasn't the old formula from when he was in the band before.

htismaqe 09-25-2020 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15192041)
As for Metallica "versus" Megadeth, they're two completely different bands with completely different styles and IMO, the only thing they share (beyond Dave in Metallica for 4 minutes) is that they're both classified as Metal bands.

Countdown to Extinction is nothing like the Black album. Megadeth's musicianship has always been lightyears ahead of Metallica's but Hetfield's voice just so perfectly fits the genre, whereas Dave's falls into that Billy Corgan category.

Kirk Hammett isn't a very technical player, nor does he draw upon several musical genres like Marty and Kiko have done over the years. Hammett's just a blues-based guy using Blues shapes and a wah while guys like Marty and Kiko are influenced by Eastern, Indian, Middle Eastern and Classical music when composing their solos.

Lars is certainly a groundbreaking drummer but the guy can't keep time to save his life.

Until 1990, they were both "thrash" bands. Metallica went to a more accessible sound, Megadeth went in a more technical direction.

While Kirk Hammett was taking lessons from Joe Satriani in the late 80's (along with guys like Alex Skolnick from Testament), Dave went straight to the source and got Marty out of that Shrapnel scene.

They just went in two different directions.

The sad thing about Hammett was that he was really starting to develop some technique in the years between Master and Justice and was studying the right things, but between the evolution of their sound and the fact that James was doing more than half of the studio soloing anyway, I think Kirk just said **** it and started hammering on his wah some more. LOL

DaneMcCloud 09-25-2020 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15192051)
Marty will always be the pinnacle for me too but even after he left, the DNA of the band was altered. They never really went back to the old "Dave first" formula. Every new guitarist they added was unique in his own right. Even The System Has Failed which featured Chris Poland wasn't the old formula from when he was in the band before.

I never cared for Chris Poland or Glen Drover in Megadeth. Drover was stuck in the 80's Neo-Classical trip and it just didn't work for me in that context.

Marty defined their sound, IMO and while Broderick was even more technically proficient than Marty, his solos were "cold" and never induced that "Wow!!!" factor that Marty's solos had for me. His work on Holy Wars is just ridiculously awesome.

I felt that Kiko's playing fit the band really well on Dystopia so I'm curious to see how much his influence has changed the band, if at all, and I'm looking forward to hearing the next album, which is supposedly, a continuation of Dystopia.

L.A. Chieffan 09-25-2020 01:08 PM

Give us your honest opinion on Lars Dane. Haha don't hold back please

DaneMcCloud 09-25-2020 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15192064)
The sad thing about Hammett was that he was really starting to develop some technique in the years between Master and Justice and was studying the right things, but between the evolution of their sound and the fact that James was doing more than half of the studio soloing anyway, I think Kirk just said **** it and started hammering on his wah some more. LOL

Bob Rock did not like Kirk's playing, which is why Hetfield did so many of the solos on the Black Album.

It's also the main reason why all of the songs and albums after that point, all of which were produced by Rock, didn't feature any guitar solos. Death Magnetic saw the return of guitar solos but by that time, they'd moved on from Bob.

That said, it would be very strange to hear Marty Friedman or Kiko in Megadeth because they're just too technically proficient for that band, especially considering Lars can't keep time worth a damn.

htismaqe 09-25-2020 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15192066)
I never cared for Chris Poland or Glen Drover in Megadeth. Drover was stuck in the 80's Neo-Classical trip and it just didn't work for me in that context.

Drover's work wasn't their finest hour but his whole Neo-classical thing is more of what I'm talking about - the band changed after Marty. They always tried new wrinkles but they never went back to the old "thrash or die" formula.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15192066)
Marty defined their sound, IMO and while Broderick was even more technically proficient than Marty, his solos were "cold" and never induced that "Wow!!!" factor that Marty's solos had for me. His work on Holy Wars is just ridiculously awesome.

