ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs and Chris Jones working towards a long term deal. . (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=330348)

Halfcan 04-03-2020 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 14886377)
Did he get killed back there?

Chiefs allowed one of the lowest sack rates in the league and the 7th fewest QB hits.

Our running game struggles mightily because of our interior OL. I’ll never argue that.

Our pass protection isn’t as bad as some believe though. Even with Cam Erving starting games at LT and Mahomes being hobbled for most of the season, we still ranked among the best in sacks allowed and QB hits allowed.

If you think our pass protection is THAT bad, I’d love to see a stat that backs that up. Granted, Mahomes was hurried and hit a lot in the Super Bowl, but the 49ers DL is not the norm.

Mahomes was hobbled- because Cam stepped on his ankle. Whatever point you're trying to make, should have left Erving out of it. Our pass protection numbers looked good because Mahomes is a magician back there.

smithandrew051 04-03-2020 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 14886381)
Mahomes was hobbled- because Cam stepped on his ankle. Whatever point you're trying to make, should have left Erving out of it. Our pass protection numbers looked good because Mahomes is a magician back there.

My point is that any effect Cam Erving had should be excluded. He was a back up and only playing because Fisher was hurt.

Cam was an awful LT. And despite that, our numbers were still among the best in the league.

Do I believe our OL is among the best in the league? No. I just don’t believe the pass protection is as bad as some think.

If Mahomes was getting hit constantly, the QB hit numbers would be much worse than they are.

KChiefs1 04-03-2020 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 14884318)
yeah, I still don't see how it's possible.

Long-term deals typically lower the cap hit for the current year.

srvy 04-03-2020 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 14886380)
Just to clarify my point.

I don’t think we have a great OL. I just don’t think the pass protection specifically is as bad as some believe.

I think we may be biased as Chiefs fans:

1. Every hit on Mahomes seems worse to us, because we realize exactly how important he is.
2. We were spoiled in the early 2000’s with an unrealistic idea of what an OL should look like.

If there is a stat out there that confirms that our pass protection sucks, I’d absolutely accept that. I just haven’t seen a stat that says that.

Also, the Mahomes mobility argument doesn’t really convince me (at least not after this year). He practically played on one leg for most of the year and we still ended up with some of the best pass protection numbers in the league.

Mahomes is tough and will stand in and take the hit after the ball is out. Those are the shots that take the toll. Our interior line sucks but Pat cancels it out mainly because he is young. You are crazy if you want to take a chance with this phenoms future.

smithandrew051 04-04-2020 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 14886394)
Mahomes is tough and will stand in and take the hit after the ball is out. Those are the shots that take the toll. Our interior line sucks but Pat cancels it out mainly because he is young. You are crazy if you want to take a chance with this phenoms future.

I would love to upgrade the interior, but I won’t be shocked if we don’t use an early pick on a C/G.

Apparently, he doesn’t take THAT many of those hits though. Like I said before, we allowed the 7th fewest QB hits in the league. A lot of other teams allowed far more.

My guess is that our entire OL is somewhere around average. The combo of Mahomes and Reid (who really doesn’t get enough credit for this) elevates them to being a top 5 statistical pass protection OL. The Tackles are probably in the top quarter of the league and the Interior is probably in the bottom third of the league.

I don’t think they’re great, but I also don’t think they’re as bad as some believe specifically in pass protection.

Pitt Gorilla 04-04-2020 12:13 AM

Reuter and the rest of the interior played pretty well in the playoffs. The interior mesh got better and better as the season went on (and Wylie was replaced). Reuter also snapped the ball really well. I doubt we place Reuter this season.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04-04-2020 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 14886401)
Reuter and the rest of the interior played pretty well in the playoffs. The interior mesh got better and better as the season went on (and Wylie was replaced). Reuter also snapped the ball really well. I doubt we place Reuter this season.

Was the second best lineman after Schwartz in the Super Bowl against the best DL in all of football

Chris Meck 04-04-2020 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 14886392)
Long-term deals typically lower the cap hit for the current year.

yeah, and then it'll go up next year or the year after. You know, when we have to pay Mahomes somewhere around $40 million dollars.

chiefforlife 04-04-2020 09:00 AM

This seems to contradict the thread title...

