ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports ***Official Bushwood Country Club Lounge*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=184595)

kstater 02-26-2009 05:10 PM

For a golf cart?

Post 952 looks the most appropriate.

j-rob 02-26-2009 05:12 PM

i like the black

smittysbar 02-26-2009 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 5530889)
For a golf cart?

Post 952 looks the most appropriate.

Yeah, can't decide if I like the simple X design.

j-rob 02-26-2009 05:14 PM

if you could see them in person that would make the decision a little easier

j-rob 02-26-2009 05:14 PM

is that place in mexico still in business

Shag 02-26-2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j-rob (Post 5530754)
barkley said he shot a 78 once, that must have been in 9 holes

He used to have a normal swing - the hitch developed somewhat recently...

smittysbar 02-26-2009 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j-rob (Post 5530909)
is that place in mexico still in business

Yeah but they don't have that big of a selection.

kstater 02-28-2009 04:42 PM

Oglevy takes out Cink.

The Casey/Fisher match looks like a couple amateurs out there.

kstater 02-28-2009 04:46 PM

I bet neither Casey or Fisher would break 80 today if they were playing stroke play.

smittysbar 02-28-2009 04:48 PM

Kind of a disappointing tournament, boy that 19 year old is something though. Wonder if anyone has called him "Tin Cup"

kstater 02-28-2009 04:58 PM

It took them a half hour. But double bogey halves 14.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-06-2009 08:36 AM

No golf thread would be complete without this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IYI0bPnvzOY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IYI0bPnvzOY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mr. Plow 03-06-2009 09:08 AM

Question, I'm looking to replace my 3 & 4 irons with some sort of hybrids. I'm looking around online, I'm finding SETS of irons, not individual irons - maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Can anyone direct me to a decent site?

Stinger 03-06-2009 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 5560246)
Question, I'm looking to replace my 3 & 4 irons with some sort of hybrids. I'm looking around online, I'm finding SETS of irons, not individual irons - maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Can anyone direct me to a decent site?

http://www.tgw.com/customer/search2....Hybrid%20Clubs

Mr. Plow 03-06-2009 09:13 AM

A couple other questions....

#1 - What degree's do you want for a long iron? I found a site showing individual clubs and they list 18, 21, 24, & 27.

#2 - Which would be better - steel or graphite? I think steel would be better...but I'm also not that good.

#3 - Regular or stiff? Regular would be what I would buy, would there be any benefit to stiff for me?

OnTheWarpath15 03-06-2009 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 5560262)

#1 - What degree's do you want for a long iron? I found a site showing individual clubs and they list 18, 21, 24, & 27.

#2 - Which would be better - steel or graphite? I think steel would be better...but I'm also not that good.

#3 - Regular or stiff? Regular would be what I would buy, would there be any benefit to stiff for me?

1) 18* would replace a 2-iron. 21* would replace a 3-iron, etc.

2) Hamas would be the person to ask on this, or Smitty.

3) Depends on your swing speed. Anything over 90, and I'd probably go stiff shaft, regardless of steel/graphite.

OnTheWarpath15 03-06-2009 09:24 AM

Personally, I'm not a fan of hybrids. However, the best one I've ever hit was this:

http://www.tgw.com/customer/category...EGORY_ID=10203

I'd get somewhere and demo this club, at $100 it's a bargain.

Or, you could try to find some Bridgestone J33's. Probably could find 2 on Ebay for the price of 1 new.

Stinger 03-06-2009 09:27 AM

Quote:

20-21 degree = 3 iron ..... 22-23 degree = 4 iron

Graphite easier to swing, lighter, less vibration .... Steel more durable usually get more control.

Depends on your swing speed If you have a faster swing speed get the stiff, if you don't (most golfers are in this group) get the regular. If you have a faster swing speed and you have a regular shaft it will flex easier, and before the point needed, and a lot less control. On the other hand if you have a normal speed swing and you use a stiff flex it won't flex when you need it and will lose distance.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-06-2009 10:57 AM

It's not just swing speed, it's also swing tempo. Some guys load a shaft a lot quicker than others, especially if you have a quick transition from backswing to downswing.

