ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Top gun trailer (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=323964)

DJ's left nut 05-12-2022 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 16291348)
Cant wait for this ****in movie to come out.

The in-flight footage is gonna be insane.

Just the drone 'chase' footage (which is probably a camera hung under the wing) is absolutely incredible.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/d8ec9dc6...vwko1_540.gifv

notorious 05-12-2022 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16291246)
Man, what a MASSIVE upgrade on James Tolkan.

Stinger just aged like shit. As a kid I thought he was a glass chewing badass but as an adult I just kinda cringe at what a caricature he is anytime he's on the screen.

Harris is going to steal any scene he's in.

A few years ago, I agree.

Harris might not have the juice anymore. Think Patrick Stewart.

DJ's left nut 05-16-2022 02:31 PM

Got my 'early event' tickets for next Tuesday.

Woohoo!

Sure-Oz 05-16-2022 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16296472)
Got my 'early event' tickets for next Tuesday.

Woohoo!

Nice. I just rewatched the first one. I'm hoping to go next weekend

CoMoChief 05-24-2022 07:31 AM

Saw an early screening of this.

It's a must see entertaining movie. So much fan fare/nods to the orig movie. (Plot also makes some semi-connections to other aviation based movies, Behind Enemy Lines, Iron Eagle (kindof).

Some moments in climax of film are very "mehhh cmon man lol" but it's a movie. Very "Behind Enemy Lines"-ish.

Incredible camera footage.

DJ's left nut 05-24-2022 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 16305047)
Saw an early screening of this.

It's a must see entertaining movie. So much fan fare/nods to the orig movie.

Some moments in climax of film are very "mehhh cmon man lol" but it's a movie. Very "Behind Enemy Lines"-ish.

Incredible camera footage.

Surely you're not about to do something dumb and say bad things about "Behind Enemy Lines"...

Admiral Leslie Reigart is a goddamn national hero.

DJ's left nut 05-24-2022 08:34 PM

<div class="tenor-gif-embed" data-postid="20769636" data-share-method="host" data-aspect-ratio="2.25352" data-width="100%"><a href="https://tenor.com/view/grandmasboy-cantstop-gif-20769636">Grandmasboy Cantstop GIF</a>from <a href="https://tenor.com/search/grandmasboy-gifs">Grandmasboy GIFs</a></div> <script type="text/javascript" async src="https://tenor.com/embed.js"></script>

Halfcan 05-24-2022 09:01 PM

Watched this tonight and was impressed. It had some great action scenes and did not take itself too seriously while connecting back to the original film.

Looks like it will be the Blockbuster hit of the summer.

DJ's left nut 05-25-2022 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 16306456)
Watched this tonight and was impressed. It had some great action scenes and did not take itself too seriously while connecting back to the original film.

Looks like it will be the Blockbuster hit of the summer.

It's how a sequel should be done.

It paid homage to the original and gave you enough callbacks to and developments from those original characters to appreciate them as critical throughput.

Contrast that to Kathleen Kennedy's approach to Star Wars. Had Kennedy and Rian Johnson made this movie, Tom Cruise would've been a brain damaged homeless hermit suffering from PTSD and pan-handling in LA, Rooster would've had an awkward and unnecessary love interest and the main character would turn out to be Penny Benjamin's daughter, who learns how to fly in 2 weeks and ends up completing the mission on her own.

You can make a damn entertaining sequel without shitting on the original subject material and that's exactly what this did. At times it got a little heavy on the fan service but it was all fan service I LIKED. I mean the intro was completely shoe-horned in there and meant absolutely nothing, it was a blatant callback. And I didn't give a damn - it was still awesome.

And this is the first time I can remember Tom Cruise actually having romantic chemistry with the female lead. I mean Cocktail may be the last time I can think of him having a relationship in a movie that I actually bought. He and Jennifer Connelly work extremely well.

-King- 05-25-2022 09:45 AM

Got tickets for tomorrow. Will be my first movie in a MX4D theater. Hope it's worth it. I'm really excited for it.

Halfcan 05-25-2022 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16307241)
It's how a sequel should be done.

It paid homage to the original and gave you enough callbacks to and developments from those original characters to appreciate them as critical throughput.