Chris Jones DL, Kansas City Chiefs
NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Chiefs have yet to make an offer to franchise tagged DL Chris Jones.

ESPN's Adam Schefter added the Chiefs are looking to keep Jones and not trade him. Kansas City has been in talks with Jones but there's been no offers to this point. With Patrick Mahomes also in line for an extension, fitting Jones could be tough with the Chiefs running low on cap space. Jones would make $16.1 million if he plays 2020 under the tag.
Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Apr 4, 2020, 10:22 AM ET

Hoover 04-04-2020 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rasputin (Post 14884324)
If you say so but working with $177 if that's accurate isn't very good either bro.

Just because a team has a ton of cap space doesn't mean it is well run. It probably means the opposite, they lack talent and have drafted poorly. I think the Chiefs $177 in cap space is a testament to Veach's ability to every ****ing nickel. Thats what I want my GM to do.

Wilson8 04-04-2020 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 14886586)
Just because a team has a ton of cap space doesn't mean it is well run. It probably means the opposite, they lack talent and have drafted poorly. I think the Chiefs $177 in cap space is a testament to Veach's ability to every ****ing nickel. Thats what I want my GM to do.

I completely agree with you.

Cleveland Browns has $43 M of cap space. New England Patriots has $893 K of cap space.

As a player for an NFL team, I'd want my team to be spending their cap and taking care of their players.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04-04-2020 02:18 PM

You know what I just realized. Jones 16 mil is already included in the cap and we still have 5 mil to spare. A deal will get done. Veach knows the cap will skyrocket next year. Sign Jones to about 10 mil this year and start giving him 22-23 dollars each year afterwards. Same goes for Mahomes but with a 4 in front of it

Red Dawg 04-04-2020 03:14 PM

We need like 6 for picks. That 5 mil is for that.

RINGLEADER 04-04-2020 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 14887210)

Will be interesting to see when rookies sign and if there is language that addresses covid (not sure that’s even possible but throwing it out there).

dlphg9 04-04-2020 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 14887111)
You know what I just realized. Jones 16 mil is already included in the cap and we still have 5 mil to spare. A deal will get done. Veach knows the cap will skyrocket next year. Sign Jones to about 10 mil this year and start giving him 22-23 dollars each year afterwards. Same goes for Mahomes but with a 4 in front of it

I dont think this is right. Where did you read this?

Edit*

Well you're right according to Spotrac and OTC. That increases my belief that we're extending Jones. I was trying to figure out a way we could afford to extend him with only $5 mil in cap space, but extending him will lower his cap hit for the year and would allow us to resign Breeland.

Both Mack and Donald had low cap hits in their first 2 years of their new contracts, so what we could do is go really low on Jones 1st year, say like $6 or $7 mil and that gives us ~$15 mil in cap space. Have Breeland at $8-$9 mil cap hit and then we have enough to sign rookies. You extend Mahomes this offseason, but he's still playing on the last year of his rookie deal, so he's not gonna cost any extra this year.

It can easily be done.

BossChief 04-04-2020 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 14887210)

We don’t need that much for picks. We only have 5 picks.

Coogs 04-04-2020 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 14887720)
We don’t need that much for picks. We only have 5 picks.

https://overthecap.com/draft/

This says we need 5+

Chiefshrink 04-04-2020 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 14886385)
If Mahomes was getting hit constantly, the QB hit numbers would be much worse than they are.

Not really. We are fortunate for his mobility and intuition skills taking over before getting hit and he still did get hit way too much for my liking regardless.

TEX 04-05-2020 07:38 AM

Quote:

Ding...Ding...Ding!
Been trying to tell folks in the, "There's NO WAY KC can afford Jones" crowd that, but most have their minds made up, even though Veach has told us that Jones is in KC's plans.

PAChiefsGuy 04-05-2020 07:50 AM

Quote:

22-23 dollars? I'm all for it but I don't think Jones will go for that.

Red Dawg 04-05-2020 08:01 AM

Making Jones highest paid would be a mistake.

