ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Hall of Classics (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Best Or Worst Retail Exp?????? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=48814)

KCChiefsMan 01-08-2003 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BRAD_CAUDLE

Makes no sense...No wonder you make squat...

FYI, on average, I get paid $15 per hour of cold cash. on a bad night its more like $10 per hour. Its not a living, but a part time gig for a college student, not too bad.

KCChiefsMan 01-08-2003 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by RedNeckRaider
I wear jeans, t-shirt, flanel shirt, I wear roper type work boots or cowboy boots, and I always tip at least 15%. I will tell you another thing you act like you are to good for me cause you don't like the way dress, you will not get a penny, and you might get your ass kicked.

well then you are 1 out of 1000 cowboys then.

KCChiefsMan 01-08-2003 03:39 AM

Quote:

I wear jeans, t-shirt, flanel shirt, I wear roper type work boots or cowboy boots, and I always tip at least 15%. I will tell you another thing you act like you are to good for me cause you don't like the way dress, you will not get a penny, and you might get your ass kicked.
and I dont care how people dress, I just said that if they are wearing a confederate flag , nascar crap, dirty ass t-shirt, john deer hats or cowboy shit. I didn't mean to offend the people that wear that shit, but I'll tell you what, they won't get good service if I serve them, believe that!
because I know for a fact that I wouldn't get a tip any damn way. like I said, there are very few exceptions (realistically about 1 out of 50)

keg in kc 01-08-2003 03:39 AM

Hell, how would you treat me if I walked into your restaurant, probably wearing (at best) sweats, probably haven't shaved in two weeks, long hair halfway down my back and several earrings? I'm pretty shy, too, so I probably won't talk much or seem ovely friendly in any way, shape or form -- not unfriendly, mind you, just not all that friendly. Treat me like shit and you'd be missing out on at least 15% gratuity and probably more, because I have a tendency to over-tip. The only time I don't tip nicely is if my service is poor, and if it's really bad, I'll only leave a nickel or a quarter, just so the waiter/-tress knows I didn't accidently forget the tip and that the service was horrendous. Treat me fair -- not even 'good', just fair, do it right -- and I never tip less than 15%...

Ebolapox 01-08-2003 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by keg in kc
Hell, how would you treat me if I walked into your restaurant, probably wearing (at best) sweats, probably haven't shaved in two weeks, long hair halfway down my back and several earrings? I'm pretty shy, too, so I probably won't talk much or seem ovely friendly in any way, shape or form -- not unfriendly, mind you, just not all that friendly. Treat me like shit and you'd be missing out on at least 15% gratuity and probably more, because I have a tendency to over-tip. The only time I don't tip nicely is if my service is poor, and if it's really bad, I'll only leave a nickel or a quarter, just so the waiter/-tress knows I didn't accidently forget the tip and that the service was horrendous. Treat me fair -- not even 'good', just fair, do it right -- and I never tip less than 15%...
dude, leave exactly nine pennies... it leaves an obvious message... 'your service wasn't worth a dime'

-EBOLA-...not my original idea, got it from a waitress friend

KCChiefsMan 01-08-2003 03:44 AM

Quote:

I'm not going to bother with the stupidity of the entire post, but I'll pick one point and hope you can figure out the rest yourself.

Then there are bass ackwards people like yourself, too tied to who either turned you down for the prom or stole your luch money to ever really move on in life. You cling to the same assanine presumptions you had in high school before you left mommy's little nest and found out that in the real world people aren't cookie-cutter coppies of each other like the prejudices in your head. I sometimes refer to persons like yourself as "little people." Like the Umpa-loompas.

you can think that if you want to, but truth is you don't even know me, try waiting tables for a while and tell me you wouldnt care if you didn't get tips. I have a feeling that you met each and every one of the criteria on that list and I just think you are mad about it.

keg in kc 01-08-2003 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by EBOLA

dude, leave exactly nine pennies... it leaves an obvious message... 'your service wasn't worth a dime'

-EBOLA-...not my original idea, got it from a waitress friend

Hmm, I might 'borrow' that.

Phobia 01-08-2003 03:47 AM

You win some, you lose some. I just think you have a shitty attitude about your job. Could be burnout. I hope things work out better for you in your next career.

Sometimes you do things knowing you're going to get nothing in return. It's called pride in yourself and your work. Make an adjustment and I promise that you'll be surprised sometimes.

How much extra effort does it *really* require to give an adequate level of service to EVERYBODY? You're certainly not saving any TIME by being rude - it takes the same duration to field their orders and collect their pay whether you are polite or rude. Applebees isn't exactly 5 star dining. My expectations are not high when eating at such establishments. Your job is thankless, arduous, and stressful. I recognize that. But it's not HARD. You're making it harder than it needs to be.

