ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Starfield (Skyrim in Space) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=342511)

Sassy Squatch 09-12-2023 06:39 AM

Game has gotten infinitely more enjoyable once I discovered you can effectively fast travel to the mission markers you want to do. Really hope Bethesda or a mod community eventually incorporate maps that are actually useful down the list ne, because as it stands the 'exploration' is a HUGE whiff.

Sassy Squatch 09-12-2023 06:45 AM

One huge positive is the missions are actually quite a bit better than the fare from past Bethesda games. They would've been much better off condensing the planets they actually bothered developing into a few systems and filling them with stuff to do instead of what they did which is a bunch of copy paste moons that only serve to farm resources and grind out 'abandoned' facilities that are literally the same everywhere except if you're fighting spacer or pirate.

gh4chiefs 09-12-2023 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17091155)
Well, I got my level up into the 20s, but as has been the case with every other Bethesda game I've ever played, I'm abandoning my initial run and starting over after realizing how many things I ****ed up/missed/could have done better. So I just hit level two! LMAO

I finally got around to starting this up tonight and frankly all these decisions about character build choices, optional attributes, and skill trees give me "skill tree anxiety." I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have the patience to go back and start over if I'd gotten to level 20.

The game doesn't tell you shit and I'd like to blame it on me being jet lagged, but I'm really struggling to figure out much of anything. (For example, a big goose egg on my first lock picking attempt, still don't understand that at all. ) I don't remember Fallout being this hard to figure out. Youtube has been my constant companion tonight.

I think I'm getting too old for this shit. I definitely don't have the patience for the learning curve. :(

Sassy Squatch 09-12-2023 08:15 PM

Lockpicking is relatively straightforward once you figure it out. So at least for novice locks, you'll have 4 different options on the right, and 2 circles with different gaps on the left. What I do is cycle through the 4 options and match them up to the gaps then just insert them all one after the other.

Sassy Squatch 09-12-2023 08:16 PM

But yes, the game more or less throws you out into the world with a pat on the ass and not much else. And apparently the more you play the worse the bugs get. There's probably a memory leak in the code.

Frazod 09-12-2023 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gh4chiefs (Post 17105570)
I finally got around to starting this up tonight and frankly all these decisions about character build choices, optional attributes, and skill trees give me "skill tree anxiety." I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have the patience to go back and start over if I'd gotten to level 20.

The game doesn't tell you shit and I'd like to blame it on me being jet lagged, but I'm really struggling to figure out much of anything. (For example, a big goose egg on my first lock picking attempt, still don't understand that at all. ) I don't remember Fallout being this hard to figure out. Youtube has been my constant companion tonight.

I think I'm getting too old for this shit. I definitely don't have the patience for the learning curve. :(

I'm right there with you, brother. I'm 58. I learn slowly and forget quickly. And yes, this game basically throws you into the deep end and gives you the finger as you're drowning. Stick with it, though. It is worth the slog.

I'm finally starting to get somewhat competent in the shipbuilding department. I found a good video about upgrading one particular ship and followed the instructions exactly. Later I was able to improve on it by swapping out/adding components, and came away with much more maneuverability and power. Later tonight I think I'll do a complete rebuild of one of the pirate vessels I captured (you delete every component and then start from scratch) and see if I can create something useful. I've watched enough videos that I should be able to.

After I get the ship stuff down, I'm going to start dabbling in creating outposts and modding equipment. The problem is you have to unlock multiple skills by leveling up, and when you get to higher levels it obviously takes much longer to do that.

gh4chiefs 09-13-2023 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17105585)
I'm right there with you, brother. I'm 58. I learn slowly and forget quickly. And yes, this game basically throws you into the deep end and gives you the finger as you're drowning. Stick with it, though. It is worth the slog..

Yeah I was thinking I was just a bit older than you, 62. And yeah I get it on the learning things. One of my problems is I didn't have a lot of patience at my best, and the aging thing is NOT helping with that. AT ALL. LOL

I was just up to Level 2 and i decided to restart, and I still think I probably have made a lot of really dumb mistakes. Hopefully nothing too impactful. I'm up to 4 now, I'm in the first space port. It is addictive but I get frustrated easily.

gh4chiefs 09-13-2023 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassy Snatch (Post 17105577)
Lockpicking is relatively straightforward once you figure it out. So at least for novice locks, you'll have 4 different options on the right, and 2 circles with different gaps on the left. What I do is cycle through the 4 options and match them up to the gaps then just insert them all one after the other.

I did go ahead and restart, and I've actually now successfully picked two locks and . . . I still don't really know exactly how I did it. LOL I kind of get it, but not really. But I will plug on.

BigBeauford 09-13-2023 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gh4chiefs (Post 17105831)
I did go ahead and restart, and I've actually now successfully picked two locks and . . . I still don't really know exactly how I did it. LOL I kind of get it, but not really. But I will plug on.

Took me a while but here is how you solve the locks:

https://www.starfielddb.com/wp-conte...igipicking.jpg

You have to match your available locks on the right side to have them fit the open slots on the left in the correct order. Sometimes it's better to solve the rings from the inside out. So to solve this one, use the 3rd digipick (on the right) to solve the outer ring as the open holes are the two on opposite ends. The order of the last two won't matter as they will both be used to slot in the open slots on the inner ring (2 rings on this one overall).

Fish 09-13-2023 08:17 AM

The first 10 levels or so are a struggle. You'll likely have to reference the internet to figure out what should be relatively simple stuff. There's a bajillion different items in the game, and it's not clear what's necessary and what's junk. Storage space will be incredibly limited at first. There's a thousand different skills in the tree, and some of them are confusing as hell. (Gastronomy? Why the **** am I grinding this game to master gastronomy? WTF is Xenosociology? Botany?)

Upgrading your weapons, gear, ship, etc. is really satisfying, but man is it complicated. Want to do something as simple as add a scope to your gun? Well, you have to level up to unlock the weapon engineering skill, then kill 5 bad guys, then go to the Research station to unlock the ability to use optics. But wait! First you'll need 40 different elements to unlock the research, and they weigh a ton so you can only carry 2 at a time. And now look, ****ing Sarah is using the weapons bench, you'll have to wait your turn.

Ship design is just as complicated.

But then, after you hit level 20 or so, you turn into something of a god. By that point, you'll have a collection of unique guns that just slay fools with ease. I wouldn't bother trying to level up many of the combat skills, because they simply aren't necessary. Other than the real heavy hitters like the Terrormorphs(**** those guys), you'll be mowing through waves of pirates and spacers with ease. I actually bumped the difficulty up to Hard because it got to easy.

