ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV *The NEW Movies Thread* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280244)

Anyong Bluth 01-19-2014 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 10380013)
Chris Cooper always seems mad and upset about something I don't think I've seen him crack a smile come to think of, not a lot of depth in his characters.

I've always liked him as an actor. Really took notice of him in the late 90's remake of Great Expectations , even though he was in a bunch of stuff prior to that and I just notice him when rewatching older movies from time to time.

ThaVirus 01-21-2014 09:50 PM

The new Hunger Games was OK. Pretty damn cool once they're actually in the games and killing each other; pretty damn gay with all the love angle bullshit.

It reminds me of Twilight. I love this guy- Wait, no. I love that guy!..

Women. Pfft. Just stab someone and get back to the good shit.

Buehler445 01-21-2014 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10386410)
The new Hunger Games was OK. Pretty damn cool once they're actually in the games and killing each other; pretty damn gay with all the love angle bullshit.

Or naked. Just get naked.

I'd pay all manner of money to see Jennifer Lawrence naked.

Frosty 01-22-2014 01:34 PM

Quote:

Since I've read the books, I thought it was really good (and followed the book very well). That said, the third book was a lot higher in the teen angst vein so I am not sure how they are going to handle that book (since they are splitting it into two movies). There isn't really enough action to support two movies so I'm afraid the angst quotient is going to be very high.

Fire Me Boy! 01-22-2014 01:38 PM

Wife and I watched Captain Phillips last night. Very good movie. Even knowing how it all played out, it still did a great job at building suspense.

And the final scene... Hanks deserves an Oscar for that alone. Damn.

Frosty 01-22-2014 01:58 PM

The weekend before last was a HBO free preview weekend and I recorded a ton of movies I hadn't seen yet. One of them was the horror movie, "Mama". I was expecting the typical brainless horror movie full of boo scares but I was pretty impressed. It wasn't a masterpiece by any means but I thought it was suitable creepy and had some decent characters. One of the things I liked about it was all of the little details that keep happening in the background. They added a nice "oh shit" factor as the suspense builds.

Sorter 01-22-2014 02:03 PM

Learning today that his script The Hateful Eight leaked after he gave it to a small circle of actors, Quentin Tarantino tells Deadline that he’s so upset that he has decided that he will not direct that film next. So basically that means the conversation that will be circulating around town following this story with Tarantino goes from an ensemble Western to a whodunit. As in, which actor or their reps leaked the script that, as a result, is going on the shelf — literally a bookstore shelf, because Tarantino tells Deadline he will publish it first and maybe revisit the prospect of a movie in the next five years.

“I’m very, very depressed,” Tarantino said. “I finished a script, a first draft, and I didn’t mean to shoot it until next winter, a year from now. I gave it to six people, and apparently it’s gotten out today.” He learned that when his longtime agent Mike Simpson began getting phone calls from agents looking to pitch their clients for roles in the ensemble Western.

“I gave it to one of the producers on Django Unchained, Reggie Hudlin, and he let an agent come to his house and read it,” Tarantino said. “That’s a betrayal, but not crippling because the agent didn’t end up with the script. There is an ugly maliciousness to the rest of it. I gave it to three actors: Michael Madsen, Bruce Dern, Tim Roth. The one I know didn’t do this is Tim Roth. One of the others let their agent read it, and that agent has now passed it on to everyone in Hollywood. I don’t know how these ****ing agents work, but I’m not making this next. I’m going to publish it, and that’s it for now. I give it out to six people, and if I can’t trust them to that degree, then I have no desire to make it. I’ll publish it. I’m done. I’ll move on to the next thing. I’ve got 10 more where that came from.”

“I am not talking out of both sides of my mouth, because I do like the fact that everyone eventually posts it, gets it and reviews it on the net,” Tarantino said. “Frankly, I wouldn’t want it any other way. I like the fact that people like my shit, and that they go out of their way to find it and read it. But I gave it to six mother****ing people! Starting this week, I’ll be setting meetings with publishers.”