I used to make $16k per year in the military with a wife and 2 kids to support. When I could afford to go to restaurants, it was a big deal and a sacrifice. Yet, I always managed to take care of my wait staff. In fact, one time in particular, the waitress was extremely helpful and cheerful and we left her an extra $10 during the holidays (on a $20 tab and on top of her regular tip). At that time, I'm sure I was stereotyped as a poor tipper because it was a military town.

I'm just trying to help. Since I'm unaffected, I don't really care one way or another.

KCChiefsMan 01-08-2003 03:49 AM

Quote:

well i'd probably give you good service if you didn't have a cowboy hat on, confederate flag on, didn't just have 3 teeth, and your t-shirt wasn't all holey and dirty. For the most part, those are the only people I intentionally give bad service to, I dont judge people on how much they shave, or if you're just not that friendly, or if they are wearing sweats. I dont judge people on that, but I do judge people on the criteria that I just mentioned. Sorry if you dont like it, but thats just life. normally the hostess sits those kinds of people to the new/shitty servers that we have working there at the time so normally I won't have to put up with them. Its not just how you look, but I do know when I'm getting a tip or not. I

stanleychief 01-08-2003 03:50 AM

I can tell you that me and my wife refuse to eat at Applebees precisely for the horrible service we recieved over two years ago. I ALWAYS tip 20% or better. Was I one of the cases where the server guessed wrong? If so then he missed out on an above average tip, and cost the company two customers for life. I fully expect that the response to this will be that it doesn't matter.. I'm only one customer.

I do agree with your point about not going out if you can't afford the tip, and lately we've done a lot of drive-thru, simply because it all adds up! Doesn't mean everyone feels this way though.

RNR 01-08-2003 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by KCChiefsMan

and I dont care how people dress, I just said that if they are wearing a confederate flag , nascar crap, dirty ass t-shirt, john deer hats or cowboy shit. I didn't mean to offend the people that wear that shit, but I'll tell you what, they won't get good service if I serve them, believe that!

I don't wear any of the above other than boots, where do you work? I drive through your town from time to time. I be glad to try your food, and you will treat me right, believe that!

Ebolapox 01-08-2003 03:54 AM

Quote:

Hmm, I might 'borrow' that.
feel free... it does send a message, I know that much

-EBOLA-

KCChiefsMan 01-08-2003 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by pHoBiA
You win some, you lose some. I just think you have a shitty attitude about your job. Could be burnout. I hope things work out better for you in your next career.

Sometimes you do things knowing you're going to get nothing in return. It's called pride in yourself and your work. Make an adjustment and I promise that you'll be surprised sometimes.

How much extra effort does it *really* require to give an adequate level of service to EVERYBODY? You're certainly not saving any TIME by being rude - it takes the same duration to field their orders and collect their pay whether you are polite or rude. Applebees isn't exactly 5 star dining. My expectations are not high when eating at such establishments. Your job is thankless, arduous, and stressful. I recognize that. But it's not HARD. You're making it harder than it needs to be.

I used to make $16k per year in the military with a wife and 2 kids to support. When I could afford to go to restaurants, it was a big deal and a sacrifice. Yet, I always managed to take care of my wait staff. In fact, one time in particular, the waitress was extremely helpful and cheerful and we left her an extra $10 during the holidays (on a $20 tab and on top of her regular tip). At that time, I'm sure I was stereotyped as a poor tipper because it was a military town.

I'm just trying to help. Since I'm unaffected, I don't really care one way or another.

see, I'm not sure if you guys are understanding what I'm saying here, I like my job, it's a good environment, and I take a LOT of pride in my work, but......I have my own system and it's how I like it and I'm damn good at my job, I know Applebee's isn't five stars, but its not a horrible place either, I'm not expecting 50% or anything ridiculous, just 15% is all I would like to get for giving people good service. I don't give people intentional bad service very often truthfully, thats probably how I made it sound like, but honestly I give intentional bad service mainly when I recognize people that have come in before and not left a tip. and they come back, believe me, but I usually give everybody the benefit of the doubt, but from now on people with cowboy gear or confederate flags will NEVER get good service, I've had it with them.