The spaceship combat was the only aspect I really had any trouble with. At first it's confusing as hell juggling your energy allotment to all the various categories. Took a while to get a comfortable key binding config that worked. Every time I was matched against 3 enemy ships, I'd die right away. So, I went and did the Vanguard mission and used the training simulator multiple times(Thanks, Fraz). Went grinding out the necessary requirements to bump up skills related to starship combat. Now with my upgraded ship, I'm pretty much untouchable in space as well.

Fish 09-13-2023 08:33 AM

What worked for me for skills, as a bounty hunter class who specializes in weapons and gear tinkering, and spaceship combat:

Prioritize these skills first:

Weight Lifting: Carry more shit
Ballistics: All my best weapons are ballistics
Medicine: Medpaks more useful
Research Methods: Learn skills faster
Spacesuit Design: Upgrade suit
Weapon Engineering: Upgrade weapons
Piloting: Fly bigger better ships
Shield Systems: Ship shields are vital
Starship Design: Add better parts to your ships

After those essentials, I'd recommend ship specific weapons systems in the Tech Skills tree.

Ballistic Weapon Systems
Energy Weapon Systems
Missile Weapon Systems
Particle Beam Weapon Systems
Automated Weapon Systems
EM Weapon Systems

gh4chiefs 09-13-2023 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 17105908)
The first 10 levels or so are a struggle. You'll likely have to reference the internet to figure out what should be relatively simple stuff. There's a bajillion different items in the game, and it's not clear what's necessary and what's junk. Storage space will be incredibly limited at first. There's a thousand different skills in the tree, and some of them are confusing as hell. (Gastronomy? Why the **** am I grinding this game to master gastronomy? WTF is Xenosociology? Botany?)

Upgrading your weapons, gear, ship, etc. is really satisfying, but man is it complicated. Want to do something as simple as add a scope to your gun? Well, you have to level up to unlock the weapon engineering skill, then kill 5 bad guys, then go to the Research station to unlock the ability to use optics. But wait! First you'll need 40 different elements to unlock the research, and they weigh a ton so you can only carry 2 at a time. And now look, ****ing Sarah is using the weapons bench, you'll have to wait your turn.

Ship design is just as complicated.

Jesus Christ, I'm glad I got this game as a Xbox Game Pass download because I doubt very seriously I"m going to be playing this much longer. That is WAY TOO COMPLICATED for me. I suppose maybe I'm anomaly but I don't play video games to go through all that. Jeez.

Frazod 09-13-2023 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 17105878)
Took me a while but here is how you solve the locks:

https://www.starfielddb.com/wp-conte...igipicking.jpg

You have to match your available locks on the right side to have them fit the open slots on the left in the correct order. Sometimes it's better to solve the rings from the inside out. So to solve this one, use the 3rd digipick (on the right) to solve the outer ring as the open holes are the two on opposite ends. The order of the last two won't matter as they will both be used to slot in the open slots on the inner ring (2 rings on this one overall).

I really dislike the lockpicking in this game. In Skyrim and Fallout, you just had to hit the locks correctly - there was an element of skill involved. Here, even on the easiest level, there are times when you simply don't have the right pick available. And if you don't pay attention to your inventory, you can find yourself out of the goddamn things and then have to waste time finding merchants that have them for sale.

Whenever I pick a lock now, I always quicksave first. If it takes me more than one or two picks, I reload. At least the combinations change every time.

Fish 09-13-2023 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17106832)
I really dislike the lockpicking in this game. In Skyrim and Fallout, you just had to hit the locks correctly - there was an element of skill involved. Here, even on the easiest level, there are times when you simply don't have the right pick available. And if you don't pay attention to your inventory, you can find yourself out of the goddamn things and then have to waste time finding merchants that have them for sale.

Whenever I pick a lock now, I always quicksave first. If it takes me more than one or two picks, I reload. At least the combinations change every time.

Huh? There is always a solution to the lock using the combinations provided. You just have to find the correct combination and order.

Sassy Squatch 09-13-2023 04:46 PM

Yeah. You need to make sure to match them ALL first before using the lockpick, though. It's possible for one of the picks to fit more than one lock and you could end up using one that makes it impossible to solve without resetting and doing it again.

Frazod 09-13-2023 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 17106845)
Huh? There is always a solution to the lock using the combinations provided. You just have to find the correct combination and order.

No, there isn't. Sometimes you don't have the picks you need. I've run into that numerous times. If you don't have a single slot pick and there's a single slot circle, you're screwed.

Sassy Squatch 09-13-2023 06:10 PM

Huh. That must be on higher difficulty locks because I haven't experienced that yet.

gh4chiefs 09-13-2023 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17106946)
No, there isn't. Sometimes you don't have the picks you need. I've run into that numerous times. If you don't have a single slot pick and there's a single slot circle, you're screwed.

That seems like a poor game design to me. Is this maybe when you take on a lock above your skill level?

Frazod 09-13-2023 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassy Snatch (Post 17106953)
Huh. That must be on higher difficulty locks because I haven't experienced that yet.

I really don't get this. Shit happens to me frequently. There's a single slot ring, and I don't have a single slot pick, or I had to burn a single slot pick and then another one pops up. The end. I have to start over.

And I'm playing on easy - the part of my life where I set the difficulty mode to hard or crazy hard in these games has passed.

Frazod 09-13-2023 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gh4chiefs (Post 17106973)
That seems like a poor game design to me. Is this maybe when you take on a lock above your skill level?

It happens on the easy ones, too. If you don't start with the right picks, you're just screwed. Perhaps keep a bigger inventory of them helps. I don't know. Perhaps I should watch a couple of videos on the subject. Maybe I'm just missing something basic.

Fish 09-13-2023 09:02 PM

Well, there's a thread about it: https://steamcommunity.com/app/17167...777/?l=english

People are saying it's happened to them. But lots of others saying the puzzles are made from the rings they give you and they're all solvable. Everybody is asking for a pic of an unsolvable puzzle, but there hasn't been one yet. I haven't had it happen to me, and I've done many hundreds of locks. With this game, who knows. Could be another a bug.

gh4chiefs 09-14-2023 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17107075)
It happens on the easy ones, too. If you don't start with the right picks, you're just screwed. Perhaps keep a bigger inventory of them helps. I don't know. Perhaps I should watch a couple of videos on the subject. Maybe I'm just missing something basic.

Sounds like it’s possibly one of their infamous bugs.

Just my initial impression from reading this thread and hearing other comments here and there, it’s as if Bethesda said “How can we take our basic game design and make it more complicated?”

