ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Captain Marvel (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=317541)

Jodi's Bareback 01-09-2019 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme (Post 14020122)
Well, good luck with that I guess. Robert Downey Jr's Iron Man popularity was because Iron Man is a fun character and he ****ing killed it in that role.

Can Captain Marvel replicate that? I highly doubt it. But I bet they will blame the audience if it fails to do well.

They'll just blame toxic masculinity.

Jamie 01-09-2019 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 14019827)
Feige has said that Captain Marvel will be the leading figure in the next phase.

...in a video only shown at an industry convention, trying to sell the movie to European exhibitors.

I mean, I don't doubt they intend to feature her, but they're not going to force it to their own detriment. I feel like I come on here and say this every couple months, but the driving force of these decisions isn't SJWism, it's money. Wonder Woman made money. Black Panther made a shitload of money. The market is dictating that diversity sells.

Chiefspants 01-09-2019 06:51 PM

Guys, can we just wait and see on this before declaring Marvel's doom?

Many voiced the same fears about Black Panther, too.

Tribal Warfare 01-09-2019 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 14021490)
...in a video only shown at an industry convention, trying to sell the movie to European exhibitors.

I mean, I don't doubt they intend to feature her, but they're not going to force it to their own detriment. I feel like I come on here and say this every couple months, but the driving force of these decisions isn't SJWism, it's money. Wonder Woman made money. Black Panther made a shitload of money. The market is dictating that diversity sells.

From want I understand she'll be as or even more powerful in comparison to the comics.

Unlike every other MCU hero who are less powerful to their comic counterpart in an attempt to humanize them so they can be more relatable.

Jodi's Bareback 01-09-2019 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 14021561)
From want I understand she'll be as or even more powerful in comparison to the comics.

Unlike every other MCU hero who are less powerful to their comic counterpart in an attempt to humanize them so they can be more relatable.

Mary Sue

A type of female character who is depicted as unrealistically lacking in flaws or weaknesses.

007 01-09-2019 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 14019827)
Feige has said that Captain Marvel will be the leading figure in the next phase.

They want her to have Robert Downey Jr's Iron Man popularity

Ok so from fun loving billionaire philanthropist that grew a conscious to a brooding young woman. Based on the previews, I see nothing fun about her character at all that would draw me in to care.

I hope this movie is better than I expect because I'm just not seeing her as the leader of the Avengers.

Mr. Plow 01-10-2019 08:01 AM

Is Chris Hemsworth also done after End Game?

Chiefspants 01-10-2019 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 14022153)
Is Chris Hemsworth also done after End Game?

Rumors are he's open for more - but Marvel's kept a tight lid on all of the main cast's future outside of Chris Evans.

One of the biggest twists at this point would be if Cap survives

bowener 01-10-2019 02:53 PM

Nobody cares about my opinion, but I would love for live action comic films to die already.

Into the Spiderverse was incredible and I hope that is the direction future comic films move toward. Not necessarily the same animation style or the humor, but into a medium that is freer to do the things that comics can do.

MarkDavis'Haircut 01-15-2019 10:45 AM

Miss Marvel seems lukewarm to me.

Sure-Oz 01-15-2019 12:23 PM

I'm preparing for Cap and Iron Man to bail...we'll see.

Sure-Oz 01-15-2019 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carr4MVP (Post 14040563)

Hopefully it'll be better than expected...kindve like Antman and Wasp.

MarkDavis'Haircut 01-15-2019 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 14041006)
Hopefully it'll be better than expected...kindve like Antman and Wasp.

Ant-Man and the Wasp was legitimately amazing. I liked it more than Infinity Wars. It was everything a comic book movie should be.

Rausch 01-16-2019 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 14023104)
Nobody cares about my opinion, but I would love for live action comic films to die already.

Into the Spiderverse was incredible and I hope that is the direction future comic films move toward. Not necessarily the same animation style or the humor, but into a medium that is freer to do the things that comics can do.

While I don't mind live action I have wondered why Marvel seems to have avoided animated movies almost completely.

I'd love to see Marvel do an animated series like Clone Wars. It could be space based, set in the past (Cap'n 'Murica in WWII?), or even an anthology (What if.)

They already have a live action Loki project for their streaming service. To me it would make sense to go the animated route and save $$$ on paying top tier acting talent.

