ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Props to Spags & The D (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=325316)

rydogg58 09-22-2019 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyreekthefreak (Post 14470259)
Clark and Honeybadger were supposed to change the culture of the defense.....they didn't! This is defense is garbage and were exposed today.

Teams will now run all day and with a better passing QB to seal the deal against our Chiefs.

Xavier Williams is a huge liability out there. Has to be someone on the street right now who can play better then him!

Nobody runs the ball better than Baltimore. Did you not see the stat they showed, something like 2200 yards rushing in their last 10 games? I'm pretty confident in our chances against any other team that tries to run and win.

RealSNR 09-22-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 14470129)
Have to agree. The defense started off strong but really felt apart in the second half.

This run defense might be worse than Sutton's and now we don't have the pass rushing horses we used to.. The Pats will gash us on the ground.

What?

Dude, not even close.

This run defense is much better than last year's.

EVERY ****ING RUN last year got 5+ yards. That was what killed us. We still give up long runs too often, but we're done giving teams 2nd and 2 after an 8 yard run on 1st down. I don't care what the average YPC stats say. We're holding runners to less than 2 yards on a given carry far more often than last year. And that's important.

If Spags figures out how to ****ing stop giving up these 3rd and longs, we're going to be just fine.

stumppy 09-22-2019 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmax63 (Post 14470307)
Ingram is a good back and the Ravens are a legit offense until someone breaks Lamar and he stops being the feature back in their offense. By containing his shifty lil' ass and coming up with a few plays the Chiefs won a game with playoff implications in about 14 more weeks.
Defense grade B-.

Offense looked average at best today. Yeah, they popped a couple big plays but they couldn't run it for 90% of the game. But they did manage 33 points. O-line isn't looking as good as I hoped unless the Ravens and the Raiders d-lines are really that good.
Offense grade C+

I'd agree with that except I'd give the offense a B+

Simply Red 09-22-2019 02:52 PM

BB and Ogbah looked very decent.

bricks 09-22-2019 02:53 PM

I see some improvement but honestly this run D drives me nuts! Im not pleased with how easily its getting shredded. I don’t like how Baltimore easily moved the ball on us there.

Our linebackers man, especially Hitchens need to fight off blocks better and close lanes faster and better.

mnchiefsguy 09-22-2019 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14470331)
People always love to say stuff like this as if there's no reason that teams should ever do it.

Depends on how much time was left. Gave them too much time today and it almost bit us in the ass. The fact that Harbaugh can't do basic math and constantly went for 2 was a factor in our favor.

There are reasons to play prevent, sure....but you gotta make sure the prevent is burning enough time off of the clock...not enough resistance in our prevent, been that way for a long time. Hope it gets better as the defense gels.

-King- 09-22-2019 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 14470354)
What?

Dude, not even close.

EVERY ****ING RUN last year got 5+ yards. That was what killed us. We still give up long runs too often, but we're done giving teams 2nd and 2 after an 8 yard run on 1st down. I don't care what the average YPC stats say. We're holding runners to less than 2 yards on a given carry far more often than last year. And that's important.

If Spags figures out how to ****ing stop giving up these 3rd and longs, we're going to be just fine.

Dude... we're allowing like 7 yards per carry this year.

DaFace 09-22-2019 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 14470367)
Depends on how much time was left. Gave them too much time today and it almost bit us in the ass. The fact that Harbaugh can't do basic math and constantly went for 2 was a factor in our favor.

There are reasons to play prevent, sure....but you gotta make sure the prevent is burning enough time off of the clock...not enough resistance in our prevent, been that way for a long time. Hope it gets better as the defense gels.

Did we win the game? Do we USUALLY win the game when Andy goes into a shell? Why is that?

ThaVirus 09-22-2019 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 14470354)
What?

Dude, not even close.

Bro, we're probably giving up upwards of 7 YPC. I'm not polishing this turd- this run defense sucks.

stumppy 09-22-2019 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 14470358)
I'd agree with that except I'd give the offense a B+

I'd also say playing on a wet field makes a lot of difference on both side of the ball.