Frazod 09-14-2023 02:16 PM

I've finally got shipbuilding down to the point where I can do it competently. It's still twitchy and annoying, but ultimately worth the effort. I haven't built a ship from scratch yet, but I have altered the shit out of a couple of them. The last one is a Class C that I bought in Akila that had an interior layout like a maze initially. I streamlined it so all the important stuff is easily reachable, but it's still a work in progress. And of course all my ships are decked out in Chiefs colors. :thumb:

The last thing I still haven't really done yet is outpost building; I did build some dogshit little iron producing post, but haven't visited it since. Tough assignment for the crewmember I stuck there, mainly just to get him off my ship. I'm still working on leveling up to the top of weapons and spacesuit modding, but that will be next. I plan to address it quickly in my next playthrough.

Wallcrawler 09-15-2023 04:36 PM

All the weapons for the ships are just personal preference.

Disruptor 3300 particle beam wins the game. Put 4 of these on your ship, boost out to 4k meters from your targets (weapon says 3500 range, but it still hits at 4k because Bethesda). You can literally murder level 100 ships with this at level 10.

Put 2 points in piloting to enable thrusters, and win.

At 150 speed and 100 mobility, it does not matter what shield you have because nothing is going to be able to reach you.

Start massive shitfight with any level ships. Boost out to 4k range, then while going your normal top speed of 150 unboosted, hold thrusters and spin camera and reverse away from the fleet at 150 speed, while holding the thruster button down and holding fire button down on your max power particle beams, and watch everything within 4k meters simply melt in a matter of hits, and the power levels come rolling in.

If some ships begin to get into the 3k range to hit you, simply boost away to 4k range, reverse thrust and repeat.

There's literally ZERO reason to use any other weapon once you get the disruptor 3300 available for sale at New Atlantis.

Maybe buy an EM weapon in case you get bored of slaughtering and want to dock with a ship to steal it.

Wallcrawler 09-15-2023 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17107071)
I really don't get this. Shit happens to me frequently. There's a single slot ring, and I don't have a single slot pick, or I had to burn a single slot pick and then another one pops up. The end. I have to start over.

And I'm playing on easy - the part of my life where I set the difficulty mode to hard or crazy hard in these games has passed.

1. The picks are a puzzle. If you've ended up with a single slot ring and no pick, it's because you've previously slotted a key that would fit, but you did not examine what would happen if you slot that key. You need to ensure that when you're slotting keys, that the open spots left after will match keys remaining.

On level 2 of security, keys will turn the ring blue if they will fit, and turn the ring white if they won't fit.

Just because it turns blue, doesn't mean that's where it goes, unless all the other rings turn white. Then it's a matter of making sure that key only fits in one spot. If it fits in multiple spots on the same ring, you need to see which remaining picks will still work after you slot that key.

Once you get to level 4 security, you can actually remove keys in the list that will fit, but are not needed because they end up screwing you over at the end.

2. Difficulty, all you need to do is set the game to VERY HARD before you land on a planet. Once you land, all loot drops and weapon rarities will be boosted, because the area has loaded at the very hard setting.

Simply revert the game back to very easy if you like, and easily faceroll all enemies and have the best chance at legendary loot spawns despite having zero challenge.

Frazod 09-15-2023 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 17109771)
1. The picks are a puzzle. If you've ended up with a single slot ring and no pick, it's because you've previously slotted a key that would fit, but you did not examine what would happen if you slot that key. You need to ensure that when you're slotting keys, that the open spots left after will match keys remaining.

On level 2 of security, keys will turn the ring blue if they will fit, and turn the ring white if they won't fit.

Just because it turns blue, doesn't mean that's where it goes, unless all the other rings turn white. Then it's a matter of making sure that key only fits in one spot. If it fits in multiple spots on the same ring, you need to see which remaining picks will still work after you slot that key.

Once you get to level 4 security, you can actually remove keys in the list that will fit, but are not needed because they end up screwing you over at the end.

2. Difficulty, all you need to do is set the game to VERY HARD before you land on a planet. Once you land, all loot drops and weapon rarities will be boosted, because the area has loaded at the very hard setting.

Simply revert the game back to very easy if you like, and easily faceroll all enemies and have the best chance at legendary loot spawns despite having zero challenge.

I've encountered locks requiring a single pick and did not have a single pick in my inventory. Numerous times. I never use the single picks unless I have no choice for that reason. Perhaps it's a weird bug. I have no idea. But sounds like I have a problem others don't.

Doesn't really matter, though. Now I just quicksave before I start with the lockpicking crap. If I burn too many, I just load the save and start over. Also, I don't have level 4 lockpicking because I've got better to do with my skill selections.

Frazod 09-15-2023 05:25 PM

Finally started building some serious outposts. Like everything else in this goddamn game, it's a pain in the ass to learn. But I'm slowly getting the hang of it. Parts of it feel just like Fallout, but other parts don't. At least there's no Preston Garvey-like character humping my leg to build them every five minutes.

Up next is a galactic copper hunt, because I need copper to get my ****ing copper outpost going. :grr:

This game's fun, okay? Fun, goddammit!

https://y.yarn.co/13b52553-d1fb-4868...2fb39_text.gif

BigBeauford 09-15-2023 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17109805)
I've encountered locks requiring a single pick and did not have a single pick in my inventory. Numerous times. I never use the single picks unless I have no choice for that reason. Perhaps it's a weird bug. I have no idea. But sounds like I have a problem others don't.

Doesn't really matter, though. Now I just quicksave before I start with the lockpicking crap. If I burn too many, I just load the save and start over. Also, I don't have level 4 lockpicking because I've got better to do with my skill selections.

I really do recommend 3/4 lockpick and with 2/4 sneak. I've gotten some incredibly good gear from picking locks.

Frazod 09-15-2023 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 17109824)
I really do recommend 3/4 lockpick and with 2/4 sneak. I've gotten some incredibly good gear from picking locks.

I pick every lock I come across. This issue doesn’t stop me from doing it. It just makes it a pain in the ass. But just a little one.

Wallcrawler 09-16-2023 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17109830)
I pick every lock I come across. This issue doesn’t stop me from doing it. It just makes it a pain in the ass. But just a little one.

Im sorry, but I think the picking in this game is just terrible.

I feel like level 4 security should allow you to auto pick doors at the very least.

Chests, lockers, curiosity type stuff, sure, make me play your time consuming mini game to satisfy my curiosity.

These master locks with like 5 rings, it's just ****ing tedious. I burn up my auto slot ability whenever I can to reduce the time.