John Daly actually has played R flex shafts at several points. Fred Couples once used Tom Watson's wife's driver as a 3-wood in tournament play (complete with a ladies shaft).

If you are looking at hybrids, I'd tell you to go to a place that carries used sticks and try them out outdoors on a range if at all possible.

The pro shop up at Smithville has a lot of demo days, and a pretty wide selection if you are up in the Northland. If you are farther south, there is a golf discount not too far from Minor Park that has an outdoor range that you can try clubs out on.

Really, the most important part of any club is the shaft, so if you find a head you like, try out a number of shaft and flex combinations until you come up with a winner.

For used hybrids, I have a Sonartec MD that I like, but it's not the easiest thing to hit in the world. It's useful for a variety of shots off the green, but there are times when its distance leaves something to be desired.

The Callaway Heavenwoods were pretty well regarded, I'd also tell you to take a look at the Ping G5s, the Cleveland Hibore, and the Nickents.

Mr. Plow 03-06-2009 11:06 AM

Thanks a lot guys! Lots of good info.

Now, can you convince my wife that I need 2 new clubs, a new bag, and some new shoes?

OnTheWarpath15 03-06-2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 5560536)
Thanks a lot guys! Lots of good info.

Now, can you convince my wife that I need 2 new clubs, a new bag, and some new shoes?

What size show do you wear?

I have a few spare pair sitting around I could sell you for cheap.

Also have a basic stand bag I'm looking to unload.

Mr. Plow 03-06-2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 5560584)
What size show do you wear?

I have a few spare pair sitting around I could sell you for cheap.

Also have a basic stand bag I'm looking to unload.

I wear a size 22. That's right, I've got an 11 inch.....

No, I wear size 11 and I'm probably going to get a cart bag if I can get a good deal on one.

My bad last night fell apart.....AGAIN. Stupid freakin' bag.

OnTheWarpath15 03-06-2009 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 5560601)
I wear a size 22. That's right, I've got an 11 inch.....

No, I wear size 11 and I'm probably going to get a cart bag if I can get a good deal on one.

My bad last night fell apart.....AGAIN. Stupid freakin' bag.

Eh.

I had a primo pair of $200 Footjoys I would have all but given you, but they are 10's

Mr. Plow 03-06-2009 11:42 AM

Damn you and your smaller than mine feet.

smittysbar 03-08-2009 02:36 AM

Quote:

I still hit my long irons, but have put a 20* hybrid in my bag. You will love them, especially if you have problems hitting long irons.

#1 - They say a 20* should be about a 4 iron, but from experience and watching several others, you will hit a hybrid farther than the iron it is supposed to replace. So I sometimes pull my 3 iron and hit a hybrid which is what they would call a 4.

#2 - Can't really go wrong either way, I am using graphite, as most others are too.

#3 - All depends on your swing? Go with what you have in your wood/irons. If you are a Reg and swing a stiff you will lose distance.

FYI - Adams makes good hybrids, and can be bought cheap. I don't like offset, but for the average golfer it is a good thing. I picked up one off e bay for $11.50 for a brand new Idea, I gave it to a friend, and he loves it. I am hitting a Cobra right now.

I will say, Hybrids are probably one of the best things that have came out in golf to improve the game of a recreational golfer. People that struggle to hit 3 and 4 or even 5, if you want to go that far, will be amazed.

Just get on ebay, 3balls or other big stores, will have plenty of cheap choices for you.

smittysbar 03-08-2009 02:49 AM

j-rob, a new poster to the planet, is a VERY good golfer also. He is hitting a Cobra at the moment and loves it. The main reason we bought these Hybrids is we have a 225 yard par 3, all carry over water. Seems to be the perfect club for this hole, I go back and forth between it and my 4 iron depending on wind.

If he posts in here, which I am sure he will, he is very knowledgeable.

kstater 03-08-2009 04:05 AM

Played Friday. Shot an 88 which was OK due to not playing but 4 times since October. Started out ok with a 41, but could tell I was getting tired towards the end and had to go par, par to shoot 47 on the back 9. Need to get out more and get my legs built back up.

OnTheWarpath15 03-08-2009 08:12 AM

Dammit...

