ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV New Star Wars TV & Film Repository (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=314310)

Bowser 05-21-2021 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 15682245)
I think I read a day or two ago that Filoni is now head creative director for Lucasfilm

As he should be, really

DaneMcCloud 05-21-2021 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 15682245)
I think I read a day or two ago that Filoni is now head creative director for Lucasfilm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 15682403)
As he should be, really

He was promoted early last summer to Executive Creative Director but for some reason, the "news" just got out to the public in the past couple of days.

DaneMcCloud 05-21-2021 02:42 PM

My concern with all of these new Star Wars TV series is that they're trying too hard to compete with Marvel in terms of volume and I'm just not sure there are many stories left to tell.

I watched the sequel trilogy this week while on the treadmill and while I don't absolutely love it, it makes more sense now with The Mandalorian, Bad Batch and the Marvel Darth Vader comics. The story behind Palpatine's clones is shaping up on The Bad Batch and The Mando while the comics have already shown Palpatine's contingency plan, with the Sith beginning to create the Final Order Fleet just shortly after he declared himself Emperor.

It just feels to me that if they're going to move forward with Star Wars, the next movies and TV series should be set in a completely different era, whether that's the past or the future. To me, it's just getting to the point where I don't need absolutely everything filled in and explained anymore. We know how the Empire began and ended, we know how the First Order began and ended, and we the know the fate of Han, Luke, Leia, Yoda, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Padme and Palpatine.

How much more do we need to know? What interesting stories are left to tell at this point? It just feels to me as if it's time to move on to another era.

eDave 05-27-2021 08:27 AM

J.J. Abrams acknowledges it probably would have been better if they had approached the Star Wars sequel trilogy with a plan.

https://collider.com/jj-abrams-star-...plan-comments/

Bowser 05-27-2021 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 15688069)
J.J. Abrams acknowledges it probably would have been better if they had approached the Star Wars sequel trilogy with a plan.

Quote:

Abrams – co-writing the script with Lawrence Kasdan after Michael Arndt wrote the initial drafts – pulled it off, not only providing a satisfying conclusion to Han Solo’s arc, but also making the world fall in love with Rey, Finn, Poe, BB-8, etc.
https://media1.tenor.com/images/ddd4...temid=11156171

And in all honesty, it was Kathleen Kennedy's vision and insistence that ruined the Disney trilogy. It was a monetary win and Disney made money on it, sure, but there's just no getting around what KK was doing with the Star Wars universe.

DaneMcCloud 05-27-2021 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 15688138)
And in all honesty, it was Kathleen Kennedy's vision and insistence that ruined the Disney trilogy. It was a monetary win and Disney made money on it, sure, but there's just no getting around what KK was doing with the Star Wars universe.

The biggest mistake was not creating a solid backstory for the 30 years prior to the sequel trilogy. We're starting to see some of that now with The Mandalorian and the upcoming Book of Boba Fett and probably Ahsoka. The Bad Batch and The Mandalorian are also, slowly but surely, revealing The Emperor's cloning plans (and in the new Darth Vader Marvel comic, we're seeing the beginnings of the creation of the Sith Fleet seen in RoS). But it's just too late to undo the the events of the sequel trilogy and we all know how it ends.

Had the decision been made to begin telling stories 5 years after Endor, the story would have grown organically and may have led the writers to a different place altogether. And while the Emperor may have returned and Luke may have questioned his role or duty in training future Jedi, we would have seen that in real time, not in a fast forward.

Now, there's just no way to undo the sequel trilogy, although I think JJ did about as well as humanly possible, given the events of The Last Jedi. Luke admitted his mistake, helped Rey defeat Palpatine while Ben Solo reconciled with Han Solo and Rey ultimately became a Skywalker.

It seems to me that they're at least building up the backstory of how The Emperor survived the destruction of the Death Star 2 and we're seeing the cloning operation first hand in The Bad Batch and in The Mandalorian but it's much harder to make a story "fit" within certain parameters than it is to allow the story to guide the writers to a more logical place.

The bottom line is that absolutely everything should have been planned out and in place for at least 30 years in the future, if not 50, before producing a movie set 30 years in the future without a backstory. It's freaking Screenwriting 101!

Frazod 05-27-2021 07:24 PM

Quote:

https://y.yarn.co/20f48218-fa36-46ca...e3908_text.gif

Ruined Star Wars.

Ruined Star Trek.

Yeah, it's official. I hate him as much as Lynch. 4321

eDave 05-27-2021 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15688796)

Ruined Star Wars.

Ruined Star Trek.

Jar Jar Abrams.

Sure-Oz 05-27-2021 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15688796)

Ruined Star Wars.

Ruined Star Trek.

Pretty sure Disney ****ed up too trying to roll this shit out fast with nostalgia and SW fans and everyone just eat it up. Damn cash grab on this trilogy. Will never watch it again just like those prequels. I love the animated filoni series and mando so far...just give me quality please. Stop going to see shitty SW movies....I want great story telling.

Let Fauvre and Filoni eat.

Hammock Parties 06-04-2021 07:52 AM

Finally watched episode 1 of the bad batch.

Wow! Just an amazing job of expanding on the post episode III lore. Super super interesting. Filoni needs his own movie very soon.

DaneMcCloud 06-04-2021 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 15696417)
Finally watched episode 1 of the bad batch.

