ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Tesla Cybertruck (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=326896)

Demonpenz 11-22-2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLO (Post 14613580)
It looks like a rejected vehicle design from Halo.

mass effect

Shoes 11-22-2019 12:02 PM

https://inteng-storage.s3.amazonaws...._resize_md.jpg

I heard with this new Tesla truck that the accelerator won't work unless you have the Marty McFly shoes on.

MagicHef 11-22-2019 12:04 PM

I like it.

ToxSocks 11-22-2019 12:07 PM

That thing looks stoooopid.

CasselGotPeedOn 11-22-2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 14613192)
I can't believe people are conditioned to think 40k for a vehicle is a good deal.

Lemme guess, when you were a kid you could get a truck for a nickel?

chinaski 11-22-2019 12:11 PM

Never heard of him...

Have we signed this piece of shit yet?

FlintHillsChiefs 11-22-2019 12:12 PM

I don't know how anyone who uses a truck for anything useful aside from hauling your boat or RV can think that design is remotely close to functional.

Where do you put the toolbox, since the bed wall is so slanted? What if you need to grab something that's up at the front of the bed? In a regular truck you can just reach over - good luck with that with the Cybertruck. Feeding cows in the winter - usually one guy drives and the other sits on the bedwall and chucks the hay every 40 yards or so. Can't do that on the slanted bedwall, especially if it's wet and icy. You sideload? Gonna be a PITA. Also, why can't you have a flat roof? Sometimes it's nice to just stick your lemonade/drink up there while your digging post holes or tightening fence lines.

I do like the high clearance and no drive train though. Doing irrigation work in Utah can be hell on a normal ICE drive train when you're crossing irrigation ditches and banging your drive train on a rock all the time.

Function before form, Elon!

BigBeauford 11-22-2019 12:13 PM

I agree with the take that this is thoroughly a Gen X product. This is what every 80s movie depicted what cars of the future would look like.

ClevelandBronco 11-22-2019 12:14 PM

I like the look of it. The thing that has always bugged me about Tesla vehicles is that the damn things look like cars for no good reason.

ToxSocks 11-22-2019 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlintHillsChiefs (Post 14613627)
I don't know how anyone who uses a truck for anything useful aside from hauling your boat or RV can think that design is remotely close to functional.

Where do you put the toolbox, since the bed wall is so slanted? What if you need to grab something that's up at the front of the bed? In a regular truck you can just reach over - good luck with that with the Cybertruck. Feeding cows in the winter - usually one guy drives and the other sits on the bedwall and chucks the hay every 40 yards or so. Can't do that on the slanted bedwall, especially if it's wet and icy. You sideload? Gonna be a PITA. Also, why can't you have a flat roof? Sometimes it's nice to just stick your lemonade/drink up there while your digging post holes or tightening fence lines.

I do like the high clearance and no drive train though. Doing irrigation work in Utah can be hell on a normal ICE drive train when you're crossing irrigation ditches and banging your drive train on a rock all the time.

Bro, it's a truck for women and retired old men. Kinda like that Honda Ridgeline thing.

Chief Roundup 11-22-2019 12:18 PM

Ugly space shit looking thing.

srvy 11-22-2019 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlintHillsChiefs (Post 14613627)

Yeah this is my problem with the damn thing. Its obvious Elon didn't gather any input from people who use pickup trucks for the intended purpose maybe his next generation will get it right. Does look like it would make one hell of a lunar rover though.

DaFace 11-22-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 14613649)
Yeah this is my problem with the damn thing. Its obvious Elon didn't gather any input from people who use pickup trucks for the intended purpose maybe his next generation will get it right. Does look like it would make one hell of a lunar rover though.

I guess the question is whether they can eventually adapt this to be more functional. As I think about it, this thing seems more suited to people who are otherwise considering a Range Rover than people who are considering a work truck. We have just assumed this would target the latter, but it's not really that kind of "truck."

ToxSocks 11-22-2019 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14613654)
I guess the question is whether they can eventually adapt this to be more functional. As I think about it, this thing seems more suited to people who are otherwise considering a Range Rover than people who are considering a work truck. We have just assumed this would target the latter, but it's not really that kind of "truck."

