ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Star Wars: The Mandalorian (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=317951)

Hammock Parties 12-19-2020 02:42 PM

https://i.imgur.com/kxE4DQB.jpg

DaneMcCloud 12-19-2020 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 15407805)
It is literally a lightsaber unless they’re changing the backstory.

There was a Mandalorian Jedi (Viszla) who made jt and then passed it down through his family. He left the Jedi at some point to rule Mandalore.

Yep, it's the same backstory that began in the The Clone Wars animated series, which was why it was SO COOL when Moff Gideon was shown wielding it after Din Djarin blew up his Tie Fighter in the Season 1 finale.

While I will continue to enjoy Chapter 8 time and time again (I've already watched it 5 times so far), I am really stoked to see where the story takes us in Season 3 because one aspect of the finale that's been greatly overshadowed by Luke's amazing appearance is that as of right now, Din Djarin is in possession of the Darksaber, which by legend makes him the rightful heir to the throne of Mandalore.

Hammock Parties 12-19-2020 02:55 PM

Did anyone get "bad guy" vibes from Boba Fett?

He did his job. He has no loyalty to anyone.

I have a feeling his motives are going to be more self-serving going forward.

Frazod 12-19-2020 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15407834)
Yep, it's the same backstory that began in the The Clone Wars animated series, which was why it was SO COOL when Moff Gideon was shown wielding it after Din Djarin blew up his Tie Fighter in the Season 1 finale.

While I will continue to enjoy Chapter 8 time and time again (I've already watched it 5 times so far), I am really stoked to see where the story takes us in Season 3 because one aspect of the finale that's been greatly overshadowed by Luke's amazing appearance is that as of right now, Din Djarin is in possession of the Darksaber, which by legend makes him the rightful heir to the throne of Mandalore.

I definitely see Bo-Katan turning on him. She'll just say "this is the way." :D

DaneMcCloud 12-19-2020 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 15407508)
So, fellow Star Wars EU "Legends" nerds...

What "legends" EU characters do we hope get introduced?

Let's list some notable ones:

Mara Jade - As a Zahn creation, she starts from a strong place. Her later story arcs and partnership with Luke obviously would need to be changed, but the core character is interesting and, if cast well, could be really dynamic and fun (you just have to take her end story in a different direction).

Gilad Pellaeon - Sticking with the Thrawn theme, he was someone that really made the Empire more interesting and deep for me in the EU. Also noticeably BA in his own right after years of work and training with Thrawn.

Quinlan Vos - One of the cooler End-of-the-Republic Jedi, he's technically in-canon already. He's complex and nuanced and would fit well in something set between the rise of the Empire and the original trilogy, and his psychometry ability could offer the opportunity for some really interesting narratives.

Corran Horn - You could have a lot of fun with a Force-using fighter pilot and fit him into a LOT of stories.

I really liked I, Jedi and the character of Corran Horn. I haven't read the novel since around 2000 or so but I always that he had a cool backstory, being from Corellia and all, and he seemed like the kind of character in which a movie or series could be created around.

One of my favorite characters in the EU was Jorg Car'Das, who appeared in the original Thrawn Trilogy and the Thrawn duology. He was a seasoned veteran of the Star Wars galaxy that had been everything from a smuggler to a legit businessman. He had dealings with everyone from the Jedi to criminal organizations to a group of strange Force beings that helped save his life. Lando visited him for guidance and information a few times and I always thought it would be cool to see a series based on his adventures, or at least to see him on film.

I would think that if they're going the Thrawn route, they'd have to include Pellaeon, as he was Thrawn's right hand man. It would be awesome to see Mara Jade as well and I suppose that technically, she could be a part of the Star Wars galaxy without contradicting the shitty Sequel Trilogy but it would be difficult to explain the absence of their Jedi son, Ben Skywalker. But since they've retconned Thrawn's origin story, they could do the same with Mara Jade.

