ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cardinals ***Official 2022 STL Cardinals Thread*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=343036)

DJ's left nut 06-16-2022 08:46 AM

This guy right here:

https://cdn.mlbtraderumors.com/files...SI_9889410.jpg

Insists that while being a 1st round high school pitcher at an elite prep school he was the victim of racism.

It’s just another example of nothing ever being his fault and a terminal lack of self-awareness.

DJ's left nut 06-16-2022 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 16335844)
He is a hard core SJW on social media. Like really really hard core and says some really stupid shit in the process. For example he called out the Ray's players who didn't want to wear the rainbow patch for pride month on their jerseys like it was an obligation.

I've tried to chalk it up to being young.

He’s gotten more emphatic as he’s gotten older.

Age has nothing to do with it. He’s just a nutter.

George Liquor 06-16-2022 09:14 AM

Wait. What? I know Flaherty is a idiot on social media, but he has Shaun King syndrome too?

DJ's left nut 06-16-2022 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 16335905)
Wait. What? I know Flaherty is a idiot on social media, but he has Shaun King syndrome too?

Yup.

I mean - he was adopted so it's not like anyone can actually fact-check him (and seriously, can you even imagine Derrick Goold writing that piece if you could?). And everyone knows that you get more internet points if you have a higher intersectionality challenge coin...

Marcellus 06-16-2022 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16335917)
Yup.

I mean - he was adopted so it's not like anyone can actually fact-check him (and seriously, can you even imagine Derrick Goold writing that piece if you could?). And everyone knows that you get more internet points if you have a higher intersectionality challenge coin...

My favorite was a couple years ago when the BLM thing hit baseball and a Dispatch story about the team was written and it mentioned STL had only 2 black players at the time. Dexter Fowler and Jack Flaherty LMAO

I was like WTF? Thats about the time he went off the reservation with the BLM & SJW shit.

BigRedChief 06-16-2022 02:40 PM

I don’t follow entertainment types or sports players on Twitter. So I’m only seeing something when it goes viral. A post by a pitcher in the Cardinals ain’t going viral.

Anyway, he is gone when the rookie deal is near its end. He will sign a big deal with LA and be happy finally?

DJ's left nut 06-16-2022 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 16336290)
My favorite was a couple years ago when the BLM thing hit baseball and a Dispatch story about the team was written and it mentioned STL had only 2 black players at the time. Dexter Fowler and Jack Flaherty LMAO

I was like WTF? Thats about the time he went off the reservation with the BLM & SJW shit.

Flaherty is a lot like Tony Gonzalez was (y'know, absent the philanthropy and HoF production).

Gonzalez pretty loudly and clearly carried himself like he was too big for KC and it was a cowtown populated by rubes that were beneath him.

Flaherty is cut from the same cloth.

That dude wouldn't piss on a single one of us if we were on fire. We're simply a bunch of white-trash midwest rednecks to him.

DJ's left nut 06-16-2022 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16336490)
I don’t follow entertainment types or sports players on Twitter. So I’m only seeing something when it goes viral. A post by a pitcher in the Cardinals ain’t going viral.

Anyway, he is gone when the rookie deal is near its end. He will sign a big deal with LA and be happy finally?

Probably not.

But he'll get more attaboys for his unearned angst so that'll help, I guess.

Shoulda traded his ass to the Padres for Gore and Hassell when Gore's value was ass and Flaherty's was high (not hindsight - said this at the time).

There was never any reason to keep him here. If he pitches like a top of the rotation starter, he's gone. If he pitches like a middle/back of the rotation starter, he'll still demand ace money (because again - not at all self-aware) and if we sign him it will take about 2 months for the fanbase to turn against him and it'll just get ugly from there.

The Flaherty thing was never going to have a happy ending and I just do not understand why Mozeliak didn't dump him when his value was highest.

BigRedChief 06-16-2022 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16336493)

That dude wouldn't piss on a single one of us if we were on fire. We're simply a bunch of white-trash midwest rednecks to him.

to be fair, that is a large amount of the crowd at Bush nightly. ROFL

DJ's left nut 06-16-2022 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16336498)
to be fair, that is a large amount of the crowd at Bush nightly. ROFL

The BFIB annoy the ever living piss out of me.

But their adulation for those players and that team is borderline unhealthy. And to return that with the sort of open disdain that Flaherty does is just absolute bullshit.

I really do loathe the guy.

kcpasco 06-17-2022 04:17 PM

Facing Wacha tonight against the Sox. No hard feelings against him because I believe Matheny ****ed him up.

BigRedChief 06-17-2022 06:46 PM

So Molina finally admits his knees are shit after a long career catching 158 games every year. To the Il.

So what’s the scoup on Ivan Herrera, is he the real deal? Need more AB’s at AAA?