Bowser 09-22-2019 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 14470375)
Dude... we're allowing like 7 yards per carry this year.

ERMAGHERRD!!!! YERRDDS PER CERRRYY

3-0

petegz28 09-22-2019 02:56 PM

How many of the rush yards that we give up are coming when we are up by 2 or 3 scores?

eDave 09-22-2019 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 14470334)
People here would bitch if KC put up 100 and gave up 1 yard on defense.

PTSD is not easily overcome.

-King- 09-22-2019 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14470389)

3-0

I don't get why come into a thread about the defense if all we're supposed to do is talk about how we're 3-0.

We were 3-0 the past 2 years too. Defense sucked then too. Were we wrong to talk about bad defensive performances then?

Bowser 09-22-2019 02:58 PM

Ingram was good today, as was the other guy. Our run defense wasn't great, but we were conceding runs to the RBs to cover deep and keep Jackson contained. Up the gut was open for chunks, and to be fair, we tackled like shit today. This isn't some fundamentally flawed thing we have going here, and look, Baltimore has a good offense. I don't care if we gave up 500 yards rushing, we beat a playoff caliber team today. Period end of statement.

-King- 09-22-2019 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 14470391)
How many of the rush yards that we give up are coming when we are up by 2 or 3 scores?

Enough to make it a game when it shouldn't have been.

Redbled 09-22-2019 02:58 PM

No rain and we win by 20 plus. Not getting stupid defensive penalties is a huge improvement.

RealSNR 09-22-2019 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 14470378)
Bro, we're probably giving up upwards of 7 YPC. I'm not polishing this turd- this run defense sucks.

Neither am I. I'm saying the run defense is better because they stop runs for short gains far more often than they did last year.

That's not polishing a turd. That's just stating a statistic. Is the run defense better than last year's abortion? I would say yes.

T-post Tom 09-22-2019 02:59 PM

Quote:

3-0

Exactly right.

tmax63 09-22-2019 02:59 PM

This defense doesn't look like one that will lose the game for the Chiefs when they put up 40-50 points like last year.

tyreekthefreak 09-22-2019 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14470277)
They allowed 13 points through three quarters and only allowed a couple scores when the game was largely over. I might suggest your expectations are unreasonable.

You gotta be kidding! If they could throw the ball at all, we would have lost, easily.

This defense is as soft as jello!

Bowser 09-22-2019 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 14470399)
I don't get why come into a thread about the defense if all we're supposed to do is talk about how we're 3-0.

We were 3-0 the past 2 years too. Defense sucked then too. Were we wrong to talk about bad defensive performances then?

Why do you care about last year? If you can't see the changes and improvements this season as compared to last, then you are just flat choosing not to. This most definitely is not Bob Sutton's defense.

Are you pissed Mahomes didn't throw for 6 TDs, too?

petegz28 09-22-2019 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 14470402)
Enough to make it a game when it shouldn't have been.

Get the **** out of here. What made it a game was 2 prayer passes that got caught. Save your bullshit. The Ravens got lucky on 2 passes that set up TD's or they aren't even in the game. And don't give me your bullshit about lucky plays counting. That doesn't make them any less lucky.

stumppy 09-22-2019 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14470401)
Ingram was good today, as was the other guy. Our run defense wasn't great, but we were conceding runs to the RBs to cover deep and keep Jackson contained. Up the gut was open for chunks, and to be fair, we tackled like shit today. This isn't some fundamentally flawed thing we have going here, and look, Baltimore has a good offense. I don't care if we gave up 500 yards rushing, we beat a playoff caliber team today. Period end of statement.

Yup, Edwards is a 235 lb beast. add to that a wet field and it makes it even harder to bring him down.

tyreekthefreak 09-22-2019 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmax63 (Post 14470411)
This defense doesn't look like one that will lose the game for the Chiefs when they put up 40-50 points like last year.

LOLOLOLOL...….

Is this sarcasm?

