ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Potential 1st round Targets (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=352308)

staylor26 02-20-2024 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 17411213)
Hopefully Mahomes works the WRs out again.

Rice has worked out well, we could use one more high end young talent.

I'm sure there will be a few rookie WRs at camp Mahomes this year, and Mitchell/Worthy are as good of a bet as anybody seeing as it's in Texas.

staylor26 02-20-2024 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 17411220)
I feel this way about Keon Coleman, who is a hard prospect for me to gadge. The WR class is so good and so deep that I'll trust who Veach picks

Go back and watch Coleman returning punts and running after the catch.

That's stuff this team values at the position. He's not just a contested catch guy.

MahomesMagic 02-20-2024 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 17411225)
Go back and watch Coleman returning punts and running after the catch.

That's stuff this team values at the position. He's not just a contested catch guy.

There’s a play where he’s running towards the endzone and some little corner pulls up and he just puts his hand on him and pushes him away like a child while continuing to score a Touchdown.

I normally do look for the speed, route running combo but Mitchell and Coleman have my full attention.

O.city 02-20-2024 02:16 PM

Those guys are also gonna occupy a similar place on the field as what Rice does. I don't foresee them going that route.

MahomesMagic 02-20-2024 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17411247)
Those guys are also gonna occupy a similar place on the field as what Rice does. I don't foresee them going that route.

Rice was playing the bully slot role last year.

We still need WRs that win on the boundary.

O.city 02-20-2024 02:21 PM

The Chiefs move WR's around, they dont' have "outside" "slot" guys. They just don't value those types that you all are talking about or atleast haven't in the past.

MahomesMagic 02-20-2024 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17411256)
The Chiefs move WR's around, they dont' have "outside" "slot" guys.

So what. We need guys that win on the boundary.

That’s not how Rice was used last year.

If you are looking at redundancy it would be spending a high pick on a slot WR.

kcbubb 02-20-2024 02:27 PM

I liked Xavier worthy a lot and wasn’t excited about adonai Mitchell until the college playoffs and Texas kept calling plays at the end of the game for Mitchell and worthy barely got the ball. And Mitchell expected the ball was upset when he didn’t get it. Mitchell is a gamer, high floor prospect. Great hands and great in the red zone. I’d be happy if the chiefs picked him, but this draft is so deep at wr. I’d probably try and trade up in the 3rd and get two WRs.

I like Brenden rice, Jerry’s son. He’s 6’2” and 212 lbs and a 4.38 40. He was clocked at 23 mph on the gps and is long strider deep threat like his dad. Drop rate of 4.3%. When I see a WR that lifts weights like what put him on Feldmans freak list, it just shows me that he’s a hard worker and really that’s what we need. We need emotionally consistent players that will work hard and be able to handle the moment. Guys like Toney have the talent but not the maturity and that worries me with guys like Xavier worthy or Legette, especially if you’re picking them early.

Made Bruce Feldman's Freaks List at #53. He said, "...the biggest Freak of the bunch is the one with the heftiest football bloodlines, Brenden Rice, son of the greatest receiver ever, Jerry Rice. The younger Rice, who had 39 catches for 611 yards (15.7-yard average) and four touchdowns in 2022, is 6-3, 215 pounds and hit 23 MPH on the GPS and had an impressive 1.43 10-yard split. This offseason, Rice also vertical-jumped 38 inches, did 17 reps of 225 on the bench and squatted 525 for three reps."

https://x.com/DWTB_/status/1754207977718853893?s=20

And there’s a few others I like in the third also. I like Jalen McMillan. If he falls late in the third, I like Burton. Pick the fatties in rounds 1 & 2 and get me two WRs in the third, please.

O.city 02-20-2024 02:27 PM

Rice was inside and out. He wasn't a "slot" guy.

Same as Tyreek was here, same as Andy has always used his WR's.

O.city 02-20-2024 02:30 PM

I'm pro having a real guy outside that can win, but it just doesn't seem something the Chiefs have valued

MahomesMagic 02-20-2024 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17411270)
Rice was inside and out. He wasn't a "slot" guy.

Same as Tyreek was here, same as Andy has always used his WR's.

Juju also lined up outside a lot when he was here.

Still didn’t make him an outside WR.

Anyways, enough how many angels can dance on a pin with you.

Watch where Rice caught the ball last year.