CasselGotPeedOn 04-05-2020 11:38 AM

What's the point of signing Chris Jones when the NFL won't be back until 2022 at the earliest?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showp...7&postcount=51

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04-05-2020 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 14888085)

Not highest paid cuz that belongs to Donald but Jones is the second best DT in the league

DanT 04-05-2020 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 14886586)

Exactly. Veach spends his money well. I love having him as our GM.

dlphg9 04-05-2020 04:47 PM

Quote:

Youve gotten to the point that you are spamming this shit in all threads about Jones. No ****ing substance ever. Just the same shit over and over.

O.city 04-05-2020 04:52 PM

He’ll be the highest paid guy til the next guy gets his deal

Skyy God 04-05-2020 05:26 PM

I’m wondering if this is based on economics.

The NFL is negotiating new TV deals in what looks to be a fairly protracted and/or deep recession, and there may be no/little in stadium revenue for 2020.

I think you extend Jones banking on a big 2021 salary cap increase at your peril.

SAUTO 04-05-2020 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 14889038)

The NFL is negotiating new TV deals in what looks to be a fairly protracted and/or deep recession, and there may be no/little in stadium revenue for 2020.

I think you extend Jones banking on a big 2021 salary cap increase at your peril.

Assholes are puckered

ThyKingdomCome15 04-05-2020 05:59 PM

Quote:

I dont know how we keep everybody

DaneMcCloud 04-05-2020 06:00 PM

Quote:

Stadium revenue is a mere fraction of the current $11 billion dollar TV contracts. Merchandise is still selling.

Regardless of what happens to the economy, sports broadcasts are recession-proof. People aren't going to turn off their TV's on Saturdays and Sundays because the economy isn't doing well and in fact, it's the polar opposite.

There's absolutely no rush at this point to sign Chris Jones. The Chiefs are Cap Compliant and most likely have enough to sign their rookies before TC begins.

If Jones isn't signed by July 14th, then yeah, it might get a little dicey but the Chiefs will still be Cap Compliant, even if they're carrying $16 million for Jones this season.

DaneMcCloud 04-05-2020 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome15 (Post 14889132)
I dont know how we keep everybody

Who are the Chiefs going to lose now? As of today?

Red Dawg 04-05-2020 06:09 PM

Jones deal just seems unlikely.

BossChief 04-05-2020 06:15 PM

If they find a way to televise Football games this season, it will likely be the most watched season in history.

OKchiefs 04-05-2020 06:16 PM

If they can't get him signed by the deadline then they ****ed up. I guess the new CBA makes holdouts less likely, but he won't be happy and we'll just go through this all over again next year at which point he'll be more expensive and eventually it could be cost prohibitive to even franchise him again.

eDave 04-05-2020 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 14889158)
If they find a way to televise Football games this season, it will likely be the most watched season in history.

With no crowds?

sounds awful.

ThyKingdomCome15 04-05-2020 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 14889136)
Who are the Chiefs going to lose now? As of today?

Fair assessment. As of today we have our core of studs. no reason to be a chicken little just yet.

RunKC 04-05-2020 07:08 PM

Quote:

That doesn’t mean that him or Pat would be “the highest paid” players any time soon. It would only be in overall money, not in a year-by-year basis. It would be at least 3 years away for both which means players will come off the books freeing up money and the cap will rise.

You look at this the wrong way, but that’s no surprise

OrtonsPiercedTaint 04-05-2020 07:40 PM

Can you trade for future draft picks. Not knowing if there will even be a college football season

Pitt Gorilla 04-05-2020 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanT (Post 14888927)
Exactly. Veach spends his money well. I love having him as our GM.

Yeah, that Hitchens contract was incredible.

DaneMcCloud 04-05-2020 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 14889150)
Jones deal just seems unlikely.

It doesn't matter.

He'll either play for the Chiefs this season or he'll be traded for draft picks.

And considering that there are a number of guys that need medical re-checks but aren't allowed to have team physicals, it would be better to hang on to Jones for the 2020 season under the Tag instead of trading him for unknowns.

RINGLEADER 04-05-2020 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 14889213)
With no crowds?

sounds awful.

It will be terrible. I could see them put in fake crowd noise because it’s going to seem really weird.

Like the comedy shows that don’t have audiences anymore. Just isn’t right.

BossChief 04-05-2020 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrtonsPiercedTaint (Post 14889305)
Can you trade for future draft picks. Not knowing if there will even be a college football season

I wonder if more college players will declare for the supplemental draft because of that.

