ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports The Cleveland Guardians? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=339157)

smithandrew051 07-23-2021 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 15751938)
I don't understand how bad the names of some of the new teams are.

Las Vegas Golden Knights
Cleveland Guardians
Almost every team in MLS

The Kraken is actually a cool name for Seattle, but that is it.

Kraken has a pretty sweet logo too

ClevelandBronco 07-23-2021 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15751888)
Guardians? What the **** are they guarding? :spock:.

Traffic, weirdly enough. These are the Guardians. They're on a bridge in Cleveland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope_M..._(cropped).jpg

http://www.pauldudagallery.com/image...ardian-182.jpg

http://www.pauldudagallery.com/image...ardian-182.jpg

Rain Man 07-23-2021 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15751960)
**** it. Cleveland Ermines. That's what I'm gonna call them. You're all welcome to join me

They never even gave us a chance to provide input. Ermines it is.

dmahurin 07-23-2021 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 15752127)
No doubt, they have some pretty cool iconography. I just.. eh. Sports team mascots turn into caricatures pretty quickly. It's best not to involve figures from religions that are actively being practiced since they can easily be seen as making a mockery of something pretty serious to a lot of people.

As a loose example, I don't think the anti-woke Christian crowd here in America would love it if they found out a soccer team in Vietnam went by the name of the Water Walkers and Jesus was their mascot. At the games, people would show up with bloody crowns of thorns and fake nails in their hands and feet.

That sounds awesome.

morphius 07-23-2021 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmahurin (Post 15752254)
That sounds awesome.

I'd cheer for them!

DJJasonp 07-23-2021 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 15752127)
As a loose example, I don't think the anti-woke Christian crowd here in America would love it if they found out a soccer team in Vietnam went by the name of the Water Walkers and Jesus was their mascot. At the games, people would show up with bloody crowns of thorns and fake nails in their hands and feet.

this is awesome idea, and should have been used!

who is going to believe they can beat the son of god!!!!

Rain Man 07-23-2021 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 15751812)
So, Chiefs is gonna be gone soon right?

Errrrmineeees!

carcosa 07-23-2021 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 15751812)
So, Chiefs is gonna be gone soon right?

I think the team has done a decent job of minimizing the Native imagery that is more problematic than the name itself, but I won't be the least bit upset if they do go ahead and change it. Monarchs would be perfect and worth buying from the former T-Bones. Some other names that could be fun:
  • Burnt Ends
  • Smokers
  • Yardbirds (after Charlie Parker)
  • Nighthawks (after the Coon-Sanders Original Nighthawk Orchestra, which was the first KC jazz band to gain national prominence. Please do not suggest any of the other words in the band's name)
  • Fountaineers (okay this one is stupid but still kinda fun imho)
  • Steamboats (after the Arabia and also "Arabians" would not go over well)
  • Tornadoes (why isn't there a major pro team called the Tornadoes???)
  • Unions, Scouts, Kings (former KC sport team names that would work well)
  • Mobsters (celebrating KC's organized crime history!)
  • Sevillians (celebrating KC's sister city, Seville, Spain)
  • Barbers (like The Barber of Seville??)

I dunno man, I get the appeal of Tradition and all that, but I simply don't feel threatened by the prospect of a name change. If anything, it's an opportunity for something new and fun. I think we would all get used to it a lot quicker than we think, too. Either way I'm not losing sleep over it!

carcosa 07-23-2021 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitism (Post 15751755)
Not a single Native American gave a shit.