George Liquor 06-18-2022 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcpasco (Post 16338267)
Facing Wacha tonight against the Sox. No hard feelings against him because I believe Matheny ****ed him up.

I wore my Michael Wacha Cardinals T yesterday.

Still hate the Ped Sox though

George Liquor 06-18-2022 06:43 PM

Does anyone know where Steven Matz is right now?

Jewish Rabbi 06-18-2022 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 16339563)

Hopefully buried next to Ubeja

raybec 4 06-19-2022 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 16339563)

He is apparently getting injections on his throwing shoulder. I seriously doubt they get another 50 innings out of him this season. Between him, Flaherty and Hicks I hope Schildt is going to get an "I told you so" moment with Mo.

BigRedChief 06-19-2022 08:32 AM

This is the best offensive lineup we have had since we were legit contenders for a WS title. And its a good defensive team too.

Edman
Donovan
Goldy
Arenado
Gorman
O'Neill
Carlson
Bader
Catcher

If 2 of Goldy/Arenado/Gorman/O'Neil get hot at the same time in the playoffs, we can possibly hang with anyone in the NL. Yankees look unstoppable but that's way down the road.

George Liquor 06-19-2022 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 16339856)
He is apparently getting injections on his throwing shoulder. I seriously doubt they get another 50 innings out of him this season. Between him, Flaherty and Hicks I hope Schildt is going to get an "I told you so" moment with Mo.

Firing Schildt was unforgivable. I don't get how bozo Mo still has a job.

BigRedChief 06-19-2022 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 16339976)
Firing Schildt was unforgivable. I don't get how bozo Mo still has a job.

Duh... Dewitt loves the https://www.morningstar.co.uk/static...%20article.jpg

George Liquor 06-19-2022 08:51 AM

Busch would still operate like an amusement park with Schildt

raybec 4 06-20-2022 08:11 PM

O'Neil is cursed man. He was really heating up too.

BigRedChief 06-20-2022 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 16341862)
O'Neil is cursed man. He was really heating up too.

it’s really rare for baseball players to have muscles like the guy. I wonder if him pulling and or straining something every year isn’t related to his finely toned muscled body.

raybec 4 06-21-2022 07:41 PM

Flaherty flat out stinks

BigRedChief 06-21-2022 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 16343223)
Flaherty flat out stinks

It’s rehab/spring training for him. He can’t be bothered to pitch in the minors until he’s ready.

BigRedChief 06-22-2022 12:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16335872)
He’s gotten more emphatic as he’s gotten older.

Age has nothing to do with it. He’s just a nutter.

He broke up with this and now she bangs Nick Bosa.

seclark 06-22-2022 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16343519)
He broke up with this and now she bangs Nick Bosa.

Who gives a ****?
He can’t toss.
His attitude is shit, and has been.
Flip him.
sec

Marco Polo 06-22-2022 07:48 PM

Yepez has the bat but his fielding is subpar. May have just cost the Cardinals the game playing LF. Where can they field him at?

BigRedChief 06-22-2022 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco Polo (Post 16344643)
Yepez has the bat but his fielding is subpar. May have just cost the Cardinals the game playing LF. Where can they field him at?

He’d be playing first base but it’s a lefty so Pujols is playing. Pujols says the guy is the next Pujols. I hope he’s right but even if he is, he won’t be playing outfield much with plays like that.

raybec 4 06-22-2022 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco Polo (Post 16344643)

They trotted that mope Chris Duncan out there for a couple of seasons (RIP). Yepez can't do much worse than he did.

O.city 06-23-2022 08:46 AM

Creeping up on the trade deadline. What are the Cards gonna sniff around and not trade for?

Marcellus 06-23-2022 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 16345112)
Creeping up on the trade deadline. What are the Cards gonna sniff around and not trade for?

Has to be pitching a t this point I would think. They need a starter and some relievers.

DJ's left nut 06-23-2022 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 16345112)

They've gotta move Yepez or maybe even Gorman for an SP.

The Reds have 2 veteran SPs in Mahle and Castillo that they'll likely field offers on. They have an aging 1b who's a pending FA and no clear answer behind him.

So get 'em on the horn and offer them Yepez, McGreevey and Malcom Nunez for Mahle or Castillo.

It gets them a high floor near term 1b option and a higher ceiling plan B behind him. It also gets them a long-term SP prospect w/ first round pedigree who's moving quickly through the minor leagues.

Thompson is showing some real big league stuff this year, Graceffo has exploded past McGreevey, IMO. Both Castillo and Mahle are under team control next season as well. If you're getting a legit #2 starter type for the cost of a prospect with no long-term role here, your 4th best SP prospect (Graceffo, Thompson, Libby, in that order - IMO) and a guy who probably amounts to organizational depth long term, you have to do that.

