ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Books Science Fiction and Fantasy Books Only Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=257566)

Braincase 08-01-2012 03:17 PM

Recently finished "Redshirts" by John Scalzi, narrated by Wil Wheaton. Fantastic, and recommended for ST:TOS fans. Also finished "Fuzzy Nation", a modern update of the classic H. Beam Piper "Little Fuzzy" from '62. Once again, narrated by Wheaton. Fantastic. Currently doing another Scalzi/Wheaton audiobook, "Agent to the Stars". I'm having a blast.

Megbert 08-01-2012 03:21 PM

Finally read Ender's Game - really enjoyable book glad I finally read.

The Strain - Del Toro and Chuck Hogan - pretty good 'summer blockbuster' type of book. Part 1 of a trilogy.

Reading now - Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. Taking some time with this one. Set in early 20th century England. Worth checking out.

NewChief 08-01-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZORChiefFan (Post 8783822)
Finally read Ender's Game - really enjoyable book glad I finally read.

The Strain - Del Toro and Chuck Hogan - pretty good 'summer blockbuster' type of book. Part 1 of a trilogy.

Reading now - Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. Taking some time with this one. Set in early 20th century England. Worth checking out.

I really thought I would like Jonathan Strange...but I didn't. Just sort of boring to me, unfortunately.

You definitely need to read Ender's Shadow since you read Ender's Game. It's, arguably, better. The series drops off pretty steeply for me after those two books, but a lot of people like them all.

Megbert 08-01-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8783838)
I really thought I would like Jonathan Strange...but I didn't. Just sort of boring to me, unfortunately.

You definitely need to read Ender's Shadow since you read Ender's Game. It's, arguably, better. The series drops off pretty steeply for me after those two books, but a lot of people like them all.

I had read about 140 pages of Jonathan Strange before I gave up. Just picked up again a week or so ago. Its a bit of a slog but I like the subtle jabs it takes at society in turn of the century England.

Buck 08-02-2012 10:04 AM

How long in The Name of the Wind does Kvothe's back story go on for? I'm definitely interested in it, but the stuff with the Scraels in current day seems more interesting. So far I'm enjoying the shit out of this novel.

Braincase 08-10-2012 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 8783812)
Recently finished "Redshirts" by John Scalzi, narrated by Wil Wheaton. Fantastic, and recommended for ST:TOS fans. Also finished "Fuzzy Nation", a modern update of the classic H. Beam Piper "Little Fuzzy" from '62. Once again, narrated by Wheaton. Fantastic. Currently doing another Scalzi/Wheaton audiobook, "Agent to the Stars". I'm having a blast.

Finished "Agent to the Stars" by Scalzi. Had a couple of nice twists that kept the story interesting. Thought about either listening to some classic sci-fi ("Foundation" by Isaac Asimov) or an action/thriller ("The Lions of Lucerne" by Brad Thor), but I looked over my audiobook list and realized I had another Scalzi/Wheaton collaboration on my Zune... "The Android's Dream"... starts off with a human trade negotiator killing an alien emissary with a series of insulting farts.

Jawshco 08-10-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 8805017)
Finished "Agent to the Stars" by Scalzi. Had a couple of nice twists that kept the story interesting. Thought about either listening to some classic sci-fi ("Foundation" by Isaac Asimov) or an action/thriller ("The Lions of Lucerne" by Brad Thor), but I looked over my audiobook list and realized I had another Scalzi/Wheaton collaboration on my Zune... "The Android's Dream"... starts off with a human trade negotiator killing an alien emissary with a series of insulting farts.

Sold! LOL. I gotta read that now. LMAO

There is a Doctor Who parody with Rowan Atkinson where he uses Alien fart language to communicate with his companion.

Megbert 08-10-2012 02:55 PM

Put Jonathan Strange aside for now. Picked up Mistborn trilogy. About 100 pages into first book. Liking it so far.

Read The Graveyard Book by Gaiman a couple months ago. Really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the movie adaptation.

NewChief 08-10-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZORChiefFan (Post 8806231)
Put Jonathan Strange aside for now. Picked up Mistborn trilogy. About 100 pages into first book. Liking it so far.

