ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chris Jones threatens to Hold Out (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=332162)

O.city 07-01-2020 07:57 AM

Jones has made about 5 mil in his career but is gonna sit out of 16 mil gtd?

I’m skeptical

Dante84 07-01-2020 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 15046351)
Nobody is paying him that.

The Colts are paying Buckner $21M per. I think Jones is fair to ask for at least $20M per, and there are absolutely teams who would pay him that.

We just aren't one of them, it seems.

OKchiefs 07-01-2020 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 15046388)
We don't win a title without the Clark deal, so piss off

I don't disagree, but that doesn't mean the contract isn't still an issue. His contract is likely keeping us from extending Jones, and we likely don't win a title without Jones. I don't blame Jones for being upset, because if I'm in that scenario I'd be pissed if I were in KC from day 1 and see an outsider come in and get the money I was looking for.

ChiefBlueCFC 07-01-2020 07:58 AM

Go get your bag Chris. Hopefully it's with the Chiefs but the man's play has earned a pay day

PAChiefsGuy 07-01-2020 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 15045972)
Chris Jones is easily replaceable. In fact with Pennel ,Saunders and Nadi we don't need him.

Man you are on a roll today.

PunkinDrublic 07-01-2020 08:06 AM

The other factor is we have plenty of young defensive players who will be coming into their second year playing in our coordinators scheme. Hopefully a lot of things will start clicking for them and some real studs develop. I’m not saying that’s enough to nullify losing Chris Jones but with our offense all we have to be is good enough on the other side.

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-01-2020 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic (Post 15046360)
You’re telling me that when you were in your prime of jacking off hogs for a living that you never held out until the right hog farm was willing to pay you top dollar for your skills. I don’t believe it!

I was paid pretty good and like Jones I was probably in the top five talent wise. I could have held out for more but I liked my team and we were good. Anyway money can't buy happiness but it bought me a boat. And the boat makes me happy! Jones could buy a yacht with 16 million. I had to settle for an 18' Triton

If Jones really does hold out I won't like him anymore just like I didn't like Laveon Bell after he pulled his shit.

tredadda 07-01-2020 08:10 AM

Jones has every right to hold out. He has earned what he is asking for. If the Chiefs are unwilling or unable to pay him that then they should trade him to someone who will. I know the franchise tag is good money for one year, but that’s it. After that same thing all over again. He wants to get paid what he feels he’s worth along with having long term financial stability. I imagine everyone else here would want the same thing if they were in his situation. One bad injury while playing on the tag and he will be dropped like an UDFA. That’s why players hate the tag so much. He also was franchised last year and still performed at a high level and was a professional about it.

I got it that Mahomes is and should be the priority. If the team doesn’t feel like they can afford him and Jones then let Jones go to a team that can afford him.

King_Chief_Fan 07-01-2020 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief (Post 15046384)
The Kansas City Chiefs circa 2010-2016 would have to bend over backwards for a guy like Chris Jones.

However, this is a different time in the life of a Chiefs' fan. We have (arguably) the best head coach in the league, the best QB on planet Earth, and one of the best defensive coaching staffs in football. We have the two leaders and anchors of the defense already in Mathieu and Clark. We have a GM who has proven time and again he can find impact players.

I want to keep Chris Jones, but the fact is that we probably can't, and it's not going to cost us any Super Bowls if we don't. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, we mounted the most epic playoff comeback in NFL history without him on the field. It's a different world for us now. We have the new Michael Jordan playing QB for us.

We'll be fine.

we are a qb sneak away from not being fine

FloridaMan88 07-01-2020 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King_Chief_Fan (Post 15046420)
we are a qb sneak away from not being fine

If Mahomes goes down, it doesn't matter if the Chiefs keep Chris Jones because they aren't winning jack shit.

Warpaint69 07-01-2020 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 15045972)
Chris Jones is easily replaceable. In fact with Pennel ,Saunders and Nadi we don't need him.

He's easily replaceable in the run game. Nnadi and the others covered Jones butt quite a few times when Chris vacated his gap assignment. As far as a pass rusher, that's where its not so easy to replace him. In my opinion he's still not a complete player because of his hot and cold playing the run.

redfan 07-01-2020 08:40 AM

Jones will get paid, just not by KC. Thanks for the memories...dude is a baller.
Is it wise to hold out in a season that isn't?

FloridaMan88 07-01-2020 08:42 AM

I never thought the Chiefs could realistically pay Chris Jones what he wants (and probably deserves).