O.city 02-20-2024 03:00 PM

I guess argue semantics if you want.

Still won't likely end with the Chiefs drafting a guy they never target in these things, but carry on.

Dante84 02-20-2024 03:09 PM

Who compares most similarly to Zay Flowers?

Apparently that's who we fell in love with last year but couldn't maneuver up to get.

MahomesMagic 02-20-2024 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17411336)
I guess argue semantics if you want.

Still won't likely end with the Chiefs drafting a guy they never target in these things, but carry on.

Up until 2023 draft you could say the Chiefs never targeted good WR's.

You can keep looking for the next Skyy Moore. I will target guys that look like real NFL players.

DJ's left nut 02-20-2024 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 17411349)
Who compares most similarly to Zay Flowers?

Apparently that's who we fell in love with last year but couldn't maneuver up to get.

Probably Corley strictly from a traits standpoint.

There's just so much size in this draft. Flowers is barely scraping 5'10'', IIRC. And maybe 180 lbs. He's also not a burner - more quick than fast.

How about Roman Wilson? That seems to be a pretty fair comp. Roman Wilson looks like a lesser version of Flowers to me in a lot of ways. Maybe a solid pick in the 2nd.

O.city 02-20-2024 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 17411393)
Up until 2023 draft you could say the Chiefs never targeted good WR's.

You can keep looking for the next Skyy Moore. I will target guys that look like real NFL players.

Talk to the team that's won 3 of the past 5 SB's, not me. I haven't drafted a player, I traded all my picks away.

O.city 02-20-2024 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17411450)
Probably Corley strictly from a traits standpoint.

There's just so much size in this draft. Flowers is barely scraping 5'10'', IIRC. And maybe 180 lbs. He's also not a burner - more quick than fast.

How about Roman Wilson? That seems to be a pretty fair comp. Roman Wilson looks like a lesser version of Flowers to me in a lot of ways. Maybe a solid pick in the 2nd.

I've kinda zero'd in on Wilson in the 2nd round as a real target that would seem to fit what they look for.

Amon Ra St Brown had a similar athletic profile.

DJ's left nut 02-20-2024 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17411466)
I've kinda zero'd in on Wilson in the 2nd round as a real target that would seem to fit what they look for.

Amon Ra St Brown had a similar athletic profile.

I keep asking myself why I shouldn't be elated with Jermaine Burton if we got him in the 2nd.

My answer is usually "you should be - he won't be there. Just take Jalen McMillan and call it a day..."

But Burton seems to have that dreaded 'Character Concerns' tag floating about him and that might push him down into that late 2nd. I don't think I'd be looking to trade up for him, but I'd be intrigued by a slide for sure.

kccrow 02-20-2024 05:31 PM

There's a lot not on this list purely because of FA expectations that I wouldn't necessarily rule out right now. A couple off the top of my head would be CB Kamari Lassiter, Georgia and LB Edgerrin Cooper, Texas A&M. Those boys bring it and both could be holes to fill. I don't rule Veach out of doing anything, honestly.

kcbubb 02-20-2024 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17411485)
I keep asking myself why I shouldn't be elated with Jermaine Burton if we got him in the 2nd.

My answer is usually "you should be - he won't be there. Just take Jalen McMillan and call it a day..."

But Burton seems to have that dreaded 'Character Concerns' tag floating about him and that might push him down into that late 2nd. I don't think I'd be looking to trade up for him, but I'd be intrigued by a slide for sure.

I like McMillan a lot. He’s just a smooth athlete. He transitions well and I could see him becoming a really good route runner. I get the intrigue with Burton. He’s amazing on the deep ball and really adjusts well in the air to catch the ball. I’d rather have McMillan in the third than Burton in the 2nd. I think there is more nuance to McMillan’s game and long term, I think he will be a really solid pro. Plus Burton is a hot head. He talks trash after every good play he makes. There’s some risk there with his judgement.

BWillie 02-20-2024 10:06 PM

Whatever guy is most like Skyy Moore, don't draft

staylor26 02-20-2024 10:54 PM

Jeremiah having Newton falling out of the 1st gives me hope that he could fall into our range.

Newton and Wilson/Burton/Pearsall in the 2nd would be perfect.

kccrow 02-20-2024 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 17411815)
Jeremiah having Newton falling out of the 1st gives me hope that he could fall into our range.

