ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chris Jones threatens to Hold Out (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=332162)

Halfcan 07-01-2020 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 15047171)
Every year everyone wants to dump Sorenson yet every year the guy plays a big part in big games.

:LOL:

Yep, I was one of them until he balled out this year in huge games. He is a gamer and I will never say a bad word about him again. The guy gets it and is a tough, badass player.

The Franchise 07-01-2020 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 15047152)
I love Chris.

If either Miami or Jacksonville are willing to offer both of their 2 1st rounders in the 2021 draft, you'd have to listen.

Imagine Veach having a draft with THREE 1st rounders, with 1 likely being top 10. Like, dear God.

That's the kind of move that sets us up (more than we already are) to be a 5 year dynasty with Pat at QB.

That’s not happening.

RealSNR 07-01-2020 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 15047077)
It took 50 years since our last championship to win and now we are favored to go back-to-back. We have a great team- why get rid of guys that contributed to winning just for cap space?

You strike while the iron is hot. This year is different, teams will not have much time to gel and we will be bringing back a championship team mostly intact. I like the strategy.

I disagree, and I've been disagreeing with this mindset all offseason. Hell, probably before this offseason.

If healthy, Mahomes will get you in the playoffs. Every. Single. Year. Shitty defense? If he has enough weapons he'll still take you to the AFC Championship and just about win the ****ing thing. No running game? Still won a Super Bowl. Month-plus injuries to his top speed WR, LT, all while the defense had a billion new starters attempting to work through a new defense and new coaches? 12-4 and a 2 seed (and an eventual Super Bowl).

We're not the Kansas City Royals. We don't play baseball. We don't need to stock up and sell the farm once every 8-10 years and be mired in mediocrity the rest of the time. Our "down" years are still playoff years, and even in some of those "down" years we can't be counted out to make a magical run if things gel just right.

The idea of striking while the iron is hot is a bit irresponsible, because I'd rather have a decent chance at winning a Super Bowl into the extension years of Mahomes' career than trying to go all in now but have to look like the Seattle Seahawks after Russell's big money deal.

Going for all the marbles in a particular year is great and all, but if you miss on that opportunity (and it does happen-- it's the NFL) THAT'S how guys like Aaron Rodgers get their careers wasted.

Dante84 07-01-2020 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 15047186)
That’s not happening.

Yeah, Jax is likely going to be picking top 3, and probably have their hearts set on Trevor Lawrence.

Miami, on the other hand, has an extra 2nd in 2021.

Round 1: Their own pick
Round 1: From Houston
Round 2: Own
Round 2: From Houston

I doubt we'd be eager to move him in the conference, and while I also doubt they'd part with both 1sts, I can envision a scenario where we get the earliest 1st and the earliest 2nd, which is less exciting.

DJ's left nut 07-01-2020 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15047198)
I disagree, and I've been disagreeing with this mindset all offseason. Hell, probably before this offseason.

If healthy, Mahomes will get you in the playoffs. Every. Single. Year. Shitty defense? If he has enough weapons he'll still take you to the AFC Championship and just about win the ****ing thing. No running game? Still won a Super Bowl. Month-plus injuries to his top speed WR, LT, all while the defense had a billion new starters attempting to work through a new defense and new coaches? 12-4 and a 2 seed (and an eventual Super Bowl).

We're not the Kansas City Royals. We don't play baseball. We don't need to stock up and sell the farm once every 8-10 years and be mired in mediocrity the rest of the time. Our "down" years are still playoff years, and even in some of those "down" years we can't be counted out to make a magical run if things gel just right.

The idea of striking while the iron is hot is a bit irresponsible, because I'd rather have a decent chance at winning a Super Bowl into the extension years of Mahomes' career than trying to go all in now but have to look like the Seattle Seahawks after Russell's big money deal.

Going for all the marbles in a particular year is great and all, but if you miss on that opportunity (and it does happen-- it's the NFL) THAT'S how guys like Aaron Rodgers get their careers wasted.

Greatest coach/QB combination in history failed to win the Super Bowl more than half the time they were together.

Having the best team or talent STILL doesn't guarantee dick.

I'll trade a year w/ a 50% shot at a SB for 2 years w/ a 40% shot at the SB every time. Gimme more bites at the apple over fewer larger bites. Sure, there's a bit of a gambler's fallacy issue there, but we have the ultimate force multiplier under center. By any reasonable measure the Chiefs should've lost that SB but then Mahomes did Mahomes shit and that was all she wrote.

That possibility will be there. So I don't feel any desperate need to push my chips into the center.

RealSNR 07-01-2020 04:54 PM

Meh. It's time we stop being scared of moving guys around in the conference.

All NFL teams have to occasionally let guys walk or release/cut them. Sometimes they wind up with our own division rivals. Sometimes their cuts wind up on our rosters. It's nothing new.

We're not even talking in-division, here. We're talking in-conference. If we traded LDT to the Dolphins is it that much worse than him signing with the Dolphins after we cut him?

Halfcan 07-01-2020 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15047198)

So you would rather substantially lower our odds to repeat This year- to hopefully, increase our odds down the road? not me- I think we will win it again this year.

A lot of the guys came back on 1 year deals with Sammy taking a pay cut. So it is not like Veech pushed all of his chips in and completely mortgaged our future this offseason. Plus he brought in a lot of cheap talent- that will replace older / overpaid players in the coming seasons.

You can say he did that to some degree with bringing in Clark and Honey Badger. But would you rather be loaded in cap space not having these guys or a SB ring? In 10 years nobody cares how much cap space we had the last year-but will remember our SB forever.

DJ's left nut 07-01-2020 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 15047221)
So you would rather substantially lower our odds to repeat This year- to hopefully, increase our odds down the road? not me- I think we will win it again this year.