Is trading him for decent value still an option?

O.city 07-01-2020 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 15046439)
I never thought the Chiefs could realistically pay Chris Jones what he wants (and probably deserves).

Is trading him for decent value still an option?

Shoulda done that before draft

Hell either play on tag or sit

Mecca 07-01-2020 09:08 AM

I wish him luck, the new CBA makes holding out a serious problem for players.

tatorhog 07-01-2020 09:10 AM

That sucks he's getting contract advice from Bell. Might as well take a firearms class from Plaxico Burress while he's at it.

Its pretty apparent that the season very well could be on hold this year, and going forward there is a very real chance of the salary cap not inflating like they think. Some of these guys are trying to eek out every last cent, when the reality of it is, they may be leaving a TON of money on the table when its all said and done. At some point, they need to keep things in perspective. Sure the team owners are next level rich. But even with the peanut salary of $16 million, he could be doing a hell of a lot worse for himself. Kind of hard to legitimately scoff at that number if you ask me. Seems like a risky, and dumb angle to take with the current climate.

Iowanian 07-01-2020 09:14 AM

Player: "Fans should give players undying, never ending support, even if we're 0-16"

Also Players: "If I don't get a billion dollars, I'm outta this shithole"

I've liked Chris Jones and if they can make it work to keep him at a contract that doesn't hold back the team, great. If not....Mahomes needs paid worse than the Chiefs need Jones.

Mecca 07-01-2020 09:16 AM

Players have limited earning time, I don't begrudge anyone for trying to get paid.

DJ's left nut 07-01-2020 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CervezaChill (Post 15045967)
If the chiefs had lost that Texans playoff game with Jones injured, his value would be through the roof. But the fact that the chiefs won playoff games this season without him makes his bargaining value slightly lower.

I also think Taco Charlton is going to surprise this season. Not based on anything, just a hunch.

The Texans game demonstrated his importance, though.

There was a MASSIVE drop off in push up the middle in that game.

DJ's left nut 07-01-2020 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15046479)
Players have limited earning time, I don't begrudge anyone for trying to get paid.

The only guys who I think should be willing to take a little less are actually the ones who can easily demand the most - quarterbacks.

Their earnings window is so much longer than anyone else's. For someone like Mahomes, he'll have at least 3 'major' contracts. For the vast majority of his teammates, they'll get 1 - if they're lucky.

So if you're Mahomes and over the course of 15 years of 'big' contracts you can make, say, $600 million instead of $750, you've significantly improved the odds of your team putting a competitive product around you. Yes, you took a ton less than you could have, but you're still set up for 3-4 generations in terms of wealth.

But if you're Jones - get while the gettin's good because it's likely the best shot you'll ever have at getting big money.

DJ's left nut 07-01-2020 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15046467)
I wish him luck, the new CBA makes holding out a serious problem for players.

Has he signed his Franchise tender?

If not, he isn't 'holding out' under the terms of the CBA. He's not technically under a contract yet.

The Franchise 07-01-2020 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 15046504)

If not, he isn't 'holding out' under the terms of the CBA. He's not technically under a contract yet.

No.

And you’re correct. This doesn’t harm him any other way than him missing out on a years worth of money.

Mecca 07-01-2020 09:44 AM

Quote:

Well that's a good point. I'll say this, I dunno if he has the stones to really hold out, 16 million is a lot more than he's made for his entire career at this point.

gblowfish 07-01-2020 09:51 AM

Welp, I'd trade him to the NFC for draft picks.

BigRedChief 07-01-2020 09:51 AM

Quote:

Has till July 15th to sign the tender.

BigRedChief 07-01-2020 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15046507)
Well that's a good point. I'll say this, I dunno if he has the stones to really hold out, 16 million is a lot more than he's made for his entire career at this point.

He's made $5 million so far. He did grow up in extreme poverty.

DJ's left nut 07-01-2020 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 15046514)
Has till July 15th to sign the tender.

I thought the window to sign the tender was essentially open-ended.

The parties have until July 15th to reach a multi-year agreement in LIEU of the tender.

That's how guys like Bell have been able to refuse to sign the tender until about week 9, then go ahead and sign it and secure a year towards UFA status.

penguinz 07-01-2020 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15046479)

You don't maximize your career earnings by sitting out and leaving 16M on the table.

Marcellus 07-01-2020 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15046389)
Jones has made about 5 mil in his career but is gonna sit out of 16 mil gtd?