Contrast that to Kathleen Kennedy's approach to Star Wars. Had Kennedy and Rian Johnson made this movie, Tom Cruise would've been a brain damaged homeless hermit suffering from PTSD and pan-handling in LA, Rooster would've had an awkward and unnecessary love interest and the main character would turn out to be Penny Benjamin's daughter, who learns how to fly in 2 weeks and ends up completing the mission on her own.

You can make a damn entertaining sequel without shitting on the original subject material and that's exactly what this did. At times it got a little heavy on the fan service but it was all fan service I LIKED. I mean the intro was completely shoe-horned in there and meant absolutely nothing, it was a blatant callback. And I didn't give a damn - it was still awesome.

And this is the first time I can remember Tom Cruise actually having romantic chemistry with the female lead. I mean Cocktail may be the last time I can think of him having a relationship in a movie that I actually bought. He and Jennifer Connelly work extremely well.

:clap: Well said. I really liked how they handled Val Kilmer. I think he might have been dealing with cancer at the time of filming?

Halfcan 05-25-2022 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 16307264)
Got tickets for tomorrow. Will be my first movie in a MX4D theater. Hope it's worth it. I'm really excited for it.

:thumb: I would beat the jet scenes will be worth the extra cost. They were done in a pretty realistic way for the most part.

The scenery is fantastic. I think you are in for a wild ride.

ToxSocks 05-26-2022 04:28 PM

I got this guitar sitting here that i have yet to fiddle around with.

I think i just found my motivation.

Goddamnit, im going to learn how to play the Top Gun title song.

Im going to drive my wife nuts playing the same riff over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over....
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zCTJmXrgsFg" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bowser 05-26-2022 04:59 PM

You gotta go to a wig store and wear a wig like that while playing it for her full enjoyment.

srvy 05-27-2022 06:23 PM

Fox4kc screening room review of TG Maverick

https://fox4kc.com/video/screening-r...pg-13/7717814/

Frazod 05-27-2022 08:14 PM

Critical Drinker absolutely loved it. And he doesn't love much. :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KEwCne2vnFc" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm planning to see it next week. I want the crowds to die down a bit.

tredadda 05-27-2022 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 16310056)
I got this guitar sitting here that i have yet to fiddle around with.

I think i just found my motivation.

Goddamnit, im going to learn how to play the Top Gun title song.

Im going to drive my wife nuts playing the same riff over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over....
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zCTJmXrgsFg" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That theme still gives me the chills. Love it.

Tribal Warfare 05-28-2022 12:17 AM

It was a fun movie, though still pissed it was Goose's son and he would be in his late 30's to early 40's if it was chronologically accurate.

Frazod 05-28-2022 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 16311903)
It was a fun movie, though still pissed it was Goose's son and he would be in his late 30's to early 40's if it was chronologically accurate.

I remember they had a toddler-aged kid in the first one that was Goose's son. If that is supposed to be Rooster, yeah, the time line is more than a bit off. Would help a bit if the wife was pregnant at the time and the kid was born after Goose died.

Of course, this movie was completed a couple of years ago and has sat in the can because of covid. And do they actually say when the movie was set? If the kid was born in, say, 1984, and the movie is set in 2016, that would make him 32. If it was a child born after Goose's death, he could be around 30. If Rooster didn't go the Annapolis route immediately after high school and instead went to a normal college, then attended OCS later, the time line isn't too bad. Also, at least when I was in, it generally took a lieutenant about eight years to make lieutenant commander, so if he's portrayed as a lieutenant in this, he could just be a really senior one in his early 30s.

The hardest part to believe is that Mitchell himself is still (a) a captain on active duty, and (b) flying jets in his 50s.

But, it's just a movie - and from everything I've heard, a damned good one. So I'm more than willing to let it go.

mr. tegu 05-28-2022 12:52 PM

I’ve never seen the original. I’ve got it recorded so I can watch it ahead of this new one since it sounds like it’s pretty good.

Valiant 05-28-2022 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 16312314)
I’ve never seen the original. I’ve got it recorded so I can watch it ahead of this new one since it sounds like it’s pretty good.

Make sure you Vaseline your body up before watching and wear swim trunks.

Tribal Warfare 05-28-2022 07:43 PM

BTW, the didn't "woke up" the show having the female pilot being the best.

Stryker 05-28-2022 08:01 PM

Going to see this Tuesday - tickets in hand - cannot wait!

