ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Hall of Classics (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Planet members and their kids serving in Iraq and Afghanistan need our support. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=217140)

BigRedChief 11-20-2010 07:07 PM

bump for the new package going out in case some of the contributors missed it.

BigRedChief 11-23-2010 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
CHIEF4EVER serving over in the sandbox.

BigRedChief 12-02-2010 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHIEF4EVER (Post 7217579)
I just wanted to take a minute and express the heartfelt gratitude the soldiers and I share for the care packages you all sent to us. The soldiers were instantly uplifted by the kind gesture. The Kansas City Chiefs have the best fans on the face of the Earth, bar none, and this is an example of why. Thank you all so much for your kindness and support. Attached are a couple of pics (I am not in them, I am holding the camera) of the soldiers with the goodies. Again, THANK YOU ALL and GO CHIEFS! :thumb:

PS: May we utterly destroy the cheatin' Donx on Sunday.

putting in this thread.

I still say fellow soldiers or not those Donkey fans should have got diddly squat!:p

BigRedChief 12-02-2010 05:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Real live heroes

GloryDayz 12-02-2010 09:47 PM

PM me with info...

BigRedChief 12-03-2010 05:26 PM

We have another 2 donations in hand and another 3 promises of a donation.

If you know someone that needs/deserves a package. PM me.

BigRedChief 12-15-2010 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 7221593)
If you know someone that needs/deserves a package. PM me.

What this guy said!

BigRedChief 01-30-2011 02:24 PM

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5099/...4a945ca56a.jpg
New care package going out

Sent from my iPhone

MIAdragon 01-30-2011 02:42 PM

Red do you have a paypal I can send some money to buy goodies for the boys?

MIAdragon 01-30-2011 02:45 PM

Guys being a service member stationed overseas I cant tell you how much these meant to me. It takes you to a better place even for just a moment. Hell even if you sent a simple "thank you" note to a random member it means more than you think.

BigRedChief 01-30-2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 7393271)
Red do you have a paypal I can send some money to buy goodies for the boys?

check your pm's

BigRedChief 01-30-2011 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 7393277)
Guys being a service member stationed overseas I cant tell you how much these meant to me. It takes you to a better place even for just a moment. Hell even if you sent a simple "thank you" note to a random member it means more than you think.

This

BigRedChief 01-31-2011 06:57 AM

Bump for the people that contributed that may have missed the new package going out.

Gracie Dean 01-31-2011 05:36 PM

Brother in law is back from Iraq but will be deploying to Afgan in a few months

BigRedChief 05-14-2011 07:58 AM

new packages getting ready to go out. You know someone that serves and you'd like a package sent to them. Let me know privately or publically.

BigRedChief 05-14-2011 12:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
In two of these packages I've put some Instant snow in the package. Enough for 3 gallons of snow. You use cold water and you can have a snowball fighet in the desert.

IA_Chiefs_fan 05-14-2011 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 7640260)
In two of these packages I've put some Instant snow in the package. Enough for 3 gallons of snow. You use cold water and you can have a snowball fighet in the desert.

That's pretty damn cool! How much is that stuff? I'll send you a little money so you can buy even more of it for them.

BigRedChief 05-14-2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IA_Chiefs_fan (Post 7640397)
That's pretty damn cool! How much is that stuff? I'll send you a little money so you can buy even more of it for them.

Over $100 in the boxes not counting the shipping that I pay out of my own pocket. It was more expensive this time because of the snow.

Pm me and I'll send you a paypal address.

IA_Chiefs_fan 05-14-2011 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 7640489)
Over $100 in the boxes not counting the shipping that I pay out of my own pocket. It was more expensive this time because of the snow.

Pm me and I'll send you a paypal address.

PM Sent - I was actually specifically wondering how much the snow stuff was. I'll bet that will give some troops some well-deserved fun!

Easy 6 05-14-2011 08:34 PM

Instant snow? dude, thats gotta be one of the coolest gifts people send those guys, you know they love that sheet.

BigRedChief 05-14-2011 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 7640654)
Instant snow? dude, thats gotta be one of the coolest gifts people send those guys, you know they love that sheet.

Yeah, I'd send it more often but its expensive. I think the last instanst snow package that I sent was to Crazy Coffey. I never did ask how the snowball fight in the desert went...