I would also be all over the Marlins on Taylor Rogers. He's been awful this year, to be sure, but he has plenty of ability and a lot of team control. And the Marlins are LOADED in pitching depth.

Alcantara, Lopez, Cabrera, Meyer and Eury Perez (who should be considered the top SP prospect in baseball, IMO) is just pure filth. And that's before you get into their previous hotness, Sixto Sanchez and the fast-rising lefty they have in Eder.

They can move Rogers without missing a beat. But as is ever the case, they could use some hitting. So see if Yepez and some additional B level guys (Luken Baker types) can get them to sell low on Rogers.

DJ's left nut 06-23-2022 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 16345117)
Has to be pitching a t this point I would think. They need a starter and some relievers.

I'm reluctant to trade for relievers because dammit - we HAVE 3 back-end hammer options. We definitely should not be trading organizational capital for middle-relievers. Especially not when we have a half-dozen guys who can throw 96+ but we can't convince them to trust their stuff.

The Cardinals have the hard part figured out. 7-8-9 is in fine shape come the post-season. What we need are bullet catchers who can keep games close or give the big 3 a blow on occasion (and Faux Ace Flaherty giving us more than 3 innings would sure help there...)

It's becoming a big league development problem at this point, IMO. There is no reason why Oviedo shouldn't be able to fastball/slider his way through 60+ quality relief appearances. Thompson at 97 is freaking vile in relief. Why does Kodi Whitley suck? I've seen this kid pitch, his stuff is exceptional. Woodford should be able to give you some quality middle relief. Rondon is a quality strike thrower who's stuff will play up in the 'pen. Pacheco has nasty stuff so teach him to throw it at the middle of the zone - he's not a kid anymore, 24 and on the 40 man. Jake Walsh is on the 40 and is another kid with really good stuff who just doesn't seem to trust it much.

Why are we struggling to find 4 arms out of that pile of bodies that can be adequate? And frankly, if the recent Oviedo outings and Thompson stuff is legit, you can scratch 2 of those off. So you need to more quality MRs and a swing-man to get to EIGHT usable arms.

Please tell me why this organization can't get that from a combination of Hicks, Whitley, Woodford, Rondon, Pacheco and/or Walsh? Why do we keep sending Naughton, McFarland and Nick Wittgren out there to put games out of reach when they do NOTHING at a big league level. Last I checked Wittgren was leading the team in appearances and he has literally not one single major league skill.

I don't understand this and I think we're far past time to question the competency of Mike Maddux at this point. We have too many quality arms in this system (not elite, but solid) to struggle this bad to find viable depth arms in the bullpen.

O.city 06-23-2022 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16345225)
They've gotta move Yepez or maybe even Gorman for an SP.

The Reds have 2 veteran SPs in Mahle and Castillo that they'll likely field offers on. They have an aging 1b who's a pending FA and no clear answer behind him.

So get 'em on the horn and offer them Yepez, McGreevey and Malcom Nunez for Mahle or Castillo.

It gets them a high floor near term 1b option and a higher ceiling plan B behind him. It also gets them a long-term SP prospect w/ first round pedigree who's moving quickly through the minor leagues.

Thompson is showing some real big league stuff this year, Graceffo has exploded past McGreevey, IMO. Both Castillo and Mahle are under team control next season as well. If you're getting a legit #2 starter type for the cost of a prospect with no long-term role here, your 4th best SP prospect (Graceffo, Thompson, Libby, in that order - IMO) and a guy who probably amounts to organizational depth long term, you have to do that.

I would also be all over the Marlins on Taylor Rogers. He's been awful this year, to be sure, but he has plenty of ability and a lot of team control. And the Marlins are LOADED in pitching depth.

Alcantara, Lopez, Cabrera, Meyer and Eury Perez (who should be considered the top SP prospect in baseball, IMO) is just pure filth. And that's before you get into their previous hotness, Sixto Sanchez and the fast-rising lefty they have in Eder.

They can move Rogers without missing a beat. But as is ever the case, they could use some hitting. So see if Yepez and some additional B level guys (Luken Baker types) can get them to sell low on Rogers.

Gorman would be untouchable for me. I dont' like moving Yepez, but with Goldy doing what he's doing, 1st base probably isn't gonna open up any time soon, but you need a DH as well.

Buddy had told me to look at the Marlins pitching staff and take my pick.

DJ's left nut 06-23-2022 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 16345308)
Gorman would be untouchable for me. I dont' like moving Yepez, but with Goldy doing what he's doing, 1st base probably isn't gonna open up any time soon, but you need a DH as well.

Walker is at 1b in 2 seasons. Burleson/Baker can backfill just fine at DH for Yepez.

