ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Brain Tumor (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=294345)

Bewbies 11-12-2015 06:31 PM

High 5 from me Sacc...

If y'all are into podcasts Tim Ferriss has one about ketogenic diets and glioblastomas.

Fascinating stuff, interviews a pharmacologist from USF..

Saccopoo 11-12-2015 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 11878783)
High 5 from me Sacc...

If y'all are into podcasts Tim Ferriss has one about ketogenic diets and glioblastomas.

Fascinating stuff, interviews a pharmacologist from USF..

I'll check it out after I finish the last of these donuts I bought this morning.

Truth.

But since I was vegan and low carb for a year and a half and still got stuck with this, I'm not really totally sure about the validity of the ketogenic diet in terms of relating to brain cancer. I'll check it out though, so thanks for the info.

Bewbies 11-12-2015 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 11878797)
I'll check it out after I finish the last of these donuts I bought this morning.

Truth.

But since I was vegan and low carb for a year and a half and still got stuck with this, I'm not really totally sure about the validity of the ketogenic diet in terms of relating to brain cancer. I'll check it out though, so thanks for the info.

I'm with you. When my brother was diagnosed he had friends from church ask him what sin he was living with that caused God to give him cancer.

I don't know if a diet can have much effect, but the research is pretty wild.

Buehler445 11-13-2015 01:24 AM

Sounds like you are handling the chemo well.

All the best bud.

Saccopoo 12-05-2015 04:30 PM

Just finished the first run/series of radiation treatments and chemo on Thursday. Seven weeks, 33 treatments of radiation and chemo pills every day during that time.

Worked full time through the whole deal (including a lot of 11+ hour days) and never really got hit with fatigue or nausea. (I did take the week of Thanksgiving off to spend it with my daughter.)

BigMeatballDave 12-05-2015 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 11929005)
Just finished the first run/series of radiation treatments and chemo on Thursday. Seven weeks, 33 treatments of radiation and chemo pills every day during that time.

I did that last year. It kicked my ass.

BigMeatballDave 12-05-2015 06:07 PM

There is no known cause for Gliomas. None.

BigMeatballDave 12-05-2015 06:09 PM

What is your age, Sac?

Saccopoo 12-05-2015 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballDave (Post 11929126)
There is no known cause for Gliomas. None.

They hypothesize that it's stem cells that all of a sudden jump into hyperdrive and trigger the nerve cells into malignancy. But, as you said, they have no real idea.

Oncologist said that they wouldn't have even have noticed anything 10 months before my initial episode that sent me to the hospital in the first place.

Saccopoo 12-05-2015 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballDave (Post 11929129)
What is your age, Sac?

After the radiation and chemo?

I approximate 1034.

Drivers license says 48.

The 23 year old I was banging last night thought I was 30.

Somewhere in-between I imagine.

kccrow 12-05-2015 06:16 PM

Good to hear the chemo is treating you pretty well Sac. My mom gets knocked on her ass with it (pancreatic cancer). Everyone is different with it. Hopefully its working. As for the diet, pot brownies would be in my regimen. As was said, research and recommendations are all over the board. All my mom's doc says is eat what she can handle and try to keep her sugar under control. By the way, how's your immune system holding up with all this?

BigMeatballDave 12-05-2015 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 11929131)
After the radiation and chemo?

I approximate 1034.

Drivers license says 48.

The 23 year old I was banging last night thought I was 30.

Somewhere in-between I imagine.

48?

Damn. You're an iron horse. LOL

I'm 45. Last year I was fatigued a lot. There was no way I could work a full time job.

2112 12-05-2015 06:19 PM

Hang in there bro. God speed!

Saccopoo 12-05-2015 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 11929147)
Good to hear the chemo is treating you pretty well Sac. My mom gets knocked on her ass with it (pancreatic cancer). Everyone is different with it. Hopefully its working. As for the diet, pot brownies would be in my regimen. As was said, research and recommendations are all over the board. All my mom's doc says is eat what she can handle and try to keep her sugar under control. By the way, how's your immune system holding up with all this?

I never lost my appetite. In fact, I think I put on 8 lbs. over the seven weeks just because I was worried about it dropping.

I did notice I started to gravitate towards sugary foods towards the end of the seven weeks, but, what the hell - I figured that a couple of cookies wasn't going to do any more harm than what I already had going.

Immune system was fine. Was taking some such antibiotic during radiation just to be careful. Doctor said that my organ functions were all perfect through the whole deal. Said she wouldn't have known that I was doing chemo and radiation for Stage 4 brain cancer if she didn't have the charts in front of her.

Saccopoo 12-05-2015 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballDave (Post 11929151)
48?

Damn. You're an iron horse. LOL

I'm 45. Last year I was fatigued a lot. There was no way I could work a full time job.

Actually, I think working helped me a ton. There were a couple of times that my eyes just shut, so I would go sit down for about 15 minutes and that would cover it for the rest of the day.

I think keeping moving and walking and everything helped keep my body up and shit flowing through.

Stayed totally overly hydrated through the whole process as well, which I think helped a lot.

Didn't drink any alcohol (except for last night - as I was celebrating my coming off my chemo/radiation with this ****ing smoking 23 year old and wanted a bit of a drunk on). Don't smoke, don't do drugs. Eat pretty clean all the time. (Except for that yearly McRib fest.) I also have the constitution of a draft ox.

It all helped I think.