Ebolapox 01-08-2003 03:57 AM

Quote:

see, I'm not sure if you guys are understanding what I'm saying here, I like my job, it's a good environment, and I take a LOT of pride in my work, but......I have my own system and it's how I like it and I'm damn good at my job, I know Applebee's isn't five stars, but its not a horrible place either, I'm not expecting 50% or anything ridiculous, just 15% is all I would like to get for giving people good service. I don't give people intentional bad service very often truthfully, thats probably how I made it sound like, but honestly I give intentional bad service mainly when I recognize people that have come in before and not left a tip. and they come back, believe me, but I usually give everybody the benefit of the doubt, but from now on people with cowboy gear or confederate flags will NEVER get good service, I've had it with them.

which applebees do you work at, and in what city??? I might be forced to take a road trip just to piss you off :toast:

-EBOLA-:D

KCChiefsMan 01-08-2003 03:57 AM

Quote:

I don't wear any of the above other than boots, where do you work? I drive through your town from time to time. I be glad to try your food, and you will treat me right, believe that!

I will treat you right huh? I bet I probably wouldn't

KCChiefsMan 01-08-2003 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by EBOLA

which applebees do you work at, and in what city??? I might be forced to take a road trip just to piss you off :toast:

-EBOLA-:D

gee thanks....Lawrence, west

Ebolapox 01-08-2003 04:00 AM

Quote:

gee thanks....Lawrence, west

ROFL :LOL:

naw... considering my age, I tip overly generous (generally 20% and up)(also considering cash flow)...I obviously didn't get it from my folks, they're of the school of thought that a buck is good for any meal..... obviously that won't make you friends with any waitor/tress...

-EBOLA-

RNR 01-08-2003 04:03 AM

Quote:

I will treat you right huh? I bet I probably wouldn't

No, cause I have no idea where you work. Most around here know me ,and I don't talk trash, and blow pricks like you off. :banghead: This is unreal, I got pissed at a guy on a pute who does a chicks job ROFL

Phobia 01-08-2003 04:05 AM

Whoops - I do sometimes meet your criteria. I'm a concrete cowboy. When the rodeo comes to town (and a select few other times of the year), I'll throw on my ostrich boots and beaver felt hat and take the wife out to eat. If you screwed me just 'cuz I'm wearing a hat, you blew it. I'm one of the best tippers I know.

Also, my old man doesn't fit any of your criteria and he's the worst tipper. Every time I eat with him, I augment the tip after he's left the table.

memyselfI 01-08-2003 08:36 AM

I went to CC to buy some speakers. They were sold out of the set I wanted but instead offered a the next in line model for the same price. I bought them.

Then I had second thoughts about buying components and wanted a HTIB and returned the speakers. After buying the HTIB I immediately had second thoughts and was regretful that I had returned the speakers and other components. I figured I was out of luck because the salesperson had done me a favor.

I went back to CC explained what happened and showed them my receipts. They offered me the speakers again at the same price without making a fuss. They were 'glad' to have me back.

I ended up buying the a few more of my HT components there. Not only did they match the original sale price but I also mentioned that on their internet site they were offering a deal that was not in the store. They matched the internet site deal.

Just a great experience dealing with these folks...especially compared to the BB zoo across the street.

memyselfI 01-08-2003 08:38 AM

KC, don't answer that. My brother in law has a high ranking position in Applebees... :grr:

PastorMikH 01-08-2003 09:29 AM

Quote:

I only care about how much is left on the table,

&

but 10 out of 10 cowboys (forgot to put that on the list) leave NO MORE than a dollar, guarunteed every time,

First one pretty well sums things up.

Let's examine that second one a bit. If they leave just a $1, Let's see, you work probaly 4-6 tables a night (if it is an average resturaunt), possibly as many as 10 when help is down. Let's go with 5 tables though. You can fill those tables at a buffet every 15 - 20 minutes. Order off the menu, you can probably fill those tables close to 2x an hour if you and the cook hustle your services. At $1 tip, 5 tables, filled 2x an hour, that's $10 in tips an hour. $12 an hour with the wage added in (peak times of course). Now, when you figure in that most people tip quite a bit more than a $1, shoot, you are probably better paid than a good number on this board.

Waitering is an easy job. Sure putting up with customers can be fustrating, but it is an easy job. I would suggest you leave the resturaunt biz and get a job with a roofing contractor this next summer. It pays a lot more than $2 an hour, but you won't be quite so bitter when you go back to that indoor, airconditioned job.

Here's a thought, what if those coboys (I'm talking real cowboys, not the John Travolta urban dudes) come in, sit down, shake your hand, realize your hand does not have a callous one on it and your grip is like a wet noodle. Then you don't bust your tail in serving the table, they assume you are lazy and don't tip. Problem is, you pre-judge people and give poor service. What if they pre-judge you and decide they are going to get terrible service up front?

If you will learn how to treat people, your life will go much better.

