ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Report: NFL tested technology to track 1st downs during games including Super Bowl (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=352576)

DaFace 03-01-2024 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasselGotPeedOn (Post 17423901)
Put sensors in the players knees...

And their elbows? And their shins? And their asses?

Dartgod 03-01-2024 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrunkBassGuitar (Post 17423875)
that seems kinda....pointless?

like how many first downs are taken away or given because the chains were put in the wrong place?

I don't get why people don't understand this. It eliminates the need for a chain gang and the time it takes to bring them out on the field to measure.

CasselGotPeedOn 03-01-2024 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 17423935)

Put em everywhere

Womble 03-01-2024 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 17423940)
I don't get why people don't understand this. It eliminates the need for a chain gang and the time it takes to bring them out on the field to measure.

I thought Chain Gang was Yung Joka's rap posse.

lcarus 03-01-2024 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 17423700)
Didn't seem to help late in the game when they shorted KC on spots several times down the stretch.

The critical 4th down run by Mahomes shouldn't have even been necessary. Im glad it all worked out the way it did though.

-King- 03-01-2024 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 17423935)

You also have to put sensors on every part of the ball too in that case. A sensor just in the middle of the ball does no good. This is another case of people thinking they have the solutions to something while really not even thinking about the complexities of it all.

Imon Yourside 03-01-2024 11:51 AM

How well does it work with deflated footballs? :)

seamonster 03-01-2024 01:03 PM

Quote:

It's part of the show. Every time they run the chains out they zoom-in on dopey fans and the coaching staff. It's entertainment...But I think they could probably create some kind of machine-learning model that can gauge (with greater than 98% accuracy and low probability of false association) the exact spot that a player goes down. Wouldn't require geo-transmitting chips. Just cameras. And I'd bet that they could perfect it to where they wouldn't need nine thousand cameras everywhere. And if I had to guess that's what they're already doing.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-01-2024 01:16 PM

It's criminal that they and MLB still use pre historic ways to officiate games

ghak99 03-01-2024 01:29 PM

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chor...giffvrsd_c.gif

TinyEvel 03-01-2024 01:35 PM

I actually prefer the old school way of having the refs decide. It adds to the variability and human element of the game, plus gives us something to complain about and the challenge flag, etc.

However.

If I was a tech billionaire I'd be working on developing a two-way sensor mesh like a fabric. Put it in the uniforms, put it in the lining of the ball, put it under the turf like carpet padding. Then all that stuff is sensored and trackable: knee down, ball nose location, incomplete pass touched the ground, etc.

DrunkBassGuitar 03-01-2024 02:25 PM

Quote:

You'd still have to have the chaingang though at least holding the markers. It would yeah eliminate the measurement but do they **** it up all that often? Bad spots fall on the ref and this doesn't change that. It might save some time over the course for the game but shit you know that's just gonna be more commercials