ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV *The NEW Movies Thread* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280244)

Rausch 09-18-2014 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10925142)
Eh. Still has some logic issues. For example, if they used the face transforming thing Natasha was wearing at the end, the whole movie would have been over in 5 minutes.

That, and you're not storing any kind of artificial intelligence in a bunch of reel to reel computers...not a chance...

thabear04 09-19-2014 12:11 AM

Just seen Million Dollar Arm good movie.

-King- 09-21-2014 01:26 AM

Just finished Purge Anarchy and I kind of hate myself for it. Movie is just terrible.

ragedogg69 09-21-2014 12:15 PM

edge of tomorrow. great movie, terrible ending.

Mennonite 09-21-2014 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 10933426)
edge of tomorrow. great movie, terrible ending.

It had some potential, but I was disappointed with it over all.

SPOILERS

I agree with you that the happy ending just didn't feel right. It didn't seem to be thought out very well. Why would he be transported back to that exact point? It just seemed to be a tacked on happy ending that leaves the possibility for a sequel and not something that actually fit the story.

My main issue is, while I like I like the "Groundhog's Day" plot, I don't particularly care for their explanation for why it is happening. If the aliens have the power to hit the reset button on the entire universe, you would think they would have the intelligence to come up with a better plan than the trap they set for Cruise at the dam. Why would you even bother with a military invasion with that kind of power?

ragedogg69 09-21-2014 01:14 PM

Im not even mad about the logic of the film. Its a movie about time traveling aliens. The writing completely falls apart when
Spoiler!

Baby Lee 09-21-2014 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mennonite (Post 10933528)
It had some potential, but I was disappointed with it over all.

SPOILERS

I agree with you that the happy ending just didn't feel right. It didn't seem to be thought out very well. Why would he be transported back to that exact point? It just seemed to be a tacked on happy ending that leaves the possibility for a sequel and not something that actually fit the story.

My main issue is, while I like I like the "Groundhog's Day" plot, I don't particularly care for their explanation for why it is happening. If the aliens have the power to hit the reset button on the entire universe, you would think they would have the intelligence to come up with a better plan than the trap they set for Cruise at the dam. Why would you even bother with a military invasion with that kind of power?

Not complaining, but we have a button/tag specifically for spoilers

Spoiler!

thabear04 09-24-2014 07:42 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pa8U_15D0OE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rausch 09-25-2014 12:03 PM

Resolution: um...yeah. I like the mind-benders but I'm still not sure WTF was going on in this one. I like loved the build up and dialogue between the two main characters but a very WTF ending.

Mirage Men: very interesting. A doc about UFO investigators and a government dis-information agent who admits to to feeding them BS for years.

Unidentified/Absence: two found footage UFO movies so terrible I wouldn't bother watching either. Even if you're waiting in a hospital and it's the only thing on.

Easy 6 09-25-2014 12:26 PM

Watched "Lincoln" yesterday afternoon... exquisitely acted, exacting period detail, great cinematography, and extremely boring.

The Franchise 09-25-2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 10946818)
Watched "Lincoln" yesterday afternoon... exquisitely acted, exacting period detail, great cinematography, and extremely boring.

LMAO Pretty much.

Easy 6 09-25-2014 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10946828)
LMAO Pretty much.

In spite of my best efforts, I honestly dozed off for about 20 minutes.

-King- 09-25-2014 12:32 PM

Quote:

LMAO
Posted via Mobile Device

Easy 6 09-25-2014 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10946836)
LMAO
Posted via Mobile Device

And its really not that I cant get into somber, talky movies devoid of splosions either, I flippin LOVED the Iron Lady, it should've been an hour longer.

But yeah, heh, Lincoln made me saw logs.

Mennonite 09-25-2014 01:11 PM

Did Daniel Day-Lewis do one of his awesome, 100% authentic, period accents? I love those. Especially when no one else in the movie is speaking in a remotely similar fashion.

ragedogg69 09-25-2014 04:16 PM

Quote:

I have a theory that Spielberg has transition into the point of his career where he is no longer making movies for the audience. He makes movies for himself. Some could argue all he makes now is Oscar-bait. His upcoming movie don't exactly sound like blockbusters.