In many ways, Chris is your stereotypical classically trained musician. He's very robotic, watching him play is interesting as a metalhead because he does not really seem to "feel" anything. As for Marty, he was wholly unique for his time. Incorporating eastern music, the different modes and atypical arpeggios he used. And most of all, his bends. The way he does those bends - his solo album Dragon's Kiss is, to this day, one of the best albums I've ever heard.

htismaqe 09-25-2020 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15192077)
Bob Rock did not like Kirk's playing, which is why Hetfield did so many of the solos on the Black Album.

It's also the main reason why all of the songs and albums after that point, all of which were produced by Rock, didn't feature any guitar solos. Death Magnetic saw the return of guitar solos but by that time, they'd moved on from Bob.

That said, it would be very strange to hear Marty Friedman or Kiko in Megadeth because they're just too technically proficient for that band, especially considering Lars can't keep time worth a damn.

Master of Puppets is the only Metallica album that approaches the level of guitar playing I expect after being a Megadeth fan for so long. Bob Rock is basically the reason I hate Metallica to this day. He basically turned them into a grunge band. I love guitar solos, why take them away?

DaneMcCloud 09-25-2020 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 15192075)
Give us your honest opinion on Lars Dane. Haha don't hold back please

Lars is definitely a pioneer, not only because of the fact that he helped to create Thrash but the sound of his drums were unlike pretty much any metal band up until that point.

But his timing problems are very well known.

I'm pretty sure I've shared this story before but Andy Johns told me way back in 1993 that Lars was so bad during the recording of the Black album that Bob spent months editing his tracks by hand (i.e., cutting tape). The timing was so bad that after the drums had been edited to be in time, Lars had to go back and re-hit all of the cymbals and hi hats because the decay had been cut out, making the cymbal hit end too abruptly.

Deberg_1990 09-25-2020 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15192085)
Master of Puppets is the only Metallica album that approaches the level of guitar playing I expect after being a Megadeth fan for so long. Bob Rock is basically the reason I hate Metallica to this day. He basically turned them into a grunge band. I love guitar solos, why take them away?

Rock was basically a pop metal producer during that era right? I know alot of people dump on him, but he did what he did very well.

Id blame Metallica more for voluntarily changing their sound. I even like some of their stuff during tha Bob Rock era, but yea, its not like it was during the Puppets phase.

L.A. Chieffan 09-25-2020 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15192087)
Lars is definitely a pioneer, not only because of the fact that he helped to create Thrash but the sound of his drums were unlike pretty much any metal band up until that point.

But his timing problems are very well known.

I'm pretty sure I've shared this story before but Andy Johns told me way back in 1993 that Lars was so bad during the recording of the Black album that Bob spent months editing his tracks by hand (i.e., cutting tape). The timing was so bad that after the drums had been edited to be in time, Lars had to go back and re-hit all of the cymbals and hi hats because the decay had been cut out, making the cymbal hit end too abruptly.

I heard he had a lot of help on ...And Justice.

L.A. Chieffan 09-25-2020 03:15 PM

A little OT but today btw is the anniversary of Black Sabbath Vol. 4...All Hail Iommi!!

htismaqe 09-25-2020 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 15192112)
Rock was basically a pop metal producer during that era right? I know alot of people dump on him, but he did what he did very well.

Id blame Metallica more for voluntarily changing their sound. I even like some of their stuff during tha Bob Rock era, but yea, its not like it was during the Puppets phase.

Blame Lars and James. It was their band. They ****ed Jason Newsted and ruined Justice by turning him down in the mix. They ****ed Hammett by James taking over pretty much everything on the guitar.

James and Lars are the band. Everybody else is along for the ride.

htismaqe 09-25-2020 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 15192372)
A little OT but today btw is the anniversary of Black Sabbath Vol. 4...All Hail Iommi!!

https://external-content.duckduckgo....jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Deberg_1990 09-26-2020 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15191732)
Yes, with Jason Becker, who later joined David Lee Roth only to have his career cut short by ALS.

Becker was actually diagnosed in 1990 and is STILL ALIVE. Pretty amazing story and there's a documentary out there you should watch about it.

Just watched the doc. That was tough to watch at times. What could have been... But good for Jason for being able to get back to creating music again. Amazing that he is still alive!