Tribal Warfare 05-28-2022 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stryker (Post 16312784)
Going to see this Tuesday - tickets in hand - cannot wait!

You'll need water to replenish yourself after the intro

BWillie 05-28-2022 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 16312314)

You are the first person (whos over 30 I presume) who hasn't seen Top Gun.

kcpasco 05-28-2022 10:05 PM

Loved it. Glad they brought back the tomcat.

Pepe Silvia 05-28-2022 10:59 PM

Sorry, I just had to……

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/74b6Whj5zNc" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BWillie 05-29-2022 12:22 AM

Absolutely fantastic movie. I don't really see the point of Jennifer Connellys character but I guess most ppl just have to have some romantic love interest in a movie, which Ill never understand.

-King- 05-29-2022 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 16307264)

Totally worth it. The last 30 or so minutes were just a roller coaster. This movie was tailor made for that type of theater. The only thing I would change would be a bigger/curved screen to make it more immersive. Other than that, 10/10 experience.

Snica 05-29-2022 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16312086)
I remember they had a toddler-aged kid in the first one that was Goose's son. If that is supposed to be Rooster, yeah, the time line is more than a bit off. Would help a bit if the wife was pregnant at the time and the kid was born after Goose died.

Of course, this movie was completed a couple of years ago and has sat in the can because of covid. And do they actually say when the movie was set? If the kid was born in, say, 1984, and the movie is set in 2016, that would make him 32. If it was a child born after Goose's death, he could be around 30. If Rooster didn't go the Annapolis route immediately after high school and instead went to a normal college, then attended OCS later, the time line isn't too bad. Also, at least when I was in, it generally took a lieutenant about eight years to make lieutenant commander, so if he's portrayed as a lieutenant in this, he could just be a really senior one in his early 30s.

The hardest part to believe is that Mitchell himself is still (a) a captain on active duty, and (b) flying jets in his 50s.

But, it's just a movie - and from everything I've heard, a damned good one. So I'm more than willing to let it go.

Haven't seen it yet but I'm being on it being a second child.

"Hey you big stud, take me to bed and lose me forever."

stumppy 05-29-2022 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 16312972)
Sorry, I just had to……

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/74b6Whj5zNc" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LMAO

displacedinMN 05-30-2022 06:20 PM

So Tom Cruise has his biggest opening weekend. 100 m or so.

Big deal. Movie admission is a hell of a lot more than it did when Top gun came out.

I want to know how many tickets were sold-not money.

kcpasco 05-30-2022 06:22 PM

Great movie that added diversity without going stupid woke bs.

B_Razz 05-30-2022 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 16312874)
You are the first person (whos over 30 I presume) who hasn't seen Top Gun.

I just saw the first top gun this weekend and I am 33. Just never saw it for some reason. Loved the 2nd one ( just saw it today). The first one was okay....

Stryker 05-30-2022 08:26 PM

Going to see this tomorrow @ 10:35 am! Tickets in hand! Can not wait!

Watched No Time to Die, Matrix Resurrection and now this. Rest of week will be Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger and the Chris Pine one! Fun summer so far! :thumb:

chiefzilla1501 05-30-2022 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 16314443)

Big deal. Movie admission is a hell of a lot more than it did when Top gun came out.

It is definitely a big deal. I don't remember any Tom cruise movie getting nearly this kind of hype and it is easily the most hyped up theater movie post covid at a time when many movie makers are splitting between theaters and streaming.

And it deserves the hype. This movie was specifically made with the cinema in mind and it delivered. The insistence on making this a cinema only movie upped their game. It was an absolute adrenaline rush and I can't imagine feeling a fraction of that streaming from home. Can't rememher the last time I felt that way

CoMoChief 05-31-2022 12:00 AM

If you eject at mach10+ you're not living to tell about it afterwards lol. That's almost 8,000 mph.

F15 pilot talks about ejecting at 800mph and how it crush his orbital bones, fractures vertebrate, broken limbs, getting knocked out only to wake up hanging in a parachute. Was lucky to get out of that alive.

Imagine going 10x that fast. It'd rip your body apart.

And does Maverick own a car?

BWillie 05-31-2022 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 16314553)
It is definitely a big deal. I don't remember any Tom cruise movie getting nearly this kind of hype and it is easily the most hyped up theater movie post covid at a time when many movie makers are splitting between theaters and streaming.