Read The Graveyard Book by Gaiman a couple months ago. Really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the movie adaptation.

Jonathan Strangr started dragging for you too? I liked it, but at a certain point the book wasn't calling for me to pick it up and read nightly.

Pants 08-11-2012 10:31 AM

Just started reading "Rendezvous with Rama" by Arthur C. Clarke. Supposed to be one of the greatest works of science fiction ever. The first few chapters are pretty intriguing.

Megbert 08-11-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8806782)
Jonathan Strangr started dragging for you too? I liked it, but at a certain point the book wasn't calling for me to pick it up and read nightly.

Pretty much. Felt more like a chore or reading for an assignment rather than reading for enjoyment.

Buck 08-11-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8809383)
Just started reading "Rendezvous with Rama" by Arthur C. Clarke. Supposed to be one of the greatest works of science fiction ever. The first few chapters are pretty intriguing.

That one is a mind trip.

One of the few books that really made me think about what we're here for.

Bowser 08-11-2012 01:10 PM

I tried to go the audio route with The Dreaming Void, by Peter F. Hamilton. The story sounds interesting, but the narrator isn't working for me.

Pants 08-11-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8809608)
That one is a mind trip.

One of the few books that really made me think about what we're here for.

Awesome. I like that. :)

Braincase 08-23-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 8805017)

Finished "Year Zero" by Robert Reid. Don't waste your time. It's a great big "Microsoft Sucks" piece.

Started a good one though, "The Long Earth" by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. Lots of potential here.

Huffmeister 08-23-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Great book. I love "discovery and exploration" stories. Another great book in that genre is Ringworld by Larry Niven. It's a really cool premise and has some pretty interesting concepts.

vailpass 08-23-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the tip, just e-reserved it at the library. AC Clarke kicks it old school.

listopencil 08-23-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8783838)

I enjoyed "Speaker For The Dead" but nothing in that series came close to the first book in my opinion. I did really enjoy the Prentice Alvin series by Card.

Braincase 08-23-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 8844488)
I enjoyed "Speaker For The Dead" but nothing in that series came close to the first book in my opinion. I did really enjoy the Prentice Alvin series by Card.

Slide over to "Ender's Shadow","Shadow of the Hegemon", "Shadow Puppets", and "Shadow of the Giant".

listopencil 08-23-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 8844551)
Slide over to "Ender's Shadow","Shadow of the Hegemon", "Shadow Puppets", and "Shadow of the Giant".

I don't remember where I tailed off on that series. I might have read all of those, I'll have to look at the synopsis of each online. I do enjoy Card's writing, I'd say he took the place of Heinlein in my mind.

Braincase 08-23-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8675396)
Have you read Dune yet? That's a really good audiobook with an ensemble cast, runs a little over 20 hours.

Hyperion by Dan Simmons is also really good. Also an ensemble cast as I recall. Also a little over 20 hours.

If you want to go insanely long you could always do Ken Follet's The Pillars of the Earth. Yeah, not SFF, but it's 40+ hours for 1 credit.

Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings is a whopping 45 hours for 1 credit. That's the first book in a series he began two years ago. I think it's the best thing he's written so far.

And then there's Patrick Rothfuss. The first book of the Kingkiller Chronicles, The Name of the Wind is 28 hours for 1 credit, and the second, The Wise Man's Fear, is 43.

That's all I can find in my library that I like, that's 1 credit, and that's looong.

Oh, oh, one more. Neil Gaiman's American Gods. That's the original version with George Guidall, which I love. They did an ensemble 10th anniversary version too, but I've only listened to the Guidall one. Both are in the 20 hour neighborhood.

Note: Audible cranked "The Way of Kings" back up to 2 credits, so I checked it's availability on an "alternative audio library" site. Downloading via bittorrent now. Then I'll use ZODWC to create a .wax file and transfer it onto my .mp3 player.

Pants 08-24-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 8844236)
Great book. I love "discovery and exploration" stories. Another great book in that genre is Ringworld by Larry Niven. It's a really cool premise and has some pretty interesting concepts.