Wow! Just an amazing job of expanding on the post episode III lore. Super super interesting. Filoni needs his own movie very soon.

I haven't watched today's episode but I've seen the first five episodes and I have to say, I find it to be terribly disappointing.

It's not even close to Filoni's best work, which shouldn't be surprising because he isn't writing and directing every episode . He's taken on more of a producing role, much like the failed Resistance animated series.

I'll continue to watch, mainly because there's very little new content available these days, but my kids were bored after the first episode, so I have very little incentive to continue watching because there's just nothing of any importance or significance happening so far.

keg in kc 06-04-2021 04:43 PM

With the exception of the series finale episode, I like the Bad Batch so far much more than I did the final Clone Wars season.

DaneMcCloud 06-04-2021 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 15697139)
With the exception of the series finale episode, I like the Bad Batch so far much more than I did the final Clone Wars season.

Yeah, I found that to be disappointing as well, outside of the final two episodes.

I just don't think there's any reason for The Bad Batch to exist at this point in time. Do I really need to know how the Rancor ended up in Jabba's Palace or that Fennec Shand was a bounty hunter 30 years before The Mandalorian?

IMO, they're approaching the "we're doing it because we can" and not because it's important in the overall Star Wars Galaxy. Hopefully, that changes but my expectations are very low.

Fish 06-04-2021 06:30 PM

It's just OK. Haven't seen today's episode yet though. Not really wild about the Omega plotline thus far.

DaneMcCloud 06-05-2021 01:16 PM

After last night’s episode, I’m out. It’s simply not even worth 22 minutes of my time.

I’ll monitor this thread, just in case anything of significance happens but to me, it is by far the worst TV series produced by Lucasfilm because there is absolutely no point to this series (and, to top it off, the music is god awful. It’s Kevin Kiner’s kids scoring the show and it sounds like it).

Frazod 06-05-2021 02:25 PM

I started watching the first episode, then got tired and went to bed (kind of a warning sign when it couldn't hold my interest). Never picked it up again. And I think I won't bother with it now.

DaneMcCloud 06-05-2021 02:47 PM

It's not produced by Dave Filoni, either. He's the Executive Producer, which is basically a hands-off consulting role.

The first episode was co-written by Filoni but every other episode has been directed and written by other writers. There have been seven different writers and 5 different directors for the initial six episodes.

I haven't heard anything about the ratings, which is never a good sign, because all of the streamers love to boast about their ratings when they're high.

Unless the series does a 180 and introduces Vader, The Emperor and/or The Inquisitors, I'll be surprised if it gets another season.

DaneMcCloud 06-07-2021 03:21 PM

I recently re-watched the entire Star Wars film saga and came away a revelation or two.

First off, how was Vader's Imperial Star Destroyer able to instantly follow Tantive IV from Scarif to Tatooine? Hyperspace tracking wasn't "a thing" at that time and I don't recall seeing anyone plant a homing beacon the Rebel ship.

And secondly, man, the backlash to The Last Jedi really killed a great movie in Solo. I hadn't watched it in a few years but after seeing it this past weekend, wow, is it a great Star Wars film! The acting, direction, VFX and cast were perfect, IMO, even Alden Ehrenreich. Sure, he's not Harrison Ford but he does a really, really great job with a really difficult role.

The only aspect of Solo that doesn't meet expectations is the score. The first ten minutes, which were composed and conducted by John Williams, is fine. But John Powell's score is weak at best and some of the choices made by the director and editors weren't good, IMO, specifically, the use of Han's Theme in the asteroid field in The Empire Strikes Back. That music fit the scene in Empire perfectly but now, that's ruined because they repurposed the music while Han was making the Kessel Run.

Otherwise, I think it's the second best of the new movies, just a hair behind Rogue One although R.O. isn't nearly as "fun" as Solo. As most people know, there's a Lando series in development right now but I've heard some whispers about brining back A.E. for a Solo series as well. I would love to see the seedy underworld under the Empire's control and a Solo series would kill it, IMO.

Hammock Parties 06-07-2021 03:25 PM

If you listen to the Star Wars radio drama they seem to think there was a spy on board the Tantive IV.

Agreed on Solo. Nothing wrong with that movie.

Bowser 06-07-2021 03:30 PM

To your first question - when Jyn and Cassian are in the vault on Scarif and going through the files looking for "Stardust", she mentions hyperspace tracking as one of the files. That's playing it loose and fast, but I "think" it's enough to allow Vader to catch up with Leia above Tatooine.

As far as Solo - completely agree. KK and RJ not only ****ed up THEIR movie (and the one JJ had to try and salvage), but also the Solo movie. How do you kill the Star Wars Golden Goose? Didn't think it was possible until those two showed up.

I sincerely hope they find a way to give us a Solo sequel or a series. Solo on rewatch is much, much better, and Alden really does do a fine job as a young Han.

DaneMcCloud 06-07-2021 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 15700375)
If you listen to the Star Wars radio drama they seem to think there was a spy on board the Tantive IV.

Ahh, well that makes some sense. It's just kind of weird how they found the plans for Hyperspace tracking moments before Vader's Destroyer immediately found the Tantive IV.

And the idea of a tracker is becoming an overused plot device in Star Wars. We can block advertising on the web and find viruses in our computers while our cars can almost drive themselves but people capable of creating starships that are faster than lightspeed can't detect a tracker on its hull?