DaneMcCloud 12-19-2020 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 15407841)

I didn't get "bad guy" vibes but I definitely got the "I have loyalty to no one but myself" vibe, which is absolutely perfect for the character.

I'm super stoked to see where the series takes him and Shand.

Hammock Parties 12-19-2020 03:04 PM

Mara Jade needs to be a thing.

Her backstory with the Emperor is very cool.

Plus Luke needs to get laid. Hours and hours of Star Wars and Luke Skywalker is a virgin.

DaneMcCloud 12-19-2020 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15407842)

I completely agree.

I think I've already mentioned this but it's quite possible that under Favreau and Filoni's guidance, the Star Wars galaxy, with all of these new TV series, is setting itself up with a major confrontation with the "Big Baddie", who in this case is none other than Grand Admiral Thrawn.

Marvel had 20 movies leading up to their confrontation with Thanos in Infinity Wars. The first of those movies were individual films, with Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America and Thor, which fed into the first Avengers film. Then, they began adding more characters in the Marvel universe and more individual movies until it all came to a head against Thanos.

Star Wars has 10 TV series, many of which appear to be set after Return of the Jedi, with Ahsoka, The Rangers of the New Republic, The Mandalorian, The Book of Boba Fett and so on. We know that Thrawn is out there, somewhere, and we know that the New Republic knows that there's something going on in the Outer Rim, which parallels the original Thrawn trilogy.

It just seems to make sense to follow that model on TV, then have a few feature films, like Infinity Wars and Endgame, to close out that chapter of the Star Wars Galaxy. And much like The Infinity Series, Star Wars could take a decade to resolve everything, which I'm sure would provide some amazing storytelling.

Tribal Warfare 12-19-2020 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15407850)
I didn't get "bad guy" vibes but I definitely got the "I have loyalty to no one but myself" vibe, which is absolutely perfect for the character.

I'm super stoked to see where the series takes him and Shand.

Essentially, He stated he was an opportunist

Tribal Warfare 12-19-2020 05:10 PM

Spoiler!

Hammock Parties 12-19-2020 05:19 PM

I'm definitely rooting for Boba to be a dick in the next season, or his own series, whatever.

:D

Tribal Warfare 12-19-2020 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 15408186)
Ummm. She is 38.

She's 57 years old per Google search

Valiant 12-19-2020 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 15408189)
She's 57 years old per Google search

I just read Gina and thought you were talking about her.

RINGLEADER 12-19-2020 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 15407841)

I’m hoping he’s a bad guy in the same way Scorsese mobsters are “bad guys.”

BigRedChief 12-19-2020 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15407834)

Assuming Din doesnt change his mind. Why cant Din throw the light saber to Moff, he powers it up, Bo shoots him in the face. She's the rightful heir now. Or they just all agree to just make up the story and say Bo defeated him?

DaneMcCloud 12-19-2020 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 15408248)
Why cant Din throw the light saber to Moff, he powers it up, Bo shoots him in the face. She's the rightful heir now.

I don't know. I find the part about "winning" the Darksaber to be odd, especially considering that Sabine Wren handed it to Bo-Katan in Star Wars Rebels.

As for Moff Gideon, he was supposedly tried and executed for War Crimes against the Republic and now, Cara Dune wants him tried in front of the New Republic.

But does anyone believe that he won't escape death again?

BigRedChief 12-19-2020 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 15407981)
Essentially, He stated he was an opportunist

Hes not going to be the new Jabba the hut without doing some bad shit to people just because he makes more money.

But, thats who he is, he's not turned to the dark side or some story arc BS change for change sake. Every time hes shown up in the movies, until the Mando series was doing something bad to others and selfishly good for him.

Buehler445 12-19-2020 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15407842)

Just like “God Wills It” in Kingdom of Heaven.

Yell some bad idea

GOD WILLS IT

CHEERING

ROFL

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15408259)
I don't know. I find the part about "winning" the Darksaber to be odd, especially considering that Sabine Wren handed it to Bo-Katan in Star Wars Rebels.

