ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs sign UDFA Justyn Ross (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=343675)

BryanBusby 05-02-2022 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 16278493)
La'el Collins after that really weird report about some distant connection to a murder that took place. Legit 1st rounder all the way up until a day or two before the draft, then that crap surfaces, only to be retracted just days after the draft, and then he winds up undrafted.

That thing was weeeeeeiiird.

Part of that was his own doing.

Not the murder link but he and his agent did threaten to hold out an re-enter the draft if any team selected him after the first round. So......nobody did.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 05-02-2022 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 16278592)
Random question, but if a UDFA just completely balls out, are they eligible for a fresh, brand-new full contract?

If so, they could make so much ****ing money in their career. They'd get to skip the entire rookie contract years.

That said, with a guy like this, if he were to ball out, I'd structure his deal almost entirely on incentives based on playing time.

Teams can give players extensions and a new contract even if they aren’t done with their first contract. I do think Veach would be the person and be like possibly after year 2. Justyn you’ve had back to back 1,000 yard seasons so we’re gonna sign you long term

rtmike 05-02-2022 12:14 PM

Good for him.
Just hope he doesn't end up like me.

Dante84 05-02-2022 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 16278630)
Teams can give players extensions and a new contract even if they aren’t done with their first contract. I do think Veach would be the person and be like possibly after year 2. Justyn you’ve had back to back 1,000 yard seasons so we’re gonna sign you long term

What I'm saying is, let's say by some miracle he makes the roster, and then by some other miracle he turns in a huge/promising season, he is set to become a FA unless we agree on terms for the future or franchise him.

Would be pretty strong contract leverage for a 23 year old relative to this years' 1st round draft picks, who have to wait until year 4 to negotiate.

The Franchise 05-02-2022 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 16278623)
You know what? I'm going to be nice.

I do hope Justyn Ross is amazeballs. Primarily because it'd be great for the team. But a secondary reason is because of how damn happy it would make MAHOMO. I think he deserves it!

I’m all about him getting his fill in this thread. I got mine with Joshua Williams.

JPH83 05-02-2022 12:30 PM

If he's truly cleared then I'm glad it was the Chiefs who gave him a chance. It's a rough situation for him. Can't see it happening but what a story if he makes it.

Pitt Gorilla 05-02-2022 12:39 PM

I really wanted Isiah Weston, but he's a Brown... :(

Iconic 05-02-2022 12:40 PM

Oh my god LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Is the talent there? 100%, like we are talking Julio Jones type potential with worse deep speed. But you wouldn't be picking up Ross because of his speed, you'd want him for his acrobatic catching abilities and nuanced route running. He would add an entirely new element to this offense if he's physically right.

Only problem is, are teams willing to accept the very small likelihood that he could quite literally die if hit the wrong way on the field. Tough situation, regardless if he's cut or not I'm glad we are the ones to give the kid a fighting chance and at least some semblance of a pay day.

Easily the #1 guy I'll be rooting for while he's here.

OKchiefs 05-02-2022 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 16278639)
What I'm saying is, let's say by some miracle he makes the roster, and then by some other miracle he turns in a huge/promising season, he is set to become a FA unless we agree on terms for the future or franchise him.

Would be pretty strong contract leverage for a 23 year old relative to this years' 1st round draft picks, who have to wait until year 4 to negotiate.

That’s why Restricted Free Agency exists. He wouldn’t be eligible for UFA until after year 4.

Sassy Squatch 05-02-2022 12:45 PM

Yeah, did RFA just cease to exist?

YontsRBake 05-02-2022 12:46 PM

Highly doubt he makes the 53. Mecole, Moore, Juju, MVS, Powell lock up 5 spots, final spot I think very likely goes to Gordon.

ToxSocks 05-02-2022 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YontsRBake (Post 16278697)
Highly doubt he makes the 53. Mecole, Moore, Juju, MVS, Powell lock up 5 spots, final spot I think very likely goes to Gordon.

Powell?

Powell isn't even a lock to make the practice squad.

MahomesMagic 05-02-2022 12:53 PM

I still think Powell has a chance. I think he just might be slow upstairs. Which is why he started slow in college and didn't do shit last year.

staylor26 05-02-2022 12:54 PM

I actually think one of Powell or Ross will make the team.