In fallout and even skyrim, lockpicking was a 2-3 second endeavor that let you get into stuff. Locks on this game and its like hey, wanna stop all momentum in that adventure you're on and waste a few minutes playing this Master puzzle? Sure it takes the longest, but it's a master lock, right? Gotta be something good in there....riiiight?

One time I wasted like 5 minutes on a master chest and the mother ****er was empty.

Imon Yourside 09-16-2023 01:20 AM

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/451

Easy Digipick (Lockpick)

Features

2 Versions:

Easy Digipick:
Easy Digipick makes lockpicking a breeze. It ensures that, no matter how tough the lock, you'll always have two choices with one key
and two key slots. Say goodbye to lockpicking frustration and enjoy smoother gameplay.

Immersive Digipick:
Immersive Digipick offers a more balanced lockpicking experience. It rebalances all aspects of lockpicking, decreasing the overall difficulty. Master locks remain challenging, while lower-level locks are significantly easier to pick.

Frazod 09-16-2023 09:34 AM

I haven't done any mods yet, or even checked them out.

But I'm sure the first one I'll use is one that gives Andreja bigger tits. :evil:

Wallcrawler 09-17-2023 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17110163)
I haven't done any mods yet, or even checked them out.

But I'm sure the first one I'll use is one that gives Andreja bigger tits. :evil:

I'm sure that Calientes Beautiful Bodies body replacer mod will make the jump. It was in Skyrim and Fallout 4. Same engine.

I'm on console so won't see mods til next year, but the body replacer and hairstyles will be first on the list. Hopefully the blood/dismemberment mods make it in with a nice lighsaber build list, so that this game can truly be what it feels like, which is Knights of The Old Republic on steroids.

Frazod 09-18-2023 08:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 17116337)
I'm sure that Calientes Beautiful Bodies body replacer mod will make the jump. It was in Skyrim and Fallout 4. Same engine.

I'm on console so won't see mods til next year, but the body replacer and hairstyles will be first on the list. Hopefully the blood/dismemberment mods make it in with a nice lighsaber build list, so that this game can truly be what it feels like, which is Knights of The Old Republic on steroids.

Definitely acquainted with Calientes' work. I'm sure I'll have Andreja looking like Lydia eventually.

Frazod 09-18-2023 02:58 PM

Well, I completed the main story. I guess I'll spoiler this bit.

Spoiler!

Frazod 09-18-2023 03:11 PM

And as far as Bethesda games go, I'd rank this one below Skyrim and Fallout New Vegas, but above Fallout 3 and Fallout 4. Definitely better to search for artifacts than some brat while Preston whines about you making new settlements while he wanders around Sanctuary doing nothing.

Imon Yourside 09-20-2023 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17117811)
And as far as Bethesda games go, I'd rank this one below Skyrim and Fallout New Vegas, but above Fallout 3 and Fallout 4. Definitely better to search for artifacts than some brat while Preston whines about you making new settlements while he wanders around Sanctuary doing nothing.

I put Fallout 3 1st followed by Oblivion. The rest are kind of in the same tier, but I haven't played Starfield yet. I'll get around to it later ;)

Btw there are several mods that replace Garvey with someone else

gh4chiefs 09-26-2023 06:49 AM

PSA warning. If you have a ship with a gun rack DO NOT store your excess guns there. If you do, they will disappear. I thought maybe I did something wrong, so I googled it, and it's a known bug. Unfortunately I wish I would have known it BEFORE I lost the good stuff.

Frazod 09-26-2023 07:43 AM

Storage logistics is a huge pain in the ass. I still haven't really figured out the settlement thing, but I have one outpost where I keep most of my shit that's really buggy, and I don't have the skills built up to build warehouses that I assume will link to the inventory. So I have to store all my shit in crates and pick up and later put down everything manually. That sucks. And of course there are so many other more interesting things I want to spend skill points on than creating useful storage. Ugh.

The Fallout 4 system was so much easier. You just transferred shit to the workbench directly and then it was there. Hopefully somebody will create a mod that changes this, because managing ****ing outposts completely sucks the fun out of the game. Or maybe I just need to learn it better or I'm missing something basic, but still, it sucks and is needlessly difficult.

gh4chiefs 09-26-2023 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17131004)
is needlessly difficult.

I'm finding a LOT of the game mechanics could be described that way. I'm still struggling with navigation. It seems like if I travel to a planet 10 times, I have to do it one way 9 times, and on the 10th trip I have to do it a different way. It's maddening. So it's either a bug or some game mechanic I don't understand. Which takes me back to my first comment. Really Bethesda, does it have to be THIS complicated just to do simple tasks?

Frazod 09-26-2023 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gh4chiefs (Post 17131069)
I'm finding a LOT of the game mechanics could be described that way. I'm still struggling with navigation. It seems like if I travel to a planet 10 times, I have to do it one way 9 times, and on the 10th trip I have to do it a different way. It's maddening. So it's either a bug or some game mechanic I don't understand. Which takes me back to my first comment. Really Bethesda, does it have to be THIS complicated just to do simple tasks?

I haven't started in on the mods yet, but that's coming.

Of course, all of these games are twitchy in the beginning. Between their own fixes and mods, they mostly smooth out.

And of course, it just takes time to figure shit out. I was just as lost with the shipbuilding a couple of weeks ago as I am with the outpost building now, and I've got that aspect down pretty well. Of course, shipbuilding is fun, and outpost building really doesn't interest me all that much. My biggest problem with shipbuilding is raising the cash to afford the expensive cool parts, while needing to buy throwaway shit to add to a garbage ship I'll never use which will allow me to meet the requirements of leveling up to be able to buy the expensive cool parts in the first place. :banghead:

But this game's fun. Fun, goddammit.

https://y.yarn.co/13b52553-d1fb-4868...2fb39_text.gif

gh4chiefs 09-26-2023 09:58 AM

I've put a lot of time into it and I'm not sure I've found the "fun" part yet. LOL (Which begs the question, why in the hell am I playing this?)

I haven't come close to ship building or ANY kind of crafting/building for that matter. And I don't really know that I want to. I think the older I get, the less tolerance I have for complexity in video games. Which means the clock is rapidly ticking on my gaming days. :(

gh4chiefs 09-26-2023 04:14 PM

Interestingly I thought I wouldn't get caught up in outpost building or ship modification and then I stumbled across this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKTjyx-1ES4 and I've now built my first outpost. It's is a ROYAL PAIN IN THE ASS to find the spot this guy is talking about in this video, but if you can find it and you follow his directions, you can pretty much end up with an endless supply of Aluminum, Nickel, Cobalt, and Iron.