PastorMikH 01-08-2003 09:36 AM

Quote:

I wear jeans, t-shirt, flanel shirt, I wear roper type work boots or cowboy boots, and I always tip at least 15%. I will tell you another thing you act like you are to good for me cause you don't like the way dress, you will not get a penny, and you might get your *** kicked.

Hey Redneck, didn't you mean to say "Rope" belt?

This statement really throws me though. The second part is so typical of a Riaderfan, but the real-person attire instead of a drag gettup really is offbeat for a Raiderfan.:D

BTW, he'd probably completely lose it if you were to ask them to put some Dwight Yokum tunes on the musac speakers.

memyselfI 01-08-2003 09:44 AM

'Waitering is an easy job.'

I beg to differ.

ANY job is an 'easy' job if you just do it. If you want to do it RIGHT that is when it becomes tricky...

I'm sure I could pray some and talk about God some and make being a Pastor look like an 'easy' job. That does not mean I'd be any good at it and certainly it doesn't mean the people I service would gain any real benefit from it. ;)

I think server (the new name for the profession) is actually a very tricky and difficult job. You are serving people food. The nature of feeding people has all sorts of cultural, class, socio-economic, and psychological dynamics as does the serving of people.

You have people who want to just eat and the only thing between them and the food is you. These people are the ones who get hostile about having to tip, having to wait for you to serve them, having to deal with you at all.

You have people who WANT to be served. They want their presence acknowledged, they want their every needs attended, and these are the people who tend to value good service because they expect it and reward it.

Then you have the folks in between who think that servers are a necessary evil. As such they will use it to their benefit and if they feel the server meets some ingrained psychological criteria they have passed a test and will be fairly rewarded (anywhere from 10-18%) but it doesn't matter so much what the server does as it does what this customer is thinking and what type of mood they are in.

Given these sorts of dynamics...how can one say its an 'easy' job. I did it for ONE day and said 'no, thanks.' But I have many friends who've made little or lots of money doing this.

Some try to make a living doing it...they are truly professionals who would scoff at the idea that their ability to make a life out of serving at fine restraurants is akin and easy as working at Denny's.

Bwana 01-08-2003 09:48 AM

Mailboxes Etc......THEY SUCK!!!!!!!:cuss:

PastorMikH 01-08-2003 09:48 AM

Finally made it to the top of the list. One last one here until someone ese posts.

Keg, when you leave those 9 pennies, put them in the bottom of a glass filled with water. Then, take a napkin, put it over the top of the glass and flip the glass upside down. The napkin will hold in the water long enough to flip it. Of course, I would never do that personally (At least not where I was known as a minister - Applebees west Lawrence, maybee) :)

PastorMikH 01-08-2003 09:54 AM

Denise, was comparing it in the way of hard physical labor that the kid would experience on a construction job site.

It can have it's moments to be sure. And I know a lady's feet can kill her after an 8 hour shift.

-------------------------------------
Scratch the rest of that, I got a bit reactionary there.

Iowanian 01-08-2003 09:57 AM

Walked into a Conoco Gas station once for a 12 pack of beer.....15minutes later....walked out with 2 chicks at the same time.

now that is customer service.

headsnap 01-08-2003 10:15 AM

it's not retail but...

IOMEGA CAN GO TO HELL!!!!!

KCChiefsMan 01-08-2003 02:54 PM

Quote:

Whoops - I do sometimes meet your criteria. I'm a concrete cowboy. When the rodeo comes to town (and a select few other times of the year), I'll throw on my ostrich boots and beaver felt hat and take the wife out to eat. If you screwed me just 'cuz I'm wearing a hat, you blew it. I'm one of the best tippers I know.

Also, my old man doesn't fit any of your criteria and he's the worst tipper. Every time I eat with him, I augment the tip after he's left the table.

sorry then, but I have never gotten a good tip from a cowboy, usually they stiff me and I'm not talking about the times I give them bad service. You may be an exceptional case, but from my experience cowboy's never leave anybody a good tip, ever. and everybody I work with agree's with me

KCChiefsMan 01-08-2003 03:01 PM

Quote:

No, cause I have no idea where you work. Most around here know me ,and I don't talk trash, and blow pricks like you off. :banghead: This is unreal, I got pissed at a guy on a pute who does a chicks job ROFL

a chicks job eh? truthfully, I'd rather work with good looking chicks than dudes, hehe believe that!

Phobia 01-08-2003 03:02 PM

You're not listening to me Paul.

My entire point is that you are screwing yourself. There are many, many exceptions to your prejudice (not just me). The difference between crappy service and adequate service is minimal - you make a little more effort and you would do much better.