Easy 6 09-25-2014 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mennonite (Post 10946951)
Did Daniel Day-Lewis do one of his awesome, 100% authentic, period accents? I love those. Especially when no one else in the movie is speaking in a remotely similar fashion.

No one, living or dead, could've done Lincoln better IMO... they say Lincoln had a somewhat high pitched voice and DDL did it just right without going overboard on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 10947574)
I have a theory that Spielberg has transition into the point of his career where he is no longer making movies for the audience. He makes movies for himself. Some could argue all he makes now is Oscar-bait. His upcoming movie don't exactly sound like blockbusters.

You're right, he's at the point now that he can do whatever the hell he wants, hits be damned... stuff like Lincoln and War Horse prove it, he has all the money he needs, now its all about personal gratification.

Mennonite 09-25-2014 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 10947574)
I have a theory that Spielberg has transition into the point of his career where he is no longer making movies for the audience.

You are a master of understatement.

http://i.imgur.com/Dx2poyJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/43OwI8z.jpg

NewChief 09-25-2014 07:32 PM

Quote:

You'd think all the vampires would make it exciting.

Easy 6 09-25-2014 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10948174)

On my honor I'd never watch that schlock even for free.

What did you honestly think of Spielbergs "Lincoln"?

Rausch 09-26-2014 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10948174)

That's a great example of a high quality B movie.

I was shocked how respectable it was...I enjoyed it...

The Franchise 09-26-2014 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10949202)
That's a great example of a high quality B movie.

I was shocked how respectable it was...I enjoyed it...

**** that movie. It could have been SO much better than it was.

Mennonite 09-26-2014 10:07 AM

meh. It's no FDR American Badass.

http://i.imgur.com/kLHEaQ2.gif

http://i.imgur.com/3o2XyDK.png

Hammock Parties 09-27-2014 10:15 AM

YOU KILLED MY DOG

PREPARE TO DIE

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2AUmvWm5ZDQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bowser 09-27-2014 04:58 PM

Looks like a fun, mindless shoot 'em up. In.

Also looks like Theon is going to get his junk cut off. Again.

Easy 6 09-27-2014 06:49 PM

Quote:

Having a great deal of respect for not only history, but NewChiefs opinion... I feel I've been shortchanged here... it seems like NewChief wanted to paint me as an idiot bigot, yet when he realized my true take backed off.

So again I ask... what the hell was so entertaining about "Lincoln"?

Did I give the subject matter short shrift due to its basic theme or what? Do you have me figured out or what?... in all honesty I hate to post this but its been bugging me, did you have a gotcha moment that was shortcircuited by a later post of mine or what.

The movie was *****ING. BORING.

If you want to second guess me again atleast send a PM so I can know whats going on, NC.

Hammock Parties 09-27-2014 07:02 PM

It's a movie. You are rather upset over it.

Easy 6 09-27-2014 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Zarth (Post 10953337)
It's a movie. You are rather upset over it.

New Chief judged me without looking into things further, it was implicit in what he said and didnt say.

ragedogg69 09-27-2014 08:33 PM

I do not know what you are talking about. Everyone agreed with you that Lincoln was boring tour de force.

thabear04 09-27-2014 09:37 PM

Anyone seen the new Sin City?

NewChief 09-28-2014 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 10953277)
Having a great deal of respect for not only history, but NewChiefs opinion... I feel I've been shortchanged here... it seems like NewChief wanted to paint me as an idiot bigot, yet when he realized my true take backed off.

So again I ask... what the hell was so entertaining about "Lincoln"?

Did I give the subject matter short shrift due to its basic theme or what? Do you have me figured out or what?... in all honesty I hate to post this but its been bugging me, did you have a gotcha moment that was shortcircuited by a later post of mine or what.

The movie was *****ING. BORING.

If you want to second guess me again atleast send a PM so I can know whats going on, NC.

o:-)

I actually haven't seen Lincoln. I also wasn't trying to make any comment on you or your tastes. I was just trying (and clearly failing) to be funny. I also thought your take on lincoln was humorous.

Rausch 09-28-2014 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thabear04 (Post 10953974)
Anyone seen the new Sin City?

Wait for...wait...what do we call not watching something in the theater now?

Video?

Redbox?

Cheap-ass on demand?

Is there a new consensus term?...