Gorman is a guy who's gonna make a living on blasting mistakes and then get eviscerated every October. And that's fine - he absolutely has value. He can be a 3-win player for 6 years at relatively low prices. But he'll never be a plus defender at 2b, he's always gonna have K issues and he's unlikely to become a super-patient player.

He's valuable but he IS limited. Meanwhile I think Winn can become a stud at SS and push Edman back over to 2b. Hell, I think Donovan is a DAMN good ballplayer and is just fine as a long-term 2b option while you keep your powder dry on Winn.

Nah - Gorman's nothing resembling untouchable for me. I'm not dealing him for a #2 with 1.5 yrs of control, don't get me wrong. But he's nowhere close to off limits. We have 3-4 guys coming over the next 2-3 years who can help cover for losing him.

As for the Marlins staff - if they are really saying "give us Gorman and take your pick" - shit, I'd dump Gorman for Alcantara and/or Perez in a heartbeat. Wouldn't even ponder it. Probably not for Meyer, but maybe. It's close. Not Lopez because he's a 2-pitch guy with less control left than you realize. And for as sexy as Cabrera's stuff is, he doesn't miss bats. Might still make that move though.

BigRedChief 06-23-2022 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 16345308)

Gorman is untouchable.

Pujols says Yepez is the next Pujols. True or not. If he can be a consistent MLB player that can bash, he should be off the table too. We don't have enough of those players. Trading away what we are always short of seems like a really bad idea.

Plus it’s still Mo making those trades. He always gets ****ed. So eventually us fans see a lessen product on the field from his decisions.

DJ's left nut 06-23-2022 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16345329)
Gorman is untouchable.

Pujols says Yepez is the next Pujols. True or not. If he can be a consistent MLB player that can bash, he should be off the table too. We don't have enough of those players. Trading away what we are always short of seems like a really bad idea.

Plus it’s still Mo making those trades. He always gets ****ed. So eventually us fans see a lessen product on the field from his decisions.

But again - why?

And no he isn't. Nobody that says that actually believes it. If the Nationals came offering Soto for him, you'd pull that trigger in a heartbeat.

Pit Gorman vs. Donovan at 2b over 150 games and I'm betting Gorman gives you a better WAR. Defense is better, far better contact skills and a better baserunner.

Gorman gives you a metric ton of raw power and that's nice to have - but it's also not hard to find. Especially if he stays around a 150-175 K/season kind of player.

Nobody who's a risk of putting up a 30% K-Rate is 'untouchable'.

And Tony Gonzalez said once said Tyler Thigpen was a Pro Bowl caliber QB. Players don't know shit about other players. Game does NOT recognize game.

If you won't move a guy like Juan Yepez, then you won't move anyone. And you won't get anyone.

Yepez is exactly the sort of player you trade for an established SP if you're serious about winning. There are more guys just like him all over the place.

raybec 4 06-23-2022 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16345329)
Gorman is untouchable.

I didn't see this quote but it's pretty far fetched. Prime Pujols is an all time great. Yepez might be very good but he's not Albert.

George Liquor 06-23-2022 04:18 PM

Remember when Brett Wallace was the next Pujols?

BigRedChief 06-24-2022 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 16345779)
I didn't see this quote but it's pretty far fetched. Prime Pujols is an all time great. Yepez might be very good but he's not Albert.

they said it on the TV broadcast twice that I heard.

BigRedChief 06-24-2022 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16345699)
But again - why?

And no he isn't. Nobody that says that actually believes it. If the Nationals came offering Soto for him, you'd pull that trigger in a heartbeat.

of course you’d make that deal but in your scenerio we are trusting Mo to make a deal? Not a chance.

Dewitt would benefit, just for his own selfish reasons, if he made Flores in charge of all player decisions. FA signings, trades etc. in addition to the draft.

VAChief 06-25-2022 02:45 PM

Frankie Montas fits the profile of someone they could go after. We are built for strike throwing starters and he has a 1.08 WHIP this year. I’m not sure what it would take, but just don’t see them giving up Yepez or Gorman this year.

George Liquor 06-26-2022 03:14 PM

Flaherty hurt again

Marcellus 06-26-2022 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 16348802)
Flaherty hurt again

Cards are better off without depending on him.

ChiefsCountry 06-26-2022 03:24 PM

Quote:

Flaherty hurt again

His feelings or vagina?

Marcellus 06-26-2022 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 16348814)
His feelings or vagina?

Yea. They seem to be connected.

Pepe Silvia 06-26-2022 03:42 PM

Quote:

His feelings or vagina?

Vagina.

George Liquor 06-26-2022 03:58 PM

Quote:

His feelings or vagina?