Iowanian 01-08-2003 03:06 PM

KCChiefs...

maybe you're a dick to cowboys. I rode bulls for 2 years and went to ALOT of rodeos all over Iowa, Missouri and some in nebraska.....while some guys are pretty cheap...Most are loyal, friendly, considerate people....and tip according to the level of service.......ps...they know when you're looking down your snotty suburban nose. Alot of "ranchers" wear their lids, have money are tip very well from what i've seen.

Maybe its just your charming personality.

Disclaimer: Doesn't include Trailer park people driving el caminos and wearing State fair cowboy hats and walmart Garth Brooks Fire shirts.

KCChiefsMan 01-08-2003 03:06 PM

Quote:

You're not listening to me Paul.

My entire point is that you are screwing yourself. There are many, many exceptions to your prejudice (not just me). The difference between crappy service and adequate service is minimal - you make a little more effort and you would do much better.

I put a lot of effort into my job Phil, I put a lot of pride into my job. My only prejudice is against people who screw me over. I do fine at my job, very well actually, but my only point was, give somebody good service = $1 tip on a $40 bill, OR have fun with people who I KNOW won't tip me and get nothing and feel better about it, because it really really makes me mad when I get stiffed after giving people good service. But that doesn't happen often because I don't intentionally give people crappy service very often. I probably haven't done that in about a month.

KCChiefsMan 01-08-2003 03:09 PM

just for everybody's info, I only do that shit to people who screw me over. Why the hell should I care about people that stiff me? anybody that has served tables, and can do their job well, will know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

Mass-Chief-Fan 01-08-2003 03:11 PM

This afternoon I go into Ocean State Job Lot (discount store). I get tarps & some tools there cheap. I go to pay & ask if they take company checks. The girl behind the counter says no.

I remembered that I had paid w/ company check before so I ask when this policy started. She says that if it's a company check she'll need to see a license & get approval so its easier to pay cash. I had enough cash to pay the bill ($70), but I gave her the best fuck you smile I had & said call for approval. She gave me the are you serious face & goes about ringing me out w/ the most attitude I've ever seen. I let it go because I figured she was stuck at that dump for the rest of the day.

Iowanian 01-08-2003 03:12 PM

I had a guy waitress last night...she was a nice guy.....so I tipped $5 on a $15 meal.

My guess is you're the dick, and thats why you're getting stiffed. People know when you're looking down.

how can you only be a prick AFTER you've been tipped/not tipped...doesn't that happen AFTER the "service".

Lightning Rod 01-08-2003 03:15 PM

I have always worked with the general public and think we should all remember something that is pretty terrifying.

As stupid as the average person is...

half the people are even dumber.

KCChiefsMan 01-08-2003 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Iowanian
I had a guy waitress last night...she was a nice guy.....so I tipped $5 on a $15 meal.

My guess is you're the dick, and thats why you're getting stiffed. People know when you're looking down.

how can you only be a prick AFTER you've been tipped/not tipped...doesn't that happen AFTER the "service".

have you ever waited tables before? I really don't think you know what you are talking about.

Rausch 01-08-2003 03:16 PM

Quote:

just for everybody's info, I only do that shit to people who screw me over. Why the hell should I care about people that stiff me? anybody that has served tables, and can do their job well, will know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.
Well Mr.Know it all, for one I had something happend to me at the country club back in high school.

THis one doctor never left a tip. NEVER. Was there three days a week and made MAJOR $$$. After about a month you can expect the service he got from most of the guys. However, I was the new guy and didn't need to get chewed out for not doing my job. I figured fug it, life will catch up with him. I'll just do the job and go on.

Come Late October (golf course work is obviously seasonal) he comes in the pro shop and gives my boss 4 envelopes. There was $100 in each one. There were 6 guys that worked there then, and the two total assholes got nothing. Not a penny. Myself and the other three had a keg party...:D

Rausch 01-08-2003 03:18 PM

Quote:

have you ever waited tables before? I really don't think you know what you are talking about.

I wait tables every day I work.

Not only do I have to take your order, bring you your food, server you your beer, and then clean up after you, but I also have to cook the shit and take phone orders.

I do MORE than you do, and don't make %10 of the tips you do. And somehow manage to not cry like a baby because Mr.X and his family didn't pick up the tab for my car payment....:rolleyes:

VonneMarie 01-08-2003 03:20 PM

Quote:

Well Mr.Know it all, for one I had something happend to me at the country club back in high school.

THis one doctor never left a tip. NEVER. Was there three days a week and made MAJOR $$$. After about a month you can expect the service he got from most of the guys. However, I was the new guy and didn't need to get chewed out for not doing my job. I figured fug it, life will catch up with him. I'll just do the job and go on.