Between those issues and Obi Wan's outright lies about R2D2, C3PO and Anakin really messed everything up, IMO. Then, add the fact that Owen Lars doesn't instantly recognize C3PO, when he was their droid for at least 10 years, which is extremely odd as well.

I'll be curious to see how many changes are made to the OT once Andor and the Obi Wan series air.

Frazod 06-07-2021 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15700371)
I recently re-watched the entire Star Wars film saga and came away a revelation or two.

First off, how was Vader's Imperial Star Destroyer able to instantly follow Tantive IV from Scarif to Tatooine? Hyperspace tracking wasn't "a thing" at that time and I don't recall seeing anyone plant a homing beacon the Rebel ship.

And secondly, man, the backlash to The Last Jedi really killed a great movie in Solo. I hadn't watched it in a few years but after seeing it this past weekend, wow, is it a great Star Wars film! The acting, direction, VFX and cast were perfect, IMO, even Alden Ehrenreich. Sure, he's not Harrison Ford but he does a really, really great job with a really difficult role.

The only aspect of Solo that doesn't meet expectations is the score. The first ten minutes, which were composed and conducted by John Williams, is fine. But John Powell's score is weak at best and some of the choices made by the director and editors weren't good, IMO, specifically, the use of Han's Theme in the asteroid field in The Empire Strikes Back. That music fit the scene in Empire perfectly but now, that's ruined because they repurposed the music while Han was making the Kessel Run.

Otherwise, I think it's the second best of the new movies, just a hair behind Rogue One although R.O. isn't nearly as "fun" as Solo. As most people know, there's a Lando series in development right now but I've heard some whispers about brining back A.E. for a Solo series as well. I would love to see the seedy underworld under the Empire's control and a Solo series would kill it, IMO.

As I've said before, Solo is really the only Star Wars movie that captures the fun, swashbuckling feel of the original. I loved it. Outside of the original three, the only ones I'll ever bother to watch again are Solo and Rogue One.

Jamie 06-07-2021 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15700383)
Between those issues and Obi Wan's outright lies about R2D2, C3PO and Anakin really messed everything up, IMO. Then, add the fact that Owen Lars doesn't instantly recognize C3PO, when he was their droid for at least 10 years, which is extremely odd as well.

I'll be curious to see how many changes are made to the OT once Andor and the Obi Wan series air.

The end of ROTS always bothered me, it makes no sense but everybody accepted it because it moved all the pieces to place for ANH.

They act like it's a plan, but the plan is like, let's hide Luke on Anakin's home planet, living with Anakin's family, and make no attempt to conceal his identity. No attempt will be made to train Luke or Leia in the force. Obi-Wan and Yoda will go into hiding for no apparent reason. And we'll all just wait around for something to happen. To me, Owen not recognizing C3PO is one of the easier things to explain away, since protocol droids look the same.

I assume the Obi-Wan series will fix and/or explain some of it, but still. George really should have thought this stuff out when he started working on the prequels.

BigRedChief 06-08-2021 08:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15688267)
The bottom line is that absolutely everything should have been planned out and in place for at least 30 years in the future, if not 50, before producing a movie set 30 years in the future without a backstory. It's freaking Screenwriting 101!

We saw this arrogance in GOT season 8 too. We have a huge built in audience, going to make a huge pile of money guaranteed, why give our best effort? We don't have to get all the details of the story arc ironed out before filming.

Complete lack of respect for the fans and their passion for the story and the characters.

Frazod 06-08-2021 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 15700957)
We saw this arrogance in GOT season 8 too. We have a huge built in audience, going to make a huge pile of money guaranteed, why give our best effort? We don't have to get all the details of the story arc ironed out before filming.

Complete lack of respect for the fans and their passion for the story and the characters.

At least those GoT ****ers are paying the price for it. They're so toxic now I doubt if they could get a gig producing an infomercial.

I don't know how Jar Jar Abrams still gets work. I wouldn't let that one who sucks the penis wash my car.

Buehler445 06-09-2021 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 15700480)
The end of ROTS always bothered me, it makes no sense but everybody accepted it because it moved all the pieces to place for ANH.

They act like it's a plan, but the plan is like, let's hide Luke on Anakin's home planet, living with Anakin's family, and make no attempt to conceal his identity. No attempt will be made to train Luke or Leia in the force. Obi-Wan and Yoda will go into hiding for no apparent reason. And we'll all just wait around for something to happen. To me, Owen not recognizing C3PO is one of the easier things to explain away, since protocol droids look the same.

I assume the Obi-Wan series will fix and/or explain some of it, but still. George really should have thought this stuff out when he started working on the prequels.

Life was different in the 90s. Internet didn’t exist to have these kinds of discussions.

Quote:

Hilariously D&D ****ed off GOT to go do....Star Wars.

eDave 06-10-2021 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15700383)
Ahh, well that makes some sense. It's just kind of weird how they found the plans for Hyperspace tracking moments before Vader's Destroyer immediately found the Tantive IV.

And the idea of a tracker is becoming an overused plot device in Star Wars. We can block advertising on the web and find viruses in our computers while our cars can almost drive themselves but people capable of creating starships that are faster than lightspeed can't detect a tracker on its hull?

Don't do this to yourself, man.