As for Moff Gideon, he was supposedly tried and executed for War Crimes against the Republic and now, Cara Dune wants him tried in front of the New Republic.

But does anyone believe that he won't escape death again?

I forgot about Sabine giving her the dark saber. That will be interesting.

Espinito is signed on for several more appearances.

Tribal Warfare 12-19-2020 07:42 PM

Spoiler!

el borracho 12-19-2020 08:12 PM

Soooo.... what is Moff Gideon doing with Grogu's blood?

DaneMcCloud 12-19-2020 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 15408403)

The Empire is attempting to create a Force-Sensitive clone

Buehler445 12-19-2020 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 15408403)

Cloning experiments. Probably at some point palpatine.

Hammock Parties 12-19-2020 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 15408415)
Probably at some point palpatine.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/STfLO...ciZv/giphy.gif

Hammock Parties 12-19-2020 08:40 PM

Boom!

<div style="width: 80%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/g3us0u" frameborder="0" width="80%" height="80%" allowfullscreen style="width: 80%; height: 80%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

SAGA45 12-19-2020 09:05 PM

The dark saber heating the Beskar is an underrated highlight of this episode. That Mando/Gideon duel was awesome!

Tribal Warfare 12-19-2020 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 15408415)
Cloning experiments. Probably at some point palpatine.

Bringing "Order for the future"

Buehler445 12-19-2020 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAGA45 (Post 15408508)
The dark saber heating the Beskar is an underrated highlight of this episode. That Mando/Gideon duel was awesome!

To be fair if it got that hot it would warp, like that’s literally how you bend metal. But I get it.

When he kicked it to whip it around and crack Gideon in the dome was ****ing awesome. That gets my vote for best part of that fight.

DaneMcCloud 12-19-2020 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 15408448)

LMAO

DaneMcCloud 12-19-2020 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 15408559)
Bringing "Order for the future"

It *seems* as if they're following the original EU in which Thrawn returns from the Unknown Regions to reorganize the Empire.

He had a cloned Jedi named Joruus C'baoth, who, due to the cloning process, was no longer a Jedi but a "Dark Jedi". He wasn't a Sith but he was evil and "guided" the Empire through The Force, just like Sidious.

It took Luke, Leia, Han, Lando and a cast of others over the course of three novels to finally defeat Thrawn and "new" Empire.

The series also introduced Mara Jade, among other notable EU characters.

BigRedChief 12-19-2020 10:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spoiler!

DJJasonp 12-19-2020 11:32 PM

that............was................AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

First time I've yelled/cheered in a movie since Empire or ROTJ!!!!!!!!

Wow - Favreau and team "gets it".......they gave us everything we should have had in the last 6 films.

I'm going to bed happier than I have been in a long, long time!!!

arrowheadnation 12-20-2020 12:14 AM

So now that I've come down from the excitement, there is a pretty big plot hole that will need explaining that I'm surprised got past Filoni. Maybe they tried to keep things so secret that Favreau didn't even let Filoni see the finale script but...
Spoiler!

Sure-Oz 12-20-2020 12:25 AM

Loved loved loved it! I'm so glad it was Hamil. I dgaf if he had to be deaged. It wouldn't have been the same with sebastian stan. Mark Hamill is Luke Skywalker. It was just jaw dropping.

So happy. I assume this is the only time we see Luke?

keg in kc 12-20-2020 12:36 AM

There's no way Filoni was not involved in the finale.
Spoiler!

keg in kc 12-20-2020 12:43 AM

Spoiler!

arrowheadnation 12-20-2020 01:53 AM

Spoiler!

Tribal Warfare 12-20-2020 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowheadnation (Post 15408877)
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

listopencil 12-20-2020 03:52 AM

An interesting video came up on my Youtube feed about the visual effects that they use for the show. I don't know if it has been shared in this thread already but I'm going to embed it here:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ufp8weYYDE8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

duncan_idaho 12-20-2020 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15408615)
It *seems* as if they're following the original EU in which Thrawn returns from the Unknown Regions to reorganize the Empire.