I’m skeptical

If he is dumb enough to take advice from Leveon Bell who lost money doing this shit....

Mecca 07-01-2020 09:58 AM

Bell played on the tender 1 year. I don't blame him either for being pissed.

duncan_idaho 07-01-2020 10:23 AM

Jones is a valuable player and deserves to be paid equivalent to Deforrest Buckner, who is a slightly worse player the past 2 years.

That's a tough ask for the Chiefs, though, if the salary cap goes down in 2021 as is now expected/projected. If things had stayed on track, I don't think it's an issue to get Jones done and Mahomes done.

Tough spot for the player and the team. I respect Jones' willingness to do what is necessary to "get the bag" and won't ever blame a player for seeking to maximize his profits.

But it looks like a trade is inevitable at this point. The Lions, Eagles, and Washington all have huge amounts of cap space, and the Giants and Packers have enough to make a deal happen for this season.

If you can swing a trade to one of those squads and get a first or second-round pick in 2021 out of it, it makes sense to me. The team has to be willing to commit to paying him the moneys, though.

Washington already has pretty hefty investments along its DL with Young and Sweat, so not sure they'd step up with an offer. I could see Detroit or Philly taking a stab, and the Giants and Packers both would make a ton of sense and have a need.

I also still think the Jets are a good potential landing spot IF they can swing Jamal Adams' involvement. Even if there is no pick compensation involved, a Jones for Adams swap might make sense for both.

Marcellus 07-01-2020 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15046525)
Bell played on the tender 1 year. I don't blame him either for being pissed.

He also turned down a deal and sat a year and lost money over the deal he turned down, and went to a shittier team to boot.

He had a deal in place and lost money in the long run, there was no "win" in it.

PAChiefsGuy 07-01-2020 10:28 AM

I'd love to keep him but he isn't in a position to demand anything from the Chiefs. We have Mahomes and a ton of other talent. Worse comes to worse we just trade him.

Kman34 07-01-2020 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 15046558)
Jones is a valuable player and deserves to be paid equivalent to Deforrest Buckner, who is a slightly worse player the past 2 years.

That's a tough ask for the Chiefs, though, if the salary cap goes down in 2021 as is now expected/projected. If things had stayed on track, I don't think it's an issue to get Jones done and Mahomes done.

Tough spot for the player and the team. I respect Jones' willingness to do what is necessary to "get the bag" and won't ever blame a player for seeking to maximize his profits.

But it looks like a trade is inevitable at this point. The Lions, Eagles, and Washington all have huge amounts of cap space, and the Giants and Packers have enough to make a deal happen for this season.

If you can swing a trade to one of those squads and get a first or second-round pick in 2021 out of it, it makes sense to me. The team has to be willing to commit to paying him the moneys, though.

Washington already has pretty hefty investments along its DL with Young and Sweat, so not sure they'd step up with an offer. I could see Detroit or Philly taking a stab, and the Giants and Packers both would make a ton of sense and have a need.

I also still think the Jets are a good potential landing spot IF they can swing Jamal Adams' involvement. Even if there is no pick compensation involved, a Jones for Adams swap might make sense for both.

I don’t see any team trading for anyone due to the uncertain future of the season and the risk of a reduced cap in 2021..

Kiimo 07-01-2020 10:32 AM

The Steelers offer trash contracts to all their players. I'm actually surprised more players don't hold out. They're guaranteed one year and they were gonna run Bell into the ground.

Bell ended up on a worse team and lost money holding out but did get a contract with guaranteed money in the end.

Running backs should have their own contract language, they're getting screwed and meanwhile the ones that do get huge contracts end up not living up to them. There has to be some middle ground. It should have been worked into the CBA

OKchiefs 07-01-2020 11:00 AM

Quote:

Are you suggesting they would trade him now or after the season? Because if they trade him now it makes zero sense why they wouldn't have done it before the draft when they could have gotten a 2020 pick to help them this year when they're trying to run it back. If they can somehow get him to play in 2020 and then tag and trade him in 2021 then that's fine, as his contribution this season will be important.

DJ's left nut 07-01-2020 11:02 AM

Quote:

If they have to take a 2nd when the 9ers were able to get a high 1st for a lesser player, that's a pretty shitty look for Veach.

They needed to have a better feel for how close they were on this one, IMO. I had identified the Colts as a great landing spot for him before the Buckner deal, though I preferred getting their 2 second rounders.