Bowser 01-16-2019 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 14043059)
While I don't mind live action I have wondered why Marvel seems to have avoided animated movies almost completely.

I'd love to see Marvel do an animated series like Clone Wars. It could be space based, set in the past (Cap'n 'Murica in WWII?), or even an anthology (What if.)

They already have a live action Loki project for their streaming service. To me it would make sense to go the animated route and save $$$ on paying top tier acting talent.

Give me an animated Secret Wars movie/mini series. The Secret Wars from the early 80's based on Battleworld that introduced the Beyonder, mind you. I would shell out good bucks to see that.

Fish 01-16-2019 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14045763)
Give me an animated Secret Wars movie/mini series. The Secret Wars from the early 80's based on Battleworld that introduced the Beyonder, mind you. I would shell out good bucks to see that.

That would be ****ing awesome to be honest.

Fish 01-24-2019 12:02 PM

LMAO... harsh.....

https://i.imgur.com/G4YvJul.png?1

Bowser 01-24-2019 12:59 PM

ROFL

Brie got it all in the front, apparently. Lol

Bowser 01-24-2019 01:01 PM

And dammit, I really want to be excited for this, but I'm having a hard time getting all nerded up for it. I think this movie is going to end up being critical in the Infinity War/Endgame storyline, but I'm still just lukewarm for the Captain Marvel movie. Is it possible I'm reaching some point of oversaturation with Marvel movies??

crayzkirk 01-24-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14069466)
And dammit, I really want to be excited for this, but I'm having a hard time getting all nerded up for it. I think this movie is going to end up being critical in the Infinity War/Endgame storyline, but I'm still just lukewarm for the Captain Marvel movie. Is it possible I'm reaching some point of oversaturation with Marvel movies??

I agree with this because of all the movies, the Avengers series has been my least favorite (okay, Iron Man 3 wasn't good either). I am hoping for another interesting character origin story however this looks for all the world to be a real Mary Sue. Characters that have no weakness are pretty boring. Just ask One Punch Man. It's hard to relate to someone that has no character flaws and is basically SuperMan (before he got nerfed).

Just Passin' By 02-09-2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carr4MVP (Post 14040563)

Brie Larson isn't doing it any favors.

Tribal Warfare 02-09-2019 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14069459)
ROFL

Brie got it all in the front, apparently. Lol

definitely spent her money well

Fish 02-10-2019 10:21 AM

This is pretty funny though: https://www.marvel.com/captainmarvel

Bowser 02-10-2019 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14099981)
This is pretty funny though: https://www.marvel.com/captainmarvel

Nice, her very own Myspace page! LMAO

I liked the "find the Skrull" game, lol

Deberg_1990 02-10-2019 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14099985)
Nice, her very own Myspace page! LMAO

I liked the "find the Skrull" game, lol

That’s funny. If it’s set in 90s, then it’s probably more like a Geocities site.

Bowser 02-10-2019 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 14100275)
That’s funny. If it’s set in 90s, then it’s probably more like a Geocities site.

Angelfire!

MarkDavis'Haircut 02-10-2019 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 14099549)
Brie Larson isn't doing it any favors.

What did she say now?

CoMoChief 02-10-2019 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14100304)
Angelfire!

lol...was waiting for a dialup modem sound or a "You got mail" audiofile.

Rausch 02-11-2019 01:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carr4MVP (Post 14041489)
Ant-Man and the Wasp was legitimately amazing. I liked it more than Infinity Wars.

Just Passin' By 02-11-2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carr4MVP (Post 14100589)
What did she say now?

Shit like the following

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/...m-of-activism/

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/...el-press-tour/

Tribal Warfare 02-11-2019 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 14101847)

FFS,bitch just STFU and allow the product to sell itself.

Disney/Marvel's stepping on their proverbial dick, by OPing Danvers and hoping that Brie will be the new RDJ of the MCU.

Just Passin' By 02-11-2019 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 14102010)
FFS,bitch just STFU and allow the product to sell itself.

Disney/Marvel's stepping on their proverbial dick, by OPing Danvers and hoping that Brie will be the new RDJ of the MCU.

I'm just one person, but she's cost Marvel any shot at getting money from me with this movie.