Newton and Wilson/Burton/Pearsall in the 2nd would be perfect.

Good, now take Leggette off your list and put him on. Haha.

I think the draft pundits don't like him against the run so much that they are paralyzed and just move him down the boards. I still come back to what's most important in the NFL and at the end of the day, it's pass rush. These are the same pundits that sucked off Calijah Kancey for months and he ended up going 19th, yet Newton is bigger and better than Kancey playing against tougher competition. In a league starved for quality penetrators at the DT position, I don't see how either he or Murphy are there at our pick and I think Newton is a better player than Murphy at disrupting the LOS.

Couch-Potato 02-21-2024 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 17411845)
Good, now take Leggette off your list and put him on. Haha.

I think the draft pundits don't like him against the run so much that they are paralyzed and just move him down the boards. I still come back to what's most important in the NFL and at the end of the day, it's pass rush. These are the same pundits that sucked off Calijah Kancey for months and he ended up going 19th, yet Newton is bigger and better than Kancey playing against tougher competition. In a league starved for quality penetrators at the DT position, I don't see how either he or Murphy are there at our pick and I think Newton is a better player than Murphy at disrupting the LOS.

Would you prefer Newton to Sweat if we kept Jones?

DJ's left nut 02-21-2024 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couch-Potato (Post 17411904)

I'd prefer Newton to Sweat either way.

Newton would be a fantastic pick.

DJ's left nut 02-21-2024 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcbubb (Post 17411771)
I like McMillan a lot. He’s just a smooth athlete. He transitions well and I could see him becoming a really good route runner. I get the intrigue with Burton. He’s amazing on the deep ball and really adjusts well in the air to catch the ball. I’d rather have McMillan in the third than Burton in the 2nd. I think there is more nuance to McMillan’s game and long term, I think he will be a really solid pro. Plus Burton is a hot head. He talks trash after every good play he makes. There’s some risk there with his judgement.

I think as teams get into McMillan's 2022 tape, he'll move up. I don't think he's there at the back of the 3rd and I'm a little worried he won't be there in the 2nd.

McMillan is a guy that's staying off the draft head's radars because of his injury this year but he looked like a guy ready to explode coming off his JR season. And he looked good when available this year.

When the regional scouts get 2022 tape in front of their GMs and personnel directors, those guys are going to have McMillan pretty high, IMO.

O.city 02-21-2024 09:08 AM

I like McMillan alot. Would love him in the 2nd.

kcbubb 02-21-2024 09:37 AM

What other wrs do yall like in the 2nd or 3rd? I just don’t see us going wr in round 1 with this much depth. Do you have list of 2nd round guys at wr? And 3rd round WRs?

staylor26 02-21-2024 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcbubb (Post 17412072)
What other wrs do yall like in the 2nd or 3rd? I just don’t see us going wr in round 1 with this much depth. Do you have list of 2nd round guys at wr? And 3rd round WRs?

2nd round:

Ja'Lynn Polk, Washington
Roman Wilson, Michigan
Jermaine Burton, Alabama
Ricky Pearsall, Florida
Jalen McMillan, Washington
Ladd McConkey, Georgia
Devontez Walker, UNC
Brenden Rice, USC

Some of these guys will probably go in the 3rd, but I don't expect any of them to make it to 96.

O.city 02-21-2024 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 17412097)
2nd round:

Ja'Lynn Polk, Washington
Roman Wilson, Michigan
Jermaine Burton, Alabama
Ricky Pearsall, Florida
Ladd McConkey, Georgia
Devontez Walker, UNC
Brenden Rice, USC

Some of these guys will probably go in the 3rd, but I don't expect any of them to make it to 96.

See I keep running into this when I look at our first round WR options.

I like Worthy and Franklin better, but not THAT much better.

Mecca 02-21-2024 10:12 AM

I think Troy Franklin would be a monster in the Chiefs offense so.

staylor26 02-21-2024 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17412115)
See I keep running into this when I look at our first round WR options.

I like Worthy and Franklin better, but not THAT much better.

Eh, I think Franklin (and Thomas Jr.) are in a different tier than Worthy.

Only way I'm passing up Franklin or Thomas Jr. is if somebody like Newton or Mims falls into our lap.