“I gave it to three mother****ing actors. We met in a place, and I put it in their hands. Reggie Hudlin’s agent never had a copy. It’s got to be either the agents of Dern or Madsen. Please name names. I could totally change my mind; I own the ****ing thing. But I can tell you, it’s not going to be the next thing I do. ”

http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/quen...l/#more-669066

Sorter 01-22-2014 02:03 PM

Looks disturbing.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0KnbqSf9eWE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fire Me Boy! 01-22-2014 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 10387549)
Looks disturbing.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0KnbqSf9eWE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Intrigued....

Sorter 01-22-2014 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10387558)
Intrigued....

Definitely.

Anyong Bluth 01-22-2014 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 10387548)
Learning today that his script The Hateful Eight leaked after he gave it to a small circle of actors, Quentin Tarantino tells Deadline that he’s so upset that he has decided that he will not direct that film next. So basically that means the conversation that will be circulating around town following this story with Tarantino goes from an ensemble Western to a whodunit. As in, which actor or their reps leaked the script that, as a result, is going on the shelf — literally a bookstore shelf, because Tarantino tells Deadline he will publish it first and maybe revisit the prospect of a movie in the next five years.

“I’m very, very depressed,” Tarantino said. “I finished a script, a first draft, and I didn’t mean to shoot it until next winter, a year from now. I gave it to six people, and apparently it’s gotten out today.” He learned that when his longtime agent Mike Simpson began getting phone calls from agents looking to pitch their clients for roles in the ensemble Western.

“I gave it to one of the producers on Django Unchained, Reggie Hudlin, and he let an agent come to his house and read it,” Tarantino said. “That’s a betrayal, but not crippling because the agent didn’t end up with the script. There is an ugly maliciousness to the rest of it. I gave it to three actors: Michael Madsen, Bruce Dern, Tim Roth. The one I know didn’t do this is Tim Roth. One of the others let their agent read it, and that agent has now passed it on to everyone in Hollywood. I don’t know how these ****ing agents work, but I’m not making this next. I’m going to publish it, and that’s it for now. I give it out to six people, and if I can’t trust them to that degree, then I have no desire to make it. I’ll publish it. I’m done. I’ll move on to the next thing. I’ve got 10 more where that came from.”

“I am not talking out of both sides of my mouth, because I do like the fact that everyone eventually posts it, gets it and reviews it on the net,” Tarantino said. “Frankly, I wouldn’t want it any other way. I like the fact that people like my shit, and that they go out of their way to find it and read it. But I gave it to six mother****ing people! Starting this week, I’ll be setting meetings with publishers.”

“I gave it to three mother****ing actors. We met in a place, and I put it in their hands. Reggie Hudlin’s agent never had a copy. It’s got to be either the agents of Dern or Madsen. Please name names. I could totally change my mind; I own the ****ing thing. But I can tell you, it’s not going to be the next thing I do. ”

http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/quen...l/#more-669066

He's pointing the finger at Bruce Dern's reps at CAA. Wouldn't surprise me, knowing that bunch over there...

Buehler445 01-22-2014 11:13 PM

Quote:

Looks disturbing.

Fuuuuuuck. That's serious shit.

Anyong Bluth 01-23-2014 01:43 AM

Quote:

Looks disturbing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10387558)
Intrigued....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 10387564)
Definitely.

I'm confused? Did he basically direct 2 films at the same time, because the shot locations and feel of the movies are very similar, and I'm pretty sure that there are a couple actors that are in both movies.

"As I Lay Dying"

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/VO68Kd2yQsE?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/VO68Kd2yQsE?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Anyone else...

Sorter 01-23-2014 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10388496)
I'm confused? Did he basically direct 2 films at the same time, because the shot locations and feel of the movies are very similar, and I'm pretty sure that there are a couple actors that are in both movies.

"As I Lay Dying"

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/VO68Kd2yQsE?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/VO68Kd2yQsE?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Anyone else...

Wouldn't surprise me.