Mr. Plow 02-11-2019 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 14102489)
I'm just one person, but she's cost Marvel any shot at getting money from me with this movie.

It plays into I2, so no chance I'll skip it. I'm not sure if it's Brie, or if it's because it's a character I don't know much about, or what. I'm just really.......uhhh........meh, about the movie. I'll see it. I'm just not overly excited about it. More than likely, it's not an opening weekend view for me. Probably wait a week or two. I'm more excited about future movies.....Spiderman, Guardians, Black Panther, etc.

Or it could just be that I'm a middle aged white male and I don't understand anything.

Mr. Plow 02-11-2019 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 14102010)
by OPing Danvers and hoping that Brie will be the new RDJ of the MCU.

I've seen this said in multiple places; that they have made Captain Marvel overpowered. I know literally nothing about the character - can you explain this for me a bit? Why is everyone saying she's overpowered?

Buehler445 02-11-2019 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 14101847)

:spock:
:facepalm:

For ****s sake. Just make the ****ing money. Take the ****ing money then go be an activist.

Just Passin' By 02-12-2019 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 14102597)
It plays into I2, so no chance I'll skip it. I'm not sure if it's Brie, or if it's because it's a character I don't know much about, or what. I'm just really.......uhhh........meh, about the movie. I'll see it. I'm just not overly excited about it. More than likely, it's not an opening weekend view for me. Probably wait a week or two. I'm more excited about future movies.....Spiderman, Guardians, Black Panther, etc.

Or it could just be that I'm a middle aged white male and I don't understand anything.

You do you, and God bless you regardless of your decision, but word of mouth will tell me what I need to know for I2.

Tribal Warfare 02-12-2019 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 14102600)
I've seen this said in multiple places; that they have made Captain Marvel overpowered. I know literally nothing about the character - can you explain this for me a bit? Why is everyone saying she's overpowered?

Essentially, she's Superman with the ability to generate as much power as a blue star when comes to impulse blasts and like Magneto can control gravitational pull which is part of her flight ability.

Mr. Plow 02-12-2019 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 14102694)
Essentially, she's Superman with the ability to generate as much power as a blue star when comes to impulse blasts and like Magneto can control gravitational pull which is part of her flight ability.

Is she also that powerful in the comics or is it that Marvel is increasing her abilities?

Gravedigger 02-12-2019 11:28 AM

I don't mind the comments, but eventually you've been talking this character up so much like she's the greatest thing ever. The product better deliver or she'll get a sequel and some cameo's in other films and that'll be it. In this business of Marvel, you better make some money and care about what the audience thinks about you as much as you think about you.

Tribal Warfare 02-12-2019 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 14102957)
Is she also that powerful in the comics or is it that Marvel is increasing her abilities?

She's that powerful in the comics, and Brie herself has said she'll be able to move planets.

Disney/Marvel aren't powering her down like they did with Hulk(WorldBreaker) and Thor(Odin Force). Feige has said that Danvers will be the most powerful Avenger by far.

Setsuna 02-12-2019 12:13 PM

Captain Marvel is just mad Thanos didn't wipe out the entire male population in the universe and she's gonna beat him up for it. That's all I see.

Mr. Plow 02-12-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 14103193)
She's that powerful in the comics, and Brie herself has said she'll be able to move planets.

Disney/Marvel aren't powering her down like they did with Hulk(WorldBreaker) and Thor(Odin Force). Feige has said that Danvers will be the most powerful Avenger by far.

Thanks for the info! Really appreciate it.

FAX 02-12-2019 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 13747099)
Oh ... and based on the trailer, it looks like some alien race is implanting something in Danvers' skull. Implant, check.

Then she talks about these "memories" that aren't really like memories. Schizophrenia, check.

I don't know how they get the "struck by lightning" part, though. Maybe she is blasted by some kind of ray in the film.

FAX THE CONFIDENT THERE MAY BE A CONNECTION HERE

It appears my awesome theory is playing out perfectly.

I have a love/hate relationship with "I told you so."

FAX

ThaVirus 02-12-2019 03:51 PM

Power creep in the MCU is getting out of control

Amnorix 02-13-2019 08:57 AM

As the Captain Marvel movie is set in the 1990s, they have designed a 1990s style website, which is hilariously awful/awesome. Those colors!!

https://www.marvel.com/captainmarvel

Just Passin' By 02-17-2019 11:30 PM

Projections for this movie (they're only projections and could end up being wrong, but it's what we have) have reportedly plummeted.