Then it's not a truck, it's an SUV.

It's a truck for people who don't actually want or use a truck.

Which IMO, is really ****ing bad marketing.

Now people will only talk about what it isn't instead of what it is. Which is what we're doing right now. Had they just pegged it as a Truck/SUV hybrid or an SUV i don't think there'd be as much scrutiny.

New World Order 11-22-2019 12:56 PM

Looks like something you’d drive around in Halo

Megatron96 11-22-2019 12:57 PM

Wow. That thing is not a pick-up.

I don't think Elon knows anything about the pick-up market and the people that buy them.

Plus, most of the accessories people want such as tool boxes, etc. aren't going to fit in that thing.

TLO 11-22-2019 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLO (Post 14613580)
It looks like a rejected vehicle design from Halo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 14613671)
Looks like something you’d drive around in Halo

TLO 11-22-2019 01:01 PM

From the article in the OP
Quote:

And the top of the line variant, starting at $69,900, will go more than 500 miles between charges, hit 60 mph in under 60 seconds, tow up to 14,000 pounds, and start production in late 2022.

New World Order 11-22-2019 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLO (Post 14613675)

LMAO

My bad man

Megatron96 11-22-2019 01:04 PM

Maybe that's not what the actual product will look like, so I'll reserve my final judgement on that thing.

TLO 11-22-2019 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 14613686)
LMAO

My bad man

Great minds think alike.

Reerun_KC 11-22-2019 01:14 PM

If it can pull my 5th wheel camper with a loaded trailer or boat behind it and recharge as quick as I can fill up. Then it would be worth looking into.

Needs to produce ho and torque specs of a modified 6.7 Cummins diesel. To be considered valid.

Otherwise it’s a skinny jeans, white sun glasses tribal ban tattoo dbag truck.

suzzer99 11-22-2019 01:25 PM

I think what I saw in LA is this thing: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/31/take...mann-king.html

https://unstuckpolitics.com/uploads/...45de69da5.jpeg

Deberg_1990 11-22-2019 01:32 PM

Marty McFly and Doc Brown approve!

mr. tegu 11-22-2019 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 14613710)

Maybe you didn’t get a good look because the stealth technology is well done. Probably lucky you saw it at all.

Sassy Squatch 11-22-2019 01:33 PM

Why are they bothering to make a truck if it's not going to be aimed at the working class?

BWillie 11-22-2019 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14613019)
It doesn’t have a receiver hitch.

https://www.tesla.com/xNVh4yUEc3B9/06_Desktop.jpg

I don’t know how the hell this thing is hooked on, but I don’t think it’s a receiver.

https://www.tesla.com/xNVh4yUEc3B9/07_Desktop.jpg

I'm sure Elon just forgot about that. It pops our or slides out or something.

Megatron96 11-22-2019 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 14613725)
Why are they bothering to make a truck if it's not going to be aimed at the working class?

It looks like it's aimed at hipsters, gamers, posers. Kind of your new age REI member group.

BWillie 11-22-2019 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 14613074)
So Elon threw something at the windows to prove how durable they supposedly are....and they broke. LMAO LMAO

"Oh my ****ing God..."

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Elon&#39;s reaction when the window actually breaks <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cybertruck?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cybertruck</a> <a href="https://t.co/ujEh47PEHM">pic.twitter.com/ujEh47PEHM</a></p>&mdash; Pyrets (@Pyrets1) <a href="https://twitter.com/Pyrets1/status/1197734066683908097?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 22, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That was the entire point. And they have nothing to hide. On a typical vehicle, at least for the side windows, that ball would have went all the way through the windows.

The truck is ugly, no doubt, but it is a game changer especially for companies with fleets of trucks needed. The cost of ownership and value of such a truck especially with companies that understand the economics. Just so so so much value.

I was floored how cheap it is. I thought the price tag was going to be at least 80k starting out.

BWillie 11-22-2019 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 14613725)

It's easily at a working class price point? I don't understand. I think for some guy named Leroy from Harrisonville he will call it gay and stuff, but eventually they will adopt it due to the sheer value it adds to their lives. But my guess is they will really succeed in the commercial vehicle market.