And it deserves the hype. This movie was specifically made with the cinema in mind and it delivered. The insistence on making this a cinema only movie upped their game. It was an absolute adrenaline rush and I can't imagine feeling a fraction of that streaming from home. Can't rememher the last time I felt that way

It was a significant mistake for Dune to not open in theaters. Had to cost them 50 million. Blockbusters shouldn't be streamed, at least initially.

Frazod 05-31-2022 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 16314443)

Top Lifetime Adjusted Grosses

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/..._gross_to=2019

Not going to post the list because the graphic is too long, but the top 5 are:

Gone With The Wind
Star Wars
Sound of Music
E.T.
Titanic

The first Marvel movie (Avengers Endgame) cracks the list at No. 16.

And the original Top Gun is No. 124.

BigRichard 05-31-2022 08:46 AM

Where am I?

Earth!

DJ's left nut 05-31-2022 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 16312755)
BTW, the didn't "woke up" the show having the female pilot being the best.

Spoiler!

Stryker 05-31-2022 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 16314828)
Where am I?

Earth!

"It's the only look I have"

Stryker 05-31-2022 05:17 PM

Saw this today and I loved it! Thought it was exactly what I expected going into it. They did an awesome job with the film and love the "parallels" to the original. :thumb:

Stryker 05-31-2022 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 16314638)
If you eject at mach10+ you're not living to tell about it afterwards lol. That's almost 8,000 mph.

F15 pilot talks about ejecting at 800mph and how it crush his orbital bones, fractures vertebrate, broken limbs, getting knocked out only to wake up hanging in a parachute. Was lucky to get out of that alive.

Now I thought the very same thing - he gone! But, it is a "movie". Yes, he would have been destroyed. Ejecting from that mach 10+ airplane - I get it. I actually was expecting a 6 weeks earlier.. at that point. :thumb:

DJ's left nut 05-31-2022 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 16314638)

I’d imagine a hypersonic jet wouldn’t have an ejection seat but rather a ‘pod’ designed for surviveability. Something similar to the space shuttle. The belief is that the challenger astronauts, at least some of them, survived the breakup because their pod absorbed the forces involved. Unfortunately the chutes didn’t work.

Snica 05-31-2022 08:48 PM

Top gun trailer

Absolutely incredible experience! 10 out of 10 would do again!

Then there's Jennifer. My lord.

Stewie 05-31-2022 08:59 PM

I've heard many good things about this movie. Loved the original.

Tickets bought for tomorrow. It's supposed to be a cloudy, rainy day. Perfect movie-going weather.

Red Dawg 06-01-2022 09:11 PM

Tom is a nutball for sure but he's a great movie star. MAVERICK WAS BADASS!

Prison Bitch 06-01-2022 10:02 PM

A+ for action that’s for damn sure. The classic American summer blockbuster is back - we’ve been missing them. A lot actually.

Cruise proves star power still matters in HollyWeird. Honestly if he didn’t make it back to this film, if they tried a new actor for this role, or did a re-make, or a new story, it’d have flopped. I’d have never seen it personally. He can carry a film on his back like Atlas.

The plot was pretty thin. Of course I reminded myself I wasn’t there for a damn plot anyway! My boys were enthralled by it.

Didn’t know it was Jen Connolly until the credits. Good gracious that is one glorious female.

Finally, I REALLY appreciated no steamy, forced love scene. Just two people rekindling something we don’t really know much about. With kids in tow, I didn’t need another Berlin to sing a sex-song.

Frazod 06-03-2022 04:02 PM

Well, I just saw it.

I did enjoy it, but like most movies that get hyped all to hell beforehand, not nearly as much as I had hoped I would.

I guess I'll still spoiler my thoughts.

Spoiler!

One thing I won't spoiler - we stayed until the end of the credits because one of my wife's FB friends to her there was a post credits scene. There wasn't.

Prison Bitch 06-04-2022 07:39 PM

Good write up man. Didnt know you had it in you

The clearly obv location they were attacking was Iran. Everyone should’ve been able to spot that.

BigRedChief 06-05-2022 11:57 PM

Saw it today. They had every cliche imaginable making an appearance in this movie. Every person in this film was predictable as were their actions. Yet, it was still entertaining.