YontsRBake 09-22-2019 03:01 PM

We are playing a lot better when the defense actually needs to step up and play well but we still have the same issue we’ve always had in the time Reid has been here which is that with double digit leads we stop being aggressive and start playing really soft coverage. I always thought this was a Sutton issue but I’m starting to think it might just be a Reid thing that he instructs his DCs to do.

Our defense is still much improved compared to last year, taking our foot off the gas pedal is just a concern long term to me this season though.

InChiefsHeaven 09-22-2019 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 14470334)
People here would bitch if KC put up 100 and gave up 1 yard on defense.

Um, no. It was good to win, and the Ravens ARE a good team with a very good QB. But, some of the shit that happened with our defense made it POSSIBLE for the Ravens to have hope and be in the game.

Look, I'll take it, glad we won, and I honestly was never really worried. Just want to see our defense step on some bitches necks and they just won't. Yet anyway.

stumppy 09-22-2019 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmax63 (Post 14470411)

Winner winner chicken dinner!

Isn't that what about all of us were asking for this entire off season?!?!

petegz28 09-22-2019 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyreekthefreak (Post 14470416)
You gotta be kidding! If they could throw the ball at all, we would have lost, easily.

You're an idiot. This defense is far from soft. They've arguably played the hardest schedule of any team and been to both the east coast and west coast to boot.

petegz28 09-22-2019 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 14470433)

^

T-post Tom 09-22-2019 03:02 PM

Really glad to see Thornhill out there. I think his maturation will advance much quicker because of it. Would like to see the linebackers clean it up a little bit.

rabblerouser 09-22-2019 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 14470421)
Get the **** out of here. What made it a game was 2 prayer passes that got caught. Save your bullshit. The Ravens got lucky on 2 passes that set up TD's or they aren't even in the game. And don't give me your bullshit about lucky plays counting. That doesn't make them any less lucky.

This.

Need to shore up that run D, though.

DaFace 09-22-2019 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyreekthefreak (Post 14470416)

I wonder why they had so much trouble throwing the ball on our "soft as jello" defense... :hmmm:

petegz28 09-22-2019 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-post Tom (Post 14470440)
Really glad to see Thornhill out there. I think his maturation will advance much quicker because of it. Would like to see the linebackers clean it up a little bit.

It's the 3rd game this defense has played and people are pissed cause they aren't #1. And 2 of their games have been on the road.

St. Patty's Fire 09-22-2019 03:04 PM

Quote:

3-0

Are we gonna be saying that when the Patriots run it down our throats again? We won’t always be playing a RB at QB man...

MTG#10 09-22-2019 03:04 PM

Jfc the D was atrocious. Y'all have very low standards.

-King- 09-22-2019 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14470419)
Why do you care about last year? If you can't see the changes and improvements this season as compared to last, then you are just flat choosing not to. This most definitely is not Bob Sutton's defense.

Are you pissed Mahomes didn't throw for 6 TDs, too?

Whats the difference in this defense and Bob Sutton's defense? We were terrible against the run last year and we're terrible this year. We were average against the pass last year and we're average this year. At least last year our pass rush was great.

And as far as the garbage time excuse you guys are using, we had a lot of garbage time last year also. I don't get why it's suddenly now an excuse to use.

Last week the defense played great, but this week and week 1 were subpar. I don't want the defense to play like this against the Patriots and against the Ravens again in the playoffs.

RunKC 09-22-2019 03:04 PM

King pussy and Virus need to stop watching this team. Jesus you’re like an ex wife that bitches about literally everything all the time

petegz28 09-22-2019 03:04 PM

Lamar Jackson 79 yards and 0 TD's passing....teams can run all day. When they are down by 2-3 scores it ain't gonna work.

-King- 09-22-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 14470421)

So two player passes that were made because our guys couldn't make plays? I don't see how that helps your argument of the defense being good.

WhiteWhale 09-22-2019 03:05 PM

They played well for 3 quarters.

The last quarter was embarrassing as shit. To let a professional QB get away with the crap that Lamar was doing is nonsense.

petegz28 09-22-2019 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by St. Patty's Fire (Post 14470451)
Are we gonna be saying that when the Patriots run it down our throats again? We won’t always be playing a RB at QB man...