Simply Red 09-26-2020 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10395980)
Graduated HS in 1991. :D

I too loved Metallica, Megadeth, Overkill, Slayer, Death Angel, Anthrax, Testament, and too many more to name. I was skater punk, as were most of my friends.

However, I was also drawn to Ozzy, Dio, Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani, and stuff like that at the same time. I had a "thing" for guitar virtuosity.

For me, "Rust in Peace" and "Countdown to Extinction" are the perfect blend of BOTH and will always occupy a very special place in my musical psyche.

Me too!

Simply Red 09-26-2020 06:46 PM

best Metallica song ever - Sanitarium

GloucesterChief 09-26-2020 10:27 PM

I find it highly entertaining that Marty mostly now writes music for male idol groups in Japan and plays some guitar for Moimoiro Clover Z.

Mahomes_Is_God 09-27-2020 03:46 AM

Metallica is the greatest band of all time. It's not even close.

InChiefsHeaven 09-27-2020 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahomes_Is_God (Post 15194410)

No. So there.:harumph:

htismaqe 09-27-2020 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 15194251)
I find it highly entertaining that Marty mostly now writes music for male idol groups in Japan and plays some guitar for Moimoiro Clover Z.

Yeah, he moved to Japan in 2003 and really integrated himself into society. He's written a lot of Japanese-influenced material (his obsession really started even while he was in Megadeth, Scenes is a pretty different album).

I want to say he does a lot of TV over there too.

htismaqe 09-27-2020 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahomes_Is_God (Post 15194410)

ROFLROFLROFL

GloucesterChief 09-27-2020 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15194769)
Yeah, he moved to Japan in 2003 and really integrated himself into society. He's written a lot of Japanese-influenced material (his obsession really started even while he was in Megadeth, Scenes is a pretty different album).

I want to say he does a lot of TV over there too.

Apparently while Dave was shooting up on the tour bus Marty was teaching himself Japanese.

He is probably a bigger celebrity there than here as he was on morning shows and had his own interview show. Also, being associated with one of the biggest idol groups in the country doesn't hurt.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OpR6u8Ax4bQ?start=44" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Demonpenz 09-27-2020 01:50 PM

Metallica has one of the best metal albums and one of the best rock albums. No other band has been able to cross over so well /Reaper16

Pushead2 09-28-2020 12:43 AM

This is quite the thread.

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.town...size=750%2C526

Simply Red 09-28-2020 01:24 AM

Ministry better than both.

Pushead2 09-28-2020 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 15197145)

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a7/4e...f86df2970b.jpg

Gadzooks 09-28-2020 04:43 AM

Hammett's solo in Dyers Eve is easily in my top 10 all time. Expert use of the wah and not lazy at all.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/v6kb5fvv6_A?start=203" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

htismaqe 09-28-2020 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 15197145)

https://external-content.duckduckgo....gif&f=1&nofb=1

Ministry is great but not better than Megadeth, sorry.

htismaqe 09-28-2020 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadzooks (Post 15197203)
Hammett's solo in Dyers Eve is easily in my top 10 all time. Expert use of the wah and not lazy at all.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/v6kb5fvv6_A?start=203" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Never said his early stuff was lazy.

He only got really lazy with the wah after James took the ball away from him and never gave it back.

James Hetfield is a douche.

Munson 09-28-2020 10:31 AM

One of my favorite Megadeth songs.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/l3RsOxKHr6k" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pushead2 09-28-2020 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munson (Post 15197676)
One of my favorite Megadeth songs.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/l3RsOxKHr6k" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Definitely agree, it's one of mine too.