IA_Chiefs_fan 05-14-2011 09:35 PM

I just sent a little money. I want it all to go for the fake snow please. That's got to let them relax and have fun, even if only for a few minutes.

Saccopoo 05-15-2011 03:08 AM

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but aren't they already getting paid to go over there? It's kinda part of the job description, isn't it? I mean, no one around here is offering to send me money or cookies or an Uno game when I pony up to go to work in the morning...

HMc 05-15-2011 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 7640917)
I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but aren't they already getting paid to go over there? It's kinda part of the job description, isn't it? I mean, no one around here is offering to send me money or cookies or an Uno game when I pony up to go to work in the morning...

It's hard to know where to start with shit like this, if you really think there is no difference between being at war (or whatever theyre calling it now) and sitting behind a desk (or whatever you do) just because you both get paid money to do it, you've got 9/11-truther levels of critical analysis skills.

I think this thread's really cool - "Support the/our Troops" is usually a meaningless slogan used to deflect criticism from foreign policy but you're actually supporting them by doing this.

IA_Chiefs_fan 05-15-2011 06:44 AM

Quote:

:banghead:
I could list many reasons why I think you're completely wrong and off base. This would turn very political, very fast though. Instead, I'll just ask you to please respect the fact that the OP is doing something to help people, as are those who chip in a small amount. Is it too much to ask that you let us just feel good about helping our troops out? It would be very cool of you to just go back, delete your post, and let those involved feel good about what they're doing without any BS. Else we'll bring you cookies... Antifreeze Oreos...

Easy 6 05-15-2011 09:19 AM

Quote:

Am i really reading this, or do i just need more coffee?

Saccopoo 05-15-2011 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IA_Chiefs_fan (Post 7640937)
:banghead:
I could list many reasons why I think you're completely wrong and off base. This would turn very political, very fast though. Instead, I'll just ask you to please respect the fact that the OP is doing something to help people, as are those who chip in a small amount. Is it too much to ask that you let us just feel good about helping our troops out? It would be very cool of you to just go back, delete your post, and let those involved feel good about what they're doing without any BS. Else we'll bring you cookies... Antifreeze Oreos...

I guess I just don't get the "doing something to help people" thing.

Why do they need "help?"

I'm pretty sure that they are getting paid for it, and in addition, are getting free room and board, college education assistance packages, will get free medical for the rest of their lives (VA), good home loan and business loan packages, etc.

I mean, shit...it's not like they are a bunch of third world refugees eating sand to stay alive.

I just think it's strange that people think that they need "help" when there is actually a shit ton of people around the globe who actually, truly need "help" but they don't count for two shits because they aren't dressed in camo with a US flag shoulder patch, carrying a machine gun and being a part of an foreign occupying army somewhere. It's not like they were drafted or pressed ganged and being forced to serve somewhere against their will.

Cheater5 05-15-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 7641116)

Why do they need "help?"

I'm pretty sure that they are getting paid for it, and in addition, are getting free room and board, college education assistance packages, will get free medical for the rest of their lives (VA), good home loan and business loan packages, etc.

I mean, shit...it's not like they are a bunch of third world refugees eating sand to stay alive.

I just think it's strange that people think that they need "help" when there is actually a shit ton of people around the globe who actually, truly need "help" but they don't count for two shits because they aren't dressed in camo with a US flag shoulder patch, carrying a machine gun and being a part of an foreign occupying army somewhere. It's not like they were drafted or pressed ganged and being forced to serve somewhere against their will.

So don't contribute. Go back to your awsome-ly self-centered life.

As a person who has been on the other end, and received care packages addressed to "Any Serviceman" from middle schools, old-folks homes, and people like Big Red Chief- my morale soared. When you sleep on a cot, or in a combat vehicle for 365 days, eat MREs two out of three meals, drink refreshingly hot water on a 115 degree day, getting something-- ANYthing in the mail is great.

Bottom line- it's not about the chow, or the DVDs, books, magazines, etc. It's knowing you're not forgotten. It's knowing that some folks, who put the elected officials in charge of sending your ass 7,800 miles away from home haven't grown apathetic, disinterested, or indifferent about your fate. Yes, you're right; no one forced them to enlist. Regardless, they do your bidding and carry scary machineguns and wear the U.S. flag like a bunch of witless fucks that you'd like to categorize them as.

