ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs and Chris Jones working towards a long term deal. . (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=330348)

duncan_idaho 04-13-2020 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 14903053)
16 mil but he needs financial security. Gawd athletes live in another universe compared to ordinary people.

They do. And you know who lives in another universe compared to them?

Owners.

I will never understand people complaining about the millionaires, when the alternative is billionaires pocketing more money.

Modern sports revenue isn't even driven by gate receipts and concessions, like it was in days in the past. Especially in the NFL, it is about TV and ad money. So it's not like paying Chris Jones - or anyone - is taking money out of fans' pockets. You pay for it by watching the games live and viewing commercials.

Dunerdr 04-13-2020 07:30 AM

Jones will be traded for a single first round pick 29 hours prior to the draft, mark it down.

Mecca 04-13-2020 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 14903435)
They do. And you know who lives in another universe compared to them?

Owners.

I will never understand people complaining about the millionaires, when the alternative is billionaires pocketing more money.

Modern sports revenue isn't even driven by gate receipts and concessions, like it was in days in the past. Especially in the NFL, it is about TV and ad money. So it's not like paying Chris Jones - or anyone - is taking money out of fans' pockets. You pay for it by watching the games live and viewing commercials.

No matter how many times this is said, there are people who will never get it. It mainly comes down to the average fan doesn't see themselves comparable to an owner, they compare them to the rich guy that owns their company, they think the players are employees just like them and then they get super jealous...and here we are.

TomBarndtsTwin 04-13-2020 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 14903436)
Jones will be traded for a single first round pick 29 hours prior to the draft, mark it down.

Yeah, I'm kind of leaning towards it coming down to this as well at this point.

I DO think the Chiefs WANT to keep him long term, but I think Jones and his agent are asking for too much money and they're not willing to tie up another $20 mil. + per year in another D-Linemen.

I think it will happen around 48 hours before the draft and the Chiefs will either get a late first or an early second with another pick packaged with that.

We'll see, I guess . . . . . . .

Chris Meck 04-13-2020 07:55 AM

I think for teams with holes they really need to fill, the draft picks are a bigger risk this year than others.

I think if anything, this makes a sure bet impact player is more valuable, not less.

IF we're going to move Jones, I expect the compensation will be high.

2bikemike 04-13-2020 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle DeLexus (Post 14903321)
You know how much insurance cost on a Ferrari?

Do you know how much personal property tax is on a Ferrari?

KChiefs1 04-13-2020 11:02 AM

Quote:

It will take more than that.

bowener 04-13-2020 11:08 AM

Quote:

If true it needs to be pick 8 or lower.

bowener 04-13-2020 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 14903053)
16 mil but he needs financial security. Gawd athletes live in another universe compared to ordinary people.

When you ask for a raise at work do you request that it only be a cost of living adjustment or do you ask for what you believe you are actually worth? You may not make millions per year, but he is doing the exact thing all of us do. I'm currently underpaid and it pisses me off. I did our small company a favor and it has bitten me in the ass majorly. You better believe I'm going to ask to be paid in line with the rest of my industry.

KChiefs1 04-13-2020 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 14903955)
When you ask for a raise at work do you request that it only be a cost of living adjustment or do you ask for what you believe you are actually worth? You may not make millions per year, but he is doing the exact thing all of us do. I'm currently underpaid and it pisses me off. I did our small company a favor and it has bitten me in the ass majorly. You better believe I'm going to ask to be paid in line with the rest of my industry.

I always took what was offered & felt great to get anything.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 04-13-2020 11:20 AM

Quote:

+ a player. May not be anyone most could name

dlphg9 04-13-2020 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 14903962)
I always took what was offered & felt great to get anything.

Beta puss. You need Prison Bitch to train you in all things alpha.

Dunerdr 04-13-2020 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrtonsPiercedTaint (Post 14903981)
+ a player. May not be anyone most could name

Most of you said the Chiefs over payed for Frank Clark, but want more for Jones in the more ****ed up offseason on record?

teedubya 04-13-2020 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin (Post 14884385)
:clap: Well said.

Good post, noob.

You too, noob.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 04-13-2020 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 14903989)
Most of you said the Chiefs over payed for Frank Clark, but want more for Jones in the more ****ed up offseason on record?

I just thought it sounded like Veach's MO

Chief Northman 04-13-2020 11:49 AM

I highly doubt any team will trade for Jones.

Only a handful of teams have the realistic ammo in terms of picks and capspace, and he is not a scheme fit for the 3-4 teams.