I really loved Rama, man. It's kind of crazy how your mind just starts developing theories as you go along with the story. I'm going to have to check Ringworld out, thank man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8844409)
Thanks for the tip, just e-reserved it at the library. AC Clarke kicks it old school.

Yeah, man, let me know what you think. Clarke is definitely old school. Dude knew WTF he was doing, though. Kind of mind-blowing, really.

listopencil 08-26-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8849711)
I really loved Rama, man. It's kind of crazy how your mind just starts developing theories as you go along with the story. I'm going to have to check Ringworld out, thank man.

Yup. You owe it to yourself. Niven is very, very good and the original in this series is a classic.

vailpass 08-27-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 8856034)
Yup. You owe it to yourself. Niven is very, very good and the original in this series is a classic.

Yeah Niven is a trip. Dude was/is prolific, bet his biblio is a mile long.

vailpass 08-27-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8849711)

Yeah, man, let me know what you think. Clarke is definitely old school. Dude knew WTF he was doing, though. Kind of mind-blowing, really.

Will do. Picking it up when I take the kids for the weekly library trip this Wednesday.

keg in kc 08-28-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 8844607)
Note: Audible cranked "The Way of Kings" back up to 2 credits, so I checked it's availability on an "alternative audio library" site. Downloading via bittorrent now. Then I'll use ZODWC to create a .wax file and transfer it onto my .mp3 player.

Yeah, sorry about that. That was actually a mistake on my part. I guess I never remembered to edit that post.

oldandslow 08-28-2012 03:57 PM

Oldandslow's Top 10

10 - Shute "on the beach"
09 - Brin "the postman"
08 - McCarthy "the road
07 - King's "the stand"
06 - Niven & Pournell "lucifer's hammer"
05 - Cronin - "the passage"
04 - Bacigualupi "the wind up girl"
03 - McCammon "swan song"
02 - Stewart "earth abides"
01 - Frank - "alas babylon"

I love this genre of fiction. I sometimes wish I hadn't read the best yet, so that I could experience them again. Driving on the train tracks in "Lucifer's Hammer," or the brother giving the code word in "alas, babylon", or the soldier and his wife crying as they put down their baby as well as themselves in "on the beach" are some of the most humbling and emotional reading excercises I have ever experienced.

Frosty 08-28-2012 04:16 PM

Thanks for mentioning 'Swan Song". That's one of my favorite books, on par with 'The Stand", but I don't think many know about it.

I read 'Lucifer's Hammer" when I was a kid and remembered liking it. I picked it up again recently and started re-reading it. I burned through the first half but kind of slowed down after that and then got stuck about 100 pages from the end. I'll pick it up again at some point to finish it but kind of went in a different direction in the meantime.

Braincase 08-29-2012 04:12 PM

Just finished "The Long Earth" by Terry Pratchett & Brandon Sanderson. Very good book, has potential to become a great series if they want to serialize it.

L.A. Chieffan 11-24-2012 03:29 PM

Reading The Passage after a recommendation. Very entertaining.

whoman69 11-24-2012 05:33 PM

Going to get a kindle for Christmas. Maybe I can start up reading again. Really want to read the last book in the Wheel of Time series.

Braincase 11-24-2012 05:37 PM

GOing old school (?), and I've been listening to The Belgariad by David Eddings. I'm into The Castle of Wizardry, with Enchanter's Endgame on deck.

patteeu 11-24-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 9146810)
GOing old school (?), and I've been listening to The Belgariad by David Eddings. I'm into The Castle of Wizardry, with Enchanter's Endgame on deck.

Listening to books isn't really old school. Back in the day we used to read them. :p

Ebolapox 11-24-2012 07:52 PM

the newest Dresden Files book by Jim Butcher comes out Tuesday. SQUEE!

Braincase 11-25-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9146828)
Listening to books isn't really old school. Back in the day we used to read them. :p

Yeah, I know where you're coming from. It's almost a necessity for me. One hour commute to work and back, and in my down time, I have to get ready to certify on Windows 8, Windows Server 2012, Microsoft Lync Server 2012 and Microsoft Exchange 13, so basically 5 different MCSE tracks between now and the end of next year.

Frosty 12-08-2012 12:02 PM

Due to all the fanboi love for it, I picked up the Star Wars Thrawn series.