DJ's left nut 02-21-2024 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 17412097)
2nd round:

Ja'Lynn Polk, Washington
Roman Wilson, Michigan
Jermaine Burton, Alabama
Ricky Pearsall, Florida
Ladd McConkey, Georgia
Devontez Walker, UNC
Brenden Rice, USC

I'd have a similar list but broken up a bit (which means I probably won't get most of them)

2nd:

Walker
McMillan
Mitchell
Worthy
Legette
Wilson
Burton (would need the interviews to go well)

3rd:

McConkey
Polk
Pearsall
Rice
Thrash (curious to see how he times; he looks faster than the listed times for him)

Does that mean I wouldn't end up getting any of those guys I list as 3rd round guys? Yeah - probably. But I wouldn't be happy to see any of them taken in the 2nd so I'd just shrug and move along. Any one of them COULD be guys I move up into that 2nd round status (probably not Thrash), but I don't think it's terribly likely.

raybec 4 02-21-2024 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17412042)
I'd prefer Newton to Sweat either way.

Newton would be a fantastic pick.

I really don't see a scenario where Newton is there at 32. I could be wrong.

staylor26 02-21-2024 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 17412153)
I really don't see a scenario where Newton is there at 32. I could be wrong.

When a guy like DJ has him falling out of the 1st entirely, it's at least a small possibility.

staylor26 02-21-2024 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17412147)
I'd have a similar list but broken up a bit (which means I probably won't get most of them)

2nd:

Walker
McMillan
Mitchell
Worthy
Legette
Wilson

3rd:

McConkey
Polk
Pearsall
Rice
Thrash (curious to see how he times; he looks faster than the listed times for him)

Does that mean I wouldn't end up getting any of those guys I list as 3rd round guys? Yeah - probably. But I wouldn't be happy to see any of them taken in the 2nd so I'd just shrug and move along. Any one of them COULD be guys I move up into that 2nd round status (probably not Thrash), but I don't think it's terribly likely.

I expect most in that first group to be gone, and I'd gladly take Polk or Pearsall at 64, but McConkey and Rice are an example of guys being available that would probably lead me to punt on WR in the 2nd.

DJ's left nut 02-21-2024 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 17412168)
I expect most in that first group to be gone, and I'd gladly take Polk or Pearsall at 64, but McConkey and Rice are an example of guys being available that would probably lead me to punt on WR in the 2nd.

Rice, oddly enough, is someone I think I'd like more if he WASN'T named Rice. I just push-back hard enough against the "Oh it's Jerry's kid" gimmick that I can't help but wonder if I'm pushing TOO hard.

Because there's a lot to like there. He might be pretty damn good; better than my cynical ass is giving him credit for.

staylor26 02-21-2024 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17412173)
Rice, oddly enough, is someone I think I'd like more if he WASN'T named Rice. I just push-back hard enough against the "Oh it's Jerry's kid" gimmick that I can't help but wonder if I'm pushing TOO hard.

Because there's a lot to like there. He might be pretty damn good; better than my cynical ass is giving him credit for.

He's a tough evaluation for me. If he can have a great combine, he'll get a boost.

kccrow 02-21-2024 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couch-Potato (Post 17411904)

Newton all day.

O.city 02-21-2024 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 17412144)
Eh, I think Franklin (and Thomas Jr.) are in a different tier than Worthy.

Only way I'm passing up Franklin or Thomas Jr. is if somebody like Newton or Mims falls into our lap.

I'm just lower on Franklin than the consensus here. Thomas JR for sure, take him.

I think Franklin is probably better than Worthy, for sure though.

Mecca 02-21-2024 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17412314)
I'm just lower on Franklin than the consensus here. Thomas JR for sure, take him.

I think Franklin is probably better than Worthy, for sure though.

Why don't you like Franklin, curious.

O.city 02-21-2024 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 17412323)
Why don't you like Franklin, curious.

His low contested catch rate scares me for a big guy like that who's probably not gonna be a big separator.

O.city 02-21-2024 12:19 PM

I'm probably way to low on the guy.

staylor26 02-21-2024 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17412332)
His low contested catch rate scares me for a big guy like that who's probably not gonna be a big separator.

I don't know that I'd call him a "big" separator, although he is in terms of the vertical stuff, but he's not Adonai Mitchell either. He has little issue getting separation, and his drop rate or whatever is pretty similar to Rice.

raybec 4 02-21-2024 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17412336)
I'm probably way to low on the guy.