Rausch 09-28-2014 08:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Spoilers:

"Timeline" posted for the Coherence fans...

Easy 6 09-28-2014 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10954326)
o:-)

I actually haven't seen Lincoln. I also wasn't trying to make any comment on you or your tastes. I was just trying (and clearly failing) to be funny. I also thought your take on lincoln was humorous.

Jeeez, I dont know what the hell my problem was last night, other than being drunk that is.

Its all good, NC... disregard that post of mine.

PunkinDrublic 09-29-2014 05:15 PM

Saw the equalizer yesterday. I enjoyed the hell out of it. A lot of you might not like it because it doesn't have any transformers or marvel characters in it.

Deberg_1990 09-29-2014 05:38 PM

All is Lost is on Netflix

Pretty entertaining survivalist flick with Redford stuck on a boat

Minimal dialogue.

SAUTO 09-29-2014 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10958535)
All is Lost is on Netflix

Pretty entertaining survivalist flick with Redford stuck on a boat

Minimal dialogue.

I think I caught that on ppv a while back, guy just couldn't catch a break

Deberg_1990 09-29-2014 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 10958711)
I think I caught that on ppv a while back, guy just couldn't catch a break

yea, movie was intense in spots. I was grabbing my tablet so hard.

ragedogg69 10-05-2014 06:29 PM

Saw the recent X-Men. It did not live up to the hype for me. I hated the ending. They literally wrote themselves into a corner and had it all explained away with a newspaper headline. I cannot wait for the CinemaSins for this one.

-King- 10-05-2014 07:49 PM

Watched 22 Jump Street the other day. It was somewhere between meh and okay. Had its moments but didn't get anywhere close to 21 Jump Street.

shieldsnake 10-07-2014 09:40 PM

Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore movie Blended is worthy watching. I laughed so much with this movie, very funny and great story. They have undeniable chemistry that really sets the tone for the movie. A must see!

Ceej 10-08-2014 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shieldsnake (Post 10993276)
Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore movie Blended is worthy watching. I laughed so much with this movie, very funny and great story. They have undeniable chemistry that really sets the tone for the movie. A must see!

I thought it was good - better than I originally thought but not that good.

ragedogg69 10-08-2014 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shieldsnake (Post 10993276)

this sounds exactly like reviewer desperately trying to get a quote on the DVD box.

"A must see!" -- shieldsnake, ChiefsPlanet

Fire Me Boy! 10-08-2014 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 10994565)
this sounds exactly like reviewer desperately trying to get a quote on the DVD box.

"A must see!" -- shieldsnake, ChiefsPlanet

Have I ever told my near brush with movie quote immortality?

Baby Lee 10-08-2014 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10994761)
Have I ever told my near brush with movie quote immortality?

Does that sound like something you would be interested in?

FYP

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/jBh0SpDoVZw/maxresdefault.jpg

Fire Me Boy! 10-08-2014 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10994771)

ROFL

It's a funny story where the distributor was truncating my original quote and taking it completely out of context. But now you've ruined it, so screw you guys. :harumph:

-King- 10-09-2014 06:52 PM

Finally watched Contact. Thought it was a very good movie even though I'm still trying to figure out what to think about the end. I thought it was kind of anticlimactic and south park and family guy were right about the 2nd machine and the aliens looking like her dad because it would be more comforting plot points being pretty lame.

BigMeatballDave 10-10-2014 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10997907)
Finally watched Contact. Thought it was a very good movie even though I'm still trying to figure out what to think about the end. I thought it was kind of anticlimactic and south park and family guy were right about the 2nd machine and the aliens looking like her dad because it would be more comforting plot points being pretty lame.

They just left it open to interpretation. Love the movie.

I liked what Angela Bassett says to James Woods at the end.

TrickyNicky 10-10-2014 06:47 PM

The Signal - Under the radar sci-fi movie about 3 college kids who encounter something alien in Nevada. At times slightly incoherent in the storytelling, but visually wonderful with a moody electronic soundtrack. Laurence Fishburne is just mesmerizing. Apparently this was released this year but I don't ever recall seeing ads for it. 8/10.