Using real DOD F-18’s and the access that the DOD allowed made this movie unlike any before it. You didn’t need CGI to show the action or speed of the jets. Best dog fights ever filmed.

Gravedigger 06-06-2022 12:29 AM

I loved it. Wasn’t a huge fan of the original growing up, just wasn’t a movie that I watched over and over again, but found this movie to hit all the right notes. Tom Cruise maybe a strange individual, but he’s made some of my most favorite films and knows what resonates with the audience. Wonderful film, paid homage all throughout the run time, and I’m glad that this movie was as good as it was given the amount of time it took to come out. Not sure I’d be as interested in the young cast if they ever made another without Cruise, but this is like Terminator 2 to me, just an amazing time at the movies for a sequel.

notorious 06-06-2022 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16321430)
Saw it today. They had every cliche imaginable making an appearance in this movie. Every person in this film was predictable as were their actions. Yet, it was still entertaining.

Using real DOD F-18’s and the access that the DOD allowed made this movie unlike any before it. You didn’t need CGI to show the action or speed of the jets. Best dog fights ever filmed.

They only charged 10k an hour to use an F-18. Granted, the actors rode bitch in the back but still.

I'd line up in a heartbeat for that deal.

DJ's left nut 06-06-2022 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16321430)

Yup.

You and Frazod are absolutely correct - there was nothing from a story perspective that made that movie unique. And frankly, I want to go see it removed from the 'burden' of watching the story just so I can appreciate the cinematography.

Because that's what truly made the movie.

To me it was a lot like Dunkirk. Dunkirk is a fairly dull, lifeless movie on television. But on a large screen it was incredible. Maverick is the same animal.

Frazod 06-06-2022 11:04 AM

I guess I should point out that one of my criticisms is unfounded in the modern Navy - a pilot/RIO can wear glasses or contacts if his/her vision is correctable to 20/20. That wasn't the case when I was in, but of course I was in when the first movie came out in the mid 80s. I thought they just put glasses on Bob to make his dorky character even dorkier. While it was a small thing, it was enough to set off my Navy veteran bullshit alarm.

Anyway, I was wrong on that point. I stand by the rest of them, though.

notorious 06-06-2022 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16321776)
I guess I should point out that one of my criticisms is unfounded in the modern Navy - a pilot/RIO can wear glasses or contacts if his/her vision is correctable to 20/20. That wasn't the case when I was in, but of course I was in when the first movie came out in the mid 80s. I thought they just put glasses on Bob to make his dorky character even dorkier. While it was a small thing, it was enough to set off my Navy veteran bullshit alarm.

Anyway, I was wrong on that point. I stand by the rest of them, though.

This was THE reason I didn't join the AF or Navy.

I wanted at least a shot at making the flight program. They said nope, but still pushed hard since my test scores were fantastic.

**** em'

Frazod 06-06-2022 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 16321777)
This was THE reason I didn't join the AF or Navy.

I wanted at least a shot at making the flight program. They said nope, but still pushed hard since my test scores were fantastic.

**** em'

I still kind of question it, though. I mean, with all the violent physical forces at play on somebody flying a fighter, it seems kind of chancy. I've known people to lose contacts or have their glasses break/shift from a variety of things infinitely more gentle than five G barrel rolls.

Hammock Parties 06-06-2022 11:28 AM

love a good naval expose from frazod LMAO

Frazod 06-06-2022 11:35 AM

Admittedly, my only real experience with naval aviation was when a carrier my ship was alongside in the Med during an UNREP (resupplying by lines and helos) scrambled its ready fighters as we performed an emergency breakaway when a Russian cruiser steamed directly ahead of us and stopped.

The Russian ship moved out of way. Quickly. :D They ****ed with us like that sometimes. I'm sure we did the same to them.

That shit was LOUD, too.

Bowser 06-06-2022 03:04 PM

And here my dumb ass was thinking the actors actually got to fly the planes after watching this and the training they went through, lol.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yEydyy7fkjs" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Even if they didn't fly them it's impressive they were in there and dealing with those G's.

DJ's left nut 06-06-2022 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 16322189)
And here my dumb ass was thinking the actors actually got to fly the planes after watching this and the training they went through, lol.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yEydyy7fkjs" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Even if they didn't fly them it's impressive they were in there and dealing with those G's.