-King- 01-23-2014 05:01 PM

Watched Monsters University yesterday. Decent movie. Thought it was more geared toward kids whereas Monsters Inc was for the whole family but I liked it.

Fire Me Boy! 01-23-2014 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10389727)
Watched Monsters University yesterday. Decent movie. Thought it was more geared toward kids whereas Monsters Inc was for the whole family but I liked it.

Ditto. We were pleasantly surprised. As Pixar sequels go, it's about 20 steps higher than Cars 2.

The Franchise 01-24-2014 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10389746)
Ditto. We were pleasantly surprised. As Pixar sequels go, it's about 20 steps higher than Cars 2.

EVERYTHING is 20 steps higher than Cars 2. That movie was so ****ing disappointing.....my kids don't even like it.

Frozen was actually pretty good, btw.

Hammock Parties 01-24-2014 11:57 PM

saw holy grail at the alamo drafthouse thursday

took home a souvenir

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...14724550_n.jpg

In58men 01-25-2014 12:58 AM

Captain Phillips is a great movie. Unbelievable what that Captain and those crew members on board went through. Very entertaining and intense.

Frosty 01-25-2014 02:08 AM

Watched Warm Bodies and Seeking a Friend For the End of the World tonight. Both were decent. Warm Bodies was an interesting take on zombies (most of it was from the POV of a zombie). Seeking a Friend wasn't quite what I was expecting but was pretty funny early on, though it eventually got depressing.

patteeu 01-25-2014 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 10392312)
Captain Phillips is a great movie. Unbelievable what that Captain and those crew members on board went through. Very entertaining and intense.

There's quite a bit of controversy about the accuracy of that movie's portrayal from the crew members. They say that the captain's arrogance and wrecklessness got them in trouble in the first place and that after the takeover he was not the heroic figure Tom Hanks comes across as.

Silock 01-25-2014 06:30 AM

Frozen - Very good

Saving Mr. Banks - Decent

Her - Very good

Compulsion - God awful, except for the lez scenes with Carrie Anne Moss and Heather Graham

Lawless - Exactly as good as you'd expect it to be, which is entirely subjective

Justice League: War - Needs Kevin Conroy. Weak storyline.

Fire Me Boy! 01-25-2014 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 10392312)

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 10392351)
There's quite a bit of controversy about the accuracy of that movie's portrayal from the crew members. They say that the captain's arrogance and wrecklessness got them in trouble in the first place and that after the takeover he was not the heroic figure Tom Hanks comes across as.

Yep. One of the big things I read was multiple notices telling them not to get within 200 miles of the Somali coast or something like that, and Phillips had them like 150 miles out for most of the ride, completely ignoring what was best for his crew. And they supposedly all agreed they wouldn't talk about what happened, then as soon as they get back on land Phillips starts talking.

In58men 01-25-2014 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 10392351)

Well.........**** you Captain Phillips!!!!!!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8nvuEw9XcuU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MrNightly 01-25-2014 10:54 AM

I watched "Prisoners" the other day. It was extremely raw and intense. I think I liked it. It still is soaking in.

Brought out the "What would I do" if my little girls were taken.

mikeyis4dcats. 01-25-2014 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douche Baggins (Post 10392291)
saw holy grail at the alamo drafthouse thursday

took home a souvenir

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...14724550_n.jpg

What's living on Summit like?

Hammock Parties 01-25-2014 03:51 PM

Stop being creepy.

Easy 6 01-25-2014 09:01 PM

Just finished Captain Phillips, most excellent, knowing the outcome doesnt affect the suspense at all, a very well done movie that wastes no time in getting down to things.

Its amazing to see how the US pulls out all of the stops for just one of its citizens.

ragedogg69 01-26-2014 03:32 PM

Quote:

DID. NOT. NEED. TO. BE. 150. MINUTES. LONG.

Seriously, I think there is an amazing hour and 45 minute in there somewhere. I found so many scenes unnecessary. The alliance was forced. The ending, well there was no ending. The movie ends right when my interest peaked. **** that.

ragedogg69 01-26-2014 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10393436)
Just finished Captain Phillips, most excellent, knowing the outcome doesnt affect the suspense at all, a very well done movie that wastes no time in getting down to things.