Hammock Parties 06-10-2021 08:25 AM

Yeah, nobody needed an explanation for why the Star Destroyer was there at the beginning of ANH in 1977.

If Rogue One introduced a pre-existing element into the story 40 years later, that's not a plot hole.

The director probably listened to the star wars radio drama anyway :D (the drama is awesome, it actually covers Vader tracking Leia all the way from another planet first, then when the Devastator finally catches up to her the talk about there being a spy on board).

DaneMcCloud 06-10-2021 02:37 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This. Is. The. Way.��<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/freakingout?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#freakingout</a> <a href="https://t.co/ui3cpF6N7j">https://t.co/ui3cpF6N7j</a></p>&mdash; Ming-Na Wen (@MingNa) <a href="https://twitter.com/MingNa/status/1403059082018361356?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 10, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

DaneMcCloud 06-10-2021 02:38 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&#39;Star Wars: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Andor?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Andor</a>&#39; - Forest Whitaker to Reprise His Role of Saw Gerrera From &#39;Rogue One&#39; - <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ForestWhitaker?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ForestWhitaker</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/StarWars?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#StarWars</a> - <a href="https://t.co/TohjuFpOzk">https://t.co/TohjuFpOzk</a> <a href="https://t.co/tqgbus2R8O">pic.twitter.com/tqgbus2R8O</a></p>&mdash; SWNN (@StarWarsNewsNet) <a href="https://twitter.com/StarWarsNewsNet/status/1403045630675755013?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 10, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

DaneMcCloud 06-10-2021 02:42 PM

There's a 30 minute video interview and the full transcript with Ewan and Pedro at the link.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/actors/a...on-1234991717/

The Stars of ‘Star Wars’ Join Forces: Pedro Pascal and Ewan McGregor Share Secrets Behind ‘The Mandalorian’ and ‘Halston’

Ewan McGregor: I just came directly from our set on the “Kenobi” series, and I’m working with so many of your crew from “The Mandalorian.” In fact, Deborah Chow is directing all of our series, and I know she directed episodes of your first season. I’m having such an amazing time down there with that incredible technology, and not being in front of too much green screen and blue screen.

Pedro Pascal: It’s unbelievable, isn’t it? You would think that you would have to really invent all of it in your mind, but more than any set I’ve ever been on, it’s there and meticulously created in the production design. It’s like being on an amusement park ride.

McGregor: I did the first three films in the late ’90s and into the 2000s, and by the time you did Episode 2 and 3, literally 90% of the scenes were just on green sets with green floors and green walls, or a blue set with blue sides and blue walls.

Pascal: It would be such a different experience with the same character that you were doing before — and then coming in and doing it with all this new technology.

McGregor: I like it. It’s like the beginning of Hollywood. It’s almost like when they had three-sided sets all in a row, and a bunch of guys with windup cameras, and you would just go from one stage to the other, one background to the other. Well, we’re doing sort of the same thing, except just the background changes instead of the stage. I’m excited about it because I feel like anything’s possible now. That you can invent stuff, interiors or exteriors that don’t exist in the real world, and put us into that environment. And also, you don’t have to fly ever. I mean, traveling has been great for the first 30 years of my career, but now I just want to stay at home. I just want to drive to work and drive home from work. I want a proper job.

Fishpicker 06-12-2021 12:57 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/saimYtINzUs" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DaneMcCloud 06-12-2021 12:11 PM

Quote:

Dude, it had absolutely nothing to do with arrogance and everything to do with spending 10 years of their lives on this series, which had become a never-ending journey, especially given that Martin decided that he needed decades to outline and complete the story.

AT&T's management was and has been compete and utter shit. They pressured those guys constantly because HBO was far, far behind in the Streaming Wars (and years later, still lag far behind Disney, Netflix, Amazon and are virtually tied with Hulu, which has 1/100th the original programming). They wouldn't allow them time off, because HBO had absolutely no other "Anchor" TV series and the grind just wore them down.

Running a show, even a small show, is like being a CEO of a company. There are constant challenges with personnel, salary disputes, delays, and of course, egos. When you're talking about a series with the scope of Game of Thrones, Wiess & Benioff were basically CEO's of a global corporation, with filming locations all over Europe, which comes with its own set of logistics, a team of accountants and finance people, not to mention the fact that they had to pull the story out of their asses because Martin failed to do his part, making it no surprise that the series ended up disappointing a large number of viewers.

The blame lies with AT&T.

Frazod 06-12-2021 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15706088)
Dude, it had absolutely nothing to do with arrogance and everything to do with spending 10 years of their lives on this series, which had become a never-ending journey, especially given that Martin decided that he needed decades to outline and complete the story.

AT&T's management was and has been compete and utter shit. They pressured those guys constantly because HBO was far, far behind in the Streaming Wars (and years later, still lag far behind Disney, Netflix, Amazon and are virtually tied with Hulu, which has 1/100th the original programming). They wouldn't allow them time off, because HBO had absolutely no other "Anchor" TV series and the grind just wore them down.

Running a show, even a small show, is like being a CEO of a company. There are constant challenges with personnel, salary disputes, delays, and of course, egos. When you're talking about a series with the scope of Game of Thrones, Wiess & Benioff were basically CEO's of a global corporation, with filming locations all over Europe, which comes with its own set of logistics, a team of accountants and finance people, not to mention the fact that they had to pull the story out of their asses because Martin failed to do his part, making it no surprise that the series ended up disappointing a large number of viewers.