Wait...what?!?

You thought they just tossed Miles Teller the keys to an F-18 and said "bring 'er back in one piece..."

My understanding is that Cruise can actually fly and that he actually flew that trainer in the scene at the end with Jennifer Connelly. But that part of the Navy allowing them to use the real Hornets was a strict "Tom Cruise can't touch ANYTHING" requirement because...well, his reputation precedes him.

The guys just balls to the walls - but there's no way they're giving a pile of actors control of a fighter jet.

O.city 06-06-2022 03:39 PM

Saw it last night. Enjoyed it.

No chance I could withstand the force of pilots. Just not a club in my bag for that.

DJ's left nut 06-06-2022 03:44 PM

Yes - it appears Tom Cruise can definitely fly a P-51 as well as an actual 'fighter' style jet.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/v1iZtBM23bY" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

James Corden is an annoying pain in the ass but Tom Cruise is just wild as hell, man.

EDIT: From what I can find that's an Aero L-39 Albatros. Max Speed is in the 500 mph range with a 36K ft ceiling and a climb rate around 21 m/s; can pull a hair over 6 Gs.

So it ain't a Raptor or anything but it does not **** around.

staylor26 06-06-2022 03:58 PM

Great movie.

9/10

I highly suggest watching in theaters as opposed to waiting to watch it at home.

ToxSocks 06-06-2022 04:02 PM

I went back to my home town yesterday and drove by the ol' Top Gun house. They turned it into a restaurant. I use to walk by that house everyday as a kid.

That whole area has been radically changed. They've got nice big hotels everywhere. Can't even see the ocean from the hillside any more.

Two things still stand: My favorite taco shop and the Top Gun house. But even the Top gun house has been changed.

They built a movie theater within a 1 min walk from the Top Gun house and I was thiiiiiis close to stopping in to watch Top Gun 2. Just not enough time in the day yesterday.

I think i might drive back next weekend just to watch the Movie in Oceanside.

I mean, how cool would it be to watch Top Gun 2 just 1min away from where parts of Top Gun were filmed?

notorious 06-06-2022 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16322264)
Yes - it appears Tom Cruise can definitely fly a P-51 as well as an actual 'fighter' style jet.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/v1iZtBM23bY" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

James Corden is an annoying pain in the ass but Tom Cruise is just wild as hell, man.

EDIT: From what I can find that's an Aero L-39 Albatros. Max Speed is in the 500 mph range with a 36K ft ceiling and a climb rate around 21 m/s; can pull a hair over 6 Gs.

So it ain't a Raptor or anything but it does not **** around.

I'm going to guess it can climb faster than that. ;)

(Nevermind, I'm used to meter or feet/minute)

Bowser 06-06-2022 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16322246)
Wait...what?!?

You thought they just tossed Miles Teller the keys to an F-18 and said "bring 'er back in one piece..."

My understanding is that Cruise can actually fly and that he actually flew that trainer in the scene at the end with Jennifer Connelly. But that part of the Navy allowing them to use the real Hornets was a strict "Tom Cruise can't touch ANYTHING" requirement because...well, his reputation precedes him.

The guys just balls to the walls - but there's no way they're giving a pile of actors control of a fighter jet.

I mean, I figured it was a retired F/18 drug out of mothballs LMAO

Let me be excited and a live self constructed fantasy life vicariously, damn you.

ToxSocks 06-06-2022 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 16322295)

I mean, how cool would it be to watch Top Gun 2 just 1min away from where parts of Top Gun were filmed?

Shit, us locals call it "the Top Gun House".... in case no one knows wtf im talking about.

I'm referring to the house where Tom Cruise ****ed Kelly McGillis. The "Take my Breath Away" scene where Tom Cruise rides off into the sunset on his Kawasaki Ninja.

DJ's left nut 06-06-2022 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 16322301)
I'm going to guess it can climb faster than that. ;)

That's 4100 ft/minute, no?

That's pretty damn severe, especially for a sub-sonic trainer. About 7 times what a Cessna is rated for.

I'm guessing it just doesn't have the power to simply go nose up and rocket without running out of inertia and stalling. It looks like a maneuverable little thing but doesn't seem like it's incredibly powerful.