Frazod 09-26-2023 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gh4chiefs (Post 17131760)
Interestingly I thought I wouldn't get caught up in outpost building or ship modification and then I stumbled across this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKTjyx-1ES4 and I've now built my first outpost. It's is a ROYAL PAIN IN THE ASS to find the spot this guy is talking about in this video, but if you can find it and you follow his directions, you can pretty much end up with an endless supply of Aluminum, Nickel, Cobalt, and Iron.

Been there, done that. That's my main base that's buggy as ****.

Enjoy. :D

Fish 09-27-2023 05:16 PM

<blockquote class="reddit-embed-bq" style="height:500px" data-embed-height="500"><a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/comments/16tojzp/begun_the_star_wars_mods_have/">Begun the Star Wars Mods have</a><br> by<a href="https://www.reddit.com/user/Space_Scumbag/">u/Space_Scumbag</a> in<a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/">Starfield</a></blockquote><script async="" src="https://embed.reddit.com/widgets.js" charset="UTF-8"></script>

Wallcrawler 10-06-2023 08:45 AM

My game will be virtually suspended in free roaming and roaming around until the mods are released.

New Game plus is meant to be starting a new playthrough, but with EVERYTHING you currently have.

I'm not losing my Millenium Falcon that I spent literal weeks grinding money and levels to finally get built, just to lose it starting a new game plus run. That's ****ing stupid as ****.

Why would I play your game to ng+10 before trying to settle in on finalizing outposts and a ship collection?

So dumb.

I haven't progressed the story that much anyway, just been building ships and tinkering with outposts and side quests.

When the mods come out and I can get all my shit that I had back, (or preferably not lose it at all) then I'll play future playthroughs.

Frazod 10-07-2023 03:16 PM

Goddamn this game is buggy as ****.

Captured a really big, cool Ecliptic ship early in my current playthrough. Dropped about 100,000 credits upgrading it, but when I make it my home ship, it disappears from the landing field. I've had that happen before, but I could always use fast travel as a work around. Not this time, though. It's just flat out broken. Tried switching ships at multiple locations, and the same ****ing thing happens every time.

Had a really good outpost like that in my last playthrough, only in that one, every time I approached it the game crashed. Tried to reach it multiple times from multiple directions - always the same. I couldn't even get to the builder thing to delete and rebuild it.

Mostly it works, but there is a level of glitch in this game at certain times that is as permanent as death.

Fix your shit, Bethesda. And **** you. 4321

Wallcrawler 10-11-2023 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17151854)
Goddamn this game is buggy as ****.

Captured a really big, cool Ecliptic ship early in my current playthrough. Dropped about 100,000 credits upgrading it, but when I make it my home ship, it disappears from the landing field. I've had that happen before, but I could always use fast travel as a work around. Not this time, though. It's just flat out broken. Tried switching ships at multiple locations, and the same ****ing thing happens every time.

Had a really good outpost like that in my last playthrough, only in that one, every time I approached it the game crashed. Tried to reach it multiple times from multiple directions - always the same. I couldn't even get to the builder thing to delete and rebuild it.

Mostly it works, but there is a level of glitch in this game at certain times that is as permanent as death.

Fix your shit, Bethesda. And **** you. 4321

Lmao buddy of mine has the maximum number of outposts built to churn out his materials and shit, but now with that, anytime he tries to sleep, or wait, it literally takes ****ing FOREVER to progress the time.

I guess the game chokes on the data processing how many materials will be generated on the hours passed, so yeah. If you want smooth wait times, don't go crazy on outposts.

Fish 10-11-2023 11:46 PM

Man, this game ****ed me over in the most frustrating way.

So, I took a quest on a really distant planet. I was supposed to go here and retrieve an old wedding ring for a Crimson Trace bartender. When I got there, I immediately saw a really cool looking huge ship land. Of course, I went into pirate mode. I killed everyone and stole it. Upon liftoff, I realized that this ship had considerably shorter travel distance, and I couldn't actually travel to any other planet to get to any more of my ships. I went back to where my original ship was, and the damn thing was gone. I was completely stuck. Couldn't fast travel, and there were no ship techs anywhere.

I was stuck hanging around this dumb planet for hours. Finally another ship landed that I could steal, which was capable of traveling to another planet.

Sassy Squatch 10-12-2023 07:27 AM

LMAO Good Grief, dude. That's what quicksaves and autosa es are for

Wallcrawler 10-12-2023 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassy Squatch (Post 17161771)
LMAO Good Grief, dude. That's what quicksaves and autosa es are for

Yeah, there's no way that should have happened.

If you aren't making regular hard saves in a Bethesda title, any lost time you may encounter is kinda on you at this point.

Fish 10-12-2023 09:18 AM

I had an autosave I could have used, but I would have lost about 45 minutes, 2 new stolen ships, and a badass gun I found on a dead pirate.

Fish 10-12-2023 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 17161925)

If you aren't making regular hard saves in a Bethesda title, any lost time you may encounter is kinda on you at this point.

How can you be such an insufferable dick in all the media threads?

Sassy Squatch 10-12-2023 10:12 AM

Yeah that sucks but man, if you're being literal and wandered around for HOURS that's just a bit much. I'd cut my losses and go.

Frazod 10-12-2023 12:21 PM

The worst thing that's happened in my current playthrough is a complete inventory loss. I did something that bugged the game, there was no fixing it, and my choices were either to loss seven levels going back to my last hard save or simply deal with it. I dealt with it, but was not happy.

As much as I enjoy doing it, I don't bother capturing ships in combat anymore. That just seems to open the door to hidden problems. I'll still capture the ones that are parked on a planet, but I'm careful to do it only if I have a base nearby (ran into a lesser version of the issue Fish encountered). And I don't modify them or use them as a base ship or modify them - I just loot them and sell them.

Found a quest I hadn't noticed before given by Walter that ended up giving me what is probably the best Class C ship in the game. I've done all my high level upgrades on that one. It's got six top level engines, about 6000 cargo capacity, 12 top level weapons and 100 mobility. That seems to be as good as it gets.

I'm finally figuring shit out when it comes to the outposts, but it's still so massively convoluted that the annoyance factor pretty much runs neck and neck with the fun factor. I see some of the shit people have built in YouTube videos and I simply can't imagine wasting that much time and putting in that much effort. Plus, every time you start a new one there's a chance it'll bug out - I have one that I can take resources from, but if I try to do anything else there the game crashes, so other than being a reliable source of copper, it's ****ed. And I have noticed that load times go way up when I'm at an outpost, and now I know why (thanks Wallcrawler). I'll still try to build new ones, but I don't think I'll attempt maxing them out.