I feel like everyone hollering for Franklin were in the same boat with Hyatt last year. They see it as a need and plug him in because he might be the best WR available in that spot. There are a lot of directions they might go that we won't see coming.

staylor26 02-21-2024 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 17412352)
I feel like everyone hollering for Franklin were in the same boat with Hyatt last year. They see it as a need and plug him in because he might be the best WR available in that spot. There are a lot of directions they might go that we won't see coming.

Nah man, Franklin is much more polished, and just a better overall prospect.

Chris Meck 02-21-2024 12:35 PM

Quote:

If his dad was like... Randy Moss, I would, too. The son of a freak athlete.

The thing is, his old man was the greatest technician to ever play the position. Jr. Actually looks to be a better athlete than his dad was. And nobody worked harder than Jerry Rice. If ANY of that rubbed off...

raybec 4 02-21-2024 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 17412356)
Nah man, Franklin is much more polished, and just a better overall prospect.

I'm not comparing the two players, just the situation. We needed a WR in 23 and we went with a DE in the 1st with Hyatt still on the board. A lot of folks projected Hyatt to the Chiefs early in the draft season. Franklin is the choice this year.

staylor26 02-21-2024 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 17412363)
I'm not comparing the two players, just the situation. We needed a WR in 23 and we went with a DE in the 1st with Hyatt still on the board. A lot of folks projected Hyatt to the Chiefs early in the draft season. Franklin is the choice this year.

I don't think Franklin is 100% BPA if he's available, but chances are if he's there, it's just a perfect fit in terms of need and skill set.

He's just a better prospect than Hyatt. That's the point I'm trying to make, which is why I think it's a different situation too.

raybec 4 02-21-2024 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 17412366)
I don't think Franklin is 100% BPA if he's available, but chances are if he's there, it's just a perfect fit in terms of need and skill set.

He's just a better prospect than Hyatt. That's the point I'm trying to make, which is why I think it's a different situation too.

I get that. There's no way Franklin makes it to the 3rd like Hyatt did IMO.

wachashi 02-21-2024 01:00 PM

I don't think Brett Kollmann is a particularly good talent evaluator, so it's worth taking his opinions with a grain of salt, but his comp for Troy Franklin is...MVS. No joke. He says they are both slender-build vertical threats that struggle to play through contact and struggle in contested catch situations.

staylor26 02-21-2024 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wachashi (Post 17412402)
I don't think Brett Kollmann is a particularly good talent evaluator, so it's worth taking his opinions with a grain of salt, but his comp for Troy Franklin is...MVS. No joke. He says they are both slender-build vertical threats that struggle to play through contact and struggle in contested catch situations.

Saw him make that comparison, and I think it's a weak one.

Franklin is like a billionaire's MVS.

Mecca 02-21-2024 01:11 PM

Brett Kollman also hated Rashee Rice, called it a terrible pick and said he thought Niko Remigio brought more to the table.

kcbubb 02-21-2024 01:51 PM

Quote:

I like rice a lot. He seems like a high floor prospect. He’s gonna put in the work. Wrs that can bench and squat like that have made a habit of working. He has long deep speed. I think 23 mph. And I like that with Mahomes. Rice is just not as twitchy. He’d be a solid contributor for a long time. The Tampa Hali of WRs. He’s got good size too at 6’2” 210.

kcbubb 02-21-2024 02:01 PM

What do y’all see as the total of wrs selected in each round? This just isn’t adding up to me. Looks like you’re projecting 22 wrs taken in the first 3 rounds. I think the record is 13 WRs taken in the first 2 rounds. And you’d think that the 3rd round would drop a lot with that many teams taking WRs early. The sweet spot is early in the 3rd round for WRs. There should be some talent available. I think we can get a talented guy at the end of round at wr and then trade up in the third and get another really talented wr if we wanted to. And this would be the year to do it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17412147)

2nd:

Walker
McMillan
Mitchell
Worthy
Legette
Wilson

3rd:

McConkey
Polk
Pearsall
Rice

duncan_idaho 02-21-2024 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 17412408)
Saw him make that comparison, and I think it's a weak one.

Franklin is like a billionaire's MVS.

Agree. I've seen Jordan Addison, and I think that tracks a lot better.

He's tall and thin and fast and separates well. He's not going to fare well if a CB like Sneed is lined up against him and can get hands on, and he isn't going to make a living Moss-ing people.