If the Chiefs weren't damn close to having a deal done, they really needed to outflank SF on that trade. Failing to do so will have significant long-term consequences for KC.

The Franchise 07-01-2020 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 15046612)
If they have to take a 2nd when the 9ers were able to get a high 1st for a lesser player, that's a pretty shitty look for Veach.

They needed to have a better feel for how close they were on this one, IMO. I had identified the Colts as a great landing spot for him before the Buckner deal, though I preferred getting their 2 second rounders.

If the Chiefs weren't damn close to having a deal done, they really needed to outflank SF on that trade. Failing to do so will have significant long-term consequences for KC.

I’m thinking that Veach thought he was going to have the money to pay Jones. Then the whole lesser salary cap shit hit because of COVID.

Chiefshrink 07-01-2020 11:10 AM

More often than not DL disappear after they get their $$. As always this is a QB driven league. Chris will eventually get his $$ but IF he wants his cake($$) and be able to eat it(more SB rings) he would be wise to wait. IF not then I assure he will disappear with some other team after he gets his $$.

RealSNR 07-01-2020 11:18 AM

I mean, if we're looking at getting max value out of Jones in a trade, I know of a team that would apparently rape their own grandmothers to get him.

https://www.raidersbeat.com/tafur-ra...n-free-agency/

I'm trying to find the link where they visited Raiders facilities this offseason and Gruden and Mayock were both like, "Look, we're not going to be secretive. We will move heaven and earth to get Chris Jones here if it's possible."

I know that's asking for trouble trading him to a division rival, but keep in mind that Andy Reid once traded his first-born QB to a division rival back when he was in Philly.

If the Raiders got desperate and offered a Frank Clark haul like a 2021 1st and a 2022 2nd? Without the 3rd round toss back we got in the deal? Man, that's tempting, especially since we still have Mahomes and they're still the ****ing Raiders

Chiefshrink 07-01-2020 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15046624)
I know that's asking for trouble trading him to a division rival,

Pissing off Jones not paying him only to go to a division rival in which he would eat our interior line for lunch along with Mahomes ?? Because that IS our achilles heal on offense IMHO and allowing CJ to be motivated to boot. Yes DL usually disappear after they get their $$ BUT CJ would be motivated at least 2wice a year and I am not allowing any kind of situation where my HOF QB is going to get hit even more this year. There is no haul of draft picks worth getting Mahomey hurt IMHO.

tyecopeland 07-01-2020 11:48 AM

Yay chiefs news!

Shit, it's bad news.

OKchiefs 07-01-2020 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 15046617)
I’m thinking that Veach thought he was going to have the money to pay Jones. Then the whole lesser salary cap shit hit because of COVID.

Covid was around before the draft, so that should have already been seen as a possibility.

duncan_idaho 07-01-2020 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 15046612)

I’m thinking a high second there and probably paired with another pick (4th? Swap of thirds? Future 2nd). Didn’t say that but was just thinking about the headliner piece.

I think you can place most of the blame here on the pandemic and the projected dip in salary cap. With a projected increase, Jones is extendable even with Mahomes’ new deal and you still have some maneuverability in the cap.

Without it? Man, playing around with some extensions to Kelce, mathieu and Fisher I can see a way to free up the year 2 cap room you’d need, but that puts you in place for a precipitous talent drain in 2022/23 as those guys hit the portions of those extensions where you probably cut them and take some dead cap hits.

Getting the Buckner deal done before salary cap implications of the pandemic were evident AND with no hint of problems between Buckner and the 49ers were factors, plus you had the 5th year player option for Buckner, which changed the dynamic a bit (since it wasn’t a tag year).

I think it’s a hindsight situation.

HAD Veach known the cap situation was going to get messy, torpedo his plans to extend Jones, and lead to media fallout, I’m sure it would have been played differently...

Easy 6 07-01-2020 12:55 PM

I have much faith in Veach getting this worked out

But if not, it’s not like the cupboard is bare along the front line... and of course we DO still have #15, so we’ll be fine

Hoover 07-01-2020 01:14 PM

My thoughts, not that they matter.

1. This ****ing COVID BS sucks. How it is messing with the Salary cap just sucks. No way anyone could have seen this coming. So it's not like Veach could prepare for it. We knew it was going to be tight the way it is to pay both Pat and Chris.

2. With the advantage of hindsight, I wonder if the Chiefs knowing what they do now would have given Watkins his walking papers. Now I'm not sure that fixes the Jones situation, but it couldn't hurt. And hell the Chiefs would still have Hill, Hardman, and D-Rob.