He had a cloned Jedi named Joruus C'baoth, who, due to the cloning process, was no longer a Jedi but a "Dark Jedi". He wasn't a Sith but he was evil and "guided" the Empire through The Force, just like Sidious.

It took Luke, Leia, Han, Lando and a cast of others over the course of three novels to finally defeat Thrawn and "new" Empire.

I hope they go this route. It's also possible, I think, that this is part of how Snoke clones started getting created. That would have to be carefully done to avoid being infected by the stench of the new trilogy.

Side note rant:

How much more imposing and scary is the First Order IF that trilogy of movies is built around a returned empire under the command of super genious Thrawn, with his cloned Dark Jedi sidekick who has managed to corrupt the Skywalker blood heir?

(Tries to control his rage at not having a cohesive plan before beginning a trilogy and letting directors have too much creative control over said trilogy, which led to it being a jumbled mess).

That said, I do see a possible path to introducing Thrawn, associating him with the rise of the First Order, and then tying off that story arc with him gone and the First Order still a threat that is moving forward with less-capable leaders.

It can be done well. I would trust Filoni and Favreau to have a good overall plan as long as Kathleen Kennedy isn't allowed to sprinkle her BS on it.

Tribal Warfare 12-20-2020 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15408615)

It's awesome that the creative team are taking the best elements of the EU like the " Lothal's "Jedi Temple temporal displacement" catacomb retcon could occur then it could further into metaphysical Force butterfly effect due to existing in the same time stream as your counterpart which automatically resets events like revealing that Din was the one who saved Grogu. You can redue Eps 1-3 leave the original alone and deviant from JJ and TJ's bullshit bu explaining how the Force left the Skywalker era alone and created a new sequence of events were caused due to the Force being dormant then quakes to alter the new trilogy.

Molitoth 12-20-2020 10:02 AM

Quote:

But the actual in-the-flesh actor was Max Llyod-Jones. Let us introduce you.

Although the London-born thespian isn’t a household name, he has a pretty solid resume, including “Adventures in Baby-Sitting,” “The Sandlot,”
I cannot find his role in "The Sandlot" on IMDB.
Did he change his name or something?

mr. tegu 12-20-2020 11:06 AM

The dark troopers remind me of of the robots in Reel Steel.

DaneMcCloud 12-20-2020 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 15409184)
The dark troopers remind me of of the robots in Reel Steel.

1995, 1998, 2020. Phase 1, II & III of the Dark Trooper program.

https://www.banthaskull.com/images/T...phase_i_18.jpg

Hammock Parties 12-20-2020 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15409585)
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy shit, YES!!!!!!

Link please!

You manage to break the thread? :LOL:

https://streamable.com/g3us0u

DaneMcCloud 12-20-2020 03:21 PM

I broke the thread quoting. I sent an PM to the Mods.

listopencil 12-20-2020 06:28 PM

Imma gonna share another one, a mash-up:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xTUl00hn_zE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

listopencil 12-20-2020 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15409752)
I broke the thread quoting. I sent an PM to the Mods.

I reported the post with a 'help' message. Hope that does it.

Tribal Warfare 12-20-2020 09:12 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Lucasfilm confirms there are only 50 years between the end of The High Republic era and &#39;The Phantom Menace&#39; <br><br>(via Star Wars Weibo) <a href="https://t.co/QQ8bIodVjr">pic.twitter.com/QQ8bIodVjr</a></p>&mdash; Star Wars Facts &amp; News (@SWTweets) <a href="https://twitter.com/SWTweets/status/1340462979553247232?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 20, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

listopencil 12-20-2020 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 15413303)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Lucasfilm confirms there are only 50 years between the end of The High Republic era and &#39;The Phantom Menace&#39; <br><br>(via Star Wars Weibo) <a href="https://t.co/QQ8bIodVjr">pic.twitter.com/QQ8bIodVjr</a></p>&mdash; Star Wars Facts &amp; News (@SWTweets) <a href="https://twitter.com/SWTweets/status/1340462979553247232?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 20, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That's the end of the 'High Republic' though, right? So they could start the show anywhere along the life of the republic and go from there. It would be cool to have an anthology kind of show with some characters being very long lived and others not so much. It would open up a lot of fun possibilities if the people running the show are creative and talented. I am imagining a huge sci-fi saga crossing multiple generations.