ScareCrowe 11-22-2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 14613741)
That was the entire point. And they have nothing to hide. On a typical vehicle, at least for the side windows, that ball would have went all the way through the windows.

The truck is ugly, no doubt, but it is a game changer especially for companies with fleets of trucks needed. The cost of ownership and value of such a truck especially with companies that understand the economics. Just so so so much value.

I was floored how cheap it is. I thought the price tag was going to be at least 80k starting out.

You're right that is still impressive & does offer security as it shows that it would be very hard to smash the window & get to something or someone inside. However it sounds like they were really expecting it to bounce right off & not leave a mark.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/t...045442187.html

Quote:

While no one would expect most standard windows to stand up to a test like this, even Elon seemed surprised by the results. "We threw wrenches, we threw everything," he said on stage. "We even literally threw a kitchen sink at the glass, and it didn't break. For a little weird reason it broke now, I don't know why."

St. Patty's Fire 11-22-2019 01:47 PM

it looks like an N64 polygon

notorious 11-22-2019 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 14613745)
It's easily at a working class price point? I don't understand. I think for some guy named Leroy from Harrisonville he will call it gay and stuff, but eventually they will adopt it due to the sheer value it adds to their lives. But my guess is they will really succeed in the commercial vehicle market.

It has my full attention. Place my 2500 body on that drivetrain and I will have damn near the perfect work vehicle.

I will have to see how they hold value before committing since I trade in new every 2 years.

Lzen 11-22-2019 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14613370)
Have you priced pickups lately?

30 will get you a 3 year old 30K half ton that doesn't have warranty at a LT or maybe LTZ trim package.

notorious is driving a 3/4 diesel. I don't know what trim package he had - and that definitely matters, but I'd bet he's in the neighborhood of 60K if he bought it new.

I don't mean to speak out of turn for notorious, but those are the numbers I've found.

Ok, I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying that you could buy almost 2 Chevys or whatever for that price.

Buehler445 11-22-2019 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 14613777)
Ok, I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying that you could buy almost 2 Chevys or whatever for that price.

Yeah, new 2500 Diesels are damned high dollar.

Buehler445 11-22-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 14613759)
It has my full attention. Place my 2500 body on that drivetrain and I will have damn near the perfect work vehicle.

I will have to see how they hold value before committing since I trade in new every 2 years.

You better see how they hold up before you buy one.

Lzen 11-22-2019 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 14613629)
I agree with the take that this is thoroughly a Gen X product. This is what every 80s movie depicted what cars of the future would look like.

Hey, I'm Gen X and I wouldn't touch that thing with a 10 foot pole.

Lzen 11-22-2019 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14613785)
Yeah, new 2500 Diesels are damned high dollar.

Yeah, I walk by the Ford dealership here a lot of times on morning break. It's astonishing how high some of those trucks are priced. I'll just keep my old 03 F-150 thank you very much.

-King- 11-22-2019 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 14613741)

No the window wasnt supposed to do that. And yeah it performed a lot better than any other car window, but no it wasn't supposed to crack/break like that.

limested 11-22-2019 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14613588)
As with most things Tesla, I'm more excited about what this will force OTHER companies to do in reaction than I am about the Tesla truck itself. Hopefully someone else out there will be able to get close to their specs and price while bringing it at least a LITTLE closer to a traditional design.

https://media.rivian.com/wp-content/...08-768x512.jpg

https://rivian.com/r1t/

underEJ 11-22-2019 02:32 PM

If there is enough room in that bed for about 4 100watt solar panels so I can stop and recharge during daylight, I guess I have found my apocalyptic bugout vehicle!

Megatron96 11-22-2019 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limested (Post 14613832)

Closer to a real truck anyway. Though I hate short beds. Can't put anything in them really, can't sleep in them, a tool box would take up half of the available room, etc.

frozenchief 11-22-2019 02:37 PM

I just bought a new truck after some asshole rear-ended me and twisted the frame on my old one. I had a Toyota Tacoma. 15 years and 300,000 miles. Just got another Toyota because they are extremely reliable.