People love to say this but it simply isn't true. If you actually cared about whether Natives are offended by the mascots and logos, you'd do ten seconds of research and find plenty of writing from Natives who explain why they are. Like this guy:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">So the <a href="https://twitter.com/MLB?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@MLB</a> team Cleveland are changing their name from the <a href="https://twitter.com/Indians?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Indians</a> to the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Guardians?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Guardians</a>.<br><br>As a Native journalist that has covered sports and Native mascots for years -- I am so glad to say goodbye to the horrendous image of <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ChiefWahoo?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ChiefWahoo</a> <br><br>Here are my thoughts in a <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/thread?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#thread</a> <a href="https://t.co/QaHcjvlPzB">pic.twitter.com/QaHcjvlPzB</a></p>&mdash; Vincent Schilling (@VinceSchilling) <a href="https://twitter.com/VinceSchilling/status/1418615210689052677?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 23, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He acknowledges that he doesn't speak for all Native people and that some don't care. But his larger point is that these names and logos tend to warp people's perceptions of Native history and traditions, which contributes to their overall erasure. I personally think that's reason enough to change them, or to at least for teams to connect with local tribes to work on ways to actually "honor" their history. "You're racist if you root for the Chiefs" is not helpful or true, but it's also not what most Native people who speak on the subject are saying. They would just like a little respect, and considering our history, we owe them at least that much, imho.

carcosa 07-23-2021 02:00 PM

(Also, the Native people who don't care about this subject tend to focus on much more pressing issues instead, and I get the feeling that most of the white people who lose their shit over sports team name changes would not love the Native solutions to those problems, either...)

R8RFAN 07-23-2021 02:01 PM

Chiefs are next

R8RFAN 07-23-2021 02:03 PM

I have a good catchy new name for your team because you know it's gonna happen sooner or later, I am not into politically correct personally but a good name would be.

KC Rockers

smithandrew051 07-23-2021 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8RFAN (Post 15752344)
Chiefs are next

Maybe not next, but soon

R8RFAN 07-23-2021 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 15752347)
Maybe not next, but soon

it's horseshit too

R Clark 07-23-2021 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carcosa (Post 15752304)
I think the team has done a decent job of minimizing the Native imagery that is more problematic than the name itself, but I won't be the least bit upset if they do go ahead and change it. Monarchs would be perfect and worth buying from the former T-Bones. Some other names that could be fun:
  • Burnt Ends
  • Smokers
  • Nighthawks (after the Coon-Sanders Original Nighthawk Orchestra, which was the first KC jazz band to gain national prominence. Please do not suggest any of the other words in the band's name)

I dunno man, I get the appeal of Tradition and all that, but I simply don't feel threatened by the prospect of a name change. If anything, it's an opportunity for something new and fun. I think we would all get used to it a lot quicker than we think, too. Either way I'm not losing sleep over it!

Easy to see your not from or anywhere near kc and haven’t been a fan very long.I can’t imagine anyone on this board in agreement with your take as it sucks the big penis.I personally know more than a few Native Americans and not one of them have a problem with Chiefs

carcosa 07-23-2021 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R Clark (Post 15752355)
Easy to see your not from or anywhere near kc and haven’t been a fan very long.I can’t imagine anyone on this board in agreement with your take as it sucks the big penis.I personally know more than a few Native Americans and not one of them have a problem with Chiefs

I was born in Kansas City, Missouri and have been a Chiefs fan since before I can remember but okay lmao

And if you actually read my posts instead of reflexively smashing the thumbs down button, you'd see that I acknowledge that there are plenty of Natives who don't care. And I happen to be friends with plenty of other people who were born and raised in Kansas City and are huge Chiefs fans who actually do agree with me. So whose anecdotal evidence wins now????

carcosa 07-23-2021 02:11 PM

Hating Steve Bono is literally my earliest memory and you're going to tell me that I haven't been a Chiefs fan for very long because I have a different opinion about whether it's okay to appropriate Native cultures lmaoooooooo

carcosa 07-23-2021 02:17 PM

I would love it if even a single person opposed to these name changes could engage with the idea thoughtfully instead of lashing out like a scared child. You don't even have to change your mind, just don't be weird for two seconds lol

As I've said before, I don't even really think the Chiefs need to change their name. I'm just not opposed to it if they do! Because the argument in favor of changing it makes sense to me! Sorry for the ~*~nuance~*~

eDave 07-23-2021 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carcosa (Post 15752365)
Hating Steve Bono is literally my earliest memory and you're going to tell me that I haven't been a Chiefs fan for very long because I have a different opinion about whether it's okay to appropriate Native cultures lmaoooooooo

The only jersey I own is Bono's. I put duct tape over the name. Get's a few laughs.

carcosa 07-23-2021 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 15752388)
The only jersey I own is Bono's. I put duct tape over the name. Get's a few laughs.