So, again; just move along. Free Tibet or something.

BigRedChief 05-15-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

I can't believe that anyone on here would be so stupid to come in here and shit on this thread. You need a vacation from the Planet.

patteeu 05-15-2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

If you don't want to contribute, that's fine. But what problem could you possibly have with others who want to send a little bit of extra support to a few people who are performing a dangerous job on our behalf?

patteeu 05-15-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 7641116)

Why do they need "help?"

Why do you hug your mom? She doesn't really need a hug, does she?

BigRedChief 05-15-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Are you really this dense? or just an asshole who doesn't care if he hurts others?

Do you really think its about the Beef Jerkey and peanuts? they are starving and we need to feed them? You really think that?

Go see my posts in DC. My political view is clear. But, supporting these troops serving in the big sandbox have absolutely nothing to do with politics.

It's about letting your Dad, Brother, neighbor, friend etc. know someone gives a chit they are in hostile territory where everyone is trying to kill them thousands of miles away. That we are thinking of them and hope they make it back safely.

And these are going out to Planeters family or friends. Not just some generalized "any serviceman" mailbox.

Did you really feel the need to post in the thread that this is a supid idea? Why post at all? Just ignore the thread.

You don't give a shit about our soldiers, fine. You want to call soldiers baby killer? want to spit on them? Whatever your issue is, keep it out of this thread.

Dunit35 05-15-2011 02:25 PM

Did you find anybody?

I'm sure my wife knows plenty who could use it.

We have an officer here who just left in February, don't think he is overseas yet.

seclark 05-15-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

they're doing it so you have the right to post something like this and not be arrested, or put to death for your views. you should thank them. if you were somewhere else in the world, things might be different.
sec

BigRedChief 05-15-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunit35 (Post 7641429)
Did you find anybody?

I'm sure my wife knows plenty who could use it.

We have an officer here who just left in February, don't think he is overseas yet.

yeah, they are going out to Buck's best friend and Gracie Dean's brother-in law.

But there will be more soon. I've got the money for the instant snow and our other goodie account is not bankrupt yet. Especially if the people who said they would contribute follow through and actually contribute. ;)

crazycoffey 05-15-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 7640677)
Yeah, I'd send it more often but its expensive. I think the last instanst snow package that I sent was to Crazy Coffey. I never did ask how the snowball fight in the desert went...

It wasn't easy to throw, more decorative, but fun none the less and brought a few smiles, pics got erased somehow, I meant to send you some.

BigRedChief 05-16-2011 05:05 PM

First of the packages out to Bucks best friend over in the sandbox.

BigRedChief 05-17-2011 06:18 PM

Gracie deans brother-in-law package out today

BigRedChief 05-30-2011 08:41 AM

On this memorial day, a bump for those heroes we have lost.

MMXcalibur 05-30-2011 12:20 PM

As a member of the military (Air Force), I can't begin to express the amount of gratitude for putting this all together. Thank you everyone for your support.

IA_Chiefs_fan 05-30-2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCtotheSB (Post 7669579)
As a member of the military (Air Force), I can't begin to express the amount of gratitude for putting this all together. Thank you everyone for your support.

Actually... Thank you.

Buck 05-30-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 7643318)
First of the packages out to Bucks best friend over in the sandbox.

Thanks BRC.

This is a great thing you are doing.

BigRedChief 05-30-2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 7670087)
Thanks BRC.

This is a great thing you are doing.

hey, see if your BF takes any pics of the snow and post em in here that would be a really cool thing to happen.

BigRedChief 12-16-2011 10:39 PM

Getting ready to send out another round of care packages. Got some of the instant snow to put in the packages this round.

Let me know of some soldiers that would like to recieve a care package. You can post here or PM me and we can keep it between us.

Smed1065 12-16-2011 10:44 PM

My friends are coming back.
They only served 4 years in a war zone.
Best wishes bros.

crazycoffey 12-16-2011 10:46 PM

I still have that red football in the OP

Buck 12-16-2011 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8209930)
Getting ready to send out another round of care packages. Got some of the instant snow to put in the packages this round.

Let me know of some soldiers that would like to recieve a care package. You can post here or PM me and we can keep it between us.

Hey BRC, I don't know if I ever told you, but my buddy got the stuff you sent him like 6 or 7 months ago and he really enjoyed it.