Frazod 06-06-2022 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16322246)
Wait...what?!?

The “trainer” is a P-51 Mustang, and it’s actually owned by Cruise.

DJ's left nut 06-06-2022 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16322329)
The “trainer” is a P-51 Mustang, and it’s actually owned by Cruise.

Yeah, I realized that when I found the Cordrey video.

So I definitely did it a bit of a disservice, to say the least.

I'll be honest - it's smaller than I expected. I remember seeing the fighters on the carrier in San Diego and thinking they were enormous compared to what I expected. But when they were working on/climbing into that Mustang in the movie - it was just...little.

I guess it doesn't have to be as big without jet engines hooked to it and no missiles (pretty sure they didn't even have rockets on those, correct?)

seamonster 06-06-2022 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16315866)
I’d imagine a hypersonic jet wouldn’t have an ejection seat but rather a ‘pod’ designed for surviveability. Something similar to the space shuttle. The belief is that the challenger astronauts, at least some of them, survived the breakup because their pod absorbed the forces involved. Unfortunately the chutes didn’t work.

SR-71 blackbird pilot survived something similar. Plane just disintegrated.

http://www.chuckyeager.org/news/sr-7...ce-lived-tell/

Dayze 06-06-2022 05:59 PM

We saw it on Saturday. Was awesome.
Brought back a lot of memories of the navy. I obviously didn’t fly but was assigned to a Hornet squadron so a lot of the sounds visuals brought back some memories for sure. I was glad they didn’t go too far down a romance line I liked the right amount of reference to the first movie and nostalgia like the opener etc. and some other subtle stuff and liked the new stuff

only thing that sucked was the literal 30 minutes of movie previews before hand. JFC. granted I haven’t been to a movie in probably 10-12 years.

It was nice to see a good action flick that was about god damn super heroes or comic book characters. Just an over the top action movie

staylor26 06-06-2022 06:06 PM

Fun fact:

I ****ed Kelly McGillis’ daughter.

DJ's left nut 06-06-2022 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 16322453)
Fun fact:

I ****ed Kelly McGillis’ daughter.

Did she hold together better than Kelly McGillis?

staylor26 06-06-2022 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16322465)
Did she hold together better than Kelly McGillis?

LMAO

She’s still only like 28, but so far, yes. Even after having kids.

She was 21 when that happened though.

notorious 06-06-2022 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16322326)
That's 4100 ft/minute, no?

That's pretty damn severe, especially for a sub-sonic trainer. About 7 times what a Cessna is rated for.

I'm guessing it just doesn't have the power to simply go nose up and rocket without running out of inertia and stalling. It looks like a maneuverable little thing but doesn't seem like it's incredibly powerful.

Performance isn’t usually published in m/s. It’s usually meters or feet per minute, hence my error.

A fun side fact. F-16s and SU-27s climb around 75,000 feet per minute. You won’t find an official number, though. Secrets and stuff.

DJ's left nut 06-06-2022 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 16322490)
Performance isn’t usually published in m/s. It’s usually meters or feet per minute, hence my error.

A fun side fact. F-16s and SU-27s climb around 75,000 feet per minute. You won’t find an official number, though. Secrets and stuff.

Yeah, anything with that kind of power to weight ratio is gonna go up almost as fast as it can go forward.

The F-16’s really is/was amazing. That kind of performance and agility at those price tags just doesn’t happen often. Really a remarkable service history for the ‘cheap’ option in our fleet. They set out to build a low-cost alternative to the F-15 and ended up with a damn workhorse. Remarkable work there.

notorious 06-06-2022 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16322573)
Yeah, anything with that kind of power to weight ratio is gonna go up almost as fast as it can go forward.

The F-16’s really is/was amazing. That kind of performance and agility at those price tags just doesn’t happen often. Really a remarkable service history for the ‘cheap’ option in our fleet. They set out to build a low-cost alternative to the F-15 and ended up with a damn workhorse. Remarkable work there.

And the F-18 was born out of the competition between the YF-17 and 16. The YF-17 was derived from the F-5.

The F-18 has amazing nose authority that rivals the Su-27/35 and MIG-29/35.

The F-16 is an absolute monster at maintaining energy while doing combat maneuvers. The F-16 XL is amazing in different ways, just didn't have two engines like the Strike Eagle so it lost.