Come Late October (golf course work is obviously seasonal) he comes in the pro shop and gives my boss 4 envelopes. There was $100 in each one. There were 6 guys that worked there then, and the two total assholes got nothing. Not a penny. Myself and the other three had a keg party...:D

Dang, and where do you work at?...I'm thinking pizza hut.

Iowanian 01-08-2003 03:20 PM

edited because it wasn't nice.

well kccm...

I bagged groceries for 3 years in HS, worked the checkout, and have been in a job my first 3 years out of college where I changed the addresses of every person in 4 counties....sent them a letter with an 800 number and my name, and work with the public now on a regular basis. I've also worked with a business I run on the side doing custom ink drawings for people.

so no...other than volunteering at fall dinners at a church, I've never waited tables....But I do have a log book where I recieved over 700 calls in 4 weeks from pissed off people, and was able to deal with all of them in a courtious manner......except the drunk guy that came in my office at 9am and threatened me.

so Paul, maybe I DO know something about dealing with people, even though I'm not responsible for such demanding duties as filling their Tea and bringing the Pie cart..

VonneMarie 01-08-2003 03:24 PM

I quoted the wrong thing..but do you work at pizza hut Brad?

KCChiefsMan 01-08-2003 03:57 PM

Re: edited because it wasn't nice.

Quote:

Originally posted by Iowanian
well kccm...

so Paul, maybe I DO know something about dealing with people, even though I'm not responsible for such demanding duties as filling their Tea and bringing the Pie cart..

I know a hell of a lot about dealing with people, and some people are just plain and simply assholes, you don't think they exist or something? I've worked at a McDonalds all throughout high school, I was an assistant manager there for 2 years after high school while I attended a JUCO, believe me, my job there required that I be nice to everybody and I did just that, I've never realized what kind of assholes and white trash there are in this world until I worked there. So I do know things about dealing with people.

I never asked you guys to agree with the way I do things, but this is how it is. Yes, I judge the hell out of people because they I have to rely on their tips to make any money at all.

Iowanian 01-08-2003 04:03 PM

Listen for the bell, Listen for the Bell

DING! fries are done DING! Fries are done.

anyone who works with the public realizes there are a-holes abound, People with BO, Halitosis, attitude problems, bad days taken out on us blah blah blah.

On the Same token...I realize that alot of those same people work in fast food and the service industry.

The difference is that most of us don't have the option for a tip for good service...its our job and duty to provide quality service to the best of our ability for no additional compensation.

Pennywise 01-08-2003 04:03 PM

Quote:

I'll throw on my ostrich boots and beaver felt hat and take the wife out to eat.

HOLY SHIT! They make hats that big?:eek:

That has to put some sort of dent in the Beaver population. :D

Iowanian 01-08-2003 04:04 PM

Just like his college sex life.....I'll bet the hat is Faux-beaver.

Phobia 01-08-2003 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PennyWise
HOLY SHIT! They make hats that big?:eek:

That has to put some sort of dent in the Beaver population. :D

Crazy, isn't it? They had to special order that SOB.

Valiant 01-08-2003 04:21 PM

man some of you are shoulda woulda coulda...how is it wrong that he discriminates shitty customers, but nothing is wrong when we discriminate shitty broncos fans...:p :p

Rausch 01-08-2003 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chiefsgurl18

Dang, and where do you work at?...I'm thinking pizza hut.

Nah, it's a mom and pop pizza place...

Rausch 01-08-2003 04:24 PM

Re: Re: edited because it wasn't nice.

Quote:

I know a hell of a lot about dealing with people

No you don't. Apparently you know nothing at all about how to deal with people...

PastorMikH 01-08-2003 04:37 PM

If I remember right, Paul is working in pre-law. Paul, you have the makings of a fine lawyer.:)

Seriously, people are going to stiff you. You are going to bust your tail with a $50 table and get stuck with no tip. It happens. Some people are going to act like complete jerks. Basically because some of them are. It is all part of working with the public.

Maybe you recognize those people the next time they come in, but it still doesn't make your actions right.

Personally, I would have much more respect for a waiter/waitress if they caught me on the way out and mentioned to me that they noticed the tip was a little slim and if there was some problem with the service rather than take out thier frustrations on me the next time a come in.

Shoot, for all you know, the bus boy could be slipping some of the top before you get to your tips.

Phobia 01-08-2003 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by pastormikh
Shoot, for all you know, the bus boy could be slipping some of the top before you get to your tips.
Especially if said bus boy is aware of your "convictions" about a percentage of your clientel.