Wallcrawler 10-12-2023 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 17162004)
How can you be such an insufferable dick in all the media threads?

Lol. Cry more.

Its not like Bethesda games are shining examples of gaming perfection. It literally takes 2 seconds to hard save the game.

Not saving a Bethesda title for 45 minutes, well thats just you dropping your panties, spreading your cheeks and begging to be pink socked.

Then you want to go running to report the assault you asked for.

If me pointing out this quite common knowledge makes me a dick, so be it.

You probably blame the fire when you burn yourself too.

hometeam 10-12-2023 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 17161925)

True.

But the fact that you have too, and the playerbase knows you have too, isnt a player problem, its a dev problem.

Wallcrawler 10-12-2023 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 17163410)
True.

But the fact that you have too, and the playerbase knows you have too, isnt a player problem, its a dev problem.

Wrong.

The devs are who they are. A mediocre development team that habitually launches beta quality product, who is content to let the modding community fix their product and get it into a playable state.

This is not New Heights Neeeeew Neeeeeews. Its been bethesdas badge of shame/honor for well over a decade.

Players expecting this leopard to have changed its spots and all of a sudden now you dont need to vigilantly monitor and make frequent backups of your progress are just unfathomably foolish.

Thats like expecting EA to release a Madden game better than NFL 2k5, a game that launched 18 years and 3 console generations ago, and then bitching when its exactly the ****ing same as their previously released product. Understand what youre buying, and who from.

hometeam 10-13-2023 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 17166186)
Wrong.

The devs are who they are. A mediocre development team that habitually launches beta quality product, who is content to let the modding community fix their product and get it into a playable state.

This is not New Heights Neeeeew Neeeeeews. Its been bethesdas badge of shame/honor for well over a decade.

Players expecting this leopard to have changed its spots and all of a sudden now you dont need to vigilantly monitor and make frequent backups of your progress are just unfathomably foolish.

Thats like expecting EA to release a Madden game better than NFL 2k5, a game that launched 18 years and 3 console generations ago, and then bitching when its exactly the ****ing same as their previously released product. Understand what youre buying, and who from.

MEH, MOST PEOPLE ARE CASUALS. THEY DONT KNOW AND SHOULDNT HAVE TOO. EXCUSING BAD DEVS WITH AN INSANE AMOUNT OF MONEY BEHIND THEM IS WTF

Fish 10-13-2023 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 17162894)
Lol. Cry more.

Its not like Bethesda games are shining examples of gaming perfection. It literally takes 2 seconds to hard save the game.

Not saving a Bethesda title for 45 minutes, well thats just you dropping your panties, spreading your cheeks and begging to be pink socked.

Then you want to go running to report the assault you asked for.

If me pointing out this quite common knowledge makes me a dick, so be it.

You probably blame the fire when you burn yourself too.

Cry more? LMAO I was being overdramatic in an effort to be funny. Jesus, dude. How can you even fly a starship with that big stick up your ass? Grumpy bitch in every media thread. You're supposed to enjoy this stuff.

Like I said, I could have easily just used an autosave, but there were multiple items I got that I wanted to keep. Which finally worked out fine.

I thought it was funny.

Wallcrawler 10-14-2023 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 17167804)
Cry more? LMAO I was being overdramatic in an effort to be funny. Jesus, dude. How can you even fly a starship with that big stick up your ass? Grumpy bitch in every media thread. You're supposed to enjoy this stuff.

Like I said, I could have easily just used an autosave, but there were multiple items I got that I wanted to keep. Which finally worked out fine.

I thought it was funny.

I prefer the Stroud Ecklund stick. Deimos feels like I'm ****ing a pop bottle.

Fish 10-15-2023 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 17168173)
I prefer the Stroud Ecklund stick. Deimos feels like I'm ****ing a pop bottle.

https://media.tenor.com/TzPADUN7OlAA...spirit-bgt.gif

Go big or go home. :thumb:

Wallcrawler 10-17-2023 11:13 AM

Getting toward the end of my time with this game, I'm not sure what is happening as I have like 2 outposts with minimal things going on, but the game is just soft locking and hard crashing like crazy.

I'm wondering if it's related to inventory, as in typical Bethesda shopkeeper fashion, they never have enough credits to buy your stuff, so you have to take your value I trade, which has been just cleaning out their ammo stock every time.

So I literally have more ammo than I can really spend.

I get soft locks pausing the game to travel, and if the alloted auto save time has passed, it tries to save but just locks, with all the ambient noise and music still going.

I get hard crashes typically when arriving on a new planet, and taking the first few steps forward, which I believe would also be during an autosace time frame, having just exited the ship.

This crash simply kicks me to the home screen.

I'm not sure if auto saves can be disabled.

I never had any issues like this in the early game, but approaching the 100 hour mark and a literal ****ton of ammo in the inventory at this point I'm leaning toward this being the culprit.

It's getting to the point where I really don't care how the story ends, or how these factions play out when it's just breaking 4-5 times per session.

Frazod 10-17-2023 12:33 PM

I suspect what happened is that you stumbled upon a game break landmine at some point, and unless you can go back to a save point prior to that happening, it won't ever be right and you're just ****ed. And it could be anything. The minute shit gets wonky on me I go back to an earlier save and that generally cures it. I'm at level 77 in my current playthrough, have a bunch of settlements that are starting to get somewhat complex, and don't have any of the issues you're having. And I have tens of thousands of rounds of random ammo just as you do.

The shittiest part for me is that ship capturing is now completely broken, which is apparently a common problem. I don't know if it's just a high level thing, or a hidden landmine thing, but the enemy ships I encounter on planet surfaces no longer spawn crew or open. They land and just sit there, and that's that. So I already couldn't board and capture them in space and now I can't board and capture them on the ground. That sucks balls, because it's the single most fun part of the game.

I still haven't loaded any mods yet, but I suspect the answer lies there.

Wallcrawler 10-17-2023 12:44 PM

I may do that, I have enough individual hard saves that I should be able to locate one that doesn't choke on data when I press to go to the map/inventory/ship screen.

Fish 10-17-2023 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17174274)
I suspect what happened is that you stumbled upon a game break landmine at some point, and unless you can go back to a save point prior to that happening, it won't ever be right and you're just ****ed. And it could be anything. The minute shit gets wonky on me I go back to an earlier save and that generally cures it. I'm at level 77 in my current playthrough, have a bunch of settlements that are starting to get somewhat complex, and don't have any of the issues you're having. And I have tens of thousands of rounds of random ammo just as you do.