MahomesMagic 02-21-2024 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17411778)
Whatever guy is most like Skyy Moore, don't draft

;)

O.city 02-21-2024 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 17412347)
I don't know that I'd call him a "big" separator, although he is in terms of the vertical stuff, but he's not Adonai Mitchell either. He has little issue getting separation, and his drop rate or whatever is pretty similar to Rice.

Generally, the drop rate and contested catch stuff translates not very well for guys in the nfl
Rice is somewhat outlier

Nightfyre 02-21-2024 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 17412513)
Agree. I've seen Jordan Addison, and I think that tracks a lot better.

He's tall and thin and fast and separates well. He's not going to fare well if a CB like Sneed is lined up against him and can get hands on, and he isn't going to make a living Moss-ing people.

Addison had an actual route tree at his disposal, where Hyatt did not. Addison was clearly the most ready WR in the round one conversation last year, but this year I think he would have slipped out of the first round. I would put Franklin somewhere in between the two, personally. But Hyatt was a project coming out, and teams valuation of him, imo, was likely to hinge on how quickly they thought he could learn a proper offense.

staylor26 02-21-2024 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17412644)
Generally, the drop rate and contested catch stuff translates not very well for guys in the nfl
Rice is somewhat outlier

You know what else translates?

Quote:

College WR Prospect with +3.10 YPRR for 20 year old season, over 6'0, with round 1-2 draft capital:
(since 2018)

Devonta Smith
CeeDee Lamb
Jerry Jeudy
A.J. Brown
Tee Higgins
Jameson Williams
Drake London
Troy Franklin

Dude, like Rice, was extremely productive despite the drops. They're completely overblown if that's the only real knock. You aren't going to get any better at 32.

MahomesMagic 02-21-2024 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 17412681)

Dude, like Rice, was extremely productive despite the drops. They're completely overblown if that's the only real knock.

I don't think you disliked Drake London but a lot of CP hated him before the draft.

Kid is great.

Imagine if he had a real QB.

staylor26 02-21-2024 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 17412685)
I don't think you disliked Drake London but a lot of CP hated him before the draft.

Kid is great.

Imagine if he had a real QB.

No, I loved London.

MahomesMagic 02-21-2024 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 17412688)
No, I loved London.

I had him as the #1 WR and got lots of "he is not fast enough".

Of course I can't take a victory lap until Falcons get a real QB because most people still don't know how good he is.

staylor26 02-21-2024 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 17412691)
I had him as the #1 WR and got lots of "he is not fast enough".

Of course I can't take a victory lap until Falcons get a real QB because most people still don't know how good he is.

My argument for London is the same I've made for Coleman.

They're big guys that get put in the contested catch only box, but they're sneaky good after the catch, and better athletes than they're given credit for.

Interestingly enough, Lance Zierlein's pro comp for Coleman is London.

MahomesMagic 02-21-2024 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 17412695)
My argument for London is the same I've made for Coleman.

They're big guys that get put in the contested catch only box, but they're sneaky good after the catch, and better athletes than they're given credit for.

Interestingly enough, Lance Zierlein's pro comp for Coleman is London.

I can see it as far as how they win against NFL corners.

My comps for Coleman might be Pittman or Nico Collins as far as quick and dirty what style of WR you are getting.

DJ's left nut 02-21-2024 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 17412705)
I can see it as far as how they win against NFL corners.

My comps for Coleman might be Pittman or Nico Collins as far as quick and dirty what style of WR you are getting.

I don't see Pittman and Collins as comparable players at all.

To get super lazy and just use recent Chiefs, Pittman would be akin to Bowe and Collins to Maclin.

Couch-Potato 02-21-2024 04:38 PM

Just catching up, here's a few thoughts...

1. Franklyn compared to MVS isn't my favorite, I see a bit of C. Watson or G. Pickens crossed with a bit of J. Waddle or Devonta Smith in his game, but think J. Addison is the best comp. Keep in mind though that I ONLY watch these guys college highlights lol. I think Worthy is this year's Hyatt.

2. I'm not very high on big WRs for KC either, unless they have the exceptional physical gifts to be an alpha WR 1 or a big play-breaker. This year those guys for me are Thomas Jr, Keon Coleman and Xavier Legette. Mahomes to Thomas Jr deep would be a great match, if Coleman is the new Mike Evans that'd be a great fit, and I could imagine Andy designing screen passes for Legette to leverage his physical gifts. I hated London last year, didn't even like Dwane Bowe, KC prefers Tyreek Hill types.