KS Smitty 01-08-2003 05:12 PM

Quote:

1) if you come in and I've served you before and I know you don't tip, then they'll just get the worst service in the world (and NO I wouldn't ever spit in the food or shit like that, just no refills and really really slow and rude service)
2) if the person is wearing ANYTHING with the confederate flag on it
3) if the person is wearing ANYTHING with Nascar on it
4) if the person has a mullet
5) if they are rude to me regardless of what you look like
6) if they are missing teeth (unless they are really polite)
7) if they look like they are in high school
8) if they are wearing dirty t-shirts
9) if they are wearing John Deer hats
10) if I just get the "I'm not getting a tip from this table vibe"
We fit some of your criteria yet in a reply to this thread we said the following:

Quote:

We usually tip a minimum of 15% unless the service (not the meal) sucked. It's always based on the bill. We have a friend that does only tip a couple of bucks everytime we go out together and I make sure that we augment it to at least 15%.
You also told us to stop by Carlos O Kelleys (in October) and now you're at Applebees? What happened? Surely it wasn't anything on your part. :rolleyes:

Phobia 01-08-2003 05:24 PM

What about smelly feet? I can't imagine somebody with smelly feet would tip well. I think waiters should be able to toss patrons in the waiting area to determine if they qualify for their services. Maybe a little interview table in which an application can be filled out and credit history reviewed.

Average_Assclown 01-08-2003 05:47 PM

You guys can keep flaming away on him, but at Chili's about 90% of the servers felt the same way, and do the same things.

RJ 01-08-2003 07:19 PM

I stayed in the restaurant/bar business for years after getting a "real job" because I enjoyed the work, the extra $$ and the fact it was great for a young man's social life, if you know what I mean. Being stiffed or poorly tipped was a rare occurence, probably because I was good at my job and had fun with it. Working in sales you deal with rejection every day. There is little rejection when you're the guy with the food and the beer.

Anyhow, as to tips, it was no coincidence that every place I worked there was alway a couple of waiters/waitresses who would pull the most tips every night. Didn't matter what section they were in, what kind of tables they got, what their customers were wearing. They didn't have deals worked out with the hostess. And they all had one thing in common. They were good at their jobs.

If you wait tables and do your job right, are nice to people and make them feel IMPORTANT they will tip you well. If you're doing your job 100% most folks would be embarassed not to.

memyselfI 01-08-2003 07:29 PM

I'm curious of the ages of these hardcore 'the customer sucks' folks.

Perhaps some of us were raised with the concept of customer service...

before you could purchase stuff online without stepping foot into a store or when you could talk to a real woman named Claire and not some voicemail woman.

Mosbonian 01-08-2003 07:51 PM

Denise...

If you read their posts you can see they are from a totally different generation.....

What you should see is how this post was first worded by young Cashman...he even went so far as to deny that he called customers stupid...and edited his post......here is what was originally posted:

Quote:

I was just wondering if any of you had a good or bad day at a retail store? or work at one and have some info into why some customers are stupid and so on?????
Sad to say, their attitude is starting to become more prevalent amongst the spolied generation....

mmaddog

Average_Assclown 01-08-2003 07:59 PM

Re: Denise...

Quote:

Originally posted by mmaddog
If you read their posts you can see they are from a totally different generation.....

What you should see is how this post was first worded by young Cashman...he even went so far as to deny that he called customers stupid...and edited his post......here is what was originally posted:

Sad to say, their attitude is starting to become more prevalent amongst the spolied generation....

mmaddog

Tell us stories from the olden days, please. ZZZ

Nelson Muntz 01-08-2003 08:06 PM

Re: Re: Denise...

Quote:

Originally posted by Above_Average

Tell us stories from the olden days, please. ZZZ

Exhibit A of a poor example of today's youth. :rolleyes:

Mosbonian 01-08-2003 08:26 PM

Below Average.....

Quote:

Tell us stories from the olden days, please.
Why is it I can always depend upon the weak of mind like you to violate the cardinal rule of survival....

"It's better to remain quiet and make people wonder if you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

mmaddog

Average_Assclown 01-08-2003 08:28 PM

Lighten up. You need more Metamucil in your diet. It was a joke!

Mosbonian 01-08-2003 08:31 PM

Above Average...

Quote:

Lighten up. You need more Metamucil in your diet. It was a joke
1) It wasn't a joke...it was meant as an insult on your part...

2) Don't need Metamucil....I eat enough roughage...

mmaddog

Average_Assclown 01-08-2003 08:32 PM

Re: Above Average...

Quote:

1) It wasn't a joke...it was meant as an insult on your part...

2) Don't need Metamucil....I eat enough roughage...

mmaddog

Yes it was a joke. Sorry if you took it as an insult. Just lighten up, pops! :toast:

Clint in Wichita 01-08-2003 08:34 PM

Maybe this has been posted, but I think it's relevant to this thread:

http://www.theonion.com/onion3850/twelve_customers.html

Mosbonian 01-08-2003 08:42 PM

AA....

