ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Let’s look back at the Chiefs Week 3 matchup with the Ravens (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=329345)

Oh Snap 02-16-2020 11:01 PM

As a football fan, I agree on the lamar/mahomes rivalry being great for the sport. As a chiefs fan, I hope it's just the mahomes show. **** everyone else

But excellent write up btw!

RunKC 02-17-2020 08:45 AM

Poor DeShaun Watson. If Patrick Mahomes didn’t exist, he’d be with Andy Reid having a chance to rule the AFC. Even if Pat went to his 2nd most logical place that would have picked him (Saints), he would have been in this conference with Lamar and a big gap below that.

Instead he’s in Houston with a seriously ****ed up management team that will hold him back as long as he’s there.

duncan_idaho 02-17-2020 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oh Snap (Post 14799164)
As a football fan, I agree on the lamar/mahomes rivalry being great for the sport. As a chiefs fan, I hope it's just the mahomes show. **** everyone else

But excellent write up btw!

To me, I think Jackson and Watson are the current top contenders for true rivals for Mahomes. They’re in the AFC, on playoff teams, etc. But I can’t see Jackson progressing enough to REALLY make it a compelling rivalry. He has to win one at some point, and I don’t think it’s happening this year, either.

If I’m the Ravens, I’m drafting pass rushers and outside WR. Brown is a playmaker but they need more guys who can run 9 and deep post routes.

If teams are going to play Jackson to force throws outside the middle of the field, the Ravens need to counter with speedy receivers who can make people pay for leaving minimal deep passing coverage. Guys with big catch radii also help.

Of course, that makes it tough for the Ravens to also play 3 TE sets.

I think the best bets for a real rivalry aren’t playing in the NFL yet. Tua Tagavaloa has a shot, though I don’t love him. Burrow will have a shot. But I think the NFL’s dream would be for the Raiders to somehow be bad enough to have #1 and land Trevor Lawrence.

DRM08 02-17-2020 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14799328)
Poor DeShaun Watson. If Patrick Mahomes didn’t exist, he’d be with Andy Reid having a chance to rule the AFC. Even if Pat went to his 2nd most logical place that would have picked him (Saints), he would have been in this conference with Lamar and a big gap below that.

Instead he’s in Houston with a seriously ****ed up management team that will hold him back as long as he’s there.

Seems he doesn’t care. Just wants the money. His agent has already leaked that they will demand more from Houston than what Mahomes is able to get in KC. Houston seems like a flawed team even with Watson’s rookie discount. It won’t get easier for them after he gets top dollar.

BigRedChief 02-17-2020 10:33 AM

I liked it. Nice breakdown.:thumb:

Chiefspants 02-17-2020 11:46 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 14799355)
If I’m the Ravens, I’m drafting pass rushers and outside WR. Brown is a playmaker but they need more guys who can run 9 and deep post routes.

If teams are going to play Jackson to force throws outside the middle of the field, the Ravens need to counter with speedy receivers who can make people pay for leaving minimal deep passing coverage. Guys with big catch radii also help.

Part of why I want the Ravens to succeed (though not on the level of the Chiefs, of course), has been from my interactions with the Ravens fan base in different pockets of the Internet. It was amazing to watch their subreddit legitimately celebrate Mahomes and Andy’s victories (as well as Suggs) and then immediately acknowledge how their roster needs work if they’re going to compete with Mahomes. Pass rushers and WR was at the top of their list. Here’s some screenshots I pulled recently (for some reason I’ve enjoyed reading other fan reactions to our SB win). The fanbase even rightfully concluded Mahomes was the true SB MVP over Williams.

bowener 02-17-2020 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 14799101)
Mayfield and Darnold could still emerge with better coaching around them.

If the Jets brass are a bit less reeruned next offseason they will dump Gase into the sewer and hire Bieniemy. Same exact thing can be said for the Texans as well.

Chiefspants 02-17-2020 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 14799702)
If the Jets brass are a bit less reeruned next offseason they will dump Gase into the sewer and hire Bieniemy. Same exact thing can be said for the Texans as well.

By all accounts, the Texans have locked themselves up with Big Brain O’ B indefinitely. They’ve traded a ton of draft capital and Watson (from all accounts) wants Mahomes money. With the holes they have on both sides of their roster they have a steep climb to stay elite.

My guess is that they’ll hang around 9-7/10-6 purgatory for a while and hope Watson can be good enough to make plays happen despite his line and lead them on a playoff run. So far they’ve always been left hoping the chips could fall just right for them to go on a run - a feeling we knew all too well before the Mahomes era.