Simply Red 09-28-2020 11:19 PM

ridicule me all you want with your dumb memes But i'd take Al J. over any other metal out there. You all should do some research on Alan Jorgensen and all the bands he has. Sample some.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XYYGKCanqfA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Simply Red 09-28-2020 11:21 PM

plus their drummer was pretty decent - lol

Simply Red 09-28-2020 11:26 PM

this was AL with Revolting Cocks - in the middle of the Front 242 industrial metal movement. Great song to get hammered to. I don't do that now - BUT, it used to be. Many memories to this track:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5sbjtsq1ro0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Third Eye 09-29-2020 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 15202176)
ridicule me all you want with your dumb memes But i'd take Al J. over any other metal out there. You all should do some research on Alan Jorgensen and all the bands he has. Sample some.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XYYGKCanqfA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I’m not sure that I’d call Ministry metal, but they are comparable to Metallica and Megadeth in the context that they all had roughly 3 good albums and 20 okay to bad ones. Now in fairness, the 3 good ones are amazing for all of them.

Simply Red 09-29-2020 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 15202985)
I’m not sure that I’d call Ministry metal, but they are comparable to Metallica and Megadeth in the context that they all had roughly 3 good albums and 20 okay to bad ones. Now in fairness, the 3 good ones are amazing for all of them.

Industrial Metal

Third Eye 09-29-2020 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 15203258)
Industrial Metal

I’ll allow it, though I’d say their best albums (The Land of Rape and Honey and The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste) aren’t even that. They definitely moved that way with Psalm 69 and beyond.

htismaqe 09-29-2020 01:59 PM

Gotta agree with Third Eye on Ministry.

Great band but not really metal except for some notable exceptions.

And I agree that Metallica had about 3 good albums.

Don't agree on Megadeth though. Their isn't a mediocre album in their entire discography.

Third Eye 09-29-2020 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15203477)
Gotta agree with Third Eye on Ministry.

Great band but not really metal except for some notable exceptions.

And I agree that Metallica had about 3 good albums.

Don't agree on Megadeth though. Their isn't a mediocre album in their entire discography.

If I’m being honest, Countdown turned me off so much that I kind of put them on the backburner. Then Marty left a few albums later and I just never went back. Rust in Peace still gets a lot of play though.

htismaqe 09-29-2020 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 15203920)
If I’m being honest, Countdown turned me off so much that I kind of put them on the backburner. Then Marty left a few albums later and I just never went back. Rust in Peace still gets a lot of play though.

If Countdown turned you off, you wouldn't like Risk. ;)

That being said, Endgame and Dystopia are amazing.

Simply Red 09-29-2020 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 15203273)
I’ll allow it, though I’d say their best albums (The Land of Rape and Honey and The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste) aren’t even that. They definitely moved that way with Psalm 69 and beyond.

I enjoyed " In Case you didn't feel like showing up, 'Live.' "

Simply Red 09-29-2020 06:32 PM

though I believe it was what they used to refer to as an 'EP.'

htismaqe 09-29-2020 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 15204004)

Great album and not technically an EP, probably because it had 6 tracks and a running time over 35 minutes.

Deberg_1990 09-29-2020 06:53 PM

Jethro Tull is my favorite metal artist.

Third Eye 09-29-2020 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15203941)
If Countdown turned you off, you wouldn't like Risk. ;)

That being said, Endgame and Dystopia are amazing.

I’m probably not being fair to Countdown. I think more than anything I was turned off by the simplicity of Symphony of Destruction and I absolutely hate, HATE, that “Hello me, it’s me again” song for which I can’t remember the name. I’ll check out the two you mentioned.

Third Eye 09-29-2020 07:21 PM

Quote:

Yes! That version of So What is killer.

Deberg_1990 09-29-2020 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 15204114)
I absolutely hate, HATE, that “Hello me, it’s me again” song for which I can’t remember the name.

Sweating bullets

rabblerouser 09-30-2020 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 10397802)
Tell me one Newsted song where you ever thought, "Damn, that's some good bass playing!" Hell, he was completely mixed out of ...And Justice. I'm not saying Trujillo is a great player, but Newsted was a just a warm body. He contributed nothing.

Baseline of "My Friend of Misery" is pretty badass...

patteeu 09-30-2020 01:13 PM

Quote:

I don’t know what sub-genres are involved, but I’m with you. I’ll take peak Ministry over peak Metallica or Megadeth, although I do like all three.