-King- 10-11-2014 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickyNicky (Post 11000498)
The Signal - Under the radar sci-fi movie about 3 college kids who encounter something alien in Nevada. At times slightly incoherent in the storytelling, but visually wonderful with a moody electronic soundtrack. Laurence Fishburne is just mesmerizing. Apparently this was released this year but I don't ever recall seeing ads for it. 8/10.

I've been meaning to watch that. Thanks for the review.

-King- 10-12-2014 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 11004738)
I've been meaning to watch that. Thanks for the review.

Just watched it. I....um... wut?

What a great build up for an even bigger let down. The ended was horrible to say the least.

Coochie liquor 10-12-2014 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 11007387)
Just watched it. I....um... wut?

What a great build up for an even bigger let down. The ended was horrible to say the least.

Yeah I agree. Although I get the ending, it was far from as good as the rest of the movie. Wanted to see it at the movies, but glad I waited for Redbox.

KCUnited 10-12-2014 07:19 AM

I enjoyed Blood Ties. Nothing ground breaking story-wise, but the acting, costumes, and soundtrack were very well done.

ragedogg69 10-12-2014 01:44 PM

I really liked 22 jump street, but I cannot figure out if I liked the movie or just the wink and a nod to the audience that they know its a rebooted franchise getting a sequel.

BigMeatballDave 10-13-2014 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 11008217)
I really liked 22 jump street, but I cannot figure out if I liked the movie or just the wink and a nod to the audience that they know its a rebooted franchise getting a sequel.

I liked 21 a lot. 22 is kinda meh.

Perineum Ripper 10-13-2014 06:10 PM

Has anybody here seen the new movie with Robert Duval and Robert Downey Jr..if so is it worth going and seeing

Baby Lee 10-13-2014 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac459 (Post 11011814)
Has anybody here seen the new movie with Robert Duval and Robert Downey Jr..if so is it worth going and seeing

Haven't seen it, but the reviews have reinforced my estimation of the trailer.

Cookie cutter family/professional drama, or as one review put it, a non-comedy Doc Hollywood for attorneys.

Looks like the Family Guy idea manatees built this one.

noa 10-14-2014 02:03 PM

Just watched Edge of Tomorrow. I thought it was pretty good. It was fun watching Cruise actually have to transform into the hero rather than being the hero character right from the top. Of course, he always saves the day no matter what he's in, but this had a bit more arc. Solid humor and a good job of avoiding repetitious overkill in a movie that could have easily gone that way.
Posted via Mobile Device

underEJ 10-14-2014 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac459 (Post 11011814)

I saw it. Not a must see, but some nice performances in a fairly predictable drama.

ragedogg69 10-14-2014 08:36 PM

The Judge strikes me as a super serious drama. The TV commercial makes it out to be an odd couple dramedy? Which is it?

Rausch 10-15-2014 03:27 AM

Watched "Lost Time" earlier tonight.

Aaaaaaaaand that's exactly what it was. It deserves the Rifftrax treatment...

Sorter 10-15-2014 10:10 AM

Saw Filth with McAvoy last week.

Decent film.

ragedogg69 10-24-2014 03:03 PM

Watched VHS Viral with the wife. Probably the worst of the trilogy, but mindless fun. The VHS series is just an anthology of scary stories thrown together. The first story is the only decent one and could have been it own 80 minute movie.

worth a vod rental.

ragedogg69 10-24-2014 04:47 PM

Let's Be Cops was way better than the 20% on RT gives. Not the best, but I really liked it.

DeepPurple 10-24-2014 04:49 PM

I saw Gone Girl with Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike, seen both of them in many films before and they are the kind of actors that would make me watch a film. This one however had more publicity than any of recent times and the book was a major best seller. I liked it a lot, my wife watches ID and HLN channels all the time, so crime is her favorite topic. You might have to suspend reality a little for the film to work, if anyone remembers the Scott Peterson trial from ten years ago, this is a take-off from that but with a different spin. The ending kind of leaves you hanging, I think I could of wrote something better. If you're a person into thinking films like Blue Jasmine, then go see this film. I wouldn't mind seeing it again but since I know the ending that ruins that aspect. It's directed by David Fincher, if you don't know who he is you should find out. He's directed The Game, Se7en, Fight Club, Panic Room, Benjamin Button, Zodiac, Social Network, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Etc.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...GXNXl7l8SnPGGx