The only thing is you sent some fake snow I guess and it was already snowing where his base was. He said he laughed, which I'm glad he got a chance to do, but he really appreciated all the stuff.

When I see him around Christmas I'll see if I can get him to write something that I can post on here.

BigRedChief 12-17-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8209963)
Hey BRC, I don't know if I ever told you, but my buddy got the stuff you sent him like 6 or 7 months ago and he really enjoyed it.

The only thing is you sent some fake snow I guess and it was already snowing where his base was. He said he laughed, which I'm glad he got a chance to do, but he really appreciated all the stuff.

When I see him around Christmas I'll see if I can get him to write something that I can post on here.

I hope he's doing better adjusting to life back here in the real world.

Buck 12-17-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8210874)
I hope he's doing better adjusting to life back here in the real world.

Yeah, he had an issue or two, but he's better I think. He's at Fort Polk, LA right now, but he's visiting here for a couple weeks around Christmas and then he gets out for good in February.

BigRedChief 12-17-2011 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8211421)
Yeah, he had an issue or two, but he's better I think. He's at Fort Polk, LA right now, but he's visiting here for a couple weeks around Christmas and then he gets out for good in February.

cool, glad to hear.

Jerm 12-17-2011 10:58 PM

Glad all my buddies and all the other troops are coming home....

Going in on April 10th...figured it was a good time as those two wars were winding down but now I'm afraid I'll be headed to Iran before it's all over. :facepalm:

Caseyguyrr 12-17-2011 11:00 PM

My gf leaves in april for a 12 month deployment, thats gonna suck

BigRedChief 12-17-2011 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caseyguyrr (Post 8212030)
My gf leaves in april for a 12 month deployment, thats gonna suck

Won't be any fun. At least communication with family is getting easier and better.

crazycoffey 12-17-2011 11:50 PM

skype sex is better than no sex....

Caseyguyrr 12-17-2011 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8212102)
Won't be any fun. At least communication with family is getting easier and better.

thats true, i guess any advancement is better than just letters, who knows how they managed that back then

crazycoffey 12-18-2011 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caseyguyrr (Post 8212107)
thats true, i guess any advancement is better than just letters, who knows how they managed that back then

It wasn't fun, I promise. And I first deployed in the "advanced" era (1994) of USO phone lines to augment the postal service. My last deployment (2010), I paid 100 bucks a month for internet; email, skype, facebook.

Skype for sure makes a deployment so much different than Cuba in 94. Good and bad, it's awesome to see the face of your loved ones. Talking, crying, smiling and laughing, etc. But it's bitter for the ones back home when they hear an "incoming, incoming, incoming!!!" alarm, followed by a disconnected signal and several hours of communication silence before finding out that loved one is ok.

I made the mistake of not properly preparing my wife for that, but I also didn't really think about it until it happened. I just suggest to you that there will be some very abnormal moments that will not make sense at that time, you have to go on with your day and not beat yourself up mentally with the "what ifs" She'll get back to you when she can, trust in that.

Caseyguyrr 12-18-2011 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyCoffey (Post 8212122)
It wasn't fun, I promise. And I first deployed in the "advanced" era (1994) of USO phone lines to augment the postal service. My last deployment (2010), I paid 100 bucks a month for internet; email, skype, facebook.

Skype for sure makes a deployment so much different than Cuba in 94. Good and bad, it's awesome to see the face of your loved ones. Talking, crying, smiling and laughing, etc. But it's bitter for the ones back home when they hear an "incoming, incoming, incoming!!!" alarm, followed by a disconnected signal and several hours of communication silence before finding out that loved one is ok.

I made the mistake of not properly preparing my wife for that, but I also didn't really think about it until it happened. I just suggest to you that there will be some very abnormal moments that will not make sense at that time, you have to go on with your day and not beat yourself up mentally with the "what ifs" She'll get back to you when she can, trust in that.

sorry man, sounds hard

BigRedChief 12-21-2011 05:03 PM

If you know someone that is serving our country and would like a package sent, let me know.

patteeu 12-21-2011 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8226637)
If you know someone that is serving our country and would like a package sent, let me know.

I know someone who is going to be returning to Afghanistan shortly, I'll find out the details and send you the information when I can.