Figures.

http://goodbysilverstein.com/public/...968baa5a49.jpg

Hammock Parties 06-13-2021 01:51 PM

I'M HORNEY

https://scontent.fmkc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...8e&oe=60CC28FB

https://scontent.fmkc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...1a&oe=60CB03CA

Buehler445 06-13-2021 02:47 PM

What am I looking at, here?

Buehler445 06-13-2021 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15706088)

Hmm. First I’ve heard of it, other than the Martin stuff. And a lot of it makes sense. But by the same token, by season 5 when they went off book, they should have known what they were in for. And ultimately, they controlled the output so they have to wear a bunch of it.

Hammock Parties 06-13-2021 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 15706835)
What am I looking at, here?

that's old ben kenobi

DaneMcCloud 06-13-2021 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 15706843)
Hmm. First I’ve heard of it, other than the Martin stuff. And a lot of it makes sense. But by the same token, by season 5 when they went off book, they should have known what they were in for. And ultimately, they controlled the output so they have to wear a bunch of it.

Well, this isn't something that would be released or talked about by the showrunners in Variety or the Reporter or any other entertainment related website but it's fairly common knowledge in town.

It's also hurt HBO's rep. Unlike Netflix or Disney+, no established directors and/or showrunners are lining up to work with HBO/AT&T at this point in time.

No one wants "Management" looking over their shoulder every freaking minute of the day and they've pissed off so many people, including Christopher Nolan, that I have to wonder if they'll ever become a true streaming competitor to the likes of Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime, etc.

Those streamers are investing in great talent while AT&T/HBO are driving them away.

DaneMcCloud 06-13-2021 03:18 PM

This is from a new interview with Temuera Morrison about the upcoming Book of Boba Fett

----------

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...avorite-films/

Rotten Tomatoes: Speaking of action, I do have to ask about Boba Fett.

Morrison: My lips are sealed. I can’t say too much about that!

Rotten Tomatoes: Well, I will avoid The Book of Boba Fett. But for The Mandalorian, which everyone has seen, what was it like to return to that character and do that hand-to-hand combat and do things that we hadn’t really seen in a Star Wars movie before?

Morrison: I think that was a blessing for me in a way, in terms of Boba Fett’s history. No one’s actually seen him do anything besides stand there. And of course, his claim to fame was catching the man, I guess. But other than that, he was a pretty elusive bloke. So this was an opportunity again, to work with Robert Rodriguez, who gave it a little bit of an edge. And I think Robert’s ability was to sort of make a good point of making this guy explode. After it, Jon Favreau come up to me and just said, “Congratulations, the fans loved it.”

Rotten Tomatoes: Will we see more of that Boba Fett, the hand-to-hand fighting Boba Fett, in the new series?

Morrison: Well, we can’t say too much, but we’re going to see his past and where he’s been since The Empire Strikes Back. Somebody pointed out he’s been kind of stuck in this one place, and now’s the time to actually go back in time and check out his journey and find out more about him. But yeah, that was the advantage for me, was that we hadn’t seen him do much. And along with Robert Rodriguez as director, we were able to sort of introduce him in a dynamic way, bring him back in a dynamic way alongside the Mandalorian. It was just an honor to be asked back.

Hey, it could have gone anywhere. It’s a new time, and I think they’re looking for fresh faces. And of course, again, it was either Dave Filoni or Jon Favreau probably meeting, and then had a few discussions. I was just kind of quietly thrilled when I did do the meeting. I saw a couple of concept photos on the wall and there was a guy that looked very, very similar to me. And I kept saying, “Is that me? Yeah, it must be me. Yeah, it is me!”. And then of course, after having a good meeting with these guys and they outlined a few things, it was just wonderful. Again, it was nice to work with these people, and it was just a great opportunity. They brought Robert back in to direct a few more. There’s some wonderful directors involved. It’s hard work now, what we do now, a whole new system, with COVID in place, health and safety regulations.

I just hope I meet the expectations, because you can somehow kind of feel those things. You asked me that question earlier about Occupation – could you feel or sense anything, but definitely on The Book of Boba, you can get more of a sense and a feeling for if it’s working or not. So I think with being involved with that last series of The Mandalorian and having a reentry, it has created a little bit more expectation.

But yeah, I feel good. We’ve done some good work.

Buehler445 06-13-2021 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15706887)
Well, this isn't something that would be released or talked about by the showrunners in Variety or the Reporter or any other entertainment related website but it's fairly common knowledge in town.

It's also hurt HBO's rep. Unlike Netflix or Disney+, no established directors and/or showrunners are lining up to work with HBO/AT&T at this point in time.

No one wants "Management" looking over their shoulder every freaking minute of the day and they've pissed off so many people, including Christopher Nolan, that I have to wonder if they'll ever become a true streaming competitor to the likes of Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime, etc.

Those streamers are investing in great talent while AT&T/HBO are driving them away.

Oh I don’t doubt it at all. And it’s a shame. More good production that hits the ground is better for me.

I think unltimately it hurt D&Ds rep too though, right? Are those guys even working these days?

DaneMcCloud 06-13-2021 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 15706930)
Oh I don’t doubt it at all. And it’s a shame. More good production that hits the ground is better for me.