He's sad pride month is ending soon

BigRedChief 06-27-2022 09:10 AM

Quote:

Flaherty hurt again

Quote:

His feelings or vagina?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 16348833)
Yea. They seem to be connected.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 16348835)
Vagina.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 16348846)
He's sad pride month is ending soon

You guys need to stop following him or anyone else that puts out political or controversial tweets. I learned that lesson a long time ago.

Their tweets don't mean shit. All they do is reaffirm shit to the people that approve and upset people who don't agree. Who cares what Bader's opinion is on Roe V Wade?

I'd bet that all of you are pretty strong willed persons. There is no way you'd be swayed on a subject you're passionate about by some stupid athlete. So why get upset? It's 2022. It's going to stay this way. Just unfollow their dumbass's. Don't buy their jersey etc.

George Liquor 06-27-2022 09:19 AM

I don't follow him in social media. This and snapchat are the only social media platforms I use. But when I type "Cardinals Score" into Google and get "JACK FLAHERTY ROASTS TAMPA BAY PTICHERS ON TWITTER OVER LGBT UNIFORMS" back as my search results, it's kinda unavoidable

Also, I apologize for making this thread political, so I'll zip it now.

DJ's left nut 06-27-2022 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16349453)
You guys need to stop following him or anyone else that puts out political or controversial tweets. I learned that lesson a long time ago.

Their tweets don't mean shit. All they do is reaffirm shit to the people that approve and upset people who don't agree. Who cares what Bader's opinion is on Roe V Wade?

I'd bet that all of you are pretty strong willed persons. There is no way you'd be swayed on a subject you're passionate about by some stupid athlete. So why get upset? It's 2022. It's going to stay this way. Just unfollow their dumbass's. Don't buy their jersey etc.

it's just a lot harder to root for someone who doesn't even rise to the level of apathetic towards you. I recognize that most athletes simply don't care much about their fans one way or another.

But Flaherty takes it to another level. Jack Flaherty has demonstrated open antipathy and outright disdain for those that won't join him in his Quixotic bullshit.

It's why I cited Tony Gonzalez earlier - Gonzalez was apolitical as far as I ever knew. He was also someone who made it quite clear that he had little time for us peasant midwestern rubes.

Flaherty's politics are what color his revulsion but they aren't why I enjoy watching him get hit. I recognize that there are a SLEW of guys in all walks of entertainment that agree with him. I enjoy watching him get hit because I'm absolutely certain he would call me a backwards hillbilly mother****er if he bothered to stoop to notice me at all.

BigRedChief 06-28-2022 06:35 PM

So is this something new? Since when does the player decide how long and where they can rehab?

John Mozeliak on the decision to bring Jack Flaherty back early from his rehab assignment: "A lot of it's based on the feedback you're getting from the athlete. ... Ultimately it's not our decision. We laid out a plan, the plan was deviated, and here we are."

DJ's left nut 06-29-2022 07:52 AM

Mozeliak is a gutless bag man. And his ability to shirk responsibility while maintaining an insufferable arrogance is truly remarkable.

Man I loathe that guy.

BigRedChief 06-30-2022 08:00 AM

Woo: Alec Burleson is our trade piece

The Cardinals organization has done a considerable job in bolstering their overall depth. St. Louis has relied heavily on their rookie class this year and has shown little hesitance to promote those in Triple A like Nolan Gorman, Brendan Donovan and Juan Yepez, who have shown they are ready.

Alec Burleson, an offensive-first outfielder who is hitting .343 with 15 homers and a .967 OPS for Triple-A Memphis, is showcasing that same readiness level. Yet with an outfield populated by Tyler O’Neill, Harrison Bader and Dylan Carlson, and Donovan and Yepez serving as reserves, there doesn’t seem to be a roster spot available for him.

Burleson is a top-10 prospect. He has enough offensive upside for other organizations to be intrigued, and he could be a key name should the Cardinals decide to buy at the deadline. — Katie Woo

DJ's left nut 06-30-2022 02:20 PM

Alec Burleson should be our long-term DH. He’ll outhit Yepez or a meaningful timeline and may even be a better overall offensive player than Gorman or Carlson.

Burleson can RAKE. I said he should have started the year on the roster and he’s done nothing to dissuade me of that.

George Liquor 06-30-2022 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16353997)
Alec Burleson should be our long-term DH. He’ll outhit Yepez or a meaningful timeline and may even be a better overall offensive player than Gorman or Carlson.

Burleson can RAKE. I said he should have started the year on the roster and he’s done nothing to dissuade me of that.