BigRedChief 12-21-2011 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 8226710)
I know someone who is going to be returning to Afghanistan shortly, I'll find out the details and send you the information when I can.

Just let me know the date and their name. I can get the details myself. ;)

BigRedChief 12-22-2011 01:45 PM

Last call for your family and or friends to get some planet goodies!

MMXcalibur 12-23-2011 02:37 AM

Currently being in a deployed environment, once again: thank you for keeping up with this thread. I just received a morale box from "Operation Gratitude" today with a whole bunch of things like Sudoku books, candy, toiletries and a "small dog beanie baby" which I keep on my desk. Most importantly though, are the letters and cards from kids saying "Thank You". The whole box was very encouraging and it certainly lifted my spirits. I know the other servicemen/women are feeling the same thanks to your efforts here, guys.

Once again, thank you and God bless.

BigRedChief 01-07-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCtotheSB (Post 8229986)
Currently being in a deployed environment, once again: thank you for keeping up with this thread. I just received a morale box from "Operation Gratitude" today with a whole bunch of things like Sudoku books, candy, toiletries and a "small dog beanie baby" which I keep on my desk. Most importantly though, are the letters and cards from kids saying "Thank You". The whole box was very encouraging and it certainly lifted my spirits. I know the other servicemen/women are feeling the same thanks to your efforts here, guys.

Once again, thank you and God bless.

The Planet has these two packages on the way to you and your unit. Thanks to a generous Planet donor, I was able to purchase a large amount of the instant snow that they requested and put it in the packages.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7162/6...e3d676f5_z.jpg

BigRedChief 01-08-2012 02:46 PM

bump in case those who contributed missed the new packages going out.

MMXcalibur 01-22-2012 01:44 AM

THANK YOU VERY MUCH GUYS!

After a lengthy customs blackout, we received two packages today filled with beef jerky, cookies, fruit snacks and snow, snow...SNOW! The rest of my coworkers in the office were very excited to receive the shipment and send along their appreciation and thanks. In all, we have a Rams, Bills and Broncos fan in the office (the Broncos fan gets the empty box) and yes, even the Bronco fan says thank you! So once again, fellas, thank you for brightening our Sunday!

BigRedChief 01-22-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCtotheSB (Post 8316676)
In all, we have a Rams, Bills and Broncos fan in the office (the Broncos fan gets the empty box) and yes, even the Bronco fan says thank you! So once again, fellas, thank you for brightening our Sunday!

Let the Bronco fan be happy with the empty box. He has Teabow. What more could anyone ask for?:p

BigRedChief 01-22-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCtotheSB (Post 8316676)
THANK YOU VERY MUCH GUYS!

After a lengthy customs blackout,

I saw it stuck in customs and asked one of my coworkers to get the package released. It's good to have connections if you can't be king.;)

Easy 6 01-22-2012 05:11 PM

I for one, hope we pull everyone out of there ASAP... thats the best way to help them.

Its a lost cause, that place, its not a real country just a spot on the map, they dont even like or trust the people in the next valley over... its NEVER going to be a real, stable nation... just a giant, endless suckhole to throw our blood & money into.

We secured our revenge for 9/11... lets get the hell out of there.

BigRedChief 01-22-2012 09:01 PM

hey guys, this is a politics/religion free thread. It's all about honoring Joe/Jane Soldier for their service and sacrifice.

BigRedChief 01-26-2012 07:03 PM

Welcome Home Iraq veterans parade in downtown St. Louis tommorrow.

http://www.bnd.com/2012/01/26/203331...-louis-to.html

If you are in the area get out there and show the love.

BigRedChief 01-27-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8329503)
Welcome Home Iraq veterans parade in downtown St. Louis tommorrow.

http://www.bnd.com/2012/01/26/203331...-louis-to.html

If you are in the area get out there and show the love.

Parade is tommorrow.

BigRedChief 01-28-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8331989)
Parade is tommorrow.

ST. LOUIS • A downtown parade to honor Iraq war veterans stepped off at noon today at Kiener Plaza.

Thousands of people lined the parade route on Market Street, cheering, waving American flags and holding signs "Welcome Home."

Christine Willey of Webster Groves was one of those along the parade route. Her nephew served in Afghanistan and was wounded in Iraq when his Humvee was hit by an explosive.