A lot of the guys came back on 1 year deals with Sammy taking a pay cut. So it is not like Veech pushed all of his chips in and completely mortgaged our future this offseason. Plus he brought in a lot of cheap talent- that will replace older / overpaid players in the coming seasons.

You can say he did that to some degree with bringing in Clark and Honey Badger. But would you rather be loaded in cap space not having these guys or a SB ring? In 10 years nobody cares how much cap space we had the last year-but will remember our SB forever.

If Jones chooses to hold out and we've swapped Jones for LDT, Watkins and Sorensen, we will have 'substantially lowered our odds' THIS season, IMO.

And definitely in subsequent seasons.

RealSNR 07-01-2020 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 15047213)
Greatest coach/QB combination in history failed to win the Super Bowl more than half the time they were together.

Having the best team or talent STILL doesn't guarantee dick.

I'll trade a year w/ a 50% shot at a SB for 2 years w/ a 40% shot at the SB every time. Gimme more bites at the apple over fewer larger bites. Sure, there's a bit of a gambler's fallacy issue there, but we have the ultimate force multiplier under center. By any reasonable measure the Chiefs should've lost that SB but then Mahomes did Mahomes shit and that was all she wrote.

That possibility will be there. So I don't feel any desperate need to push my chips into the center.

But that strategy was exactly what Veach tried to do. Keep everybody so the team would have one 50% shot instead of two 40% shots. And you said it was a bit of a shortsighted strategy.

DJ's left nut 07-01-2020 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15047227)
But that strategy was exactly what Veach tried to do. Keep everybody so the team would have one 50% shot instead of two 40% shots. And you said it was a bit of a shortsighted strategy.

I agree?

Again - I don't LIKE what Veach did here. My point is that I'd take multiple shots over a single more likely shot every time.

I'm not arguing with you. I'm saying that the NFL is so beholden to random chance that over any meaningful timeline, your outcomes will be better if you pursue a more balanced approach.

Now as to last season - I kinda get that one and I'll defend it. The Chiefs hadn't won a SB in 5 decades and seemed to be cursed. They'd knocked on the door the year before and it was time to kick that ****er in. Go ahead and make some aggressive moves then.

But now it's done. The championship is won, the curse is lifted and any potential of the "Can't win the big one" for Mahomes is gone, as is the 'greatest coach without a title' crap for Andy. All of that pressure is gone.

So with that being lifted, it was time to take a more measured long-term approach rather than continue to keep the pedal down, IMO.

The 'run it back' drive is admirable and defensible. Going back to back puts you in a different, special tier. But ultimately even THAT is hindered by the fact that Jones now appears to be unwilling to play on the tag.

Which gets back to where I was on the Buckner trade thing - I just feel like perhaps Veach mis-read the room w/r/t Jones here.

Halfcan 07-01-2020 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 15047224)
If Jones chooses to hold out and we've swapped Jones for LDT, Watkins and Sorensen, we will have 'substantially lowered our odds' THIS season, IMO.

And definitely in subsequent seasons.

It seems this is a chicken and egg scenario.

If we would have cut LDT, Watkins and Sorensen- all solid guys - we would have taken a cap hit and possibly not have replacements this year. This Lowers our odds this year.

You sign Jones- who you stated before- misses his run assignments- to one of the highest contracts in chiefs history. It Helps our odds this year, while also eliminating cap flexibility in the future- which could Lower our odds.

Isn't going all in on Jones with a Mega contract- going "all In'?

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 07-01-2020 05:53 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;Chris Jones is everything to that [Kansas City] defense. He is more important than Honey Badger, more important, big picture, than Tyreek Hill or Travis Kelce.&quot; <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchein?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@AdamSchein</a> believes that the Chiefs understand Jones&#39; importance and will get everything figured out. <a href="https://t.co/yO2pJM3MBC">pic.twitter.com/yO2pJM3MBC</a></p>&mdash; CBS Sports Network (@CBSSportsNet) <a href="https://twitter.com/CBSSportsNet/status/1278452884116512768?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 1, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-01-2020 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 15047316)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;Chris Jones is everything to that [Kansas City] defense. He is more important than Honey Badger, more important, big picture, than Tyreek Hill or Travis Kelce.&quot; <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchein?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@AdamSchein</a> believes that the Chiefs understand Jones&#39; importance and will get everything figured out. <a href="https://t.co/yO2pJM3MBC">pic.twitter.com/yO2pJM3MBC</a></p>&mdash; CBS Sports Network (@CBSSportsNet) <a href="https://twitter.com/CBSSportsNet/status/1278452884116512768?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 1, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

WHAT A MORAN!

RealSNR 07-01-2020 09:50 PM

Again, I’m being a homer, but people are writing off the massive leap that Khalen Saunders could see in productivity this year. He’s gonna be a hell of a good player. Maybe not as good as Jones, but still a pretty good starter

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 07-01-2020 10:12 PM

People here seriously undervalue Jones. We don’t win the Super Bowl Without him. He is the ever player on this defense. He makes everything work. He is definitely worth 20 mil a year.

Redbled 07-02-2020 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 15047329)
WHAT A MORAN!

moran
Noun
(plural morans)

An unmarried Maasai or Samburu warrior.

Dude needs to get hitched.

crazycoffey 07-02-2020 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 15047702)
People here seriously undervalue Jones. We don’t win the Super Bowl Without him. He is the ever player on this defense. He makes everything work. He is definitely worth 20 mil a year.

Jones was also great in the playoffs against the Texans and helping come back from being behind 24 points.................................

hometeam 07-02-2020 06:30 AM

Bottom line is we cant keep everyone.