Hammock Parties 12-20-2020 10:20 PM

High Republic needs to end with Darth Plagueis meeting young Palpatine.

That would seem to fit with Palpatine being in his mid 60s during the Phantom Menace...no?

DaneMcCloud 12-20-2020 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 15413497)
High Republic needs to end with Darth Plagueis meeting young Palpatine.

That would seem to fit with Palpatine being in his mid 60s during the Phantom Menace...no?

I agree 100%.

It sounds as if they're marking the end of the High Republic on or as the day that Palpatine was born.

DaneMcCloud 12-20-2020 10:47 PM

What would be really cool if they were to move forward with movies and TV series from the High Republic would be if on the final episode, we see Darth Plagueis creating Palpatine from the Midiclorians, then showing his birth.

Hammock Parties 12-20-2020 10:53 PM

They can go anywhere with this.

It's a good opportunity to explain Palpatine's origins and Anakin's.

There could be a nice "epilogue" with Palpatine killing Plagueis.

Tribal Warfare 12-20-2020 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15413536)
What would be really cool if they were to move forward with movies and TV series from the High Republic would be if on the final episode, we see Darth Plagueis creating Palpatine from the Midiclorians, then showing his birth.

They also include the Whills the Arch Angels of the Force that Lucas was initially going to include if he had written the new trilogy

DaneMcCloud 12-20-2020 11:02 PM

Now, what I really want to know, is how Palpatine was able to clone himself and retain his Force powers with zero loss.

I guess that’s what The Mandalorian is really about.

Hammock Parties 12-20-2020 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15413563)
Now, what I really want to know, is how Palpatine was able to clone himself and retain his Force powers with zero loss.

I guess that’s what The Mandalorian is really about.

I feel like this is a huge troll post.

DaneMcCloud 12-20-2020 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 15413567)
I feel like this is a huge troll post.

No, really. I think that ultimately, we’re going to see this cloning of Force powers in real time.

And how was he able to have a cloned “son” that was able to pass on Force powers to Rey while apparently having no connection to The Force?

Hammock Parties 12-20-2020 11:32 PM

Best answer is ignore JJs garbage.

DaneMcCloud 12-20-2020 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 15413625)
Best answer is ignore JJs garbage.

Well, if they’re going down the Heir To The Empire road, we’ll see Dark Jedi Joruus C’boath.

arrowheadnation 12-21-2020 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15413577)
No, really. I think that ultimately, we’re going to see this cloning of Force powers in real time.

And how was he able to have a cloned “son” that was able to pass on Force powers to Rey while apparently having no connection to The Force?

Maybe his son wasn't cloned. Maybe we'll get to see footage of Sheev and a lady friend frolicking on a grassy hill a la Anakin and Padme.

listopencil 12-21-2020 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowheadnation (Post 15413668)
Maybe his son wasn't cloned. Maybe we'll get to see footage of Sheev and a lady friend frolicking on a grassy hill a la Anakin and Padme.

Oh. Yay. I don't like sand.

Hammock Parties 12-21-2020 08:16 AM

love this font work

https://scontent.fmkc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...11&oe=60056A07

Hammock Parties 12-21-2020 11:09 AM

LMAO

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-E0h6Pu6t5s" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DaneMcCloud 12-21-2020 11:32 AM

It's officially Official!

From starwars.com

------------

https://www.starwars.com/news/the-book-of-boba-fett

THE BOOK OF BOBA FETT, A NEW SERIES, COMING DECEMBER 2021 ON DISNEY+. THE LEGEND WILL RETURN NEXT YEAR.