3. Despite all of that, Chris Jones was always going to threaten a holdout. Thats how these things work. Chris isn't being disrespected, but he isn't getting what he wants.

4. Holding out could force a trade, but I'm not sure that's in Jones' best interest. Its not like he's going to go to a better situation for him. Sure, if you want to force your way on to the NY Giants and get a big payday then yeah, that's possible.

5. Not sure why the NFL and Players Association can't figure out a way to give teams some sort of relief with next year's salary cap. It's a one year issue, I'm sure a creative solution can be found, like valuing contracts at 90% for cap purposes or something. I don't know.

While the Chiefs have a problem with Jones, I think ultimately its a problem for the entire NFL, the Chiefs due to their upcoming free agents are just having to deal with it sooner than the rest of the league.

OKchiefs 07-01-2020 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 15046807)
My thoughts, not that they matter.

1. This ****ing COVID BS sucks. How it is messing with the Salary cap just sucks. No way anyone could have seen this coming. So it's not like Veach could prepare for it. We knew it was going to be tight the way it is to pay both Pat and Chris.

2. With the advantage of hindsight, I wonder if the Chiefs knowing what they do now would have given Watkins his walking papers. Now I'm not sure that fixes the Jones situation, but it couldn't hurt. And hell the Chiefs would still have Hill, Hardman, and D-Rob.

3. Despite all of that, Chris Jones was always going to threaten a holdout. Thats how these things work. Chris isn't being disrespected, but he isn't getting what he wants.

4. Holding out could force a trade, but I'm not sure that's in Jones' best interest. Its not like he's going to go to a better situation for him. Sure, if you want to force your way on to the NY Giants and get a big payday then yeah, that's possible.

5. Not sure why the NFL and Players Association can't figure out a way to give teams some sort of relief with next year's salary cap. It's a one year issue, I'm sure a creative solution can be found, like valuing contracts at 90% for cap purposes or something. I don't know.

While the Chiefs have a problem with Jones, I think ultimately its a problem for the entire NFL, the Chiefs due to their upcoming free agents are just having to deal with it sooner than the rest of the league.

Adam Schefter was speculating BEFORE THE DRAFT that the salary cap could decrease in 2021. So we're supposed to believe an NFL reporter is more aware of the implications of Covid-19 on the salary cap than an NFL GM?

Hoover 07-01-2020 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKchiefs (Post 15046830)
Adam Schefter was speculating BEFORE THE DRAFT that the salary cap could decrease in 2021. So we're supposed to believe an NFL reporter is more aware of the implications of Covid-19 on the salary cap than an NFL GM?

The Chiefs are in this spot because they finally have an all world QB that they can now extend. Its really that simple. The problem has been compounded by COVID

OKchiefs 07-01-2020 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 15046836)
The Chiefs are in this spot because they finally have an all world QB that they can now extend. Its really that simple. The problem has been compounded by COVID

I'm not debating that. But you said there's no way they could have known the effect Covid-19 would have on the 2021 cap, when Adam Schefter was already speculating before the 2020 draft that the cap could decrease. So either the decrease in the cap has nothing to do with the offer being given to Chris Jones, or it does have an effect and Brett Veach was not prepared as he should have been for all possible scenarios.

Patrick Mahomes and his upcoming contract extension has been known for a while, that's not a new variable by any means. In my completely unqualified opinion, the only logical scenario that makes sense is you somehow convince Chris Jones to play on the tag in 2020. After the season you tag him again and either extend his contract or trade him BEFORE the 2021 draft.

Trading him now/before the 2020 season makes zero sense, because doing so doesn't help the 2020 team at all in a season in which the mantra has been "run it back" with the same group.

If he sits out the season then they still ****ed up, because they should have done a better job of making damn sure they could extend him before the season to avoid the holdout or of trading him for a 2020 pick that could help this year.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out, to say the least.

RunKC 07-01-2020 01:57 PM

Quote:

Why do you always act like Veach is reeruned? I mean the man has slam dunked all over your bitchass again and again and you still pull this shit.

Let it play out and see what happens. FFS

crazycoffey 07-01-2020 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 15046340)
To clarify, it’s $4 Million per year.

So we are talking about $12-20 Million total.

And what’s he leaving in the table by holding out and not taking his franchise tag money?