KCUnited 09-30-2020 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 15204114)
I’m probably not being fair to Countdown. I think more than anything I was turned off by the simplicity of Symphony of Destruction and I absolutely hate, HATE, that “Hello me, it’s me again” song for which I can’t remember the name. I’ll check out the two you mentioned.

Holy shit, I was going to post the same thing but didn't want to get blasted.

Completely turns me off to anything Megadeth I hate it that much.

htismaqe 09-30-2020 03:35 PM

Sweating Bullets is iconic. You guys are silly.

htismaqe 09-30-2020 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 15205965)
I don’t know what sub-genres are involved, but I’m with you. I’ll take peak Ministry over peak Metallica or Megadeth, although I do like all three.

Industrial is the genre. Some of it is metal some of it not.

DaneMcCloud 09-30-2020 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15206348)

That entire album, at least for me, is freaking amazing. The production is flawless and everyone's playing at the top of their game.

Rust In Peace was a really great album but it just sounds too mushy for my ears. I greatly prefer the "tightness" of Countdown.

patteeu 09-30-2020 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15206350)
Industrial is the genre. Some of it is metal some of it not.

I kind of get it, I was just saying I'm not a genre nazi like Reaper was. i just know what I like and it often involves heavy beats and a lot of repitition. :)

htismaqe 09-30-2020 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 15206427)
I kind of get it, I was just saying I'm not a genre nazi like Reaper was. i just know what I like and it often involves heavy beats and a lot of repitition. :)

Dude, I participate in a lot of metal groups and you have no idea. Genres are out of control and there's a lot of people that get flat out offended if you don't know the difference between blackened deathcore and death grind.

Might as well just call it was it is - the taxonomy of music.

Third Eye 09-30-2020 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 15205919)
Baseline of "My Friend of Misery" is pretty badass...

I don’t have any memory of posting that, but it was 6 years ago. I don’t really disagree with it, but it is kind of unfair. I stopped listening once the black album came out so he could’ve gone on to do some great things and I would have no idea.

htismaqe 09-30-2020 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 15206488)
I don’t have any memory of posting that, but it 6 was years ago. I don’t really disagree with it, but it is kind of unfair. I stopped listening once the black album came out so he could’ve gone on to do some great things and I would have no idea.

I stopped listening after they screwed Newsted and mixed him out of AJFA. There's very few people in the music industry I like less than Lars and James.

HC_Chief 09-30-2020 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 15204123)
Yes! That version of So What is killer.

Hell yes! Chris Connelly killed it.

I am so glad we have the ability to instantly watch/listen these days. My VHS and cassettes, along with a couple of boxes of flyers from The Outhouse were lost in a flood years ago. Sucks about the flyers, but thankfully people have digitized the audio/video :D

https://youtu.be/_TjzdbNwTCY

rabblerouser 09-30-2020 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 15206488)
I don’t have any memory of posting that, but it was 6 years ago. I don’t really disagree with it, but it is kind of unfair. I stopped listening once the black album came out so he could’ve gone on to do some great things and I would have no idea.

It's on the Black Album.

rabblerouser 09-30-2020 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15206359)
That entire album, at least for me, is freaking amazing. The production is flawless and everyone's playing at the top of their game.

Rust In Peace was a really great album but it just sounds too mushy for my ears. I greatly prefer the "tightness" of Countdown.

Countdown is GREAT.

"Skin Of My Teeth", "Foreclosure of a Dream", "Symphony of Destruction", and my personal favorite "High Speed Dirt".

htismaqe 09-30-2020 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 15206599)
Countdown is GREAT.

"Skin Of My Teeth", "Foreclosure of a Dream", "Symphony of Destruction", and my personal favorite "High Speed Dirt".

High Speed Dirt is one of my favorites as well.

Third Eye 09-30-2020 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 15206593)
It's on the Black Album.

I’m aware. Not because I remember anything from that forgettable album, but because I looked it up after you posted it. My comment was more in general and not in response to the song you posted.

DaneMcCloud 09-30-2020 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 15206599)
Countdown is GREAT.