Would I have purchased the Tesla? Doubtful:

1. it's ugly as sin. I just don't like it
2. I wonder about the range
3. Electric cars do not do as well in the cold and Alaska gets cold (although not this year)
4. I wonder how Tesla as a company will do. If the company goes under, where does one get parts, service, etc.? I keep reading that they have yet to turn a profit and that makes me reluctant to buy one of their vehicles
5. I realize I'm just an old fart who doesn't trust these new-fangled things.

The concept is interesting and in a few years might be worth while but I've learned from computers that its best to wait a bit and get the bugs and kinks worked out.

TLO 11-22-2019 02:37 PM

https://thechive.files.wordpress.com...o&w=338&zoom=2

Abba-Dabba 11-22-2019 02:43 PM

Wonder how much Musk is saving on production by just having to bend steel for body panels rather than truly having to tool body panels for styling? Then again material costs might make the cost savings on the simplistic design of the body moot.

Clyde Frog 11-22-2019 02:50 PM

Tesla Cybertruck

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3a8403823c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

underEJ 11-22-2019 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenchief (Post 14613846)
3. Electric cars do not do as well in the cold and Alaska gets cold (although not this year)

Is that true? I had a Chevy Volt and it was exceptional in cold weather, both for running well and for driving in snow and ice. Is that something for which Chevy was just more successful than other electric manufacturers?

DaFace 11-22-2019 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underEJ (Post 14613869)
Is that true? I had a Chevy Volt and it was exceptional in cold weather, both for running well and for driving in snow and ice. Is that something for which Chevy was just more successful than other electric manufacturers?

They operate fine, but your range is usually reduced since producing heat is actually pretty battery intensive. Think electric space heater. I probably lose 20% of my range on really cold days in my Leaf.

Great Expectations 11-22-2019 03:01 PM

Batteries don’t work as well in the cold, it really just shortens the distance they can go on a charge a little. It also affected your Volt, but with the gas aspect you might not have noticed.

underEJ 11-22-2019 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 14613886)
Batteries don’t work as well in the cold, it really just shortens the distance they can go on a charge a little. It also affected your Volt, but with the gas aspect you might not have noticed.

I never had that issue at all, but maybe because it was garaged while not operating it never started out cold. Never used the gas except on road trips. It would occasionally run the gas engine itself with a message that said it had gone too long without running. Good to know though for when I do buy my electric apocalyptic bug out vehicle!

Great Expectations 11-22-2019 03:19 PM

frozenchief 11-22-2019 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14613882)
They operate fine, but your range is usually reduced since producing heat is actually pretty battery intensive. Think electric space heater. I probably lose 20% of my range on really cold days in my Leaf.

This is my understanding. And while winters here have not been as bad the last couple of years, I have seen several winters where it did not hit 0 for weeks on end. My concern has been that even if I kept my truck in the garage (I don't*), that truck sits outside while I'm at work all day. And it doesn't take long at -30 for anything to get really cold.

*Like all good Alaskans, I have a block heater in my engine that I plug in at night. It's why you see rows of electrical outlets in pictures of Fairbanks. The plug is a little heating coil that keeps the engine block warm, or at least warm for the temperatures, so oil isn't as thick, starting is easier and the engine gets to operating temperature faster.

Rain Man 11-22-2019 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenchief (Post 14613918)
This is my understanding. And while winters here have not been as bad the last couple of years, I have seen several winters where it did not hit 0 for weeks on end. My concern has been that even if I kept my truck in the garage (I don't*), that truck sits outside while I'm at work all day. And it doesn't take long at -30 for anything to get really cold.

*Like all good Alaskans, I have a block heater in my engine that I plug in at night. It's why you see rows of electrical outlets in pictures of Fairbanks. The plug is a little heating coil that keeps the engine block warm, or at least warm for the temperatures, so oil isn't as thick, starting is easier and the engine gets to operating temperature faster.

If I may ask, where do you live in Alaska?

frozenchief 11-22-2019 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14613932)
If I may ask, where do you live in Alaska?