BossChief 04-05-2020 10:19 PM

Quote:

With no crowds?

sounds awful.

I’m wondering how they will have practices, meetings, film study, weights, etc.

Lots of hurdles.

I’m not seeing how it’s going to happen, but with tens of billions of dollars at stake, I’m sure they will exhaust every route trying to find a way.

bowener 04-06-2020 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 14889509)

Lots of hurdles.

I’m not seeing how it’s going to happen, but with tens of billions of dollars at stake, I’m sure they will exhaust every route trying to find a way.

The only way I can see practice working is if they sequester the entire team for months and blood test them all regularly. Film can be done easy enough with current tech. Weights... no idea unless this is part of sequestering them.

RINGLEADER 04-06-2020 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 14889509)

Lots of hurdles.

That should be easy. If they have quick tests then everyone arrives at a preset time and place, stays in car, gets tested and if negative can proceed to park and go in like usual. If positive then do not pass go and head directly home.

Hydrae 04-06-2020 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrtonsPiercedTaint (Post 14889305)

That is an interesting question. I have no idea what the answer is though.

tyreekthefreak 04-06-2020 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydrae (Post 14890439)
That is an interesting question. I have no idea what the answer is though.

Well, you know there will be a draft...

chiefpat49 04-10-2020 08:05 PM

Heard Teicher on the radio today with Petro, says chiefs have no leverage with Jones and the NFL teams knows it, he thinks they will have to settle for about what they got for Dee Ford, if he is traded, so that would be a late 2nd in 2021.

I would be pissed if that is all we got. I have never been against trading Jones as long as the compensation was fair, but if it comes down to paying him $100 mill and not being able to operate in free agency the next year or two or giving him away, I would rather keep him.

smithandrew051 04-10-2020 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefpat49 (Post 14900344)
Heard Teicher on the radio today with Petro, says chiefs have no leverage with Jones and the NFL teams knows it, he thinks they will have to settle for about what they got for Dee Ford, if he is traded, so that would be a late 2nd in 2021.

I would be pissed if that is all we got. I have never been against trading Jones as long as the compensation was fair, but if it comes down to paying him $100 mill and not being able to operate in free agency the next year or two or giving him away, I would rather keep him.

Teicher pretty much always plays the Chiefs contrarian though. I just assume every thing he says is the “worst case scenario”.

Megatron96 04-10-2020 08:09 PM

We're signing Chris Jones. Write it down.

Veach has always had a plan for this. And CJ wants to be a Chief; it's not like he's itching to be traded in the first place. He just wants his respect. Veach knows this and has always known this. He'll get Chris signed one way or the other. It's chess, people. Get a clue.

TribalElder 04-10-2020 08:10 PM

Jones will knock Brady out of the game as the Chiefs go back to back SuperBowl Champs!

ROFL

OrtonsPiercedTaint 04-10-2020 08:11 PM

Stop taking the mystery out of life people!

DaneMcCloud 04-10-2020 08:11 PM

The Chiefs are currently preparing for the strangest NFL draft in its 101 year history.

There’s absolutely no reason for Veach or anyone else to be negotiating with Chris Jones at this point.

Megatron96 04-10-2020 08:16 PM

CJ was franchise tagged right? So he's with the team in 2020, and then when the cap goes up in 2021, Veach gets him signed. Done deal.

limested 04-10-2020 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 14900354)
Teicher pretty much always plays the Chiefs contrarian though. I just assume every thing he says is the “worst case scenario”.

And Petro is a moron.

chop 04-10-2020 08:34 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn’t Seattle up against the cap when they traded Frank Clark and still got a decent return.

staylor26 04-10-2020 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chop (Post 14900389)
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn’t Seattle up against the cap when they traded Frank Clark and still got a decent return.

Yup.

Mahomes_Is_God 04-10-2020 08:48 PM

Quote:

With no crowds?

sounds awful.

That's superficial bullshit. It would feel really weird but I can live with it so long as I'm watching my Chiefs.

baitism 04-10-2020 09:56 PM

This COVID shit will be over by the end of May. You people are ridiculous.

BossChief 04-10-2020 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitism (Post 14900510)

Based on...?