I think unltimately it hurt D&Ds rep too though, right? Are those guys even working these days?

While the fans may be disappointed, it didn't hurt their rep in town. 10+ years is a long, long time to work on one project and one project only and those guys definitely needed some downtime before moving on to their next project.

They did sign a $250 million dollar deal with Netflix and they're working to adapt a screenplay at this point. With that said, $250 million is chump change these days, especially considering the budget for GoT was $150 million per season.

Buehler445 06-13-2021 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15706991)
While the fans may be disappointed, it didn't hurt their rep in town. 10+ years is a long, long time to work on one project and one project only and those guys definitely needed some downtime before moving on to their next project.

They did sign a $250 million dollar deal with Netflix and they're working to adapt a screenplay at this point. With that said, $250 million is chump change these days, especially considering the budget for GoT was $150 million per season.

Right on. Hopefully they can return to form. GOT through Season 6ish was damned good television.

BigRedChief 06-13-2021 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15706991)

after they got past the well established and published story and character arcs is when it went off the rails. They obviously took their eyes off the ball of the most successful TV show in a long time. How does that not hurt their reputation in Hollywood?

BigRedChief 06-13-2021 07:46 PM

I re-watched Solo last week. That was a good movie. Definitely a victim of the backlash. As a stand alone it was a very good effort.

Bowser 06-13-2021 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 15707172)
I re-watched Solo last week. That was a good movie. Definitely a victim of the backlash. As a stand alone it was a very good effort.

It's a great film, really. Gets a little better with every viewing.

DaneMcCloud 06-13-2021 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 15707147)
after they got past the well established and published story and character arcs is when it went off the rails. They obviously took their eyes off the ball of the most successful TV show in a long time. How does that not hurt their reputation in Hollywood?

No, they did not. They were not working on other projects nor did they sign any other deals during their commitment to GoT. 10 years is a long, long time to dedicate to one TV series. And it wasn’t a Live Studio audience rom-com or single camera comedy. It was a massive production and before the recent Disney+ series, the biggest in TV history.

HBO demanded that they finish the series according to their schedule because the cupboards were empty. B&W didn’t get to take a few years, nor did they have any kind of blueprint from Martin because Martin himself didn’t know what the hell would happen next.

If management doesn’t give creatives time to create, the end result is most likely going to be disappointing. The blame lies solely with HBO/AT&T and everyone in town knows it, which is why they signed a deal with Netflix for up to $300 million.

DaneMcCloud 06-13-2021 08:48 PM

Just one more note on GoT: I watched the first and maybe part of the second season but had to stop due to time constraints, a newborn, wife's cancer and so much more, so I say this as someone who has no skin in the game.

I don't know how many people watch the credits after each and every TV episode or film but I think that most people are aware that it takes hundreds, if not thousands, of people to create an episode or feature film. Each of those people have a specific role that they do well and sometimes, those people rise to the level of supervisor or manager but for the most part, people are content in their roles. People don't start out as a Gaffer or Set Designer, then "move their way up" to Producer or Director. That's not how the industry works. There are clear pathways that must be taken in order to achieve those titles and goals.

The reason why I'm stating this is because when Benioff and Weiss signed on run GoT and adapt the books, they were hired based on their ability to do just that: Adapt a book into a screenplay and series. I understand that many of the fans felt a huge letdown after the show progressed past the books, which left B&W to continue the story on their own, and without an outline or roadmap of what was to come.

That isn't their strength and was never their strength. Their latest projects for Netflix are once again, to adapt, one of which is from a Pulitzer Prize winning novel and the other, a trio of Sci-Fi novels into a feature film(s). I suspect they'll be successful at doing so, as they were with GoT. But it was foolish to expect that B&W could continue the stories that they could not originate.

People have their gifts. But those gift generally do not extend beyond their capabilities, but HBO did not care. And unfortunately, B&W took the brunt of the heat and not HBO.

keg in kc 06-14-2021 09:08 AM

The main problem I had with game of thrones began well before they ran out of book material: they chose to emphasize the politics and downplay the already subtle magical elements of the show. That decision moved the course of the entire series away from the books almost immediately after the events of the red wedding, and I don't think it's a coincidence that the show's decline in storytelling quality began roughly at that same point. After that, they appeared to have no real idea where to go with any of the characters, not because they ran out of books, but because they stopped following the story Martin had laid out. The further from the template that they moved, the more obvious it was that they either didn't understand their own characters, or they weren't capable of telling stories with them without Martin's direct influence.

unlurking 06-14-2021 09:27 AM

Oh I'm fully in agreement that the complete dumpster-fire that season 8 was couldn't have been the fault of just two people, but people need someone to blame and D&D are the easiest target. They were after all, the people who took most of the credit for the huge success of seasons 1-3.

Tribal Warfare 06-14-2021 03:12 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Loki?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Loki</a> head writer Michael Waldron shares his approach to Kevin Feige’s upcoming <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/StarWars?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#StarWars</a> movie: <a href="https://t.co/xQ3dmzq7Gg">https://t.co/xQ3dmzq7Gg</a></p>&mdash; The Illuminerdi (@The_Illuminerdi) <a href="https://twitter.com/The_Illuminerdi/status/1404546512655294465?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 14, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Spoiler!