"I think he would appreciate it a lot," she said of the parade. Her nephew, of Wentzville, who suffered brain injuries, was unable to attend the parade.
Tom Appelbaum, one of the parade organizers, said the parade "pretty much matches what I would have expected." He said he was "feeling great."
The parade follows a vigil which began Friday at 9:11 p.m. at Soldier's Memorial in downtown. Volunteers read the names of U.S. servicemen and servicewomen who have died in conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.
The Anheuser-Busch Clydesdales and St. Louis police and fire departments are joining 83 floats in the parade.

Mayflower, which donated $7,500 to the parade effort, is collecting items for homeless veterans in a storage container at 13th and Market streets. They are asking for sleeping bags, blankets, non-perishable food items, and winter coats.

the organizers, Appelbaum and Craig Schneider, said St. Louis is the first major city to welcome troops home from Iraq since the war officially ended on Dec. 15.

Inside Union Station until 5 p.m., organizers are offering a "resource village," where veterans can connect with service providers such as the Red Cross or Department of Veterans Affairs. Live music is planned from 3 to 8 p.m.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...6aa2.image.jpg
Marine Sgt. Alex Renner, 22,(right) from Red Bud, Ill. shakes hands with well wishers during a parade to welcome home Iraq war veterans along Market Street in St. Louis on Saturday, Jan. 28, 2012. "I feel good because they have our back" said Renner about the reception he received from the crowd. Renner served one tour in Iraq from 2008-2009.

BigRedChief 01-28-2012 03:42 PM

From USA Today:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...4/1?csp=34news

ST. LOUIS (AP)–Thousands of people have turned out in St. Louis for the nation's first big parade welcoming home Iraq War veterans.

<MORE>Several hundred veterans, many dressed in camouflage, marched Saturday afternoon through downtown along with marching bands, politicians and even the Budweiser Clydesdales.

But the biggest cheers clearly were for the veterans themselves. The crowd wildly cheered as groups walked by, and some veterans wiped away tears as they acknowledged the support.

People in the crowd waved American flags and held signs reading, "Welcome Home" and "God Bless Our Troops." Fire trucks with aerial ladders hoisted three huge American flags along the route.

Two St. Louis men launched a grass-roots effort to hold the parade after noticing there'd been no large public celebrations to welcome troops home.

BigRedChief 01-29-2012 07:12 AM

:clap: Well done St. Louis, Well done! :clap:

ST. LOUIS• Thousands of people waved U.S. flags and shouted "thank you" Saturday during a downtown parade to welcome home Iraq war veterans.

Many spectators wore layers of jackets and huddled under blankets on the cold, sunny day as they cheered on veterans of recent U.S. wars in the first parade of its kind in a major U.S. city

"It makes me proud to be an American," said Trisha Thompson, a member of the Army Reserves who served in Iraq in 2005 and 2006, after watching the parade finish near Union Station. "Even during hard times, there's still a spirit of unity."

Thompson and her husband, James Pena, also an Iraq veteran, watched with their 6-month-old son, Schuyler, well-covered in his stroller with blankets and a camouflage fleece hat. They both choked back tears as they explained how it felt to see so many people gathered in their honor.
"People have come to realize that you can definitely support the troops even if you don't support the war," Thompson said.

Army Lt. Col. Mike Fayette, who participated in the parade, approached co-organizer Craig Schneider afterward to thank him.

"When prosperous families, individuals and businesses step up to honor us, it makes what I do feel more relevant," said Fayette, who will retire next month after 30 years of service.

Fayette, who recently moved to Columbia, Mo., was injured by an improvised explosive device in Iraq in 2005. He remained there until 2006, when he returned to work at the Pentagon.

"I was overwhelmed by the genuineness of their support," he said of the crowd.

"This (parade) showed that things get accomplished when you have a sense of urgency," said Tom Appelbaum, a lawyer from Creve Coeur and one of the parade organizers. "Now we're gonna take this on the road."
He and Schneider, a technology coordinator for the St. Charles School District, dreamed up the parade over dinner in December. They started a Facebook group, which quickly grew to more than 5,000 members, and used social media and word-of-mouth to drum up support for the plan.
Now they hope to start a fundraising campaign called the "Welcome Home the Heroes Challenge." They want to raise $7 million by next Sunday, the day of the Super Bowl.