I live in Palmer but work in Anchorage. Right now, it's wet and sloppy and can't really decide if it wants to snow or rain, which is pretty crappy.

Rain Man 11-22-2019 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenchief (Post 14613936)
I live in Palmer but work in Anchorage. Right now, it's wet and sloppy and can't really decide if it wants to snow or rain, which is pretty crappy.

Cool. I've only passed through Anchorage briefly, so I know little about it. The southeast peninsula seemed interesting to me, and maybe not as cold if one lived there. I find the area intriguing.

GloryDayz 11-22-2019 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14613381)
Eh, I don't know, I think it said it had an air suspension and electric can produce torque far more efficiently than gas or diesel, braking shouldn't be a problem with an electric, as long as the frame and lugbolts and shit can hold itself together (/not an engineer), it makes good sense for a pickup. I can't make the leap for tractors, but I can get there on pickups.

At least mine, that I run in the garage at night, and 75% no payload except 700 lb or so of tools and a compressor.

If he produced an electric GMC 1500 SLT with 500 mile range, I'm there too. But I might wait for them to put a different body on it.

frozenchief 11-22-2019 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14613939)
Cool. I've only passed through Anchorage briefly, so I know little about it. The southeast peninsula seemed interesting to me, and maybe not as cold if one lived there. I find the area intriguing.

Southeast isn't as cold, but it is far cloudier. Juneau, for example, is cloudy over 300 days a year. I've been to Juneau more times than I can count, and I think it is gorgeous and I love the people but I also think I'd have a hard time living there.

Right now is generally a cloudy time of year. Seems that by mid January it starts getting a lot sunnier, but the low-lying clouds aren't around to keep in heat so it actually get colder as it gets sunnier. But a bright sunny day with lots of fresh new snow is a great day. And the nights with the aurora spread out against the sky and the stars seem so close that you want to reach up and pluck them from the sky? Can't get it anywhere else.

carcosa 11-22-2019 03:53 PM

Elon Musk sucks lol

Buehler445 11-22-2019 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 14613940)
If he produced an electric GMC 1500 SLT with 500 mile range, I'm there too. But I might wait for them to put a different body on it.

Eh, I'm not huge on the 19 bodies, so whatever. I don't really care about how "cool" things are. I'm very much a value guy. Factors that affect my value calculation:

1. Reliability - Fat boy doesn't do downtime. Especially during the busy season.

2. Functionality - Speaks for itself. I have a toolbox, a set of drawers in the cab, and a compressor. I'm to the point where I really can't do without any of it.

3. Maintenance - I do enough maintenance on machines that actually make me money. I'm not jumping up and down to do more.

4. Cost per mile - both on operation and trade

Buehler445 11-22-2019 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenchief (Post 14613936)

I would pay material dollars to get wet and sloppy around here.

Chief Roundup 11-22-2019 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limested (Post 14613832)

They have already had trouble with this in testing. When they went through wet roads they had motor and connection failures. When they went through creeks or areas with 6" to 8" of water they had battery failure. Although what do you expect from a Ford backed vehicle.

Megatron96 11-22-2019 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 14614029)
They have already had trouble with this in testing. When they went through wet roads they had motor and connection failures. When they went through creeks or areas with 6" to 8" of water they had battery failure. Although what do you expect from a Ford backed vehicle.

And this is why electric pick ups are empirically stupid.

MahiMike 11-22-2019 05:11 PM

What makes it cyber?

DaFace 11-22-2019 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 14614064)
What makes it cyber?

Branding.

KCTitus 11-22-2019 05:46 PM

Quote:

What makes it cyber?

what makes it a truck?

Chief Roundup 11-22-2019 06:09 PM

Quote:

What makes it cyber?

Uh, the character of the truck is that is all electric from the batteries, servos, motors that are on every level of the vehicle from propulsion and steering to the gauge cluster and entertainment all of which is controlled by at least one computer making millions of decisions every second.

stevieray 11-22-2019 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasselGotPeedOn (Post 14613617)
Lemme guess, when you were a kid you could get a truck for a nickel?

$2500

just like most of the muscle cars, too.

Rain Man 11-22-2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

What makes it cyber?