I had just moved to northern California in the summer of 1993 with my bass player and drummer when I first got into that album. My best friend, bassist and roommate used to pull dopey scams all the time, including making up fake names for Columbia House Record Club and BMG Record Club.

I thought he was just joking but sure enough, 10 CD's arrived a few weeks after we rented our apartment and since we worked at the Berkeley Guitar Center, which was about 25 minutes from our pad, we listened to those CD's everyday.

Countdown To Extinction became a mainstay and we probably listened to it every day that summer on the commute, so not only do I have fond memories of being broke and making the best out of a bad situation (long story short, I was writing with a singer that had been previously signed and was a Bay area "Legend", so I moved up there at the behest of Vicki Hamilton of Geffen Records, only to have the singer bail after 2 months, forcing me to move back to LA), it is still an amazing album to boot.

While it's a bit "thin" sounding for my taste, Max Norman made it work perfectly and Marty's guitars are outright awesome.

Footnote: One of the other CD's he got with that scam was Bleach by Nirvana. We put that CD on and immediately looked at each other like "What the ****?!!!".

IMO, Butch Vig will never receive enough credit for making Nirvana appealing to the masses.

Deberg_1990 09-30-2020 08:28 PM

I like Youthanasia a lot too. Sort of a brother to countdown.

htismaqe 09-30-2020 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 15206940)
I like Youthanasia a lot too. Sort of a brother to countdown.

Yep.

Simply Red 09-30-2020 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 15205965)

LET'S GO PATTY!

KCUnited 10-01-2020 06:27 AM

https://i.imgur.com/bUNbTOg.jpg?1
Quote:

Hi. You don’t know me, but perhaps you have noticed me, as I have noticed you. Frankly in a scene this small, I have a hard time believing that you do not know of me. Well allow me to introduce myself. My name is Mark, also known at Metallica Mark, and for the past 6 years I have established myself as the guy who always wears a vintage Ride the Lightning t-shirt to shows. It is a shirt I can see you are familiar with. You are wearing one right now.
https://thehardtimes.net/blog/an-ope...-at-this-show/

PurpleJesus28 10-01-2020 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15206498)
I stopped listening after they screwed Newsted and mixed him out of AJFA. There's very few people in the music industry I like less than Lars and James.

I remember Jason said he came up with the bassline for My Friend Of Misery and hoped it would become an instrumental song like on their previous albums.But no,they took it and made it their own song,which its a good song,but damn.On the one hand they did screw Jason,because they were young and dumb and missed Cliff,but they also made him rich.I dunno,i miss his stage presence with the band,during their shows.The thing i remember most of the Black Album is those Year and Half in The Life videos,they clearly had a difficult time working with Bob Rock,but eventually made the album they wanted.

Gadzooks 10-02-2020 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15206848)
IMO, Butch Vig will never receive enough credit for making Nirvana appealing to the masses.

I also think Andy Wallace's mix was a big help for that album.

Apparently the band hated the mix because the drums were too "clean". (he replaced the bass an snare sounds with his signature sounds)

Compare Butch's initial mix to Andy's and anyone can see how Wallace helped make them more appealing, not to mention the countless other successes he had with other bands in that era.

But yes, Nirvana probably wouldn't have been anything at all without Butch and Kurt Cobain may still be alive because Courtney would've stayed with Billy Corgan and wouldn't have had Kurt shot in the face.

Deberg_1990 10-04-2020 08:27 AM

This is pretty funny. For those of you that remember 'The Ben Still Show' and that era. Stiller really nails the James Hetfield of that time.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8mz1OOptKPs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Deberg_1990 01-24-2021 01:21 PM

Htismage, you probably already know about this....

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Peace-In...timategui0f-20

morphius 01-25-2021 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15206348)

That used to be my go to album for first person shooters, lol

I must think it was that it got so much playtime on MTV that people hate it.

Pitt Gorilla 01-25-2021 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 15214638)
This is pretty funny. For those of you that remember 'The Ben Still Show' and that era. Stiller really nails the James Hetfield of that time.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8mz1OOptKPs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Ben Stiller Show was brilliant.