The Franchise 05-02-2022 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 16278692)
Yeah, did RFA just cease to exist?

It does. They just hit it one year before someone who was drafted.

OKchiefs 05-02-2022 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 16278716)
It does. They just hit it one year before someone who was drafted.

Aren’t basically all contracts for draft picks 4 years in length? Unless a drafted player is released and signs elsewhere they should never end up hitting ERFA or RFA at all.

Iconic 05-02-2022 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 16278539)

I believe he had something like a month or two at max to prepare after the surgery on his foot. Really would not put that much weight into his testing. Is he blazing fast? No chance. But I don't think he's THAT slow either.

Titty Meat 05-02-2022 01:04 PM

Only CP could turn a guy with a spine and foot condition into a roster spot

JPH83 05-02-2022 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 16278713)
I actually think one of Powell or Ross will make the team.

Oof, bold. But if you're right, save this post and savour the victory lap.

O.city 05-02-2022 01:11 PM

I doubt either make it out of camp.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 05-02-2022 01:12 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Patrick Mahomes newest weapon <br>Justyn Ross <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/_jross8?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@_jross8</a> <br><br> <a href="https://t.co/FCzjJkn98w">pic.twitter.com/FCzjJkn98w</a></p>&mdash; Pinewood Sports Network (@PineSportsNet) <a href="https://twitter.com/PineSportsNet/status/1521176202588966921?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 2, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

KCrockaholic 05-02-2022 01:12 PM

He's like AJ Green fast just by watching him play. Not a total burner but is fast enough to get the job done.

rtmike 05-02-2022 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 16278543)
He will be a top 5 WR in this league when it’s all said and done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 16278733)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Patrick Mahomes newest weapon <br>Justyn Ross <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/_jross8?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@_jross8</a> <br><br> <a href="https://t.co/FCzjJkn98w">pic.twitter.com/FCzjJkn98w</a></p>&mdash; Pinewood Sports Network (@PineSportsNet) <a href="https://twitter.com/PineSportsNet/status/1521176202588966921?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 2, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I see Justin Jefferson?

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 05-02-2022 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 16278734)
He's like AJ Green fast just by watching him play. Not a total burner but is fast enough to get the job done.

His route running is insane and he makes some of the most ridiculous catches ever. He’s a perennial pro bowl receiver. He’s Randy Moss in the making!!

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 05-02-2022 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtmike (Post 16278742)
I see Justin Jefferson?

He’s even better!!

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 05-02-2022 01:18 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Kansas City Chiefs are signing former star Clemson WR Justyn Ross as an UDFA�� <a href="https://t.co/jhj6hUWEHh">pic.twitter.com/jhj6hUWEHh</a></p>&mdash; All College Football (@allcfb_) <a href="https://twitter.com/allcfb_/status/1521207345606545409?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 2, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

rtmike 05-02-2022 01:20 PM

Mahomes affect...lol.

staylor26 05-02-2022 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPH83 (Post 16278728)
Oof, bold. But if you're right, save this post and savour the victory lap.

After Moore, Hardman, JuJu, and MVS, it’s wide open. Has a lot to do with the competition.

Wilson8 05-02-2022 01:37 PM

Chiefs camp and preseason should be very interesting.

Lots of good stories with the WR group.

Wide receivers (6) - Mecole Hardman, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, JuJu Smith-Schuster, and Skyy Moore with 4 of the positions.

Justyn Ross, Daurice Fountain, Corey Coleman, Josh Gordon, Gehrig Dieter, Cornell Powell, Chris Finke, Justin Watson, Omar Bayless, Mathew Sexton, and Gary Jennings all chasing their dream to be playing in the NFL.

The Franchise 05-02-2022 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 16278759)
After Moore, Hardman, JuJu, and MVS, it’s wide open. Has a lot to do with the competition.

Fountain sticks because he's the new Kemp.

O.city 05-02-2022 01:39 PM

Generally your last 2 WR's are gonna play quite a bit of special teams as well.

I'd rather have CB's safeties do that though.

Rasputin 05-02-2022 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15 (Post 16278404)
No risk, all upside.