I think that Chris Jones is going to be the first of many going forward.

O.city 07-02-2020 06:33 AM

Jones isn’t gonna sit out

He’ll eventually show up

tmax63 07-02-2020 06:58 AM

Keeping over 20 starters in this screwed up off season where draft picks and newly added players are getting "virtual" reps instead of real practice time sets them up for this fall better than any other team. It takes a lot less time to knock off the rust than to learn a whole new system. If CJ wants to increase his earnings the smart thing is to play his ass off for 16mil this year and bank 22-25mil per next year. A 2nd ring and a great year and he might be the #1 interior DL in people's eyes after next year.

PAChiefsGuy 07-02-2020 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 15047848)
Bottom line is we cant keep everyone.

I think that Chris Jones is going to be the first of many going forward.

Yeah that's just the reality of the Mahomes contract that is coming.

wazu 07-02-2020 07:47 AM

It feels like this will be the biggest “nobody gives a shit” holdout by a franchise tag player ever.

kcjayhawks5 07-02-2020 07:54 AM

I like Chris Jones. I want keep Chris Jones. Hope keep Chris Jones.

Shields68 07-02-2020 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15047850)

He’ll eventually show up

Yeah my understanding is the new CBA makes it difficult for a player to hold out. I think it is more bluster prior to July 15th. Probably some disappointment in that I believe Veech was going to pay him prior to the covid thing now a potential decrease in the cap makes it hard.

But if he plays or does not play on the tag you can still deal him for a pick or two in the off season. Just will be hard to trade him and him getting paid, what he wants, in a year the cap decreases.

kcclone 07-02-2020 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15047850)

He’ll eventually show up

100%. $16m is nothing to sneeze at for a guy who hasn't made a lot in his career.

He'll play. And honestly, I don't blame him one bit for sitting out camp. He has nothing to prove in camp and doesn't need to risk the injury.

Chiefspants 07-02-2020 09:17 AM

I am equally baffled by the overwhelming amount of twitter commenters saying Jones' performance in the Super Bowl was "overrated" as I am by those saying we have to lock up 200m in our defensive line. I remember we talked about the writing on the wall about this situation being there when we traded for Clark. I love Jones. He brings an atypical skillset to the position and has a mentality on that defensive line that comes up clutch when the lights are brightest.

If Andy and the coaching staff aren't willing to pay him 20m/year (his market price), that should tell us something. I think I've grown a bit more accepting of Jones going elsewhere after watching Kollman's breakdowns of Jones' run defense. Jones run D never stopped being a liability through the end of the season. He was often out of position or missed run assignments and had to be bailed out by other players. He came up huge in the playoffs/Super Bowl, no doubt, but it makes me wonder if that's why the Chiefs are more hesitant to make a deal than previously indicated.

If he ends up going elsewhere, I wish him the best. The dude had a straight up legendary performance in the Super Bowl and we don't win a title without him. He should never have to pay for a meal in KC ever again.

RealSNR 07-02-2020 09:37 AM

Quote:

Things that are worth what they cost are nice and all, but that's irrelevant if you can't afford them.

The Chiefs can't afford Jones at $20 million. It ****ing sucks that we're giving Jones' money to Frank ****ing Clark instead, but that's the reality.

(Note: Yes, Frank Clark finally showed up. But right now would you rather keep Frank Clark for the long term or Chris Jones for the long term? I'd much rather keep Jones)

YayMike 07-02-2020 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 15048056)
I am equally baffled by the overwhelming amount of twitter commenters saying Jones' performance in the Super Bowl was "overrated" as I am by those saying we have to lock up 200m in our defensive line. I remember we talked about the writing on the wall about this situation being there when we traded for Clark. I love Jones. He brings an atypical skillset to the position and has a mentality on that defensive line that comes up clutch when the lights are brightest.

If Andy and the coaching staff aren't willing to pay him 20m/year (his market price), that should tell us something. I think I've grown a bit more accepting of Jones going elsewhere after watching Kollman's breakdowns of Jones' run defense. Jones run D never stopped being a liability through the end of the season. He was often out of position or missed run assignments and had to be bailed out by other players. He came up huge in the playoffs/Super Bowl, no doubt, but it makes me wonder if that's why the Chiefs are more hesitant to make a deal than previously indicated.

If he ends up going elsewhere, I wish him the best. The dude had a straight up legendary performance in the Super Bowl and we don't win a title without him. He should never have to pay for a meal in KC ever again.

Perfectly stated!

Demonpenz 07-02-2020 09:44 AM

this is why veach is on the hotseat because of shit like this

Demonpenz 07-02-2020 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcclone (Post 15048007)
100%. $16m is nothing to sneeze at for a guy who hasn't made a lot in his career.

He'll play. And honestly, I don't blame him one bit for sitting out camp. He has nothing to prove in camp and doesn't need to risk the injury.

please wear a mask

FloridaMan88 07-02-2020 09:48 AM

Bottom line is Mahomes gives the Chiefs the luxury/buffer of not needing to be great (and pay for top level talent) at every position.

Chris Jones and probably any non-PMIII player is not worth $20 million/year with this new reality.

Bill Brasky 07-02-2020 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15046993)
Random Vikings fan seems nice. At least he's realistic about compensation. He's not trying to do some stupid Madden bullshit like, "How about a 3rd and a 4th for Jones????"

Would two Minnesota 1st rounders do it for you if we couldn't keep Jones and had to trade him?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RegGo1URLJw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't see any chance we get two firsts. I would take that in a heartbeat.

Let's talk more realistic. How about a first and a third?

Bill Brasky 07-02-2020 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 15047316)

That's the dumbest thing I've read on this board. Hill and Kelce are the cornerstones of the most explosive offense in the NFL.