It sends filthy texts to your spouse while you're driving.

BWillie 11-22-2019 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underEJ (Post 14613869)

Absolutely. I have a Model S and the efficiency of the battery is reduced up to 25% in the winter. But if you have a long range 500 mile battery that is still more than enough distance, and even more distance than you can go in most trucks on a tank of gas.

Much better efficiency in the summer and on longer trips in my experience.

Baby Lee 11-22-2019 07:38 PM

Does the camping edition come with 3 seashells in lieu of toilet paper?

vailpass 11-22-2019 08:11 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/Ford?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Ford</a> spokesman&#39;s response ⤵️ <a href="https://t.co/lNyVkBaFm6">https://t.co/lNyVkBaFm6</a></p>&mdash; Michael Martinez (@MikeMartinez_AN) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeMartinez_AN/status/1197735486304989186?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 22, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ljmhawk 11-22-2019 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 14614183)
$2500

just like most of the muscle cars, too.

my dad bought a brand new 1970 Dodge Challenger for $3,300 and it came with A/C. vehicles prices now are outrageous. and good luck finding an excellent used truck under $20k

WhawhaWhat 11-22-2019 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljmhawk (Post 14614278)
my dad bought a brand new 1970 Dodge Challenger for $3,300 and it came with A/C. vehicles prices now are outrageous. and good luck finding an excellent used truck under $20k

$3300 in 1970 adjusted for inflation is about $23,000 in 2019. A base level Dodge Challenger in 2019 costs around $23,000.

Chief Roundup 11-22-2019 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 14614294)
$3300 in 1970 adjusted for inflation is about $23,000 in 2019. A base level Dodge Challenger in 2019 costs around $23,000.

Yeah the V6 model. That is not apples to apples comparison.

stevieray 11-22-2019 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 14614317)
Yeah the V6 model. That is not apples to apples comparison.

Doesn't even count wages not keeping up with prices.

lewdog 11-22-2019 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 14614322)
Doesn't even count wages not keeping up with prices.

Biggest reason cars have crazy price tags is that everyone is ok taking out a huge loan to buy a new vehicle. These 6 and 7 year loans have increased base prices of new cars because many Americans just think these loans are normal now.

Chief Roundup 11-22-2019 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 14614347)
Biggest reason cars have crazy price tags is that everyone is ok taking out a huge loan to buy a new vehicle. These 6 and 7 year loans have increased base prices as cars because many Americans just think that's normal now.

No, it is because they got the huge bail out and then once they had paid back the loans they never brought the prices back down to the normal range.

lewdog 11-22-2019 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 14614348)
No, it is because they got the huge bail out and then once they had paid back the loans they never brought the prices back down to the normal range.

But mostly because many Americans are ok with having car payments that are as much as their mortgage. Why have lower prices if people are ok just taking loans for the price you're asking? The consumer has let car prices get crazy in the last decade.

Eleazar 11-22-2019 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 14614361)
But mostly because many Americans are ok with having car payments that are as much as their mortgage. Why have lower prices if people are ok just taking loans for the price you're asking? The consumer has let car prices get crazy in the last decade.

Yeah, that's definitely true. You wouldn't have been able to sell a lot of $50,000 trucks before these extended loan terms came about. But now that people are stretching them out to 72 or 84 (!) months, they think "Well $800-900 a month isn't so bad..."

Dude, you're going to buy a $50,000 truck and end up paying like $75,000

stevieray 11-22-2019 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleazar (Post 14614377)
Yeah, that's definitely true. You wouldn't have been able to sell a lot of $50,000 trucks before these extended loan terms came about. But now that people are stretching them out to 72 or 84 (!) months, they think "Well $800-900 a month isn't so bad..."

Dude, you're going to buy a $50,000 truck and end up paying like $75,000

let alone the insurance....

I haven't had a car payment since 2006.

Good friend of mine leased a sweet GMC truck..time to return the truck, wanted to give him a lesser model on the new lease for what you quoted. Eight bones. Bought a 2015 Mercedes from an older gentleman with 27k.

It's obscene. Houses used to be these prices.