Mecca 07-01-2020 01:59 PM

I'm not going to get be upset either way, as good as Jones is, a defensive tackle is not the difference in us being a bowl team and not.

If anything this staff has shown me we should trust they can replace him if need be.

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-01-2020 02:16 PM

Heh, we lost Justin Houston, Eric Berry and Tamba Hali as well as Dumbass Dee Ford and kicked everybodys ass all the way to the SB. Hiring Steve Spagnolia made the difference along with Clark and Mathieu. If you don't think we can't live without Jones you're dead wrong.

Don't get me wrong. I love CJ and want him here but I don't want ANY player that puts himself before team and holding out is THAT.

Shields68 07-01-2020 02:17 PM

Quote:

Sure he was guessing. But other teams also were aware of implications so the market probably tanked as well. Do you take a 2nd or third? Not sure who would have been offering a 1.

I still bet with adding a game, increase in TV revenue ... The NFL worse case decides not to reduce the cap in 2021 even if it should go down under a calculations. Now that being said I think Veech bet prior to covid that there would be a huge increase.

But he can not sign Jones and gamble with not having the money to pay Patrick.

Jones is sort of in the grey area does he sign or hold out. Not sure the Chiefs really have a good option at this point.

DJ's left nut 07-01-2020 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15046874)
I'm not going to get be upset either way, as good as Jones is, a defensive tackle is not the difference in us being a bowl team and not.

If anything this staff has shown me we should trust they can replace him if need be.

We lose the Super Bowl but/for the efforts of Chris Jones in the 4th quarter of that game.

Seriously - watch it again. The batted pass saved the game - full stop. Without it there's a good chance we simply don't get the ball back. And Jones was a force in that entire 4th quarter.

Yes, Jones is a MASSIVE difference for this team.

The Franchise 07-01-2020 02:28 PM

Should have gotten rid of Watkins, LDT and Sorenson....and paid Jones.

RunKC 07-01-2020 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 15046908)
We lose the Super Bowl but/for the efforts of Chris Jones in the 4th quarter of that game.

Seriously - watch it again. The batted pass saved the game - full stop. Without it there's a good chance we simply don't get the ball back. And Jones was a force in that entire 4th quarter.

Yes, Jones is a MASSIVE difference for this team.

Hate this argument.

Without Eric Fisher’s excellent block on Bosa, Wasp never happens. Without Sammy’s excellent route on Sherman, that big gain never happens. Without Matheiu’s excellent tackle in the first drive, Deebo Samuel gets a TD (he actually had 2 TD saving tackles). Without Breeland’s awesome play beating Kittle’s block for a big TFL, SF gets a 1st down and maybe gets a TD instead of a FG. I didn’t even mention Damien Williams either.

So many examples here. It’s a team game. So many guys played a big part.

Easy 6 07-01-2020 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 15046928)

RINGLEADER 07-01-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

They can. And they have in the past.

https://www.si.com/johnwallstreet/sp...oth-salary-cap

RINGLEADER 07-01-2020 02:42 PM

Quote:

You can argue this — but I’d rather have Mahomes with weapons and average defense then Mahomes with fewer weapons and average defense + Jones. But I respect others who feel differently and wish there was a way to keep everyone but I’ll be okay with picks and keeping other pieces that are going to start coming due next season.

Red Dawg 07-01-2020 02:58 PM

Quote:

No we shouldn't.

Shields68 07-01-2020 02:58 PM

Quote:

Those guys are all on 1 year deals. 2020 is not the problem. We have enough to fit Jones and those guys under this years cap. It is the 5 year deal that he wants, that brings in the uncertainty of what the 2021 and 2022 cap will be and how you fit him and Patrick as well as the contracts you have currently have for those years, if the cap decreases.

DJ's left nut 07-01-2020 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 15046935)
Hate this argument.

Without Eric Fisher’s excellent block on Bosa, Wasp never happens. Without Sammy’s excellent route on Sherman, that big gain never happens. Without Matheiu’s excellent tackle in the first drive, Deebo Samuel gets a TD (he actually had 2 TD saving tackles). Without Breeland’s awesome play beating Kittle’s block for a big TFL, SF gets a 1st down and maybe gets a TD instead of a FG. I didn’t even mention Damien Williams either.

So many examples here. It’s a team game. So many guys played a big part.

Sure.

Which is why the idea that a losing a 'mere defensive tackle' falls apart upon any reasonable scrutiny. We have a guy who does his job better than all but ONE defensive tackle in football and in the process of doing that job he made at least 3 crucial individual plays. Without those plays, we don't win a championship.