The shittiest part for me is that ship capturing is now completely broken, which is apparently a common problem. I don't know if it's just a high level thing, or a hidden landmine thing, but the enemy ships I encounter on planet surfaces no longer spawn crew or open. They land and just sit there, and that's that. So I already couldn't board and capture them in space and now I can't board and capture them on the ground. That sucks balls, because it's the single most fun part of the game.

I still haven't loaded any mods yet, but I suspect the answer lies there.

Yeah, there's been tons of reports of that on reddit as well. It's a known bug.

Frazod 10-17-2023 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 17174321)
Yeah, there's been tons of reports of that on reddit as well. It's a known bug.

I just installed a mod that fixed it (I think). A ship landed and a guy got out. Unfortunately they closed dock before I could get in, but that's happened before; I should have charged for the ship instead of killing him.

Frazod 10-17-2023 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17174562)
I just installed a mod that fixed it (I think). A ship landed and a guy got out. Unfortunately they closed dock before I could get in, but that's happened before; I should have charged for the ship instead of killing him.

So far so good with the patch. I was able to attack and board an enemy ship in space, and when I got onboard, the mission option to take control popped up and the enemy crew was onboard and fighting. All went normally, except that they had a hostage onboard (how the **** would I know that?) who I apparently greased during the melee. That instantly got me a UC bounty and a totally pissed-off space wife, but I was able to pay off the bounty and get back in Sarah's good graces. Was able to register the ship and do some modifications. Fingers crossed.

God bless that modder. Oh, here's the link.

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/4704?tab=posts

Wallcrawler 10-17-2023 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17174562)

I noticed on a lot if these that once the assault crew that gets out is killed, the door closes and leaves.

I like popping phased time and getting by them while they're stuck in slow mo and then boarding the ship.

The most annoying encounter is the one big badass Ecliptic ship, that every single God damn ****ing time I find it, it ALWAYS is being piloted by mother ****ing Bounty Hunters and this for some reason keeps me from stealing the ship.

Frazod 10-17-2023 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 17174913)
I noticed on a lot if these that once the assault crew that gets out is killed, the door closes and leaves.

I like popping phased time and getting by them while they're stuck in slow mo and then boarding the ship.

The most annoying encounter is the one big badass Ecliptic ship, that every single God damn ****ing time I find it, it ALWAYS is being piloted by mother ****ing Bounty Hunters and this for some reason keeps me from stealing the ship.

Hmm, I haven't encountered that yet. All the ships I've boarded I've been able to capture. Did you select the bounty hunter perk when you created your character?

Wallcrawler 10-18-2023 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17174916)
Hmm, I haven't encountered that yet. All the ships I've boarded I've been able to capture. Did you select the bounty hunter perk when you created your character?

Wanted.

Considering just paying off the bounty so they stop appearing.

Yeah it's a known issue whether intended or not, that if a ship on the ground had bounty hunters coming after you, for some reason you always get the message " You are not authorized to pilot this ship"

Even after they're all dead.

I did however finally steal myself a Starborn Guardian ship.

Go to Neon and buy about 10-15 Aurora, and then either create or buy a couple of Amp.

When you land on a planet, as soon as you hear the ship roar, overhead, signifying a ship coming in to land, make a save.

Then pop Amp, and pop Aurora, and keep aurora up constantly for the slow time. Pop phased time also if you have it. Aurora lasts about 8 seconds, so it's good to hot key. Amp lasts longer so you should be good on that.

You need to reach the Starborn ship as it is landing, and reach the door before all of the crew get out.

This makes the door accessible, and you can just take the ship to a ship vendor and register it.

If you don't quite make it just reload your save and try to get there faster. Skip packs work well for this if you're only using a basic.

Wallcrawler 10-18-2023 09:21 PM

**** this game.

Ryujin Storyline is bugged out because the guy I have to talk to on one of the final missions spawns outside of the play area and not inside the news building where he should be.

Entire faction questline done for absolutely nothing.

Imon Yourside 10-19-2023 11:07 AM

Waiting for the modkit release before I jump in, most of the mods are cosmetic..meh

Frazod 10-19-2023 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 17176679)
**** this game.

Ryujin Storyline is bugged out because the guy I have to talk to on one of the final missions spawns outside of the play area and not inside the news building where he should be.

Entire faction questline done for absolutely nothing.

That sucks.

Since I got the ship capture thing working again, my only mission in Starfield life is making new ships. Period. Everything I do builds toward that goal. All I do is this:

1. Fly pirate destroy missions, either killing or capturing ships.

2. I pick one to set aside for a Class C upgrade, and sell the rest.

3. I do random raid quests to gather shit to sell.

4. I spend days in New Atlantis selling my shit.

5. Occasionally I'll add shit to an outpost that I visit to get a new mission, go on the odd EXP-farming safari, hire a new follower for an outpost, or tweak an existing ship, just because I can.

6. When I amass around 700K credits, I build the new ship, each one different than the last.

7. Then I start all over again.

That's it.

I don't give a crap about the main quest or the jump-through-hoops side quests. Sergeant Yumi has a better chance of finding a space unicorn than ever seeing me again, regardless of how many New Atlantis flatfoots tell me that he's looking for me. I ignore my space wife when she tries to give my a ****ing aromatic space leaf; she exists only for fire support and EXP bonus ****s, although I do flirt with her occasionally. I have long since maxed out my piloting skills, so I banished that nasty creep Barrett to a distant outpost that I don't ever visit. I would do the same with that weepy redneck douche Coe, but even if I send him away his ****ing brat stays on my ship forever, so there's no point to it.

I've gotten pretty good at avoiding game bugs. The main thing is quick saving prior to boarding a ship in case the game wigs out; I've noticed that the bulbous-looking Taiyo based ships tend to have the most issues. After capturing one recently I noticed that my ship inventory had blipped out, so I went back to quicksave, transferred all 8,000 pounds of shit to myself, then put it back into my homeship with no further issues. **** you, Bethesda.

I guess I'll keep doing this until I finally get bored with it, but I'm not there yet. This is the Constitution, the coolest ship I've created so far.

https://scontent-ord5-2.xx.fbcdn.net...Xg&oe=65372EF7

Fish 10-19-2023 02:17 PM

Yeah, this is definitely the worst bunch of NPC teammates in any Bethesda game. Most of them are just annoying as hell. And collectively they are just way too "Goody two-shoes." There really needs to be an HK-47 type teammate that you can go do evil stuff with and not put up with constant whining and threats to leave.