I expect Jones to be extended by KC before the draft to free up space to be able to sign the draft class.

ThaVirus 04-13-2020 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Northman (Post 14904044)
I highly doubt any team will trade for Jones... he is not a scheme fit for the 3-4 teams.

Why not? He just had nearly 16 sacks in the 3-4.

duncan_idaho 04-13-2020 12:17 PM

Quote:

Only a handful of teams have the realistic ammo in terms of picks and capspace, and he is not a scheme fit for the 3-4 teams.

I expect Jones to be extended by KC before the draft to free up space to be able to sign the draft class.

He's a perfect scheme fit for 34 teams. Just as good, if not better, than a 43 undertackle.

OKchiefs 04-13-2020 12:22 PM

Quote:

He spent his first 3 years in the 3-4, was drafted into the 3-4, and you think he's not a scheme fit?

TomBarndtsTwin 04-13-2020 12:38 PM

I think a guy like Chris Jones can fit into ANY defensive scheme.

He’s produced in the 4-3 and the 3-4 just fine.

Chief Northman 04-13-2020 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKchiefs (Post 14904155)
He spent his first 3 years in the 3-4, was drafted into the 3-4, and you think he's not a scheme fit?

I think Brendan Daly is the best thing to ever happen to Chris Jones. He’s going to make him a more complete player. I’ll trade the few extra gaudy sack stats he attained under Sutton for the ability to keep him on the field every down and be a dependable run stopper. He wasn’t perfect, but improved a ton being able to play between disciplined edge setters this past year. Don’t get me wrong - Jones is elite - that’s why I want him to remain in KC, but I doubt teams are lining up with huge offers to attain him given both the potential financial and compensation costs.

Dunerdr 04-13-2020 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Northman (Post 14904210)
I think Brendan Daly is the best thing to ever happen to Chris Jones. He’s going to make him a more complete player. I’ll trade the few extra gaudy sack stats he attained under Sutton for the ability to keep him on the field every down and be a dependable run stopper. He wasn’t perfect, but improved a ton being able to play between disciplined edge setters this past year. Don’t get me wrong - Jones is elite - that’s why I want him to remain in KC, but I doubt teams are lining up with huge offers to attain him given both the potential financial and compensation costs.

What if, and follow me here. It had nothing to do with 3-4 or 4-3, but more to do with Bob Sutton and him just not getting the most out of some players?

SAUTO 04-13-2020 01:13 PM

DeForest Buckner went to the Colts for number 13 and got a contract but Jones will only bring a 2? GTFO of here with that bull shit

Chief Northman 04-13-2020 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 14904290)
DeForest Buckner went to the Colts for number 13 and got a contract but Jones will only bring a 2? GTFO of here with that bull shit

Not sure who you are targeting here - I’ve never suggested as such. If I’m Brett Veach, my ask for Jones is astronomical, and rightly so. I just don’t see many teams in a position to pay the compensation price plus take on the salary he will command on a long-term deal. I have always advocated for the Chiefs to re-sign Jones to an extension because everybody knows what he is in Kansas City, and that is one of the best players in the NFL.

duncan_idaho 04-13-2020 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Northman (Post 14904210)

The Colts set the market for him. They gave up #13 overall in a loaded draft and then gave a huge contract to a slightly lesser player.

Teams that want him should be coming with huge offers. They probably won't find someone desperate enough in the NFC to add interior rush presence to pay quite that price, but someone willing to send a late first and another pick or two, depending on their location, is a reasonable expectation.

If the Chiefs really are listening on Jones, the Seahawks and Bucs are teams that seem like logical trade partners. Ditto on any other contender or wannabe contender that has the cap room (Minnesota? Lions? shit, even teams in other divisions of the AFC like the Browns or Dolphins could be fits).

Because the draft is so wild, we might see teams a little more willing to move a pick for proven producers, especially ones who are elite and just now getting to deal #2.

But I think it's all moot. The Chiefs are going to find a way to extend him.

SAUTO 04-13-2020 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefpat49 (Post 14900344)
Heard Teicher on the radio today with Petro, says chiefs have no leverage with Jones and the NFL teams knows it, he thinks they will have to settle for about what they got for Dee Ford, if he is traded, so that would be a late 2nd in 2021.

I would be pissed if that is all we got. I have never been against trading Jones as long as the compensation was fair, but if it comes down to paying him $100 mill and not being able to operate in free agency the next year or two or giving him away, I would rather keep him.

This is who I was targeting with my post. And anyone else saying we would or should only get a 2.