I wouldn't say no risk from having neck surgery however if he is cleared by doctors by all means give the kid a shot. I love competition even if they upset the player i like I'm ok with that because that means he is a better player.

DJ's left nut 05-02-2022 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 16278592)
Random question, but if a UDFA just completely balls out, are they eligible for a fresh, brand-new full contract?

If so, they could make so much ****ing money in their career. They'd get to skip the entire rookie contract years.

That said, with a guy like this, if he were to ball out, I'd structure his deal almost entirely on incentives based on playing time.

Yes and no.

Typically they end up signing a 2 year deal. And when that deal expires you're a free agent. But the kind of free agent depends on your service time.

At 2 years, you're an exclusive rights free agent. Which means the team can sign you to a new deal for technically whatever they want. And they COULD give you some insane long-term deal if they wanted to. Maybe it would even be smart to leverage your ERFA season into a cheap contract.

But very few teams do that. They sign the guy for at/near the league minimum for a season and then when that expires you're a regular RFA and you'd probably get something like a 2nd or 3rd round tender.

You have to have 4 years of NFL service time to be eligible for unrestricted free agency. That's why those hold-out threats in the first 4 years are rarely taken seriously. The last thing these guys want to do is end up as RFAs after they've played 3+ years and their rookie deal has expired. It just pushes their payday back a season.

But folks - this guy may not even make it TO camp. Let's tap the brakes. There's a very clear reason why the kid went undrafted.

Wilson8 05-02-2022 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16278841)
But folks - this guy may not even make it TO camp. Let's tap the brakes. There's a very clear reason why the kid went undrafted.

Completely agree.

A lot of things stacked against Justyn Ross making it in the NFL.

BUT -

Chiefs have him now and we shall see what he can do.

I hope he can at least make it onto Chiefs Practice Squad and then we see what he can grow into when healthy.

Monticore 05-02-2022 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YontsRBake (Post 16278697)

They should have trade mecole for a pick .

DJ's left nut 05-02-2022 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson8 (Post 16278859)
Completely agree.

A lot of things stacked against Justyn Ross making it in the NFL.

BUT -

Chiefs have him now and we shall see what he can do.

I hope he can at least make it onto Chiefs Practice Squad and then we see what he can grow into when healthy.

I kinda feel like he'll either make the 53 or he won't make it to camp.

The rookie camp should tell the coaching staff most of what they need to know. If he's back to what he showed as a Freshman, he'll make the team (again, WR5 and 6 SUUUUUUCKS).

But if he's not, you won't need to see much to know it. Simply running drills will show you as much as you need to see. And then I think you could PUP list him. Don't you lose PUP eligibility if you participate in camp?

At that point maybe they keep him stashed for awhile and see if anything else comes back into form.

The Franchise 05-02-2022 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16278866)
I kinda feel like he'll either make the 53 or he won't make it to camp.

The rookie camp should tell the coaching staff most of what they need to know. If he's back to what he showed as a Freshman, he'll make the team (again, WR5 and 6 SUUUUUUCKS).

But if he's not, you won't need to see much to know it. Simply running drills will show you as much as you need to see. And then I think you could PUP list him. Don't you lose PUP eligibility if you participate in camp?

At that point maybe they keep him stashed for awhile and see if anything else comes back into form.

I think it’s if they attend training camp. I’m not sure a rookie mini camp has any bearing on the PUP list.

DJ's left nut 05-02-2022 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 16278877)
I think it’s if they attend training camp. I’m not sure a rookie mini camp has any bearing on the PUP list.

Right. If I didn't say that, I meant to.

Rookie camp is fine - TC is not. So like I said, I think they'll learn what they need to learn in rookie camp. If he's sound and effective, I think he can actually make the team. If he's sound and ineffective, I don't think they bother to even bring him to St. Joe. And if he's not sound, they put him on the PUP.

And if they're not sure if he's washed or still rehabbing, I still think they put him on the PUP.

But weirdly, I think 'camp cut' may be the LEAST likely option.

KChiefs1 05-02-2022 03:16 PM

https://media4.giphy.com/media/26xBw...7gA0/giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Meck 05-02-2022 03:20 PM

Yeesh. I'm a little scared for the kid.

kccrow 05-02-2022 03:26 PM

Well, color me extremely surprised by this.

staylor26 05-02-2022 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 16278950)
Well, color me extremely surprised by this.