I'm about halfway through the first one and I'm hoping someone here can tell me the books get better as they go along. :(

Braincase 12-18-2012 09:51 PM

Just finished the Belgariad by David Eddings. Not bad. Just started "Eon" by Greg Bear. Really liking it a couple of hours in.

listopencil 12-19-2012 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldandslow (Post 8860088)
Oldandslow's Top 10

10 - Shute "on the beach"
09 - Brin "the postman"
08 - McCarthy "the road
07 - King's "the stand"
06 - Niven & Pournell "lucifer's hammer"
05 - Cronin - "the passage"
04 - Bacigualupi "the wind up girl"
03 - McCammon "swan song"
02 - Stewart "earth abides"
01 - Frank - "alas babylon"

I love this genre of fiction. I sometimes wish I hadn't read the best yet, so that I could experience them again. Driving on the train tracks in "Lucifer's Hammer," or the brother giving the code word in "alas, babylon", or the soldier and his wife crying as they put down their baby as well as themselves in "on the beach" are some of the most humbling and emotional reading excercises I have ever experienced.

Lots of great stuff on that list, but I have to say that "Earth Abides" is one of my favorite books of all time.

listopencil 12-19-2012 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 9148083)
Yeah, I know where you're coming from. It's almost a necessity for me. One hour commute to work and back, and in my down time, I have to get ready to certify on Windows 8, Windows Server 2012, Microsoft Lync Server 2012 and Microsoft Exchange 13, so basically 5 different MCSE tracks between now and the end of next year.

I have tried audio books and I just can't do it. When I read I visualize to heavily to be aware of my surroundings, and I can't stand the pacing of a recorded spoken story.

Frosty 12-19-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 9222826)
Just finished the Belgariad by David Eddings.

One thing about Eddings is that once you've read one of his series, you've read them all. He just puts different names on them but the characters are the same. They even have the same banter during their quests.

Braincase 12-19-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9223122)
I have tried audio books and I just can't do it. When I read I visualize to heavily to be aware of my surroundings, and I can't stand the pacing of a recorded spoken story.

I understand completely. But, in my case the only real opportunity I have to focus on fiction (and some non-fiction) is while I'm commuting. Considering the state of sports talk radio in Kansas City, I'm better off listening to books than some of the jackhammers that have airtime.

Braincase 01-23-2013 09:54 AM

Decided to go old school on my listening the past couple of weeks. Came into the complete audio recordings of Heinlein. Started off with "Methuselah's Children" and am now almost through the original "Starship Troopers". 2 thoughts on Starship Troopers - it's little wonder that it's on the reading lists for all of the service academies, and is required reading at one (West Point?). I also now have so much more disdain for the crappy movie that bears the name. A featured element of the book is the powered armor, very novel at the time of it's writing in 1959, and that was completely absent... a well as butchering the story. I've got "Stranger in a Strange Land" ready next, then we dive a little deeper into the chronicles of Lazarus Long.

Frosty 01-23-2013 10:06 AM

I'll have to read "Stranger in a Strange Land" again someday. I liked a lot of Heinlein but I thought that one was boring. However, I read it in high school so may be able to appreciate it differently now.

duncan_idaho 01-23-2013 10:17 AM

Recently started the Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

Taking my time with this one. The story is pretty complex and difficult to follow in the early going (Lots of characters, lots of places, lots to learn/get used to), but I can feel the epic scope coming.

I also tore through the "Schools Out" series by Scott Andrews of late. It's a post-apocalyptic series set in England after a worldwide plague. Story centers around a soldier's kid who attends an all-boys military school in the English countryside, and the school's attempts to survive sans-adults in a world that's falling apart.

Pretty awesome stuff. Gritty, fast-paced, and engaging.

Huffmeister 01-23-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9343973)
I'll have to read "Stranger in a Strange Land" again someday. I liked a lot of Heinlein but I thought that one was boring. However, I read it in high school so may be able to appreciate it differently now.

I tried reading it a few years ago, and just couldn't get into it.

Frosty 01-23-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 9344078)
I tried reading it a few years ago, and just couldn't get into it.