Wearing a Bono jersey is more offensive than the name Chiefs tbh

KCUnited 07-23-2021 02:24 PM

https://i.imgur.com/nQVy9Yo.jpg?1

carcosa 07-23-2021 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 15752394)

I don't love the name Guardians but this is a pretty good argument for why the logo actually whips ass

smithandrew051 07-23-2021 02:38 PM

The Kansas City Trivia Kings!!!!!

carcosa 07-23-2021 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 15752421)
The Kansas City Trivia Kings!!!!!

Okay now that's a good idea!!!!!!!!!

carcosa 07-23-2021 02:40 PM

The Kansas City Cumblasters... KC Wolf shoots a thick rope every time we score...

Mennonite 07-23-2021 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carcosa (Post 15752395)
I don't love the name Guardians but this is a pretty good argument for why the logo actually whips ass

Yep. Queer band with a fan base as white as rice and as old as dirt - who better for a Cleveland baseball team to emulate?

Graystoke 07-23-2021 04:13 PM

Cleveland Indians former name was Cleveland Naps.

Ok, that makes me sleepy

cosmo20002 07-23-2021 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carcosa (Post 15752304)
  • Burnt Ends
  • Smokers

I'm sure you mean well, but this is like a list if you were purposefully trying to think of terrible names.

carcosa 07-23-2021 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 15752712)
I'm sure you mean well, but this is like a list if you were purposefully trying to think of terrible names.

Okay the ones I'll actually stand by are Monarchs, Yardbirds, and Nighthawks. My main point is just that there are tons of KC-specific things you could pull from and it's a fun exercise. Tradition is nice and all but I just don't see change like this as inherently negative.

Sassy Squatch 07-23-2021 04:59 PM

IF we ever did get to the point where the Chiefs had to change their name, would the league let us use Monarchs or are they trying to save that for London?

carcosa 07-23-2021 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 15752719)
IF we ever did get to the point where the Chiefs had to change their name, would the league let us use Monarchs or are they trying to save that for London?

Oh they ****in better not, NFL Europe can eat my ass

eDave 07-23-2021 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 15752719)

Monarchs? Gross.

MTG#10 07-23-2021 05:06 PM

I have Norwegian and Irish ancestors, I demand the Vikings and Fighting Irish change their names.

Just kidding, I'm not an over-sensitive, effeminate little bitch.

Rain Man 07-23-2021 05:14 PM

Barkevious Mingo really could have used this when he played for the Browns.

Police: Why are you with this young boy? Are you a parent?
Mingo: I'm a Guardian.
Police: Oh. Okay. Never mind.

kcxiv 07-23-2021 05:46 PM

You can bet they are coming for the Chiefs next. Im literally arguing with dumbasses about it. I was like i wanna see that same ****ing energy about the Vikings, Celtics and Fighting Irish, because if its not there, yall some ****ing hypocrites. lol

New World Order 07-23-2021 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 15752712)

Hey, that's the Trivia King

You show some respect!!!

Halfcan 07-23-2021 06:28 PM

Sounds like a brand of condoms.

carcosa 07-23-2021 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 15752728)
I have Norwegian and Irish ancestors, I demand the Vikings and Fighting Irish change their names.

Just kidding, I'm not an over-sensitive, effeminate little bitch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 15752781)
You can bet they are coming for the Chiefs next. Im literally arguing with dumbasses about it. I was like i wanna see that same ****ing energy about the Vikings, Celtics and Fighting Irish, because if its not there, yall some ****ing hypocrites. lol

You guys seriously can't think of any historical context that might make those situations completely different than this one?

carcosa 07-23-2021 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 15752783)
Hey, that's the Trivia King

You show some respect!!!

THANK you!!!!