3. Speaking of NEVER watching college football, I haven't tuned in to any of Harrison Jr's tape yet. None of the top 3 WRs actually, they're just not of interest if they're not going to be available to us. Is he really that good!? Why is he getting so much hype and Jerry Rice's kid isn't? They both scored 12+ TDs, both had approx. 18 yards per catch, what's the deal? Loved Steve Smith's comment on Rice Jr, said something like "he runs like Pachecco. Like he's running for his life out there! Full sprint every play, maximum effort."

4. I don't think 22 WRs go in the first 3 rounds, there will be guys that drop. I've been thinking lately that there might be a tendency for fans to project WR's higher than they tend to go in the draft because they're a polarizing positions. Fans love offensive weapons! We always fall in love with these draft darlings and forget that most of them don't turn into much when they get in the league. AT Perry is a good example from last year, we were all impressed with him as a novelty and I think he had 1 catch this season. This year, J. Wilson is a better version of what Perry was but not as much interest for whatever reason. Might be bc this draft has so many traditional WRs that he's seen as an odd ball. Might make a good TE!?

Couch-Potato 02-21-2024 04:54 PM

Also, regarding a list of 2nd round targets...

I've been tooling around with the idea of a draft game for us, looking to you guys to see if there's any interest? ...the idea would be to start a thread for our game, everyone picks 3 players for each of our draft picks, and whoever gets the most correct wins. Maybe I'd send you a Chiefs hat or something if you win, and we could play every offseason.

Any interest?

MahomesMagic 02-21-2024 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couch-Potato (Post 17412730)
Just catching up, here's a few thoughts...

1. Franklyn compared to MVS isn't my favorite, I see a bit of C. Watson or G. Pickens crossed with a bit of J. Waddle or Devonta Smith in his game, but think J. Addison is the best comp. Keep in mind though that I ONLY watch these guys college highlights lol. I think Worthy is this year's Hyatt.

2. I'm not very high on big WRs for KC either, unless they have the exceptional physical gifts to be an alpha WR 1 or a big play-breaker. This year those guys for me are Thomas Jr, Keon Coleman and Xavier Legette. Mahomes to Thomas Jr deep would be a great match, if Coleman is the new Mike Evans that'd be a great fit, and I could imagine Andy designing screen passes for Legette to leverage his physical gifts. I hated London last year, didn't even like Dwane Bowe, KC prefers Tyreek Hill types.

3. Speaking of NEVER watching college football, I haven't tuned in to any of Harrison Jr's tape yet. None of the top 3 WRs actually, they're just not of interest if they're not going to be available to us. Is he really that good!? Why is he getting so much hype and Jerry Rice's kid isn't? They both scored 12+ TDs, both had approx. 18 yards per catch, what's the deal? Loved Steve Smith's comment on Rice Jr, said something like "he runs like Pachecco. Like he's running for his life out there! Full sprint every play, maximum effort."

4. I don't think 22 WRs go in the first 3 rounds, there will be guys that drop. I've been thinking lately that there might be a tendency for fans to project WR's higher than they tend to go in the draft because they're a polarizing positions. Fans love offensive weapons! We always fall in love with these draft darlings and forget that most of them don't turn into much when they get in the league. AT Perry is a good example from last year, we were all impressed with him as a novelty and I think he had 1 catch this season. This year, J. Wilson is a better version of what Perry was but not as much interest for whatever reason. Might be bc this draft has so many traditional WRs that he's seen as an odd ball. Might make a good TE!?

If he compares to J Waddle he won’t be lasting till end of the 1st.

:thumb:

Couch-Potato 02-21-2024 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 17412754)
If he compares to J Waddle he won’t be lasting till end of the 1st.

:thumb:

Well, sure, he's not actually J Waddle. I'm just saying I see some similarities between the two in the the type of WRs they are. Meant to mean that Franklin's not just a deep threat, he runs crisp routes and can separate at all three levels, he doesn't just run deep and pray.

MahomesMagic 02-21-2024 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couch-Potato (Post 17412770)
Well, sure, he's not actually J Waddle. I'm just saying I see some similarities between the two in the the type of WRs they are. Meant to mean that Franklin's not just a deep threat, he runs crisp routes and can separate at all three levels, he doesn't just run deep and pray.