Quote:

Back in January, following the NCAA trailer, it was reported that Captain Marvel was projected to have a massive $160 million opening weekend with some estimates even offering $180 million.

However, the bad news for Kevin Feige and Captain Marvel is that those projections have now dropped upwards of $80 million (note: article has been updated to reflect million and not percent), as it is reported the flick may only open around $100 million.
https://cosmicbook.news/captain-marvel-trouble

DaFace 02-17-2019 11:32 PM

I wonder how they do those projections. Is there science behind it, or is it someone's wild guess?

Jamie 02-18-2019 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 14112020)
Projections for this movie (they're only projections and could end up being wrong, but it's what we have) have reportedly plummeted.

https://cosmicbook.news/captain-marvel-trouble

So it's cratering from a top 10 all time opening to a regular giant success?

Just Passin' By 02-18-2019 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 14112070)

:shrug:

To me, a possible $80 million drop seems newsworthy and not something to deride. You should feel free to continue to minimize it if you wish, though.

Either way, as I said, it's what we have now. It could be a harbinger, as was the case with the Ghostbusters reboot. It could also be either overcome (as in the case of the relatively slow start for Aquaman over the holidays) or wrong (low projection number is blown past).

keg in kc 02-18-2019 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 14112070)

100 million would still be like the 5th highest March weekend ever.

You can definitely see the middle-aged male reaction in this thread, though. Get back in the kitchen, Danvers. And what the **** are those? Shoes?

DaFace 02-18-2019 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 14112078)
:shrug:

To me, a possible $80 million drop seems newsworthy and not something to deride. You should feel free to continue to minimize it if you wish, though.

Either way, as I said, it's what we have now. It could be a harbinger, as was the case with the Ghostbusters reboot. It could also be either overcome (as in the case of the relatively slow start for Aquaman over the holidays) or wrong (low projection number is blown past).

I just have trouble giving a shit what "projections" are saying about a movie that isn't even out yet. If it's good, it'll make money. If it's not, it'll tank. No one's seen it yet, so talking about projections seems a bit silly.

Just Passin' By 02-18-2019 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14112284)
I just have trouble giving a shit what "projections" are saying about a movie that isn't even out yet. If it's good, it'll make money. If it's not, it'll tank. No one's seen it yet, so talking about projections seems a bit silly.

I'm not really seeing your issue here. Projections are about income, not movie quality. Shitty movies make money. Good movies tank. It happens all the time.

DaFace 02-18-2019 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 14112408)
I'm not really seeing your issue here. Projections are about income, not movie quality. Shitty movies make money. Good movies tank. It happens all the time.

Sure, but what is this based on? I can't find anything out there that indicates it's anything than someone's educated guess. And even then, it's based on opening weekend - not total gross - so why does it really matter?

And even then, are we actually trying to imply that a $100m opening is weak? That's what Wonder Woman did. If Captain Marvel is received as well as Wonder Woman, that would be a huge success for Marvel in my mind.

lawrenceRaider 02-18-2019 11:26 AM

Last trailer I saw for this looked much better. I may yet see it in the theaters. Guess it will depend on how initial reactions look.

DaFace 02-18-2019 11:28 AM

I don't know why I care enough to really look into this, but just for the record, early predictions for Black Panther were in the $100m to $120m range. It ended up closer to $200m.

http://collider.com/black-panther-bo...d-predictions/

So in summary, I don't know why anyone cares about predictions since they seem to be a ballpark estimate that is often wrong on huge scale.

Nirvana58 02-18-2019 12:12 PM

Marvel basically set this movie up not to fail. It is pivotal to the Avengers movie coming out in May so you have to see Captain Marvel in Theaters if you want to be up to date on whats going on.

There is literally no other movie competing with it in March. Go and look up movies being released in that time frame. If you want to go watch a movie that month this is pretty much it.

Smart on Marvels part to basically force this movie down our throats. Hopefully they follow through and make an amazing movie. So far their movies have earned the right for me to give this movie a chance. So I will probably end up watching it in theaters.