I have a tee time this afternoon, the forecast yesterday said all this rain would be through overnight.

It hasn't made it here yet. Looks like I may get washed out.

Mr. Plow 03-08-2009 11:42 AM

I've got a tee time at 2:15p today. Looking forward to hitting a few.

Shag 03-08-2009 12:42 PM

So jealous of you folks having tee times already. Likely to be at least a month before I'll be able to get out... :(

smittysbar 03-08-2009 06:09 PM

I played Wed, Thurs, Fri, and Sat. Kinda stiff today

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-12-2009 03:40 PM

Holy shit!!

Mickelson just punished the back 9 at doral.

Shoots a 30 on the back 9 for a 65, chips in at 17 and 18, 8 putts on the backside and 20 putts for the total round.

That's the greatest display of short game wizardry I've ever seen.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-15-2009 03:21 PM

There was just a great exchange between Phil and Bones on 12 after Phil was underneath a ****ing shrub.

Makes me appreciate how hard it must be for Bones not to kneecap him.

He turns the club upside down and hits a shot right handed underneath a shrub, surrounded by Palms with OB if he catches a bad deflection.

ROFL ROFL

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-15-2009 03:30 PM

Watney has played four of the craziest holes I've seen.

Hitting perfect drives, chunking chips, blowing irons way right, pitching in from impossible angles, leaving balls in bunkers...wow.

He and Mickelson both have 12 foot par putts on a hole they should have birdied, but they are 7 shots clear.

Shag 03-15-2009 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5584696)
He turns the club upside down and hits a shot right handed underneath a shrub, surrounded by Palms with OB if he catches a bad deflection.

ROFL ROFL

I can't believe he even tried that. As terrible a decision as it was, I was impressed at how well he hit that ball - if it hadn't hit that tree, it looked like it would have advanced down the fairway quite a ways.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-15-2009 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 5584721)
I can't believe he even tried that. As terrible a decision as it was, I was impressed at how well he hit that ball - if it hadn't hit that tree, it looked like it would have advanced down the fairway quite a ways.

He's an 8 handicap right handed. No shit.

smittysbar 03-15-2009 03:55 PM

This could end up a great finish

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-15-2009 03:58 PM

The world's ugliest man is making a charge.

I think Phil's happy he got rid of those KBS shafts and went back to his old PXs.

smittysbar 03-15-2009 04:06 PM

Furyk charging

smittysbar 03-15-2009 04:21 PM

MU got a 3 seed

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-15-2009 04:36 PM

I can't believe that asshole shouting "Get in the water" when Phil hit his tee shot.

That's why I couldn't be an announcer. I'd say on air that he should be summarily executed.

WilliamTheIrish 03-15-2009 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5584937)
I can't believe that asshole shouting "Get in the water" when Phil hit his tee shot.

That's why I couldn't be an announcer. I'd say on air that he should be summarily executed.

Rude. But ridiculously funny (to me)

WilliamTheIrish 03-15-2009 04:43 PM

Nice Putt. Thought Watney was going to drop that putt.

smittysbar 03-15-2009 04:47 PM

Phil holds it together, gets the win. Think they said it was his 36th win, moving him into a tie at 12 for most career wins.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-15-2009 05:02 PM

Ballsy win. I don't even like hitting balls on the range when I have a hangover, let alone playing 54 holes with food poisoning.

Jerm 03-15-2009 06:50 PM

If Phil continues to drive like that, he's going to win at Augusta and have a monster year.

He's striking the ball so well and his short game is the best it's been...it's always been about the driving and he's just ripping it and keeping it in play.

This has to give him a ton of confidence.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-15-2009 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 5585496)
If Phil continues to drive like that, he's going to win at Augusta and have a monster year.

He's striking the ball so well and his short game is the best it's been...it's always been about the driving and he's just ripping it and keeping it in play.

This has to give him a ton of confidence.

As long as he can still tear it and not get too long with the driver or across the line, like he's been in the past, it's a good strategy.

I think it helped that he simplified his short game instead of Pelz'ing it up.

He cost himself several majors by not getting in shape sooner and keeping dumbass Rick Smith as his coach for years.