RunKC 07-02-2020 10:43 AM

Regardless of what happens to Jones, I think we need to focus our efforts on WR and pass rusher.

If we lose out on Chris Jones, I’d like to try to get Taco extended for a fair price. I think that guy is going to get at least 6 sacks this season. Wouldn’t surprise me if he got 10.

Ogbah got a 2 year $15 million deal, so a potential $10 to 12 million AAV for Taco is half of what Jones wants. Could make that work.

RealSNR 07-02-2020 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Brasky (Post 15048191)

I know this guy is just a fan and not a GM, but he's not only open to two 1st round picks for Jones, but he's pounding the table and advocating it.

In the end, I don't think Spielman would go for that, but I think we could see a 1st and a 2nd, perhaps.

Shields68 07-02-2020 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Brasky (Post 15048191)

There is a huge difference in a high first or a low first. Mid to low first is probably what your looking at from Minnesota so you would want at least something close to what we gave up for Clark. (throw in a 2nd or 3rd) Edit- He is under a nonexclusive tag so the Vikings fan might be saying two firsts automatically gets him, if you agree to a contract with Jones and why bother negotiating with the Chiefs.

But that assumes you believe the holdout rumors and that his market will be worse in the off season. I would roll the dice that he plays this year under the tag and deal him before next years draft. Might as well go for the ring.

RunKC 07-02-2020 11:47 AM

I think Veach might be able to make this work.

Obviously offload players like LDT and Okafor.

Push the can down the road by extending Landlord and Kelce and creating money (Justified)

Big key for us is Niang. If he can be a solid replacement for Fisher in 2021, then that would go a long way for us to have $13 million to put towards Chris.

Chiefshrink 07-02-2020 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 15048103)
Bottom line is Mahomes gives the Chiefs the luxury/buffer of not needing to be great (and pay for top level talent) at every position.

Chris Jones and probably any non-PMIII player is not worth $20 million/year with this new reality.

Logic rules.:thumb:

Chiefspants 07-02-2020 01:15 PM

Sorry for this comparison non-royals fans, but Chris Jones has always felt like the Eric Hosmer of the Chiefs 2019-2020 team.

He brings an uncharacteristic skillset to his position and the team and is just, unbelievably clutch in the biggest moments. I mean three knockdowns in the 4th quarter? Two that prevent sure completions to Kittle - one of which would have extended the Niners drive when we were down 20-17 and conceivably could have ended the game for us. Not only that, the Niners were so worried about Jones on passing plays that they triple teamed him and he still managed a knockdown. I mean holy ****. That is legendary stuff right there, just like Eric Hosmer going 0-3 with 3 lazy groundouts before becoming Babe Ruth in the bottom of the 9th inning down 2 runs.

Like Hosmer, Chris Jones struggles at the fundamentals of the position. There are two schools of thought about this. Keysor, for example, believes Jones more than makes up for it with his pass rushing, and that because of the Chiefs high powered offense, this more than makes up for Jones' struggles on running D. Kollmann, OTOH, disagrees, specifically because Jones is such a liability on running defense that other players have to compensate for Jones' weaknesses. This is especially a problem if the Chiefs have so much money locked up in Jones that they can't afford to lock up talent in other positions on the defense. Similar to Hosmer, some have suggested that Jones' strengths won't age well, and that the moment he loses a step his pass rushing will take a major hit, and that his lack of fundamentals on rushing defense would make him a complete liability on defense. We saw this happen with Hosmer the instant he got his new contract, as once his raw talent lost a step he took major steps back at the plate and on defense.

Now, there's always the chance that Jones will continue to be an absolute pass rushing force, and if that's the case, whoever gives him 5/105 money will be in good shape for a long time - but there's always a chance that the cynics will prove to be right (like they were with Hosmer) and that a contract like that will prove to be an albatross quite quickly. Like Hosmer, I'll forever love Jones and what he did to get us a title, but I think I'm going to be supportive of whatever the Chiefs decide to do in this case. Jones even has that Hosmer like swag on the D, getting in Brady's face was the stuff of champions in Foxboro this year, as was him arising at the best possible moment in the SB (and forcing that early INT off of Jimmy G).

Dante84 07-02-2020 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 15048459)
Sorry for this comparison non-royals fans, but Chris Jones has always felt like the Eric Hosmer of the Chiefs 2020 team.

He brings an uncharacteristic skillset to the team and is just, unbelievably clutch in the biggest moments. I mean three knockdowns in the 4th quarter? Two that prevent sure completions to Kittle - one of which would have extended the Niners drive when we were down 20-17 and conceivably could have ended the game for us. Not only that, the Niners were so worried about Jones on passing plays that they triple teamed him and he still managed a knockdown. I mean holy ****. That is legendary stuff right there, just like Eric Hosmer going 0-3 with 3 lazy groundouts before becoming Babe Ruth in the bottom of the 9th inning down 2 runs.

Like Hosmer, Chris Jones struggles at the fundamentals of the position. There are two schools of thought about this. Keysor, for example, believes Jones more than makes up for it with his pass rushing, and that because of the Chiefs high powered offense, this more than makes up for Jones' struggles on running D. Kollmann, OTOH, disagrees, specifically because Jones is such a liability on running defense that other players have to compensate for Jones' weaknesses. This is especially a problem if the Chiefs have so much money locked up in Jones that they can't afford to lock up talent in other positions on the defense. Similar to Hosmer, some have suggested that Jones' strengths won't age well, and that the moment he loses a step his pass rushing will take a major hit, and that his lack of fundamentals on rushing defense would make him a complete liability on defense.