Boba Fett is back. And his story is just beginning.

As teased in a surprise end-credit sequence following the season finale of The Mandalorian, the legendary bounty hunter’s journey will continue in The Book of Boba Fett. Jon Favreau, executive producer of The Mandalorian, confirmed today on Good Morning America that the new series is currently in production and will arrive December 2021, only on Disney+.

The Book of Boba Fett will be set within the timeline of The Mandalorian and star Temuera Morrison as the titular bounty hunter, along with Ming-Na Wen as Fennec Shand. Robert Rodriguez — who directed Chapter 14 of The Mandalorian, a thrilling installment that reintroduced Boba Fett to the Star Wars galaxy — joins Favreau and Dave Filoni as executive producer.

Boba Fett made his big-screen debut in 1980’s Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, becoming an instant fan favorite thanks to his visually arresting armor and cool demeanor. Jeremy Bulloch, the original actor inside the armor, passed away last week — but his legacy, including all he brought to Boba Fett, goes on. The Book of Boba Fett will carry that legacy forward.

Season 3 of The Mandalorian will go into production next year.

Hammock Parties 12-21-2020 11:59 AM

how does Lucasfilm manage to **** this up?

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wrHXA2cSpNU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DaneMcCloud 12-21-2020 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 15413729)
Oh. Yay. I don't like sand.

LMAO

ScareCrowe 12-21-2020 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 15408828)
There's no way Filoni was not involved in the finale.
Spoiler!

They could actually use that to tie it all together, say that The Children of the Watch (the group Din & the armorer are a part of) started as a result or her not following the old ways when she accepted the dark saber, and that splintered Mandalore & allowed the Empire to destroy them. Having learned from that experience she now knows the only way to unite Mandalore is to properly attain the Saber in combat.

DaneMcCloud 12-21-2020 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScareCrowe (Post 15414537)
They could actually use that to tie it all together, say that The Children of the Watch (the group Din & the armorer are a part of) started as a result or her not following the old ways when she accepted the dark saber, and that splintered Mandalore & allowed the Empire to destroy them. Having learned from that experience she now knows the only way to unite Mandalore is to properly attain the Saber in combat.

It's almost as if Mandalorians are treating the Dark Saber like the sword of Arthurian legend.

Hammock Parties 12-21-2020 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15414644)
It's almost as if Mandalorians are treating the Dark Saber like the sword of Arthurian legend.

I like the way this is going.

Din Djarin as King Arthur and Luke as Merlin.

Mandalore as Camelot.

The Darksaber as Excalibur.

Grogu as the Holy Grail.

Mephistopheles Janx 12-21-2020 02:50 PM

https://i.imgur.com/nXk9E53.jpg

Bowser 12-21-2020 03:00 PM

^ Lol. As it should be.

Frazod 12-21-2020 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 15414389)
how does Lucasfilm manage to **** this up?

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wrHXA2cSpNU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jesus. LMAO

You'd think Disney would just reach out to the Deepfake guys and hire them instead of being clowned.

DaneMcCloud 12-21-2020 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15414845)
Jesus. LMAO

You'd think Disney would just reach out to the Deepfake guys and hire them instead of being clowned.

What am I missing here?

I've watched this a couple of times on a new 27" LED monitor and the only difference I've been able to spot is some really mild color-correction.

Frazod 12-21-2020 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15415384)
What am I missing here?

I've watched this a couple of times on a new 27" LED monitor and the only difference I've been able to spot is some really mild color-correction.

There's a clear difference. When you look at the side-by-side comparison, the images on the left are blurry and while well done, obviously CGI. The images on the right look like Mark Hamill stepped out of a ****ing time machine from 1983. The eyes are particularly lifelike.

Hammock Parties 12-21-2020 07:23 PM

You can really see the difference here. Deepfake nose looks better too.

https://i.imgur.com/i44xWsg.jpg

Disney needs to start applying a simple deepfake pass to all their CGI creations. The Tarkin and Leia deepfakes look way better, too.

underEJ 12-21-2020 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15415384)
What am I missing here?

