ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay on the Outs? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=338098)

alpha_omega 05-31-2023 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 16965139)
Lets spin this though...

If Mahomes had just won MVP and the Chiefs lost in the AFC championship game and he is roughly 37 years old. Would you expect him to be just a little frustrated they drafted his replacement instead of trying to win another one?

The thing is, is I wouldn't expect the Chiefs to do that to Mahomes and I fully think if that was on the table they would tell him way beforehand.

The entire thing was handled poorly, not communicating with your franchise player, not giving him weapons to the point that it became a running ****ing joke in the league. When he attempted to communicate being told they didn't want his input so he went public which then of course lead to his reputation taking a hit and we are where we are today.

I also think Rodgers just got petty about it because he realized nothing would ever change. I also think he felt he was afforded the same respect in his organization that other top QB's were in theirs.

I would personally like to hear an example of another franchise QB that was treated the way Rodgers was by the Packers.

I hear what you are saying, but at 1-4 in Championship games, Rodgers can STFU.

Not sure I recall all the details, but wasn't the Favre/Rodgers thing similar?

Mecca 05-31-2023 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha_omega (Post 16965165)
I hear what you are saying, but at 1-4 in Championship games, Rodgers can STFU.

Not sure I recall all the details, but wasn't the Favre/Rodgers thing similar?

Yes and no, Favre got pushed out because he kept telling them he didn't know if he was going to retire or comeback and it just turned into a ****ing show. Then Rodgers told Ted Thompson if Favre came back he was leaving to go play elsewhere. Thompson didn't want to just lose Rodgers so he chose to deal Favre instead.

This one is more that Rodgers and Guntekunst have had an ongoing feud almost since the day he was hired. A lot of it comes down to that Gute doesn't care that Rodgers is a franchise player, doesn't care what he wants etc etc. So he's busy blowing picks on shitty defensive players and not signing anyone while he expects Rodgers to just carry the offense.

The biggest reason this shit happened 2 times in a row is because GB doesn't have an owner. A GM there doesn't really have anyone to answer to, like here for example Clark would never in a million years let a GM just take a dump on the franchise QB.

dirk digler 05-31-2023 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 16964847)
Uh no one is surprised by this. That GM basically told Rodgers to go **** himself, I'd love to see if you'd say "**** this guy" if in 10 years the Chiefs have a new GM and he tells Mahomes his input isn't needed and "you're just the QB" leading to Mahomes having a public feud with the organization.

That would never happen because we actually have an owner unlike the Packers

Mecca 05-31-2023 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 16965182)
That would never happen because we actually have an owner unlike the Packers

It'll be really funny though when Jordan Love bombs and they win 3 games.

MarkDavis'Haircut 05-31-2023 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 16965139)
Lets spin this though...

If Mahomes had just won MVP and the Chiefs lost in the AFC championship game and he is roughly 37 years old. Would you expect him to be just a little frustrated they drafted his replacement instead of trying to win another one?

The thing is, is I wouldn't expect the Chiefs to do that to Mahomes and I fully think if that was on the table they would tell him way beforehand.

The entire thing was handled poorly, not communicating with your franchise player, not giving him weapons to the point that it became a running ****ing joke in the league. When he attempted to communicate being told they didn't want his input so he went public which then of course lead to his reputation taking a hit and we are where we are today.

I also think Rodgers just got petty about it because he realized nothing would ever change. I also think he felt he was afforded the same respect in his organization that other top QB's were in theirs.

I would personally like to hear an example of another franchise QB that was treated the way Rodgers was by the Packers.

They treated Rodgers like they treated Favre.

Rainbarrel 05-31-2023 02:05 PM

Rodger's post season record blows because his arm is wasted from throwing people under the bus all season

Sassy Squatch 05-31-2023 02:08 PM

Wait, why are we pretending Rodgers just wanted the same relationship the Chiefs and Mahomes have? Because it's a complete bullshit narrative driven by Rodgers. Rodgers wanted Gute to do want Rodgers wanted and Gute is under no obligation to oblige him.