So that means Mo will be trading him for Dylan Bundy

ChiefsCountry 07-02-2022 03:10 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">CARDINALS HIT 4 HOME RUNS IN A ROW �� �� �� �� <br><br>It&#39;s just the 11th time in MLB history there&#39;s ever been 4 HRs in a row �� <br><br>(via <a href="https://twitter.com/Cardinals?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Cardinals</a>)<a href="https://t.co/z26pk6sS6Y">pic.twitter.com/z26pk6sS6Y</a></p>&mdash; SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) <a href="https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1543330702380474372?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 2, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ChiefsCountry 07-02-2022 03:13 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Cardinals are viewed by some rival execs as a favorite to get Oakland&#39;s Frankie Montas, because they have the most acute need -- and because it&#39;d be tough for them to land Castillo or Mahle from the division-rival Reds.</p>&mdash; Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/1543331036142116864?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 2, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Chief Roundup 07-02-2022 05:32 PM

https://www.mlb.com/news/cardinals-h...ight-home-runs

video of all 4 inside

ChiefsCountry 07-02-2022 06:06 PM

Live look at Nolan Arenado
https://c.tenor.com/D1OWoFNgBUgAAAAd...duck-money.gif

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-02-2022 10:52 PM

Sandy Alcantara and Zac Gallen have been worth 22bWAR (cost-controlled, mind you) since the Cardinals traded them for Ozuna. Ozuna gave them 4.5bWAR and has been worth 6.2 total in the five years since.

That is so goddamned bad it's impressive.

BigRedChief 07-04-2022 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 16356080)
Sandy Alcantara and Zac Gallen have been worth 22bWAR (cost-controlled, mind you) since the Cardinals traded them for Ozuna. Ozuna gave them 4.5bWAR and has been worth 6.2 total in the five years since.

That is so goddamned bad it's impressive.

Agreed.

But, as far as I know the deals for Goldy and Arenado hasn't bite us in the ass yet. No way Dewitt is getting rid of Mo when he is hitting 2/3 on big major trades for established players. No matter how many suck ass trades and FA signings he has in his past.

BigRedChief 07-04-2022 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 16355815)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Cardinals are viewed by some rival execs as a favorite to get Oakland&#39;s Frankie Montas, because they have the most acute need -- and because it&#39;d be tough for them to land Castillo or Mahle from the division-rival Reds.</p>&mdash; Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/1543331036142116864?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 2, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

SEATTLE -- The buzz surrounding Frankie Montas as one of baseball’s most sought-after pitchers ahead of the Aug. 2 Trade Deadline has only heightened with each start. However, an early exit on Sunday now leaves his immediate future in question.

On a cold Seattle afternoon with heavy rainfall in the surrounding area at the first pitch, gloom came over T-Mobile Park’s visiting dugout as the A’s saw their ace depart Sunday’s 2-1 loss against the Mariners after just one inning with tightness in the back of his right shoulder.

There was an immediate cause for concern with how Montas’ stuff looked in the first. Surrendering a leadoff homer to Julio Rodríguez as part of a 13-pitch frame, Montas maxed out at just 94.5 mph with his fastball, a pitch that had reached as high as 99.1 mph over his previous two outings. Overall, Montas’ velocity on his four-seamer was 2.4 mph slower than his season average, while the velocity on his sinker was 2.7 mph lower.

After an evaluation of Montas’ shoulder by team doctors revealed some inflammation, he is expected to undergo an MRI when the A’s return to Oakland on Monday to determine the severity of the issue.

BigRedChief 07-04-2022 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 16355946)

He’s going to get so much money thrown at him. No way Mo will rework his contract to give him that level of money.

John Denton MLB article:
https://view.mail.mlblists.com/messa...1b7bb2cd35/raw

PHILADELPHIA -- Undoubtedly, there is tremendous beauty and flair in Nolan Arenado’s game, what with the way he plays third base like some combination of a graceful ballerina, a sure-handed wide receiver and a brazen cat burglar.

Meanwhile, at the plate, Arenado is a fidgety bundle of nerves and someone eager to pounce on a pitcher’s next mistake. Admittedly, there is rarely a time when he’s not thinking about hitting, so when he’s in the batter’s box, he’s anxious to use the intel he picked up from tirelessly watching film or pounding baseballs in the batting cage to do damage.

But the true beauty of Arenado’s game lies within the fire that burns deep inside of him and occasionally splashes and spills during games. Challenge Arenado and you might get burned -- such as when he angrily barked at Philadelphia’s Kyle Schwarber and basically challenged the whole Phillies dugout on Saturday. Arenado’s white-hot fire operates as the fuel that drives him to be great at everything he does, and it pushes him to not take anything for granted. Also, it is the furnace that propels him toward burning as hot in the first inning as the ninth and as intensely scorching in a June regular-season game as an October playoff game.