So you're saying we might have trouble against one of the best teams in the NFL with one of the best QB's ever to play the game???

WOW! That's really going out on a limb and shit

petegz28 09-22-2019 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 14470462)
They played well for 3 quarters.

The last quarter was embarrassing as shit. To let a professional QB get away with the crap that Lamar was doing is nonsense.

Yeah, they let their WR get away with a push off or the ball bounce to one of their WR's in a much fortunate fashion. Let them do it....

T-post Tom 09-22-2019 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 14470432)
Um, no. It was good to win, and the Ravens ARE a good team with a very good QB. But, some of the shit that happened with our defense made it POSSIBLE for the Ravens to have hope and be in the game.

Look, I'll take it, glad we won, and I honestly was never really worried. Just want to see our defense step on some bitches necks and they just won't. Yet anyway.

New scheme. Lots of new players. Barring injury, it's going to get better.

ThaVirus 09-22-2019 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14470401)

It's a good recipe for success in the regular season against mediocre QBs. I think the reason most of us are worried is because the regular season doesn't matter so much anymore. We all know what's important here- beating the Pats in January. In order to do that, we're going to need to be able to play sound, fundamental, good defense across the board. As it stands, we apparently can't play both good pass and run defense. We're ceding yards on the ground in order to be able to stop the pass- we can't do that when we play New England.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 14470407)
Neither am I. I'm saying the run defense is better because they stop runs for short gains far more often than they did last year.

That's not polishing a turd. That's just stating a statistic. Is the run defense better than last year's abortion? I would say yes.

You might be right, I just haven't seen any numbers to support the claim so I can't really argue against it. The run defense certainly looks different but the end result is extremrly similar to Sutton's defenses.

stumppy 09-22-2019 03:10 PM

Jackson had 7 passing td's in 2 games. he got 0 today.
That's a helluva lot better Def. than last year.

TheGreatCassholio 09-22-2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 14470433)

A hold them under 30 D is all we need. I think the entire league, fans, media, everyone, knows if we can do that we are a near lock to win every game. I know it can be frustrating to watch at times but at the end of the day if they hold them under 30 that's all you need.

petegz28 09-22-2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 14470499)
Jackson had 7 passing td's in 2 games. he got 0 today.
That's a helluva lot better Def. than last year.

I was joking when I said he had 79 yards but take away his fluke plays and it's a lot closer to that....

petegz28 09-22-2019 03:12 PM

I'll tell you what this team does much better than last year's....

They cover tighter
They blow up the screens, flares and stretch runs
They collapse the pocket

We have to stiffen up in the middle

JakeF 09-22-2019 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redbled (Post 14470405)
No rain and we win by 20 plus. Not getting stupid defensive penalties is a huge improvement.

good point, not nearly has many dumb penalties on defense today. :clap:

Megatron96 09-22-2019 03:13 PM

So I just looked over the numbers for the game, and was surprised that our defense actually played a fairly decent game overall.

Baltimore came into the game as the league's leading offense, and LJ came in as a 133.6 passer rating. I think we can ignore his stats in week ! against the 'Fins, and just look at his stat line against the Cards.

24-37 for 272 yds 2 TD 0 INT 7.4 yds/Att 104.8 passer rating

16 rushes 120 yds 7.5 yds/carry

Today, Jackson's numbers:

22-43 267 0 TD 0 INT 6.2 yds/Att passer rating 70.6

8 rushes yds 5.75 yds/carry

Jackson completed less passes for less yds, though not by a huge margin, but our D did not give up a TD pass, his yds/Att dropped by more than a yard from last week, and if you do include the Miami game, where his yds/Att was 16.2, we dropped him down by 10 yds/Att. And our secondary, in spite of some obvious gaffes and a couple truly lucky heaves, cut his passer rating in half, from 133 to 74.

Baltimore as a team (Jackson, Ingram, Edwards,etc.) has averaged rushing 205 yds/game. Today, instead of giving up more than our opponent's average, which we've been doing for a couple years now, we actually only gave up their average, 203.