Bowser 02-18-2019 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana58 (Post 14112539)
Marvel basically set this movie up not to fail. It is pivotal to the Avengers movie coming out in May so you have to see Captain Marvel in Theaters if you want to be up to date on whats going on.

There is literally no other movie competing with it in March. Go and look up movies being released in that time frame. If you want to go watch a movie that month this is pretty much it.

Smart on Marvels part to basically force this movie down our throats. Hopefully they follow through and make an amazing movie. So far their movies have earned the right for me to give this movie a chance. So I will probably end up watching it in theaters.

Yeah, this.

Brie Larson just looks.....out of place as Marvel. Too.....wooden, or something. But like you said, Marvel has crushed it on easily 90% of everything they've done since the first Iron Man, so I'll give them the benefit on this one.

O.city 02-18-2019 12:31 PM

I'll go watch it. My oldest is obsessed with the Marvel universe so I'm sure we'll enjoy it.

Just Passin' By 02-18-2019 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14112444)
Sure, but what is this based on? I can't find anything out there that indicates it's anything than someone's educated guess.

Of course that's all it is. Regardless of the underpinnings, that's all it can possibly be, since it's an attempt to predict the future.

Quote:

And even then, it's based on opening weekend - not total gross - so why does it really matter?

Two things make today's movie industry go, and those are money and political agendas. And the studios need to make enough of the former to pursue the latter.

Quote:

And even then, are we actually trying to imply that a $100m opening is weak? That's what Wonder Woman did. If Captain Marvel is received as well as Wonder Woman, that would be a huge success for Marvel in my mind.

If you can't accept that a potential $80 million drop in opening week revenue is something significant enough to point out, you're welcome to hold onto that position. Marvel has done just about everything possible to set this movie up as a monstrous success, because it wants this character to be a major part of the next phase of the MCU. I think that a Marvel movie showing such a potential drop despite that is newsworthy, particularly when a stated part of the reason for the projected drop is that the movie's star just won't shut the **** up about things that are irrelevant to the movie.

KingPriest2 02-18-2019 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana58 (Post 14112539)

Its coming out April 26

Rausch 02-19-2019 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14112585)
Yeah, this.

Brie Larson just looks.....out of place as Marvel. Too.....wooden, or something. But like you said, Marvel has crushed it on easily 90% of everything they've done since the first Iron Man, so I'll give them the benefit on this one.

This movie has been given every chance to succeed but Larson has done everything in her power to make it fail.

She, not Marvel/Disney, has marketed this as a social justice landmark film.

And people should not be comparing this to Black Panther. Some fans and media might have gone on and on about SJ stuff but the cast and marketing itself did not. The most you heard out of them was "hey, we think a mostly black cast is a great thing" and I agree. There's room in the MCU for everyone.

Perhaps it's a great movie and will do great. Up until now I think the MCU has done a fantastic job. Despite what the star has to say about the film it might not be that type of film at all.

Personally I'm not going to pay to find out. I'll watch it for free when it's out on one of the streaming sites like I did Ant Man and the Wasp.

CoMoChief 02-19-2019 11:54 AM

Other than Spiderman, Thor and Guardians...probably won't watch anymore MCU films after Endgame.

Gravedigger 02-20-2019 07:11 AM

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/02...witter-roundup

CAPTAIN MARVEL / 19 FEB 2019 10:02 PM PST
CAPTAIN MARVEL: FIRST REACTIONS TWITTER ROUNDUP
Share. Everyone loved Goose, too.

BY JESSIE WADE

Captain Marvel was screened to members of the press Tuesday evening in LA, and those who saw it have now been allowed to post their honest reactions about the upcoming Marvel Studios film on social media.

The reactions have been overtly positive, with many saying that Captain Marvel is unlike any other film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Multiple critics have praised Brie Larson, Samuel L. Jackson, and Ben Mendelsohn, as well as the '90s vibe movie setting.

Our roundup of Twitter's first reactions from critics follows:

Editor-in-Chief of We Live Entertainment, Scott Menzel, said it is one of his favorite Marvel films of all time.

Erik Davis, Managing Editor at Fandango, said Captain Marvel is unlike any other Marvel movie and is surprisingly funny.

IGN's James Vejvoda shared his thoughts about Captain Marvel, talking about the '90s nostalgia and how great Larson, Jackson, and Mendelsohn all were.