Quote:

Yes it was a joke. Sorry if you took it as an insult. Just lighten up, pops!
I'm not your dad...if i was you wouldn't be so mouthy...

Valiant 01-08-2003 08:43 PM

mmaddog why is it, everybody is wrong except for you... or is that because you are older and there for get some respect you probably never earned...

Average_Assclown 01-08-2003 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Valiant
mmaddog why is it, everybody is wrong except for you... or is that because you are older and there for get some respect you probably never earned...
I agree, he does come off as quite the bitter old man. Don't take everything so seriously mmaddog.

Mosbonian 01-08-2003 09:14 PM

AA & Valiant....

Quote:

I don't seek respect from people who can't fathom what that truly is....and you two are poster boys for that.

I seek and get respect from my peers....people in my Industry that have worked hard to achieve what they have in life...not kids who still haven't learned what it is like to really have to pay bills, deal with family issues greater than "dad, can i borrow your car, 'cause I wrecked mine', or " damn, i can't go out tonight with Josie cause I got this monster zit on the end of my nose and the middle of my forehead"....

Come back when you get a real job.....

mmaddog

Valiant 01-08-2003 09:24 PM

see there is your assumptions agian...

lets see

own a house... finally got a house loan... i will never rent..

own two vehicles...
own a banshee and a waverunner...

i have put myself thru school...only 18 more credits left...and just for you maddog.. it is major in history, major in buisness, almost enough for majors in liberal studies and secondary education...

yeah i really havent learned how to pay bills or deal with real life issues...and to top it off...i will be 25 this year... yeah i sure dont know anything about the real world...

all working for circuit city...

Average_Assclown 01-08-2003 09:26 PM

Re: AA & Valiant....

Quote:

I don't seek respect from people who can't fathom what that truly is....and you two are poster boys for that.

I seek and get respect from my peers....people in my Industry that have worked hard to achieve what they have in life...not kids who still haven't learned what it is like to really have to pay bills, deal with family issues greater than "dad, can i borrow your car, 'cause I wrecked mine', or " damn, i can't go out tonight with Josie cause I got this monster zit on the end of my nose and the middle of my forehead"....

Come back when you get a real job.....

mmaddog

Aren't you wise beyond your years. Never wrecked my car. Nor do I have to worry about zits. You are just a bitter old man who is pissed off at the world for God knows what reason. The problems I have to worry are just as real as yours. You assume way too much. And just out of curiousity, exactly how old are you? I don't expect you to answer that either.

Mosbonian 01-08-2003 09:29 PM

Valiant....

See how much fun it is to have someone assume something about you that isn't right?

And congratulations on all your achievements....

mmaddog

Mosbonian 01-08-2003 09:32 PM

AA....

Quote:

And just out of curiousity, exactly how old are you? I don't expect you to answer that either.
Your reading skills and attention span are lacking...

If you had read thru this thread or the other one you are posting on, i gave my age...but for the impaired, I am 46....

mmaddog

Average_Assclown 01-08-2003 09:34 PM

Re: AA....

Quote:

Your reading skills and attention span are lacking...

If you had read thru this thread or the other one you are posting on, i gave my age...but for the impaired, I am 46....

mmaddog

Sorry pops, I must not have all free time that you enjoy during the day. Sometimes I'm not able to read entire 10 page threads.

Valiant 01-08-2003 09:37 PM

maddog can i ASSUME that our little diabolical is thru... i am hoping this is the only assumption that will be correct... i will say at least i had fun arguing with you..and agian sorry about the death comment..it was out of line...

Mosbonian 01-08-2003 09:41 PM

AA....

Quote:

Sorry pops, I must not have all free time that you enjoy during the day. Sometimes I'm not able to read entire 10 page threads.
Once again...skills lacking...

If you look closely, and most of the regulars and vets here can attest to this....I am rarely on here, except for at nite time after i get the kids in bed...

''Sometimes I'm not able to read"....you could have just ended it there and it would have described you perfectly...

mmaddog

Mosbonian 01-08-2003 09:43 PM

Valiant....

You are correct to assume our diatribe is finished.....and i enjoy a good argument....

As for the comment..it is forgotten.

mmaddog

Average_Assclown 01-08-2003 09:44 PM

Re: AA....

Quote:

If you look closely, and most of the regulars and vets here can attest to this....I am rarely on here, except for at nite time after i get the kids in bed...

mmaddog

Yikes, the thought you having kids is horrifying. Aren't they the luckiest children in the world, eh pops?