Mecca 05-31-2023 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 16965198)
Wait, why are we pretending Rodgers just wanted the same relationship the Chiefs and Mahomes have? Because it's a complete bullshit narrative driven by Rodgers. Rodgers wanted Gute to do want Rodgers wanted and Gute is under no obligation to oblige him.

I think most people would acknowledge that doing nothing but drafting shitty defensive players in the 1st round when you have a need for weapons is odd. Also I think dude just wanted to have some input on what he'd like to play with. Basically all franchise QB's get that, he was basically told he's just another player nothing more.

I mean cmon now, they managed to hit on Davante Adams in the second but other than that they expected Rodgers to make it work with 3rd day draft picks.

We're gonna take defensive players with our 1st pick 6 years in a row! The one that isn't will be a QB...then we'll turn around and you know what take even more defensive players! All the while having a defense that never gets any better..

I'll go back to 18 since that is when dude was promoted to GM.

First 2 round picks each year

Jaire Alexander
Josh Jackson

Rashan Gary
Dantrell Savage
Elgton Jekins

Jordan Love
AJ Dillon

Eric Stokes
Josh Myers

Quay Walker
Devonte Wyatt
Christian Watson

Lukas Van Ness
Luke Musgrave
Jayden Reed

That is a shit ton of defensive players for a defense that still isn't good.

MarkDavis'Haircut 05-31-2023 02:18 PM

Rodgers' only Super Bowl win come with a top five defense.

Gravedigger 05-31-2023 02:21 PM

If you look at their stats, I'd take Favre over Rodgers on the football field. You get the interceptions, but Favre is leading in some key categories.

Sassy Squatch 05-31-2023 02:28 PM

I really don't get what you're trying to prove there, especially given the Packers had Rodgers, Adams, Bahktari, and Jones locked up long term.

1. There's actually some legitimate defensive talent there

2. There's also decent investment into the offensive side of the ball

Sure, there's a couple glaring misses but that's every GMs draft profile ever. Nowhere near enough to justify the constant shit Rodgers throws his way all because Gute didn't bother letting him know they were going elsewhere at QB

Sassy Squatch 05-31-2023 02:36 PM

Seriously, what would telling him have even achieved. He would've still been just as petulant and petty about it. If he wanted a better relationship with Gute, maybe don't come at him with salt and vinegar energy.

Mecca 05-31-2023 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 16965256)
Seriously, what would telling him have even achieved. He would've still been just as petulant and petty about it. If he wanted a better relationship with Gute, maybe don't come at him with salt and vinegar energy.

I still don't get how he's the asshole for expecting what other QBs in his spot get?

Sassy Squatch 05-31-2023 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 16965260)
I still don't get how he's the asshole for expecting what other QBs in his spot get?

Yeah, you're still running with that narrative, and it's still bullshit. Rodgers coming into the office and being petulant that the Packers aren't signing or retaining his washed up buddies (which he explicitly admitted to during one of his McAfee appearances) is incomparable to the productive and positive relationship the Chiefs and Mahomes have.

If Rodgers wanted a relationship like that, it's kind.of a two way thing. And no, the Jets catering to his every whim to appease him is not what other QBs in his spot get. It's an organization in desperation mode trying to keep a known brat happy.

Megatron96 05-31-2023 02:57 PM

As many 1st/2nd round picks as they used on defense, you'd really think GB's defense would've been consistently better than it's been over the last 5-6 years. Maybe that's coaching more than talent available, idk. Whatever, that defense really never rose to the level of their drafts.

But you'd think that they'd have wanted to draft a WR in the 1st round at some point.

Chief Pagan 05-31-2023 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 16965260)

I think part of the problem is that he's just an asshole to begin with.

Certainly not the only celebrity athlete in that category, but it makes things harder.

For having thirty years of Favre/Rodgers HOF QB, GB doesn't have as much to show for it as they probably should.

No doubt they could have drafted better. But drafting a QB in the first round really seemed to light a fire in Rodgers. I don't know if he has the season he did otherwise.