Its amazing to see how the US pulls out all of the stops for just one of its citizens.

amazing film. I said the same to my wife. it is not so much saving the one guy as it is sending a message to any pirates, "Dont **** with our citizens!"

ragedogg69 01-26-2014 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10392323)
Seeking a Friend wasn't quite what I was expecting but was pretty funny early on, though it eventually got depressing.

Havn't seen it, but from what I have heard, if the movies stayed with Patton Oswald, it would have been infinitely better?

Easy 6 01-26-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 10394471)
amazing film. I said the same to my wife. it is not so much saving the one guy as it is sending a message to any pirates, "Dont **** with our citizens!"

Yeah, its pretty heartwarming stuff, every time I get too conspiracy minded about our government its good to think about stuff like this or say, the Coast Guard and all of the bazillions of dollars they spend each year saving people on the high seas.

QuikSsurfer 01-26-2014 04:12 PM

Watched Captain Phillips, Vahalla Rising, and Frozen this weekend.

All were very, very good... Especially Vahalla Rising.

Easy 6 01-26-2014 04:16 PM

VR is killer, like a blood soaked Viking dream, Madds Mikkelsen (sp?) is great in that.

nstygma 01-26-2014 04:30 PM

Yes I really liked Valhalla Rising as well. Know of anything else similar?

Anyong Bluth 01-26-2014 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstygma (Post 10394548)
Yes I really liked Valhalla Rising as well. Know of anything else similar?

Michael Kohlhaas
- its a foreign language movie and I've got a copy, but yet to watch it, might be a long the same lines- Mads is in it also.
Brief synopsis:

During the 16th-century horse dealer Michael Kohlhaas has just purchased new horses and intends to bring them home. But when he has to pass a border, a part of his property is taken away from him on behest of a greedy local nobleman. When his legal protest proves futile, the situation escalates and Koolhaas turns into a lawless desperado.

I believe it's based on a true story.

Not really related to VR, but
Mads is in a movie with Shia LeBouf and Rachel Even Wood called The Necessary Death of Charlie Countryman, I found interesting, and after letting it sink in thought it was good. It all depends on if you are in the I can't stand LeBouf camp, but I don't mind him.

The Hunt is a great movie.

He was also awesome in A Royal Affair - historical movie about the enlightenment against Christian suppression of free speech back in the day of Royal monarchies, also true about a famous Dutch patriarch.

chiefzilla1501 01-26-2014 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 10394476)
Havn't seen it, but from what I have heard, if the movies stayed with Patton Oswald, it would have been infinitely better?

Don't know. But Steve Carrell was a strong casting choice.

This was one of the more underrated movies from last year. I think it was just a little offputting to some because the movie takes a strange turn in direction from a dark comedy and suddenly launches you into a romantic comedy. But I think the first and last half hour of that movie are really, really terrific.

Anyong Bluth 01-26-2014 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10394653)

This was one of the more underrated movies from last year. I think it was just a little offputting to some because the movie takes a strange turn in direction from a dark comedy and suddenly launches you into a romantic comedy. But I think the first and last half hour of that movie are really, really terrific.

It's not a bad movie, but it does deserve fair criticism for being a bit disjointed. I still think that it has plenty of good and humorous points and enjoyed it. Not sure it's a movie I would revisit and watch again, but it worth a viewing.

Anyong Bluth 01-26-2014 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10394653)

With respect to Carrell- check out The Way Way Back. Now that was a very good movie, and he takes on a very different role than you'd typically see out of him. Rockwell is money in it too!

nstygma 01-26-2014 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10394598)
Not really related to VR, but
Mads is in a movie with Shia LeBouf and Rachel Even Wood called The Necessary Death of Charlie Countryman, I found interesting, and after letting it sink in thought it was good. It all depends on if you are in the I can't stand LeBouf camp, but I don't mind him.