And playing the Ravens is kind of like playing Army or Navy in CF. They run a crap ton, and their attack is like no other. We won't see another offense like them unless we see them in the playoffs.

So, IMO, giving up just their average, particularly when our D has consistently given up more than the opponent's average for a while now, is a success for us right now. And let's be honest, everyone gives up a lot of rushing yards to these guys.

And now the best part: our guys have only been playing together in Spag's scheme for a few weeks. That, people, is what we call progress.

Coogs 09-22-2019 03:14 PM

What we really need is to have a defense like Baltimore has. You know, the one that was down 30-13 after 3 quarters. The one that gave up 503 yards and 33 points. That's when we will be good! Yep. When our defense is as good as Baltimore's. Look out then.

petegz28 09-22-2019 03:15 PM

So we held a team that averages 205 yards rushing to 203?

Aspengc8 09-22-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 14470507)
I'll tell you what this team does much better than last year's....

They cover tighter
They blow up the screens, flares and stretch runs
They collapse the pocket

We have to stiffen up in the middle

middle was rough today because of lamars ability to hit a home run on a read option. i can guarantee spags told the ends to never cross the tackles face or scrape down on ingram. tough to defend with his running talent.

petegz28 09-22-2019 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 14470521)
What we really need is to have a defense like Baltimore has. You know, the one that was down 30-13 after 3 quarters. The one that gave up 503 yards and 33 points. That's when we will be good! Yep. When our defense is as good as Baltimore's. Look out then.

REP!

LMAO
:clap:

jonzie04 09-22-2019 03:16 PM

Spags is 10x the defensive coordinator Sutton was. I like how he actually makes in game adjustments, and mixes it up. Overall, I thought a few guys played really well. Jones (vs the pass), Honey Badger, and Ogbah. And then a few played really bad. Juan had a pretty horrible game. The D line couldnt get off blocks, and the Linebackers did well in coverage, but they react slow, fill slow, take poor pursuit angles, and then cant tackle half of the time. I think we need a LB more than a corner. Breeland, Fuller, and Ward are doing a decent job

ThaVirus 09-22-2019 03:16 PM

Quote:

The Ravens D was playing our offense. At this point I'm convinced we have the best offense of all time... Not really comparing apples to apples.

treeguy27 09-22-2019 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by St. Patty's Fire (Post 14470451)

You think Brady is going to avoid the sacks that Lamar did today?

T-post Tom 09-22-2019 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 14470515)
So I just looked over the numbers for the game, and was surprised that our defense actually played a fairly decent game overall.

Baltimore came into the game as the league's leading offense, and LJ came in as a 133.6 passer rating. I think we can ignore his stats in week ! against the 'Fins, and just look at his stat line against the Cards.

24-37 for 272 yds 2 TD 0 INT 7.4 yds/Att 104.8 passer rating

16 rushes 120 yds 7.5 yds/carry

Today, Jackson's numbers:

22-43 267 0 TD 0 INT 6.2 yds/Att passer rating 70.6

8 rushes yds 5.75 yds/carry

Jackson completed less passes for less yds, though not by a huge margin, but our D did not give up a TD pass, his yds/Att dropped by more than a yard from last week, and if you do include the Miami game, where his yds/Att was 16.2, we dropped him down by 10 yds/Att. And our secondary, in spite of some obvious gaffes and a couple truly lucky heaves, cut his passer rating in half, from 133 to 74.

Baltimore as a team (Jackson, Ingram, Edwards,etc.) has averaged rushing 205 yds/game. Today, instead of giving up more than our opponent's average, which we've been doing for a couple years now, we actually only gave up their average, 203.

And playing the Ravens is kind of like playing Army or Navy in CF. They run a crap ton, and their attack is like no other. We won't see another offense like them unless we see them in the playoffs.

So, IMO, giving up just their average, particularly when our D has consistently given up more than the opponent's average for a while now, is a success for us right now. And let's be honest, everyone gives up a lot of rushing yards to these guys.