Arenado is a modern-day superstar in every sense of the word, a nine-time Gold Glover and a future Hall of Famer. But he’s also a relentless grinder who scratches and claws like a no-name Minor Leaguer. What those around him love most is how he motivates with his infectious energy and his refusal to yield in any way.

The rest at the link

Marcellus 07-04-2022 12:57 PM

Arenado is the exact type of player you unload the Brinx truck for.

KChiefs1 07-04-2022 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 16356867)

If you aren’t going to sign him to a long term contract, then absolutely. You could probably get a top 10 prospect for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigRedChief 07-05-2022 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 16356894)
If you aren’t going to sign him to a long term contract, then absolutely. You could probably get a top 10 prospect for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i agree but there is no way that happens. Mo trading Arenado at the deadline? That goes against everything Moe says he’s all about. Compete for a championship every year.

We have talented 3B’s in the pipeline but you don’t let talent like Arenado go easily into the LA night.

Arenado tells them he’s keeping his options open or decide after the season, you have to consider the trade for a top 10 prospect.

BigRedChief 07-05-2022 02:54 PM

Quote:

They got $50 million of Colorados money before anything comes out of Dewitt’s tightwad wallet. If that doesn’t motivate them to open the checkbook, they never will.

raybec 4 07-05-2022 08:47 PM

It kind of feels like the wheels are coming off the wagon here.

Jewish Rabbi 07-05-2022 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 16358249)

Not at all. They’re playing good teams and losing. This is just a very average Cardinals team, as it has been for the last 8 seasons.

Pepe Silvia 07-06-2022 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 16358249)

We will still make the playoffs but it doesn’t matter, nobody is beating Houston this year.

BigRedChief 07-06-2022 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 16359142)
We will still make the playoffs but it doesn’t matter, nobody is beating Houston this year.

Sure it’s a high bar. We suck more than play great.

But, just like we did in 2006/11, Sox in 2004 etc. getting hot at the right time sometimes overrules a more talented team. Especially in a short series. Goldy and Ozuna come to mind of recent series. They cooled off and we lost. But we overachieved.

We have 4-6 players that if two get hot, like Freese hot, we can win a series against the big dogs.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-06-2022 06:32 PM

They don't have the pitching to compete. It's as simple as that. They traded it away for two average years of Marcell Ozuna, and what they acquired for Arozarena will never be more than a #4 starter.

raybec 4 07-06-2022 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16359299)
Sure it’s a high bar. We suck more than play great.

But, just like we did in 2006/11, Sox in 2004 etc. getting hot at the right time sometimes overrules a more talented team. Especially in a short series. Goldy and Ozuna come to mind of recent series. They cooled off and we lost. But we overachieved.

We have 4-6 players that if two get hot, like Freese hot, we can win a series against the big dogs.

I have to hand it to you man. You are without a doubt the most optimistic guy who posts in this thread. Even if the Cardinals get hot at the right time they're the baseball version of the 2018 Chiefs. The pitchers are going to give up a boatload of runs so they will have to stay super hot to win anything meaningful.

BigRedChief 07-08-2022 05:50 PM

After seeing Carlson play CF fantastically the last two nights…….

What kind of ready for MLB pitching will Bader/O’Neill bring in a trade?
#4 starter, #5? , middle relief, didly squat for this year but maybe a high ceiling prospect 2-3 years away?

DJ's left nut 07-08-2022 10:08 PM

Y’all realize that Carlson has hit RHP like shit his whole career, right?

Why are we going to pretend like Carlson and his career .700 OPS against righties is some set in stone everyday starter?

He’s looking like a platoon player. And he’s not the defender or baserunner that Bader is.

Bottom line is this team ALWAYS picks its sacred cows and it’s always the wrong damn guy. I’m not sure I truly give a shit either way - the organization fired an elite manager because he wanted to win a championship over merely ‘playing meaningful baseball in September…’

John Mozeliak has ****ed up about 80% of the significant roster decisions he’s made over the last 6-8 years and he’s never been held accountable for anything. And every year he becomes more smug and an even greater prick.

I just really dislike this organization.

VAChief 07-09-2022 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16361790)
After seeing Carlson play CF fantastically the last two nights…….

What kind of ready for MLB pitching will Bader/O’Neill bring in a trade?
#4 starter, #5? , middle relief, didly squat for this year but maybe a high ceiling prospect 2-3 years away?

All do respect, you hang on to Bader. His defense doesn't slump and is ideal for that number 9 spot in the order if we ever find a catcher that can hit his way out of paper bag.

I would see what Carlson could bring back in a trade before Bader/ONeill. ONeill has more value to us than we would get back in a trade.

I would look at what we could get for Liberatore before he craters (I like Thompson more long term).

What could we get for Liberatore/Carlson...Montas? Haven't heard how his MRI went, but if healthy he will command a high price.