I just watched this a few days ago, entertaining enough. I knew I recognized Mads but didn't even make that connection, or that he's also in Casino Royale. I'll check out Kohlhaas.

ThaVirus 01-26-2014 07:10 PM

Just watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes on FX. I really, really like that movie and am extremely excited for the sequel coming out this year.

On topic, what's the general consensus of the Wahlberg Planet of the Apes?

Anyong Bluth 01-26-2014 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10394832)
Just watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes on FX. I really, really like that movie and am extremely excited for the sequel coming out this year.

Watching apes throw feces at each other is a more productive and entertaining use of your time than watching the Wahlberg version of PotA. It's actually got a decent cast with guys like Giamatti in it, and I don't blame the on screen talent- this movie was a failure from the start with a shit script.

Buehler445 01-26-2014 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10394832)

I'm not sure what I think about the new PotA. Franco's performance was so ****ing good, I'm not sure what the movie is going to be like without his performance. Hopefully it is good and not a mindless action flick.

Whalberg flick isn't good isn't real bad. It's worth a watch, although the ape faces are plastic. It makes it look damn hokey.

chiefzilla1501 01-26-2014 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10394698)
With respect to Carrell- check out The Way Way Back. Now that was a very good movie, and he takes on a very different role than you'd typically see out of him. Rockwell is money in it too!

I'll have to check it out. I always enjoy watching comic actors outside of their comfort zone. Will Ferrell was great in "Everything Must Go" and "Stranger than Fiction." Sandler was terrific in "Punch Drunk Love." Patton Oswalt in "Big Fan" and "Young Adult." And of course... Bill Murray, in too many movies to mention.

Hammock Parties 01-26-2014 10:08 PM

I watched Sex and the City. Good flick.

ThaVirus 01-26-2014 10:16 PM

Oh yeah, I also finally watched Tombstone. It was really good but had some super cheesy montages.

Doc Holliday rocked out in that movie. "Evidently Ringo's an educated man.. Now I really hate him."

Silock 01-26-2014 10:53 PM

Freezer with Dylan McDermott.

Don't waste your time.

Silock 01-26-2014 11:23 PM

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x1abp8f" allowfullscreen></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1abp8f_jonah-hill-him-spoof-of-the-movie-her-snl-1-25-14_fun" target="_blank">Jonah Hill - Him (Spoof Of The Movie Her...</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/IdolxMuzic" target="_blank">IdolxMuzic</a></i>

Easy 6 01-26-2014 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10395455)
Oh yeah, I also finally watched Tombstone. It was really good but had some super cheesy montages.

Doc Holliday rocked out in that movie. "Evidently Ringo's an educated man.. Now I really hate him."

:thumb: bout time, you're now a better American for it.

Baby Lee 01-27-2014 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10395361)
I'll have to check it out. I always enjoy watching comic actors outside of their comfort zone. Will Ferrell was great in "Everything Must Go" and "Stranger than Fiction." Sandler was terrific in "Punch Drunk Love." Patton Oswalt in "Big Fan" and "Young Adult." And of course... Bill Murray, in too many movies to mention.

It was well made, and I LOVED The Descendants, but this one didn't really grab me. My family wasn't like that in any way, not that it's better or worse.

So I was like 'well, that's a story.'

The family in The Descendants said a lot more about society to me.

nstygma 01-27-2014 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10395661)
It was well made, and I LOVED The Descendants

Haole was mentioned in the movie a few times, did you understand any of that?

Baby Lee 01-27-2014 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstygma (Post 10395667)
Haole was mentioned in the movie a few times, did you understand any of that?

It's about caucasians coming there and still being foreigners, culturally.

I think that have something similar in their language for Blacks and Asians, even foreign food and livestock.

-King- 01-27-2014 08:10 AM

Watched 2 guns. Pretty dumb movie.
Posted via Mobile Device

ragedogg69 01-27-2014 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10395755)
Watched 2 guns. Pretty dumb movie.
Posted via Mobile Device

I thought it was dumb fun.