Frazod 10-19-2023 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 17177583)
Yeah, this is definitely the worst bunch of NPC teammates in any Bethesda game. Most of them are just annoying as hell. And collectively they are just way too "Goody two-shoes." There really needs to be an HK-47 type teammate that you can go do evil stuff with and not put up with constant whining and threats to leave.

Based on what I've seen/read, if you want to go full evil (which I haven't done yet), bring Vasco with you as a companion. He doesn't give a **** what you do. And the other companions won't react to it later.

But yeah, I agree the followers in the game are pretty lame. The best one is Andreja, and unfortunately in my current playthrough she's dead (I was hoping that if I saved Sarah, Barrett would die - didn't work). Barrett is the worst NPC follower in Bethesda history and it's not even close. He's basically a creepy gay sexual predator version of Preston Garvey. Ugh. When he says "I have something for you" it makes my skin crawl. I'd sooner have Jar Jar Binks as a companion. Sam Coe is basically a redneck version of Carth from KOTOR, mopey and whiny BUT ALSO with a mouthy brat in tow (I hate kids). :grr: I understand he has a personal quest line, which I've heard can create a horrible game breaking bug, but even if it didn't I wouldn't play it. **** him and his problems. I guess Sarah is tolerable, although she's an annoying prude. I guess if you ever wanted to travel the galaxy with your 5th grade social studies teacher, she's your girl. But she's a tiger in the sack, so there is that. :D

Wallcrawler 10-21-2023 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 17177522)
That sucks.

Since I got the ship capture thing working again, my only mission in Starfield life is making new ships. Period. Everything I do builds toward that goal. All I do is this:

1. Fly pirate destroy missions, either killing or capturing ships.

2. I pick one to set aside for a Class C upgrade, and sell the rest.

3. I do random raid quests to gather shit to sell.

4. I spend days in New Atlantis selling my shit.

5. Occasionally I'll add shit to an outpost that I visit to get a new mission, go on the odd EXP-farming safari, hire a new follower for an outpost, or tweak an existing ship, just because I can.

6. When I amass around 700K credits, I build the new ship, each one different than the last.

7. Then I start all over again.

That's it.

I don't give a crap about the main quest or the jump-through-hoops side quests. Sergeant Yumi has a better chance of finding a space unicorn than ever seeing me again, regardless of how many New Atlantis flatfoots tell me that he's looking for me. I ignore my space wife when she tries to give my a ****ing aromatic space leaf; she exists only for fire support and EXP bonus ****s, although I do flirt with her occasionally. I have long since maxed out my piloting skills, so I banished that nasty creep Barrett to a distant outpost that I don't ever visit. I would do the same with that weepy redneck douche Coe, but even if I send him away his ****ing brat stays on my ship forever, so there's no point to it.

I've gotten pretty good at avoiding game bugs. The main thing is quick saving prior to boarding a ship in case the game wigs out; I've noticed that the bulbous-looking Taiyo based ships tend to have the most issues. After capturing one recently I noticed that my ship inventory had blipped out, so I went back to quicksave, transferred all 8,000 pounds of shit to myself, then put it back into my homeship with no further issues. **** you, Bethesda.

I guess I'll keep doing this until I finally get bored with it, but I'm not there yet. This is the Constitution, the coolest ship I've created so far.

https://scontent-ord5-2.xx.fbcdn.net...Xg&oe=65372EF7

That's a badass ship.

I spent the majority of my 100 hours playing this game grinding to 60 to unlock all ship parts, and then building ships.

I've got a Millenium Falcon, Ebon Hawk from KOTOR, and Serenity from Firefly. I turned the Mantis quest reward ship, the Razorleaf into the Batwing. It's cool because the Razorleaf has a perk where evil enemy ships have a chance to flee when they see it. So turning it into the Batwing was a no brainer.

My other 6 ship slots serve as placeholders for ships I steal and one slot is reserved for the next build.

Until all the stupid quest breaking bugs get fixed I'm done with anything besides tinkering and collecting money to further the hobby.

Frazod 10-21-2023 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 17179787)
That's a badass ship.

I spent the majority of my 100 hours playing this game grinding to 60 to unlock all ship parts, and then building ships.

I've got a Millenium Falcon, Ebon Hawk from KOTOR, and Serenity from Firefly. I turned the Mantis quest reward ship, the Razorleaf into the Batwing. It's cool because the Razorleaf has a perk where evil enemy ships have a chance to flee when they see it. So turning it into the Batwing was a no brainer.

My other 6 ship slots serve as placeholders for ships I steal and one slot is reserved for the next build.

Until all the stupid quest breaking bugs get fixed I'm done with anything besides tinkering and collecting money to further the hobby.

I'm up to Level 90 now. Still just doing the raising money/stealing ships/upgrading ships thing. I was having a problem with my inventory blipping out, and then it occurred to me that I had no need to haul around 8,000 units of shit I don't use anymore, so I built massive storage at my main outpost and just keep it all there. I only have minimal stuff on my ships now, and my newer ships don't have very much cargo capacity. Also, when I capture a ship, I immediately transfer all the inventory to myself, take it to one of my outposts, then switch back to my main ship and retransfer the loot manually. It's a bit of a pain (especially dealing with all the stupid miscellaneous items), but keeping the inventory size down alleviates that, and also the game isn't bugging out on me at all now when I capture stuff. I sell new stuff immediately, which also keeps inventory down. All new level-up perks go into making the ships better.

I guess I could keep improving outposts, but I just have no interest in it. The logistics of linking stuff is just too much of burden and isn't fun at all. I make sure my existing outposts are staffed and protected by turrets and security robots and other than that I leave them alone. When I need to make new meds I just go to my main base. The meds that slow time are really cool for combat when I'm going up against the main boss or get dogpiled. Eventually I may wax one of my existing outposts so I can build a new one in deep hostile territory, but I'm worried that might introduce more bug issues. For now I'm content just doing what I do.

Still can't get mods to work. Vortex sucked for my other games and is absolutely useless for this one.

Frazod 10-24-2023 10:33 PM

Just hit level 100. Still doing to pirating the pirates thing and using the plunder to upgrade stuff. Although at this point I'm pretty much tinkered out. I've sold twice as many modified ships as I still have in my fleet. I've got bulky tanks, mid range stuff, and this nasty little Class B bastard which lays waste to everything. 180 speed, 97 mobility and 11 turret weapons. I use it to wipe out all the Crimson Tide assholes around Kryx to farm experience points.

https://scontent-ord5-1.xx.fbcdn.net...iA&oe=653D74DD

ToxSocks 10-25-2023 10:47 AM

Keeping up on this thread and it sounds like it's gonna be a good idea to give this game a year or two to marinate.