ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports *** Official Youth, High School, College and International Wrestling Thread *** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268908)

rico 03-21-2015 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11396914)
He actually wants to be a creative writing teacher for deaf students. He lost all of the hearing in his left ear this year.

Nice! That's pretty admirable. Sounds like a great kid!

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-21-2015 09:51 PM

Ok, So after some research it appears that Cox weighed in at 95.8 KG in a FS tournament last spring (about 211 pounds). Weight limit was 97kg so he made it comfortably.

Some notable weights of National qualifier Heavies in various tournaments last spring

Marsden (OSU)- 262
Coon (Mich)- 261
Jensen (Nebraska)- 250
Cabell (UNI)- 222
Dejournette (App st)- 252
Medberry (Wisc)- 253
Mellon (Mizzou) -250
Stolfi (Bucknell)- 244
Tavanello (tOSU)- 250
Vollaro (Lehigh)- 269
Walz (VTech)- 250
Kettler (George Mason)- cut to 275
Deul (Binghamton)- 258
Gwiazdowski (NCState)- 260
Kroells (Minn)- 248
Black (ILL)- 263
Ryan (Colombia)- 254

Id say of all the Heavies, Kroells has the biggest problem with being oversized. He still placed 8th though. Seems like the magic number for Cox would be to get to 245. Not sure if he could get there or maintain it, but I like his chances even if a bit undersized. He could be like Kerry McCoy (yeah yeah comparison because he's black)

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-21-2015 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11396909)
On the podcasts/radio stuff I did to cover our wrestling, I coined him "Hercules Holloway." Built like a Greek God. Google him.

MU needs to use the Miklus bros as sources to land some of these Southeast Polk kids...my God that team has some studs.

It appears that they are with Andersen. I'm not too familiar with him though.

rico 03-21-2015 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 11396932)
It appears that they are with Andersen. I'm not too familiar with him though.

Anderson and Marnin were freaking studs this year. Andersen really stood out. Nice dude, too...almost too nice. Type of dude who would offer a hand to lift his guy up and pay him on the back after wrassle-raping him.

rico 03-21-2015 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 11396930)
Ok, So after some research it appears that Cox weighed in at 95.8 KG in a FS tournament last spring (about 211 pounds). Weight limit was 97kg so he made it comfortably.

Some notable weights of National qualifier Heavies in various tournaments last spring

Marsden (OSU)- 262
Coon (Mich)- 261
Jensen (Nebraska)- 250
Cabell (UNI)- 222
Dejournette (App st)- 252
Medberry (Wisc)- 253
Mellon (Mizzou) -250
Stolfi (Bucknell)- 244
Tavanello (tOSU)- 250
Vollaro (Lehigh)- 269
Walz (VTech)- 250
Kettler (George Mason)- cut to 275
Deul (Binghamton)- 258
Gwiazdowski (NCState)- 260
Kroells (Minn)- 248
Black (ILL)- 263
Ryan (Colombia)- 254

Id say of all the Heavies, Kroells has the biggest problem with being oversized. He still placed 8th though. Seems like the magic number for Cox would be to get to 245. Not sure if he could get there or maintain it, but I like his chances even if a bit undersized. He could be like Kerry McCoy (yeah yeah comparison because he's black)

I stand corrected on my thinking earlier... That is some interesting stuff. I think J'Den would do just fine at HWT.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-21-2015 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11397028)
I stand corrected on my thinking earlier... That is some interesting stuff. I think J'Den would do just fine at HWT.

Well it wasn't too long ago we had immovable fatties like Cole Konrad and Dustin Fox winning championships. I think Sam Stoll is going to try and bring back the fat for Iowa next year.
I think some of it has to do with the popularity of football. If you're the type to have to lose weight to make 285, you're likely a football player and not a wrestler.

As far as adding a weight, id rather see one added in the middle weights since participation numbers support that thinking. But if we could bump 197 up to 210, id be ok with that. Someone 225-230 could reasonably get there. Something like:

rico 03-22-2015 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 11397060)
Well it wasn't too long ago we had immovable fatties like Cole Konrad and Dustin Fox winning championships. I think Sam Stoll is going to try and bring back the fat for Iowa next year.
I think some of it has to do with the popularity of football. If you're the type to have to lose weight to make 285, you're likely a football player and not a wrestler.