VAChief 07-09-2022 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16361974)
Y’all realize that Carlson has hit RHP like shit his whole career, right?

Why are we going to pretend like Carlson and his career .700 OPS against righties is some set in stone everyday starter?

He’s looking like a platoon player. And he’s not the defender or baserunner that Bader is.

Bottom line is this team ALWAYS picks its sacred cows and it’s always the wrong damn guy. I’m not sure I truly give a shit either way - the organization fired an elite manager because he wanted to win a championship over merely ‘playing meaningful baseball in September…’

John Mozeliak has ****ed up about 80% of the significant roster decisions he’s made over the last 6-8 years and he’s never been held accountable for anything. And every year he becomes more smug and an even greater prick.

I just really dislike this organization.

Probably could have gotten Ozuna for Flaherty and kept Alcantara and Gallen. Flaherty was more polished at the time, but the upside was much higher even back then for Alcantara. They are even worse evaluating our own position players.

DJ's left nut 07-09-2022 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAChief (Post 16362180)
All do respect, you hang on to Bader. His defense doesn't slump and is ideal for that number 9 spot in the order if we ever find a catcher that can hit his way out of paper bag.

I would see what Carlson could bring back in a trade before Bader/ONeill. ONeill has more value to us than we would get back in a trade.

I would look at what we could get for Liberatore before he craters (I like Thompson more long term).

What could we get for Liberatore/Carlson...Montas? Haven't heard how his MRI went, but if healthy he will command a high price.

They need to take a real swing and fix the front/middle of this rotation. The only place that's going to happen is with Miami. And the pieces match up EXTREMELY well.

That team has 7-8 young arms that could easily be the most high ceiling arm in our system. Many of whom have multiple years of team control.

The obvious target is Pablo Lopez but Lopez does have some significant health issues that make him extremely high risk as your only addition. However, Trevor Rodgers has fallen slowly out of favor as well and has a higher floor and a better health record, even if he doesn't likely have the ceiling Lopez does.

So get 'em BOTH. And yeah, pay for it.

Carlson and Gorman for Lopez and Rodgers? Yeah, I think you make that deal at this point.

Your long-term IF is still Arenado - Winn - Edman - Goldy/Walker

Your OF is still TON - Bader - Donovan

DH becomes Burleson/Yepez as a real nice L/R platoon (just as it should've been to start the season).

Short term you have Donovan at 2b and Yepez/Nootbar in RF while calling up Burleson to suck up some DH at-bats as the long side of a platoon with Pujols.

Your SP is now Lopez - Wainright - Mikolas - Rodgers - Hudson/Matz. If Matz comes back healthy you move Hudson to the bullpen where his shitty fastball command won't hurt you as badly. Liberatore and Thompson have stuff that will play up well in relief and give you two viable lefties. Hicks/Gallegos/Helsley gives you three strong righties as well. Oviedo and Hudson can be the swing guys you've been looking for. Pallante rides the memphis shuttle.

Long-term you still have Graceffo (who's the highest ceiling arm in the system, IMO), Hence and McGreevy as possible 2-3-4 starters.

They HAVE to stop pretending like this is the Cardinals system of 4-5 years ago when they could just keep throwing arms at the problem. The guys they thought would be those guys just aren't getting the job done. Oviedo never developed into a viable starter. Liberatore's stuff is fringe-average as a rotation option.

If they're serious about trying to build a winner, they're going to have to take chances. ****ing off in the margins won't get them anywhere with this sorry ass pitching staff. Trading Burleson for Kluber is just every bit of reeruned and yet that's the kind of nonsense I can see them pursuing because it's less scary.

It's also Moe's MO. So I'm sure it's what will happen.

DJ's left nut 07-09-2022 11:15 AM

Quote:

Why?

He's carrying the same contract he carried two years ago. 2 years ago the Rockies couldn't get anything more than Gomber and Montero. And to even get that much they had to chip $50 million into the pile.

Nothing Arenado has done in the 2 years since has demonstrated he's demonstrably better than the player that was traded. Moreover, he's now used 2 more years of his prime. Might he want a little more added to the last 2 years of his deal? Yeah - probably. But the market for him is fairly well established by the Rockies trade and I've seen little to indicate it will have shifted much.

If they add $3 million to the deal in 2026 and $8 million to it in 2027 that gets him up to 5/155 left on the deal and $31 million/season. I don't see the market substantially beating that. Some may site the Rendon deal but again - that deal came BEFORE the Arenado trade that established his market. And also, the Rendon deal was universally panned and has proven to be absolutely reeruned. It's like the A-Rod deal way back when, when teams just spit on agents that tried to use it to 're-set' the market for essentially a decade. Some deals are so damn bad that they serve no purpose in negotiations and that's one of them.