Now, there's always the chance that Jones will continue to be an absolute pass rushing force, and if that's the case, whoever gives him 5/105 money will be in good shape for a long time - but there's always a chance that the cynics will prove to be right (like they were with Hosmer) and that a contract like that will prove to be an albatross quite quickly. Like Hosmer, I'll forever love Jones and what he did to get us a title, but I think I'm going to be supportive of whatever the Chiefs decide to do in this case. Jones even has that Hosmer like swag on the D, getting in Brady's face was the stuff of legends in Foxboro this year, as was him arising at the best possible moment in the SB (and forcing that early INT off of Jimmy G).

Great post. Thanks for that.

The 3 options are:

1. Force him to play on Franchise tag (if he plays), but risk team morale and also have diminished leverage in 2021

2. Trade him while his value will never be higher, but lose a critical star player

3. Sign him to a long-term and deal, but have cap limitations for future years

What's your preference?

Halfcan 07-02-2020 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 15048508)

The 3 options are:

1. Force him to play on Franchise tag (if he plays), but risk team morale and also have diminished leverage in 2021

2. Trade him while his value will never be higher, but lose a critical star player

3. Sign him to a long-term and deal, but have cap limitations for future years

What's your preference?

:clap:

I think the Chiefs make him play on the tag this year.

Chiefspants 07-02-2020 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 15048508)

The 3 options are:

What's your preference?

That’s a tough one, for me it all depends on what’s being offered in return. I honestly think the DeForest Buckner trade kneecapped the Chiefs leverage in multiple ways. I'm guessing the Chiefs would have never sent Jones to an ascending AFC competitor like the Colts for obvious reason (which never made the Colts a viable trading partner) But the move also locked in Jones price at 21m/year (which the Chiefs seem against spending) and it also may have ended the Chiefs hopes of other teams getting into a bidding war for Jones’ services. I worry that the compensation for a trade at this point will be in the Marcus Peters range (2nd and a 4th) rather than in the Buckner range.

If the Chiefs DO get a 1st round offer from an NFC team, I wonder if the Chiefs would take it. For one, it prevents Jones from going to an AFC rival and gives Chiefs some control over where he goes, but if the Chiefs are only getting marginal offers for Jones, I think the Chiefs should go with the tag and maybe offer a 1/22 deal as an olive branch to max out his year compensation. This gives them the option to reassess their cap space after locking up Mahomes and if the NFL adds significantly more room after next season. My biggest fear with this scenario is that it could allow Jones to become the 2020's Neil Smith and go straight to the Raiders or another AFC heavy hitter, and with our weaknesses on the IOL that is straight up nightmare fuel to imagine Jones going after Pat 2-3 times a year. Luckily, we now have the star QB on our roster who can over come taking that type of pressure in high stakes situations, but it's still not a scenario that's fun to think about.

But, if the Chiefs surprise everyone with a 5/105 deal, I won’t be against that either. I have complete faith in the Chiefs FO at this point.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 07-02-2020 02:58 PM

Dominique Foxworth made a great point. With Jones on the field opposing QBs QBR are 32 which is basically Mason Rudolph. With Jones off the field QBs are 64 which is Carson Wentz. He single handedly changes this defense

Dante84 07-02-2020 04:17 PM

Is it possible to restructure the contract so that:

- it's the exact same scenario as the tag and retains the ability to retag next year
- but pays him 21-22million this year?

If so, that could be a win-win. He gets more money immediately, can get to his next contract and still cash in within 1-2 years, and we can double-tag him next year, extend him, or trade him.

GoHuge 07-02-2020 04:48 PM

I'm perfectly fine with him sitting out this year or whatever. I have been against giving him a big money deal from the start. Does he get to the QB and cause havoc in passing situations...yes. Is he absolutely terrible against the run...a much bigger yes. I don't know if he just doesn't like playing against the run, but if you watch him on tape he looks like Lenny from "Of Mice and Men." Just completely lost and never gap sound. Ends up in the backfield as the RB is already past the line of scrimmage. Frank Clark is a complete player. He is as good against the run as he is pressuring the QB. I don't care if we get nothing for him either if it means not signing him long-term. We've seen enough of these big money signings that we should have learned our lesson by now. I like the guy and he is entertaining, we might not have won the Super Bowl without the batted balls in the 4th, but I think we would have still found a way. Just watch the tape and if you disagree with my take on him that's your right, but there is no denying he is a liability against the run. I don't know why I think this about the man, but he just seems like a guy who's performance falls off a cliff once he gets paid. Or maybe I have watched the Chiefs (pre-Veach) make signings that were all disasters. There's the paying Pat factor, but I don't think the Chiefs are seriously considering signing him long-term. Think they are saying one more year and we're done. If CJ wants to pass on $16 million for one year then I am fine with him being a moron. Either way I hope that they don't sign him long-term. No right or wrong opinions on this deal just like there is no obvious correct solution.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 07-02-2020 05:02 PM

FYI Jones has a better run stop rate than Fletcher Cox

Wallcrawler 07-02-2020 06:47 PM

Trade him to the Jets in a deal for Jamal Adams. Adams replacess Sorensen in the box. Speaks/Charlton/Pennel replace Jones.

We came back from down 24 without the guy on the field. Hes a luxury, not a neccessity.

Kiimo 07-02-2020 07:15 PM

We exhausted that argument but most agree. If we could get Adams in a trade I'd do it in a second.

BossChief 07-02-2020 07:19 PM

Here’s the business end of it.

Chiefs re-sign Jones to 5/106 with a 20m signing bonus...and no football is played due to this virus. That’s a real possibility. The first part of any contract is fully guaranteed...then the cap hits gradually go up. We will have lost that advantage.

At the same time, if the salary cap stays flat from this thing...Mahomes comes first. Period.