Bowser 06-14-2021 03:46 PM

Nice. Rick and Morty has mostly been brilliant (a few really really odd), the first episode of Loki got knocked out of the park, and Dr. Strange 2 looks full of promise. Give someone like that autonomy in the Star Wars universe with a movie and see what they can do.

And Waldron has hit the triple/double for nerd dreamers everywhere, lol.

Hammock Parties 06-21-2021 11:24 PM

A COOL SPEEDER

https://res.cloudinary.com/jerrick/i...001e0160a2.jpg

A BANTHA

https://res.cloudinary.com/jerrick/i...001e0160a1.jpg

Hammock Parties 06-26-2021 10:41 AM

LMAO never seen George do something like this, I didn't even know Admiral Motti's first and middle names LMAO

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gfDE3eJP9vc" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DaneMcCloud 06-26-2021 01:25 PM

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/s...on-1235005651/

Patty Jenkins’ ‘Star Wars: Rogue Squadron’ Taps Matthew Robinson to Write

After fleshing out the world that never lies in “The Invention of Lying” and the monster apocalypse in “Love and Monsters,” Matthew Robinson is penning the script for Patty Jenkins’ “Star Wars: Rogue Squadron,” which is currently scheduled to be released on Dec. 22, 2023.

While plot details are being kept under wraps, the film will loosely be based on the “X-wing” novels that were released by Bantam Spectra and Del Rey between 1996-2012. Jenkins’ film will usher in a new generation of X-wing pilots trying to earn their wings. Disney declined to comment on Robinson’s involvement.

Lucasfilm revealed that “Rogue Squadron” was in development during Disney’s investor day in December 2020. Jenkins, best known for directing “Wonder Woman” and its sequel, posted a video on Twitter where she revealed her fighter pilot father inspired her to join the project. “When he lost his life in service to this country, it ignited a desire in me to turn all of that tragedy and thrill into one day making the greatest fighter pilot movie of all-time,” she said in the video.

Robinson made his screenwriting debut in 2009 with “The Invention of Lying,” which he also co-directed with Ricky Gervais. He went on to write a slew of adventure blockbusters such as 2016’s “Monster Trucks,” 2019’s “Dora and the Lost City of Gold” and 2020’s “Love and Monsters.” He is also penning the screenplay to Doug Liman’s “Edge of Tomorrow” sequel as well as Greg Berlanti’s upcoming adaptation of “Little Shop of Horrors.”

Robinson is repped by ICM Partners and 3 Arts Entertainment.

lawrenceRaider 06-26-2021 02:12 PM

Well, I'm hoping for the best from this. I read a bunch of the X-Wing books and have fond memories of them.

DaneMcCloud 06-26-2021 09:39 PM

I don't know how many of you guys are watching Bad Batch but last night's episode finally made the series relevant, which could have a major impact in the post-RotJ Star Wars lore, including the Book of Boba Fett, The Mandalorian and who knows what else.

It's a bummer that it took nine episodes to make watching it worthwhile, but I guess that's better than Resistance, which was awful from the start, so much so I stopped watching after 4 episodes.

For those of you not watching, I'll put the highlight in a spoiler tag.

Spoiler!

DaneMcCloud 06-27-2021 09:12 PM

This is cool...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E47OohgX...pg&name=medium

Bowser 06-28-2021 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15722829)
I don't know how many of you guys are watching Bad Batch but last night's episode finally made the series relevant, which could have a major impact in the post-RotJ Star Wars lore, including the Book of Boba Fett, The Mandalorian and who knows what else.

It's a bummer that it took nine episodes to make watching it worthwhile, but I guess that's better than Resistance, which was awful from the start, so much so I stopped watching after 4 episodes.

Spoiler!

I've enjoyed Bad Batch for what it's been to this point - mostly nostalgia. But you're right, that was a big reveal and makes the show relevant going forward with the lore.

DaneMcCloud 06-28-2021 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 15723981)
I've enjoyed Bad Batch for what it's been to this point - mostly nostalgia. But you're right, that was a big reveal and makes the show relevant going forward with the lore.

It's almost as if Bad Batch is a prequel to The Book of Boba Fett.

Hammock Parties 06-28-2021 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 15723981)

What I really appreciate about Bad Batch is how nicely it's wrapping up The Clone Wars and expanding the lore.

They got really creative with it. It's just interesting to watch. I mean, meeting Captain Rex in a Republic cruiser graveyard? WOW.

And the abandoned cloning facility. Man, that could go anywhere. At first I thought it was going to be what eventually becomes Bespin.

lawrenceRaider 06-28-2021 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15722829)

Spoiler!

Can I watch just this episode without having to suffer through the rest? My son and I bailed after the first two.

Bowser 06-28-2021 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 15724087)
What I really appreciate about Bad Batch is how nicely it's wrapping up The Clone Wars and expanding the lore.

They got really creative with it. It's just interesting to watch. I mean, meeting Captain Rex in a Republic cruiser graveyard? WOW.

And the abandoned cloning facility. Man, that could go anywhere. At first I thought it was going to be what eventually becomes Bespin.

I thought that was going to be a precursor to Snoke when I saw it.

And yeah, great touch with Rex. Also, I probably enjoyed the Moochie episode more than I should have, lol.

Hammock Parties 06-28-2021 12:35 PM

I just hope they abandon any stupid Snoke ideas.