Jerm 03-15-2009 06:59 PM

The Masters is going to be very, very intriguing and awesome...esp. if Tiger's game is in shape by then.

You know the hype with Mickelson/Woods for the #1 ranking would be incredible.

Jerm 03-17-2009 05:30 PM

Well just got home from a 63 hole marathon golfing session with my dad.

I'm so friggin' sore and tired and sunburned lol. I can't remember the last time I played that much.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-17-2009 05:42 PM

Practiced for an hour and a half again today.

I'm trying to focus on standing taller over the ball and keeping my weight on the inside half of my right foot so I don't sway as much in the backswing.

Unfortunately, I can never tell how far I'm actually hitting the ball since I hit balls at a muni that has decrepit ass range balls and I have astigmatism so I lose sight of the ball after about 200 yards in the air.

Jerm 03-17-2009 05:43 PM

I need to get to the range...was actually shocked how well I played today for not swinging a club in quite some time.

Struck the ball very nicely, putter was rusty though...ugh lol.

kstater 03-17-2009 06:30 PM

After a horrible, horrible, horrible round Friday that consisted on 0 GIR and 0 pars, went out and played nine today. 6 over 41 while finishing bogey bogey double. Overall happy, just got sloppy and unlucky on one shot at the end.

Got my balls in from lostgolfballs.com. 8 dozen Nike One Platinum(AAAAA) for $126 off the ebay site. Only 2 had scuffs on them, while around 10 had a slight mark that they had painted over. They played just like new though.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-17-2009 06:36 PM

Smitty and OTW (or anyone else)

Anyone here good at diagnosing swing flaws?

I made a gif and video of my swing that I'd like someone to take a look at to see if anything jumps out at them. I'd be much appreciative.

OnTheWarpath15 03-18-2009 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5590410)

I made a gif and video of my swing that I'd like someone to take a look at to see if anything jumps out at them. I'd be much appreciative.

Shoot me a PM. I'll take a look.

OnTheWarpath15 03-18-2009 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 5590393)
After a horrible, horrible, horrible round Friday that consisted on 0 GIR and 0 pars, went out and played nine today. 6 over 41 while finishing bogey bogey double. Overall happy, just got sloppy and unlucky on one shot at the end.

Got my balls in from lostgolfballs.com. 8 dozen Nike One Platinum(AAAAA) for $126 off the ebay site. Only 2 had scuffs on them, while around 10 had a slight mark that they had painted over. They played just like new though.

Wow. $16/dz.

Sounds like SOP for LGB's. When I order over 6 dozen, there's never more than a handful with scuffs, and they are usually VERY slight.

I'm not sure why anyone pays retail for golf balls.

smittysbar 03-23-2009 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5590410)

Yeah, I am good at it. If I can get my cd rom running soon, I have all the software to analysis it too. j-rob is good at it also, I think he lurks a lot. Just a helpfull hint when recording your swing, turn and tell the camera the result of the shot.

On golf balls: Golf Digest (I think) this month had a good article on buying used balls, and the websites that they bought from, good read.

I should put helpfull links in the OP of this thread.

Went out today and played in the noon game, couldn't believe anyone showed up. We had crazy winds here today. Shot a 79, hit the ball good, but man that wind was crazy. It would bend the hell out of putts, throw small chips offline, at one point I hit a hybid from 145 out into the gusting wind, It was pin high, the norm I hit that club is about 220. Oh well, better than work.

smittysbar 03-23-2009 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 5591452)
Wow. $16/dz.

Sounds like SOP for LGB's. When I order over 6 dozen, there's never more than a handful with scuffs, and they are usually VERY slight.

I'm not sure why anyone pays retail for golf balls.

OTWP, from the looks of your Av and Sig, you got the fever

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-23-2009 11:37 PM

The last two times at the range I've really worked at maintaining the flex in my right knee as I hit through the ball. I think one of my biggest problems is that I tend to lose it when I come down into the ball, which tilts my hip up, and throws my swing plane off.

I'm going to track down a camera and film my swing again so that I can take another look @ it.

OnTheWarpath15 03-24-2009 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smittysbar (Post 5605806)
OTWP, from the looks of your Av and Sig, you got the fever

Absolutely.