Bowser 01-27-2014 10:27 AM

This is going to sound strange, but Snow White and the Huntsman was actually pretty decent. Enjoyed it more than I thought I might.

patteeu 01-27-2014 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10396015)
This is going to sound strange, but Snow White and the Huntsman was actually pretty decent. Enjoyed it more than I thought I might.

I had high hopes after watching the trailer and was disappointed. If I had gone in with lower expectations, it might have helped.

Bowser 01-27-2014 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 10396105)
I had high hopes after watching the trailer and was disappointed. If I had gone in with lower expectations, it might have helped.

Maybe that was it. I didn't know what to expect, and ended up enjoying it.

Buehler445 01-27-2014 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10396015)

I'd have enjoyed it FAR more if Kristen Stewart wasn't the lead. Christ she's terrible. I ranted about it in the thread about it and caught some flack about not expecting it because she did pretty much the same thing in the twilight flicks. I then had to retaliate by stacking shit on them for actually watching twilight.

Anyway, I thought Hemsworth and Theron killed it. Production was good. I liked the story. Everything was excellent. Except Stewart. She is so so so shitty.

Bowser 01-27-2014 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 10396182)
I'd have enjoyed it FAR more if Kristen Stewart wasn't the lead. Christ she's terrible. I ranted about it in the thread about it and caught some flack about not expecting it because she did pretty much the same thing in the twilight flicks. I then had to retaliate by stacking shit on them for actually watching twilight.

Anyway, I thought Hemsworth and Theron killed it. Production was good. I liked the story. Everything was excellent. Except Stewart. She is so so so shitty.

I'll give you that - I am definitely not a fan of her acting. And that she went from mouth breathing scaredy cat to Joan of Arc in the drop of a hat had me and my daughter both chuckling. Agree with all else. The scenes were top notch. They did a great job bringing the story to "real life".

PunkinDrublic 01-27-2014 12:55 PM

Went and saw Nebraska. Nice little Indy comedy in black and white. It had its moments but I'd wait until it came out on netflix.

Halfcan 01-27-2014 02:24 PM

Lone Survivor was pretty good. Very intense and a lot of action.

-King- 01-27-2014 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 10395947)
I thought it was dumb fun.

It was kind of fun, but it was too long and insanely nonsensical.

Baby Lee 01-28-2014 09:59 AM

Got around to The Fighter finally.

Ho-Lee-Chit.

Bale was great, Marky Mark was great, Amy Adams was great, Melissa Leo was great.

But this had the luck of a great story and great writers and directors to bring it to life.

I think it was actually all the small touches. Amy Adams being hot as ****, yet a little pot belly [sorry Omaha] to make her human. The little look she gave when Micky stood up for her at the bar and she was like 'OK, worth a shot.' Done a million times and that's the best one ever. Go back and look. How Dicky can legitimately both the life of the party and the bane of everyone's existence. Micky's portrayal of when he was a wall flower and when he was assertive, and why,

And OMG, the way Dickey subtly fades back with a look of love and amazement at his brother at the end as others gather around, then him tearing up about the new pride of Lowell a few seconds later.

And that doesn't even get into the fight mechanics. After watching about 80-100 HBO fights, including a number of Mickey's, that was the most realistic re-enactments I've ever seen in a film.

A big story that gets all the small things right. A Masterpiece.

Buehler445 01-28-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10398315)
Got around to The Fighter finally.

Ho-Lee-Chit.

Bale was great, Marky Mark was great, Amy Adams was great, Melissa Leo was great.

But this had the luck of a great story and great writers and directors to bring it to life.

I think it was actually all the small touches. Amy Adams being hot as ****, yet a little pot belly [sorry Omaha] to make her human. The little look she gave when Micky stood up for her at the bar and she was like 'OK, worth a shot.' Done a million times and that's the best one ever. Go back and look. How Dicky can legitimately both the life of the party and the bane of everyone's existence. Mickey's [sp] portrayal of when he was a wall flower and when he was assertive, and why,

And OMG, the way Dickey subtly fades back with a lot of love and amazement at his brother at the end as others gather around, then him tearing up about the new pride of Lowell a few seconds later.