And because of his overall excellence, it's fair to presume that his replacement would not have made those plays or enough other excellent individual plays to offset them.

Khalen Saunders isn't going to make those plays. Nor is he going to be able to make the impact on the other snaps of the game to overcome the fact that he's a less dynamic player than Jones. Had Jones gone out on the first snap of that game - we lose.

I recognize that doesn't close the book on whether or not keeping Jones is feasible, but the idea that the team is a Super Bowl champion with or without him is just folly. Without him, and with his replacement taking his snaps, the 2019 Chiefs aren't NFL champions.

RealSNR 07-01-2020 03:08 PM

Random Vikings fan seems nice. At least he's realistic about compensation. He's not trying to do some stupid Madden bullshit like, "How about a 3rd and a 4th for Jones????"

Would two Minnesota 1st rounders do it for you if we couldn't keep Jones and had to trade him?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RegGo1URLJw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DJ's left nut 07-01-2020 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shields68 (Post 15046977)
Those guys are all on 1 year deals. 2020 is not the problem. We have enough to fit Jones and those guys under this years cap. It is the 5 year deal that he wants, that brings in the uncertainty of what the 2021 and 2022 cap will be and how you fit him and Patrick as well as the contracts you have currently have for those years, if the cap decreases.

You know how you make 2021 and 2022 more palatable?

Through creating roughly $24 million in cap rollover by walking away from Watkins, LDT and Sorensen.

You're right - we don't need them off the books to fit Jones this season. We needed them off the books to create enough rollover to fit Jones under the cap NEXT season.

Its honestly the same thing that should've been considered with Hitchens. You bite the bullet, take his cap hit this season, and clean $11 million off the books for next season.

Veach went all in on the 'run it back' campaign and I think it was extremely shortsighted. I think he should've used the good will created by the championship, not to mention the final relatively cheap year of Mahomes deal, to use this season to clean the books of some lousy contracts, create substantial rollover for next season and then have a leaned out, more cost effective roster for 2021 and beyond when Mahomes starts to get more expensive.

Pitt Gorilla 07-01-2020 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 15046994)

Through creating roughly $24 million in cap rollover by walking away from Watkins, LDT and Sorensen.

You're right - we don't need them off the books to fit Jones this season. We needed them off the books to create enough rollover to fit Jones under the cap NEXT season.

Its honestly the same thing that should've been considered with Hitchens. You bite the bullet, take his cap hit this season, and clean $11 million off the books for next season.

Veach went all in on the 'run it back' campaign and I think it was extremely shortsighted. I think he should've used the good will created by the championship, not to mention the final relatively cheap year of Mahomes deal, to use this season to clean the books of some lousy contracts, create substantial rollover for next season and then have a leaned out, more cost effective roster for 2021 and beyond when Mahomes starts to get more expensive.

Great points across the board here. Need the NBA's amnesty clause for Hitchens.

oldman 07-01-2020 03:23 PM

I like Jones and would love to see him in a Chiefs uniform for years to come. While I understand his time to make money is limited, I think his stance right now is a little foolish. Let's face it, $16M is better than $0. Even if he has to play under the tag while things get sorted out, he'll still be a rich man.

Halfcan 07-01-2020 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 15047019)
I like Jones and would love to see him in a Chiefs uniform for years to come. While I understand his time to make money is limited, I think his stance right now is a little foolish. Let's face it, $16M is better than $0. Even if he has to play under the tag while things get sorted out, he'll still be a rich man.

I highly doubt CJ will miss out on that kind of check while also skipping a chance at a second SB ring.

A second ring will do more for his career than sitting out and wasting a season of his career.

The Franchise 07-01-2020 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15046993)
Random Vikings fan seems nice. At least he's realistic about compensation. He's not trying to do some stupid Madden bullshit like, "How about a 3rd and a 4th for Jones????"

Would two Minnesota 1st rounders do it for you if we couldn't keep Jones and had to trade him?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RegGo1URLJw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah. It would for me. And I’d love to keep Jones on this team. I just don’t see how we’re pulling it off.

The Franchise 07-01-2020 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shields68 (Post 15046977)

LDT is not. Watkins could have easily been cut and Sorenson can be replaced. I get the uncertainty though.

Halfcan 07-01-2020 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 15046994)

It took 50 years since our last championship to win and now we are favored to go back-to-back. We have a great team- why get rid of guys that contributed to winning just for cap space?