Slashfilm's Peter Sciretta said Captain Marvel's origin story is great, but the '90s music choices are too obvious at times.

IGN's Jacki Jing talked about the surprising comedy in the script, the '90s soundtrack, and Carol Danvers' adorable cat.

Eric Eisenberg from CinemaBlend said that Danvers' cat, Goose is "a brilliant scene-stealer" and said the movie was "a blast!" and had surprises he didn't see coming.

Uproxx's Mike Ryan had more details to describe his enjoyment of Captain Marvel, saying Mendelsohn was the star, and that the film was, "a lot weirder than I expected."

Editor-in-Chief of Collider, Steven Weintraub, was another who said that Mendelsohn steals the show, and that Larson is perfect for the role of Captain Marvel.

Entertainment Tonight's Ash Crossan said Captain Marvel was extremely relatable as a character and that she loved the film.

LA Times' Sonaiya Kelley gave support to it being, "pro-woman without being over done," while saying it could be similar to the first Captain America movie as an Avengers prequel.

Sounds like a Marvel movie. I was going to go see it anyways, but this makes me a little bit more excited.

DaFace 02-20-2019 08:32 AM

Wonder how they all missed the fact that it's clearly a feminist diatribe.

BigRichard 02-20-2019 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 14115668)
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/02...witter-roundup

CAPTAIN MARVEL / 19 FEB 2019 10:02 PM PST
CAPTAIN MARVEL: FIRST REACTIONS TWITTER ROUNDUP
Share. Everyone loved Goose, too.

BY JESSIE WADE

Captain Marvel was screened to members of the press Tuesday evening in LA, and those who saw it have now been allowed to post their honest reactions about the upcoming Marvel Studios film on social media.

The reactions have been overtly positive, with many saying that Captain Marvel is unlike any other film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Multiple critics have praised Brie Larson, Samuel L. Jackson, and Ben Mendelsohn, as well as the '90s vibe movie setting.

Our roundup of Twitter's first reactions from critics follows:

Editor-in-Chief of We Live Entertainment, Scott Menzel, said it is one of his favorite Marvel films of all time.

Erik Davis, Managing Editor at Fandango, said Captain Marvel is unlike any other Marvel movie and is surprisingly funny.

IGN's James Vejvoda shared his thoughts about Captain Marvel, talking about the '90s nostalgia and how great Larson, Jackson, and Mendelsohn all were.

Slashfilm's Peter Sciretta said Captain Marvel's origin story is great, but the '90s music choices are too obvious at times.

IGN's Jacki Jing talked about the surprising comedy in the script, the '90s soundtrack, and Carol Danvers' adorable cat.

Eric Eisenberg from CinemaBlend said that Danvers' cat, Goose is "a brilliant scene-stealer" and said the movie was "a blast!" and had surprises he didn't see coming.

Uproxx's Mike Ryan had more details to describe his enjoyment of Captain Marvel, saying Mendelsohn was the star, and that the film was, "a lot weirder than I expected."

Editor-in-Chief of Collider, Steven Weintraub, was another who said that Mendelsohn steals the show, and that Larson is perfect for the role of Captain Marvel.

Entertainment Tonight's Ash Crossan said Captain Marvel was extremely relatable as a character and that she loved the film.

LA Times' Sonaiya Kelley gave support to it being, "pro-woman without being over done," while saying it could be similar to the first Captain America movie as an Avengers prequel.

Sounds like a Marvel movie. I was going to go see it anyways, but this makes me a little bit more excited.

Not saying it isn't a good movie but critics can suck a dick. They wouldn't know a good movie if it bit them on the ass.

Sure-Oz 02-20-2019 09:22 AM

I'm sure this movie will be as entertaining ad any other marvel movie recently. I had no doubts I'd be seeing it.

DaFace 02-20-2019 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 14115773)
Not saying it isn't a good movie but critics can suck a dick. They wouldn't know a good movie if it bit them on the ass.

I mean, they're not perfect, but there's a pretty strong correlation between critic ratings and audience ratings, especially in the action/adventure genre.

https://i.imgur.com/0Q1Ce4Z.png

It's really amusing to me how much some of you guys want this thing to be bad. I'm not a huge fan of Larson's off-screen antics either, but I hardly care when it comes to a good flick.