The depth of details on the face are much better on the new one. You can look closely at his mole or dimple to see that, but even his nose shape flattens a bit in the original. The color correction done likely by the final colorist to dampen highlights seems to have exacerbated it too.

The "improvement" has studio bright highlights and reflections in the eyes and that doesn't fit with the overall lighting of the scene so it stands out if you were watching more than a clip but it isn't horrible. It is made a bit worse because there is not enough lighting change when the head moves so the shadows don't have any temporal shift from frame to frame. The new version also broke the lip sync.

Overall, I'd say it is a wash, but the improved version definitely has a more appealing look with the brighter highlights even though that was not the intent of the scene. And there is no question the lack of depth of detail is the biggest problem with the original.

Frazod 12-21-2020 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 15415467)
You can really see the difference here. Deepfake nose looks better too.

https://i.imgur.com/i44xWsg.jpg

Disney needs to start applying a simple deepfake pass to all their CGI creations. The Tarkin and Leia deepfakes look way better, too.

Have you seen the Solo Deepfake where they put young Harrison Ford's face over the new guy? Those were amazing as well.

listopencil 12-21-2020 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15414845)
Jesus. LMAO

To be fair this is all they (Deep Fake) do and they have gotten really, really good at it. I would think that the Mandalorian team kept Luke's appearance as hush hush as possible so it's reasonable that they wouldn't bring in outside talent.

DaneMcCloud 12-21-2020 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underEJ (Post 15415468)
The depth of details on the face are much better on the new one. You can look closely at his mole or dimple to see that, but even his nose shape flattens a bit in the original. The color correction done likely by the final colorist to dampen highlights seems to have exacerbated it too.

The "improvement" has studio bright highlights and reflections in the eyes and that doesn't fit with the overall lighting of the scene so it stands out if you were watching more than a clip but it isn't horrible. It is made a bit worse because there is not enough lighting change when the head moves so the shadows don't have any temporal shift from frame to frame. The new version also broke the lip sync.

Overall, I'd say it is a wash, but the improved version definitely has a more appealing look with the brighter highlights even though that was not the intent of the scene. And there is no question the lack of depth of detail is the biggest problem with the original.

Thank you! I definitely noticed the lip sync issue, as I'm ridiculously attuned to that kind of sync and saw some of the color correction. I also noticed, even on my "best" TV, that the details around the face were a bit "smeared" but I figured that was done on purpose because more detail would have probably made it look even more like VFX.

That said, I don't think these new HP monitors provide that level of detail in order to see some of the other things mentioned. But I will say that the TCL 5 series 50" OLED TV I purchased recently is 10x clearer than the 75" 4 series I purchased just last year.

In "The Jedi", there's a scene with Din Djarin and Ahsoka speaking by the campfire, in which I can clearly see fingerprints on the Mandalorian helmet!

That's a little too much detail, IMO, and must be a nightmare on set.

Thanks again!

DaneMcCloud 12-21-2020 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 15415945)
To be fair this is all they (Deep Fake) do and they have gotten really, really good at it. I would think that the Mandalorian team kept Luke's appearance as hush hush as possible so it's reasonable that they wouldn't bring in outside talent.

Everyone has to sign an NDA to work on projects like these so it's really all about the budget and the time involved. Although, I will say that due to COVID, there have been very few leaks about, well, anything Disney and Marvel related and that's because no one with half a brain would email or text "Inside Info" and leaks.

Those are best left to face-to-face meetings so there's no electronic trail. That's the reason why I've had so little info this year because I haven't really been allowed to see anyone, outside of those in my household. I mean, I knew about the 10 new Star Wars TV series and a few other things but I was given very little detail.

Speaking of NDA's, I had to sign an NDA in August just to see who I'd potentially be working with and for! That's the level of secrecy these days in Hollywood. You'd think I was being passed national secrets!