"I Will Fear No Evil", which was about an old guy who gets his brain transplanted into a young woman's body, was another I tried reading around the same time and didn't care for. I guess I'm an "Early Heinlein" type of reader.

QuikSsurfer 01-23-2013 01:21 PM

I've been reading Ship of Fools the last few days -- WOW.. FANTASTIC BOOK!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ook_cover).jpg

Quote:

The Argonos is a space-faring Generation ship containing thousands of humans. The Argonos has presumably been traveling through space for centuries upon centuries. The original goal of the Argonos has been lost over time; no one on board can say for certain of their origins. A class-system has developed in which the commoners and poor serve in the lower levels and provide maintenance for the ship. By contrast, the upper-class maintain positions of power. A Bishop sits as the head of the Church which yields some influence over the people and the Bishop himself is a member of the Executive Council which governs the Argonos. When a signal is received, a team aboard the Argonos prepare to make a landing on the first alien planet which has been encountered in years.

listopencil 01-23-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9343973)

It goes into political intrigue, philosophy and is probably more "social fiction" than science fiction. It's the book that resulted (anecdotally) from his bet with L. Ron Hubbard as to who could create a religion first. Hubbard won the bet with Dianetics. Heinlein himself criticized the book.

listopencil 01-23-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9344168)
"I Will Fear No Evil", which was about an old guy who gets his brain transplanted into a young woman's body, was another I tried reading around the same time and didn't care for. I guess I'm an "Early Heinlein" type of reader.

It was a goofy, and clumsy, attempt at a story from a female's perspective. He did a much better job of it in Friday and To Sail Beyond The Sunset. As a warning, Sunset contains a lot of unusual and unconventional sexual situations. If you like his early stuff you'd probably prefer Friday.

listopencil 01-23-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 9343934)
Decided to go old school on my listening the past couple of weeks. Came into the complete audio recordings of Heinlein. Started off with "Methuselah's Children" and am now almost through the original "Starship Troopers". 2 thoughts on Starship Troopers - it's little wonder that it's on the reading lists for all of the service academies, and is required reading at one (West Point?). I also now have so much more disdain for the crappy movie that bears the name. A featured element of the book is the powered armor, very novel at the time of it's writing in 1959, and that was completely absent... a well as butchering the story. I've got "Stranger in a Strange Land" ready next, then we dive a little deeper into the chronicles of Lazarus Long.

Yeah. Anyone who read and enjoyed that book should absolutely despise the movie. It's a ridiculous parody. I'd recommend Time Enough For Love if you haven't read it yet and you're interested in the Lazarus Long character.

Frosty 01-23-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9344677)
It was a goofy, and clumsy, attempt at a story from a female's perspective. He did a much better job of it in Friday and To Sail Beyond The Sunset. As a warning, Sunset contains a lot of unusual and unconventional sexual situations. If you like his early stuff you'd probably prefer Friday.

Good to know. It seemed like 90% of the book was the two "minds" in the body talking to each other.

Braincase 06-18-2013 02:56 PM

So I started reading (listening) to the second "Lost Fleet" series by Jack Campbell. I've ruined it for myself. I've been watching too much Futurama lately, so now when "Black Jack Geary" has dialogue, I hear Zapp Branigan. And the rest of the Futurama characters fall in ...

Frosty 06-18-2013 03:18 PM

I know a lot of people have read Stephen King's Dark Tower series so I wanted ask this here:

I got to the fourth book, Wizard and Glass about a year and a half ago. I had burned through books 2 and 3 and it all came to a crashing halt with this book. It is so boring that I am having a hard time time getting through it. I put it down after the first third or so and will occasionally pick it up an endure another chapter or two before turning to something else to read.

This Amazon reviewer says it better than I can:

Quote:

Wholeheartedly agree with the above review, except I feel much more disdain for this part of the series. I literally RIPPED through books 1-3. One of them I think I even started and finished in a single weekend. Right from the beginning I found Wizard and Glass IV to be a snore and I found myself rereading sections because my mind kept wandering elsewhere. The interesting part is since the beginning of the series I've been dying to know more of Roland's past. This really didn't fit the bill.

