ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs ***OFFICIAL 2019 Chiefs Training Camp Thread*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=324078)

SAUTO 08-12-2019 02:39 PM

Mathieu sure brings up Peterson quite a bit

wasi 08-12-2019 02:40 PM

suspended players are exempt from the roster

Mecca 08-12-2019 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 14391726)
Mathieu sure brings up Peterson quite a bit

They're best friends, PP and his father straightened Mathieu out after his college issues.

DJ's left nut 08-12-2019 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasi (Post 14391729)
suspended players are exempt from the roster

But they do have to be added first.

So for 1 day, before he can be moved to the suspended list, the Chiefs need to get down to 52. He's added to the roster at 53 then declared suspended, moving them immediately back down to 52.

So you'd like to think they'll come to an understanding with whoever the 54th guy is that they'll cut him for about an hour and then sign him back up.

The worry is that if you're guy #54, what do you think your chances are of sticking past that 4 game suspension? Do you like your odds better somewhere else?

It's a weird bit of roster shenanigans but it does appear to be something the Chiefs will have to deal with if only ever so briefly. I mean they though Hogan was gonna re-sign with their practice squad a few years back when they offered him the deal and instead he went to, what, Cleveland's practice squad? Because he had the freedom to do so and thought his odds of long-term success were better.

He was probably right. He was on Clevelands roster all of 2017 and Denver's all of 2018 (in part because of the handful of games he got in '16 and '17 in Cleveland).

The dude has $2 million in career earnings in large part because he chose a path of less resistance in going to Cleveland. I could see that happening with whoever the Chiefs attempt to cut/sign.

-King- 08-12-2019 03:01 PM

Another no look pass to Kelce in the Twitter feed

suzzer99 08-12-2019 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14391773)

So for 1 day, before he can be moved to the suspended list, the Chiefs need to get down to 52. He's added to the roster at 53 then declared suspended, moving them immediately back down to 52.

So you'd like to think they'll come to an understanding with whoever the 54th guy is that they'll cut him for about an hour and then sign him back up.

The worry is that if you're guy #54, what do you think your chances are of sticking past that 4 game suspension? Do you like your odds better somewhere else?

It's a weird bit of roster shenanigans but it does appear to be something the Chiefs will have to deal with if only ever so briefly. I mean they though Hogan was gonna re-sign with their practice squad a few years back when they offered him the deal and instead he went to, what, Cleveland's practice squad? Because he had the freedom to do so and thought his odds of long-term success were better.

He was probably right. He was on Clevelands roster all of 2017 and Denver's all of 2018 (in part because of the handful of games he got in '16 and '17 in Cleveland).

The dude has $2 million in career earnings in large part because he chose a path of less resistance in going to Cleveland. I could see that happening with whoever the Chiefs attempt to cut/sign.

But what happens if we wait until week 1 then trade for PP?

RealSNR 08-12-2019 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14391773)

That brings up another question. Apparently the Chiefs signed some of the best UDFA WRs this year according to Todd McShay during Saturday's game.

If you were an UDFA WR, and you knew that a ton of teams were interested in you from pre-draft visits, why would you pick a team like KC where the 1-4 slots are all accounted for? Wouldn't it be far better to go to Buffalo or some talentless shit hole where you stand not only a better chance of making the team but also moving up the depth chart quicker and finding work beyond maybe a 1-2 years of hanging out on the practice squad?

Look at someone like Josh Bellamy. The guy is still in the NFL. He has a contract. He got noticed by making plays during the preseason for some really shitty Chiefs teams. He rose up the ranks of Chicago's putrid WR corps years ago. He'll probably continue playing a couple more years beyond this because he's known as a trusty, reliable (insert cliche adjective of your choosing) veteran.

RealSNR 08-12-2019 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 14391601)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">What table are you sitting at, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ChiefsKingdom?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ChiefsKingdom</a>? <a href="https://t.co/C0NvqKa7mH">pic.twitter.com/C0NvqKa7mH</a></p>&mdash; Chiefs Focus (@ChiefsFocus) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChiefsFocus/status/1160630937484505089?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 11, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

LOL. They put Tyreek within earshot of Brooke Pryor on purpose

O.city 08-12-2019 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 14391807)
That brings up another question. Apparently the Chiefs signed some of the best UDFA WRs this year according to Todd McShay during Saturday's game.

If you were an UDFA WR, and you knew that a ton of teams were interested in you from pre-draft visits, why would you pick a team like KC where the 1-4 slots are all accounted for? Wouldn't it be far better to go to Buffalo or some talentless shit hole where you stand not only a better chance of making the team but also moving up the depth chart quicker and finding work beyond maybe a 1-2 years of hanging out on the practice squad?

Look at someone like Josh Bellamy. The guy is still in the NFL. He has a contract. He got noticed by making plays during the preseason for some really shitty Chiefs teams. He rose up the ranks of Chicago's putrid WR corps years ago. He'll probably continue playing a couple more years beyond this because he's known as a trusty, reliable (insert cliche adjective of your choosing) veteran.

Maybe the thought is come to KC, you'll get mentored well and taught well, get to play some preseason games and get noticed then go elsewhere?

Wilson8 08-12-2019 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 14391807)

A few reasons. 1) Things were still up in the air with Tyreek Hill when players were signing after the draft. 2) Sammy Watkins is always an unknown when it comes to injuries. 3) You have Andy Reid and a great QB in Patrick. 4) Chiefs were also offering some bonus money for signing with them.

Hoover 08-12-2019 03:57 PM

Umm if I was an UDFA WR I think I'd try my luck with the Chiefs. The goal is to stick with the PS so you are with the team for an entire year then push for a roster spot.

And this is how I would look at the Chiefs, if I was advising a young kid.

1. Hill's contract and future is up in the air.
2. Watkins could be cut after the year.
3. D Rob is a free agent after the year.

The 2020 Chiefs basically have Hardman and a bunch of huge question marks. Even if you plan on Hill being there, there are still plenty of opportunities for young a young player here.

DJ's left nut 08-12-2019 04:01 PM

If Pat Mahomes (and Reid) can get Conley paid, he can get ANYONE paid.

I mean if you are as much as the 4th WR on this squad, you're gonna be a multi-millionaire at some point.

Hog's Gone Fishin 08-12-2019 04:03 PM

This is a really fun listen

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-XQz1FJv5xo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wilson8 08-12-2019 04:05 PM

According to Adam Schefter, WR Jamal Custis received $100K guaranteed money.

Skyy God 08-12-2019 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14391853)
If Pat Mahomes (and Reid) can get Conley paid, he can get ANYONE paid.

I mean if you are as much as the 4th WR on this squad, you're gonna be a multi-millionaire at some point.

Conley got like 2/$5M, so it’s not like they backed up the Brinks truck.

Wilson got like $8M AAV, though. And I bet D-Rob does better than Conley.