Played yesterday in gale force winds, and have a trip to the lake planned this weekend to play 4 rounds in 3 days. Tantara, Osage National and Old Kinderhook.

The thumb feels surprisingly good (Doc said I can't do any more damage) so I'm off and running.

28 putts yesterday with my new Cameron. Too bad the rest of my game is shit.

:D

smittysbar 03-24-2009 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 5605997)
Absolutely.

Played yesterday in gale force winds, and have a trip to the lake planned this weekend to play 4 rounds in 3 days. Tantara, Osage National and Old Kinderhook.

The thumb feels surprisingly good (Doc said I can't do any more damage) so I'm off and running.

28 putts yesterday with my new Cameron. Too bad the rest of my game is shit.

:D

I love Cameron putters, I will never get rid of the one I'm putting with right now. But if I switch, it will be to another Cameron. Great thing about them is, you can use them for years and still get your money back out of them, or even more.

I have a RH Scotty that I need to send off sometime, guy got pissed in a tournament we were playing in, we beat them on the last hole, he threw it, when I picked it up, I handed it back to him and he said, "keep it".

kstater 03-28-2009 04:00 PM

Tiger has lost his ball in the bank on 18. Has to go back a long, LONG way to hit his now 4th shot.

kstater 03-28-2009 04:06 PM

Hell of a 5.

kstater 03-29-2009 12:40 PM

Shawn Ohare and Jason Gore(I think, it might be Johnson) playing in the last group with Tiger.

Ohare has a 5 shot advantage. It should be interesting at least, if Tiger can put his whole game together today. Last time it was putting, this week it's been his iron play.

kstater 03-29-2009 01:26 PM

Tiger telling O'hare to grab his ankles.

Skip Towne 03-29-2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 5622543)
Tiger telling O'hare to grab his ankles.

Yep, dude looks like Tiger meat.

kstater 03-29-2009 04:04 PM

Hunter Mayhan who was on the leaderboard when making the turn yesterday, finishes his colapse from yesterday with a 5 putt triple bogey. I've had a 4 putt before, I can't imagine what a 5 putt would be like.

Skip Towne 03-29-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 5623028)
Hunter Mayhan who was on the leaderboard when making the turn yesterday, finishes his colapse from yesterday with a 5 putt triple bogey. I've had a 4 putt before, I can't imagine what a 5 putt would be like.

I don't know. I'll ask William the Irish. I'm sure he knows.

smittysbar 03-29-2009 04:43 PM

These bunkers are eating the ball

kstater 03-29-2009 05:01 PM

Tiger now tied.
Quote:

Originally Posted by smittysbar (Post 5623120)
These bunkers are eating the ball

I think they have a bit too much sand in the faces. Seems like there is like 8 inches of sand there. I haven't seen a ball roll off the face.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-29-2009 05:09 PM

Way to lay the sod over the ball, dumbass.

kstater 03-29-2009 05:09 PM

Game set and match. O'hair puts it in the hazard.

kstater 03-29-2009 05:12 PM

LMAO

"Why's he aiming that far right?"

Tiger sticks it to 2 feet.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-29-2009 05:15 PM

That O'Hair shot was almost a mirror image of Tom Lehman's dumbassery at Congressional in 1997, but at least Lehman needed a birdie.

That is a red light flag if there ever was one. There is no excuse to shoot for anything other than the back middle of that green.

Bowser 03-29-2009 05:18 PM

What was he back coming into today? 6?

smittysbar 03-29-2009 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 5623254)
LMAO

"Why's he aiming that far right?"

Tiger sticks it to 2 feet.

That was hilarious.

smittysbar 03-29-2009 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 5623286)
What was he back coming into today? 6?

kstater 03-29-2009 05:23 PM

Another buried bunker lie.

Jerm 03-29-2009 05:24 PM

Holy crap that's a nasty lie...buried and right up against the lip.

kstater 03-29-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 5623307)
Holy crap that's a nasty lie...buried and right up against the lip.

He's had plenty of practice today, that's his third buried lie.

smittysbar 03-29-2009 05:25 PM

Tiger looks like he is gonna give one back