Frazod 07-23-2021 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 15752781)

The wife is a Braves fan. I told her today "we're next." :shake:

MTG#10 07-23-2021 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carcosa (Post 15752817)
You guys seriously can't think of any historical context that might make those situations completely different than this one?

No. Please indulge us.

ChiefGator 07-23-2021 07:54 PM

It will be so much better for Native Americans when we stop being reminded they exists... I think...

Valiant 07-23-2021 08:00 PM

Incel white knights will love it.

scho63 07-23-2021 08:03 PM

Cleveland Steamers more fitting

scho63 07-23-2021 08:04 PM

Cleveland White Cux even better

BleedingRed 07-23-2021 08:07 PM

Seriously can they just use green uniforms so we can deep fake what ever image we want? Chiefs for me vs. what ever dildo rainbow team you want. We can have preference filters.

ThyKingdomCome15 07-23-2021 08:40 PM

Cleveland Care Bears would have been better.

JohnnyHammersticks 07-23-2021 10:06 PM

Cleveland Guardians?? Is this real life??

https://media3.giphy.com/media/ji6zz...giphy.gif&ct=g

JohnnyHammersticks 07-24-2021 12:08 AM

Fast forward to the 2025 season and say hello to Patrick Mahomes and the 4-time defending Super Bowl champion Kansas City Fountains.

Don't shoot the messenger...

TEX 07-24-2021 02:51 AM

Quote:

No. And that shouldn't matter. If its offensive to a certain group of people, then its offensive, regardless of reason... But Im glad u brought it up, because its an excellent example of just how hypocritical the woke crowd is. Not only do you / they get to tell us what is offensive, you / they get to also tell us what our reasoning for being offended should be. :rolleyes:

Flying High D 07-24-2021 03:49 AM

Kansas City RainStorms

The wetter the better

ThaVirus 07-24-2021 06:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 15752834)
No. Please indulge us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 15753080)
No. And that shouldn't matter.:

Oh, come the **** on lol

MTG#10 07-24-2021 07:15 AM

I get the Redskins name change. I get the removal of Chief Wahoo. But anyone who has a problem with the teams being named Indians, Braves, or Chiefs are over-sensitive, effeminate bitches. Period.

lcarus 07-24-2021 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 15753138)
I get the Redskins name change. I get the removal of Chief Wahoo. But anyone who has a problem with the teams being named Indians, Braves, or Chiefs are over-sensitive, effeminate bitches. Period.

I think I figured out a solution to this problem. Gather everyone who regularly uses the word "problematic" and shoot them into deep space.

oldman 07-24-2021 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 15751856)
I still think, if they wanted to, they could get ahead of it by utilizing Chiefs from different cultures. Most civilizations had a Chief you could choose from, and we use the name in our military as well, so we could even have some of them. We have chosen to be more inclusive and celebrate Chiefs from around the world...

I agree, the team wasn't named for any ethnic group's leader, it was named for H Roe Bartle, aka The Chief.

Back to subject. I don't know how they came up with that name, but it is pretty lame.

TEX 07-24-2021 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 15753125)
Oh, come the **** on lol

:lame:
Please explain, what I perceive to be your hypocritical opinion, because all you have offered thus far is, "Oh, come on" :rolleyes:

Spott 07-24-2021 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 15752214)

I always wondered what those old statues were for. They looks a lot more dilapidated now than they do in those pictures.

gblowfish 07-24-2021 10:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And here come the Memes...

Easy 6 07-24-2021 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carcosa (Post 15752428)
The Kansas City Cumblasters... KC Wolf shoots a thick rope every time we score...

Not sure if I should LMAO or :facepalm:, maybe both...

ping2000 07-24-2021 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 15753298)

Quality work right there.

FlaChief58 07-24-2021 11:48 AM

Wtf are they guarding? Cleveland doesn't have anything anyone wants

Mennonite 07-24-2021 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlaChief58 (Post 15753405)

Maybe their are guarding America by keeping Cleveland from spreading?

lewdog 07-24-2021 12:03 PM

On par with the New Orleans Pelicans as a dumb name. Plus the logo is horrendous.