This week I caught Fury with Brad Pitt, also a good supporting cast including Michael Pena, who I've seen a lot in films. The director previously did End of Watch with Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Pena as LA Cops. This is a good war story with a lot of good action and there is good character development along the way. Kind of like the tank film 'Beast', but they do have some time away from the tank. I would highly recommend the film. I gave both movies 9 stars, which is high for me but it seems most films are so disappointing that when a good movie comes along you want to reward it.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...hwGZkXiLD2FDHb

Pepe Silvia 10-28-2014 01:25 PM

I'm here to warn others not to ever make the mistake of watching hostel 3 on Netflix, gosh damn that shit is pure torture porn, I'm still disturbed by the first offing, they went too far. , WHY DID I EVER WATCH IT WHY?

ragedogg69 10-28-2014 02:55 PM

Hell Baby is not a bad way to spend 90 minutes if you are in the mood for a dumb horror comedy... and if you want to see Riki Lindhome gratuitously naked. Seriously good for her, going full frontal and all for the sake of comedy.
http://2292774aeb57f699998f-7c1ee3a3...erson_6555.png

NewChief 10-29-2014 05:54 AM

Watched The Deadly Code last night on Netflix. It was decent. I'm kind of a sucker for all things bratva.

Kind of a weird small film role for John Malkovich.

Great Expectations 10-29-2014 10:10 AM

I finally saw End of Watch on netflix last week. It has great dialog and was shot in a way that I felt a part of the story at times. Very good flick and well worth your time to watch.

Dayze 10-29-2014 11:33 AM

yeah, I watched "End of Watch" on a whim, and enjoyed it.
Good flick.

Bowser 10-29-2014 04:25 PM

They've been replaying "Riddick" lately. I've found I've enjoyed it more as time goes on. I liked it when I first saw it, but felt pretty meh afterwards. Now I enjoy the character interaction of that movie, and I liked the creatures now more than when I first saw it. Also I like how the both built that world up and left it open for Riddick's confrontation with Vaako...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2o4Bwq69bw0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Frosty 10-29-2014 05:57 PM

I caught Ciao! Manhattan recently on TCM. What a weird-ass movie. It's basically Edie Sedgwick playing herself and rambling on in a drug induced haze. It's kind of an interesting look back at the times (late 60's/early '70's) though. It's also kind of sad since Edie died before the film came out.

Edie is topless through almost all of the movie but it isn't erotic or sexy at all. Pretty sad, in fact, to see the ravages of heavy drug use on a beautiful woman..

NewChief 10-29-2014 10:21 PM

Just watched Snow in Tha Bluff on netflix and damn if I didn't love it. Really compelling. Knew nothing about backstory but that makes it even more interesting. Dude is a legit talent.

Baby Lee 10-29-2014 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11070378)
Just watched Snow in Tha Bluff on netflix and damn if I didn't love it. Really compelling. Knew nothing about backstory but that makes it even more interesting. Dude is a legit talent.

Any y'all seen a leprechaun, say yeah!!

Rausch 10-30-2014 07:25 AM

I watched A BAND CALLED DEATH last week.

Damned good documentary. I highly recommend for the music lovers out there...

Hammock Parties 10-30-2014 05:06 PM

Fury was awesome.

It's a movie about
Spoiler!

Cool flick though. Love me some War Porn.

Simply Red 11-02-2014 09:31 AM

I'm fine admitting this on Chiefs Planet -

I think everyone should see the documentary "God is the Bigger Elvis" -- really informative w/ nuns' decisions to join a Catholic 'hot house' and give up their personal 'earthly' desires to pursue God.

It's very touching and if Delores Hart was in my wheel house or rather; lived in Atlanta - I would seek her counsel. What an amazing human. I totally admire her!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1SdAuUupHuk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dayze 11-02-2014 09:40 AM

We watched Neighbors, and Sex Tape this weekend. Both were hilarious.

Ceej 11-02-2014 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 11076367)
We watched Neighbors, and Sex Tape this weekend. Both were hilarious.

Neighbors was great. I'll eventually end up buying it.

Sex Tape was pretty okay though.

Hammock Parties 11-04-2014 11:29 AM

This looks fun.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DAhmCHnNcWs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>