I knew you’d be happy about this!

kccrow 05-02-2022 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 16278956)
I knew you’d be happy about this!

I'm a big fan for sure. I was hoping for him in the 2nd round early on.

I really thought with him dropping out of the draft and everything I read about his condition that there was no way an NFL team was going to give him a shot.

emaw1979 05-02-2022 04:34 PM

This is a great signing. If hes truly healthy and can use this off season to get to 2019 form, he’s our X WR of the future. I don’t have any delusions that he will contribute much this year and would be surprised if they stash him on the IR to give him time. Zero risk to the Chiefs if he doesn’t work out.

big nasty kcnut 05-02-2022 04:36 PM

Seem like a low risk high reward pick. Let see what happens.

ToxSocks 05-02-2022 04:38 PM

That clip of him last season going up in the end zone to snake a grab and then coming down hard on his lower back made me wince. Every time this guy gets tackled imma hold my breath.

Chief Roundup 05-02-2022 05:41 PM

I would not be a bit surprised if Ross is not on IR this first season. Basically like a redshirt year to make sure his health is good.

kccrow 05-02-2022 06:26 PM

If Ross is and remains healthy, he easily makes this team. Who's he have to beat out? Gordon? Fountain? Powell? Yeah.

He was every bit the prospect Drake London was until all the injuries derailed him.

He was back on track to again be a stud after the neck thing before he got that Jones fracture and he still played on it most of the year and was productive. He's tough and wants to be a player, you can't beat that type of determination.

I'm really pulling for the kid because if the planets align the Chiefs just got them a #1 WR as a UDFA.

Mulliganman 05-02-2022 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Saw this and couldn’t help lmao

Simply Red 05-02-2022 06:28 PM

oh my God!! I freaking knew it.

Couch-Potato 05-02-2022 06:39 PM

He's my favorite pickup this offseason for sure.

xztop123 05-02-2022 07:24 PM

Drake London catch radius type guy who’s a little more limber. I hope this guy can stick but obviously it can never be seen as a great move because if he’s able to contribute we made a mistake not drafting with our last picks since another team could have taken him.

staylor26 05-02-2022 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xztop123 (Post 16279323)
Drake London catch radius type guy who’s a little more limber. I hope this guy can stick but obviously it can never be seen as a great move because if he’s able to contribute we made a mistake not drafting with our last picks since another team could have taken him.

LMAO :facepalm:

What a ridiculous take. I guess Trey Smith wasn’t a great move by that logic!

31 other teams didn’t draft Ross either. If it works out, it is absolutely a great move.

Fansy the Famous Bard 05-02-2022 07:35 PM

Quote:

https://i.imgflip.com/3uxi94.jpg

rydogg58 05-02-2022 07:40 PM

Quote:

Lol. No.

Jewish Rabbi 05-02-2022 07:45 PM

Good signing! Seems like the kind of guy who puts on his hard hat and takes his lunch pail of fried chicken to work

L.A. Chieffan 05-02-2022 07:46 PM

I watched some of his highlight film from when Trevor Lawrence was his QB and this kid is a STUD. If he's healthy, plays to his ceiling, and fills out a little he reminds me of another Julio Jones. No joke

kccrow 05-02-2022 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rydogg58 (Post 16279344)
Lol. No.

Please tell me you've actually watched Justyn Ross play football before you laugh at this.

His being a UDFA has zero to do with his football talent. He's a top-15 caliber talent if not for his health issues.

Kiimo 05-02-2022 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rydogg58 (Post 16279344)
Lol. No.

you're right

drake london is gonna be a bust

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 05-02-2022 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 16279355)
I watched some of his highlight film from when Trevor Lawrence was his QB and this kid is a STUD. If he's healthy, plays to his ceiling, and fills out a little he reminds me of another Julio Jones. No joke

He’s Justin Jefferson but better. He’s a ****ing stud. I creamed so hard when I saw we were signing him. He will be our #1 WR next year. He’s special. Top 10 draft pick as a freshman.

