ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals *** Official 2018-2019 Royals Offseason Repository *** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=318529)

'Hamas' Jenkins 12-10-2018 10:35 AM

That's a good signing if you're on the brink of playoff contention and need a replacement for Terrance Gore ;)

Also, to continue an earlier discussion, I have a question for you all:

Who is a player that is currently in the HOF, is widely accepted by the general public/baseball literati as a HOFer, but you don't think belongs in the Hall?

I'll start with Tom Glavine. Without 4-6 extra inches on the outside of the plate he was just a junkballer with longevity.

siberian khatru 12-10-2018 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13949388)
That's a good signing if you're on the brink of playoff contention and need a replacement for Terrance Gore ;)

Who is a player that is currently in the HOF, is widely accepted by the general public/baseball literati as a HOFer, but you don't think belongs in the Hall?

I'll start with Tom Glavine. Without 4-6 extra inches on the outside of the plate he was just a junkballer with longevity.

Jack Morris

Demonpenz 12-10-2018 10:44 AM

Looking at the list of HOF. Pucket and Barry Larkin stick out.

Jerm 12-10-2018 10:47 AM

Quote:

Of "modern" players, Bruce Sutter or Bill Mazeroski

I think you could make the legit argument against Ozzie Smith too...albeit not a popular opinion lol.

OKchiefs 12-10-2018 10:47 AM

If the Royals have any faith at all that Lopez can be the future at 2B, I think they're pretty much set with enough options at almost every position to consider a Merrifield trade if they can get a decent return.

CaliforniaChief 12-10-2018 10:48 AM

Joey Gathright v2.0

Demonpenz 12-10-2018 10:50 AM

Joey Gathright was Tom Goodwin 2.0

'Hamas' Jenkins 12-10-2018 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 13949417)
Of "modern" players, Bruce Sutter or Bill Mazeroski

I think you could make the legit argument against Ozzie Smith too...albeit not a popular opinion lol.

If you throw Smith out, you're gonna need to get rid of Larkin, Yount, Trammell, and Ernie Banks, too.

Smith is arguably the greatest defensive player that ever lived. That's a pretty transcendent skill set, especially since he was an above average hitter for a SS at that time.

Jerm 12-10-2018 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13949436)
If you throw Smith out, you're gonna need to get rid of Larkin, Yount, Trammell, and Ernie Banks, too.

Smith is arguably the greatest defensive player that ever lived. That's a pretty transcendent skill set, especially since he was an above average hitter for a SS at that time.

Fair points...I don't know if I'd personally make the case against Ozzie (probably because I really like him lol) but I think someone a lot smarter than me could.

I think Sutter is the real stand out one though.

BigCatDaddy 12-10-2018 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 13949369)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Royals?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Royals</a> close to agreement with OF Billy Hamilton just working through bonuses and pending physical</p>&mdash; Jim Bowden (@JimBowdenGM) <a href="https://twitter.com/JimBowdenGM/status/1072157258929172480?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 10, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That makes 0 sense.

BigCatDaddy 12-10-2018 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKchiefs (Post 13949420)
If the Royals have any faith at all that Lopez can be the future at 2B, I think they're pretty much set with enough options at almost every position to consider a Merrifield trade if they can get a decent return.

This is your 43rd post saying the same thing.

OKchiefs 12-10-2018 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 13949479)
This is your 43rd post saying the same thing.

Not exactly. My point is that signing Owings and Hamilton now gives us enough depth and options that we can make the trade without leaving a huge hole in the roster. We now have options/competition at CF, 2B, and 3B, all the positions that Merrifield could be penciled in at.

Sure-Oz 12-10-2018 11:17 AM

@JonHeyman: KC, Billy Hamilton have agreed on base pay and are finalizing deal with performance bonuses. Expected to be close to 5M total. Royals need speed in center.

Future trade bait

duncan_idaho 12-10-2018 11:24 AM

Quote:

Craig Biggio (has to be in because of 3,000 but meritless otherwse)

Jack Morris (very good, not great)

Bill Mazerowski, Rabbit Maranville, Johnny Evers, Joe Tinker, Frank Chance

BigCatDaddy 12-10-2018 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKchiefs (Post 13949485)
Not exactly. My point is that signing Owings and Hamilton now gives us enough depth and options that we can make the trade without leaving a huge hole in the roster. We now have options/competition at CF, 2B, and 3B, all the positions that Merrifield could be penciled in at.

Yes. Those guys obviously are the same as Merrifield.