Unfortunately, if you are like me, you will read every part of a series and will have no choice but to ENDURE this book. I am not sure how some people are giving this book 5 stars. They must really have an appreciation for all kinds of literature because I would give Books 1-3 five stars and this book...2 stars. While books 1-3 have a great sense of adventure, book IV is more of a love story with a lot of time devoted to characters you do not care about and have no reason to care about. It's incredibly long-winded with many pages spent on details that leave you wondering about the purpose of the last 50 pages was.

Maybe in the grand scheme of the series this interlude fits nicely, but damn is it tough to get through! I sincerely hope the rest of the series is not like this because I will likely not finish it. It seems each book gets longer and longer and I definitely cannot force myself through another chapter of this.
So, for those that have read the entire series, how critical is the uber-long flashback? I would like to get back to the present storyline. If I read a synopsis on wiki or something, could I accurately get the gist of things enough to skip the flashback and continue the current storyline or do I need to continue to force my way through it? I know this sounds bad but my reading time is extremely limited and I have a lot of books lined up. I have too many good books on tap to waste time having to force myself to slog through a book.

tl;dr : Wizard and Glass is boring

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-18-2013 03:24 PM

Neuromancer.It's not always enjoyable, but it's an incredibly rich read

keg in kc 06-18-2013 09:41 PM

I did recently read (in print!) Bitter Seeds, the first novel in Ian Tregillis' Milkweed Triptych, and holy crap, I can't wait to read the next two. It's hard to describe, but it's a WW2 alternative history with what's basically a Nazi team of X-Men fighting against Warlocks from England. But that's an oversimplification. It's awesome.

Buck 08-05-2013 09:52 PM

Somewhere in this thread I mentioned that I was reading The Name of the Wind.

Well I stopped reading about a third of the way through the book. Well I finally started reading it again and I read the middle third of the book today. I really like it and can't wait to finish it and see where this story is going.

QuikSsurfer 08-05-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9861663)
Somewhere in this thread I mentioned that I was reading The Name of the Wind.

Well I stopped reading about a third of the way through the book. Well I finally started reading it again and I read the middle third of the book today. I really like it and can't wait to finish it and see where this story is going.

You're welcome.

Buck 08-06-2013 11:13 PM

Well I should finish the book tomorrow night, and I'm getting to the point now that I'm not sure how big of a payoff there will be by the end of this story, but luckily there is a 2nd book already that I can pick up.

I know I'm probably wrong, but it seems like this book is "the college years" and that maybe the next one will be post-college?

Buck 08-08-2013 12:02 AM

Pretty sweet ending.

Can't wait to pick up book 2.

keg in kc 08-08-2013 12:05 AM

I just started reading Emperor of Thorns, third and I think final book in Mark Lawrence's 'Broken Empire'. I would recommend the series to anyone, first book is Prince of Thorns and second King of Thorns. Good mature fantasy.

Buck 08-10-2013 02:26 PM

Well this is extremely disappointing.

http://www.imgur.com/aoU7YPQ.jpeg

Bowser 08-10-2013 02:47 PM

I listened to Childhood's End on CD; never have read it. The book held up incredibly well for being 60 years old, imo. You can tell that book laid the foundation for a ton of sci-fi to come after it.

Bowser 08-10-2013 02:48 PM

I tried the audio route with Name of the Wind, but couldn't get into it. The narrator just wasn't working for me. I'll have to give it a try the old fashioned way.

Buck 08-10-2013 05:07 PM

I went to the store and bought the larger version of The Wise Man's Fear, started to read it, and realized maybe I want to read a different book in between these two.

I'm going to read Ship of Fools before I start The Wise Man's Fear.

QuikSsurfer 08-10-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9875153)
I went to the store and bought the larger version of The Wise Man's Fear, started to read it, and realized maybe I want to read a different book in between these two.

I'm going to read Ship of Fools before I start The Wise Man's Fear.

This book is fantastic!!!
I seriously can't recommend it enough.

jspchief 09-20-2013 06:30 PM

Really struggling finding good fantasy lately. Everything seems so juvenile.