Can’t sign Chris and chance making negotiations with Mahomes difficult.

Bad timing for Chris. If I’m him, I sign that tender and go to work before they possibly cancel the season and KC pulls the tag.

kccrow 07-02-2020 07:20 PM

Trade him. Should have traded him in the spring.

Pasta Little Brioni 07-02-2020 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 15048637)
Dominique Foxworth made a great point. With Jones on the field opposing QBs QBR are 32 which is basically Mason Rudolph. With Jones off the field QBs are 64 which is Carson Wentz. He single handedly changes this defense

Yet I have to read dumbass Hosmer comparisons

Dante84 07-02-2020 07:54 PM

Why isn’t the cap assigned 2 years in advance?

Serious question.

Chiefspants 07-02-2020 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 15049144)

Love you, PGM :)

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 07-02-2020 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 15049144)

It’s ****ing reeruned!! Jones is the most crucial player on this defense

srvy 07-02-2020 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 15048278)
I think Veach might be able to make this work.

Obviously offload players like LDT and Okafor.

Push the can down the road by extending Landlord and Kelce and creating money (Justified)

Big key for us is Niang. If he can be a solid replacement for Fisher in 2021, then that would go a long way for us to have $13 million to put towards Chris.

Hw will have to convince Clark Mark Donovan and Jones. That's a lot of convincing.

suzzer99 07-03-2020 01:04 AM

Quote:

He was absolute nails on those last few drives in the SB - when we had to have a stop.

I still have Matthieu over Jones though in terms of indispensable value. But Jones over Clark.

Chiefspants 07-03-2020 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 15049387)
It’s ****ing reeruned!! Jones is the most crucial player on this defense

I don’t disagree with his importance and have sung his praises this entire thread, homie. Signing Jones will most likely put us in a “stars and scraps” situation (think I borrowed that phrase from Duncan). Jones may be so important to our front office that they make the signing anyway - but maybe not.

As Chiefs fans, I can’t recall the last time we let go of a player as dominant and as young as Jones. Marcus Peters was great, but his trade made sense, especially if his rumored beef with Patrick was legit.

In the past, our decent QB’s made only decent money, allowing the Chiefs to pretty much keep their talent at other positions. Now that we have the best QB in the NFL, we may have to get used to difficult partings with star players every once in a while.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 07-03-2020 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 15049593)
I don’t disagree with his importance and have sung his praises this entire thread, homie. Signing Jones will most likely put us in a “stars and scraps” situation. Jones may be so important to our front office that they make the signing anyway - but maybe not.

As Chiefs fans, I can’t recall the last time we let go of a player as dominant and as young as Jones. Marcus Peters was great, but his trade made sense, especially if his rumored beef with Patrick was legit.

In the past, our decent QB’s made only decent money, allowing the Chiefs to pretty much keep their talent at other positions. Now that we have the best QB in the NFL, we may have to get used to difficult partings with star players every once in a while.

We could’ve used Watkins money for Jones....

RINGLEADER 07-03-2020 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 15049595)

While I’ve argued that you need to equip Mahomes with all the talent possible, it will indeed suck if Jones isn’t signed because of a layer that won’t be with the team after this season.

It’s a tough situation all around but I think it has less to do with a desire to keep Jones and more to do with Covid uncertainty and getting Mahomes signed long-term.

Direckshun 07-03-2020 05:52 AM

I think it’s increasingly clear they aren’t going to keep Jones.

You don’t offer Andrus Peat $45m this offseason if you have ntendes to keep Jones.

duncan_idaho 07-03-2020 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 15049595)

Nonfactor.

Jones’ cap hit in year 1 of an extension is 99 percent certain to be less than his cap hit on the franchise tag.

One-year moves like Watkins aren’t the issue here. Fitting him into the plans long-term and in 2021 IF the cap drops is the key factor.

Shields68 07-03-2020 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 15049707)
Nonfactor.

Jones’ cap hit in year 1 of an extension is 99 percent certain to be less than his cap hit on the franchise tag.

One-year moves like Watkins aren’t the issue here. Fitting him into the plans long-term and in 2021 IF the cap drops is the key factor.

That and Watkins restructured his contract. He was going to have a cap hit if we cut him. There was not a lot of cap room difference between his restructured deal and the cap hit.

RealSNR 07-03-2020 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 15049648)
I think it’s increasingly clear they aren’t going to keep Jones.

You don’t offer Andrus Peat $45m this offseason if you have ntendes to keep Jones.

Wait, we were trying to acquire Andrus Peat? Not doubting it, but it's just the first I've heard of it.

penguinz 07-03-2020 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15049991)
Wait, we were trying to acquire Andrus Peat? Not doubting it, but it's just the first I've heard of it.

Yep, Saints outbid to keep him.

RunKC 07-03-2020 01:19 PM

Pretty telling that per that report Veach and co never saw Jones as a $20 million player and did not ask for it. Just seems like they are so far apart here that neither want a deal at this point, which syncs up with the “they aren’t even discussing this deal” report.

As much as I think we can keep him, it’s hard to think Jones will be here long term.

I will say that Veach was absolutely right to pay Frank Clark last year, even with Chris wanting a deal. If this is a choice we have to make between Frank and Chris, then I think the right move was made to pay Frank.

RealSNR 07-03-2020 02:51 PM

Do you think Jones would be satisfied with only like a 2-year extension as long as the numbers were close to averaging out at $20 million/yr? That at least buys the Chiefs some time when the actual big money of Mahomes' new deal is really going to take effect (we still have the 4th year and the 5th year option to play out). At that point if we want Jones to continue being the focal point, we can do the shift arounds. Bad deals like the Hitchens and LDT contracts will be over and done with. We'll finally be done giving money to Eric Berry. Watkins will be gone. And as we're figuring out our future extensions, we may decide we can still keep Jones, or we might be satisfied enough with the other interior DL. Right now we're quite deep at that spot, but a lot can change in that time.