Their motto for the parade and the fundraising effort was displayed on the T-shirts they wore on Saturday: "Don't tell us it's impossible."
The money will be split between The Mission Continues, a St. Louis-based nonprofit group that connects veterans with volunteer opportunities and helped coordinate the parade, and the Welcome Home Foundation, a group Appelbaum and Schneider created to distribute funds to veterans organizations.

Not all of the families in the parade were welcoming loved ones home. Susan and Jim Jacobs of Ballwin marched with about 10 Gold Star families, who have lost relatives in the line of duty.\
Their son, Sgt. Zachary Fisher, was killed July 14, 2010, when an improvised explosive device detonated next to his convoy in the Zabul province in Afghanistan.

He had previously served nine months in Iraq.
"Zachary would have been very proud to see his community come out and support the troops," his mother said, tears in her eyes.

Susan Jacobs held tight to a picture of her son, who was 24 when he died. She said it was "bittersweet" to be at an event welcoming home other people's children when her son will never be among them. But she said Zachary would have wanted her and her husband to be there.
"Some of these young men and women get to come home, and some of them don't," she said. "Our community needs to know both sides."
Thompson and Pena, the young Iraq veterans, disagree over whether they want their 6-month-old son to serve in the military.

Pena said he doesn't want to worry about whether his son will come home. But Thompson said Schuyler should serve if he wants. Military service gave her a pride that she wouldn't feel otherwise, she said.
"The most proud I feel is when people come up to me when I'm in my uniform." Thompson said.

Just then, a young girl in a pink coat walked over and handed her a homemade sign. It read: "Welcome Home Soldiers, love Payton Marie."
"Thank you," Thompson said, her voice wavering.

crazycoffey 01-29-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8334294)
:clap: Well done St. Louis, Well done! :clap:

ST. LOUIS• Thousands of people waved U.S. flags and shouted "thank you" Saturday during a downtown parade to welcome home Iraq war veterans.

Many spectators wore layers of jackets and huddled under blankets on the cold, sunny day as they cheered on veterans of recent U.S. wars in the first parade of its kind in a major U.S. city

I just heard this part was a topic in discussion, something about it being the first of it's kind since WWII. I don't know if that is correct or not. Cool either way, and if I was off work this weekend I would have loved to go.

BigRedChief 01-29-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyCoffey (Post 8334349)
I just heard this part was a topic in discussion, something about it being the first of it's kind since WWII. I don't know if that is correct or not. Cool either way, and if I was off work this weekend I would have loved to go.

Thats what I heard too. The first parade honoring vets that wasn't organized by a city/state/government but by John Doe Q public just to say thanks to the troops since WWII. No politics. Just a fellow citzen showing appreciation for their sacrifice. Thats some strong mojo. Really us at our best. :thumb:

crazycoffey 01-29-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8334364)
Thats what I heard too. The first parade honoring vets that wasn't organized by a city/state/government but by John Doe Q public just to say thanks to the troops since WWII. No politics. Just a fellow citzen showing appreciation for their sacrifice. Thats some strong mojo. Really us at our best. :thumb:

You still in St. Louis, or come back regularly? I want to buy you a beer.

BigRedChief 01-29-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyCoffey (Post 8334393)
You still in St. Louis, or come back regularly? I want to buy you a beer.

I've been in Florida for about 20 months now. I came back to St. Louis last year to watch a game last year. Probably not this year. Going to go on a couple of trips to watch Cardinals spring traning games. They are here in St. Pete abotu 5 mintues from my house for a series this year. Also thinking about going to Miami to watch some games and have some fun on South Beach.

crazycoffey 01-29-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8334404)
I've been in Florida for about 20 months now. I came back to St. Louis last year to watch a game last year. Probably not this year. Going to go on a couple of trips to watch Cardinals spring traning games. They are here in St. Pete abotu 5 mintues from my house for a series this year. Also thinking about going to Miami to watch some games and have some fun on South Beach.

That's right, I though I remembered something about florida for the DOD job thingy. Well, certainly look me up when you come back through. Conversely my Dad spends his winters on the West side of the Panhandle, if we make it that way in the next few weeks, I'll let you know.

BigRedChief 02-01-2012 07:34 PM

A thank you card for the planet from the troops over in the sandbox.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7024/6...aff6991e0e.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7013/6...24fd622d_z.jpg