And that doesn't even get into the fight mechanics. After watching about 80-100 HBO fights, including a number of Mickey's, that was the most realistic re-enactments I've ever seen in a film.

A big story that gets all the small things right. A Masterpiece.

I can't believe you waited so long. Great freaking movie.

Ceej 01-30-2014 04:11 PM

So, V/H/S. WTF?

Am I missing something or was this like a new age Tales From the Hood?

chiefzilla1501 01-30-2014 04:19 PM

So a few obscure movies on Netflix Instant.

Tetro is a Coppola movie. Didn't really get into it. Also saw Crystal Fairy starring Michael Cera. A really bizarre movie -- one of those movies where nothing really happens, but you find yourself kind of intrigued anyway.

ragedogg69 01-31-2014 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceej (Post 10402906)
So, V/H/S. WTF?

Am I missing something or was this like a new age Tales From the Hood?

just an anthology. I enjoyed all of the stories except for one. The first and last ones are the best IMO. Works best if viewed around Halloween. VHS2 came out and was more of the same. Tried to develop why he had these tapes.

Ceej 01-31-2014 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 10403627)
just an anthology. I enjoyed all of the stories except for one. The first and last ones are the best IMO. Works best if viewed around Halloween. VHS2 came out and was more of the same. Tried to develop why he had these tapes.

I enjoyed it. I just wasn't sure if I had missed something.

I liked most of the stories - the webcam and young couple vacationing were probably my two favorite.

ragedogg69 01-31-2014 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceej (Post 10403710)
I enjoyed it. I just wasn't sure if I had missed something.

I liked most of the stories - the webcam and young couple vacationing were probably my two favorite.

funny. i loved the Halloween party one and the shy girl one. Can we agree the digital monster one is the ****ing worst?

Anyong Bluth 01-31-2014 03:48 PM

Gonna watch it tonight, but have heard really good reviews for Grand Piano. I'll update after I have a chance to watch it.

Ceej 01-31-2014 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 10404410)
funny. i loved the Halloween party one and the shy girl one. Can we agree the digital monster one is the ****ing worst?

I enjoyed most of them. I forgot about the digital vampire, bush chick. That was pretty ****ed up.

The digital guy was okay, I guess. None of them were terrible.

KcMizzou 01-31-2014 09:34 PM

Just watched "Memento" on Netflix. So good.

If Christopher Nolan's ever made a bad movie, I haven't seen it.

KcMizzou 01-31-2014 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 10403627)

The first was the best, IMO. Really date rapey at first.. I really cringed at that. But I suppose that's the point. They need to deserve what's coming to them. And...

Spoiler!

"I like you."

KcMizzou 01-31-2014 09:46 PM

Another fun anthology horror movie.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wUqsXvBAqRY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ceej 01-31-2014 09:46 PM

Last Vegas was pretty good.

Bad Grandpa will be watched tomorrow.

listopencil 01-31-2014 09:52 PM

I finally got around to watching Zombie Ass: Toilet of the Dead. It's great if you like cheesy action, disgusting zombies, fart/shit jokes and Japanese soft core porn.

Pablo 02-01-2014 01:50 AM

Captain Phillips was engaging, save the last twenty minutes or so that seemed to take an hour.

All things considered the wife and I liked it.

Fish 02-01-2014 10:38 AM

Homefront. Pretty meh. Writing was horrid. Plot confusion. Shit happens that just makes you point at the TV and say "Now why would they..."

Pretty forgettable...

Ceej 02-01-2014 11:33 AM

Bad Grandpa wasn't nearly as funny as I thought it was going to be.

It has its moments.

Easy 6 02-01-2014 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 10405078)
Just watched "Memento" on Netflix. So good.

If Christopher Nolan's ever made a bad movie, I haven't seen it.

Yup, the man is the best visionary out there right now.