Gravedigger 02-20-2019 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14115843)
I mean, they're not perfect, but there's a pretty strong correlation between critic ratings and audience ratings, especially in the action/adventure genre.

https://i.imgur.com/0Q1Ce4Z.png

It's really amusing to me how much some of you guys want this thing to be bad. I'm not a huge fan of Larson's off-screen antics either, but I hardly care when it comes to a good flick.

I mean outside of "The Last Jedi" I've agreed with Critics far more than disagreed with them. Maybe Venom I could also point to where I enjoyed it but critics panned it. Disney might not have their fingers on the pulse of Star Wars but with Marvel movies, it's about as lock as you can get.

Sully 02-20-2019 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14115715)

Spoiler: So was the original 1977 "Ms. Marvel" comic run...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Buehler445 02-20-2019 11:05 AM

Quote:

Marvel has earned the rope to hang themselves as far as I’m concerned.

Sorry 02-20-2019 11:24 AM

Quote:

Even if it was - so what? Let woman feel some oride or inspiration

Beef Supreme 02-20-2019 02:29 PM

Feel the oride.

Just Passin' By 02-20-2019 02:49 PM

Quote:

In recent years, Wakanda love aside, many movies that have been pushed upon the public and promoted by activists and biased critics have shit the bed. And that should be considered a good thing by everyone.

Quote:

It's really amusing to me how much you tried to denigrate something as innocuous as opening weekend projections in an attempt to defend the movie.

This stuff goes in both directions.

DaFace 02-20-2019 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 14116454)
In recent years, Wakanda love aside, many movies that have been pushed upon the public and promoted by activists and biased critics have shit the bed. And that should be considered a good thing by everyone.

It's really amusing to me how much you tried to denigrate something as innocuous as opening weekend projections in an attempt to defend the movie.

This stuff goes in both directions.

Since it's apparently newsworthy, the projections have been raised up to $120m now.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/02...jections-rise/

And for the record, I still don't understand why anyone cares.

Al Bundy 02-20-2019 05:21 PM

I'm glad she said what she said. I am definitely going to go see it in theaters.

Jamie 02-20-2019 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 14116454)

Care to provide examples? Because all I can come up with is Ghostbusters and The Last Jedi, and TLJ is sort of debatable (it made over a billion dollars has a 7.2 on IMDB). And it's sort of convenient to set aside Black Panther when it directly contradicts your argument.

Rausch 02-21-2019 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 14115773)

How often do critics come out and shit on a Disney movie? Not very often.

I have no problem believing the "it's unlike any other Marvel movie" thing because that was true of Dr. Strange and of Guardians. I have no doubt they're trying something different.

I do get a very TLJ vibe where even if they they think its a love-it-or-hate-it movie they don't say a thing...

Rausch 02-21-2019 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 14116698)
Care to provide examples? Because all I can come up with is Ghostbusters and The Last Jedi, and TLJ is sort of debatable (it made over a billion dollars has a 7.2 on IMDB).

TLJ had an insane opening weekend and then the word of mouth was very poor. People either loved it or absolutely hated it.

And keep in mind that people WANTED to love TLJ.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 14116698)
And it's sort of convenient to set aside Black Panther when it directly contradicts your argument.

I would argue that Disney/Marvel weren't pushing SJW angles to Panther but the media/writers/activists were. It wasn't like they made an all black Fantastic Four - it was a pretty close adaptation to Wakanda in the comix.

I think Black Panther and Luke Cage are the perfect examples of how to add diversity to your films: take diverse characters people already love and adapt them to the screen. And as far as female characters go I think they should have made a Black Widow (a known character people already like) way before a Carl Manvers movie. The character already has mystery surrounding her and fans know who she is. I WANT to know what happened to Black Widow.

You don't have to force diversity - you just quit ignoring that you have a plethora of diverse characters you can choose from...

lawrenceRaider 02-21-2019 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 14117279)

You don't have to force diversity - you just quit ignoring that you have a plethora of diverse characters you can choose from...

That's just crazy talk. How can you be more inclusive if you don't try to eliminate the more offensive tropes?

Just Passin' By 02-21-2019 10:57 AM

https://www.themarysue.com/early-cap...ively-glowing/