Spott 07-24-2021 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlaChief58 (Post 15753405)

They keep the sun away from Cleveland and make sure every day is dark and miserable. They are excellent at their jobs.

Rain Man 07-24-2021 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 15753298)

That's awesome.

Deberg_1990 07-24-2021 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 15753426)
On par with the New Orleans Pelicans as a dumb name. Plus the logo is horrendous.

At least Pelicans makes sense for Louisiana

But yea, it’s not a very good mascot. It just sounds weak.

Beef Supreme 07-24-2021 03:01 PM

https://external-content.duckduckgo....gif&f=1&nofb=1

TomBarndtsTwin 07-24-2021 03:08 PM

****ing dumb name.

Hopefully the Chiefs don’t bow to the PC pressure, but if they eventually do I take some comfort in the fact that no possible way do they pick a name as ****ing dumb as this one.

. . . . . . . . . I hope.

KCUnited 07-24-2021 03:14 PM

At this point anyone doubting that the Chiefs are going to make the absolute perfect decisions on any matter can get crippled in a polio blanket.

Chief Roundup 07-24-2021 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15751793)
Not sure I would go that far considering a pitcher on the Cardinals had a ****in meltdown about the Braves during their playoff series.

Huh?

Chief Roundup 07-24-2021 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 15751856)
I still think, if they wanted to, they could get ahead of it by utilizing Chiefs from different cultures. Most civilizations had a Chief you could choose from, and we use the name in our military as well, so we could even have some of them. We have chosen to be more inclusive and celebrate Chiefs from around the world...

Yeah, other than the whole Arrowhead thing.

srvy 07-24-2021 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 15753696)
Yeah, other than the whole Arrowhead thing.

Native Americans don't have exclusive rights to the arrowheads. Do you think Native Americans invented the bow and arrow and tips?

srvy 07-24-2021 04:27 PM

The earliest arrowheads found were in South Africa dated 64000 years ago.

lewdog 07-24-2021 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 15753709)

World is only 6000 years old so.............

srvy 07-24-2021 04:37 PM

Ill go further and say NA's don't have exclusive rights to war drums and skull crushing hand weapons. NA's called them tomahawks others had different names for the same things. It's just stupid trying to associate a weapon or tool to one race of people. Drums to communicate were used all over ancient times.

srvy 07-24-2021 04:42 PM

The earliest known remains of bow and arrow were found in Germany yes Europeans dating back 1800 years. North American Indians' bow and arrows were found only to about 1400 years.

So get off this nonsense.

Chief Roundup 07-24-2021 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 15753705)
Native Americans don't have exclusive rights to the arrowheads. Do you think Native Americans invented the bow and arrow and tips?

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 15753709)

Surely you can see how those are very much tied together.

Chief Roundup 07-24-2021 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 15753723)
Ill go further and say NA's don't have exclusive rights to war drums and skull crushing hand weapons. NA's called them tomahawks others had different names for the same things. It's just stupid trying to associate a weapon or tool to one race of people. Drums to communicate were used all over ancient times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 15753727)
The earliest known remains of bow and arrow were found in Germany yes Europeans dating back 1800 years. North American Indians' bow and arrows were found only to about 1400 years.

So get off this nonsense.

You can try and come up with all this "stuff" but it doesn't or will not appease those that find it offensive as Kansas City is in Missouri. It is not in these other places.
It is cute to see you try and spin it but in the end it will not matter.

srvy 07-24-2021 05:07 PM

I am not coming up with anything other than ancient history. They scraped and painted images of arrow bows and arrowheads on rocks cave walls tree's celebrating these advances and their prowess. Let's go erase and destroy these as we didn't get permission to use much less look and study it.:rolleyes:

Bowser 07-24-2021 05:11 PM

How long until someone is offended by the superiority of athletes in general and they move to cancel sports across the board? They'll feel "less than" because they can't play center field, linebacker, or be an Olympic athlete, so they're upset at how athletes are revered in society and will look to end it all.