Bowser 06-28-2021 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 15724124)
Can I watch just this episode without having to suffer through the rest? My son and I bailed after the first two.

Probably. There's a little bit of stuff that goes on that leads up to that episode, but you'll catch up quickly.

Hammock Parties 06-28-2021 12:39 PM

It's also great to see Cade Bane again.

Can we roll in Hondo :D

DaneMcCloud 06-28-2021 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 15724136)
I just hope they abandon any stupid Snoke ideas.

This is a series about clones protecting another clone while cloning experiments are continuing.

It's also been revealed in the comics that Sidious started work on the Final Order fleet almost immediately after he created The Empire, which almost certainly means that he ordered his scientists to create clone bodies to transfer his consciousness at that time as well.

Like it or not, Snoke and the return of Sidious are canon and it appears as if Lucasfilm is doing everything they can to fill in that backstory.

DaneMcCloud 06-28-2021 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 15724149)
It's also great to see Cade Bane again.

Can we roll in Hondo :D

I won't be surprised if Hondo shows up at at some point in this particular series but I really want to see the live-action version of Hondo in one of the upcoming series.

The robotic Hondo at the Millennium Falcon ride is awesome.

https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/wp-co...matronic-2.jpg

Hammock Parties 07-26-2021 08:26 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: Live-action Ezra Bridger and Grand Admiral Thrawn have been cast: <br><br>Mena Massoud as Ezra<br>Lars Mikkelsen as Thrawn<br><br>(<a href="https://twitter.com/LRM_Exclusive?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@LRM_Exclusive</a>) <a href="https://t.co/kFXbZcyb8B">pic.twitter.com/kFXbZcyb8B</a></p>&mdash; Star Wars Stuff (@starwarstuff2) <a href="https://twitter.com/starwarstuff2/status/1418581431496945670?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 23, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

bowener 07-26-2021 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 15755143)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: Live-action Ezra Bridger and Grand Admiral Thrawn have been cast: <br><br>Mena Massoud as Ezra<br>Lars Mikkelsen as Thrawn<br><br>(<a href="https://twitter.com/LRM_Exclusive?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@LRM_Exclusive</a>) <a href="https://t.co/kFXbZcyb8B">pic.twitter.com/kFXbZcyb8B</a></p>&mdash; Star Wars Stuff (@starwarstuff2) <a href="https://twitter.com/starwarstuff2/status/1418581431496945670?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 23, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

**** yes they didn't **** up Thrawn. I assumed they would cast him, but you never know!

Hammock Parties 08-04-2021 07:26 AM

My 2022 summer vacation is right on track.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">‘We’re Gonna Save the Galaxy’: Check out the first commercial for Star Wars: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GalacticStarcruiser?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#GalacticStarcruiser</a>, opening in spring 2022 at <a href="https://twitter.com/WaltDisneyWorld?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@WaltDisneyWorld</a> Resort. �� Then, head over to the Disney Parks Blog for a closer look: <a href="https://t.co/gpFLknPdmS">https://t.co/gpFLknPdmS</a> <a href="https://t.co/3NOYKfqnLM">pic.twitter.com/3NOYKfqnLM</a></p>&mdash; Disney Parks (@DisneyParks) <a href="https://twitter.com/DisneyParks/status/1422909669916528640?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 4, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Fish 08-17-2021 01:35 PM

Star Wars Manga anybody?

<iframe width="800" height="600" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SQReWEZSoK0" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hammock Parties 08-17-2021 05:21 PM

So the mountain facility at the end of The Bad Batch is
Spoiler!

In fact, it's also confirmed to even be on a planet named
Spoiler!

They are so ****ing doing the Thrawn Trilogy.

Bowser 08-17-2021 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 15788268)
Star Wars Manga anybody?

<iframe width="800" height="600" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SQReWEZSoK0" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's Animatrix: Star Wars Edition!

Hammock Parties 08-25-2021 01:14 PM

ugh why can't we just get a regular video game, not this lego BS

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">New trailer for &#39;Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga&#39;<br><br>Releasing Spring 2022<br> <a href="https://t.co/Vq3g2xBkFj">pic.twitter.com/Vq3g2xBkFj</a></p>&mdash; Star Wars Facts &amp; News (@DexertoStarWars) <a href="https://twitter.com/DexertoStarWars/status/1430607905665941507?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 25, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Fish 11-01-2021 02:05 PM

<iframe width="1221" height="687" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rOJ1cw6mohw" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Indian Chief 11-05-2021 11:53 AM

Currently in the middle of a Clone Wars rewatch. I forgot how good this show was. Definitely one of my favorite Star Wars properties.

Tribal Warfare 11-19-2021 06:13 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">‘Star Wars: Ahsoka’: Natasha Liu Bordizzo To Play Sabine Wren In Disney+ Series <a href="https://t.co/eJEo5Wgwa4">https://t.co/eJEo5Wgwa4</a></p>&mdash; Deadline Hollywood (@DEADLINE) <a href="https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1461810416653422598?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 19, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bowser 05-28-2022 11:34 PM

Kathleen Kennedy hears your hate and laughs at it

https://movieweb.com/star-wars-movie...hleen-kennedy/

Fish 05-28-2022 11:36 PM

**** that ****.

https://ci.memecdn.com/9604076.jpg