Coochie liquor 05-02-2022 08:08 PM

I’m surely in the minority here, but I haven’t written Cornell Powell off yet. I was actually pretty high on him after we drafted him. Thought he would play the role we hoped J Gordon would (but didn’t), and I’m still holding out hope for him. Now we have his teammate on the team.... still hoping to get some productivity out of the General.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 05-02-2022 08:09 PM

Hot Take: If Ross is healthy, he will have better career than Skyy Moore

L.A. Chieffan 05-02-2022 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 16279384)
He’s Justin Jefferson but better. He’s a ****ing stud. I creamed so hard when I saw we were signing him. He will be our #1 WR next year. He’s special. Top 10 draft pick as a freshman.

That's a good comp but he's taller

L.A. Chieffan 05-02-2022 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coochie liquor (Post 16279396)
I’m surely in the minority here, but I haven’t written Cornell Powell off yet. I was actually pretty high on him after we drafted him. Thought he would play the role we hoped J Gordon would (but didn’t), and I’m still holding out hope for him. Now we have his teammate on the team.... still hoping to get some productivity out of the General.

He's a JAG dude

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 05-02-2022 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 16279403)
That's a good comp but he's taller

He’s Mike Williams

Coochie liquor 05-02-2022 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 16279407)
He's a JAG dude

Stop..... I’m not letting that dream die yet. Andy is gonna make him into a star.... or maybe I’m just drunk... and I’ve been told I’m the king of wishful thinking...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2iIgn44l_Vs" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TambaBerry 05-02-2022 08:45 PM

Will you all chill out with these insane expectations. Was the kid a really good wr absolutely. The real deal is his injury history is very concerning. One wrong hit and he could be done.

Coochie liquor 05-02-2022 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TambaBerry (Post 16279483)
Will you all chill out with these insane expectations. Was the kid a really good wr absolutely. The real deal is his injury history is very concerning. One wrong hit and he could be done.

Ummmmm.... you’re sounding like a “Chiefs fan”, who doesn’t actually have a 9 incher, and a supermodel wife...

Chris Meck 05-02-2022 09:03 PM

The injury situation is absolutely frightening. Talent? Yeah but I don't really want to watch a kid go paraplegic on the field.

BryanBusby 05-02-2022 09:06 PM

Quote:

That goes for nearly any player. No way he's seeing a field without passing an extensive amount of tests.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 05-02-2022 09:10 PM

Did everyone just go full reerun? The chiefs have the best medical staff in the league. Rick Burkholder knows what he is doing. No way would they sign off if he wasn’t healthy

TambaBerry 05-02-2022 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 16279512)
That goes for nearly any player. No way he's seeing a field without passing an extensive amount of tests.

Different for him way more risk

Archie Bunker 05-02-2022 09:16 PM

Should be easy to redshirt him a year if need be, happy he’s getting his chance and especially happy it’s with us.

Bump 05-02-2022 09:26 PM

if he can stay healthy you'd think his odds of making the roster would be solid

ForeverIowan 05-02-2022 09:34 PM

Give him a year to recover. If this dude has a chance to get back to 100% healthy paired with Skyy Moore for the foreseeable future...gosh damn!

BigRedChief 05-02-2022 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 16279511)
The injury situation is absolutely frightening. Talent? Yeah but I don't really want to watch a kid go paraplegic on the field.

I get that. I saw my football savior run a QB sneak and his knee was on the other side of his leg. 70+ years and no one has ever been injured on that play.

Every single play in the NFL could possibly lead to that outcome. A head has this angle and another body collides, but it’s his decision, not ours.

kccrow 05-02-2022 09:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 16279511)

I don't want to watch that either but I think you have to consider what he wants. Most people in his situation might just hang them up and not take the risk. He's out there begging for his shot. If he wants it and he's willing to take the risk, let him. The flip side he has to realize is that, by giving him that shot, nobody is going to feel bad for him if things go bad.

Titty Meat 05-02-2022 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 16279397)
Hot Take: If Ross is healthy, he will have better career than Skyy Moore

No he won't

Easy 6 05-02-2022 10:07 PM

Hit or miss, the only sure thing is that Veach swung for the fences yet again here... and thats all anyone can ask

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pros-cons...191153556.html

ThyKingdomCome15 05-03-2022 02:44 AM

Our new Josh Gordon.