Think I may have to fall back on sci-fi. So recommendations? Starship Troopers good?

keg in kc 09-21-2013 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 10003070)

What have you been reading? There's tons of good new mature stuff out there.

Loneiguana 09-21-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 10003070)

Think I may have to fall back on sci-fi. So recommendations? Starship Troopers good?

I really enjoyed Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon.

http://www.amazon.com/Altered-Carbon...Richard+Morgan

Quote:

In the twenty-fifth century, humankind has spread throughout the galaxy, monitored by the watchful eye of the U.N. While divisions in race, religion, and class still exist, advances in technology have redefined life itself. Now, assuming one can afford the expensive procedure, a person’s consciousness can be stored in a cortical stack at the base of the brain and easily downloaded into a new body (or “sleeve”) making death nothing more than a minor blip on a screen.

Ex-U.N. envoy Takeshi Kovacs has been killed before, but his last death was particularly painful. Dispatched one hundred eighty light-years from home, re-sleeved into a body in Bay City (formerly San Francisco, now with a rusted, dilapidated Golden Gate Bridge), Kovacs is thrown into the dark heart of a shady, far-reaching conspiracy that is vicious even by the standards of a society that treats “existence” as something that can be bought and sold. For Kovacs, the shell that blew a hole in his chest was only the beginning. . . .
If you haven't read anything by China Mieville, do so, any book is great.

And, as this is the first time I have seen this thread, how is the Wheel of Time series not listed in the opener?

keg in kc 09-21-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loneiguana (Post 10004173)
I really enjoyed Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon.

http://www.amazon.com/Altered-Carbon...Richard+Morgan

That's part of a trilogy, also has Broken Angels and Woken Furies.

It's very, very adult, just as a warning. Graphic sex and violence. Which I think is great, but some people are offended by it.

He has a really good fantasy series running as well, called A Land Fit For Heroes. It too contains graphic sex and violence, although this time with more of a homosexual bent. Two novels so far, The Steel Remains and The Cold Commands, with the third and I think final, The Dark Defiles, due sometime next year.

Loneiguana 09-21-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10004428)
That's part of a trilogy, also has Broken Angels and Woken Furies.

It's very, very adult, just as a warning. Graphic sex and violence. Which I think is great, but some people are offended by it.

He has a really good fantasy series running as well, called A Land Fit For Heroes. It too contains graphic sex and violence, although this time with more of a homosexual bent. Two novels so far, The Steel Remains and The Cold Commands, with the third and I think final, The Dark Defiles, due sometime next year.

I have Broken Angles, haven't read Woken Furies yet.

I'll have to check out his fantasy. Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't mind the adult content. One of my favorites parts of the books was how he showed the affect of being able to download into a new body on people like hookers.

Which brings me around to another Fantasy series: Terry Goodkinds Sword of Truth Series. There is an author who uses rape everywhere.

I'm also going to throw out Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Erikson.

keg in kc 09-21-2013 11:06 AM

I just started Erikson's series. I've found the first book to be okay, but hard to get through at times. I've heard it gets better in ensuing volumes. I think I have the 2nd and 3rd Malazan books waiting on the shelf.

I tried reading the Sword of Truth series, but thought it was terrible. Just cliche after cliche, and not very well-written in a general sense.

I'm sure I mentioned him earlier in the thread, but anything by Joe Abercrombie is good, whether it's his First Law trilogy, or the stand-alone books in that world.

I keep hearing good things about R. Scott Bakker, but I've had a hard time getting through his stuff. Just another name to throw out there, in any case.

I've liked Daniel Abraham's Dagger and Coin books a lot, The Dragon's Path, The King's Blood and the Tyrant's Law. He's also co-authored a solid science fiction series called The Expanse under the pseudonym James S.A. Corey. Novels there include Leviathan Wakes, Caliban's War and Abaddon's Gate.

Mr. Laz 09-21-2013 11:51 AM

Runelord series my David Farland
Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
The Dresden Files
Dragonriders Of Pern Anne Mccaffrey
Terry Brooks (Shannara series)
The Belgariad Series - David Eddings (read them years and years ago though)

Rausch 09-21-2013 01:05 PM

1) 1984 - it's not a theory it's a game plan for control. It's a warning to the world about how once complete control is given to the government there is absolutely no escape.