As far as adding a weight, id rather see one added in the middle weights since participation numbers support that thinking. But if we could bump 197 up to 210, id be ok with that. Someone 225-230 could reasonably get there. Something like:

I like that idea a lot.

What about the tiny dudes who have a difficult time gaining enough weight to wrestle 125? They are out there. Do you think a 118 lb class would work? I wrestled in college with a guy who was a complete badass and no matter what he did, he couldn't outgrow 115 lbs. He hit the weights religiously, went on weight gaining diets, etc....he could just not overcome the fact that he was 4'10 and never going to reach 126. And he was GOOD. One of the hardest workers in the room, for...sure. One of the best, most physical wrestlers. He was just too small. If there was a weight suitable for him, he would be 3rd tier D1 material... A guy who would probably make some noise and maybe win some matches at nationals. Instead, he was 2nd string D3 at 125 his entire career, weighing 116 on full feed and won 65% or so of his matches. Sad stuff...he had so much heart.

rico 03-22-2015 01:29 AM

Btw, Hamas... Do you think wrestling is something you could become a fan of of you learned the ins and outs of it? It'd be cool as hell having your smarts (when you accumulate it wrestling-wise) in this thread for sure!

rico 03-22-2015 02:26 AM

Btw, fun little random fact. When my youngest brother was a 3rd grader, he wrestled this stud from Fort Dodge in the semis at AAU state in the 3rd and 4th grade division. A couple matches later in that same round, on that same mat....one of the most highly anticipated match ups in recent AAU memory took place. It was the semis match between Cory Clark and Thomas Gilman as 8th graders. These two butted heads a few times in youth. Gilman won...stalled his butt off. For those of you who don't know, the significance of this match was that these two are Iowa's current 125 (Gilman) and 133 (Clark) tandem. They fought all year last year for the 125 spot, which ultimately went to Clark.

Thought that was a fun fact because Gilman wrestled HS in Nebraska. Many people don't realize that he was an Iowa boy from Council Bluffs who went to a Catholic school/wrestling powerhouse (Omaha Skutt) in high school. He was expected by most to wrestle for Council Bluffs Lewis Central...which is 3A just like the school Clark went to (Southeast Polk). Lewis Central was a powerhouse in my day...kicked out studs like the Paulson twins (ISU), Brandon Mason (OK State), BLake Anderson (Iowa), David Kjeldgaard (Okie State), etc. Clark won 4 titles in Iowa...I THINK Gilman did the same in Nebraska. Wonder how things would have gone if Gilman stayed in Iowa... Crazy to think about.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-22-2015 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11397090)
I like that idea a lot.

What about the tiny dudes who have a difficult time gaining enough weight to wrestle 125? They are out there. Do you think a 118 lb class would work? I wrestled in college with a guy who was a complete badass and no matter what he did, he couldn't outgrow 115 lbs. He hit the weights religiously, went on weight gaining diets, etc....he could just not overcome the fact that he was 4'10 and never going to reach 126. And he was GOOD. One of the hardest workers in the room, for...sure. One of the best, most physical wrestlers. He was just too small. If there was a weight suitable for him, he would be 3rd tier D1 material... A guy who would probably make some noise and maybe win some matches at nationals. Instead, he was 2nd string D3 at 125 his entire career, weighing 116 on full feed and won 65% or so of his matches. Sad stuff...he had so much heart.

I think a watered down weight like 118 would be bad for the sport. I know wrestling wants to be the sport that includes everybody, but i don't share that line of thinking. I can't imagine how hard it would be to recruit a 118 pounder that wasn't killing himself to make weight. I know there are a few good 113 pound seniors this year, but some of them actually do fill out eventually. Matt Kyler and Jordan Conaway come to mind. I felt the same way when people complained about moving 103 to 106. God forbid your 95 pound freshman wrestler has to wrestle JV for a year. If it means less forfeits, it's good for the sport. Another example is having an 88 pound weight class for 14/15 year olds at the Cadet level. When there are as many 106 pounders as there are 88 94/100 combined, why do we still have 88?