And now the best part: our guys have only been playing together in Spag's scheme for a few weeks. That, people, is what we call progress.

Damn nice post. :thumb:

staylor26 09-22-2019 03:18 PM

The Ravens have the best run d in the NFL and McCoy/Williams both had ridiculous YPC today.

Who gives a **** about YPC?

stumppy 09-22-2019 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 14470529)
middle was rough today because of lamars ability to hit a home run on a read option. i can guarantee spags told the ends to never cross the tackles face or scrape down on ingram. tough to defend with his running talent.

Yup, they had to play contain against Jackson. Makes a major difference.

JakeF 09-22-2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

If our defense had to face Mahomes and our offense, you don't think it would be down 30-13(or more) in 3 quarters?

BlackHelicopters 09-22-2019 03:20 PM

NE will shred this D.

mnchiefsguy 09-22-2019 03:20 PM

Honestly, it is the last drive that is cause for concern.

I know, I know, prevent and all...

But still, it was too easy and too quick---70 yard in 2 minutes and 35 second...gotta make them work harder than that and use up a bit more time.

The defense is better...especcially in the first 3 qtrs. Take out the Jax 4th qtr and this one....and the defense looks much improved over last year, especially when you factor in that we have not generated a ton of turnovers.

It is a work in progress, but in the word of Mr. Wolf---- Let's not starting sucking each other's dicks just yet.

tmax63 09-22-2019 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 14470488)
It's a good recipe for success in the regular season against mediocre QBs. I think the reason most of us are worried is because the regular season doesn't matter so much anymore. We all know what's important here- beating the Pats in January. In order to do that, we're going to need to be able to play sound, fundamental, good defense across the board. As it stands, we apparently can't play both good pass and run defense. We're ceding yards on the ground in order to be able to stop the pass- we can't do that when we play New England.

You might be right, I just haven't seen any numbers to support the claim so I can't really argue against it. The run defense certainly looks different but the end result is extremrly similar to Sutton's defenses.

Thing is that you got to win in the regular season to get little things like 1.)into the playoffs and 2.)home field advantage. And like someone else pointed out, this D has 3 games under it's belt. Today was a big step up in competition and they still won. They're still figuring out what they are good at and what works/doesn't work but any time you end the week with a win it's been a good week.

mnchiefsguy 09-22-2019 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14470550)
The Ravens have the best run d in the NFL and McCoy/Williams both had ridiculous YPC today.

Who gives a **** about YPC?

Run game was solid today. Much better than I expected given Fisher's injury.

FringeNC 09-22-2019 03:22 PM

I thought the secondary generally had pretty good coverage today but gave up some fluke plays. The rest of the D was bad.

petegz28 09-22-2019 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 14470560)
Honestly, it is the last drive that is cause for concern.

I know, I know, prevent and all...

But still, it was too easy and too quick---70 yard in 2 minutes and 35 second...gotta make them work harder than that and use up a bit more time.

The defense is better...especcially in the first 3 qtrs. Take out the Jax 4th qtr and this one....and the defense looks much improved over last year, especially when you factor in that we have not generated a ton of turnovers.

It is a work in progress, but in the word of Mr. Wolf---- Let's not starting sucking each other's dicks just yet.

And didn't they get lucky on a cross-body throw that bounced into the WR's arms to keep that drive going? A play that if ran like that 10 times would most likely fail the next 9?

T-post Tom 09-22-2019 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackHelicopters (Post 14470559)
NE will shred this D.

https://giantswire-usatoday-com.cdn....r-bowl-xlii%2F

Bewbies 09-22-2019 03:23 PM

Quote:

NE will shred this D.

and our O will shred their D too. ****ing enjoy the win you giant puss.

keg in kc 09-22-2019 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 14470367)

I think the offense has to bear some of that, too. We've got a kind of worrisome trend going the last two weeks in that we pile on yards and points in the first half, and then just sort of shut down after halftime. And we didn't really answer Baltimore drive-for-drive today, when they started to get on their roll late, which is not what you want for a team built around its offense. Now obviously part of that was the bad snap on 4th and 2, but still, we've either got an issue with second half execution, we've got an issue with second half adjustments, or we've got an issue where we're stepping off the gas when we feel comfortable with a lead (which is a Reid trait, historically).