Also, we've been kind of lean on the draft picks the past couple years (in terms of numbers of players we're drafting). As we let go of players, we're going to get more picks to replace them. We have options.

Just thinking out loud. Not saying that's the answer, but it could be a place to start. It would show some greater faith on the organization's part towards Jones, and he'd get what he deserves.

TEX 07-03-2020 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15050296)
Do you think Jones would be satisfied with only like a 2-year extension as long as the numbers were close to averaging out at $20 million/yr? That at least buys the Chiefs some time when the actual big money of Mahomes' new deal is really going to take effect (we still have the 4th year and the 5th year option to play out). At that point if we want Jones to continue being the focal point, we can do the shift arounds. Bad deals like the Hitchens and LDT contracts will be over and done with. We'll finally be done giving money to Eric Berry. Watkins will be gone. And as we're figuring out our future extensions, we may decide we can still keep Jones, or we might be satisfied enough with the other interior DL. Right now we're quite deep at that spot, but a lot can change in that time.

Also, we've been kind of lean on the draft picks the past couple years (in terms of numbers of players we're drafting). As we let go of players, we're going to get more picks to replace them. We have options.

Just thinking out loud. Not saying that's the answer, but it could be a place to start. It would show some greater faith on the organization's part towards Jones, and he'd get what he deserves.

I think you raised an excellent point. I was thinking about that when all this went down. He counts $16M now - KC can find another $4M for the upcoming season. Can also make it work for the next one. Watkins? LDT? Dan? Etc.. The $$$ would virtually be all guaranteed...After that, then decisions will need to be made. So, he can have his $20M per NOW and 2021, but someone else may be paying it year 3. Chris will still be young at 28 so he just may be willing to do it b/c he will be young enough to warrant another big contract. This may very well be the way deals more readily go in the future.

BossChief 07-03-2020 05:24 PM

Jones did a telling interview with Colon Cowherd (iirc it was him) before the new CBA was signed talking about his contract situation and the CBA where he made a couple comments that I think we’re telling.

1) Colin asked him if the owners came to the players with a fair deal, would he agree to it and Chris went into talking about other things that would need addressed before he would agree to it. That interview changed my perception of him a bit. It made him seem unreasonable and not willing to take a fair deal.

2) He talked about Veach and his conversation being around “who the team can let walk and who they can’t (in terms of depth)” and it made me think of Veaches choices since he became GM. Drafting Nnadi and Saunders with significant picks.

DaneMcCloud 07-03-2020 05:58 PM

If it wasn't for that complete freak of nature, Aaron Donald, Chris Jones would be viewed as the best interior lineman in the NFL and his numbers back that up.

There is also absolutely no doubt that Jones has earned a $20 million dollar per year contract because he's a game changer who's relentless and a force of nature when healthy.

If I was Jones or his agent, I'd advise him to holdout, too, and there's no way I'd play on the Franchise Tag, either. What if he's injured or tears an ACL mid-season? There's no way a team would offer him a $100 million dollar deal coming off of injury, while missing prime years.

With all of the uncertainty about this season and without new TV contracts in place, I don't think that any team can compete for a Super Bowl title when they're paying three players in excess of $20 million per year.

Had COVID not wrecked this year for sports, maybe the NFL's new TV contracts would have allowed the Chiefs to sign Jones to the type of contract he's earned but with so much uncertainty, not only in 2020 but for future years as well, I believe the best course of action for both parties is a sign and trade deal.

It's an unfortunate reality but I think it's more likely than not that he'll be on another roster once the season begins.

BossChief 07-03-2020 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 15049160)

Serious question.

Because it’s based on income.
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15050611)
If it wasn't for that complete freak of nature, Aaron Donald, Chris Jones would be viewed as the best interior lineman in the NFL and his numbers back that up.

There is also absolutely no doubt that Jones has earned a $20 million dollar per year contract because he's a game changer who's relentless and a force of nature when healthy.

If I was Jones or his agent, I'd advise him to holdout, too, and there's no way I'd play on the Franchise Tag, either. What if he's injured or tears an ACL mid-season? There's no way a team would offer him a $100 million dollar deal coming off of injury, while missing prime years.

With all of the uncertainty about this season and without new TV contracts in place, I don't think that any team can compete for a Super Bowl title when they're paying three players in excess of $20 million per year.

Had COVID not wrecked this year for sports, maybe the NFL's new TV contracts would have allowed the Chiefs to sign Jones to the type of contract he's earned but with so much uncertainty, not only in 2020 but for future years as well, I believe the best course of action for both parties is a sign and trade deal.

It's an unfortunate reality but I think it's more likely than not that he'll be on another roster once the season begins.

Exactly.

DaneMcCloud 07-03-2020 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 15049160)

Serious question.

The salary cap changes each and every year due to new deals made by the NFL, whether it's licensing, advertising, additional corporate sponsors or changes to their broadcasting deals.

In 2018, Fox began broadcasting games on Thursday nights, something that wasn't in affect in prior years. Amazon began broadcasting Thursday night games as well on Prime, while the NFL made changes to the playoff schedule to allow more games to be seen in Prime Time, which increases their rates while the networks can charge more for advertising as well.

If there's a season this year, there's no doubt that the NFL's revenues will slip due to empty stadiums. While some predict it could be as much as $100 million in total revenues to per team, others say it could be less.

