ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Trimming the cord, not ready to cut it? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=335424)

DaneMcCloud 12-04-2020 02:56 PM

I've been paying $4.99 a month for Cloud DVR services through my Spectrum Choice plan but with Ad-Free Hulu, Netflix, Amazon and the ability to log into the NBC, ABC and Fox apps, I thinking of dumping it, mainly because we can watch everything the following day on one of those services in most cases, Live. I have Game Pass so I don't really need a DVR for Chiefs games or the NFL in general. Plus, the NFL Network replays all of the best games during the following week.

It's only taken me a year but I'm finally getting into Hulu and I'm really digging it, not only because it's Ad Free but also because the streaming quality is much higher than the NBC or ABC apps. We watched the Minion Holiday Special Live and it was chopping and uneven but when we watched it the next day on Hulu, the stream looked amazing.

Hulu currently has a special on the ad supported version for only $1.99 for 12 months, which is a steal, IMO.

htismaqe 12-04-2020 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15370815)
I've been paying $4.99 a month for Cloud DVR services through my Spectrum Choice plan but with Ad-Free Hulu, Netflix, Amazon and the ability to log into the NBC, ABC and Fox apps, I thinking of dumping it, mainly because we can watch everything the following day on one of those services in most cases, Live. I have Game Pass so I don't really need a DVR for Chiefs games or the NFL in general. Plus, the NFL Network replays all of the best games during the following week.

It's only taken me a year but I'm finally getting into Hulu and I'm really digging it, not only because it's Ad Free but also because the streaming quality is much higher than the NBC or ABC apps. We watched the Minion Holiday Special Live and it was chopping and uneven but when we watched it the next day on Hulu, the stream looked amazing.

Hulu currently has a special on the ad supported version for only $1.99 for 12 months, which is a steal, IMO.

Hulu has, in the last year, become our favorite and most-used streaming service. It's a great deal and with the ESPN/Disney bundle, even more value.

HemiEd 12-06-2020 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 15369830)
If you do go with a FireTV device, I highly recommend getting this cheap adapter that allows for ethernet and multiple USB devices: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LLUEJXW/?tag=aftvn-20

The FireTV performs much better on ethernet if available. If there's any way to run ethernet cable to your main device, it's absolutely worth it. But if not, make sure you have a good wifi router and one of the later generation FireTV devices, and it should be fine.

The reason you want extra USB ports is that allows you to use wireless keyboard/mouse or add external storage.

Note: The referenced adapter does not work with the Gen1 FireTV Stick. You likely won't find one of those really old devices, but I thought I should mention.

Well we have the firestick recast installed. Love it, thanks again for all the help.

HemiEd 12-06-2020 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 15369830)
If you do go with a FireTV device, I highly recommend getting this cheap adapter that allows for ethernet and multiple USB devices: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LLUEJXW/?tag=aftvn-20

The FireTV performs much better on ethernet if available. If there's any way to run ethernet cable to your main device, it's absolutely worth it. But if not, make sure you have a good wifi router and one of the later generation FireTV devices, and it should be fine.

The reason you want extra USB ports is that allows you to use wireless keyboard/mouse or add external storage.

Note: The referenced adapter does not work with the Gen1 FireTV Stick. You likely won't find one of those really old devices, but I thought I should mention.

Well we have the firestick recast installed. Love it, thanks again for all the help.

I am ready to kick the Dish to the curb, but I think it is going to take a little more to convince the Mrs.

BWillie 12-06-2020 01:19 PM

Locast

htismaqe 12-07-2020 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 15373623)

I am ready to kick the Dish to the curb, but I think it is going to take a little more to convince the Mrs.

Get her hooked on streaming. Once she realizes she can sit and watch an entire season of something in a few hours, she'll forget about Dish.

HemiEd 12-07-2020 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15378477)
Get her hooked on streaming. Once she realizes she can sit and watch an entire season of something in a few hours, she'll forget about Dish.

Good idea. However, our internet speed is less than desirable at times living out here 10 miles from the nearest vending machine.

I just tested the speed and it came back 18 and 1, much better than some of the time.

Last night I ended up putting a 75ohm AB switch on the antenna feed so I could switch the game over to watch the tv straight off the antenna.

lcarus 12-07-2020 09:00 AM

My desktop computer has an HDMI port on the graphics card. I've just had it hooked up to my 60 inch tv for the past 7 years. It's the way to go. Haven't missed cable at all.