Whatever the case is, it needs to stop. We're not a team built to win defensively, and that Ravens defense is not talented enough that they should be holding our offense to a field goal over a quarter and a half, much less the Raiders shutting us down for an entire half.

Not that there weren't some optimistic signs today. Real nice run on the FG drive, and when it looked like they were going to splutter and give Baltimore a chance to win in the last minute, that screen call that ended the game was just perfect, call and execution both.

eDave 09-22-2019 03:25 PM

They've played 3 games together.

Take a nap.

JakeF 09-22-2019 03:25 PM

Quote:

NE will shred this D.

Yep, New England puts a premium on consistency and tackling. If you miss assignments or tackles they will make you pay. We do both, way too often.

We still have time to improve though.

mnchiefsguy 09-22-2019 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 14470573)
And didn't they get lucky on a cross-body throw that bounced into the WR's arms to keep that drive going? A play that if ran like that 10 times would most likely fail the next 9?

I was more pissed off on Lamar's TD run when he broke multiple tackles and scored easily.....tackle him and make them run a couple of more plays to get past the two minute warning...and we don't need to sweat getting the first down to seal it.

I think the defense is better, and I am hoping that they continue to improve.

The 4th qtr defense is concerning....Quick prevent is not good. I would feel much better if their last drive took 3:30 minutes instead of a little over 2.

-King- 09-22-2019 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treeguy27 (Post 14470544)

He gets the ball out in 2 seconds and also has great pocket presence so yeah, most likely.

Running around isn't the only way to avoid sacks

tmax63 09-22-2019 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 14470619)
He gets the ball out in 2 seconds and also has great pocket presence so yeah, most likely.

Running around isn't the only way to avoid sacks

You think Spags is going to have to play containment on TB. More like aim for the spot.

Chiefs4TheWin 09-22-2019 03:53 PM

Is it a defense I feel comfortable fielding? No.

Does it show SOME modicum of improvement? Yes, but it couldn't get worse honestly.

Also **** Dan Fouts

JohnnyV13 09-22-2019 06:46 PM

Holy crap, Terrence Mitchell and Eric Murray are starting for the Browns

Raiderhater 09-22-2019 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 14470336)
I don't think they expected Baltimore to come out running the ball after halftime any more than I do. I mean, they were down 23-6, playing like they were the team with the lead. And, you know what, I'm kind of okay with that. If the Ravens want a 5 minute drive to start the half when they're down 17, then, shit, let em go for it. I thought it was really dumb, at the time. Thought that all they were doing was shortening the game and making it harder on themselves to catch up. And as it turns out, that was the case. They ran out of time.

And the two bombs that padded Jackson's stats in the fourth quarter, one was a PI they got away with and the other one we should've played like it was a hail mary, and not tried to catch it.

The defense did its job, in the end. They forced a FG when they needed to, and they held on the 2 point conversion. They kept them under 30, which is what you need to win with this offense. And shit, not gonna win pretty every week, and that game wasn't nearly as ugly as either the score or the yardage stats made it look.

My takeaways: Need to continue to work on the run defense. We had trouble tackling Ingram today, and I'm not sure why; tackling had been much better in previous games. I thought Thornhill had maybe his toughest game so far, but that's the learning curve for a young safety. On the flip side, I thought this was the first time the Mathieu looked good this season. The coverage is improving every week, across the board. We're starting to see some push from the defensive line on pass plays. We're starting to see a little more creativity with stunts and blitzes.

All in all, we're 3 games into a complete defensive overhaul, both personnel and system, and it's pretty much going exactly like you'd expect. Some good plays, some costly breakdowns.

This is the most sensible take on today’s defensive performance in this thread.

Coochie liquor 09-23-2019 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treeguy27 (Post 14470544)

This! I saw the Phins hit Brady a few times during week 2. Were gonna get some heat up the middle when we play the Pats.