The bottom line is that the NFL's revenues are always changing and while they've never actually decreased, that could happen in 2020, which is just another reason why it's basically impossible for them to set a Salary Cap number years in advance when the cap itself is based on expected total revenue.

JakeF 07-04-2020 01:02 AM

Quote:

"Chris Jones is everything to that [Kansas City] defense. He is more important than Honey Badger, more important, big picture, than Tyreek Hill or Travis Kelce."

@AdamSchein believes that the Chiefs understand Jones' importance and will get everything figured out.
Total bullshit, even Mathieu is more important than Jones. If Clark stays healthy he should show a better game too.

We should have traded Jones for draft picks in the 2020 draft. A couple of 1st round picks this year would have been handy.

Dante84 07-04-2020 01:42 AM

I get how it’s currently set up. What I want to know is why they can’t push the cap adjustments out just one year and recognize the lift/decrease the following year?

Having the next years cap number in hand while negotiating the majority of your contracts would seem to be very helpful. Plus, the owners get to keep the dollars an extra year.

RunKC 07-04-2020 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15050611)

Per Garafalo the Chiefs don’t and apparently have never viewed him as a $20 million asset. That’s the big question.

Garafalo was obviously told that from KC. He’s got no reason to make that up, rifht?

If true, I wonder why that is? It’s been well documented that Chris Jones is not great on first down, so it leads me to believe that they might think Chris is not complete player.
The other elephant in the room is availability. Chris was injured in 2017 and 2018 playoff games, so Chris being unavailable in the playoffs for a 3rd straight season might have really supported their decision, especially if it was due to a basketball locker room incident (not sure I buy that).

I agree with you that it seems like Chris Jones is not going to be here long term. I think that if that report is true that they don’t view him like he views himself, the ideal situation is keeping him on the tag this year and then trading him for assets to use in the draft next spring.

Redbled 07-04-2020 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 15051474)
Per Garafalo the Chiefs don’t and apparently have never viewed him as a $20 million asset. That’s the big question.

Garafalo was obviously told that from KC. He’s got no reason to make that up, rifht?

If true, I wonder why that is? It’s been well documented that Chris Jones is not great on first down, so it leads me to believe that they might think Chris is not complete player.
The other elephant in the room is availability. Chris was injured in 2017 and 2018 playoff games, so Chris being unavailable in the playoffs for a 3rd straight season might have really supported their decision, especially if it was due to a basketball locker room incident (not sure I buy that).

I agree with you that it seems like Chris Jones is not going to be here long term. I think that if that report is true that they don’t view him like he views himself, the ideal situation is keeping him on the tag this year and then trading him for assets to use in the draft next spring.

Does anyone believe he’s worth Donald money? He’s great sure but not a game by game wrecker.

TomBarndtsTwin 07-04-2020 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redbled (Post 15051720)
Does anyone believe he’s worth Donald money? He’s great sure but not a game by game wrecker.

No, he’s not.

I like Jones and wish he could remain a Chief, but at the price he’s asking? No thanks.

For all his greatness in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl, he was largely invisible (or not playing) in every other playoff game of his Chiefs career. You don’t pay Aaron Donald money for someone like that. No matter how thankful you may be to them for helping you win your first Super Bowl in 50 years.

You thank them, wish them the best, and move right the **** along.

RealSNR 07-04-2020 02:01 PM

I entertained trading Jones for the right price early in the offseason, and I'm open to that now, but come on, people. Chris Jones is a more valuable cog to this defense than Frank ****ing Clark.

Frank Clark is a DE. Chris Jones plays primarily on the interior, but he's demonstrated he can play a 5-technique and still get 15 sacks! You can play him anywhere. Getting INTERIOR pressure is worth its weight in gold. You need pressure from the ends, yes, that's not to minimize the important role that Clark plays, but when you do what Jones is able to do, and you ask, "Which one is better to have on your defense?" the answer is CLEARLY Chris Jones.

We could probably be fine without Jones, but that's only because Nnadi, Pennel, and Saunders are pretty good as an interior trio. We could lose Clark, and yeah, we'd be screwed at DE, but we'd still be able to get pressure with Jones.

That's the difference between the two.

keg in kc 07-04-2020 02:06 PM

I'm not sure that's necessarily true, Jones being more valuable than Clark. At least not at a time where Jones still struggles to play within the designed structure of the defense and freelances himself out of plays multiple times a game. Which is not to diminish how special a player he is in terms of pure ability, just that he can giveth and he can taketh away, so to speak, often from one play to the next.

BryanBusby 07-04-2020 02:09 PM

I think if CJ wants an avg of 20, you find a way to make it work and just backfill the contract.

I'd venture he wants to be paid more than AD to reset the market and wants a large chunk of guaranteed $$$$$ early on and that's what's going to keep a contract from getting done.

R Clark 07-04-2020 02:35 PM

[QUOTE=RealSNR;15051742]I entertained trading Jones for the right price early in the offseason, and I'm open to that now, but come on, people. Chris Jones is a more valuable cog to this defense than Frank ****ing Clark.

Frank Clark is a DE. Chris Jones plays primarily on the interior, but he's demonstrated he can play a 5-technique and still get 15 sacks! You can play him anywhere. Getting INTERIOR pressure is worth its weight in gold. You need pressure from the ends, yes, that's not to minimize the important role that Clark plays, but when you do what Jones is able to do, and you ask, "Which one is better to have on your defense?" the answer is CLEARLY Chris Jones.

We could probably be fine without Jones, but that's only because Nnadi, Pennel, and Saunders are pretty good as an interior trio. We could lose Clark, and yeah, we'd be screwed at DE, but we'd still be able to get pressure with Jones.

That's the difference between the two.[ I’d take clark anytime over Jones, but I’d love to have them both.