rico 03-22-2015 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 11397213)
I think a watered down weight like 118 would be bad for the sport. I know wrestling wants to be the sport that includes everybody, but i don't share that line of thinking. I can't imagine how hard it would be to recruit a 118 pounder that wasn't killing himself to make weight. I know there are a few good 113 pound seniors this year, but some of them actually do fill out eventually. Matt Kyler and Jordan Conaway come to mind. I felt the same way when people complained about moving 103 to 106. God forbid your 95 pound freshman wrestler has to wrestle JV for a year. If it means less forfeits, it's good for the sport. Another example is having an 88 pound weight class for 14/15 year olds at the Cadet level. When there are as many 106 pounders as there are 88 94/100 combined, why do we still have 88?

The high school weight classes at the lower weights has always baffled me. Back in the day, 98 lbs was the lightest weight in Iowa. And I meet former 98 lbers all the time. I don't hear very many stories of teams having difficulty filling that slot back in the 70's/80's. However, the minimum weight increased to 103 and now to 106...and many schools have a hell of a time occupying the 106 lb weight class... Have people gotten smaller or were the scales different back then? Not likely, but I can't help, but wonder if the coaches were a bit sketchier back then when it came to weigh ins. When I was a Freshman and Sophomore in high school, we weighed in, first thing in the morning. The only thing necessary that had to be present for a successful weigh in was a certified coach had to be present and witness the kids weighing in. Our own coach weighed us in...and he was honest about it. I've always wondered how many coaches around the state cheated a bit on it...and I wonder if you saw more 98 lbers back in the day because of it. We didn't move to the "weigh in an hour prior to competition in front of both team's coaches" system until I was a Junior...crazy to think about.

GloryDayz 03-22-2015 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11397267)
The high school weight classes at the lower weights has always baffled me. Back in the day, 98 lbs was the lightest weight in Iowa. And I meet former 98 lbers all the time. I don't hear very many stories of teams having difficulty filling that slot back in the 70's/80's. However, the minimum weight increased to 103 and now to 106...and many schools have a hell of a time occupying the 106 lb weight class... Have people gotten smaller or were the scales different back then? Not likely, but I can't help, but wonder if the coaches were a bit sketchier back then when it came to weigh ins. When I was a Freshman and Sophomore in high school, we weighed in, first thing in the morning. The only thing necessary that had to be present for a successful weigh in was a certified coach had to be present and witness the kids weighing in. Our own coach weighed us in...and he was honest about it. I've always wondered how many coaches around the state cheated a bit on it...and I wonder if you saw more 98 lbers back in the day because of it. We didn't move to the "weigh in an hour prior to competition in front of both team's coaches" system until I was a Junior...crazy to think about.

I tend to agree. Unlike myself, my sons wrestle/wrestle were always in the "25th percentile" of size and weight, so wrestling really helped them not get crushed by every fat and overweight kid in many other sports. Yeah, AND I EVEN HELPED start the local youth football league, AND coach them both in baseball too. So I know and love all the sports, so I think I know where I'm being fair, but wrestling is the one sport where size and weight are taken out of the mix for the most part.

rico 03-22-2015 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 11397287)
I tend to agree. Unlike myself, my sons wrestle/wrestle were always in the "25th percentile" of size and weight, so wrestling really helped them not get crushed by every fat and overweight kid in many other sports. Yeah, AND I EVEN HELPED start the local youth football league, AND coach them both in baseball too. So I know and love all the sports, so I think I know where I'm being fair, but wrestling is the one sport where size and weight are taken out of the mix for the most part.

Yep... one of the cool things about wrestling is that it appeals to some of the kids who firmly believe that they have been overlooked for whatever reason in other sports, and wrestling works for them for they have more control over their destiny.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-22-2015 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11397267)

Yeah, it seems weird to me too. Not sure why it's different. I do like going back and watching old Olympic matches at 48kg and 52kg. It's hilarious watching two lightning quick jockeys going at it.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-22-2015 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11397301)
Yep... one of the cool things about wrestling is that it appeals to some of the kids who firmly believe that they have been overlooked for whatever reason in other sports, and wrestling works for them for they have more control over their destiny.

It was true for me. I was a basketball kid and I just never hit a growth spurt. Wish I would have wrestled earlier in life.