You strike while the iron is hot. This year is different, teams will not have much time to gel and we will be bringing back a championship team mostly intact. I like the strategy.

DJ's left nut 07-01-2020 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 15047077)
It took 50 years since our last championship to win and now we are favored to go back-to-back. We have a great team- why get rid of guys that contributed to winning just for cap space?

You strike while the iron is hot. This year is different, teams will not have much time to gel and we will be bringing back a championship team mostly intact. I like the strategy.

Because 'cap space' = talent. The former is required to retain the latter.

It's not 'just for cap space' it's for 'Chris Jones'.

Chris Jones will be more important to this team over the next 1-5 years than Watkins, Sorensen and LDT combined.

The Franchise 07-01-2020 03:54 PM

You have a better chance of running it back having Jones instead of Watkins, LDT and Sorenson.

Halfcan 07-01-2020 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 15047086)
Because 'cap space' = talent. The former is required to retain the latter.

It's not 'just for cap space' it's for 'Chris Jones'.

Chris Jones will be more important to this team over the next 1-5 years than Watkins, Sorensen and LDT combined.

I am sure if the Chiefs felt they had a good replacements for Hitchens, LDT, Sorensen and Sammy- they would have swallowed the cap hit, but they didn't. These guys are over-paid but not scrubs.

The way it stands, we still have them and also Jones if he will lower himself to play for another ring for a measly 16 million bucks. This team is loaded.

DJ's left nut 07-01-2020 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 15047117)
I am sure if the Chiefs felt they had a good replacements for Hitchens, LDT, Sorensen and Sammy- they would have swallowed the cap hit, but they didn't. These guys are over-paid but not scrubs.

The way it stands, we still have them and also Jones if he will lower himself to play for another ring for a measly 16 million bucks. This team is loaded.

Hitchens would be the toughest pill, IMO.

Your position is that the Chiefs should continue to pay 4 different guys more than they're worth so that Chris Jones can take 75% of what HE'S worth on the open market?

You're essentially calling Chris Jones greedy for being unwilling to subsidize his teammates paychecks. In effect, JONES is the one that is overpaying for those guys because it's money he'd be getting but/for their inflated deals.

And that's...okay? You're cool with calling Jones greedy because he sees this team keeping guys around who aren't worth their checks while simultaneously telling him they aren't going to pay him what he'd otherwise be capable of earning?

That's odd...

Dante84 07-01-2020 04:27 PM

I love Chris.

If either Miami or Jacksonville are willing to offer both of their 2 1st rounders in the 2021 draft, you'd have to listen.

Imagine Veach having a draft with THREE 1st rounders, with 1 likely being top 10. Like, dear God.

That's the kind of move that sets us up (more than we already are) to be a 5 year dynasty with Pat at QB.

Halfcan 07-01-2020 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 15047124)
Hitchens would be the toughest pill, IMO.

Your position is that the Chiefs should continue to pay 4 different guys more than they're worth so that Chris Jones can take 75% of what HE'S worth on the open market?

You're essentially calling Chris Jones greedy for being unwilling to subsidize his teammates paychecks. In effect, JONES is the one that is overpaying for those guys because it's money he'd be getting but/for their inflated deals.

And that's...okay? You're cool with calling Jones greedy because he sees this team keeping guys around who aren't worth their checks while simultaneously telling him they aren't going to pay him what he'd otherwise be capable of earning?

That's odd...

When did I say Jones was greedy?

First, you say- I am "essentially" calling him greedy- then you double down on that and say I am "cool with it" . :spock:

It is not My position- this is what the Chiefs have decided to do. I only disagreed when you said Veech is shortsighted wanting to win another SB with this loaded team that has great chemistry instead of breaking them up for cap relief.

BTW I have always been on the Keep Jones bandwagon- but think it would be a horrible move if he holds out.

Sassy Squatch 07-01-2020 04:33 PM

Hopefully he starts rapping like Bell.

penguinz 07-01-2020 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 15047095)
You have a better chance of running it back having Jones instead of Watkins, LDT and Sorenson.

Every year everyone wants to dump Sorenson yet every year the guy plays a big part in big games.

PAChiefsGuy 07-01-2020 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 15047095)

I don't know about that. I'm not a huge Watkins guy but he always shows up in the playoffs and the offense is noticeably better w him on the field even when he isn't putting up big stats.

LDT and Sorenson are good role players.