Direckshun 04-11-2020 07:42 AM

Have their been any developments on this front, folks? Don’t feel like reading 100 posts.

Rep to any useful answers.

smithandrew051 04-11-2020 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 14900804)
Have their been any developments on this front, folks? Don’t feel like reading 100 posts.

No actual developments, but plenty of conjecture and hearsay...those are kinds of developments.

RustShack 04-11-2020 07:50 AM

Quote:

Lol

Tribal Warfare 04-11-2020 07:52 AM

Quote:

Speculative bullshit from Teicher

DaneMcCloud 04-11-2020 12:51 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I'm sure New York and New Jersey will be opened up in 6 weeks.

LMAO

DaneMcCloud 04-11-2020 12:51 PM

Quote:

Heard Teicher

Stopped reading

BossChief 04-11-2020 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 14901146)
Yeah, I'm sure New York and New Jersey will be opened up in 6 weeks.

LMAO

Some of these people are completely clueless.

Red Dawg 04-11-2020 01:49 PM

Our leverage for a good haul is gone. Every team is certain we are not paying him with the tag or a new deal. We may squeeze a 2 but no way a first. We will have no choice pretty soon.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04-11-2020 02:15 PM

Quote:

The most recent reports are from Tom Pelissero in which he says the two sides are talking about a contract but no offers have been exchanged yet

FAX 04-11-2020 02:54 PM

Quote:

So ...

You just listened in on a conversation between Woody Boyd and Lloyd Christmas and then reported on their conclusion.

Thank you?

FAX

Chargem 04-11-2020 03:02 PM

Quote:

From Nate Taylor's Q&A on The Athletic, published yesterday:

Quote:

Is there any chance that Chris Jones enters next season still on the franchise tag? — Evan W.

The odds of that, I believe, are still low. The Chiefs are entering the next natural deadline to reach a conclusion with Jones with the start of the draft just 13 days away. As I’ve reported before, Jones doesn’t want to play next season on the franchise tag, a one-year salary of $16.1 million, since he desires long-term financial security. The Chiefs have expressed a desire to sign Jones to an extension, although one source last month described the ongoing negotiations as “neutral.”

The Chiefs still need to create more salary cap space ahead of the draft, and the team could add more flexibility in two ways. An extension with Jones would lower his cap hit for next season. Or they could trade Jones, likely ahead of the draft, to free up $16.1 million. Last year, the Chiefs acquired star defensive end Frank Clark, who was franchised-tagged by the Seattle Seahawks, just two days before the start of the draft.
Basically, no news.

Chief Northman 04-12-2020 07:25 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sending positive vibes y&#39;all way! Happy Easter! I love you all</p>&mdash; Chris Jones (@StoneColdJones) <a href="https://twitter.com/StoneColdJones/status/1249468026333921281?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 12, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Red Dawg 04-12-2020 07:32 PM

16 mil but he needs financial security. Gawd athletes live in another universe compared to ordinary people.

Vegas_Dave 04-12-2020 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 14903053)
16 mil but he needs financial security. Gawd athletes live in another universe compared to ordinary people.

Yeah but after taxes... :)

Halfcan 04-12-2020 07:48 PM

Wallcrawler 04-12-2020 10:14 PM

Quote:

Jones is looking at a 100+ million deal, somewhere no doubt.

Settling for 16, in a sport where each snap could be your last, its playing withh fire to sign the tag.

Hes not being selfish or stupid. Hes gotta get his guaranteed money that hes worked hiss ass off for, and frankly, earned.

I have zero ill will if he walks or demands trade.

Kyle DeLexus 04-12-2020 11:57 PM

Quote:

You know how much insurance cost on a Ferrari?

BossChief 04-13-2020 12:10 AM

No reason for KC to rush into signing a deal with huge guaranteed money and a big signing bonus when we might not even have a season. Lots can change for better or worse between now and June 15th.

Chargem 04-13-2020 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 14903323)
No reason for KC to rush into signing a deal with huge guaranteed money and a big signing bonus when we might not even have a season. Lots can change for better or worse between now and June 15th.

The only problem is, apparently he won't play on the tag so its extension or trade - If they are going to trade him, surely you want it to be before the draft rather than after.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04-13-2020 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 14903323)

July 15th