It's an eventuality. And you can hope and dream but once we hit that tipping point it's over.

2) A Clockwork Orange - I think the time has come and gone but the argument is mind control and behavior modification. If I can make you behave the way I want you to does that solve or create problems?

3) Farnham's Freehold - a very bold and honest view of how world dynamics would change if the Northern hemisphere decided to go nuclear. The science in the science-fiction is very wobbly but it's a damned good book that makes you think about just how you see people...

Bowser 09-21-2013 07:05 PM

Has anyone here tackled Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson? I'm doing the audiobook route with this one, as it is Game of Thrones long (34 discs!). Fantastic story taking place on three or four different stages at once, all getting tied together. Great read/listen.

For those that go the audiobook route, the narrator is William Dufris. He does as good a job reading this book as Roy Dotrice did on the first three books in the ASoIaF series. I may go find other audiobooks he has read just because he worked on them.

ChiefsFanatic 09-22-2013 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10005728)
Has anyone here tackled Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson? I'm doing the audiobook route with this one, as it is Game of Thrones long (34 discs!). Fantastic story taking place on three or four different stages at once, all getting tied together. Great read/listen.

For those that go the audiobook route, the narrator is William Dufris. He does as good a job reading this book as Roy Dotrice did on the first three books in the ASoIaF series. I may go find other audiobooks he has read just because he worked on them.

Cryptonomicon is one of my favorite books. There is a passage near the middle, that involves fecal matter, that had me laughing so hard I was in tears. Stephenson is one of my favorite authors as well. The Baroque cycle has characters related to the characters in Cryptonomicon.

keg in kc 09-22-2013 06:26 AM

I liked Crytponomicon the first time I read it (summer of 2008 I think it was). I tried reading it again this summer and stalled. Not sure why.

Dufris for me is a hit-or-miss narrator. I either really like his reading (first 3 books of Modesett's Imager Portfolio), or really hate his reading (Woken Furies, the final story of Metatropolis). Not much in the way of middle ground with him.

keg in kc 09-22-2013 06:31 AM

Two more names to add to the fantasy list (probably listed them both earlier in the thread, but it's early and I'm too lazy to look my own posts up):

Scott Lynch: The Lies of Locke Lamora and Red Seas Under Red Skies. His third novel in the Locke Lamora series, The Republic of Thieves, is coming out in a couple weeks.

Brent Weeks: The Night Angel Trilogy and The Lightbringer Series (currently 2/4 novels finished).

jiveturkey 09-22-2013 09:01 AM

There's a self published sci fi writter that I can't get enough off.

There are two series that I'm following.

Warrior's Wings (book 1)
http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Wings-W...9861917&sr=1-9

Odyssey One (book 1)
http://www.amazon.com/Into-Black-Ody...9861917&sr=1-7

I follow him on Google+ and I believe that he said Warrior's Wings will be at least a 15 book story arc. He's only done 4 so far.

Braincase 11-20-2013 11:07 AM

Currently into Book 8 of the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Having a blast with this series, but I know within the month I'll be through Book 14 and looking for a new fix.

Has anybody read the Nightside series by Simon R. Green? Looks like it's in the same vein as Butcher, but would like another opinion by someone with more experience with the series.

keg in kc 11-20-2013 12:02 PM

Love the Dresden books.

Sort of similar series that I like a lot is Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series, which right now includes Monster Hunter: International (self-published originally, believe it or not), Monster Hunter: Vendetta, Monster Hunter: Alpha and Monster Hunter: Legion. I think there's 3 more planned volumes. It's urban fantasy with a military bent.

He also has a trilogy called The Grimnoir Chronicles which was really good. Also urban fantasy, but set in the early 20th century (after WW1). Sort of a mix of hard boiled detective and military sci fi.

Similar series to that set during and after WW2 is Ian Iregillis' Milkweed Triptych, which I may have mentioned already. It's sort of like a german version of the X-men versus british wizards, with a sort of lovecraftian twist.

I think I'd recommend any or all of those after the Dresden Files.

Right now I'm working through Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen. Really, really good. Like can't put it down good.