Haven’t dug into him yet.

Highlights were what I expected, guy running by overwhelmed corners.

duncan_idaho 02-21-2024 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 17412774)
Haven’t dug into him yet.

Highlights were what I expected, guy running by overwhelmed corners.

He put up big games against Washington, USC, Colorado, and Wazzou. Or the best teams they played.

Unfortunately, Travis Hunter didn’t play against Oregon, so we don’t have any of that matchup.

I don’t think he’s a guy big-voting the shitty teams on their schedule, though.

Couch-Potato 02-21-2024 09:34 PM

Adding to the big vs fast WR discussion that there's really no question which is preferred in today's NFL. Here are a couple articles from PFF highlighting the most efficient RBs and WRs with the most separation in 2023.

Most efficient RB:

1. DE’VON ACHANE, MIAMI DOLPHINS: 92.1
Achane didn’t see the volume of some of the other top running backs, but his efficiency was unmatched. He averaged 7.5 yards per carry, including 4.9 after contact, and forced 30 missed tackles on 108 rushing attempts.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-highest...fL%2BoLPeE5kNC

WR's that created the most separation 2023:

1. Tyreek Hill
2. Believe it or not, Justin Watson

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-rou...4kAWmukA940w76

Kay Take Away
Speed Kills.

kcbubb 02-21-2024 09:58 PM

I don’t think the take away there is that speed kills. It’s that the dolphins had people so spread out that those fast rbs feasted in that offense. It’s more complimentary football for me. Things have to fit. Were the lions wrong to feed David Montgomery and not feed Gibbs more? I don’t think so. They worked together well. I do think you’re right (as far as speed kills) that Mahomes does best with speedy WRs and their separation. He’s more comfortable with them or appears to be and it really lets him use his arm strength on the deep ball, which we’ve got to get back in this offense. Our offense could be lethal with our current running game and a deep ball. And both of those would open up Kelce more. So, maybe you’re right, speed would kill for us. The fit is there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couch-Potato (Post 17413047)
Adding to the big vs fast WR discussion that there's really no question which is preferred in today's NFL. Here are a couple articles from PFF highlighting the most efficient RBs and WRs with the most separation in 2023.

Most efficient RB:

1. DE’VON ACHANE, MIAMI DOLPHINS: 92.1
Achane didn’t see the volume of some of the other top running backs, but his efficiency was unmatched. He averaged 7.5 yards per carry, including 4.9 after contact, and forced 30 missed tackles on 108 rushing attempts.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-highest...fL%2BoLPeE5kNC

WR's that created the most separation 2023:

1. Tyreek Hill
2. Believe it or not, Justin Watson

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-rou...4kAWmukA940w76

Kay Take Away
Speed Kills.

O.city 02-22-2024 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 17412681)

Dude, like Rice, was extremely productive despite the drops. They're completely overblown if that's the only real knock. You aren't going to get any better at 32.

I like him, the drops and such just generally don't translate very well. Rice has worked out great, but that may be some outlier stuff.

I wouldn't be upset at all with Franklin, my thing is it's kind of against what the Chiefs have looked for in WR's early. Maybe that's a good thing cause it hasn't been a good spot for them drafting early, so some change is needed.

Couch-Potato 02-23-2024 11:55 PM

Arrowhead Pride:

Spoiler!

kccrow 03-05-2024 07:33 AM

For the love of all that is right in the world, please add Kamari Lassiter to this list.

He's one guy I'd drive a stake in the ground for in the first if we don't move way up for a LT or there aren't a very select couple of WRs sitting in striking distance.

As much as I like Franklin this is one guy who would probably make me flip a coin, especially if we're losing Sneed.

RunKC 03-05-2024 03:00 PM

If Chris Jones leaves I’m placing all my money on a trade up for Darius Robinson. He’s an ideal Spags DL

Couch-Potato 03-05-2024 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 17429024)
If Chris Jones leaves I’m placing all my money on a trade up for Darius Robinson. He’s an ideal Spags DL

How high do you think he goes? What's his range?

Dunerdr 03-05-2024 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couch-Potato (Post 17429266)
How high do you think he goes? What's his range?

I would think Detroit is in on him? Miami and Baltimore depending on how free agency goes?